Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

New Neighbour

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Maria knocked and waited, frowning as no answer came.

“Kelly?” she called impatiently, “It’s me. Come on open up.”

Finally the door opened a crack, “Maria?”

“No, it’s the Ghost Of Christmas Past,” she retorted, “Of course it’s me. Let me in.”

The door opened and Kelly instantly wrapped her arms tightly around her sister.

“Kelly, honey,” Maria looked confused, “Let’s go inside and you can tell me what happened.”

Kelly nodded and led Maria into her small apartment. Maria frowned at her baby sister’s idea of cleanliness but now wasn’t the time for that conversation. Finding a clear chair, Maria sat down.

“Okay, you said Dad was here?” she asked.

Kelly nodded, “He came to visit me, I think find out more about Daniel. We were meant to meet at the University for dinner but I was running late. When I got there, the only person in the office was Doctor Gardener; I was about to ask if she’d seen Dad when I saw her turn. Her eyes glowed.”

“Glowed?” Maria asked incredulously.

“I’m not making this up,” Kelly snapped at her.

“I didn’t say that,” Maria soothed, “But you have to admit, it’s kinda strange.”

“I know,” Kelly took in a shuddering breath, “I…I just kept trying to call Dad but he wouldn’t answer. Then I called Mom but her phone just kept ringing and then Elizabeth’s cell is switched off.”

“Kelly, the woman I’m renting from went to see Mom and leave her a note if need be,” Maria assured her, “Look, we’ll go to the University tomorrow and see what’s what. Okay?”

Kelly nodded softly, “Thank you, Maria.”

“No problem,” Maria hugged her, “Now, I’ll take the clean room.”

*********************************************

Daniel sat staring out of the window of the plane as they headed towards Chicago. He hadn’t meant to lose his temper when telling his mother and Elizabeth about the Stargate but Elizabeth’s prodding had made him just snap. Telling his mother about Sha’re had reopened the wound, though at least now he could let her meet Skaara and Kasuf. They’d been so pleased to find out that his mother was still alive and Kasuf ordered him to, at some point, bring her to Abydos so she could be welcomed into the family.

Jack frowned, watching his friend’s blank stare, not very surprised when Claire sat beside him.

“Give him some space, Claire,” Jack told his friend’s mother, “Sha’re’s still a raw subject.”

“What happened to her,” Claire stared at Jack, “It is just the most horrible thing…he’s in so much pain...”

“Claire,” Jack cut her off, “If you want to help him, don’t make him talk about her.”

“There’s so much I don’t know about my own son,” Claire frowned, “And so much he’ll never tell me.”

“Be thankful for that,” Jack told her, “Be very thankful.”



“Hi,” Sam sat beside Elizabeth, after she got off the phone with Teal’c, “Are you okay?”

“Worried, confused, stunned,” Elizabeth listed, “You know I was just tidying up my house and suddenly here’s stuff a friend who died suddenly had sent me. I looked through it and found this article which mentions my new found brother and his best friend in the most incredible circumstances.”

“It must have been quite a surprise,” Sam smiled softly.

“You’re not kidding” Elizabeth laughed, glancing over to where Daniel was staring out the window, “I shouldn’t have pushed him so hard,” Elizabeth sighed, “It’s my journalistic instincts, I just can’t let things go.”

“I think that’s more a family trait,” Sam laughed, “Wait till you’re in a real argument with your brother.”

“Now Kelly calling for help,” Elizabeth frowned, “She doesn’t do things like that so it has to be important. I only hope she’s okay.”

“She doesn’t do what?” Sam asked.

“Ask for help,” Elizabeth rolled her eyes, “Kelly is very independent. I guess all three of us are, Mom always made sure of that.”

“I think that’s also a family trait,” Sam smiled, “You can use the phone if you want to try and call Maria.”

“Thank you,” Elizabeth sighed.



“Hello?” Maria asked as she answered her cell phone when it started playing the Indiana Jones theme tune.

“Maria it’s me.”

“Lizzie, thank God,” Maria sighed, “Where are you?”

“On a plane heading to Chicago,” Elizabeth replied, “And don’t call me that.”

Maria smiled amused, “Kelly thinks she saw something really weird and Dad who was here to see her has seemingly disappeared.”

“What did she see?” Elizabeth asked.

“Supposedly one of the people she’s working with eyes glowed,” Maria replied, “I know it sounds crazy but she’s adamant she saw that. She’s a little freaked.”

“I’m coming with Mom, Daniel, Jack and Sam Carter,” Elizabeth told her, “We should be there soon.”

“Why the posse?” Maria asked confused.

“You don’t want to know,” Elizabeth told her, “Look, keep Kelly calm until we get there. Mom’s sleeping so I don’t want to wake her. Get some sleep yourself.”

