Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Generations

by T L Kay
[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

“So, that whole Daniel/Vala thing was a little awkward, huh Carter.” Jack asked Sam. They were sitting in the mess eating dinner. Or rather Jack was eating, Sam was picking at her food without enthusiasm. “Carter?”

She looked up from her plate with a fierce expression on her face. “Jack, what is this?”

Jack was taken aback by her use of his name. He wanted to make a joke about the food, to pretend he didn’t understand the question, but he knew. He knew exactly what she was trying to say. “I don’t know Carter.”

“Three years. It’s been three years and you’ve done nothing.”

“Well, I haven’t noticed you doing anything either.”

“Come on Jack, that’s not fair. I’m bound by protocol.”

“Doesn’t seem to be stopping you now,” he mumbled.

She gave a sarcastic laugh. “Don’t start with me; I’m so tired of it.”

“What do you want from me Carter?”

“You know what, forget it. It’s not even worth it.” She grabbed her tray and got up to leave.

“Carter. Carter? Samantha!” He chased her out into the hallway and stopped her. “Look, I came here for one last trip through the gate.”

“I’m sorry?” She was confused by the apparent change of subject.

“I’m retiring Sam,” he said, pulling her down a side hall. “For good this time. I came here to go through the gate one more time and then I’m done.”

“So what does that mean?”

“I don’t know. Do I have to know now? Can’t it be enough that there are options?”

Sam nodded reluctantly.

“Ok. Now, can we go back to the proper way of addressing each other?”

“Yes sir.”

“Good. Now, I believe I saw some cake back there…”

She laughed. “You go ahead sir. I’ll see you later.”

“And Carter?” he said as she turned to leave, making her turn back. “We’ll get there. It may take some time, but we’ll get there.”

She smiled weakly. “Yes sir.”


Knock, knock. “Daniel?” Vala peeked her head around the door into the quarters they sometimes shared. “Daniel can I come in?”

He made a noncommittal noise that she took for a yes. She entered, closing the door behind her.

“Daniel I’m sorry I didn’t tell you yet. I just didn’t know how. We’re still so up in the air, and it’s still so early and well, the last time this happened to me she turned out to be a religious lunatic who tried to take over the universe. So I’m just a little out of sorts.”

“I’m not angry,” he said quietly.

“You’re not?”

He laughed. “Why would I be?” He came over to her and took her hands in his. “This is the happiest I’ve ever been.”

She smiled. “Me too.” Then she laughed. “We’re having a baby Daniel.”

He pulled her into a hug and kissed her on the head. “Yes we are.” He laughed again. “Yes we are.”

General Landry stood in the briefing room with Cam, looking down at the gate. The things that device could do never ceased to amaze him, and he said as much to Mitchell.

“Tell me about it sir. Just when I thought I had seen everything.”

“What do you make of them?”

Cam thought a moment. “They seem like the real deal. I mean, I know Dr. Lam proved that they are who they say they are, but I mean they seem like they’re telling the truth. And if they’re right about this cure…”

“I know what you mean. I’d like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but you’ve got to admit this makes things awkward.”

“Yes sir. I think Jackson’s really freaked out, and that man has handled everything.”

“Having a child changes everything.”

“I assume so, sir. But General O’Neill and Sam and Teal’c seem to be handling it fine. Maybe what makes it so difficult for Jackson is that he’s still actually going to have that child. I mean, she won’t be exactly the same, but she’ll still be pretty close. Teal’c’s never going to have that son, the sane for Sam and General O’Neill. Seeing the child that you’re about to have, but all grown up like that…that’d be enough to freak out the strongest of people.”

“I think the knowledge that he was not around to aid in her upbringing has to be weighing him down. Trust me; he’s wondering if she’s a better person because he wasn’t there.”

“That’s crazy, sir. Clearly that girl wishes she had had a father…” he trailed off as he realized that Landry hadn’t just been talking about Daniel. He wanted to say something, but was afraid to overstep his bounds.
“Sir…”

“It’s all right son. I understand. Now, if you don’t mind, it’s been a strange day. I think I’m going to get some rest.”

“Goodnight sir.”