Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
13
By the time he got down to '28, whoever had come in had moved up to the briefing room, so Jack walked up the stairs to get there, noticing his knees weren't complaining as they usually did as he thumped his way up the steel staircase.

"Old man! Hear you had a bit of a boo boo" the youth grinned.

Hank was trying his best NOT to grin at the irreverent attitude being shown to his boss. Jack gave him a mock glare and Jon turned to the two star General "and I remember what happened in Bangkok when you got drunk on Saki so don't you grin too much" Hank jumped slightly and then blushed, Jack grinned this time, though Hank knew intellectually that the lad was him, he had not actually accepted it before… now mention of the infamous trip had convinced him the youth really did have all Jacks memories.

Hanks coughed into his hand, a mannerism that Jack recognised as one he himself used to hide embarrassment, "So, Jon, what brings you to the Milky way again?"

"The message I got about Jack here healing, I thought I would come through and ask for more details as there weren't any at all in the message I got."

"Well basically, I busted myself up pretty badly and somehow healed in a couple of hours"

"How badly?" he asked

"Iran/Iraq" Jack answered

"Ouch!" Jon cringed, remembering the battering they had taken back then. "So you want to know if I have had anything similar happen?" the other two men nodded. "Well, nope, but then I haven't injured myself lately anyway, they are wrapping me in cotton wool over there, I have to shout VERY loud to get offworld never mind into any actual danger!"

Jack actually was pleased about that, even though he knew how potty it would drive the young man, he didn't want to be reading the death notice of another 'son'. When Jon had first got over to the other galaxy he had assigned himself to an offworld team and had gone face to face with the Wraith several times before being ordered to either step back or be brought back, the President had not been willing to risk his life and had been tempted to send Sam back out again in his place if the youth had not listened.

The only reason Jon had done as he was told was because he didn't want to split Sam and Jack again after they had finally worked it all out.

"So how are we going to test this? Or can we test it may be a better question?"

"No idea, I wouldn't like either of us risking injury just to test if it's working, in case it isn't!"

"I suppose I could cut myself, something that is easily treatable" Jack said uncertainly, A voice from the doorway broke into the conversation.

"No you don't, a small break in a bone would be preferable to breaking the skin and risking infection!" Carolyn was walking into the room, Jack and Jon both jumped, "and we would need to do both of you at the same time, also Jon may need the download, or even a near death event to trigger his ability" she frowned at the three men, "all in all I don't recommend that either of you try it Sirs"

"I don't think it has anything to do with the download" Jon said, Hank looked at him puzzled.

"Why not?" he asked

"Because I think it's something else," Jack shook his head slightly trying to tell the young man to be quiet, unfortunately everyone caught the movement.

"Jack?" Hank asked "Something you need to tell us?"

"Not really" he glared at his younger self. He sighed, there was no point trying to hide it now. "Thor came to visit us before he died, that's why I didn't come along with you lot when you went to see them for the last time, he beamed both of us up to his ship and talked to us, then as we left he said he had given us a 'gift' that would come in useful later, I had no idea what it was"

"And I think this is it" Jon finished off

"But is it to do with the ancient gene?" Carolyn asked

"It must be, we know they had the ability, Thor probably just made a recessive gene linked to the AG into a dominant one" Jack said.

"Does this mean you can heal others do you think?" she asked suddenly, hope in her eyes

"Maybe… why?"

"Dave Dixons team came back about 6 days ago, Balinsky is in the ICU with a head injury, he's in a coma"

Both O'Neills looked at each other and communicated silently, then they rose and gestured for the doctor to precede them from the room, Hank followed as well as they made their way to the quiet side corridor where the ICU rooms were.

The red headed man was laying on the table in the centre of the room, wires and tubes ran in and out of his body and a steady beeping noise came from the machines at the head of the bed.

"You try first kid" Jack gestured. Jon put his hands in his pockets and puffed out his cheeks, rocking on his heels.

"I have no idea where to start, or how to start" he admitted.

"Try it as if it's a piece of ancient tech… just concentrate, like you did the first time you got into a puddle jumper" Carolyn suggested. The young man shrugged and moved to the far side of the bed, he placed his right hand on the archaeologists chest, he concentrated, and then suddenly moved his right hand to the mans head and his left to this chest, sweat stood out on the youths forehead, the heart monitors beeping sped up, he was definitely having some effect.

