Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Unending Rewrite

by Twobits
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
The Odyssey is stuck in a time dilatation field with no way out. I have changed the ending of this story so it is going to look very different but the basic story line is close to the same and the time is shortened.

It had been ten years according to the ships calendar. She was looking at the stockings that were hung on the wall that she always put up for her and Jack in their room. They had all agreed that it was good to celebrate the Holladay’s and it gave them something to look forward to. They also agreed to make all the presents for each other by hand instead of replicating them. That way they had to do something with their hands. It also gave them a project they would need to plan out. Sam looked into the mirror which she seldom did these days. She didn’t like the old woman that was looking back at her now. She ran a brush through her long gray hair and got ready for bed.

When this all started and he had given her the command to engage the time dilation field it was terrifying to all of them to see the large plasma ball that was hanging just outside of the window. They were all used to seeing it now but things had changed as soon as it was discovered that there was probably no way out of this. They were stuck, the next day after that monumental discovery she moved into the Captions quarters with Jack. They had spent five wonderful years as man and wife until he was working on an electrical panel that was verified to be locked out of the circuit. The shock was so severe that he had to be put into a stasis chamber. For some reason the med pod schematics were not in the Asgard database now. They had all worked quickly to build the stasis chamber to keep him alive.

From that moment on, she often felt that someone was watching her when she was alone. She knew that the cameras were not being used now and they were not in the rooms that she usually felt like she was being watched in either. She especially felt it when she was playing her Cello. Back when she had first replicated the Cello Jack had thought that it was a great idea. He had replicated a classical guitar and he had learned to play it very well. She had recorded him playing. Now the recording was playing randomly for her and she could swear that it was playing along with her at times. It also helped her to feel closer to Jack and cheered her up when she was feeling sad. It made her smile to think that it was Jack watching her. He had been in the chamber for five years now and she missed him.

They had all exchanged their gifts that evening and there were always gifts for Jack under the tree that they had replicated for this occasion. She was wearing the stockings that she had made for herself and she had made a pair for Vala to keep their feet warm at night. It was something that both Vala and Daniel would appreciate as he was always complaining that her feet felt like ice at night. Sam was looking at the Christmas stocking again now as she cried herself to sleep. Once again she made her Christmas wish which was the only thing that she ever wished for; to have Jack back with her.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Jack had been brought into a world that he had never thought could exist. It was the virtual world of the Asgard and he would need to learn how to make this world work for him or they were all dead. Thor had brought him into this world when it was brought to his attention that the ship was in trouble. He needed someone that understood this ship better than they did. They all knew that this was going to take time but there was no helping that.

Jack watched the others as he solemnly did his duty in order to get them all out of this alive. There were a lot of long conversations about what should and should not be done to take care of this situation. They could only influence the outside world a small amount from inside the computer but they had some of the most brilliant minds in the Asgard scientific and military ranks. With that and the knowledge that Jack O’Neill carried of the Ancients and his abilities as a military leader for the humans they had a pretty good chance.

Jack never knew that the Asgard could have such a wicked sense of humor before then. It was everything that Jack could do to keep them from pulling pranks such as making the cheese taste like liver and the apples taste like onions. They were really bad about turning off the hot water while someone was in the shower or causing the water to come out of the faucet hard which splashed all over the people. All of these things caused the Asgard to go into fits of laughter. Their laughter reminded Jack of sneezing cats but it was funny to watch both his friends and the Asgard.

Jack didn’t know all that much Asgard and he was not at all versed at reading and writing in Asgard either so he was going to need to learn to do that first. A lot of the words that the Asgard used had no other meaning and could not be translated. It was hard enough to do something in a different language but when half of the words were missing it was impossible to get anything done. All of the Asgard were helping him to learn as quickly as possible because the things that he was going to need to do could not be communicated into Asgard either.

Jack was pretty good with a computer although he didn’t want the other people of his former team to know that. Now he was working from the inside of the computer and he needed to do some strange things like programming in Asgard Hexadecimal, then he had to translate it to English and input it into the human computers.

