Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

A Mile a Minute

by Bekah See
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter 4

 

True to her word, Ella returned a couple of hours later, laden with packages. She disappeared a moment later into the kitchen where Sam and Janet could hear her moving around. A few minutes later she emerged bearing two trays, each of which contained a hot bowl of soup, a sandwich and mugs of some kind of strong tea.

Sam suddenly realized how hungry she was and thanked Ella profusely before devouring the sandwich and soup, Janet following her example.

When both women had eaten their fill, Ella cleared up while they dozed off, exhausted by their injuries.

 

Janet awoke hours later and looked over at Sam to find her still fast asleep. She saw Ella sitting near them, rocking in a chair, reading something by the light of a roaring fire in the grate next to her.

“Ella, I need to talk to you.” Janet said softly. The nurse came out of her chair and knelt down next to her. “I need to get that fragment out of Sam’s leg, and it can’t wait for tomorrow.”

Ella sighed. “I had a feeling you were going to say that, so I picked up a few things I thought you would need. Will you be able to anesthetize her?”

Janet shook her head. “She’s lost too much blood. If I had access to IV anesthetic, or to gas, then I could do it, but all the layman’s methods are too risky considering the shock her body’s been through.”

“Do it.” Sam’s voice came from behind Ella, making her jump.

Janet looked at her friend for a moment, admiring her courage then spoke to the nurse again. “I’m going to need hot water, sterile tongs, lots of clean cloths and bandages…”

As the doctor listed off the things she would require, Sam let her mind drift, not wanting to think about what as coming. She thought of Jack instead, smiling a little as she recalled the way his face fell when he heard how long the play would be, remembering how he’d offered her his arm as they walked into dinner, his hand on her back as she sat down at the table… But Jack wasn’t here. He’d been taken by some bastard terrorists and was probably being tortured while she lay here in front of a warm fire. Resolve to get to him and Daniel filled her and she forced herself to pay attention to what was being said. Ella was rising from beside Janet and hurrying off to gather what was needed.

“Are you going to be able to do this? You’re not in any shape to be moving, let alone doing surgery.” Sam asked.

“I’ll manage.” Janet said. “This has to be done tonight, Sam, and I’m sorry, but it’s really going to hurt.”

“I’ll be alright.” Sam put on a brave smile. “I’ve had my entire genetic sequence rearranged and put back, remember? Not to mention the time I was captured and tortured by that minotaur goa’uld, or the time…”

“Sam! I get it!” Janet’s face was white and she looked a little nauseous. “I don’t need a rundown of all the times I’ve had to put you back together.”

“Sorry. My point was that I’ve had my share of pain and know how to handle it. Just do what needs to be done so we can go after the guys.”

“Sam, I really don’t think five days is going to be enough time for our bodies to heal…”

“It will have to be.” Sam interrupted firmly. “Five days and we go.”

 

Ella entered the room again, once again bearing a tray, but his time it was laden with things Sam didn’t really want to look at. She did look, however, as Ella helped Janet sit up. Hear her friend cry out as her ribs and shoulder shot agony through her nerves. Watched her bite her cheek to keep tears of pain at bay.

Janet sat for a moment, waves of agony washing over her, and just concentrated on breathing, waiting for the pain to recede. It did, but not by much, and she finally decided that focusing on her task was the only way she was going to be able to concentrate.

“I need more light.” she said through gritted teeth, and Ella called for Eli to bring in extra lamps.

The young man entered the room a couple of minutes later carrying a floor lamp and a directional desk lamp. Janet instructed him in where they should go, then took his proffered arm to help her stand up. She ended up using more than just his arm to get across the few feet to where Sam lay on her couch, then to sink into the low chair Ella had procured from somewhere. The chair had a padded brace built onto the front of it so Janet could lean forward without injuring her ribs further. It was rather like the old 1980’s computer chairs on earth, Janet thought randomly as she instructed Ella to elevate Sam’s leg to allow her easier access to the wound. Carter hissed as her leg was moved, but she said nothing, simply staring at the ceiling.

Then Janet got her first good look at the wound. It was deep, and sure enough, the strip of metal entered right where Janet knew the big femoral artery to be. Ella had been wise to leave it alone. She would have to be quick and careful when it came time to pull it out. She instructed Ella to hand her the sterilized and sharpened knife and got to work.

Fifteen minutes later, Sam was screaming, sweat pouring off her in sheets as she struggled to hold as still as she could. Finally, Janet was ready to pull the fragment out. She looked up at Sam. “We’ll take a break here. You need to rest for a few minutes.”

Sam shook her head violently. “Just do it.” She ground out. “Get it over with.”

Janet paused for a moment, trying to clear her head Her ribs were forcing her to  breathe shallowly and her mind was a little foggy from the lack of oxygen. She carefully sat up and took a few breaths as deep as she could manage. The fog lifted and she leaned forward again..

“Okay, Ella, give me the cauterizing blade.” she said softly. “I think the fragment is in the bone so you’re going to have to pull it out. I don’t have the strength right now. Ready? One, Two, Three..”

Sam’s wrenching cry  drowned out the sound of metal against bone as the fragment slid free, and Janet immediately cauterized the tear in the artery, sealing it and stopping the flow of bright red blood. Then she used a meat baster to siphon as much liquid as she could from the area and proceeded to sow up the layers of muscle and flesh. Thankfully, Sam has passed out right after Janet had cauterized the artery and so did not feel the sutures going in and could not see the tears of remorse spilling from her doctor’s eyes as she worked.