Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

New Neighbour

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Maria checked the address in her hand against the house she’d arrived at, “This is it.”

Since her promotion, she’d been living with her mother who was making her feel like she was a kid again, not to mention the apartment was too small. The spare room she was sleeping in did not give her enough room to work at night, so when her assistant had told her about a woman who was renting out a room, Maria had jumped at the chance.

Walking to the door, Maria hit the doorbell and waited, it was a really nice area with all the gardens neatly cut and all the flowerbeds were perfect.

The door opened, revealing a blonde woman who was looking slightly harassed.

“Hello?” the woman asked.

“Hi, I’m Maria Walker,” she introduced herself, “I work with Maggie.”

“I thought you were coming,” she checked her watch and sighed, “Now. Stupid clock is an hour slow. I’m sorry, come on in and ignore the mess. I’ve been cleaning.”

“Don’t worry about that, I’ve spent time in my sister’s flat,” Maria smiled, following her into the house, “I’m sure there are things growing in her sink.”

“I’m sorry, I’m Sara,” she laughed, leading them into the living room, “Maggie told me you just moved here recently.”

“Yeah,” Maria took the seat Sara offered, “I’ve been staying with my mother and, as much as I love her, she can drive me insane very quickly.”

Sara laughed, “Well, the room I’ve got is quite large with its own en-suite. I have a room that I converted into a computer room, which you can use if you need to.”

“That sounds great,” Maria smiled, “Anything else?”

“The kitchen is big enough so that both of us can cook at the same time,” Sara paused, “There is one thing. There is one room I’d prefer you stay away from.”

“Sure?”

“It was my son’s room,” Sara’s voice dropped to a whisper, “He died several years ago and I…

“No problem,” Maria told her, “When can I move in?”



Jack stared at Elizabeth who was staring angrily back at him.

“Armin Selig was killed in a hit and run accident,” Jack told her.

“Really?”

“What else do you want me to say?” Jack snapped.

“The truth,” Elizabeth retorted.

“I was talking to him,” Jack said, “He walked across the road. A car came round the corner and hit him. It drove away and was never caught.”

“Why did they hit him?”

Jack frowned, “You think I had something to do with this?”

“That article mentions you, it mentions Daniel,” Elizabeth yelled, “I have read it and if it’s true…”

“It’s not,” Jack replied.

“You haven’t even looked at it,” Elizabeth snapped again.

“He told me what he was writing about,” Jack replied, “Look Elizabeth, I know this guy was your friend and I know you must have got a shock reading that with both my name and Daniel’s in there but we work on Deep Space Radar Telemetry in the base.”

“I don’t believe you, Jack,” Elizabeth told him, “And I’m going to follow up on his article and find out the truth.”

Without saying another word, Elizabeth turned on her heel and left. Jack winced as she slammed the door before sighing; now they really had a problem.

*********************************************

Daniel walked down the ramp into the base and nodded a greeting to Hammond and Teal’c who were standing there.

“Welcome back, Dr Jackson,” Hammond greeted, “How was your week?”

“Fine,” Daniel replied shortly, smiling softly as Teal’c rested a hand on his shoulder.

“Dr Fraiser is waiting for you and then you’re free to leave,” Hammond told him.

Daniel nodded before heading to the infirmary. The past week on Abydos had been part wonderful, part heartbreaking. He loved both Kasuf and Skaara, enjoyed being with them and felt relaxed, immersing himself in the world he had been forced to leave.

But without Sha’re there…

He had slept in their home, in their bed and without her there it made him want to cry but he managed to make it through the ceremony and the few days either side.

After letting Janet poke and prod him for his medical, he headed to his office to catch up on emails and what had been happening over the time he was gone.

Checking his email, he was surprised to find one from Kelly, he’d given her his address in case she had any questions for him.

Hey Daniel, it read.

Well I don’t know if Mom’s told you but I’m working in Chicago with Dr David Jordan on artefacts from the Tomb of Osiris. It is fascinating and I thought you’d be interested in a few of the things we’re working on.