Jack had asked them a hundred times if they could use something simple like visual basic but there were no other choices left to him. By the time he was ready to start putting things into action five years had passed on the outside world. He was about to make things better for everybody though.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Sam heard him whisper to her. She smiled and rolled over to see him standing beside the bed. She moved the covers so that he could lie down but he wasn’t moving. This was a strange dream for her; he was just standing there smiling at her.

“You need to get up Sam.”

She didn’t want to get up, she wanted him to get into the bed and snuggle for a while. He was insisting that she get up now and she was starting to wake up a little more but she was still resisting.

“Just five more minuets honey, I don’t have anything important to do today.”

“Sam, I have a solution for our problem now.”

That woke her up right away. She sat up in the bed and looked strait into the eyes of her husband who couldn’t be there. “Did I die, have you come to take me away?”

“No Sam, you’re not dead and if I have anything to say about it you will live a very long and healthy life.”

She got up and put her robe on against the cold that seemed to penetrate the ship more these days. “How are you doing this?”

“I’m using the ships holographic projectors to show myself to you and I am using the speakers of the ship so that you can hear me.”

“What can I do to get you out of the stasis chamber, and another thing, how are you able to do all this from a stasis chamber anyway?”

“The body is frozen but the mind is very active and has been for the last five years. I’ll tell you all about it once you have me out of the stasis chamber.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“We need to reset the parameters on the transporters so that it will repair damaged parts instead of just moving someone or something from one place to another. It is basically taking a person apart and putting them back together so why not have it put it back together the way it is supposed to be.” The idea had never occurred to her before and she was getting excited about the prospects of this project as well as getting Jack back into the world of the living.

“We have a lot of things to do now and I’m ready to get out of here and back to Earth, so let’s get things moving. Please call the others into the meeting room so I can tell them what I have been planning.”

Sam was really showing her age now at fifty-six but Jack was doing his best to stay positive about all of this. He had been watching her for the entire time he had been in the stasis chamber through the ships sensors. She didn’t know it but the Asgard sensors were growing inside the ship all the time and they were very different from anything that they had ever expected.

Jack told her to hold off on calling the meeting until she had finished with the modification to the transporter first. There were only a few things left to do because he had done most of the programming from inside of the mainframe computer. It was still going to take most of the night to do what he had asked her to do. That didn’t matter to her now at all; she was about to get her husband back again.

She made the changes that he asked her to do then there was a bright light as the transporter did its job. It did the transport and repairs to both of them as it took them to the meeting room. The program was incredibly complex but it was something that he had to do and he did have the help of the Asgard to do it. Sam felt different somehow. She felt stronger and firmer all over like she had lost thirty years. When she looked at Jack she couldn’t believe that he was really standing in front of her and he was young. Once she was able to let go of him and stopped kissing him all over she looked in the mirror to see that she also was only about thirty years old. She turned to Jack for an explanation but at the same time she was very happy.

Jack could see that she needed to be told what had happened. “The transported will now repair damaged cells in the process of moving all of the atoms from one place to another. The hard part was in getting it to only go back so far and not take a person all the way back to infancy. That was something that Thor had to do a lot of work on before we got this finished to where it would be safe to use. It can be changed if we need it to but this is a good setting for most applications. It will also not affect a person’s age if they are lower than the preset age but it will heal any damage that they have to their bodies.”

“What do you mean about Thor helping to do the programming; do you mean the holograph of him?”

“No, I mean Thor helped me. All of the Asgard are stored on this computer. That was why they wanted it to be us that got all of their information. They knew that the computers of the Odyssey were large enough to keep all of them and all of their information once the Asgard computers had augmented it. Their physical bodies were dieing fast but their mental abilities are still strong. We’ll need to find a way to clone bodies for them again. We need something that is more stable than the bodies that they were using. We’ve been working on that for quite a while also.”

