Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Pandora’s Box – General Jack Year 2 Part 5

by Flatkatsi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Pandora’s Box


It was shaping up to being another quiet day at the office, when Daniel called. The sound of his voice through the MALP was thin and tinny, as if it was coming from millions of miles away. Maybe because it was.

SG-1 was on another one of those routine missions that had so often ended in disaster when I had been leading them, but for some reason, once Carter had taken over the reins, tended to go like clockwork. The ruins on PXC-886 had looked interesting even to my jaded eyes, the large columns toppled one on top of the other reminding me of a trip to Athens I had made too many years ago to count. Concentrated as they were, in one small corner of a high plateau, they looked amazingly like the Parthenon, even down to the dominant temple looking structure in the middle of the complex.

I had farewelled the four members of SG-1, Carter’s nice new Lieutenant Colonel silver oak leaves shining on her shoulders, and stood for a few minutes watching as the wormhole shut down, before heading back to my office.

Now, only an hour later, Daniel was asking for help.

“No, Daniel. I don’t have time to look at the inscriptions.” I could feel the eyes of the Control Room staff on me as I bent over the microphone, trying to keep the annoyance from my voice.

“Okay, Jack. I understand.”

That didn’t seem right. Was this the Daniel I knew so well? Where were the arguments, the persuasion, the whining?

What would it hurt to take a quick look at some Ancient writing? It wasn’t like I had anything important to do. Or at least anything I considered more important – the Joint Chiefs might disagree. I bent back down to the mic.

“I’ve changed my mind, Daniel. Send it through and I’ll see if I can read it.”

There was a pause, and then a pleased sound, somewhat like a yelp, followed by Daniel’s voice.

“Thanks, Jack. I’m sending now.”

I turned to the screen, seeing the blurred image sharpen up as the focus was adjusted. The script was carved into a stone near the base of a plinth, and ran round the corner and out of sight.

It was probably a recipe for fried chicken.

“Can you get closer?”

The camera moved, bringing the letters into sharper relief, and I settled into the seat, pen in hand.

“Coffee, sir?” I nodded a thanks, and took the proffered mug, idly sipping the hot liquid as I worked.

Nope. Wasn’t a recipe. Looked more like a…

Oh damn!

“Carter! Get everyone home – NOW!”

There was barely time to register sounds of confusion, before the transmission ended with a hiss of static.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

“Begging the General’s pardon, but you can’t go.” Colonel Harper looked like he was about to have a heart attack. I ignored him, zipping my radio into its pocket. “Sir!”

I raised my head and glared up at him. “I haven’t got time for this, Colonel. I’ve called the President. He was in a meeting. I’ve left a message. When he returns my call, tell him I couldn’t wait and explain the situation.” I stood and picked up my pack, swinging it up and on to my back. He followed me down the corridor, protesting all the way. I could see his point. I really could.

But I could ignore it just as easily.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

The silhouette of the ruins showed up starkly against the rapidly setting sun, the red light giving the whole scene a decidedly eerie feeling.

Ferretti gave rapid fire orders, making sure the DHD was undamaged, and that there were no hostiles in the vicinity of the gate. I was aware of his actions, but focussed most of my attention on the temple a few hundred metres away. I knew what I would find, even as I crunched my way across the gravel strewn ground.

Nothing.

I felt Lou’s hand on my arm, holding me back.

“Sir, I’ll go first.” It wasn’t a suggestion. I was a non-combatant now and the Colonel was treating me as such. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, but I paused and let him enter the building first.

The interior was dark, our torches the only light, but I didn’t need much light to do what I had to. The inscriptions around the base of the column had told me where my team was, and that I was the only one able to rescue them. They were a warning, a “Do Not Trespass” sign, if you will. And naturally, SG-1 had trespassed. They were okay, or as okay as you can be locked in what was to all intents and purposes an alien holding cell, but only one person could get them out.

Me.

I moved swiftly to the altar like stone at the end of the gloomy aisle, my gaze already searching for the correct combination of panels to press. Lou hovered protectively at my elbow and I knew the rest of his team were watching from the doorway, but I ignored them, placing my palms on two panels marked with the Ancient symbols.

