Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
20
Jennifer, Daniel, Teal'c, Jane Flynn, the security detail and of course Jack and Sam were stood at the base of the ramp, Jack met Hanks eye and Hank gave the order to dial up. They passed through the event horizon smoothly and within 3 minutes were back in the room.

One of his security men had to be helped to the nearest head, two trips so quickly for someone who reacted badly was cruel, but Jack wasn't about to hang around in the Land of Light for him to recover before they returned, the last thing he needed was one of Tuplos magnificent feasts first thing in a morning, and the guy would definitely insisted on one if they had been caught. Especially as Melosia had just given birth to his first grand children, triplets!

Carolyn was waiting as they returned, and she told them, as they walked to the infirmary, that the preliminary tests she had run had already shown a marked improvement of liver function, the tests she still had to run though would say whether there was any permanent damage.

Jack went with her to the infirmary, glad to see the young SF wasn't there, he smiled at the person who was.

"Hey Siler!" he waved, Siler would have probably jumped to his feet for any other officer but he knew Jacks standing orders and so he grinned and waved back, with his good hand.

"Now I'll be back before time to go home" he said, kissing her cheek "you just do what the doctor tells you to" she smiled, and relaxed on the bed as a nurse drew some blood.

Jack indicated with his head and stepped into Carolyns office, she followed him and he closed the door. The second the door shut behind her his mask of friendly amiability dropped.

"I am only going to say this once, You WILL tell me everything you find out, I don't care how much Sam wants to protect me, her protection almost cost the life of her and the baby! If we had known sooner then we could have found the solution sooner. If you have a problem following this order tell me now, because I will have you replaced before I leave this morning"

Carolyns usually swarthy complexion paled and then darkened in embarrassment as he spoke, he was deadly serious and she knew it. She swallowed several times before she could speak. "Colonel Carter has already told me to tell you everything sir, and she has given me a written and witnessed statement to that effect. You have to understand though I was only…" Jack held his hand up and closed his fingers, he didn't want to know.

He was past angry with the woman, and only the fact that she and Sam had become friends and Sam wanted her as her doctor had prevented him from getting rid of her already. SHE had jeopardised his wife and child. He knew it was on Sams orders, and he knew it wasn't entirely fair to blame her when he couldn't blame Sam, but he knew what Sam was doing when she hadn't told him… and why. He didn't make the same allowance for the woman in front of him, and by the way she was avoiding his gaze he guessed that the anger he felt was easily visible.

He cleared his face and put back the professional mask he had worn for so many years and he stepped out of the room, he knew Sam would see through it so he just waved as he passed by her bed and marched out of the infirmary.

He got to ground level, his escort stuck firmly to his heels, and found Teal'c and the family waiting for him.

"O'Neill, I understand you are to be piloting today" the Jaffa warrior said, Jack nodded, his temper still close to the surface. "May I suggest you take Captain Flynn with you on this journey?" Jack thought about it, it was true he had been surprised when T had brought Jane along that morning, but he was also pushing for her to go on his recruiting jaunts?

Hell why not? He nodded and T inclined his head and exited the tunnel, followed by the rest of the AGs, perfectly in step behind him.

"After you" Jack said, looking at his niece. She shot him a panicked look and approached the craft, that had been uncovered in preparation for the journey. Jack was pleased when the back door lowered and she stepped inside, he hadn't had to tell her what to think… she seemed to be a natural!
OoΩoO

Jack piloted the craft, the security detail sat on the comfortable benches in the back and Jane had second seat. The act of flying, even in the puddle jumper calmed him. He loved flying! Even with the lack of physical feedback involved with the ancient technology he felt complete in the air as he rarely did on the ground.

Several times he caught flickers of screens popping up on her side of the windshield and he told her to go ahead, learn the systems. The jumper automatically didn't interfere with his view as she asked for and received data on the atmosphere, on the geography and the craft, the flight only took 40 minutes, very slow for the puddle jumper, but he wasn't in any hurry, he knew the craft was capable of going to the limit of the solar system in a day! He wanted to enjoy the ride though!

As they landed, in the underground hanger, Jack got out of his seat and opened the back doors with his mind, the SFs looked suitably impressed with the machine, in fact one of them was running his hands down the sides as if petting a horse, there was a man who probably named his car!