Sam was still trying to pinch herself to see if this was all a dream. There was only one way to make sure and that was to call the others into the meeting room. She got on the ships intercom and soon there were four sleepy people slouching and complaining as they came into the room. Jack and Sam had sat at the head of the table and Sam had coffee on the table for the others. She knew that they would all be grumpy having to get up this early. Teal’c was the first to see the difference in the room. Like one person that was not supposed to be there and the difference in them now. Sam caught his eye and gave him a silent message to not let on for the time being. Cameron was the next to see and he was sitting there with his mouth open as he saw. Daniel and Vala noticed him and looked over to see Jack and Sam smiling at them all. Jack spoke up before all the babbling could start.

“People we have a lot of things to do before we can go home, so I need your full attention as I start giving you you’re orders. I do have one thing to do first though, because it’s pretty hard to look at you old Geezer’s.” Jack was still strongly connected to the computer system so he gave the mental command to transport all of the others to the hanger deck then back again. It was now Sam’s turn to sit there open mouthed. All of them were now about thirty years old again.

Daniel was looking at Vala and she was staring into his eyes trying to absorb what had just happened to all of them. The gray was now gone out of their hair and the wrinkles were missing. Jack let them look each other over for a while then he stepped back in to their focus.

“If you look closely now you will see that if you had a scar on your body it is now gone. If you had a filling or cavity that was bothering you before, it’s gone and the tooth is now whole and strong. This thing will now even clean your teeth of plaque when it’s used, not to mention that it will also clean out your arteries as needed.”

“I have a lot of things that I need all of you to do so that we can fix this situation. The Ori will not stop if we get away from them here. They know were Earth is and they well just go there to get the Asgard knowledge base from us. We need to stop them here and let them know that we are not going to take this anymore. I plan on destroying these ships and it will look like it was nothing at all to do it. We will let one of the ships slip away so that it will be able to tell the others what happened.”

“Cameron and Teal’c, I have all of the parts in the hanger bay to build three ships. Get your young strong bodies down there and get to work.” The two men jumped up and ran out of the room racing each other to the hanger bay. Jack had never seen Teal’c so excited before and it made him smile.

“Daniel and Vala, I want you working on the weapons while Sam and I work on the shields. With the design that we now have it will take any kind of energy that comes in contact with the shield and convert it into power for the shields and weapons. That means if we run strait into an asteroid the size of Alaska the ship will break it into a billion pieces and never slow down but it will gain considerable power from the kinetic energy it will gain from the impact. Crashing into something like that would feel like a small bump in the road onboard this ship.’

Sam wanted more information so he continued. “The weapons will have the same kind of shielding built into them. A missal with an atomic warhead containing this kind of shield would go right through a normal shield and only gain power for doing it. The power that it gained from doing something like that would make the warhead one hundred to one thousand times stronger than it would have been without the shield.”

Daniel had a question that Jack knew was coming before he even asked it. “Yes Daniel, if one of these warheads hit our ship with its shields intact it would mean that the stronger shield would gain all the power. With both devices feeding off of each other it’s hard to fathom the amount of power that would be created. We need to get moving though; we have about six weeks of work to do before we can finish this and go home.”

Jack gave the plans to Daniel and Vala as they were heading off to get to work. Jack was sure that they probably wouldn’t be working too long before they went back to their room for a while. He knew that he had some plans that led in that general direction. He smiled at Sam and he could tell that she had the same idea but they had work to do before it was playtime.

While they were working on the shields Jack was telling her that they had perfected the use of dimensional phasing which could be used on nearly any ship taking it out of this dimension. It was something a little different from the device she had tried to use against the Ori when she tried to hide an entire village. That had nearly gotten her killed but the technology was sound. If the shields hadn’t of worked as well as they had, that would have been how they would have gotten the weapon onboard the Ori ships.

Teal’c and Cameron realized that Jack didn’t want them to build a ship; he wanted them to make the modifications to the F302’s that were already there. There were missal launchers and some new weapons that they had no idea what they were or how they were used. They had the instructions though and worked on what they knew first then they would figure out the rest. They could always ask for help if they couldn’t figure it out for themselves.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Thor was watching what was going on outside in the ship. He was making comments to Jack as he was working on different things and giving him advice when he though he needed it. Sam watched as Jack started to get upset and she was having a problem figuring out what was causing his distress. Jack suddenly stood strait up and started ripping into someone that wasn’t there.

