Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

New Neighbour

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“I don’t know what you told the others but it isn’t going to wash with me,” Maria snapped, “I want to know here and now what the hell is going on?”

“Maria,” Jack started, “I know that you’re a little upset…”

“Upset?” Maria yelled, “Upset? No, I am way beyond upset. What I just saw was not normal; Kelly still has bruises on her neck, that woman threw Steven across the room with no effort at all and you lot aren’t telling me anything.”

“It’s classified,” Daniel told her.

“Its bullshit,” Maria retorted, “Daniel, Jack, Mom…” she paused as she saw an unfamiliar man standing, “And whoever the hell you are…”

“That’s my Dad,” Sam supplied.

“I don’t care,” Maria snapped, “I am going home, I am going to have a shower, get changed then I’ll come back. When I want some answers.”

Without another word, Maria turned on her heel and marched out of Jack’s house.

“She’s a little annoyed,” Jack murmured.

“No kidding,” Daniel sighed, “We have to think of something to tell her.”

“How about the truth,” Claire suggested.

“No,” Daniel shook his head, “We only told Elizabeth to get the article stopped.”

“I don’t think anything less than the truth is going to be accepted by her,” Sam put in.

They all sighed.

Daniel had managed to persuade Dr Jordan to keep what had happened secret, the old man’s affection for his former protégé meant he agreed. Steven was another matter entirely. Jack asked Steven to join them so they could explain then hit him with a zat blast. They moved the unconscious Steven back to the office and managed to persuade him that there’d been a gas leak and he had hallucinated it all.

Jack had then herded them all to the plane, making sure Maria was guarded by Teal’c and not able to talk to Steven before she left. They hadn’t said much through the entire journey. Claire sat with her youngest child, trying to soothe her while Jack, Daniel, Sam and Jacob worked on a strategy for how to track the Goulds.

Then Jack had brought them to his house, hoping to find a way out of explaining, barely able to get a word out before Maria’s tirade.

Jacob walked over to the oldest woman in the room, “You know no one has actually introduced us. I’m Jacob Carter.”

“Sam’s father,” Claire smiled, “Claire Jackson.”

“Danny’s mother,” Jacob grinned, turning to the members of SG1, “How hard was that?”

Jack rolled his eyes, “Get over it, Jacob.”

*********************************************

Maria slammed the door angrily.

“Maria,” Sara appeared, “Is your sister okay?”

“Yes,” Maria said, “She’s fine, more or less.”

“Good,” Sara said slowly, seeing the anger in Maria’s eyes, “Are you okay?”

“You know,” Maria turned to her, “I don’t think I am. The most insane thing happened and they’re trying to fob me off with it’s classified.”

“That’s the Air Force for you,” Sara shrugged.

“But what I saw…” Maria trailed off, “How did you know about the Air Force being part of this?”

“When I went to tell your mother she arrived with Jack,” Sara explained.

“You know Jack?”

“I was married to Jack,” Sara replied with a soft regretful sigh.

“And the Soap Opera continues,” Maria rolled her eyes, “I know I was ranting at you and I’m sorry but it’s just so frustrating.”

“I know,” Sara thought back to the time when she was confronted by two of her ex-husband and a clone of their son.

“I am going for a shower,” Maria announced, “Thanks for letting me vent.”

Sara smiled, “No problem.”



Maria closed her eyes letting the warm water roll over her. She was furious with everyone at the moment. She was also furious that she hadn’t had a chance to say goodbye to Steven, he was smart, good-looking and they seemed to click. When this was finished she’d think about going to see him again.

Once she felt refreshed, she pulled on a clean pair of jeans and t-shirt and a pair of trainers; she grabbed her work cell-phone, knowing she’d have to retrieve her other one from Kelly’s at some point.

“Messages?” she murmured, waiting for it to connect.

Brushing out her hair; Maria listened to her messages, mentally fixing out a list of things she needed to do, while walking downstairs to apologise to Sara again for ranting at her. A hand suddenly clamped over her mouth as someone wrapped an arm around her, trapping her arms by her side.

Maria struggled against the strength of her attacker, managing to bite deep into the hand, which was pulled away angrily.

“Sara,” Maria yelled, “Help!!!!!!!”

Sara came running towards them, seeing Maria struggling stopping as a blonde woman appeared to with a gun ready to fire.

