Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

You Can’t Keep An Old Dog Down

by Lady FoxFire, Corwalch
[Reviews - 5]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
The writing styles of Corwalch and Lady FoxFire don't mesh very well therefore we decided that one of us would write one chapter and the other would write the next chapter. So here's Lady Foxfire's chapter…

 

"Mr. Maybourne," Vernon Dursley began, smiling the seedy smile of a used car salesman, as he held out a beefy hand to the dapper silver-haired gentleman. " It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Mr. Dursley," Maybourne said, just as smoothly, as he shook the portly man's hand.

"Would you care for any tea or coffee," Dursley asked, as he directed Maybourne towards the chair in front of his antique oak desk.

"No, thank you," Maybourne replied politely. "I prefer to get right down to business."

"Ah of course," Vernon replied with a smile. "So how can Grunnings be of service to you?"

Maybourne leaned back in his chair, his legs crossed as he eyes Dursley with a cold calculating look. "Actually my business isn't with Grunnings, it's with you, Vernon. I can call you Vernon, can't I?"

"Of course," Dursley replied nervously.

"You see Vernon, some very interesting information has reached the ears of certain individuals across the pond as you Brits say," Maybourne said.

"Information," Vernon nervously played with a pen. "What kind of information?

"Before we discuss that, we need to discuss the funds missing from the account set up to provide for your nephew's well-being. You know the one that you and your wife have access to," Maybourne replied.

"Excuse me," Vernon drew himself up, "Those funds were spent on the boy just as they should have been!"

"Oh really. You and your family took a vacation in Majorca and your nephew didn’t accompany you there. You’ve managed to purchase a new car about every 18 months. Then there’s your many business trips to Dublin and the Merrion Casino," Maybourne stated. "And let’s not even go into the expensive presents and clothes you’ve bought for your son while providing young Mr. Potter with your son’s cast-offs. I’m sure that those responsible for his trust would consider that money properly spent."

"We're entitled to it!" Vernon snapped. "We didn’t want anything to do with his family, but we took the brat in anyway and gave him a home. Why shouldn't we be entitled to some compensation for that."

"Because I believe most people call it embezzlement," Maybourne countered. "And you can go to jail for it."

Vernon leaned back into his chair, a smirk on his face. "Of course you do realize that the laws here are different than those in America."

"Of course," Maybourne said with a smile of his own.

"Besides I plan on returning the funds," Vernon stated.

"Of course you will," Maybourne’s smile grew slightly. "Just as soon as your luck changes, you'll pay all the money back that you took from the account meant to provide for Potter’s needs. Maybe you should ask your son Dudley for a loan. I mean when you consider how successful his business has been, he should be able to lend you the money."

"Dudley?"

Maybourne nodded his head. "From what I’ve managed to find out, the British Mafia is fairly impressed with him. I understand he's starting to branch out into prostitution and illegal drugs."

"You’re a ruddy liar!" Vernon spat. "My son... my son would never be involved in anything illegal!"

"Of course, Vernon. You're probably right. I mean Dudley Dursley has to be a very common name," Maybourne’s grin was similar to that of a shark. "I'm sure that when Dudley Dursley is arrested for whatever they call racketeering over here, the press won't link you or your family to him. Nor will they find about you taking money that you weren’t entitled to, from the trust fund intended to pay for your poor nephew's needs. And I'm sure Grunnings will also be very understanding. After all a little bad press about their Managing Director being caught borrowing funds from his underage ward, and his only son’s involvement in organized crime should be nothing for a company like Grunnings. And then, there is the abuse you have heaped on Mr. Potter. Treating him as one would a slave."

Vernon licked his lips nervously. This man knew way too much for Vernon’s comfort "So how much do you want?"

"I knew you were a smart man, Vernon," Maybourne replied, "but I’m not here for money. I represent a group that is very interested in acquiring in something that you will have in your custody in a few days time."

"The boy," Vernon whispered, his eyes growing wide. "You want the boy."

"See I knew you were a smart man," Maybourne crowed with pride.

"You know about the boy. What he is?" Vernon looked around his office as if expecting someone to suddenly appear and go boo. Sweat appearing on his pudgy face. "You know that they watch him," he whispered.

