Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

New Neighbour

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“I’m sorry,” Daniel whispered, when he finally managed to look up from his mother’s embrace.

“Danny, of course you were upset and as Jack put it freaked,” Claire smiled, gently wiping away the tears from his cheeks.

“How much do you remember?” Daniel asked as they sat down.

Claire frowned, “I don’t remember much, though it is coming back quite quickly but I remember your father and I remember you.”

Daniel swallowed hard, “What about the day…”

“I remember we were setting up an exhibit,” Claire said thoughtfully, “Standing under the coverstone, which was truly stupid,” she took her son’s hand and gently touched his cheek, “I heard you cry out, I wish I could forget that and then your father grabbed me around my waist. He threw me and the next thing I can remember is the day I woke up in the hospital.”

“That must have been so scary,” Daniel said, “Not knowing who you were.”

“I just decided to get on with my life and, until a few months ago when I moved here, I managed to do it,” Claire replied, “First seeing you and then the book you gave me, my own diary, managed to unlock my memory and the pictures...” Claire stopped as she felt her eyes fill with tears, “And now, I remember losing my husband and how much I missed of my little boy’s life.”

Daniel hugged her tightly; “You’re grieving for Dad?”

“I never remembered, so I was never able to and it feels like it happened only yesterday,” she sighed, “But I have you back now.”

They both turned to the door as a soft knock was heard.

“Yeah?” Daniel called.

Jack poked his head round the door, “I thought you two would like a lift back home so you can catch up somewhere above ground.”



Claire tossed her keys down on the table as she and Daniel wandered into her apartment. She hit the button to check her answer machine before going to make some coffee for them.

“Mom,” Elizabeth’s voice came, “We’re all booked on the same flight so we will just come straight to your apartment together. See you then.”

Claire suddenly froze, the girls. She turned to see Daniel staring at the pictures of them.

“Your sisters,” Claire smiled, “Won’t they be surprised.”

“They’re coming here?” Daniel asked nervously.

“It’s my…well the date I use as my birthday in a few days,” Claire said before she smiled, “My birthday’s actually in a month from tomorrow.”

Daniel saw the smile cover her face, “You weren’t that far out,” he hesitated slightly before continuing, “But today is …”

“The day Mel died,” Claire whispered, “The day you thought I had died too.”

Daniel nodded sadly taking the coffee his mother offered him, “I guess its sort of fitting today’s the day we found each other again.”

“So,” Claire took a seat, “Tell me everything about you.”

*********************************************

Claire opened the door and smiled seeing her three daughters standing.

“Hey, Mom,” Elizabeth took the lead, hugging her mother before letting the others say hello.

Elizabeth wandered over to the couch and stared at the papers covering the table, “Mom, what is all this?”

“Archaeological journals,” Claire replied.

“Why?” Maria asked, “I thought that was Kelly’s obsession.”

Claire grimaced, she’d have to tell them anyway and the sooner the better.

“Girls, take a seat,” Claire told them, “There’s something I really need to tell you.”

“What?” Kelly asked.

“Did you remember something?” Elizabeth asked eagerly, “Did the pictures of the diary writer help you remember?”

“Mom, before Elizabeth’s head explodes, please tell us,” Maria rolled her eyes at her elder sister.

“Elizabeth’s right,” Claire told them, “I have remembered about who I was before my accident.”

“How much?” Elizabeth asked excitedly.

“Just about everything,” Claire smiled.

Elizabeth jumped up, “Oh Mom, that’s incredible. Who are you? What’s your real name? What…”

Maria slapped her hand over her sister’s mouth, “Let her answer the first few questions.”

“Girls, sit down,” Claire told them, perching on the coffee table across from them, “My real name is Claire Jackson. Dr Claire Jackson to be precise.”

“Doctor?” Maria asked.

“Of Archaeology,” Claire laughed, “I can almost remember about three of the languages I speak.”

“You were an archaeologist?” Kelly squealed animatedly.

“What else?” Elizabeth pressed excited.

“There is one more very important thing you three need to know,” Claire swallowed; this was going to be hard.

“You can tell us, Mom,” Maria squeezed her hand.

“It can’t be that bad,” Kelly added.

Claire took a deep breath, “Before the accident I was married. My husband died the day of my accident.”

“And you’ve just remembered,” Elizabeth sympathised, taking her other hand and squeezing it, “I’m so sorry, Mom.”