Pressing, I shut my eyes and concentrated as hard as I could, hoping like hell that I still had enough of the Ancient ability in me to do what I had to do. My hands moved, seemingly of their own volition, words from that long forgotten language flowing from me. Warmth crept from my fingertips, up along my arms and into my chest, and I felt my heart pounding with the energy I required for the task. The whole process probably only took about five minutes, but it felt so much longer, long enough that my legs had begun to tremble and only my hands on the stone were holding me up.

Slowly I let my grip loosen, seeing Ferretti had moved a little further from me than he had been originally. I gave him a reassuring grin and was about to suggest we move outside when there was a excited shout from one of his men who had been keeping guard at the door.

“Sir, they’re here.”

And there they were. Carter, Daniel, Teal’c and Evans, sitting in a large transparent box just tall enough for them to stand up in.

It would have been comical if it hadn’t been so serious. You see, I was the only one who could have brought them back into phase with our time, and the only one who could open the lid. The Ancient device had trapped them like bugs in a jar, only able to be freed and sent home by one of that long dead race. It would have meant a long, slow death for my friends.

Now I just needed to release the lock. The possibility for endless jokes at Daniel’s expense made me smile as I reached forward.

It was then that the world blew apart.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Several Goa’uld motherships, whole battalions of Jaffa warriors, and hundreds of deathgliders can have that effect.

The rumbling, shaking, and zooming that filled the air reminded me of an old movie about World War Two, except these weren’t our boys storming the beaches. I took one look at what was heading our way, and snapped the lock on the box.

“Get in!”

Colonel Ferretti didn’t hesitate. He practically threw his Lieutenant through the opening, leaving him floundering to stay upright. The other two SG-2 members followed suit, and I don’t know which of us pushed who, but Lou & I came in the opening together. I slammed the door shut behind us just as the first staff weapon blast hit the surface of the box.

“Jack! What the hell is going on?” Daniel extracted himself from behind Lieutenant Cartwright, rubbing his head. The addition of so many extra bodies made for a tight squeeze, but at least we all fitted.

“We’re being attacked and this is the only place we will be safe.”

“And where exactly is here, Jack?” Daniel was sounding ever so peeved. I suppose being stuck in a box for an hour or so, having it opened, but having the door shut again before you can leave, just might be a little vexing.

I tried not to wince as blasts resounded across the whole surface of our little prison. “It’s a bug catcher, Daniel. And before you ask – yes, you are the bug.” From the look on his face, I didn’t think he was happy with my explanation, so I shrugged. “Okay, kiddies, let’s all get comfortable while Uncle Jack tells you a story.”

I waited until they had all managed to find space to sit, or at least prop themselves against the walls. Teal'c and Ferretti remained standing, ever alert, and I got the distinct impression that my presence was a good part of the reason why
I wouldn’t say the others were relaxed – the faces of the Jaffa staring in at us weren’t easy to ignore, but Ferretti’s two newbies exchanged glances and a little of the tension eased from them, just as I had planned.

“A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.”

“Ah, sir. Have we got time for this?” Carter was looking very apprehensively at the troops converging on our position, but I was pleased to hear a slight snigger from the direction of Captain Evans. I knew I liked that man.

“I’ll give you the Cliff Notes version if you want, Carter, but you’ll miss out on most of the characterisation.”

From Daniel’s groan of frustration, I gathered brevity wasn’t an issue, so I nodded, and took a seat cross legged in front of them, trying to pretend it was comfortable and that my knee wasn’t screaming at me to get up.

The irony of Daniel groaning at one of my explanations, instead of the other way around, wasn’t lost on me. I began – speaking slightly louder to make myself heard over the shouts from outside.

“From what I could read of the inscription Daniel sent me via the MALP, this is the site of an experimental transportation system the Ancients were developing. They didn’t want any other races fooling with it, so put up a warning notice at the entrance to the main building. Anyone who wasn’t suppose to be here was isolated safely in this trap until an Ancient came and dealt with them.”

“Dealt with them? How?” Ferretti looked nervously around as if he was about to be hit by bug spray.

“As far as I could tell, they would be transported back to their home world.”

“Should we be concerned about the activity currently occurring around us, O’Neill?”

