Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Generations

by T L Kay
[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Kara knocked on the door and then entered. The boys looked up from the table where they were sitting playing cards.

“Well?” Jacob asked.

Kara had just come back from a meeting with General’s Landry and O’Neill. General Landry had expressed his reluctance to go ahead with the mission, but had finally conceded.

“We’re going ahead.”

“Well, that’s good right?”

She shrugged. “I can’t help feeling like something’s not right.”

“That same feeling you’ve been having?” Bra’tac asked.

Kara sank into a chair with a sigh. “Yes and no. This whole thing is just so complicated. Oma had the power to just give us that knowledge, why didn’t she?”

“Kara, you know the answer,” said Jacob.

“I know, I know. The whole non-interference thing, which they don’t mind bending when it suits them.” She sighed again and put her head in her hands. “This won’t end well, I can feel it.”

Jacob came over, sat on the arm of her chair and put his arm around her. The tension seeped out of her as she sank into his embrace.

“It’ll be ok, Kara.”

“How can you be sure?”

“Because we’re with family.”

“But—”

“They may not be exactly the same, but they are still family, and they’ll still do anything for us. Plus, they’re SG-1. You remember all the stories we were told. They can face anything.”

“Then why isn’t my father still alive?”

He pulled back from her and looked her in the eye. “Babe, is that what this is all about? Nothing is going to happen to Daniel.” He pulled her back into a hug. “That’s why you’re here.”

“He’s right,” said Bra’tac. “This is why we’re here, why you’re here, to put things right.”

“Everything’s going to be fine, Kara.” Jacob stood up and pulled her to her feet. “Now, we should probably start making preparations and stuff. I just know that pretty little head of yours is full of ideas and you won’t be happy until you build something.”

She laughed.

“We can thank my mother for that.”

“We can also thank your parents for my love of shooting things.”

It was his turn to laugh. “Would you like to do that instead?”

She smiled. “No, I have a better idea.”


“Sam! Jackson!” Cam rounded a corner after Sam and Daniel right as they stopped and turned towards him. “I’ve been looking all over for you. You have to come see this.”

“See what?” asked Sam.

“The kids. They’re down in the exercise room sparring.”

“And?” asked Daniel.

“So is Teal’c.”

They exchanged a look.

“Well,” said Sam. “Things just got interesting.”

“You coming?”

When they got there Teal’c was facing off against Jacob and Bra’tac. Jack was standing just inside the entrance, and he wasn’t the only spectator. There were half a dozen soldiers standing around and watching too.

“There you guys are,” he said as they came over to join him.

“What have we missed?” asked Sam.

“Well, Teal’c took out Bra’tac pretty easily and then Jacob gave him a run for his money.” He and Sam exchanged an awkward smile, and then quickly looked away. “Haven’t seen anything from Kara yet.”

“And now both of them are fighting him. How long’s that been going on?”

“About 10 minutes.”

There was a thud and Teal’c was down.

“That’s my boy,” said Jack under his breath.

Jacob helped Teal’c to his feet and then the boys bowed to him.

“Tek’ma’tae Master Teal’c,” they murmured.

“Tek’ma’tae,” he said, bowing back. Straightening up he turned to the corner where Kara was leaning against the wall. “Kara Jackson, do you wish to fight now?”

Kara’s eyes flickered to Daniel and she smiled. “I must warn you Master Teal’c, I have been able to defeat you for some time now.”

Teal’c smiled. “But I am a younger opponent than you are used to.”

Kara laughed as she stepped out into the center of the room. Teal’c picked up two practice staffs and threw one to her. She caught it and twirled it around expertly. They had never seen a fight be over so fast in their entire lives. It was as if one moment Teal’c was charging her, the next he was lying on the ground with his staff broken in two.

“Sweet,” said Jack.

“Just what I was thinking sir,” said Cam.

Kara helped Teal’c to his feet and they exchanged bows.

“You fight very well Kara Jackson,” said Teal’c.

“Well, I learned from the best.”

Teal’c smiled. “I believe you used several techniques that I am unfamiliar with.”

Kara glanced over at Jack and Sam deviously. “I did pick up some things from some outside sources.”

“Well, it was very impressive.”

“It was,” said Sam as she and the others joined them in the middle of the room.

Kara smiled again. “Thank you.”

The boys joined their little group and an awkward tension seemed to settle over them all.

“Well,” said Jack after a moment, “exercise like that is bound to work up an appetite…or so I’ve been told. What do you say to hitting the mess? I hear they have cake.”

The others voiced their approval of the plan, everyone except Daniel.

“I should go find Vala,” he said, and Kara’s face fell. “I’ll catch up with you guys later.” And he left.

Kara sighed as she watched him go. She felt Jacob’s hand slide discreetly into her own and he gave it a little squeeze.

“It’ll be ok. Come on, let’s get some cake!”

Kara laughed. “You are so much like your father.”

“I’m not really sure if that’s a compliment.”

“You kids know I can hear you, right?” asked Jack.

Sam laughed.

“Yes Carter?”

“Well sir, you do like your cake.”

“That I do.”

“Are we going to stand around here all day talking about cake, or are we going to get some?” asked Cam.

“Lead the way.”

Kara glanced down the hallway Daniel had walked down before allowing Jacob to pull her after the others. Who knew, maybe cake would make her feel better.


“Daniel, you’re an ass.”

“I’m sorry?” Daniel looked up from the ancient text he had been studying to see Jack standing in the doorway.

“You heard me.”

“Ok, why am I an ass?”

“You know why,” he said as he came into the room. “All that girl wants from you is to be around you, get to know her father a little.”

“It’s complicated, Jack,” Daniel said, looking back down at his desk.

“Don’t you think I know it’s complicated? My kid’s here too, and not only is that in itself making things weird, but it drags up a whole new—or rather old—set of issues with Carter. So don’t try to tell me that you’re the only one who’s uncomfortable.”

“But you’re not still going to have that kid.”

“That’s why you’re avoiding her?”

Daniel sighed and leaned forward into his hands. “Every time I see her I think of the daughter I’m going to have and I wonder about things.”

“Like what.”

He dropped his hands to the desk and looked up at Jack. “Like maybe she’s the great person she is because I wasn’t there. Maybe I’m not cut out to be a parent.”

“Come on Daniel, of course you’re not.”

“What?”

“No one’s cut out to be a parent at first, it just kinda happens.”

“If you say so.”

“I do. And in the meantime, give Kara a chance. She’s a good kid who’s just looking for a little paternal guidance. God knows I probably wasn’t a very good mentor.”

Daniel smiled weakly. “Thanks Jack.”

“No problem. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go introduce my son to the Simpsons.”