“Run!!” Maria screamed as she tried to get away.

Sara turned and ran but as the gun fired, she went flying forward onto the floor where she lay unmoving.

“No,” Maria cried as she was dragged out of the house, her last view of Sara was of the still form collapsed on the ground.



Maria was bundled into the back of a van and the door slammed behind her.

“Maria?” a familiar voice called.

“Steven?” she looked over to see him sitting, one hand tied to the bar, “What the hell is going on?”

“I don’t know,” he told her.

“What do they want with us?” Maria reached out to steady herself as the van started.

“No idea,” Steven shrugged.

Maria sighed in frustration, “You’re just a font of information,” she closed her eyes, trying to control the fear welling up inside her.

“Are you okay?” he asked, concerned seeing the tears pooling in her eyes.

“They shot Sara,” Maria whispered before seeing his frown of confusion, “Not that Sarah, the woman I was renting from. I think she’s dead.”

Maria started to cry unable to hold it in anymore. Steven reached out with his free hand and pulled her over to him, “I’m sorry,” he whispered, rocking her as her tears silently slid along her cheeks.

*********************************************

Jack frowned as his cell phone rang, everyone who had the number was in the same house as him, who the hell could it be? Then he saw who was calling.

“Sara?” he asked worriedly.

“Jack,” her voice was quiet and filled with pain, “I need you…Maria taken…shot me…”

“You’ve been shot?” Jack was on his feet and running towards the car, “Where are you?”

“Home,” she murmured.

“Sara, hold on,” Jack cried, “I’ll be there soon, okay. Just fight for me, baby, don’t give up. I’ll be right there.”

Jack hung up and quickly dialled Janet, giving her the address and what he knew. He jumped every red light, narrowly missing three cars as he swung into her driveway. He was out of the jeep and ran into the house, finding her lying face down on the carpet, the phone lying beside her.

“Sara?” Jack fell to his knees beside her, “Sara?”

“Jack,” she mumbled.

He gently turned her over; pulling her into his arms, pressing his hand to the gunshot wound on her shoulder, “I called the doctor and she’s on her way.”

“I’m glad you’re here,” Sara whispered, as he held her close to him.

“Colonel?” Janet’s voice sounded.

“Here, Doc,” Jack called.

Janet appeared carrying her bag, kneeling down beside them giving Sara a smile.

“Hi, Sara,” she said as she gently checked her patient, “I’m Janet Fraiser, just relax and I’ll get you fixed up.”

“Who did this, Sara?” Jack demanded.

“Sir, this is not the time,” Janet scolded.

“Don’t know,” Sara whispered, “They took Maria.”

Jack’s eyes widened, he’d forgotten about Maria, “Sara, what did they look like? This is very important.”

“Man, dark hair,” Sara told him, her voice hazy, “Woman, blonde. He grabbed Maria, she shot me.”

Jack blanched, “I think I know who it was. You did good, baby. Just rest.”



“Oh no,” Daniel breathed as Jack told him what had just happened, “Jack, I just got a call from Dr Jordan. Steven is missing. His apartment was trashed.”

“Looks like we have two hostages,” Jack said, he was pacing near where Janet was still fussing over Sara.

“There’s something else,” Daniel told him, “An amulet that was part of the collection is also missing.”

“Significance?” Jack asked.

“It was dated as the same age as the Gate’s cover stone,” Daniel explained.

“Crap,” Jack sighed

“I think they’ve got the amulet and gone to Egypt,” Daniel explained, “I don’t know why they want Maria and Steven.”

“You’re sure they would have headed to Egypt?”

“Dr Jordan is sending me some photos of the amulet so I can see it myself but at that age…”

“Danny, I’m going to wait till Janet’s finished with Sara then I’m moving her to the base,” Jack told his friend, “I’ll see you there. And Daniel.”

“Yeah?”

“Break this to your mother very gently,” Jack reminded him.

Daniel sighed, “I’m not losing my sister, Jack.”

“I’ll see you soon,” Jack replied.

*********************************************

Maria couldn’t stop pacing the room they had been pushed into.

“Please calm down,” Steven asked.

“Sure, get me home and I’ll be calm,” she shot back at him.

They both jumped as the door opened and Adam walked in.

“Dad, what is going on?” Maria demanded.

“I am Osiris,” he told her, “Your father is no more.”

