Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Generations

by T L Kay
[Reviews - 3]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Ancients?” Daniel asked.

“Now you see why you must carry out the mission,” said Kara, nonchalant at being interrupted.

“Getting a chance to meet Ancients is great,” said Sam. “But clearly there’s a catch. So why don’t we just postpone the mission?”

“Because they won’t be there some other time. They migrate during the rest of the year. In a week is their annual pilgrimage to the Ancestral Ring.”

“Ok, I think I’m still missing something,” said Cam. “Why would these people move away from the Stargate? Unless they somehow don’t know what it is?”

“Precisely,” said Kara. “Much of their knowledge has been lost through the thousands of years. One such thing was the knowledge of the gates. They know that it is important, but they don’t remember why.”

“Ok, so not going is out of the question. Clearly we need to meet these people,” said Daniel.

“If for no other reason than the cure,” Kara said.

“The cure?”

“They possess a medicine that will permanently rid the Jaffa of their dependence on Tretonin. And it only needs to be taken once.”

“Is such a thing possible?” asked Teal’c.

“Indeed,” she said with a smile.

“So tell us what went wrong,” Jack said.

“Well, General Landry dialed in, just as Sam predicted, and when he had been told the situation he sent through Colonel Mitchell along with SG-15 and a naquadah generator.”

“Hey, quick side question,” said Cam.

“You want to know why you didn’t go along in the first place.” Kara said.

Cam nodded.

“Unfortunately, I do not know the answer. I was never told. But I assume that whatever it was will still happen.”

“Right. Sorry, continue.”

“Well, Teal’c was given the cure, the Alterans gave you the Knowledge—a set of data crystals—and Sam hooked up the naquadah generator and dialed home.”


They all trooped through the event horizon headed for home. But something was different, an unpleasant jolt and then a pulling sensation. They fell through the other gate at an alarming speed, tumbling over each other.

“Ow!” said Jack, picking himself up and glancing around. “Um, Carter? I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore.”

The others got shakily to their feet and looked around. They weren’t in the gate room, and they weren’t on p3c-295 either. They were standing in a clearing they had never seen before.

“Well this could be a problem,” said Cam. “What happened?”

“I think the wormhole jumped,” said Sam.

“Like that time you and Jack got trapped in Antarctica?” Daniel asked, helping Vala up.

“Ugh. It better not be like that,” mumbled Jack.

“Well, my guess is that we’re either on a planet close Earth, or a planet close to 295,” said Sam.

“And by ‘close’ you mean…?” Cam asked.

“Not right-next-door close, no. I’m talking several hundred light-years.”

“That’s what I was afraid of.”

“Well, on the brightside, this planet has DHD,” said Daniel.

Sam set down her stuff and went over to check it out. “Well, it appears to be working, but what’s our point of origin?”

Daniel joined her, and after several moments pointed out a small symbol. “That one.”

Sam shrugged. “Well, here goes.” She dialed the gate, but it wouldn’t lock. “Damn it.”

“Well, this could be a problem,” said Jack.

“O’Neill,” said Teal’c, pointing his staff weapon at the foliage. “There is someone there.”

“You can come out!” said Daniel. “We’re not going to hurt you.”

“I can’t guarantee that Daniel,” murmured Jack.

There was some rustling and two very ragged young men climbed out into the clearing.

“Hello,” said Daniel. “I’m Daniel Jackson and this is—”

“You are not of Ra.”

“Excuse me? Ra?” said Jack in surprise.

“Only Ra’s Jaffa use the Chappa’ai.”

“They do know he’s long dead, right?” Jack whispered to Sam.

“I don’t think so, sir.”

“Well, we should remedy that.” He stepped forward. “Ra you say? We’re old buddies. Is he here?”

“No, but our god will return soon.”

“Sure he will. Say fellas, you got a place ‘round here?”

The man who had been doing the talking nodded, and pointed back the wa they had come.

“Great. Colonel Miller, you and your team stay here and guard the gate.”

“Yes sir.”

They followed the locals down a path that opened up on a valley, at the base of which was a great pyramid.

“Something doesn’t feel right,” said Mitchell. “This place doesn’t look like a long abandoned Goa’uld world. It looks like someone’s been here recently.”

“Of course,” said their guide. “We are Lord Ra’s favorite naquadah mine. He was here a month ago, and will return any day.”

Jack stopped abruptly. “He’s really been here?”

The man nodded.

“Could you excuse us for a minute?” He pulled the group over to the side and rounded on Sam. “Carter?”

“Well, it’s possible that we traveled back in time as well.”

“You think? So what do we do? And don’t give me that crap about not interfering. I hate this snake-head. I loathe him. I didn’t kill him nearly enough the last time we met. If I get the opportunity to kill him, I will. Save me the trouble of doing it later.”

“Sir, we can’t. We’ve already done too much.”

“Then find us a way home.”

“I don’t know how. I don’t even know how we got here.”

“Well, then, what do you suggest we do?”

“You’re not going to like it.”

“I never do.”

“We need to find a place out of the way where we can live out the rest of our lives in peace.”

“You’ve gotta be kidding me.”

