Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Those That Forget

by Denise
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Jonas stepped through the Stargate and set foot onto the familiar surface of Tagrea. A wave of heat rose up from the rocky surface and he took a deep breath, stopping for a second. "Jonas?" Sam reached out and touched his arm. "You okay?"

He nodded and smiled. "I'm fine."

She nodded. "Okay. But if you need to take a break, you just say so," she said. "Don't let the Colonel spook you."

"Spook me?"

Sam smiled. "He's only grumpy because he doesn't want you to overexert yourself."

"He's not grumpy with you," Jonas said.

"There's a big difference between a burn on the arm and brain surgery," Sam said.

Jonas looked down, slightly uncomfortable with the reminder of one of his failures. He'd tried. He'd really tried. He'd done everything he could to use his unexpected gift of seeing the future to do some real good. He'd thought he was protecting Sam by telling Colonel O'Neill about his vision of her getting hurt. But, as it has turned out, by trying to protect her, he'd really put her life in danger.

"Hey." She shook his arm. "We don't have to go over the whole Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal again do we?" she asked.

Jonas sighed and shook his head. "No."

"Good." She shot a glance forward and nodded. "Cause I think if I descended into detailed technical explanations, the Colonel would shoot me. Come on," she urged. "It looks like our ride is here."

Jonas looked up and watched Ashwan walk towards him, escorted by Colonel Ronson and two other men.

"Ashwan!" Colonel O'Neill called out. He stepped forward and held out his hand in greeting. "It's good to see you," he said.

"Indeed, Colonel O'Neill. Teal'c, Major Carter, Jonas Quinn," Chairman Ashwan acknowledged, shaking O'Neill's hand.

"Colonel O'Neill," Ronson greeted, shaking Jack's hand once Ashwan released it.

"Ronson. What's with the escorts?" he asked.



Jonas looked closer and noticed that both the men were armed. They were looking around attentively, an action that Jonas recognized from his teammates. They were nervous, clearly on the lookout for some sort of threat.

"Things have changed a bit since you were last here, Colonel," Ashwan said. He motioned towards his vehicle. "If you'd like to join us, I have transportation back to the city."

"I thought the Hatak ship was somewhere near the gate," Sam said.

Jonas noticed that her hands never strayed far from her P-90. Colonel O'Neill was doing the same thing and Teal'c's hand was wrapped tightly around his staff weapon.

"It's about a klick and a half that way," Ronson said, pointing off to the left.

"Then why are we going to the city?" Jack asked. "Nothing personal, Chairman, but we're here. The ship is here. Might as well get started on checking it out."

"That's not going to be possible, Jack," Ronson said.

"Why?"

"Like the Chairman has said, things have changed." Ronson looked around. "It's a long story, and probably one better told over a cold drink and with some air conditioning."

Jack shrugged and sighed. "Okay."

Chairman Ashwan led them to two vehicles and they split up, Colonels O'Neill and Ronson got in the first vehicle with Ashwan while Jonas, Teal'c and Sam got in the second vehicle.

They started towards the city, Sam striking up a conversation with the driver while Jonas and Teal'c remained silent. This reminded him a lot of the first time he'd made this trip, he and Teal'c reluctantly escorted to the ruins, alternatingly hopeful that they'd find the Stargate and overwhelmed by the vastness of their surroundings. The Stargate always seemed to loom so large, something that was too massive to ever hide. However, when standing in the middle of a desert, the horizon stretching out for miles and miles, suddenly that massive ring seemed as tiny as the one that encircled his finger.

Jonas could see that they were following rough tracks. This was something that had changed since he left the planet. "Do people come out here often?" he asked, interrupting Sam and the driver.

"Colonel Ronson let his crew rotate back to Earth," Sam said.


"That's right," Jonas said, remembering now the times he'd seen the crews come and go
through the SGC.

"Our people have also been exploring the ruins," the driver said.

"Exploring?"