“That’s not all,” Claire told them, “We had a son.”

“Do you know what happened to him?” Maria asked, curiosity in her eyes.

“He…he,” Claire smiled, “He lives next door.”

“What?” all three yelled.

“No wonder you found him so familiar,” Elizabeth enthused, “What are the chances that something like this would happen? That in the entire world, the place you move is next door to the son you couldn’t remember. When do we get to meet him?”

“He had to go to work,” Claire told them, “So in a few days.”

“Fabulous,” Kelly grumbled.

“Enough,” Elizabeth hissed at her sister.

“I know this is a shock,” Claire told them, “Imagine how Daniel and I felt. Girls, Danny is my son and he is your brother, whether you like it or not he’s a part of this family.”



“What is your problem?” Elizabeth snapped at her baby sister when she got her alone, “Why are you acting like such a brat?”

“I am not…”

“Kelly,” Elizabeth cut her off, “This isn’t like Mom had an affair years ago and suddenly there’s a kid. He’s older than me; he thought she was dead, for Gods sake, Kelly get over it.”

“So, we’re just supposed to welcome him with open arms?” Kelly demanded angrily, “As though Dad never existed.”

“The divorce wasn’t Mom’s fault,” Elizabeth fumed, wanting to strangle her baby sister, “You don’t have any clue what happened between them and blaming this guy for it is just stupid. You haven’t even met him.”

“You know something?” Kelly told her sharply, “I don’t want to.”

Elizabeth groaned as Kelly stalked away into the spare room.

“She’s her father’s daughter,” Claire said, coming over, “She won’t believe her father isn’t the guy she has on the pedestal.”

“What about your first husband?” Elizabeth asked before suddenly grimacing, “Do you mind me asking about him?”

“No,” Claire sighed, “Mel was…he was the sweetest person I knew but so passionate about the things he cared about. He loved his work, to dig and discover was what he lived for until he met me and we had Danny.”

“How did you meet?” Elizabeth was a journalist to the core.

Claire closed her eyes, “He ran into me when I was in College but after that meeting I didn’t see him again for a few more years. We met again at a dig and he asked me to have dinner with him, I refused the first few times but he was really persistent.”

“You truly loved him,” Elizabeth smiled.

“I know this sounds awful to you but I loved him more than I loved anyone,” Claire gently touched Elizabeth’s cheek, “I loved him more than I loved your father.”

“Don’t let Kelly hear that,” Elizabeth laughed before becoming serious, “I’m looking forward to meeting Daniel though. I know Kelly is acting like a brat and Maria hasn’t said anything but I am happy that you finally know who you are.”

“Thank you,” Claire hugged her eldest daughter.

*********************************************

“Daniel, you have to buy yourself a real car,” Jack cried as they walked out of the elevator, “How many times has it died on you now?”

“I liked that car,” Daniel protested, opening the door to the apartment and letting them in, “But I guess you’re right.”

Jack stopped and stared at him, “You’re actually agreeing with me?”

“You’re hysterical,” Daniel grimaced, “Thanks for giving me a lift home. I’m meant to be meeting my…my sisters tonight.”

“Nervous?”

“Try scared to death,” Daniel frowned, “I’ve never had siblings, I’ve always been an only child, except when I was in foster care but even then…”

“Breathe,” Jack interrupted him, “Just breathe.”

“I wish I could have either you guys as back-up,” Daniel told his friend, “Or a zat.”

“Claire’s your mother,” Jack clapped his shoulder, “They have to accept that. She isn’t going to leave you again.”

Daniel dropped his head, “That’s the one thing I keep thinking is either this is going to be a dream or something’s going to take her away from me again.”

“Then hold onto this now,” Jack told him, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Jack,” Daniel called after him.

“Yeah?”

“You wouldn’t want to stay for moral support?” Daniel asked hopefully.

“How bad could this be?” Jack tried not to laugh.



“Kelly’s not coming,” Elizabeth told her mother when she arrived at the apartment, “Mom, she’s refusing to meet him.”

“Because…”

“Because she’s a little bitch,” Elizabeth snapped, “I’m sorry, Mom.”

“It’s okay,” Claire sighed, “I’ll have to talk to her but Daniel will be here in a few moments.”

On cue the doorbell rang. Claire smiled as she opened the door to find two men standing there.

