Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Keeping it in the Family

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
9

Jane was thrilled with the kids, she was shocked at their maturity, chuffed to death that they were not shy and all accepted a cuddle from her without screaming for mum. She also asked several pointed questions but got no answers.

Mark knew his wife, since he had told her on Monday evening she had been trawling the internet, and with the kids being as old as they were he knew something else would be in her searches, he needed Sam to explain it to her better, to allow her to know what happened, Hell! She would understand it better than HE did!

Jack was adamant though, for some reason she had failed the security check, she knew all she could know! Mark was worried even more when he caught Jane counting backwards on her fingers, the only time she did that was when she was working dates out, he knew she had worked out that the kids shouldn't be Jacks!

When they got home Jane went for 'a lie down' but Mark followed her upstairs and heard her pick up he phone, he went into his office and picked his extension up, pressing the secrecy button so she wouldn’t notice the change in reception.

"Pete, when you and Sam split up…had she any kids?" he heard her asking

"No, besides Cassie, who isn't really a child any more, and she usually lived with O'Neill while we were together" he replied

"She has 11 month old kids!" Jane told him, Mark was about to interrupt the conversation when Pete said something that shocked him!

"I wouldn't be surprised at ANYTHING that comes out of the mountain" he said "I take it they aren't mine? No they wouldn't be… O'Neills?" he asked

"Yeah" Jane said weakly

"Yeah…" Pete sounded down now "ahh well, guess my 'get Sam back campaign' isn’t going to work, she finally got the man she has been in love with for almost a decade. Thanks for thinking of me Jane, but, honestly, don't do it again" the phone went down. Mark had to wonder, how much did Pete know?

Mark waited until Jane came downstairs and he hugged her and told her not to do it again, she could get into serious trouble with the authorities telling people stuff she knew was secret.

It took one more week for the O'Neill Family to move into their new house. Bosworths house was cleared by his family, after being swept by the SFs and Teal'c moved in. SG1 was really and finally retired as a team designation, with Sam deciding to stay on Earth most of the time, and Dixon and Bosworth missing from SG13, Teal'c was given command of the unit and he and Daniel were to join them in their missions.

Everything went along smoothly until…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The kids were 18 months old, the papers had been fudged by the AF to make their 'birth' coincide with their maturity, when Jane collapsed in the house when no one was there, it was several hours before Carol next door found her when she came to enquire why the car was still in the drive as it was Janes day to pick the kids up.

She was rushed to the academy hospital, Dr Lyman was contacted and told them her relevant history, and that was the first time Mark knew she had Leukaemia.

Sam insisted that she be brought to the base, and tried a 'healing device' on her, she said she could feel some improvement but not much. Jack took it off her as she started to collapse and took over using it, he used a lot more effort, but still could only help a small amount, he explained he had not used one more than a couple of times since he was 'blended'.

Jane was drifting in and out of consciousness, Dr Lyman explained that she had known she had the disease but had refused treatments, after looking on the bone marrow donor register and realising there wasn't a match for her. She wanted to 'go quick' rather than slow. Mark spent hours cursing her for her selfishness. Then spent hours weeping, holding her hand tightly.

The kids were allowed in to see her, the octuplets were on base that day because Thor was expected, and there was hope that he could help. However he told everyone gently that he could not help with this disease as it was spread through her whole body, he did offer to clone her, but she refused. After getting his sample from Grace he left, upset he could not help his good friends with their problem.

The adults were distracted by the doctor talking and Thor leaving and did not notice something strange happening. The toddlers had gathered around under the bed into a circle, they joined hands and sat still!

The monitors went wild! Jane started bucking in the bed as if in agony and then she fell back! She took a deep breath and fell unconscious. The doctor had rushed to her side and now he was studying the monitors and printouts with a very puzzled look on his face, he snapped at a nurse for a blood kit and as she was getting it he looked around, finally lifting the sheet that had fallen over the edge of the bed. He called Jack and Sam over and they saw their kids, sat still as Buddas hands joined, When Sam reached for the closest the doc told her

"NO" she snatched her hand back looking at him "Look at her!" the doctor pointed and they all looked. Though she was painfully thin, Jane actually looked … well. There were no black circles under her eyes, the lesions on her arms were gone. He pulled a print out from one of the machines and though Mark didn't understand what it measured even he could see a sudden change in the squiggly line, from erratic and small movements to regular bold ones.

The kids all collapsed and the adults dived for them, they were asleep! They were transferred to the nursery again and put in their cots.

"It must be something to do with the Ancient Gene" Sam said "It was like what you did with Master Bra'tac sir, and what Ayiana did with us. Because they are so small it took all eight of them."

"Ya think?" Jack said sarcastically "and if I remember correctly Ayiana died!"

"That was because she had the disease sir, not because she helped us" Sam went up close to him and said in a lower tone "Jack, they will be alright, YOU were after a rest"

"I'm 55 years old Sam, I have a lot more stamina than a bunch of 18 month old kids!" she wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his neck, he automatically held her, smoothing the back of her head "sorry Sam" he whispered to her "I just can't lose any of you again"

"I know Jack, don't worry, we will all be here with you, always" Mark thought he saw tears dropping from Jacks eyes, and turned back to the other room, the doctor and nurses were still busy around her, he watched until they allowed him back in and he entered to see her awake, though groggy, he wasn't sure if it was the drugs or the cure, he didn't care!

"What happened?" she asked

"I think you need security clearance" Mark answered, holding her tight and he cried into her neck, as Jack was doing in the other room.