The man nodded. "Some wish to see the Ring of the Gods, to witness with their own eyes that it is indeed real. Others wish for something more," he answered.

"More?" Sam asked.

"This is part of what the Chairman wishes to discuss with you," the man answered, clearly uncomfortable with the turn the conversation had taken.

"I understand if we're putting you in an uncomfortable position," Sam said. "And I don't even know your name." She smiled at the man and Jonas looked to Teal'c, meeting the Jaffa's amused gaze. She was good at that.

"Marcin Reina," he introduced. "I am one of Chairman Ashwan's bodyguards." Reina was a short man, standing a couple of inches shorter than Sam. His hair was a sandy brown and thinning on top. His build was stocky with a bit of belly hanging over his belt. He didn't seem physically fit enough to fit Jonas' idea of a body guard.

"Chairman Ashwan did not require bodyguards when we were last on this planet," Teal'c said. The amused look was gone and replaced by one of caution and interest.

"A lot has changed," Reina said. "Major Carter, as you are aware, there are two primary groups on Tagrea. Those that believe like the Chairman, that we should explore and examine our past. See what we can learn from it and seek to prevent it from repeating itself. And there are those that believe as Mister Kalfas did, that the past was buried for a reason and that it is best if it remains buried." Reina's hesitant attitude seemed to have faded as he talked, perhaps welcoming a chance to expound to an eager audience.

"I remember," Sam said. "In fact, that's not an uncommon feeling. We've run into it on several planets."

"There is also a third group," Reina continued.

"The religious group," Jonas said. Reina glanced at him, frowning. "We met one of them when we were here last," Jonas continued. "In fact, he helped us find the Stargate."

"Ah yes, Tarek Solamun," Reina said, rolling his eyes. "He and Chairman Ashwan meet quite frequently."

"They didn't strike me as the trouble making type," Sam said.

"Many of them are not," Reina said. "However, in all groups, there are the extremists. Those who are not content to simply talk but seek to take action, usually with little regard to others."

"How bad is it?" Sam asked.

Reina shrugged. "Sometimes it is nothing more than people demonstrating in the streets. Other times, we have had violence. Explosions meant to terrorize and injure, theft of property. All three groups are seeking to attain power over the other two and our planet is becoming sharply divided."

"Finding that ship just made it worse, didn't it?" Sam asked as Reina slowed to a stop, maneuvering the vehicle to the side of the road outside the main city building.

Reina turned off the engine and twisted in his seat. "We thought that we had kept it a secret, however yesterday we learned that members of the religious sect have taken control of the ship. They pledge to destroy it before they will let anyone else take possession of it."

Jonas saw him look out the window. The two Colonels and Chairman Ashwan had already gotten out of their vehicle and were waiting for them. "I would appreciate if you did not reveal my forwardness to the chairman," Reina muttered. He hurriedly got out of the vehicle and the rest of them followed suit.

The streets were busy and people walked back and forth, some ambling slowly while others strode with a distinct purpose. It reminded Jonas of a busy afternoon on Earth, or even on Kelowna. Some carried shopping bags, others the Tagrean version of a briefcase and still others simply walked in small groups, chatting amongst themselves.

A few stared at them curiously, drawn by their strange clothes. Jonas noticed that the two bodyguards spread out, flanking the group. The watched the crowds intently, their hands lingering near their waists.

Ashwan ushered them inside and Jonas followed, Teal'c and the bodyguards trailing him. The inside of the city building was quiet and cool. The floors and walls were made of a stone that looked like marble and the ceilings were high and vaulted. Simple chandeliers hung at regular intervals, their light augmenting that which came in through the windows.

A few plants decorated the hall, which opened up to a large rotunda. Along with the tall plants and benches that dotted the corridor, Jonas could also see armed guards, their stance relaxed, but their weapons very real. He saw Colonel O'Neill look over his shoulder, meeting Major Carter's gaze and knew that he noticed it as well.

Chairman Ashwan led them through the rotunda and down another hall that led to a large conference room. "Please," he said, motioning to the chairs set around the table.