“Jack,” she laughed, “What are you doing here?”

“Making sure he didn’t chicken out,” Jack grinned, giving her cheek a kiss, “Now I’ll get going.”

“Stay,” Claire told him, she had become very fond of Jack, “We have an extra place anyway.”

Jack shrugged and stepped inside to let Daniel hug his mother, watching them Jack grinned it was so good to see Daniel happy.

“Hi,” the young woman standing beside him said.

“Hey,” Jack grinned, “Which one are you?”

“I’m Elizabeth,” she introduced herself, “And you would be?”

“Jack O’Neill, a friend,” he grinned, shaking her hand.

“Elizabeth,” Claire turned, “I see you’ve met Jack and this is Daniel.”

Daniel gave a nervous smile to his sister who grinned back before stepping forward and hugging him. Jack saw Claire’s eyes fill with relief.

“Well, Maria is running late,” Claire told Jack before sighing, “And Kelly isn’t coming.”

“I take it she wasn’t too happy about this,” Jack said.

“No,” she frowned, “My youngest has taken this as a slight against her father.”

Jack thought about that for a few moments, “How did she work that out?”

“I have no idea,” Claire sighed again, “But at least one of my daughters is happy for me to find Danny again.”



It was almost an hour later, while they were eating, that Maria arrived.

“Sorry I’m late,” she apologised, hugging her mother, “I got a call from work. They managed to lose a whole load of my files.”

“Did they find them again?” Elizabeth asked.

Maria rolled her eyes, “After about two hours on the phone to them, with me trying to visualise my office to direct them. Anyway, I’m here now so where is he?”

Claire smiled, “Danny,” she beckoned to her son.

With a deep breath and a encouraging pat on the shoulder from Jack, Daniel stood up and went to face his second sister.

Maria frowned looking up at Daniel, “Whoa,” Maria turned to her mother with a frown, “Okay, explain how he got to be over six foot and the rest of us are shrimps?”

Everyone laughed as Maria hugged Daniel, “You’ll get used to me.”

“I’m sure I will,” Daniel smiled.

“Come on and get something to eat,” Claire told her middle daughter.

“Great, I’m starving,” Maria dropped into a seat beside Jack, giving him a confused look, “Either Kelly had some serious plastic surgery or I’ve missed an introduction.”

“I like her,” Jack murmured.

“This is a friend of mine,” Daniel said, “Jack O’Neill.”

“Hey,” Jack offered Maria his hand who shook it.

“Nice to meet you too,” Maria smiled before starting to eat.



“What do you do, Daniel?” Maria asked him as they were sitting drinking coffee after dinner.

“I’m an archaeologist,” Daniel replied, “I followed in my parents footsteps.”

“Also an Anthropologist and Linguist,” Jack punched his shoulder lightly, “You can boast, Danny. As unassuming as he may seem, he is a genius.”

Maria and Elizabeth laughed as Daniel blushed while Claire smiled proudly.

“Mom,” Maria turned to her, “You said you knew three languages?”

“That I remember,” Claire shrugged.

“Actually,” Daniel interrupted, “You know ten.”

“Really?” Elizabeth grinned, “See Mom, all these talents you never knew you had.”

“Daniel, you’ll have to help me remember them,” Claire smiled at her son.

“How many do you speak, Daniel?” Maria asked.

“Well…” Daniel squirmed uncomfortably, not wanting to isolate his newfound sisters.

“At last count twenty-seven,” Jack replied for him.

“What are you two?” Maria cried in amusement, “A double act?”

Jack and Daniel glanced at each other with a grin.

“Actually, there are usually two more in the act,” Jack replied slyly.

“Now there’s a show I’d love to see,” Elizabeth shot back.

Jack suddenly grinned, “Well I have a barbecue about this time every year, if you guys want to come? You’ll get to meet everyone Daniel works with and hear all the dirt.”

“Jack!!” Daniel cried.

“I’d love to,” Elizabeth smiled, “And I think I speak for Maria as well.”

“Definitely,” Maria nodded.

“Excellent,” Jack grinned, rubbing his hands together, “This will be great fun.”

*********************************************

Claire sang to herself as she cleaned the apartment, starting when she heard the doorbell.

“Kelly,” she frowned at her youngest, “I hope you have a good reason for not turning up last night.”

“I was doing a little research,” Kelly held up the folder she was carrying, “I thought you would like to see them.”