“I will,” Maria promised, hanging up and sighing, the news that there was a crowd coming made her feel much better. She just wasn’t sure why.

*********************************************

“Welcome ,Jacob Carter,” Teal’c greeted him as he walked down the ramp.

“Teal’c, George,” Jacob nodded, “What’s going on?”

“We need a little Tok’ra assistance,” Teal’c explained, “We believe there may be a Goa’uld in Chicago.”

“Jake, we feel a Tok’ra presence would be helpful,” Hammond told him, “There’s a plane waiting to take you both to meet up with the rest of the team.”

“Sure,” Jacob shrugged, following Teal’c so he could change before they headed to catch the plane.

“What’s going on?” Jacob asked after they’d taken off.

“Kelly Walker called saying she saw one of the people she is working with eyes glow,” Teal’c explained, “O’Neill, Major Carter, Daniel Jackson along with his mother and Elizabeth Walker are already on their way.”

“Wait,” Jacob snapped, “Rewind. Did you say Daniel’s mother?”

“Indeed.”

“I thought his parents were dead,” Jacob frowned, trying to remember if this was right.

“As did he,” Teal’c replied, “Over a year ago a woman moved next door to him, she had amnesia and a few months ago we discovered that she was in fact Dr Claire Jackson.”

“And Kelly and Elizabeth Walker?” Jacob asked.

“Two of his three half-sisters,” Teal’c told him.

Jacob took in a deep sigh, “I’ve seen you guys several times over the past few months, why did no one tell me this?”

“I believed Major Carter had informed you,” Teal’c gave a slight shrug.

Jacob rolled his eyes, “Is there anything else you lot forgot to tell me?”

Teal’c gave a small frown as he thought, “Not that I know of.”

*********************************************

“Kelly, we are going to the University,” Maria told her, “I am not sitting here waiting for the others to arrive.”

“But…”

“Kelly. Move.”

With a sigh, Kelly left the apartment followed by Maria who had an amused smirk on her face, not noticing as her cell phone fell out of her bag.

Walking towards the campus in the sun-drenched streets, Maria smiled, “This is really nice here.”

“Yeah,” Kelly murmured in agreement.

“Which way are we going?” Maria asked, waiting for her sister to direct her.

“Mike’s Deli that way is good for breakfast,” Kelly said hopefully.

“We’ll go there for lunch,” Maria replied, “Move. Now.”



Kelly nervously opened the door to the office, breathing a sigh of relief to find Dr’s Jordan and Rayner sitting talking.

“Kelly,” Dr Jordan said as she came in, “You’re running a little late.”

“That would be my fault,” Maria interrupted, “I’m Maria Walker, Kelly’s sister.”

“David Jordan,” he introduced himself, “And this is Steven Rayner.”

Maria nodded politely at Jordan before turning and hitting Steven with her most winning smile, “Nice to meet you.”

“You too,” he replied, obviously dazzled by her.

Kelly managed to swallow her laugh. Despite Maria’s exceedingly sarcastic and outspoken nature, she could charm the birds out of the trees when she wanted to. She turned as the door opened behind her and stepped back slightly as Sarah Gardener entered the room.

“Since we’re now all here,” Jordan said, “Miss Walker, no offence but we are quite busy.”

“I understand,” Maria smiled, “Kelly, I’ll see you later.”

Maria turned and gave Steven one more smile before leaving.



Claire frowned as no one answered either phone she was trying.

“Well?” Daniel asked.

“Kelly’s not answering her phone and Maria’s not answering her cell,” Claire said worriedly.

“Doesn’t Kelly have a cell?” Sam asked.

“Not at the moment,” Elizabeth replied.

“Do we want to know why?” Jack asked.

Claire laughed, “Kelly can be a little careless at times. What do we do, we can’t get a hold of them.”

“Carter, you and Daniel go to the University,” Jack ordered, “I’ll go with Claire and Elizabeth to Kelly’s flat.”

Claire caught Daniel’s arm before he and Sam left, “Be careful.”

“Don’t worry,” he kissed her cheek, “Sam’s a great shot.”



“Nice digs,” Jack said as they entered Kelly’s building, “Where’s her flat?”

“Next floor up,” Elizabeth told him.

“You’re worried about this aren’t you?” Claire asked him, “About what Kelly saw.”

“Glowing eyes can only mean one thing,” Jack told them, “If the Gould did see her, and I’m guessing they didn’t otherwise she wouldn’t have had time to call everyone, she could be in trouble.”

Elizabeth shivered at the thought, following on, stopping as they saw a man standing at Kelly’s door.

“Adam,” Claire glared at him.

“Oh boy,” Jack muttered, Sam had filled him in on Adam’s involvement in Claire being thought dead all those years.

“Claire, Elizabeth,” Adam said, “Are you here to see Kelly.”