Jack jumped out, Jane and the detail followed him and soon he was threading his way through the parked VTOL craft that the hanger was usually used for.

As he approached the doors to the hanger, that led to familiar looking corridors, he was met by the chief in charge of the maintenance of the craft.

"Who's the pilot?" he asked, Jack put his hand up, much to the mans surprise…it wasn't every day a General piloted anything! "Need someone to go over your bird?" he asked. Jack smiled at him, wondering what the hell he could do to the puddle jumper. Usually every plane that was flown had a complete inspection afterwards, and it was the chiefs job to assign a crew to do it. Jack shook his head.

"No thanks Chief. It'll be OK until we return to base, just keep your people away from it will you, classified" he looked back, he could already see a problem, the craft was flush with the floor and could be seen from quite a distance away, he gestured to Jane and she approached him "Go back to the jumper, and tell it to go stealth, if that doesn't work think 'invisible'" he said in a low voice, she looked at him and then nodded and headed back the way they had come. Jack saw the craft 'disappear' and turned to the chief.

"Actually chief, this shouldn't take too long, keep all your people out of here until I say otherwise, and get me the base CO on the com"

Jack was handed a com unit and spoke to the one star General in charge of the base, telling him that he was locking the hanger because of the nature of his craft and ordering the security tapes to be destroyed, without anyone seeing them first!

He then entered the dull grey corridors that so closely resembled the SGC and made his way to the surface, and into the commissary for a coffee, before going for the operations briefing room.

He surveyed the 22 people in front of him, he reckoned at least half of them were under 30 years of age, a good thing considering the long term nature of the work they were going to be employed in.

He introduced himself, ignoring the others of his party and gave the same reason for testing as Sam had invented for the family.

He ordered people to get into rank, not bothered about who was in which service, and Jane produced a clipboard from somewhere, she wrote each persons name, rank, service and occupation down as they approached her, and then she filled in their AG rank as Jack tested each and told her.

At the end of the 22 Jack surveyed the results. As was expected, most of them were 2s, luckily they only had one level 1, and that was an older Army Colonel, so they dismissed him immediately.

Of them all Jack was most pleased with a young navy Lieutenant, she was about 21 years of age, fresh from her academy, and had already done quite well as an engineer aboard her ship, she also tested as a 4, the first 4 outside the family.

There were 8 level 3s, 3 of whom were AF, 3 army 1 navy and 1 marine. The rest of them, the level 2s, were split between the forces, with only 4 of them being AF, Jack dismissed the other level 2s, with the 'don't say anything about this meeting and you will be contacted at a later date if needed'. He knew they would all be needed, but he was hoping that he would be able to find more 3s in the gulf.

That meant that the 'second class' of recruits would consist of 13 people, though he was tempted to put Lt. Whitaker into the family group, he was not sure if it would be the best idea.

He gave them all orders to report to Cheyenne Mountain by the following Monday and contacted each of their COs to confirm their reassignment.

When he got hold of the Captain of the young womans ship he met resistance, the man didn't want to release her, his promising rising star. Especially as they were due to sail on the morning tide.

It took Jack and the Coms officer at the base some time to set up a conference with the Navy CoS, but eventually Jack won, as he knew he would, and he insisted on her returning to the SGC with him immediately, rather than fly back to Hawaii where her ship was currently in port. He had a feeling if she returned she would 'accidently' go with the ship, he had met commanders like the Captain before.

He ordered her cabin packed and shipped, she should be fine with what they could scrounge up for her in the mean time, and he would send her into town with Jennifer and Sam for some civvies and necessities until her stuff arrived. He had a feeling the Captain wasn't going to hurry transporting her things.

He dismissed the meeting, reminding everyone they had a week to pack and report, ready for duty, on the Monday following, and he, his security detail and Jane and the young Lieutenant, went back to the hanger.

The SFs looked puzzled as they approached the empty space where they knew the craft had parked, an Jack watched them and the young woman closely as he 'thought' the craft visible, two of the SFs almost drew their weapons, Jack made a note, when they were finished baby sitting him, these two would be good for SG team members, the young Naval officer was wide eyed… she recovered fine but Jack wasn't too pleased at her reaction time. He would give her the benefit of the doubt for now, see what Teal'c could do with her.
OoΩoO