“Jack, she’s right,” said Daniel. “You never know. We might not have to wait very long.”

“What do you mean?” asked Cam.

“We might not have gone that far back,” said Sam. “We can just wait it out. Sir?”

“All right, all right. Hey you,” he said, turning back to the locals. “Are there any other towns around here?”

The man nodded, and pointed off to the north. “There is a village up there. But they are heathens. They do not obey the will of the gods.”

“Sounds like our kind of people. All right. You guys have been real useful. You run along now. Run along.”

The men stared at them.

“Shoo!” said Jack, and they ran off for their village. ‘Huh, who knew that would work? All right, let’s get back to the gate and pick up SG-15.”

“General O’Neill! This is Colonel Miller! We’re under attack!” said a voice from Jack’s vest.

He grabbed his walkie and shouted into it, “Miller! Miller come in!”

They heard weapons fire over the radio, along with men’s frantic shouting. Then it was over, and all they heard was static. Jack opened his mouth to order a rescue when all sound was drowned out by a deafening roar. They looked up to see a Ha’tak vessel descending from the clouds.

“Uh-oh, daddy’s home,” Jack mumbled. “Ok. Take cover, keep low, and let’s head back to the gate. I want to rescue our men.”

They dissolved into the trees and slowly made their way back to the gate. They forced to halt when a troop of Jaffa came marching through, leading what was left of SG-15.

“Son of a bitch,” said Jack when they had passed. “This complicates things.”

“More so than you think, sir. If Ra uses his hand device on them—which he will—they’ll tell him everything about the Stargate program and Earth.”

“And that would be bad?”

“Yes sir, very bad.”

“Then you don’t object to rescuing them?”

“I don’t see that we have any other choice.”

“Good. Teams of two then. Daniel with Mitchell, Teal’c with Vala, Carter you’re with me.”

“What’s the plan, sir?” asked Cam.

“I’m making it up as I go along.”

“My favorite kind.”

“Keep in radio contact. And guys…I never thought I’d have to give an order like this, but…well, if they can’t be saved, make sure they can’t talk.”

The others stared at him in amazement, but they understood. They began to break up, moving in their separate ways.

“Wait,” said Vala loudly, making everyone stop. She threw herself at Daniel, kissing him so passionately that the others looked away in embarrassment.

“What was that for?” he asked—a little breathless—when she had pulled away.

“So you won’t leave me.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it. I’ll be back, don’t worry.”


“Oh my God,” said Cam. “I get it now.”

“Get what?” asked Daniel.

“Why our signatures weren’t on the note, why Kara didn’t know that she’s just like you, why she didn’t know what kept me behind.”

“We died.”

“We died. That’s it, isn’t it?” he asked her.

She smiled and nodded, but it was a sad gesture. “Yes. You were captured, tortured, and then publicly executed as an example. SG-15 never made it out, but they were killed before they could give anything away. Ra never found out who you were, you never told him anything.”

“Whoo-hoo for us,” mumbled Daniel.

“Ra never knew that there were more than Daniel and Cam. The rest of you were able to retreat to the village in the hills and live out your lives in peace. You chose to live a little away from the village so as not to alter the timeline. The result was I, and the boys here, grew up in a kind of extended family. Everyone was part of taking care of us. We learned things like math and science and all that good stuff from Sam. Master Teal’c taught us the art of fighting. Amisi—Teal’c’s wife—taught us about nature. Jack taught us, well the “important stuff,” he called it. Mostly he just taught us to be like him, and about the Simpsons. And my mother taught me how to be me.”

“Wow,” said Sam. “It sounds like you had a great childhood.”

“It could have been a little better,” she said, glancing at Daniel. “Anyway, when I was about 11 two very important things happened. We learned that Ra had been struck down for good, and I met Oma Desala.”

There was stunned silence after her remark. No one quite knew what to say.

“Between Oma and my family, I have been preparing to come here for the last 12 years. Oma told me this is what I was born for, to fix the future.”

“I’m sorry, you said Oma, right?” Daniel asked.

Kara smiled. “Yes. But perhaps that is a discussion for another time. It is a rather long story all by itself, and we have already been here some time. My brothers and I are tired.”

“She’s right Dr. Jackson,” said General Landry. “They need some rest. We’ll return to this later.”

“Hold on sir,” said Cam, leaning forward. “I’ve got a question.”

“Go ahead, son.”

He turned to Kara, looking as if he were choosing his words carefully. ‘We were on 295 how long?” he asked her.

“About a day,” she said warily. She seemed to know what direction he was headed.

“And we clearly weren’t on your planet very long before Jackson and I died, right?”

“Correct.”

“Cam, what are you getting at?” Sam asked.

He looked around the table. “Come on, no one else is thinking it?”

Realization seemed to dawn on them and they all looked to Daniel and Vala. Daniel still looked lost.

“What?”

“You know, Jackson, for being a smart guy, you’re not too bright.”

He still looked confused, and then it hit him. How, if he had died, was his own flesh and blood sitting in front of him. He turned to look at Vala, who was looking cornered. She finally sighed, shrugged and said, with an uneasy smile, “Surprise.”