Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Generations

by T L Kay
[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“So…Oma?”

Daniel was sitting in the mess with Kara eating breakfast. She had been sitting all by herself when he came in. He didn’t entirely feel comfortable sitting down with her, but he somehow felt that he owed her. And he really wanted to hear about Oma.

She swallowed her bite of food and smiled. “Yes, Oma. She’s been amazing. She’s taught me so much about my potential, about my ancestry, and about my purpose. She told me that from the moment I was born she saw in me the same potential that she first saw in you. She was always very proud of you. And very thankful for helping her see what she needed to do.”

“Wait, I don’t understand. If you were born 20 years ago, how do you know about things that only just happened a few years ago?”

“You should know this. The Alterans who ascended aren’t on the same plane as us, meaning that they transcend space and time. They have to obey some of the rules that govern our world so they can interact with us, but the Oma that I knew when I was young is the same one you knew only a few years ago.”

“Of course,” said Daniel. “I should have remembered that. So,” he continued, trying to draw attention away from the fact that he was so uncomfortable that he wasn’t thinking straight, “what kind of stuff did she teach you?”

“How to open my mind to attain my full potential. I’ve been able to learn things faster than I would have been otherwise and can retain information better. I had within me all kinds of Ancient knowledge and power, Oma taught me to tap into that.”

“How so?” asked Daniel, truly intrigued.

There was a pause and then the fork in Daniel’s hand was suddenly flying into Kara’s. She smiled as she handed the fork back.

“Telekinesis?”

“Among other things. Sam once told me that I was like Khalek, the son of Anubis.”

“But not evil?”

She laughed. “No, not evil.”

“This is amazing, we’ve tried to find Ancients or people with the abilities, but it never goes well.”

“So I’ve been told.”

“If you’re like this does that mean my daughter will be?”

There was an awkward pause and Daniel realized what he had just said.

“Oh no, Kara, that’s not what I meant.”

“It’s ok, you’re right. I’m not your daughter; my father was a different version of you.”

“Kara I…” he trailed off. He didn’t know what to say, they were back in uncomfortable territory.

She shrugged it off nonchalantly. “It’s really ok. But to answer your question I don’t know if she will. I don’t know exactly what I would have achieved had Oma never interfered.”

“She does have a habit of doing that.”

“Hello Daniel, Kara.”

They looked up to see Sam entering the mess.

“May I join you?”

“Actually, I was just about to leave,” said Daniel, standing up. “If you’ll excuse me, I have some things need attending to. Sam.” He inclined his head to them and then left.

“He doesn’t like me very much,” said Kara. “I make him uncomfortable.”

“No,” said Sam, slipping into Daniel’s vacated chair. “He doesn’t dislike you, really. He just doesn’t know how to handle the situation, and that makes him uncomfortable, he’s used to having a handle on things.”

“I know, but I still feel bad.”

“Well don’t. You haven’t done anything wrong.”

Kara smiled.

“What?”

“It’s just, this is what my Sam is really best at, cheering me up. I guess you have that in common.”

It was Sam’s turn to be uncomfortable, but she handled it well. “So, why do we have to go through with this mission if the first us were given data crystals?”

“Ah, you caught that part did you?”

Sam nodded.

“Well, my father had them on him when he was captured. Thankfully Ra never knew what they were, but the knowledge was lost. That knowledge is needed. I don’t know everything that was included in it, but Oma stressed the importance of finding it again.”

Sam shrugged. “I guess that’s good enough for me. Besides, I’m always up for another chance to go offworld.”

“Me too, I love it.”

“Wait, you guys have gone offworld?”

“Well, we needed to know what was going on in the timeline. I will say that you weren’t very happy about it to start, but you finally grudgingly came around.”

She laughed. “Sounds like me.”

“Well, if you’ll excuse me,” Kara said, standing up, “I have to go find my brothers. They tend to feel a little…awkward when I’m not around.”

“Wait. Why do you call them your brothers? Is that like a Jaffa thing, or something else?”

“They are my brothers, closer than blood. They are my family, and they’re all I have left now.”

“Wait, all you have left? Can’t you go back?”

Sam looked at Kara, and the look on the girl’s face was answer enough. This had been a one-way trip.

“Sir?”

Landry looked up from the files on his desk to see Sam standing in the doorway. “Come in Carter. What’s up?”

“Sir, it’s about P3C-295. I know you’re still trying to make up your mind about all this, and if I could just say something?”

He nodded.

“Aside from the obvious value of the information we could gather, I feel that we have to do this for them.”

Landry didn’t have to ask who she meant, he knew. “Carter, I understand that those kids risked a lot—”

“They risked everything, sir.”

There was something in the way that she said it that made him pause.

“They risked everything,” she said again. “This was a one way trip for them.”

“They can’t go back?”

“No sir. They accepted that they would never be able to go home so that they could help us come home.”

“I’ll consider that Carter.”

“Thank you sir.”