“What?” Maria stepped back from him, “Dad?” she pulled further away as his eyes glowed.

“Where is the amulet?” Osiris turned to Steven.

“I don’t know…” he trailed off as Osiris grabbed him by the throat lifting him.

“Stop it,” Maria cried, trying to get Steven free only for Osiris to throw her against the wall.

“Where is the amulet?” Osiris asked again.

“Egypt,” Steven managed to say, “I sent it to a friend there.”

Osiris dropped him, “Then we shall be heading to Egypt.”



“What’s the amulet?” Maria asked; they were now in the back of a cargo plane Osiris had commandeered.

“It’s part of the collection,” Steven murmured, not looking at her.

“What’s so special about it?”

“It sort of proves Daniel’s theories,” Steven kept his eyes down.

“And why is it not with the rest of the collection?” Maria glared at him.

“I…em…I…”

“You stole it?” Maria snapped, “Of all the idiotic, brain-dead things to do. Why?”

“Because I wanted to be the one to make the discovery,” Steven told her, “Do you have any idea what it’s like living in Daniel’s shadow? Knowing the only reason I have my job is because the ‘Golden Boy’ left?”

“How petty and small minded can you get?” Maria yelled, “Thank you so much. We’re going to die cause you have an inferiority complex.”

“It’s not…”

“Yes, it is,” Maria fumed.

“I’m really sorry,” Steven sighed, “If I could change this I would.”

“I know,” Maria dropped her head to rest on her knees dejectedly, “I wish this was over, whatever they’re going to do I wish they’d get on with it.”

Steven moved round to sit beside her, “We’ll get through this.”

*********************************************

“Mom,” Daniel said softly, “Are you okay?”

“Will they hurt her?” Claire demanded as she sat in Daniel’s office.

“I…I don’t know,” Daniel replied sadly, “We don’t know why they took her to begin with.”

Claire started to pace, “This is too much.”

“Mom, I promise you. I’m going to do whatever I have to do to get her back,” Daniel whispered, “I’ve lost too many people I love, I’m not losing Maria.”

“Claire,” Jack arrived to join them, “We have a few ideas for what’s going on.”

“How’s Sara?” Daniel asked.

“Janet’s got her fixed up and she’s resting in the infirmary,” Jack reported, “She’s going to be fine.”

“Good,” Daniel sighed, “Look at this,” he pulled up the pictures of the amulet he’d been sent, “Recognise it?”

Jack frowned, “It’s like the middle of the hand device.”

“Precisely,” Daniel said, “Sam and I think it might be a key.”

“A key to what?”

“That’s what we’re not sure about,” Daniel told him, “It could be an armoury or a ship.”

“What’s the General say?” Jack asked.

“We go to Egypt,” Daniel reported, “While Jacob, Sam and Teal’c get some Teltacs in place in case it is a ship.”

“I’m coming with you,” Claire said.

“Oh no,” Jack frowned, “Claire, you can’t.”

“Jack, this is my daughter,” Claire argued with him, “I am not just staying…”

“Mom, we need you to stay here,” Daniel told her, “I can’t put you in danger too. Please stay here.”

“If you don’t take me with you,” Claire told him, “I’ll find my own way.”

Daniel turned to his friend, waiting for what Jack was going to do.

“Claire, you do what I say when I say it,” Jack told her, “If I tell you to wait, you do that.”

“Of course,” Claire promised.



Hammond frowned as Jack told him about Claire going with them.

“George, this is my daughter,” Claire argued with him, “I won’t be left here wondering what’s happening.”

“Claire, this could get very dangerous,” Hammond reminded her, “I can’t allow a civilian…”

“Daniel is a civilian,” Claire retorted.

“And he’s been trained by Colonel O’Neill to handle situations like these,” Hammond shot back.

“I lived in Egypt for several years,” Claire told him, “And I’m sure I can still find people who will help me find my daughter. If I don’t go with them, then I go alone but I am going.”

Hammond turned to Jack, who shrugged having already lost the argument.

“Fine,” Hammond sighed, “Give her a zat and teach her how to use it, Colonel. And if anything happens to you, Claire…”

“Don’t worry,” Claire smiled at him, “I won’t come running to you.”

*********************************************

“Dad,” Sam asked as they stood waiting for the Stargate to dial, “What does Selmak know about Osiris and Isis?”