“Damn it Thor, you don’t need to back seat drive on everything I do. I can handle this very well on my own thank you!”

Jack was standing over a vent in the floor and he was surprised as a cold blast of air shot up his pants leg. He could hear the Asgard as they were about to die laughing. He knew that he had been setup for that and he had to laugh along with them, they had gotten him good this time.

Sam was now smiling knowing that he had gotten upset with Thor, not her. She had no idea how he was communicating with the little alien but he was. From what he had said earlier he could talk to them any time he wanted to now. He also could control the computers and machines onboard the ship with only a mental command. He had told her that when he was first put into the stasis chamber if was very hard to do anything but it got easer as he went along. The Asgard had caused the electrical short so that they would be forced to put him in the stasis chamber. They were also the ones that had removed the plans for the med pod. The Asgard knew what was going on. They had also been the ones that disrupted her plans to reverse time. Jack told her that she had come across the answer several times but it was the wrong way to go about fixing this problem.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

They were all busy for the next six weeks as it was predicted getting things made and making the changes that were needed. The power that was needed to replicate all the necessary parts was tremendous and it took a while to figure out what they were going to do. Cameron came up with the solution as he was sitting in the dinning room one day. He had been looking out the window when he jumped up.

“I’ve got it; we can use the power of the plasma that’s right outside of our window. All we need to do is finish the shield first then expanded it to the plasma and we will have power to spare.”

Jack was kicking himself for not thinking of it first because it was so simple. The shield was almost finished already and it would only take a couple more days’ to complete. The weapons were now complete and those that were to be mounted on the Odyssey had to be done by EVA. Cameron and Teal’c insisted on doing the outside work and suited up. They both said that is was too important that they keep both Jack and Sam out of as much danger as possible for as long as possible.

Daniel and Vala were still doing work on the weapons for the F302’s and Jack along with the Asgard kept making changes to the weapons with improvement and they even added a forth weapon that was very different from the others. The weapons included the missal launchers with the shielded nuclear warheads and they had constructed a plasma weapon that would fire a plasma burst that was as big as the ones on the Alkesh bombers but the weapon was tiny compared to the weapons used on the bombers. Teal’c wanted one that he could carry around with him but he was told that it was too dangerous to stand that close when it was fired. It would work fine as long as it was on the outside of the ship. If a person was to be standing next to it when it was fired it would cause burns because of the tremendous amount of heat that was generated by the plasma as it left the weapon. That is also why the tip of the weapon was just outside of the shield.

The third weapon was a rail gun and Daniel was not so impressed by that. It would send a one pound metal weight out at a target. The weapon was short and he didn’t think that it could do any damage. He had seen rail guns fired before. Vala tried to explain that this rail gun was much different than the ones he had seen before. It would send the projectile out of the short barrel at nearly the speed of light. A normal rail gun could only get up to a couple of times the speed of sound which was impressive for those weapons.

Daniel still looked a little blank, this was not really in his field of study. He was an Archeologist not an Astrophysics Genius like Sam. Vala told him that the impact of the one pound weight would have enough kinetic energy to vaporize a ship even as big as the Ori ships. She gave an example of an micrometer the size of a grain of sand traveling at several hundred feet per second would have enough power to completely destroy a large satellite. Sam stepped in next telling Daniel that it was Einstein’s theory of E=MC squared. Then she went on to explain that to mean the energy of a moving object can produce is the mass times the speed it is traveling at squared. She did a quick calculation of the amount of energy that the one pound weight would produce at close to the speed of light and showed it to him. He understood that and went bug eyed at seeing what it could do.

Jack was having a hard time not laughing out loud at Daniel and it didn’t help to be able to hear the Asgard laughing so hard that if they had bodies they would be passing out.

The F302’s and the Odyssey had one more weapon that had changed all of their plans completely. This weapon was a slow moving disk that would be launched at the target. Once it was targeted, the disk would make its way over to the ship and attach itself to the hull. Sam was even having a hard time figuring out what it was until Jack explained that it was an energy magnet. It would draw off all the energy that the ship was producing making it unable to do anything. The power was to be transmitted back to the Odyssey again making the ship much stronger that it ever was before. The second thing about this weapon was that it would not kill the people onboard the ship. They would also have most of their energy drained from their bodies but it would not kill them. They just wouldn’t have enough energy to pick themselves up off the floor.

