Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
4
"Dad please." Grace pleaded.

"Who invited HIM?" he asked pointing at Jack

Everyone was watching them, David looking between his grandfather, his mother and Jack trying to find out what was happening.

"Mom?" he said, Cassie and Sam moved up and both attached themselves to one of Jacks arms.

"Jack?" Sam said

"Get him out of here" the old man shouted at his daughter

"I am not going anywhere" Jack said calmly

"General O'Neill?" a party of SFs pulled up outside the hall, they had directed the coach from the gates and when they heard the shouting and decided to investigate, but they were not going to go barrelling into an argument involving Jack.

"It's OK" Jack told them, they stepped back but didn't leave.

"HA! General O'Neill?" They could see the staggering man turning purple with rage. "Grace, get rid of him!" the other adult members of the family were getting off the bus, trying to see what was happening, the older set all seemed to line up in front of the younger ones. Shielding them from the action.

"Peter, Hope, Luke" Jack said nodding to each in turn

"Jesus Jonathan haven't seen you in years" Peter said "how come you're here?"

"Cassie is my…niece" he said

"Daughter" she supplied for him and he smiled down at her

"Daughter" he agreed

"Oh shit" Luke said

"No kidding" Jack agreed, SG1 and everyone under 40 looked puzzled.

"No grandson of mine is going to marry a daughter of HIS… It ain't allowed!" the nasty old man snapped

"Shut it" Jack snapped back and he turned to the young couple "get out of here, this will probably turn nasty"

"Do what your Uncle Jonathan says" Grace told her son, he looked up sharply and Jack nodded.

"I'll come by in the morning and explain" he said and ushered them away. Jacob and Jon left with them. Most of the family boarded the coach again on Graces instructions and they drove away to the motel they had booked out. The old man could hardly stand and Grace moved to support him, but he pushed her away, Jack took a step forward but she raised her hand and stopped him.

"Now you've lost your audience are you going to sober up?" Jack asked, sneering.

"I want nothing to do with you" and he spit on the ground at Jacks feet.

"The feeling is mutual, I can assure you" Jack said swinging back to the rest.

"So you made General?" Peter asked "Mom would have been proud" he grinned

More spittle hit the ground closer to Jacks feet this time.

"Yeah she would" Jack agreed softly

"But why O'Neill?" he asked

"You think I want to be named after HIM?" he asked and pointed at the old man

"He is your father Jonathan" Grace said, he heard Sam gasp and Daniel walked a full pace forward.

"Yeah well not if either of us has anything to say on it" Jack said. "Look I got some business to tell you all about, can we meet here tomorrow morning? Say 0900? Leave HIM behind though." His sisters and brothers nodded.

"And bring everyone who is in the service, or over 18, I may as well give you all these" he drew a pile of official orders out of the bag on his shoulder, he was glad he had brought them and not waited until the party, it was better if he could get this out of the way and not spoil Cassies day any more than his father was going to.

"Hey one of these is for me" Michael said

"Yeah" Jack said "Sorry Michael, I have my orders from the Joint Chiefs, I may have to call you back up out of retirement" he said. "Oh and you have David, Jacob and Jons papers there too, I lumped 'em all together, I'll pick 'em up on my way" He looked around "Is anyone not going to be here? Anyone deployed and I haven't heard?"

"No Jon" Grace said "The only ones who couldn't make it were Mike junior and Adam and they got last minute permission" she looked up at her brother "you?" she asked and he nodded, there were advantages to being a General even if he wasn't in the same service.

Jack turned to the patrol. "Can you lot manage to get some cars here and get these people to their motel?" Jack asked

"Sir, Yes Sir" the patrol leader said and went to the jeep to call up more cars.

"It isn't far but you may as well ride" Jack told his family. "I'll see you in the morning"

He turned to his team, old and new "I guess I better tell you lot first" he said

"I thought my father was bad!" Vala said, Cam elbowed her to be quiet and decided that maybe they would be better elsewhere so he grabbed her arm and excused them both and drove her back to the base. He knew enough to know that they weren't really included in Jacks invitation, and he didn't take offence.

Daniel Teal'c and Sam all piled into the truck and Jack drove back to his home.
OoΩoO

"So… you just met my dad and family" he told them scrubbing his face with his hands "as you can guess we don't get on"

"Grace seemed to be OK"

"The kids are all OK, well sort of, they are just still terrified of the bastard" he said "none of them have the guts to stand up to him even though he's pushing 80 now"

"So… what about tomorrow" Daniel asked, the last thing any of them wanted was Cassies day spoiled

"With luck someone will show him a bottle early on and he won't turn up, but if he does I want you to be ready, he's a nasty piece of work and just cos he's old doesn't mean he will be any better."

"Yeah we noticed that" Sam said

"T, I want you to look after Sam and Cassie if he turns up" Teal'c accepted the duty with his usual nod. Jack knew his father used to delight in hitting women and if he thought they meant something to Jack he would do it even more, though Carter could kick his arse for him, Cassie was another thing altogether.

That was about all that Jack was willing to share, so they ordered a Chinese and afterwards settled down around the house, Sam and him in their room, Teal'c on the pull out in Cassies and Daniel in the room they would shortly be turning into the nursery.
OoΩoO

Sam tried to get him to talk more once she had him alone, but as usual he found he just could not say what was on his mind, every time he thought about him his blood started to boil. How he had held it together earlier he had no idea, but he had been close to hitting him, and Jack knew if he started he wouldn't stop until the old man was dead!

He had a nightmare that night that he had not had for years! Sam didn't understand when Jack cried out for Mark, but Jack knew what he had been dreaming about, as soon as he woke and she asked who Mark was.

The memory of it all came crashing back and Jack remembered every detail of the day, he shook from the power of it and held her close until she soothed it away. He grabbed her tight, and as an affirmation of life he felt the need to be closer to her…they made love, frantically at first, calming and loving at the end. She held him afterwards as he wept, until he slept once more.
OoΩoO