“Only that they’re pretty mean by themselves but together,” Jacob frowned, “To be honest, I don’t know why they’d take Steven and Maria.”

“For possible new hosts,” Teal’c suggested.

“That doesn’t actually track,” Sam said, “Why not just switch bodies and dump the other two? We know both Adam and Sarah are still the hosts, there has to be another reason.”

“Whatever it is I have no idea,” Jacob frowned.

The Gate burst open.

“You have a go,” Hammond told them.

Sam turned and nodded to him before all three walked through the Stargate. As they exited, Aldwyn greeted them.

“I have the Teltacs waiting,” he said as they reached him, “The Council say that we have to make sure neither Osiris nor Isis can leave Earth.”

“That may be easier said than done,” Jacob sighed, “Okay, Teal’c go with Aldwyn, Sammie, you and me will take the other one.”

“Oh goody,” Sam rolled her eyes behind her father’s back, making Teal’c raise an eyebrow at her.

“Let’s go,” Jacob ordered, “Stay together and remember to be cloaked when we enter the solar system.”

“They know, Dad,” Sam pushed his arm, “Let’s go.”



Claire sat beside Daniel on the flight as Jack made calls, trying to get a clearer location on the Goulds.
“Since you told me what you do, I haven’t really had a chance to talk to you about it,” Claire said, “Or about what you told me about your wife.”

“Mom,” Daniel sighed, “Please don’t, not just now.”

“Can I at least ask about her family,” Claire said, “You went to visit them not that long ago.”

Daniel smiled slightly, “Kasuf told me he wants to meet you as soon as possible. He is sort of…he always treated me…”

“Like you were his own son,” Claire smiled.

Daniel ducked his eyes, “I’ll never forget Dad but after so long…Kasuf was like a father to me. Skaara is my brother, I think you’ll love them both.”

“I’m sure I will,” Claire gently squeezed his hand.

“You would have liked her,” Daniel said softly after a few minutes silence, “Sha're, she was so sweet, so gentle but so smart. She made me laugh and she teased me mercilessly, she had a quick temper but I knew how to soften her displeasure.”

Claire laughed, “I’m sure.”

“I wish you could have met her, Mom,” Daniel whispered, “I think you would have got on so well.”

“I would have loved her, Daniel,” Claire hugged him, “Because you do.”

Daniel buried his face against his mother’s shoulder, “I still miss her, Mom, I miss her so much.”

“I know, baby,” Claire soothed, “I know.”



Jack looked over to where Daniel and Claire sat. He knew, from the expression on his best friend’s face, exactly what they were talking about. Jack started to dial the phone again, waiting for Hammond to answer; he wanted conformation that Carter and Teal’c would be in place by the time they got to where they were heading.

He leaned back and watched Daniel, since his mother and sisters had entered his life he seemed to have become happier but with Maria in the clutches of two Goulds, it was obviously stirring up bad memories.

“Yes, sir,” Jack said the moment Hammond answered, “Is everything arranged?”

“Major Carter contacted us a few minutes ago,” Hammond told him, “They’re waiting. How are Dr Jackson and his mother?”

“Coping,” Jack replied, “Sir…”

“Dr Fraiser just reported that your ex-wife is recovering well,” Hammond told him, “We’ll be keeping her here until this is over and you’ve returned. Kelly Walker is also still in the infirmary. Dr Fraiser is reluctant to release her at the moment as well.”

“Good,” Jack sighed.

“Take care, Jack,” Hammond told him.

“Don’t worry sir,” Jack grinned, “You still owe me money. I’m not letting you out of that one.”

Jack hung up, almost seeing Hammond rolling his eyes; now he had to turn his attention to the problem at hand.



Maria shivered as they were forced into the pyramid; she and her father had never seen eye to eye but whatever was making him do this scared her. For the first time in her life, Maria wanted her father to be standing there.

Steven had a nasty bruise covering the right side of his face from when he’d tried to stop Isis hurting the friend who had been holding the amulet for him.

“Why?” Steven demanded, finally finding his voice, “Why did you have to kill him? He wouldn’t have said anything.”

“Maybe not,” Isis replied, “But I enjoyed it.”

Isis walked over to Steven again and trailed a finger along his cheek, “My Lord, are we going to kill these two soon?”

“No,” Osiris turned and smiled viciously as Steven moved protectively in front of Maria, “I have plans for them. Both of them.”