Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

It's all in the Genes

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
11
After dropping the two men back on the mountain Jack and Sam drove home, the main advantage of her being away from the front lines meant he would see her every day, and know she would be home next to him every night, or at least in the SGC if they didn't make it to the house.

They were just getting ready for bed when Sams cellphone beeped, she picked it up and opened it.

"Carolyn wants to see me in the morning" Sam said reading her phone "It can't be that important as she just sent a text"

She turned the screen so he could see, the text was as simple as she had said, but she had known he would worry she was hiding something if he hadn't seen it himself. He was about to mention her being tired when he decided to leave it, Carolyn probably already knew and was working on vitamins or something for her, he would bring it up later if she seemed to get no better.

They had both been guilty over the last few years of hiding the little niggling details from each other to protect their spouse from worrying too much, and though they were trying to be more open, it wasn't easy for either of them.

Sam went into the en-suite as Jack did his last check around the house, and she came out of the bathroom as he returned, he gasped, the light from behind her threw her body into silhouette, the sheer nighty she had on didn't hide much in the light and may as well not have been there at all, he immediately felt himself react to the sight, and all thoughts of doctors and tests left him for the rest of the night.
OoΩoO

They were late rising, unusually Sam slept past the alarm, Jack decided to allow her some extra sleep as she had been so tired of late, and he underestimated how long it would take her to get ready, so instead of the smooth run they usually had up to work they got caught in the traffic.

The traffic up to the mountain was heavier than ever that morning, a lot of the equipment that NORAD had used was being removed and destroyed, and huge diesel rigs were travelling up and down the mountain shifting the old fashioned computer banks and large display screens.

Jack arrived at the gate to the upper car park 1 hour 15 minutes later than he normally would have, the sergeant in charge made him pull over as another trailer was trying to turn to reverse out of the base, he tapped the wheel impatiently, noticing in the rear view that there were now 4 cars behind him. He hoped he wouldn't need to reverse, there was nowhere for him to go.

The rig almost made it, the tractor turned slightly too much as he exited the gate, and Jack only got a glimpse as the bed of the wagon travelled too far too fast and smashed into the cab of his truck, Jacks reactions were as quick as ever and he managed to grab Sam and shove her down, but his seat belt and the fact that he went to protect her and not himself, meant that he was crushed into his seat by the steel rear of the vehicle.
OoΩoO
A too familiar beeping noise, the smell of disinfectant and the noise of an instrument laden trolley going over the slight bump half way down the infirmary told Jack where he was before he even opened his eyes. He had thought that waking in this room was a thing of the past, he hadn't been subjected to it for more than 2 years now, and he wished he never would again.

He lay still, waiting for the inevitable pain to flood him, and was very surprised when it didn't… that wasn't good! He tested his fingers, everything seemed OK, then his toes, and he believed he could feel them as well. What was going on?

"He's awake" Daniels voice said, quick footsteps came closer, and Jack at last opened his eyes to see Carolyn advance, reaching for her pen light.

"You don't need that!" Jack said, surprised again when his voice worked without him needing a drink.

"Let me be the judge of that!" Carolyn said, and of course she shone the light into both his eyes.

"Sam?" Jack asked, pushing the physician out of the way when he realised she wasn't in sight.

"She's fine, she's in the bed next to you," the doctor said, the beeping sped up and she put a reassuring hand onto his shoulder, pushing him back into the bed. "She's only there because she's asleep, she got away with a few scratches from the windscreen glass, she's been at your side the full 30 hours since we got you out of surgery… by the way it's Thursday night"

Almost two days? Jack absorbed the lost time, it was something he was used to, in fact he had probably lost several months, if not a year of his life, through being unconscious after various injuries.

"Jack?" Sams sleepy voice came from his side, he turned to see her propping herself up "typical, you wake up the second I try to sleep" he saw her smile gently at him, and relief flooded his body… she was OK.

"So what's the damage?" he asked, Daniel and Sam both looked at Carolyn, who shrugged and returned their looks. "What?" he asked again.

"There isn't any" Carolyn said, taking the sticky pads off his chest and turning off the machines beside the bed. Jack looked puzzled at her… no damage? But he had had surgery? He swung his legs out of the bed, yup everything seemed to be working fine, not a twinge anywhere, and no sign of a scar either.

"How come?" he asked and saw the medic shrug.

"No idea, I was hoping you would be able to tell US" she said. "Let's start at the start… The rig pinned you to your seat, the left side of your chest was crushed, almost every rib on that side was broken and the lung collapsed, your diaphragm was damaged, as well as your heart, but everything below that was fine. We managed to free you from the vehicle quite quickly, though we had to restart your heart twice, and got you into surgery, while Dr Warner was working on you he noted in the voice recorder certain things happening, as he repaired the lung, the heart and diaphragm were repairing themselves and the ribs at the back were healing, by the time he had been working on you for an hour the damage was almost all gone, only the spreaders were keeping your chest open for him, he closed your chest and by the time we got you into post op you didn't even have a scar!"

Jack sat amazed… what the hell?

"Do you have any explanation for it?" Carolyn asked, he shook his head, Daniel stepped closer

"I had an idea, but I'm not sure how much it's worth" Jack gestured for him to continue "When you got that second download, you healed Bra'tac… remember?"

"You know I don't!" Jack had repeatedly told them that he remembered nothing past leaving the SGC to board the ship for Taonas, which wasn't totally true, he remembered improving the engine and his almost 'talk' with Sam, but nothing past that.

"OK, well Teal'c and I suspected that you had developed the healing power of the ancients, like Ayiana. But she couldn't heal herself, it looks like YOU CAN!"

"But I've been injured since then and not healed myself" Jack pointed out, remembering the state he came back from Atlantis after the replicators had had him.

"Maybe it had to be life and death?" Daniel speculated, "I've tried to contact Jon over in Atlantis, and left a message as he's away at the moment, to see if he has noticed anything."

"He didn't get the second download though" Jack said

"No, but it could be something that is genetic, something triggered by proximity to ancient tech, and Jon is in proximity a lot more than you are!" That was true, but Jack had another theory, he wasn't about to share it though.

"So… am I OK to go?" Jack asked, the doctor smiled at him and nodded.

"I suggest you both stay on base for now though General, even though you seem to be 100 % fit, there must be a reason why you slept for so long! Sam is too tired to drive, and you don't have a vehicle anyway at the moment." Jack would miss his truck, he had had it for years, but maybe it was time to get something a bit more family friendly… any kids would be in high school before they would be tall enough to climb into the monster by themselves.

He helped his wife off the bed and put his arm around her as Daniel opened the infirmary doors, they travelled together until they got to the lifts, Daniel pressed 18, heading to his lab rather than his quarters, Jack pressed 25 and headed to the VIP suite.

Once there he helped the sleepy woman get ready for bed and he joined her in it, holding her tightly, grateful that they were still together after yet another close call.
OoΩoO