Jack was about to send everybody to the fighters so they would be off the ship when the last of the energy blast hit the ship. They had depleted the energy considerably from the plasma blast but it was still something that had both Jack and Sam worried. The shield would absorb the energy the rest of the way once it fully hit but it would still be very close to the hull. The Asgard were not worried at all by this though but Jack still wanted everybody off the ship but himself. Sam was insisting that she would stay with him and he was having a hard time convincing her that she needed to go. It would be much safer out in the F302’s. He finally convinced her by telling her that she had all the plans to build the weapons and shields with her and it was vitally important that she get those plans back to Earth if something happened to the Odyssey. With the shields and weapons plans they could defeat the Ori and the Goa’uld with little effort now. She didn’t like it much but she had to agree that it was true.

Teal’c on the other hand had used Jack’s argument to his advantage telling Jack that he needed to get into a different fighter and leave the ship. Teal’c was telling him that he would stay with the Odyssey and do what was needed to be done from there. Jack was hard pressed to convince Teal’c that he was the only one that could run the ship by himself and he had no other choice than to stay where he was. Teal’c insisted that he stay behind with him then to be able to watch his back. Jack knew from the stubborn look in the eye of big Jaffa that he was not going to win this argument. Teal’c was as stubborn as he was so he was forced to let this one go.

He still needed all three fighters out of the ship so Cameron took one and Sam took the other while Daniel and Vala took the third ship. Vala was at the controls of that ship with Daniel in the back seat. Daniel didn’t like this arrangement much but he had to concede that Vala was a much better pilot than he was as far as space flight went.

Jack watched as the three ships launched through the shield and the time dilation field with dread and concern for the people that he cared so much about along with his wife.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The two priors were in contact with each other and they had called the other ships to let them know that they were about to finish off two of the biggest threats to their efforts to take this Galaxy, SG1 and the Asgard Database they were carrying onboard this ship. That was the main reason that they had been deployed so heavily for this mission against one ship. They had been able to infect the Asgard people with a virus that had eliminated them as a possible threat to them but they had managed to give all of their information to the Earth people. That was all about to end now as they fired the shot that would finish the ship once and for all.

One of the gunners was saying that just before the blast hit the ship there were three small ships that seemed to appear out of nowhere. He was telling the Prior that there were no Hyperspace window opened in the area but they were still there. The next thing that was told to the Prior after the energy flair died down from the blast hitting the Earth ship was that it was still there and unharmed. Both Priors order the main weapons to continue to fire on the larger of the Earth ships and the secondary weapons were to concentrate on taking out the smaller ships.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Jack had watched as the others had left the ship but he did not start the process of shutting down the time dilation field for another couple of weeks. Once the others were outside of the field and back into normal time he had all the time that he needed to finish with the projects that had now become necessary. He and Sam had built a second transporter unit a couple of weeks ago when the design for the energy vacuums were finished. He had several other machines to build now and this would give him time to do that without all the questions. This was not something that he fully condoned but it was better than any of the other alternatives. When that was finished he was finally ready. Jack gave the mental command to the ship to close down the time dilation field which allowed the plasma blast to fully hit the shield. There was a brilliant flash of light as the plasma was converted and fully absorbed by the shield. He watched out the window as the fighters went into attack mode.

Sam had Vala take the closest ship to the Odyssey and Cameron was to take the next one while she was going after the third ship that had just finished coming out of the Hyperspace window. The ship was coming hard at her and firing everything that they had at her. Now that she had the shields that would not be beaten down by the constant fire from the ship she was making a game out of avoiding the enemy fire. That was when two more Hyperspace windows opened up bring in two more Ori ships. Sam had been whooping and yelling as she made her way through the enemy fire and Cameron wanted in on the game now. He was coming up fast on her six matching her every move.