"What's with the militia?" O'Neill asked, standing by, but not taking a seat.

"Things have gotten a little tense here, Jack," Ronson said.

"Tense?"

"Please, Colonel," Ashwan said. "You are safe here."

Ronson made a point of sitting and O'Neill looked around for a second before motioning for his team to do the same. "What exactly are we safe from?"

"Since you have left, those that believe as Mister Kalfas does, ones that we call Denialists, have grown in power," Ashwan explained.

"Denialists?" O'Neill asked skeptically.

Ashwan smiled slightly. "As you can imagine, that is not what they call themselves."

"They call themselves Protectionists," Ronson said. "They believe that the only way to protect us is to insure that the past remains in the past. Buried, literally and figuratively."

O'Neill nodded. "And they call you?"

"Revolutionaries," Ashwan said. "They believe that we are endangering the planet and our people."

O'Neill nodded. "Ok, I can see where discovering a big honkin buried ship might cause a stir..."

"It's done more than that, Jack," Ronson said. "There's a third group, a religious sect. They're, well, they're part Revolutionist and part Protectionist. They don't want to deny that the ship exists, but they also don't want to share."

"Followers of Horus," Sam said.

"Yes, Major," Ashwan said. "We just discovered this morning that the religious order has taken control of the ship. They're threatening to kill anyone who approaches."

"Well, that could be a problem," O'Neill quipped.

"I thought the religious sect was small?" Sam said. "Jonas, did Tarek ever tell you anything?"

Jonas shook his head. "Only that they were few and definitely not a mainstream group," he said, not very fond of feeling like he was in the position of betraying Tarek's trust.

"They are such a small group that many in our government refused to believe in their existence," Ashwan said. "However, since you found the Stargate, there has been a resurgence in their numbers. I do not understand, however, how they could control the ship. What little I have seen of goa'uld technology is beyond our understanding."

"It is not uncommon for a goa'uld to rule on the backs of trusted slaves. These humans or Jaffa would be taught to manipulate the technology," Teal'c said.

"If there was a rebellion like we think there was, it's very possible that some of these slaves ran," Sam said. "We know that artifacts survived, knowledge could have been passed down through the generations as well. We even have religions on Earth that, we theorize, began as human worshiping a goa'uld. Over the millennia, however, the true meaning has been lost. Most people don't realize that the god their ancestors worshiped very well could have been an alien."

"Interesting," Ashwan said.

"Yeah, thrilling," O'Neill said. "Still doesn't help us with getting into that ship."

"I am afraid, Colonel, that my government does not officially recognize the religious sect," Ashwan said. "And, as such, I cannot meet with a group that does not exist."

"Then we are wasting our time continuing this discussion," Teal'c said, his words earning him a harsh glance from O'Neill.

Ashwan smiled slightly. "Teal'c, you, as Colonel Ronson and his crew, are here as guests of the Tagrean government. And, as guests, we will do nothing to prevent you from visiting any old friends you made on your first trip." Ashwan met O'Neill's eyes and looked at him pointedly, not breaking eye contact until the Colonel nodded knowingly.

"Don't ask, don't tell," he said. "You don't care where we go, as long as we don't make you care where we go?"

"Precisely."

O'Neill nodded. "How safe are my people?" he asked.

"Colonel?"

"We've...heard rumors that things are a little...unsettled," Sam said.

"Since Colonel Ronson has been monitoring our broadcasts, he can probably tell you more than I," Ashwan said.

"What doesn't make the broadcasts?" O'Neill pressed.

Ashwan sighed. "There have been acts of terrorism," he confessed. "And they have been downplayed in our broadcasts."

"Do you know which group?" O'Neill asked.

"All of them," Ashwan said.

"All?"

"We have had multiple acts of violence perpetrated by multiple groups," Ashwan said.
"Including people with whom I agree, in theory, even though I do not condone the violence."

"And?" O'Neill pressed.