Maybourne leaned forward in his chair. "We know exactly what Potter is, Vernon. That’s why we want him. And we both know exactly how well they watch him and your family, don't we Vernon."

Vernon licked his lips nervously. "They'll find him and bring him back. They've done it before." Seeing Maybourne’s questioning look, Vernon explained. "We couldn't take it any longer. We left him at a church in Shrewsbury but they brought him back, forced us to take him back. We never wanted to be involved with any of that, but that old coot that seems to run things amongst his kind didn’t give us a choice."

Maybourne nodded his head. "You give Potter to us and I'll guarantee that you will never see him again."

"What about his money?" Vernon wanted to know.

Maybourne leaned back in his chair. "That's not our concern. All we care about is getting the boy."

"Never to return?" Vernon asked.

"Not if I have anything to say about it," Maybourne said with a wicked smile.

Vernon looked down at the pen he was playing with, lost in thought.

"So have we got a deal Vernon?" Maybourne asked as Vernon continued to remain silent.

Vernon looked up at Maybourne as he thumb pressed the button at then end of the pen. "Where do I sign?"

 

~*~

 

With his head resting against the window, Harry watched the countryside speed past as the Hogwarts Express made its way back to London.

"Harry," Ginny nudged him with her shoulder.

"Hmmm," Harry mumbled looking away from the countryside and at the concerned faces of his friends.

"Do you want to play Exploding Snap with us?" Ginny asked, picking at the seam of her shirt.

Harry smiled softly at her. "No. Not right now," he replied before turning his attention once again to the world outside the train.

"Harry," Hermione said in a commanding tone.

Harry turned once again from the window and looked at Hermione in confusion.

"You know…" Hermione hesitantly began, "You know we all miss him," she finished hastily.

Harry nodded his head. "I know, but you didn't get him killed," Harry replied. "Or lead you…. all of you injured." Harry's eyes roamed over those in the compartment.

"You can't blame yourself, Harry," Luna said with a dreamy expression. "We decided to follow you. Even if you tried you could not have left us behind. And your godfather… perhaps he was needed someplace else?"

Harry smiled at Luna kindly as he accepted her oddities and her kind words. "But I need him here."

Luna nodded her head. "Perhaps he'll come back for you then."

"I can only hope," Harry turned his attention back to the countryside as he brushed the back of his hand against his eyes.

"Harry," Ron said, trying to draw his friend back to them.

Standing up suddenly, Harry told his friends. "I… I need to go to the loo."

"Of course, Harry," Hermione said as the group rearranged themselves to let him pass.

Closing the compartment door behind him, Harry let out a sigh as he ran a shaking hand through his hair. Taking a breath Harry walked down the narrow hall towards the loo at the far end of the passenger car.

Entering the magically enlarged compartment, Harry quickly glanced at the two empty stalls before closing the door behind him wanting to make sure he was alone. "Why can't they let me be?" Harry asked himself. Shaking his head in disgust, Harry walked up to a stall and shut the door. The sound of someone taking a piss along with a relieved sigh filled the small room.

A few minutes later a slightly more relaxed Harry opened the stall door. Walking up to the sink, Harry stared at himself in the mirror above it. "Why did you have to die, Sirius," Harry asked as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

A soft whine was heard a heartbeat before Harry's eyes rolled up into his head and he collapsed on the floor.

Dropping from the ceiling, a figure dressed in black robes and wearing a white mask landed next to Harry, a snake-like weapon in his hand instead of a wand. Quickly the man checked the boy over before pocketing Harry's wand.

Hoisting Harry up with a grunt and throwing him over his shoulder, the man opened the door a crack and looked out into the passageway. Seeing no one he stepped out of the loo and moved quickly to the door leading to the next passenger car. The man and unconscious boy exited through the door, but never arrived in the next car.

 

~*~

 

Draco stood silently in the doorway of his compartment, watching wide-eyed as the Death Eater kidnapped Potter.

"Draco," Pansy's voice called out from inside the compartment. "Is there something wrong?"

"No. No everything is perfect," Draco replied as an evil grin appeared on his face.

