Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
19
"Jack, come on… Jack" he woke slowly, damn he was still tired, and he ached… not surprising when he realised he had been asleep in Carolyns chair. His back was sooo going to make him pay for that, probably for a week!

He looked at the blonde beauty who stood over him, calling his name, and he remembered!

He shot to his feet and pulled her into his arms. "Has she got the blood test results?" he asked.

"Yes she has" Sam laughed, "the naquadah is almost back to normal, we figure one more trip and it should be 'full', General Landry has it scheduled for Monday when you're off on your jaunt." He shook his head.

"No we do this together" he said, unwilling for her to visit even a 'safe' planet like Tuplos without a proper escort. "We can go before I leave on Monday, or even right now"

"Carolyn wants us to go home and rest, she's going to run some liver function tests on Monday so she thought it would be better if we wait until then." He nodded and pulled her tightly to him and kissed her thouroughly.

"And how are you feeling?" he asked, when he at last came up for air.

"Strangely I feel a lot better, I wouldn't have thought that I would feel the difference so quick but I do." He kissed her again, if he lost her now… after all these years, he doubted he could survive. He wouldn't be suicidal, he would just die, he knew he would.

"Let's get out of here" she whispered, they turned to the infirmary, and there in the doorway was an armed detail.

As Jack approached the Colonel stiffened to attention. "Sir!" he said, Jack waved him down, he hated all the saluting and stuff. "Orders, Sir, you are not to be unaccompanied at any time, it's for your own safety"

"Oh fer cryin' out loud!" Jack exclaimed and then he heard someone else.

"He should be in the brig" the young man whose wrist Jack had broken spoke up, and then he quailed as the whole detail glared at him.

"Don't worry about him" Jack said "He's upset because he got in my way" any sympathy he had felt for the young man had evapourated with his ongoing rancour.

"He got in your way sir?" the SF said, Jack nodded "And you only broke his wrist?"

"I was in a hurry" Jack said, the Colonel nodded.

"You would have to be not to kill him" he glared at the patient. "In future find out who you are dealing with BEFORE you act" he instructed.

"All I see is someone so used to power he gets away with things like this" the man waved his bandaged wrist.

Jack realised he wasn't in uniform, of course he had been enjoying a day off when he had stormed to the mountain, the young man had no idea who he was, not that that mattered, he shouldn't have interfered when it was obvious that Jack was going through, especially as he had already passed 2 security points to get to the place the man tried to interfere with him.

"You want to press charges son you go ahead" Jack said "I will plead guilty for breaking your wrist, after all I did do it" The young man looked astonished. But Jack was, quite honestly, not bothered, he would do it again if he had to, and no one who knew him could doubt it.

"Jack" Sam looked worried, he was past caring about his career though. All he cared about was keeping her safe, keeping their baby safe, and keeping the world safe, he could do that just as well as a Colonel as he could a General… the stars didn't mean that much to him. He dismissed the youth from his thoughts and turned to the officer.

"So Major, you're babysitting?" the Colonel nodded, still casting nasty glances at the young SF. "That mean I'm piloting you to Nellis on Monday and the Gulf later?"

"If you're going sir, then yes. Orders, you understand"

Jack nodded "And what about if we go through the 'gate?" he asked

"I don't have any orders concerning that Sir, is it likely?"

"I will be going through on Monday at the latest, but it will be less than 5 minutes, it's just a check. How about Jon?"

"Jon sir?"

"Yes, I understand he is to have a party too?"

The youth in question burst into the infirmary "You see what you've done to me, old man!" he shouted, gesturing, Jack grinned as a Major and 2 Lieutenants followed the young man.

"Jon" Jack said waving an introduction to the Colonel at his side. "meet MY babysitters"

"I don't need protection fer cryin' out loud!" the youth protested, "It's not like I'm head of Homeworld Security!"