Claire sighed in annoyance, “Kelly…”

“I’ve got to go,” Kelly told her, “I’m going to see Dad.”

Claire caught her youngest child’s arm, “Just because I now know who I was, doesn’t mean I suddenly don’t love you the same. That will never change.”

“You should read what I found, Mom,” Kelly told her before kissing her cheek, “I’ll call you when I get to Dad’s.”

Claire sighed and waited until Kelly had entered the elevator before closing the door. Picking up the folder, she opened it, somehow not surprised to find papers written by her son. Making herself some tea, Claire sat down and started to read.

As she read each one, Claire started to understand just how brilliant her son was, then she saw the one Kelly had marked in red. Reading through it Claire couldn’t help but laugh, she remembered this conversation between Mel and Danny. Mel was frustrated by something he’d found that hadn’t seemed to make sense when their five-year-old said maybe it was older then.

It was good to know that Daniel had never forgotten the theory he had made with his father that night and had built upon it, although she knew how brave he must have been to actually stand up and recount his theories to others. Kelly was being vindictive and Claire knew she couldn’t let her daughter get away with it.



Kelly sat in her lecture, absently making notes when a name made her look up.

“These were two old friends of mine,” her professor was explaining, “Dr’s Claire and Melburn Jackson. They were unfortunately killed in an accident while they were setting up an exhibit.”

Kelly stared at the picture; her mother with her first husband, listening intently as he told them about several digs he went on with them and then the sad story of their death. The rest of the lecture was completely blanked out as her focus remained on the tale.

“Excuse me,” Kelly said after the lecture, walking towards her lecturer’s desk, “Professor Mendel, can I ask you a question?”

“Of course, Miss Walker,” he smiled, “I always welcome questions.”

“It’s about the people you were talking about, the Jacksons.”

“Of course,” he looked interested, “What do you want to know?”

“You were saying they had a son?”

“Of course,” Mendel smiled sadly, “Daniel, a precocious child, I saw him at the funeral and all his life had disappeared. Such a tragic thing to happen to a child of that age, of any age.”

Kelly licked her lips trying to frame her next thought, “I read some of the theories by Dr. Daniel Jackson, I was wondering what you thought of them?”

Mendel sighed, “I have actually read all his work, and everything he wrote had proof to back it up,” he shrugged, “I may not believe in what he believes but I can’t fault his research nor his intelligence.”

“I have to go,” she told him, “Thank you for your help.”

“Kelly,” Mendel called, “Why this interest in the Jacksons?”

“Family,” Kelly answered cryptically before leaving.

Walking through the University grounds, Kelly’s mind was in a whirl. She had never really heard the full story of what had happened to her mother and Daniel’s father. She’d never even met Daniel and she’d judged him, damn she hated feeling guilty. The weekend was almost here, looks like she needed to make another trip to see her mother.



Kelly stood knocking on her mother’s door suddenly realising that calling ahead was usually the best idea.

“She’s not in,” a man said from the next door, “But she should be back soon.”

Kelly turned and saw the handsome, yet familiar young man standing there, “You would be Daniel.”

He shrugged, “And you’re Kelly. Do you want to wait for her? Or I could tell her…” he trailed off.

Kelly pursed her lips together in thought for a moment, “Do you want to take a walk?”

Surprise filled his eyes, “Give me a second,” he went inside, grabbed his jacket and keys before leaving and locking the door.

“After you,” he motioned her towards the lift.

They walked along the streets in silence finally Kelly turned to him, “I guess I’ve got you wondering why I asked you to walk?”

“A little,” Daniel replied, “You’ve made it pretty clear you didn’t want to meet me.”

Kelly grimaced, “It really had nothing to do with you as a person. I’m sure you’re a great guy.”

“Why then?” Daniel asked.

“I always thought Mom and Dad were really happy,” Kelly explained, “Then all of a sudden Mom’s filing for divorce and moving here…”

“Kelly,” Daniel cut her off, “I’m sorry your parents are divorced but mine died. I watched them die and was then rejected by my only living relative.”

Her eyes widened in confusion, “Why?”

Daniel gave a slightly bitter laugh, “My grandfather decided he couldn’t deal with a kid who was so traumatised he wouldn’t talk for three months.”

“I didn’t know that,” Kelly replied.

“Now you do,” Daniel sighed.