“You bastard,” Claire walked towards him, “How dare you keep me from my son.”

“Claire…”

“Since when did you start calling her that?” Elizabeth asked confused.

“Kelly said it’s her name,” Adam shrugged.

“But you already knew that,” Claire replied, “You could have told them who I really was at the hospital, you could have made sure my son had his mother but you didn’t.”

Elizabeth stared in horror at her father, “Why? Why would you do that?”

“Mel was your friend, Adam,” Claire whispered.

Adam suddenly laughed, “Friend? I hated him. He always got everything. He had his perfect career, his wife, the genius brat.”

“That ‘brat’ is my son,” Claire glared at him again, “If you ever come near us, you will regret it.”

Jack frowned throughout the whole conversation, his eyes drifted down to where Adam’s right hand was hidden.

“Claire, get back from him,” Jack ordered, pulling out his gun.

“What?” Elizabeth asked as Claire moved back.

“Who are you?” Jack demanded, stepping in front of the two women.

Adam’s eyes glowed as the Gould inside him laughed, bringing his hand up readying the hand device to fire.

“Run,” Jack snapped, pulling them away and out of the building.

*********************************************

Maria smiled as she returned back to where Kelly was working; sure her sister would be finished for lunch soon.

“Do you mind if I join you?” Steven asked, coming over to her.

“I thought you were extremely busy,” Maria said with an amused smile.

He shrugged, “So I’ll play hooky for a bit.”

Maria laughed, “Well, I could use a guide.”

“What have you been doing all morning?” Steven asked.

“Looking at the amazing buildings around the campus,” Maria replied.

“Why?” he asked her confused.

Maria shrugged, “I’m an architect. I like studying buildings, it gives me ideas.”

“Ah,” Steven shrugged.

“You look sceptical,” Maria laughed.

“I don’t really see it,” he confessed.

“And you call yourself an archaeologist,” Maria rolled her eyes, “These buildings have been standing for years, they are pieces of history. The design reflects the period when they were built.”

“Wow,” Steven murmured, “I guess I never saw it like that.”

“Why doesn’t that surprise me,” Maria said blandly.

Steven smiled, “Would you like to have lunch with me? Before you decide to completely write me off.”

“I was going to see if Kelly was free,” Maria said.

“She’s pretty busy,” Steven told her, “Or she was when I left.”

“In that case,” Maria smiled, “I would…”

“Maria!!” Daniel interrupted her.

They turned to see Daniel running towards them with Sam just behind, Daniel caught Maria in a hug as Steven stared in confusion.

“You’re okay,” Daniel breathed in relief before letting her go.

“And you thought I wasn’t why?” Maria asked.

“You didn’t answer your phone,” Daniel told her.

“My phone hasn’t rung at all,” Maria told him as she went to retrieve it, finding it wasn’t there, “Oops.”

Daniel frowned at her, “Mom is going insane with worry.”

“Mom?” Steven interrupted confused.

Daniel turned suddenly noticing Steven’s presence, “Hi, Steven.”

“I take it you two know each other then,” Maria looked at Sam for some sort of explanation who just shrugged.

“Where’s Kelly?” Daniel asked.

“With Dr Jordan and Sarah,” Steven answered, “Why?”

“Come on,” Daniel said to Sam catching Maria’s arm to make sure she came with them.

“Daniel,” Maria snapped at the grip, he had on her arm, “Hey, what is going on?”

“I’ll explain once we have Kelly,” Daniel promised.



Steven angrily followed on behind Daniel, the woman he’d brought with him and Maria. It was just so typical of Daniel to show up and ruin things for Steven with one single word.

As they reached the office, Daniel marched in without knocking.

“Daniel?” Jordan stared at him amazed.

“Hello, David,” Daniel nodded softly before turning to his youngest sister, “Kelly, you okay?”

“Yeah,” Kelly smiled at him.

Dr Jordan moved to see his ex-protégé, confused at his sudden appearance just as Sam walked in. Sam grabbed Daniel’s arm pointing at Sarah, “It’s her.”

Both she and Daniel pulled out their guns, aiming them at Sarah.

“Daniel?” Sarah asked innocently.

“Kelly, get away from her,” Sam ordered.

Still wary after what she’d seen the night before, Kelly started to where her brother and sister stood, crying out as Sarah grabbed her by the throat.

“You shall allow me to leave or she shall die,” Sarah’s eyes glowed as she tightened her grip on Kelly’s throat.

“Sarah?” Jordan asked confused.

“That’s not Sarah,” Daniel told him grimly, “Let her go.”

The Gould laughed, “Isis does not take orders from slaves.”

“Isis,” Daniel frowned.

