Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Generations

by T L Kay
[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Kapitel Bemerkung:
if the sciencey stuff seems kind of vague, that's cause it is. i have no idea what it i'm talking about when it comes to science. just suspend your disbelief a little further and go with it.

The week leading up to the mission passed without much event. Kara spent most of her time with Sam in the lab, working on modifications to a puddle jumper that had been sent from Atlantis. The boys spent most of their time either training with Teal’c and Cam, or watching the Simpsons with Jack. He seemed to have made it his personal mission to cram 20 seasons of a show into one week, but the boys weren’t complaining.

When Kara wasn’t in the lab she spent most of her time with Vala. Of all of her “parents” that she left behind, she missed her mother the most. It took several days before Daniel joined them—awkward and uncomfortable, but still there. The day before they were to leave Kara went into the mess to eat lunch with her parents and instead found only Daniel. She was wary at first and looked around for an empty table, but he smiled at her and indicated the chair across from him.

“So…how are things going?” he asked as she slid into the seat.

She laughed. “Simple things have never been so complicated.”

He looked confused.

“Cam harassed us the other day saying if all we needed was a jumper, why all the fuss?”

“He’ll do that.”

She laughed again. “Yes, but in a way he’s right. A jumper is fairly obvious, but there are all sorts of adjustments that need to be made, and simulations that need to be run. Ancient technology is very temperamental and needs careful working with. I actually heard Sam mumble something about wishing McKay were here.”

“Really?” he asked in disbelief.

“I’m certain of it. She thought she was too far away for me to hear but, you know, advanced.”

He laughed. “She’d probably never admit it though.”

“No, definitely not. But it’s slow going, despite being fairly simple. We’re getting close, though. We don’t blow up as often in the simulations.”

“Well, that’s good.”

Kara smiled. This was nice, having a conversation with him that didn’t involve awkward pauses.

“Look Kara, I want to apologize. I behaved childishly; I shouldn’t have brushed you off like I did.”

“It’s all right, really. I understand the discomfort, this is awkward for me as well, but it must be more so for you.”

Daniel shifted uncomfortably. “That’s not an excuse. You’re a good kid, and I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you, I mean the other me.”

She smiled weakly. “I know. Thank you.”

There was an awkward pause.

“Well look at that, we’re in awkward territory again,” she said to break the tension.

He laughed. “That’s what I was just thinking.”

They had a few moments of laughter and then Sam burst into the mess. She was breathing heavily and looked a little manic. Daniel and Kara had leapt to their feet, and they weren’t the only ones.

Same came straight to them, ignoring the others. “I’ve been looking all over for you.”

“Me?” asked Daniel.

“No, Kara.”

“What’s up?”

“I think we’ve got it,” Sam said happily.

“You ran the simulation?”

“Yes.”

“And we didn’t blow up?” Kara asked.

“Yes.”

“Yes we did?”

“Yes we didn’t,” said Sam with a smile.

“That’s great.”

“Want to come see for yourself? I trust your judgment better than mine.”

Kara turned to Daniel.

“It’s fine,” he said with a smile. “Go play with your toys, I have some stuff I should be doing anyway.”

Kara turned to leave, then hesitated. She took a deep breath, then threw her arms around Daniel. Daniel was stunned, but quickly overcame it and hugged her back. After several awkward moments Kara pulled away, and hurried out of the mess. Sam gave Daniel an encouraging look before turning and following Kara out.


“We’re confident we can finish this mission successfully,” Sam was saying. They were all sitting in the briefing room, and Kara and Sam were going over the mission. General Landry looked concerned, but he nodded.

“I guess we don’t really have a choice in the matter, do we?” He glanced at the kids. “I think our decision has been made for us.”

Sam and Kara exchanged a smile.

“So we can go ahead?” Daniel asked.

“It looks that way. I have to say that personally, I am very interested to get this information. Just make sure you guys come back, ok?”

“Certainly sir,” said Sam.

Landry stood, and left the room, leaving SG-1 alone with their children.
“Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m beat,” said Jack.

Sam laughed. “From watching TV, sir?”

“You know it. So I’m gonna turn in. Make sure to wake me bright and early for tomorrow.”

“Of course sir.”

Jack stood and left the room, then slowly the others did as well, until only Daniel and Vala were left. Daniel turned to leave, he knew what was coming and didn’t want to be there for it. They had already had this argument twice, and he knew that he would eventually bend if she kept bringing it up.

“Daniel,” she said sharply before he could get out.

He sighed and turned around. “Yes?” he asked innocently.

“I’m going tomorrow,” she said.

“Sweetie we’ve been over this,” he said sweetly, trying to keep from enraging her anger, which could sometimes be violent. “It’s not safe.”

“It’s always ‘not safe,’” she said, as if she didn’t know the real reason.

Daniel sighed. “I’m not going to win this one, am I?”

She shook her head. “Not likely.”

He moved closer to her and took her hands in his. “You understand the risk you’re taking?”

She nodded. “But I can’t sit around here while you go off on an adventure. I can’t stand not knowing what happens. And what if something goes wrong and you get sent back in time again?”

He pulled her into a hug. “I understand. But you’re to stay out of trouble.”

She pulled back a little and looked up at him with a smile. “Don’t I always?”