At Teal’c’s words I stood, moving to the side of our enclosure. I have to admit the sight that met my eyes was pretty spectacular. We were completely surrounded by what appeared to be the entire combined forces of the System Lords, with several First Primes glaring at us through the transparent wall. Repeated staff blasts sent sparks rebounding off the surface and back at the Jaffa who shot them, sending a couple to the ground with smoking holes in their armour.

I placed my palms on the ‘glass’ and smiled sweetly out. “Don’t worry guys. This box was designed to keep the occupants perfectly safe until they were released. There is nothing anyone out there can do to us.”

“That’s fine, Jack.” Daniel stood and joined me at the wall. “But how are we going to get out now that our ‘Ancient’ is in here with us bugs?”

The distinctive sound of transporter rings drowned out the beginning of my answer. Multiple transporter rings. What I wouldn’t have given for a nuclear missile strike right then.

So much gold in one place can be very stressful on the eyes, the glare enough to make a blind guy blink, even at night, so I pulled my trusty sunglasses from my pocket and put them on.

“Hi, guys. Long time no see.”

“We have never met before, Tau’ri.” Some young whippersnapper of a Goa’uld was the first to answer, his eyes glowing in the darkness. “I am Churlon.”

I waited, but it didn’t come.

I had to ask.

“Okay, what happened to the ‘bow before your god’ line, Churly? Mind if I call you Churly? Because it seems to suit you, with that pissed off look and all.”

A figure moved out from behind the others, a sneer on his arrogant face – one I recognised.

“We do not want you to bow before us, O’Neill. We just want to see you die, along with your companions.”

I broadened my smile. “Zippy! Good to see you. How have things been? How’s the family?”

Zipacna scowled in at me. I was glad to see he’d lost that ridiculous headdress thing, and gone with the standard over the top gold robes.

“Silence! You will surrender yourself to us.”

Turning my back on him, I gave my fellow inmates a questioning look.

“What do you think, kids? Do you want to go play with these guys, or do you want to go home now it’s dark and way past your bedtime?”

“I would prefer to return to the SGC, O’Neill. I do not wish to ‘play’ with these Goa’uld.” Teal’c gave me one of his patented eyebrow quirks and continued. “I assume you have the means to achieve this?”

The younger members of the group – Evans, and Ferretti’s men, were all looking just a little pale, and I realised this was probably the first time they had really come up against the so-called might of the System Lords.

“Sure I can, Teal’c. No problemo.” I hoped my confidence wasn’t misplaced, because if it were we would be so deeply in the shit that I didn’t even want to think about it. I started across the floor towards the opposite side, careful not to step on any legs. It was only a few seconds before I stopped. “Okay kids, you have permission to stand up so I can get through.”

The resulting movement cleared a path for me and I continued on my way, ignoring Daniel’s mutter of “Gee, thanks Jack, as if I needed your permission to stand.” He was SO going to get grounded when we got home.

“Sir?” Carter stood beside me, her voice low. “Don’t you think it’s a little too much of a coincidence that the Goa’uld turned up on this planet at the same time we did? Daniel found no evidence of any Goa’uld presence here before now. Maybe we should try and find out why they’re here?”

Thinking about it, she was right, it did seem too much of a coincidence.

“What do you suggest, Colonel?”

“We could always get Daniel to talk to them. After all, it is part of his job description, sir.”

“Oh! Job description! Do you think I have a job description, Carter?”

“You could do, sir. It probably says something about never going offworld.”

At that point I conceded defeat, giving Carter a dirty look and edged over to Daniel, one eye on the assembled enemy. They were bringing up the big guns, and I meant that literally. I hoped I was right about the impervious nature of the Ancient’s trap, because those weapons looked like they meant business.

“Want to do your thing, Daniel? See if you can find out what brought them here?” He nodded, watching the huge canon being aimed, its barrel pointing directly at us. Not that I was worried or anything, but…”Now might be a good time.”

He raised his voice loudly enough to catch the attention of the group of Goa’uld rapidly retreating from the line of fire.

“Excuse me. Can I just ask one question?”

The gaggle of Goa’ulds stopped, turning as one. The echoing tone of a female snake called a command and the cannon halted its movements. The speaker then came towards us, the hem of her robes raising small puffs of dust from the ground as she walked.