"I cannot promise you that your people will be safe, Colonel. Just as I cannot promise Colonel Ronson that his ship will never be a target. I can honestly tell you that I know of no threat to the safety of any of your group. And if I hear of a threat, I will inform you as soon as possible," he promised.

"He's a man of his word, Jack," Ronson said.

O'Neill shrugged. "Sounds fair I guess."

"Is Tarek Solamun still the Professor of Mathematics at the university?" Jonas asked.

Ashwan shook his head. "I'm afraid his position was deemed not longer necessary, however I do know how to contact him. My aide can get you that information."

"Anything else we need to know?" O'Neill asked.

"The Denialists still do not know about the ship, however I doubt it will remain that way for long. I have many informants in their ranks, as they do mine. It's just a matter of time."

"You know, Chairman, maybe it's time to stop letting the situation control you and for you to take control of the situation."


/////


"Your assessment of the situation, Colonel?" Hammond asked, leaning forward to get a better view of the computer screen.

"We're probably safer here than in downtown Chulak, sir," O'Neill said, his voice rendered tinny sounding through the MALP relay. "Ashwan says there are no threats against us and Ronson vouches for him."

"I leave that up to your discretion," Hammond said. That was one of the first things he'd learned about command, when to trust the intuition of a field officer. And he trusted O'Neill implicitly.

"We have an appointment to meet Solamun tomorrow," O'Neill continued. "And Ronson is going to put us up on the Prometheus, so we have a secure position to fall back to."

"Whatever you think is best. I don't think I need to remind you that securing access to the Hatak is a priority," Hammond reminded.

"No, sir. You don't. Although, given that the nearest Stargate is forty light years away and Prometheus still needs spare parts from Earth, I'd say that preserving access to the Tagrean gate is even more important."

"I've just spoken to Doctor Larry McMurphy. We should be sending the replacement hyper drive through in a few days. You can tell Colonel Ronson that I've already started to recall his crew."

"He'll be glad to hear that." O'Neill looked down, checking his watch. "I'll check back in forty-eight hours," he said.

"Understood, Colonel. SGC out."

The screen went dark and Hammond sighed, taking a moment to arch his back. Ergonomics were not a strong suit amongst designers of the SGC.

"Sir, SG-12 is waiting upstairs for their pre-mission briefing," Walter Harriman reminded, looking up from his station.

"Thank you, sergeant," Hammond said. There was definitely no rest for the weary...or, as some would say, the wicked.


/////


"Please, come in. Come in," Tarek Solamun welcomed, stepping back from the doorway.

"It's good to see you, professor," Jonas said, pulling off his sunglasses as Teal'c followed him into the man's small house.

The escort provided by Chairman Ashwan remained outside and Teal'c closed the door both granting them privacy and shutting out the heat of the day.

"Please, call me Tarek," he invited, leading them into his living room/study. The room reminded Jonas of the library where they'd first met the man. The walls were lined with bookcases, each one filled to overflowing with bound books and scrolls. Books were piled on the floor and in the corners, only the area around the desk was clear. It smelled of dust and lamp oil.

"Thank you for seeing us," Jonas said deliberately saving the sturdiest looking chair for Teal'c.

"I have little else to fill my time," Tarek said, taking a seat.

"Chairman Ashwan reported that you are no longer employed by the university," Teal'c said.

"Yes." Tarek's face fell slightly. "It was not unexpected."

"Have things been bad?" Jonas asked.

"There has been some violence," Tarek admitted. "Many among my friends have lost their positions or even their homes."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Tarek shrugged. "Such trials are nothing new to members of my order," he replied.

"Speaking of that," Jonas said. "Have you heard about-"

"The ship that was buried in the desert," Tarek interrupted.

"Yes."

"It is indeed a miraculous find. Something that we dare not dream to be possible."

"And the people that have taken it over?"

"Followers of Horus, yes, but not friends of mine," Tarek said.

"They are threatening to kill anyone who approaches the Hatak ship," Teal'c said.