 

~*~

 

"He's not on the train," Tonks reported to Moody as they were surrounded by Harry's friends and their parents.

"Any sign of magic being used?" Moody demanded.

Tonks shook her head. "Nothing that you wouldn’t expect to find. Childish hexes and pranks."

"What about his family?" Moody growled as he turned his attention to Shacklebolt.

"His uncle is still waiting for him," Shacklebolt replied, how brow furrowed in thought. "He was demanding that we give him Harry immediately."

Moody narrowed his eyes as he stared at Shacklebolt. "Was there something else?"

A distant look came to Shacklebolt's eyes as he reviewed his meeting with Mr. Dursley. "He seemed nervous."

"They hate Harry," Ron chimed in. "They hate everyone and anything to do with magic, so they're probably not real happy waiting on Harry, and with all of us magical folks wandering around them."

Shacklebolt shrugged his shoulder. "It's a possibility."

"But you don't think so," Moody stated to which Shacklebolt nodded his head. "Find out what the family’s so nervous about."

With a quiet nod of his head Shacklebolt left the small group.

Turning to the students, Moody growled, "Tell me what happened again."

Hermione started the story once again. "Harry was depressed about Sirius' death."

"He was staring out the window the whole time," Ron chimed in.

Hermione shot a nasty glare at Ron for interrupting her. "A couple hours into the trip Harry left to use the loo and never returned. Of course we searched the train and Harry's usual hiding spots but like Shacklebolt and Tonks said, there was no sign of him."

Moody nodded his head. "And you're sure he was on the train?"

"Of course we are," Hermione exclaimed in outrage. "Do you think we don't know our own friend."

"Harry's scent was in the compartment the kids shared," Lupin supplied. "I don't believe anyone was impersonating him. He smelled sad, depressed."

"So Potter got on the train, went to the loo and vanished," Moody said as he summoned up the facts as simply as possible. "So the question is, did he leave willingly or not. And with whom?"

~*~

It was closed to 3 in the morning when bangs and curses from the Malfoy library woke Draco from a sound sleep.

With wide eyes Draco hid in the shadows of the landing as he watch the library door, listening to the sounds coming from inside the room. His wand firmly grasped in his hand, Draco darted through the lighted section of the landing to the room on the other side.

Opening the door slowly, to avoid making any noise, Draco slipped in and went to the large clear crystal that the Malfoy heir had been taught to use to spy upon those in the manor.

Placing his hand on the crystal Draco mentally directed the device to look into the library. The magic that was embedded in the crystal quickly showed the interior of the room, which contained only three people: Draco's mother Narcissa Malfoy, his aunt Bellatrix, and Severus Snape.

Bellatrix’s voice came from the crystal. "Have you found it yet?" she demanded as she leaned back in her chair her feet on the desk. "The Dark Lord wants that spell before dawn or he will be very displeased."

"Well it would go faster if you help," Snape snarled as he grabbed a leather bound book and quickly looked through the contents.

"Books are not exactly my thing," Bellatrix commented as she waved her hand to dismiss Snape's suggestion.

"Yes," Narcissa said bitterly. "We all know how well you and books get along."

Bellatrix just smiled smugly at her sister as she picked at her nails with a knife. "Well we all can't be perfect like you dear sister." Allowing her feet to fall off the desk and hit the floor with a thump, Bellatrix stood up. "What about Draco? Could he find this book we're looking for. After all while Lucy is in Azkaban, he is the head of the household."

Draco's eyes widen at what Bellatrix had just said. "Head of the household," he whispered in confusion.

"Shut your mouth," Narcissa snarled as she swung around to face her sister, her face filled with rage. "That is not to be spoken of."

Snape raised an eyebrow at Narcissa's comment, but wisely remained silent.

"Oh so the little dragon doesn’t know, does he, my sister. How very Slytherin of you, keeping your son ignorant of his duties, of the fact he controls the Malfoy's fortunes while you keep control of everything," Bellatrix cooed. "Are you already making plans on what gifts to give to your court of lovers since he won't know he can stop you? Does he even know his dear mother has lovers?"

Draco's eyes narrowed at his aunt's words.

"No, and he’d better not find out about any of this dear sister, if you know what is best for you," Narcissa said evilly.

