Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
12
Jack walked into his office at 0900 and registered the shock on the faces of his staff, it seemed no one had bothered to tell them he was OK, and unlike SG1, they had not camped the infirmary until they knew what was happening.

Juan was the first to find his voice "G-General! Glad to see you again Sir, we thought you were seriously hurt"

"All exaggerated" he told them, waving his hand.

"No sir, sorry sir, "he added quickly when Jack raised his eyes at the contradiction "I was in the car behind you when the accident happened, I saw how badly you were injured" the young man was trying to reconcile the obviously healthy General with the battered, blood soaked, body that had been taken from the wreck of his truck.

"A miracle of modern medicine, then" Jack was going to snap at someone soon, unless they stopped looking at him like he had 3 heads and started doing their work. "Carry on people… Juan with me" he walked through the outer office into his private adjoining one. "So anything happen the last 2 days I need to know?"

"The President called several times the first day, but I had to pass him to General Landry as we didn't know anything… the IOA is proposing another review of resources now we have so many people with the ancient gene available again… your trip to the middle east is booked for the end of the month, the 17 service men and women have received their orders to gather on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower, and they will be air lifted to a secluded secure area, where you have permission to land the cloaked puddle jumper and test them, anyone of a 3 or higher, or in the Airforce and a 2 and higher, will be re-assed ASAP to the SGC. The orders are already cut for each person and you just have to hand them out or cancel them" the aide looked at his ever present clipboard "next… there will be 22 at Nellis, on Monday of next week, of course that was dependant on you being up and around" again the man looked at his boss sideways as if to assure himself that it wasn't a trick that he was there "there is one more person to see down at Peterson, but we decided to collect everyone else that was left and bring them all here from the east coast you just have to decide when you want that to happen. There will be 4 that you have not seen after all this, as three are deployed far away"

"Far away? I have a puddle jumper" Jack pointed out

"Yes sir, but the IOA and Pentagon don't think it is worth you going all the way to McMurdo and Afghanistan to test just one person at each… one of the others is in a sub under the arctic ice for a 3 month mission, and the last, well I am having problems getting permission to talk to him for you, as he is in the maximum security wing of Leavenworth!" Jack raised an eyebrow, he would look over that one himself then, and decide if they were desperate enough to test him. He told his aide to make the Peterson meeting on Wednesday of the following week and to bring the meeting in the gulf forward to the Friday if possible.

Jack was about to dismiss the man back to his duties when the phone rang, "O'Neill" he answered, and was surprised to hear his Commander in Chief on the line, Jack waved to Juan to leave and sat himself in his chair.

"Jack, I just received a very strange report from Hank about you not being injured after all" the President said.

"Yeah, we are trying to work out if it is the ancient gene that caused it… though I can't think of anything else that possibly could be the reason, or why it suddenly stated working now"

"Well, glad to hear you are back on your feet, hows the training going?"

"Don't know as yet Sir, only had the one day with them before the accident, I'm going to go catch up with them when I've done all this lovely paperwork you keep sending me" Jack was glad his Chief had a sense of humour like his own "Teal'c had them on Tuesday, training, I guess he carried on while I was out of it. He knows what needs to be done." There was no sign on his desk of a report from the big man, "I was just going over the schedule for testing the AGs, the way we have it set up we should be able to run 4 training sessions at once, on rotation, depending how strong each is"

"Any hopes we will get a combat vet with a level 4? Jon has been in touch, while you were out, they only have him, 2 3s, not including Sheppard, and the rest are all 2s though that means they can run several offworld teams, if the pilot gets hit everyone has to walk back to the 'gate and get someone with the gene to go pick the craft back up, NOT an ideal situation, and if they are off to a world with a space 'gate then they have even more problems."

"Well sir, we are already better off than we were, there used to be only myself and Jon as 4s, and he was still in school, at least now we have Jane, she's an AF Captain, even though she has never been on the front lines, as well as the cadets coming along, David will be out of the Academy the end of the week"

"But he won't be ready to go to Pegasus yet… he needs more training before we throw him to the other galaxy, otherwise we would just as well be feeding him straight to the Wraith."

"Agreed"

"Will Captain Flynn be ready and willing to go, do you think?"

"I have no idea sir, even though they are family you have to remember I haven't even met most of them before last week. Last time I saw Jane before this, she was 3 years old!" The president chuckled. They said goodbye and Jack looked at the desk… it was true, he had no idea about any of the people he had in his new command, they could be total strangers as far as he was concerned, and he really should treat them as such.

"Juan!" he shouted and a head popped around the door, Jack had long since stopped the marching in and standing to attention that most Generals at the Pentagon insisted on "Any reason I should be here and not attending the training session?" he asked, his aide shook his head.

"No sir, just the usual paperwork" Jack stood and grabbed his BDU jacket from the back of his chair.

"'K I'll see you this afternoon then" he said and left through the other door, straight into the corridor on level 11, he had decided to keep his office above the second elevator to allow Hank sole command of the lower facility as much as possible with security the way it had to be. He made his way to the down elevator and travelled to 23 to see the 'class'.

No one was in the converted storage area, though it looked as if a bomb had dropped over in one corner, Jack looked around, schematics littered the desks, he picked a couple up and saw a Wraith dart and a puddle jumper, as well as a couple of other things he couldn't identify straight away.

"UNSCHEDULED OFFWORLD ACTIVATION" Walters voice echoed down the hallways and though it was no longer his responsibility, automatically Jack turned and moved to the 'gate room as quickly as he could.
OoΩoO