"You must understand. For generations those that believe as I do have been persecuted. We cannot speak of our beliefs to an outsider without being called a heretic. Unions have been broken, children have been disowned. In some extreme cases, Followers of Horus have been murdered for their beliefs."

"You told me that your people are peaceful," Jonas said. "Why threaten violence?"

"Jonas Quinn, for all my life, I have believed in Horus, as my father did before me. That belief led me to explore the Wastelands of Anhur where I found physical proof that my beliefs were true. Yet on the one occasion that I showed my finds to a non-believer, I was accused of fabricating them myself. I refuted that lie and offered my find up to be tested, to prove its authenticity. I was not surprised to discover that every test they performed upon it rendered the same results."

"That your artifact was a forgery," Teal'c said.

"Yes," Tarek nodded. "I accepted long ago that no one would believe me and I was content to collect what relics I could find and preserve them for future generations."

"Is that what they're doing with the ship? Preserving it?" Jonas asked.

"We finally have proof that the government cannot refute or deny," Tarek said. "And there are those among us who would willingly sacrifice their lives to preserve that truth."

"To the point of committing violence?" Teal'c asked.

"In the eyes of some, we are doing nothing but protecting the relics that may be within that ship," Tarek said.

"It is possible that those relics you wish to protect are of a danger to you."

"How do you mean?" Tarek asked.

"The goa'uld are, by nature, a violent and hateful race. Many times, in my years of servitude to a false god, I witnessed their rancor and callousness."

"We once found a Hatak ship in orbit of our planet," Jonas said. "Various systems in it had been altered to entrap anyone who dared to explore."

"You believe that there may be dangers in our Hatak ship?" Tarek asked.

"It is possible," Teal'c said.

Jonas looked at his companion and saw the collusion in the man's eyes. He knew that they could be exaggerating things a bit, that there may be no real dangers on the ship. But it was possible that there were hidden, what was the word Sam used, booby traps, on it. And it would be a shame if some of the Followers of Horus were injured or even killed during their exploration.

"Teal'c used to serve on these ships. And Major Carter is very good with goa'uld technology. If we could just take a look at the ship-"

"You wish to take it from us?" Tarek interrupted.

"I'll be honest with you, we would like to take a look at it. Its memory banks may contain vital information for us," Jonas said. "But we're not going to just take your ship," he said, desperately hoping that he was telling the truth. True, the Tau'ri would like nothing more than to have a replacement Hatak ship, but Jonas didn't think that they would steal it.

"Perhaps a barter can be arranged," Jonas suggested.

"A barter?"

"Let us look at the ship. We can help make sure that it's safe for your people. In exchange, we'd like to just look at it, maybe have access to some of its components, data in the memory banks or maybe even being able to do a detailed study of some of the ship's systems," Jonas suggested.

"I cannot guarantee that," Tarek said. "As I said, the people who have taken control of the ship are not my friends. I know of them, but I do not know them."

"But you can talk to them, see if they'll let us get into the ship?" Jonas pressed.

Tarek paused, his eyes looking out the window. Through the wavy, thick glass, Jonas could see the traffic moving up and down the narrow street, the shapes of the vehicles distorted by the glass. People walked up and down the street, braving the midday heat to complete their errands. "I can try," he finally said. "As a Follower of Horus, they may grant me audience, however I know that they will be suspicious that you will attempt to take their ship from them."

"We won't," Jonas promised.

"You speak for all your kind?" Tarek pressed.

"No," Jonas said. "But, Tarek, I know these people. They don't steal. The ship is yours. And anyway, it's buried. We'll never be able to dig it out. And, even if we do, there's a very good chance that it's not space worthy, and it won't fit through the Stargate." He smiled disarmingly. "It would be hard to steal."

Tarek smiled slightly. "I do see your point. Marshak Anon is the leader of the group who have taken custody of the ship. I shall attempt to speak to him. I do not know if he will permit you access, but I shall ask."