Balinksy coughed, and groaned, Jon was getting pale and swaying slightly, so Jack went over and put his hands on the man as well and suddenly the injured man opened his eyes, looking up at the General and Colonel both touching him. Carolyn moved swiftly to remove the breathing tube from the panicking man, as Jon broke contact, he sagged and fell to the floor, Jack rushed around and before Hank could move to help he picked him up without apparent effort, he sat him on the chair in the corner that the nurses used to sit on while they filled in the obs sheets.

"You OK?" Jack asked

"Yeah, takes a lot out of you" Jon answered weakly "Thanks for the help at the back end"

"You could feel me helping?" Jack asked and received a nod. Jack had felt something… familiar, but had not known exactly what it was.

"Dolmata" the youth said softly, already slumping down in his chair, Jack lifted him and Carolyn said

"Take him into the ward, into the usual SG1 bed, I want to observe him for a while" She hardly took her eyes off the test results she was getting from the SG13 member.

Jack carried the boy into the infirmary and placed him in the bed next to the doctors office, Janet had started putting SG1 members in the closest beds early on, so she could hear if they started complaining… well if he was honest, she put them there so she could stop HIM trying to bully her staff!

He stood over the youth until Carolyn came in, followed by her father. She took his blood pressure and other stats, and then looked at the Generals. "You slept for 40 hours after healing yourself, I think the process is very draining, and Jon did most of the healing here, hopefully he will be up and about soon, because the damage was not to himself and it wasn't anywhere as bad as yours was" Jack nodded "At least we know now that you both have it, and maybe if we investigate we can 'turn on' the ability in the AG4s at least, something that will be helpful if they are put into combat"

"I'm not sure it would help quick enough to be used in combat, you said yourself that I had to be resuscitated… and there's no advantage to healing if you are going to fall asleep after and get caught." Hank nodded in agreement.

"However it will help with situations like that" Jack inclined his head to the ICU area "I could try getting David, Jane and Mike to come in, but how would I explain it to them to try?"

"Let's wait first, I want to do a more in depth study of all of your DNA, and I have requested a specialist to help" the boy on the bed moaned and rolled onto his front, sticking his backside up in the air as he got comfortable… the three people around him got the hint and moved away with their conversation.

"As I was saying, I have asked for help and the request got approved, we are just waiting for the doctor to arrive, we had a bit of a problem convincing him to help us"

"Oh?" Jack questioned

"He had security clearance, and has known about what we do here for a while, but he seemed to think we were going to stop his own research and stop him seeing patients"

"Why?"

"Because he was one of the doctors contacted to see if he wanted to work on Atlantis when Dr Weir first came back, he refused to sign for the one year blind contract so he never went."

"Simon Wallace?" Jack asked and noticed the other two people look at him quickly.

"Erm yes" Carolyn said "I didn't know you knew him"

"I didn't, I met him after Elizabeth Weir went missing, he was the original next of kin when she left for Pegasus… when I went to tell him, he didn't seem surprised, though he was upset. He had just got married to someone and she wasn't pleased with him being told an ex-girlfriend was dead." Not pleased was an understatement, the couple were still screaming at each other when he reached his car to leave.

"Well, he's going to be here Monday," she said "and he also was one of the men working on the gene therapy programme after it started failing, so at least he will be able to get into the work quickly."

Jack nodded his head and the two men left the youth to sleep and the doctor to watch over him.

"Any idea where my lot are today?" Jack asked Hank, remembering he was supposed to be catching up on their training.

"Not a clue, Walter will know" the older man said

"Of course he will" Jack agreed with a smile, they ducked into the first room with a phone and got hold of Walter.

"In the training camp on the surface… warehouse D" Jack heard, D was where they ran certain scenarios, usually the 'you have to get box A before bomb B explodes' types, well at least the family were working well if they were up to that level of training already.

"OK, I'll need a jeep" Jack said

"You'll need a driver too, Carolyn said you shouldn't drive" Damn he was hoping that Hank didn't know that, he hated being driven around, in DC he had no choice, you couldn't have a 3 star General late for a meeting because he was trying to find a parking space… but he had hoped that around here he would be back to driving himself.

"OK… just for now though Hank, I'll go wait up top for him" he headed for the elevator, the other General stuck by him.

"Erm, Jack…wait by the security check in desk will you, the President wants you to have an armed escort for a while"

Jacks eyebrows rose in surprise "Why fer Gods sake?" he asked

"Because the man who was driving the rig that crashed into you was taken to the academy hospital to be treated for shock and he disappeared from there and hasn't been seen since! Not everyone is convinced it was an accident"

Oh yeah! That was all he needed! Someone on Earth out to get him! Jack sighed and ran his hand through his hair, he shrugged an agreement, there was no point arguing it out with Hank, after all he was just following orders.
OoΩoO