Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Still Waters

by Denise
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
Teal'c realizes that he's not as free as he thought
Summary: Teal'c realizes that he's not as free as he thought
Category: POV
Episode Related: 101 Children of the Gods, 606 Abyss, 804 Lockdown
Season: Season 8
Pairing: none
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-08-02



Still Waters Eleven: Power By Denise

Lord, it's been a year since I added to this??? Boy, have I been a slacker. Anyway, for anyone who's interested, Still Waters is my loose series of stories written in Teal'c's point of view. For other chapters, please check out http://www.geocities.com/sky_diver119/seriesmain.htm Thanks to Sio for the beta

She sits at the computer, her back tired but straight. I watch as she works to correct the damage done by Anubis, alert to her surroundings, and I wonder if she is aware of just how much power she possesses.

I do not speak of her authority at this facility. As with her first promotion, I have witnessed no exhibition of her new rank beyond altering the insignia upon her uniform and the placard bearing her name on the door.

The power of which I speak is one less realized and recognized, but one that is present nonetheless. It is not a power she uses frequently and I never conceived that I would count myself among her victims. I thought I would be stronger, better than the others. I thought my warrior's heart was immune to such entreaties.

I was wrong.

Many that look upon her do not perceive her true standing. They think of her as subordinate, submissive and weak. That is where the beginning of her power lies, the simple fact that her pleasant visage often tricks others into underestimating her and she is forgotten about, dismissed as just a simple, if attractive, female.

I know because I made that error.

When I first looked upon her, I saw little more than a pleasing combination of pale skin and hair and light colored eyes. It was only after many months of working and fighting by her side did I start to realize that my friend is like the great ocean, its true strength and worth hidden far beneath a pleasant looking surface. The same surface that hides a relentless power and immutable force.

I should resent her control, hate the fact that someone, some female, possesses such power over me. I should fight and free myself from her thrall, but I cannot.

One reason I do not fight is that I do not believe that she is aware of her power. Not really. In her heart, perhaps she knows, however in her mind, she underestimates her own worth. I do not think she is aware of how much it pained me to believe that she was dead, how relieved I was to discover her alive, abandoned by Fifth, physically unharmed.

Perhaps that is why I trusted her so blindly. Perhaps I let my emotions cloud my judgment, permitting me to disobey my orders and allow her access to the computers.

I feel the need to inform O'Neill of my weakness, however I am aware that such an act will accomplish little. He too shares my fate. He too has consented to acts and altered his feelings because of her. He too has fallen under her spell, fell victim to her power.

I am aware how much that decision cost him, how much pain it brought upon him. It is not a pain he has ever spoken of, yet it is a pain I can see in his eyes, sense upon his soul. He sacrificed himself to her and he paid the price.

Yet he does not resent that price. He bears her no ill will nor malice. He has made peace with his decision, as I must make peace with mine. I am fortunate; my choice bore no onerous fruit...this time.

I wish I could hate her for her power, I wish I could see evil in her actions, hear deceit in her voice. To do so would make it much easier to free myself from her hold.

However, all I feel is the comforting warmth of friendship, the steadying strength of trust, the edification of mutual respect.

I have a fondness for my human friend that, some may say, weakens my warrior's heart. In all my years of life, I have witnessed many who lead. I have catered to the whims of a false god, pledged my loyalty to the blasphemous belief of another, risked my entire existence upon the barely understood words of an alien leader.

Yet at no time in my life, have I ever been as bound as I am to her.

She holds a captivating power, one that was not won by tricks or sorcery. One that was not purchased with the blood and toil of others, but a power that is stronger than any I have ever experienced. A power that is contained in a single word.

Please.

~Fin~