Bellatrix gasped in mock terror as she placed both hands over her chest. "Are you threatening me, dear sweet little sister."

Raising her nose slightly in the air Narcissa turned her back on her sister and resumed the search while Bella cackled wildly.

As mischievous glint appeared in his eyes, Draco deactivated the crystal before proceeding towards the library.

As he arrived at the door, Draco let his eyes droop so they had the 'just woke up' look to them. "Mother?" Draco said around a yawn as he opened the door.

"Draco," Narcissa said as she whirled around, hiding the book she was looking through behind her, as if to try to hide her guilt. "What are you doing up?"

"I heard voices," Draco explained simply as he rubbed his eyes with his left hand, "so I came to see who was here.

The sound of a book being slammed shut drew everyone's attention to where Snape stood. "That was very unwise of you Draco," he said. "You entered a room half asleep with no knowledge of who was in here and without your wand. What would you have done if you had found someone here who was trying to kidnap you and your mother, so they could use you against your father? Or, what if it had been Aurors here to raid the manor for twisted reason? With the announcement of the return of our Lord, you may be assured that they are wand happy right now and your sudden appearance would be a perfect reason to remove you as the Malfoy heir."

Draco tried to take on a properly chastened air as he looked down at the floor. "I didn't think of that. I was hoping there might be some word of father."

"Do not worry about your father," Snape said as he placed the book he was holding back on the shelf, "I'm sure the Dark Lord has plans to rescue those loyal to him from the accursed island."

Draco looked up at his godfather with a smile. "I hope it’s soon. I do miss him."

Sighing wearily, Narcissa opened the book she had and began to flip through the pages. "Go to bed Draco. You have lessons in the morning."

Ignoring his mother comments, Draco sat down in his father's favorite chair. "What are you looking for?" he asked after watching his mother and Professor Snape search through books while keeping an eye on his Aunt Bellatrix, who was amusing herself, by balancing a knife, point down, in the palm of her hand.

"The Dark Lord asked your father for a book but he never had a chance to deliver it," Snape stated as he picked up another book.

"What was the book?" Draco asked innocently, "Perhaps I can help you find it."

With a sigh Snape looked at Draco. "It was a books of spells and charms to find one's hidden enemies. Unfortunately, neither the Dark Lord, nor anyone else knows the title of the book since this was a recent acquisition of your father’s."

Draco nodded his head silently in thought before rising from his seat and walking over to a black box that rested on a stand near the fireplace.

Removing the lid of the box, Draco placed it down on the table before removing the sides and placing them next to the lid. In the place where the box had been, was a human skull, covered with ancient runes in black ink. 

Picking up a silver knife that lay to the skull, he pricked his finger, then smeared the welling blood onto the forehead of the skull.

"You are not the head of the Malfoy line," replied a disembodied voice.

"My father has been imprisoned and until he is freed I must honor the Malfoy line and lead in his absence," Draco replied as his eyes rested on the skull.

Narcissa hissed softly as her hands clinched into fists at Draco's words, while Bellatrix glanced at her sister smugly.

"Yes. Yes I see," the voice said. "So how may I be of service young Lord."

Draco seemed to stand taller at the use of the title. "I am searching for a book my father recently acquired, which contains spells for locating one's hidden enemies."

"Do you wish for a book on finding your enemies who appear to be your friends and allies, or a book on finding the location of a hidden enemy and their loved ones?" the voice asked.

Draco turns to Snape, an eyebrow raised questioningly.

"Location of enemies," Snape replies. "The Dark Lord wished to discover where Potter is hiding for the summer."

Draco's eyes widened slightly. "You mean he escaped!"

All eyes immediately snapped to Draco.

"What do you mean, escaped?" Bellatrix asked as she caught the knife in her hand after flipping it into the air.

"That Potter has escaped from the Dark Lord," Draco replied, confusion evident in his voice.

"And what gave you the idea that the Dark Lord had Potter," Snape asked as he walked over to Draco.

Draco looked back and forth between the adults in the room. "I saw Potter being taken from the train by a Death Eater."

The eyes of the three adults, loyal to the Dark Lord, met over Draco's head, reflecting their shock and confusion.