“I am Kali.” I saw Daniel flinch slightly, and remembered his report on the Goa’uld summit. Kali had been there, and had obviously left an impression of my friend. “What is your question?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Killing Tau’ri.” There were several laughs from the group at this comment. Goa’uld humour – gotta love it.

I’ll give Daniel points for calmness though. He didn’t even hesitate with his response. “How did you know we would be here?”

Kali smiled. A smile that made me think of an old expression of my grandfather’s – she looked like she’d eat her children.

“That is a second question, Doctor Jackson. I only said I would answer one.”

“Why not tell him, Kali. Let the knowledge of their betrayal be the last words O’Neill and his companions hear.”

Betrayal?

Kali didn’t look at the speaker, merely exchanging a nod with Zipacna before answering.

“You are right, Olokun.” She stepped closer, until her lovely body was pressed against the ‘glass’, so close to mine that it was almost as if we touched. She lowered her voice, and spoke in a seductive whisper. “It was you, O’Neill. We came for you. The rest don’t matter. As soon as we were told you were offworld and vulnerable, we came. It should flatter you to know your death has brought together so many rival System Lords for the sole purpose of destroying one Tau’ri.”

I spoke in the same tone, knowing the others were straining to hear. “How did you know I was offworld?”

She smiled again. “You have many enemies, O’Neill, and not just amongst the Goa’uld. Your own race betrayed you. Our spy in your SGC informed us the moment you set foot through the chappa’ai. We have been waiting long for this day, and he will be richly rewarded when your planet falls to us.”

I didn’t allow my surprise to show. A spy at the SGC. It was imperative that we got back home and find the traitor. If only we knew who.

I had to keep Kali talking. Any clue she gave us was valuable.

“You can’t harm us in here, Kali.” I spoke loudly, the Goa’uld language making my voice as arrogant as any snakehead’s. “We are safe from your weapons. You have played into my hands, just as your so-called spy. We have been feeding him false information for months.” The flash of the Gou’uld’s eyes betrayed her surprise, both at my words and the use of her own language. I heard murmurs from the others, several heads bending to others, as they became more agitated. “Oh, come now, you didn’t believe the reports, did you? Did you have no doubts?”

I could have heard a pin drop from the others in the box with me as they listened to my speech. I knew Daniel was the only one able to understand me, but no one interrupted.

“I told you not to trust him so much. Did I not tell you the tales of O’Neill’s healing powers were patently ridiculous?” Churlon pushed his way back to the front, raised himself to his full height, and glared down at Kali.

To my stunned amazement, my ruse had worked, the answer making me reel with its implication. Now we just needed to get back to the SGC.

Ignoring the now furious Goa’uld, I raced over to the far wall, pressing against it at waist height. As the panel, flashing with crystals, was exposed, I heard a shout go up from a voice I recognised as Zipacna’s.

“General, they’re going to fire the canon.” Carter sounded remarkably calm under the circumstances.

I didn’t take time to answer. I had to concentrate.

“Jack!”

Shit, Daniel, now was not the time to distract me!

The combination I needed to press and turn came into my mind with the flash of a lightning strike, and I saw my hands blurring with the speed at which I move.

The hum of the transportation system harmonised with the roar of the canon as it fired. I had time to catch the flash of my companions disappearing in a ball of green light, before I too was flung from that place.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Waking up on hard, compacted dirt, wrapped half around the thick trunk of a tree, with a headache the size of the Grand Canyon, is not one of my favourite things to do on a bright sunny morning.

And bright and sunny it was.

Not the Gate Room. Nosireebob.

Not unless the SGC had got into environmental issues in a big way since I was there last. Somehow I didn’t think the Air Force would spring for the cost of planting the Gate Room with dense, yellow trees.

I raised myself up on one elbow and looked around.

Alone.

No one in sight. Or at least as far as I could tell, given the number of trees within a few feet on where I lay.

Crap.

This wasn’t meant to happen. The transporter should have sent us all home.

God, I hoped the others were safe, and not scattered about the galaxy like flotsam.

I had to find out where I was, see if the others were here.

I tried to pull myself away from the tree and stand.

It was then that it hit me. As I lay there, uselessly.

I couldn’t feel my legs.

I was SO screwed.

The End