Steven managed to slip out of the room unnoticed, moving round to the door just behind Sarah. It was usually locked but he had a key. Silently opening the door, he noticed Maria’s eyes widen seeing him behind Sarah.

Steven grabbed Sarah’s arm, allowing Kelly free and she ran to her sister’s arms.

“You dare?” Isis snapped; twisting and grabbing Steven by his shirt, easily tossing him at Daniel and Sam.

They went down in a tangle of limbs as Isis made her escape.



“Everyone okay?” Daniel asked as the three of them managed to get up.

Kelly nodded, sniffing slightly.

“Yeah,” Sam answered as she wrapped an arm around Kelly’s shoulders.

“I think so,” Steven murmured as Maria knelt beside him.

“You’re bleeding,” she said, grabbing a bundle of tissues from the table and pressing it to the cut on his forehead.

“That was a really brave thing you did,” Daniel told him, leaning down to help Steven up, “Stupid but brave.”

“This from the guy with the gun?” Steven shot at him, “Leading to the question what the hell is going on? Ow.”

“Sorry,” Maria said, trying to stop the bleeding, “He has a point, Daniel.”

His cell phone ringing meant Daniel didn’t have to answer straight away, “What’s up, Jack?”

“We’ve just found the Gould,” Jack told him.

“So did we,” Daniel replied.

“Adam Walker,” Jack said, “He’s there?”

“Sarah Gardener’s the Gould,” Daniel replied, “Said she was Isis.”

“Crap,” Jack muttered, “Two of them.”

“Apparently,” Daniel sighed, “If she’s Isis, I’m guessing he’s Osiris.”

“Let’s all meet up and compare notes,” Jack told him, “Hammond called to tell me Teal’c and Jacob are on their way.”

Daniel sighed, “We’ve also got a few more additions. Dr Jordan and Steven were here when Sarah showed her new identity.”

“We’ll see you at the hotel then,” Jack told him, “Meet somewhere that we haven’t been seen by them.”

“Sure,” Daniel said, hanging up, “Guys, we’re meeting the others somewhere else and we’ll give you an explanation then.”

Kelly nodded still shaking, as did Jordan; Maria however glanced at Steven before nodding.

“I’d better hear something that makes sense,” Maria told her brother, “Cause this, so far, is not making any.”

“I promise,” Daniel told her.

*********************************************

Jacob looked up as the door opened and Daniel, Sam, Maria, Kelly, Jordan and Steven all trooped in.

“Dad,” Sam smiled, going over and hugging her father.

“Hey, kiddo,” Jacob grinned, “I hear you guys have had an interesting few months that nobody thought to tell me about.”

“I thought the Colonel told you,” Sam frowned.

“I thought you told him,” Daniel said to Sam.

“Told who what?” Steven interrupted as Maria made him sit down.

“About my mother being alive,” Daniel told him, turning to Maria, “There’s a medical kit in the bathroom.”

Maria disappeared as Jordan took a seat beside Steven, Kelly started to pace as they waited for Jack and the others to arrive. When Maria returned, she cleaned the cut on Steven’s forehead; her eyes continually drifting to the door, waiting for someone to attack.



Jack finally arrived, he allowed Elizabeth and Claire in first Claire instantly catching her youngest in her arms.

“Kelly, honey,” Claire sighed, “Are you okay?”

Kelly nodded, still hugging her mother tightly.


“Daniel, Maria,” Claire looked at them, “You two?”

“We’re fine Mom,” Daniel assured her.

“Though wanting answers,” Maria said sharply as she finished fixing Steven’s wound.

“In a few minutes,” Jack told her, “First Daniel, Carter, Teal’c and Jacob I need to talk to you.”

“Hey,” Maria snapped.

“In a few minutes,” Claire scolded her daughter.

Jack nodded thanks to Claire before he went with his team and Jacob into the next room.



“Jack, you said Adam Walker is a Gould?” Daniel asked, starting to pace.

“Yeah,” Jack frowned, “Claire and Elizabeth also saw it.”

“Are they okay?” Daniel asked instantly.

Jack shrugged before realising Jacob was glaring at them all, “What?”

“Is there anything else you lot have yet to mention to me?” Jacob asked, “Just in case you all have thought the others have told me.”

Jack turned to the other three confused.

“No one mentioned to Jacob Carter that Daniel Jackson’s mother was alive,” Teal’c explained.

“Oh for crying out loud,” Jack sighed, “Get over it, Jacob. Look, we have two Goulds out there, along with four civilians who had no idea about them, now knowing about them. Any ideas?”

“I have none,” Daniel sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose, “We have to work out where they’re going to go.”

“They’ll head for the Stargate,” Sam said, “Hathor said she was drawn to it.”

“So we go back to Colorado,” Daniel shrugged, “We have to tell Dr Jordan and Steven something.”

“Leave it to me,” Jack grinned.