"Colonel O'Neill!" Hank strode down the corridor… damn the infirmary was becoming the briefing room! "Under orders from the President of the United states you WILL accept an armed escort where ever you go on Earth, for your own protection, and Lieutenant General O'Neill you will too"

Both of them looked at each other guiltily, "Hey! Wait a minute" Jack said "Hank I outrank you"

"Do as your told Jack or I'm under orders to have you arrested and transported to DC" Jack cringed, he knew when he was beaten, if they got him to DC they wouldn't let him escape again.

"Ok, OK" he said. "You got somewhere to stay?" he asked Jon.

"If this is the reception I'm going to get then I think I'll go home" he replied. "Thanks God the Asgard gave us the technology for a power source that can power intergalactic wormholes. Call if you need anything, especially if it's to do with Carter" he smiled at Sam "You look after yourself and this grumpy old man" he said, she leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek.

"Come on then kids, you can see me off" Jon turned on his heels and walked away. His escort ran after him.

"Remind me again why I asked Thor to save his life?" Jack said, Sam giggled. "Come on, let's go" they exited the infirmary and the escort fell in behind. At least he didn't have to walk all the way across the car park now, there was the car, already by the entrance to the mountain, the detail split, 2 following in a jeep and one getting into the front of the car with the driver. Jack sighed… Sam snuggled into his side.

Oh yeah, there WERE some advantages, he thought… he would have had trouble driving if she kept that up… thankfully she did!
OoΩoO

Sunday passed quietly, Sam was still tired and Jack was still a little put out that no one had told him about the problem as soon as he had recovered.

He wanted to point out that once he had been told it had only taken a few hours to get people together and find a solution, but he didn't want to upset Sam, she was so used to being the one who solved everything herself, he felt if he pointed it out it would be like rubbing her nose in the fact that Jennifer Hailey had solved it.

Personally he wouldn't have cared if Ba'al had solved it, or even Adria…as long as it was solved and she lived!

Monday morning arrived and Jack reluctantly dressed in his full Class A uniform. Sam came behind him as he looked in the mirror, checking that his ribbons were all straight.

"You know… there's just something about you in this uniform" she told him, "I felt it that first day when I walked into the briefing room, and you have only improved since" she ran her hands down his chest… he loved the way she reacted when he wore the suit, he just wished that the only reason he had to wear it was for her reaction… he hated the damn thing, the collar was too stiff, it felt like a noose, and the coat was heavy, and almost always too warm for where he was. And the trousers! Well they were tailored of course, leaving him very little room to expand!

"Tuplos going to wonder what's going on if you arrive in full diplomatic gear" she said, he could almost see a light bulb appear above his head!

"Oh! Good point, I'll change to BDUs before we go through." He said, happy that at least part of the day he could be comfortable, and as she would be in the infirmary afterwards he may even sneak out in them.

'Wait a minute' he pulled himself up 'who's the damn General here?' he squashed the rebellious thought immediately, he knew it had nothing to do with rank, he was whipped, any tiny thing Sam wanted, Sam got, even if it was him in the monkey suit!

They stepped out of the house and within 2 minutes the official car, with escort, pulled up, he could have notified the detail but he was feeling petty so decided to see how long it would take them! He wondered where they had parked. They had to have been close, but he hoped he wasn't going to get another letter from the residents association about clogging up the street with armed men in armoured cars… like he had after that debacle with Ba'al and his clones in Seattle, back then his escort was a full platoon, 36 men and 2 officers! All of them sworn to secrecy because of his visits… he doubted the young First Lieutenant had even now told anyone that he had a wife, the young man had been in such awe of him!

Jack smiled as he opened the door for Sam, before the young driver could get around. She scooted over so he could lower into the near seat and as soon as he was settled she scooted back, so she was almost on his lap… and of course she was purring. He felt a twitch… damn woman, she knew these trousers were too damn tight! He glared at her, but it softened into a smile when she looked at him through her lashes… oh yeah, totally whipped!
OoΩoO