Kelly stared at him, “Daniel, I came here because I needed to talk to Mom about everything. I know I can be a bitch but I never meant to take it out on you. As for the divorce, Elizabeth keeps telling me I don’t know what happened so I have no right to be angry…”

“And yet no one will tell you what happened,” Daniel finished for her, “You’re the youngest and they want to protect you.”

Kelly raised a questioning eyebrow.

“I get it a lot,” he explained, “The people I work with are older than me, I’ve always worked with people older than me and they seem to think that I need protected when I don’t.”

“I take it you don’t know…”

Daniel laughed, “I’m still having trouble with the fact my mother’s alive and I suddenly have three younger sisters. I’m not probing into her marriage until I can deal with the fact she was married to someone other than my dad.”

“I was in a lecture a few days ago,” Kelly suddenly changed the subject, “My lecturer put up a picture of his friends and suddenly I was looking at Mom and your Dad. He told us what happened and in that moment I suddenly realised how much Mom had lost.”

“What’s the lecturer’s name?”

“Max Mendel,” Kelly saw the smile appear on Daniel’s face, “I take it you do remember him.”

“He studied with Mom,” Daniel explained, “He used to tease me and let me help with artefacts when I was a kid. When I started studying, he came to all my Graduations. I sort of lost touch with him after…”

“After you got yourself kicked out of academia?”

“Ow,” Daniel grimaced, “You’re well informed.”

“I did a little research,” she confessed, looking a little embarrassed, “I guess I was being a bit of a…well…bitch really. I wanted to find things that could make Mom no longer want you.”

“And now?” Daniel asked as they returned to the front of the building.

“I guess I could like you,” she smiled.

“How about some coffee while you wait for Mom to get home?” Daniel offered, “And you can fill me in on my sisters?”

“Sure,” Kelly grinned, “Except I don’t drink coffee.”

“And you want to be an Archaeologist?”



Claire knocked on Daniel’s door to see if he wanted to have dinner with her. She stared in shock as Kelly opened the door.

“Hi, Mom,” she smiled.

“What are you doing here?” Claire asked shocked.

“I came to see you,” Kelly replied, “And Daniel let me wait here and we talked and…he’s not so bad.”

“Oh, Kelly,” Claire hugged her baby girl, “I’m so glad to hear you say that.”

Looking over she saw Daniel standing; Claire moved them over to him.

“Just trying to train the next archaeologist in the family,” Daniel smiled, “Considering your dead, I’m a nut and Nick is…well…”

“Nick is what?” Claire asked sharply.

“Not well thought of,” Daniel finished slightly lame, knowing he couldn’t actually tell her where Nick was now.

“Nick?” Kelly asked curiously.

“Your grandfather,” Claire supplied, “The great Nick Ballard.”

“Wait,” Kelly cried, “Nicholas Ballard, as in the Ballard Skull.”

“That’s the idiot,” Claire replied, “I’ve been hoping to see him for a chat.”

“Ah,” Daniel stammered, “That might not be possible.”

“Why?”

“He’s away on a dig,” Daniel finished, hoping it didn’t sound as stupid as he thought.

“You’re telling me my grandfather is Nick Ballard?” Kelly yelled in excitement.

“Once you know him it’s not that great an honour,” Daniel replied, knowing he sounded bitter.

“No, it’s just we were studying some of his work not that long ago,” Kelly explained, “Wow, I get to boast.”

“I wouldn’t,” Daniel warned her, “Nick isn’t well thought of, like me.”

“I think I still might,” Kelly laughed, “Two famous archaeologists in my family. I think I can handle it.”

“Well, I was coming to invite you to dinner Daniel,” Claire said, “How about I take you both out.”

“Great,” Kelly smiled.

“I can’t,” Daniel sighed, “I have to get to the base.”

“It’s almost five o’clock,” Claire frowned.

Daniel shrugged, he had a mission today, “I know but meetings and so on. Look Jack’s barbecue is next week Elizabeth and Maria are coming, do you want to come too?” he asked Kelly.

“Sure,” Kelly smiled.

“We’ll see you then,” Claire told him kissing his cheek.

“Bye, Mom,” Daniel smiled as they left, “Bye, Kelly.”

“See you later, Daniel,” Kelly grinned.

Daniel smiled watching his mother and his youngest sister leave his apartment, for the first time in years he felt he had a family.

But one small thing was still bothering him.