Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Chemical Awareness

by Amaranth Traces
[Reviews - 4]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

-- Chapter 2 --

Dr. Frasier reappeared with a needle in her hand. “Hold him still,” she muttered to Teal’c as she plunged the needle into Colonel O’Neill’s shoulder.

Within a few seconds, the Colonel was slumped in Teal’c’s arms. Teal’c picked up his friend and looked at Janet.

“You’ll have to take him to one of the isolation rooms.”

Teal’c nodded gravely and carried Colonel O’Neill from the main infirmary.

Daniel was at Sam’s side and he held her tenderly, one hand cupping her cheek. “Are you alright? Did he hurt you?”

“I’m okay, Daniel. Let’s let Janet take a look at you.”

“Why? I’m fine.”

“Let’s just make sure, okay?”

“I have a better idea.” Daniel lowered his head and whispered in her ear. “Why don’t you and I go back to my place?”

Sam’s eyes widened; this was so not like Daniel.

Janet spoke up. “Sam, I already checked the team over when you returned from your mission. I’m still waiting on some of your blood work. Maybe that will tell us why they’re acting so strangely.”

“I’m not acting strangely,” Daniel said defiantly. “I feel great! Better than I’ve felt in a really long time.” He draped his arm casually across Sam’s shoulders and kissed her temple.

Sam looked at him warily and tried to step away from him, but he held her firmly by the shoulder.

“Daniel, please let me go.”

With another kiss to her temple, he released his grip. “Anything you say, my love.” He was still standing very close to her.

Sam gave Janet a tortured look. “Umm...Daniel, why don’t you come with me,” said Sam with a nervous laugh. Turning to Janet again, she muttered, “Is the second isolation room empty?”

Janet nodded and Daniel wrapped his arms around Sam’s waist again. “Ooh, you read my mind, gorgeous.”

With a frustrated groan, Sam led the very frisky Daniel into the second isolation room. As soon as they were inside, he pulled her over towards the bed, dropping kisses all over her face.

“Daniel. Daniel, stop.” She captured his very busy and adventurous hands and held him at arm’s length.

Daniel did stop, but he pouted.

Sam thought her heart might melt. “Please sit down.”

A sly grin grew on his face, and he sat on the bed, his hands still in hers. He pulled her closer to him.

“No, Daniel,” she said firmly. His grin turned into a frown. “Just stay right there, and I’ll be right back.”

“Where are you going?”

“I just want to talk to Janet for a minute. I won’t be long, okay?” Daniel seemed to be calmer than the Colonel, but she wasn’t completely sure that he’d stay that way. And she had no idea what was wrong with either of them. Sam stepped backwards to the door, and placed her hand on the handle.

“You’re going to go see him, aren’t you?” His voice was icy.

“Daniel, I’m worried about both of you, but right now I’m going to go talk to Janet.”

He narrowed his eyes. Before she knew what was happening, Daniel had pressed her against the wall and had his lips against hers.

She put her hand on his chest and pushed him back. He didn’t seem to be discouraged at all and lowered his mouth to her neck, alternately kissing, licking and nibbling his way across her sensitive skin.

Despite herself, she moaned. His hands roamed her body freely.

“No. Daniel.” She pushed against his chest again, more firmly this time. She could have him unconscious in five seconds flat, but she didn’t want to hurt him.

“I love you so much, Sam. I need you.” He breathed into her neck.

“Look, Daniel, you’re not yourself. Please stop.”

He lifted his head and looked at her. “I am myself, Sam.”

“I know you think that, but you’re not.”

“I am. I know I’ve never been confident enough to express my feelings for you before, but I swear, this is me.”

She studied him carefully, suddenly unsure of everything. “We can talk about this when I get back, alright?”

He lowered his lips to her neck again. “I’m so tired of talking, Sam,” he murmured.

“Daniel, stop.” Sam absolutely refused to let herself get swept away.

He whimpered but pulled away from her. “Please, Sam.” His eyes implored her.

“Stay here. I have to go talk to Janet. I’ll be back.”

“Promise?”

“I promise, but you have to stay here, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Okay,” she repeated, looking at him warily again. She grabbed the door handle again and opened it, stepping backwards out of the room. She pulled the door closed behind her and hesitated for only a moment before using her security card to lock the door from the outside.

Teal’c met her in the hallway. “Are you alright, Major Carter?”

“Yeah,” she looked at her Jaffa friend. “I wish I knew what was wrong with them.”

“Perhaps we should discuss the situation with Dr. Frasier.”

“Teal’c, you read my mind.” They started toward the main infirmary. “How was the Colonel?”

“He was still under the effects of the sedative when I secured him in the isolation room. What of Daniel Jackson?”

“Uh...he’s umm...fine, I guess. Except, you know...” Sam ran an anxious hand through her hair.

“Indeed.”

Arriving in the busy infirmary, they waited patiently for Janet to finish the urgent work with the people affected by the accident on level 24. Twenty minutes later, Janet had finally seen everyone and had given her orders to her staff. She grabbed the test results that were waiting for her on her desk and then headed over to where Sam and Teal’c were standing in an out-of-the-way corner of the infirmary.

“Okay.” The doctor was all business as she flipped open the folder in her hands. She squinted at the page. “Well, that explains a lot.”

“What is it?” asked Sam, very worried.

“It looks like all of you have high levels of an unknown compound in your blood. You may have been exposed on your last mission. In your check-up, you told me that you didn’t eat or drink anything?”

“That’s right; we didn’t even run into any locals.”

“Well, it may have been something in the air.” Janet shook her head slightly. “Anyway; this compound seems to be chemically reactive with the hormone testosterone. In Daniel and the Colonel, it appears to be making testosterone more readily available to cell receptors as well as decreasing the production of serotonin. Normally, serotonin acts as an inhibitor to aggressive behaviour.

“I would imagine that this chemical is the reason behind the strange actions of the other members of your team. Their cells are receiving too much testosterone and too little serotonin. That imbalance is what’s causing them to be so aggressive and…uh, libidinous.” She glanced briefly at Sam before she flipped a page in the folder and read some more.

“Now, the levels of the unknown compound in your blood samples are the same as in Daniel and the Colonel, but your serotonin levels are fine. Also, your behaviour indicates that it’s not affecting either of you. So, I’d say that this chemical needs high levels of testosterone to do its work, which explains why it’s not causing any problems for you, Sam. And, Teal’c, I can only assume that your tretonin is protecting you from the chemical’s effects.”

“Can you counteract it?”

“Well it’s possible that their bodies will degrade the substance naturally. I’m going to test that theory by taking some more blood samples from all of you. When those results are back, I’ll know more. If the levels aren’t dropping, then I’ll get working on a counter agent.”

“And in the meantime?”

“In the meantime, there isn’t much I can do. Not until I’m sure of what’s happening, anyway. If they’re going to be violent, I recommend keeping them separated and confined to the isolation rooms. Now, if you’ll both come this way, I’ll get those blood samples.”

When Janet finished with them, Sam took a deep breath and exhaled loudly. “Teal’c would you come with me to talk to the Colonel and Daniel?”

“It would be remiss of me to allow you to speak to them alone, Major Carter.”

She smiled. “Thanks.” Sam tried to decide which one she should see first. Finally, she decided that a half-drugged Colonel might be easier to handle than an alert one, so it would be better to start with him.

To be continued…