Jack called them to let them know that he wanted those ships closer before they deployed the energy vacuum. That was not a problem now. They simply opened fire with the normal weapons that were onboard the F302’s which caused the shields of the Ori ships to flash and flare but did no damage to the ship. They both turned and were doing evasive maneuvers back toward the Odyssey. Vala had joined them and was having the time of her life but Daniel was looking more than a little green. Vala saw what was happening to him and changed the mix in his mask which relaxed him enough that he finally passed out with a smile on his face. She was thankful that they had added this feature and it was harmless to him.

Sam gave the command to break and engage the enemy when they were in the designated area. It only took a few moments to disable the ships where they could go back to the Odyssey. Sam took the time to inspect the hull of the Odyssey before she went back inside. It was completely unmarked by the last series of blast but there was still quite a bit of damage that would require a lot of work once they got back to Earth. It had lasted for the last ten years like this and it should last for the trip back to Earth.

Sam landed her ship and went strait to see Jack so that she could find out what was going on. He had told them that he did not want the ships destroyed and that he had plans for them but that was all that he would say. Sam came in as he was finishing replicating some strange looking computer chips that were stored in sterile containers. There was a man in a chair connected to a machine that she had not seen before. There was a device that was sitting on his head and it was just finishing with him as she walked in. He got out of the chair and was a little unsteady but Teal’c helped him. Sam recognized him as one of the Priors but he looked like a normal human now. The transporter had repaired him as it brought him over to this ship. The man was blinking at her strangely and moving in jerky spastic movements like he was not used to using his muscles. It didn’t take a Genius to figure out what they were doing. They had repaired the bodies of the Ori and wiped their minds when they were brought over to this ship. Sam also knew that the normal human only used about ten percent of their mental abilities. Jack come over and introduced the man to her.

“Sam, I’d like you to meet an old friend of mine, this is Thor.” The man greeted her as he was beginning to learn how to use his new body. Jack went on to explain that there was plenty of room in the human brain for the Asgard consciousness with the buffer chip that they were using. It would allow them to store information and retrieve it at will. Jack went on to explain that the human brain had a lot of normally undeveloped potential abilities that the Asgard were use to using and could activate in these bodies. He also told her that with the transporters now working like this they would be able to make gradual changes to their DNA to become more like the original Asgard before they started cloning.

Sam noticed that the next person in the chair was a woman. She did a quick scan of the ships and found that a large portion of the population was female. This was a really good thing now that the Asgard were able to reproduce naturally. She was also wondering how this would affect their way of thinking. They had all those hormones running through their systems now that they didn’t have to deal with before.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Once they had finished with one of the Ori ships they disabled the energy vacuum to allow the Asgard to beam back over to that ship using the normal transporter to start the conversion of that ship. They were soon able to help with the next ship then another until all of the ships were in Asgard control and none of the Ori were left.

Sam had time to think about what she would have done with the people and she knew that they could not be trusted. They would have to either kill them or put them on a planet that was primitive and had no way off of it. Even that wouldn’t guarantee that they wouldn’t be picked up by an Ori ship and put back into service against the people of this Galaxy. This was the best solution for two problems at the same time. The Asgard were ready to go on the hunt for more Ori now. They had only made a slight dent in the population that was stored in the computer systems. They would hunt down all the Ori ships that they could find in this Galaxy and clean all the planets of Priors then they were going through the Supergate to find more Ori.

Jack explained to the others that the Asgard would only be looking for the most dangerous of the Ori which were the soldiers and those planets that were building ships. Once they had enough people to get all of them out of the holding buffers of the computers then they would come back through the Supergate and disable it so that it could not be used by anybody from the other side. The Asgard had made a full copy of their entire database for the humans to use before they left.

Jack gave the ship a mental command and set a course for Earth. Sam gave him a kiss before she ran off to the command chair. She really didn’t like the ship flying itself although she knew that Jack was in actual control of the ship. She was happy now, she had gotten her Christmas wish after all and nothing in the world could have made her happier.

End.

This story is part of the December 2007 Fic Challenge Contest at Helio.
Please make sure that you are logged in and go

Vote

until 31 December 2007!