Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Keeping it in the Family

by Tribal Matriarch
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
11
She returned to her seat and hissed, Fer stood and spoke for her to the rest of the gathering.

"The language ability was something I introduced to the children at the time I stopped their accelerated growth, it is an ability we bestow upon our children when they reach the age at which they can communicate, the healing process must have triggered it early, they were not due to use it until they reached 24 of your months maturity," he arose and walked towards the children, he smiled and knelt on the floor, he hissed at them but evidently they did not understand, he nodded and rose, returning to his seat he explained, "They have not developed Furling language, as I hoped, I wished for the human language to be the one they developed in this way, but there was always a chance that they absorbed ours as well. I did not, before, realise that humans did things differently, though since that time I have learnt from your broadcasts of 'schools' and the teaching process. I apologise if I have done something wrong, however it will in no way effect the children except for the fact that they will be able to understand at a young age things that others need time to learn. If you were to start teaching them, for instance, the science of living things, or of energy, or chemical reaction, they are ready and able to learn it now. The human learns best at an early age and therefore it would be advisable to teach them as much as you can before the age of 7 of your years, after that learning would slow, but of course not be impossible"

Jack and Sam looked slightly worried about the fact they had 8 child genii on their hands, especially as they were not even two but had a vocabulary of someone a LOT older, but at the same time pride shone out of their faces. The Doctor looked startled, as did Jane, Mark thought that all that family needed were 8 more Sams! He looked fondly at his sister and smiled slightly to himself.

Heimdall stood next and took the meeting over. "The Ancient Gene, while present in O'Neill from birth has bonded to the Naquadah introduced via their mother and magnified the childrens natural abilities, the ancients would not have been able to heal at all at that age, no matter how many tried, the ability usually only developed in puberty."

"Don't I have Naquadah in my bloodstream?" Jack asked "Though I hate to be reminded of it, I did have a snake or two in my time"

"The Naquadah in your blood is not bound to the gene as you were not born with it, and the spem you produce does not contain any, the female gamete is a lot larger and able to contain Naquadah, so it is from their mother that they have inherited this." Sam was nodding, Jack blushed when they mentioned his sperm and coughed into his hand… Mark just loved the fact that he blushed, he found it highly amusing. "Another thing we have observed from human biology, that we did not think to mention before, was that females of a certain biology, when a sudden cessation of reproductive hormones is triggered, by removal of reproductive organs, can suffer some side effects, when Thor has visited he has also discreetly scanned Colonel Carter, and we wish to offer to clone her ovaries and replace at least one them, we saved sufficient cells to do it. However there is no sign that the lack of the hormones Oestrogen and Progesterone are having serious effects on her, and it is actually doubtful that they will."

"What about Osteoporosis?" Dr. Lyman asked he explained what it was "A lot of women develop it when they have had a drop in those hormones"

"A human female naturally stops the production of those hormones at menopause, though Colonel Carter was several years away from the age that she could expect that to happen, it is a natural event, there is really no need to artificially boost the levels of the hormones, a regular dose of what her body used to produce is only necessary for a few years, replacing an ovary will have the same effect."

"Studies have shown that women in the menopause or who have had their ovaries removed show a marked bone density drop and several other side effects, we have a treatment known a Hormone Replacement Therapy to combat it" He opened his laptop and accessed something while he was talking, Heimdall scanned the screen with a stone and the 3D display reappeared with the study on it, again Nom and Heimdall read what was on the screen, and hissed slightly at each other.

"Who produced these 'studies'?" Heimdall asked

"Doctors and the drug companies I suppose" the doctor answered

"Then I respectfully suggest that they are a means to encourage the use of the drugs, human females on thousands of worlds manage quite well without the use of them, this includes the races that are in advance of yours, as well as those behind" the alien seemed to dismiss the doctor and his argument totally, Mark notice that Jane wasn't happy either, she was about as anti drug-company as she could get, considering her job, he could see papers refuting the use of HRT in their future!

"If there is no real need, then why offer to replace the ovaries?" Sam asked

"There are two reasons, the first is so your body can produce the hormones until such time as your biology stops naturally, this is to prevent symptoms that you are not actually displaying, admittedly, but there is another reason" she raised an eyebrow at the small grey, Mark wondered if it was catching, all the former SG1 did it, Teal'c best of all however. "We were hoping that we could persuade O'Neill and yourself to reproduce naturally, we have noticed from observing you while we are in orbit that you frequently attempt reproduction even though you are no longer capable of it, we would like to give you back the ability so your efforts are not wasted, the energy the two of you expend trying to copulate is being wasted by having no end result, and the fact that you are trying on such a regular basis shows that you view it as imperative" Mark almost choked as what was being said sunk into his consciousness, Sam was bright red, as was Daniel, Teal'c looked amused, the nurses were trying to remove the children with help from Balinsky and Wells who had helped bring them from level 21 from the room, both females were blushing as well. Dixon went into his office and shut the door, Mark could see him double over laughing through the glass window.

"What?" Jack said looking around at people. Sam wrote something on a pad of paper and passed it to him, as Mark expected he blushed furiously "For cryin' out loud! THOR that is PRIVATE!!" he shouted