I’ve sent you pictures of the Osiris and Isis jars they have symbols on them nobody can translate.

Talk to you soon.

Kelly.


Intrigued, especially knowing who his sister was working with and hoping she never mentioned him to them; Daniel opened the attachment and blanched.

“Oh great,” he muttered, he really didn’t need this right now.

Picking up the phone, he waited for Hammond to answer, “Sir, we may have a problem.”



“I have a problem,” Jack announced as he entered Hammond’s office, where Daniel was already talking to the General, “Correction, we have a problem.”

“What’s wrong?” Hammond asked with a grimace.

“Remember Armin Selig?” Jack asked waited until they both nodded, “Well, he sent a copy of his article to a friend in case something happened to him. The friend appeared at my door, demanding what happened to him.”

“Oh no,” Daniel sighed.

“Wait,” Jack told them, “It gets better. The friend is none other than Elizabeth Walker, your sister Danny.”

“What did you tell her?” Hammond asked.

“That the story wasn’t true,” Jack replied, “And that I saw him killed in a hit and run. But she was pissed.”

“This is a problem,” Hammond sighed.

“I think she’s going to do her own research on it,” Jack shrugged, “But it’s likely she’ll challenge me with what she finds before she does anything else.”

“Why do you think that?” Daniel asked.

“Cause Danny, all during the conversation she reminded me an awful lot of you,” Jack smiled, “Guess you got it from your mother.”

“So, we wait and see?” Hammond asked.

“Best idea,” Jack replied.

“Then wait till we tell you why I’m here,” Daniel grimaced.

*********************************************

Sarah Gardener let the sun warm her face as she walked through the grounds of the university.

“Excuse me,” a woman interrupted Sarah’s musings, “Are you Dr Sarah Gardener?”

“Yes,” Sarah nodded, “Can I help you?”

“I’m Elizabeth Walker, a few years ago a friend of mine came and asked you a few questions,” Elizabeth said quickly, “He was a journalist called Armin Selig.”

“I remember him,” Sarah smiled, “It’s not a name you easily forget.”

“He was killed in a car accident not long after he talked to you,” Elizabeth explained, “And I want to get his final article published but some of his notes are hard to read. I was wondering if I could talk to you again.”

Sarah nodded, “Of course. Come on my office is nearby.”

“Thank you,” Elizabeth smiled, following on.



Kelly stretched her neck looking up and out the window of the library, amazed as she saw who was walking across the campus. Gathering up her books, she jogged over to join her brother.

“Daniel!” she grinned at him, “What are you doing here?”

Daniel smiled back fondly at Kelly; since she’d gotten over her resentment of him, she had become very sweet and Daniel adored her.

“Did you know I used to work here?” Daniel asked, “I was wondering if you had been to Mike’s yet. Then again it’s been a few years Mike’s might not exist anymore.”

“Mike’s Deli?” Kelly asked.

“Yeah.”

“It’s there,” she told him.

“Great,” Daniel told her, “I’ll buy you lunch, since I haven’t eaten since last night.”

Kelly fell into step with him as they walked, “So did you see the pictures?”

“Yeah,” Daniel said, leading her into the Deli that he used to spend hours in, “Wow, this place is twice the size it was when I left.”

They found an empty booth and sat down, Daniel grinned looking through the menu.

“What can I get you,” the waitress asked before grinning, “Well Dr J. You finally found you’re way back.”

“Nice to see you Tracy,” Daniel greeted the middle-aged woman, “You wouldn’t by any chance remember my usual?”

“Serving you it almost every day for three years,” Tracy laughed, “Of course I do. And what can I get you?” she asked Kelly.

“The Special Chicken Sandwich and mint tea,” Kelly ordered.

“It’ll be a few minutes,” she smiled before leaving.

“I was a regular here,” Daniel smiled before returning his attention to why he’d really come, “So what kind of work are you doing?”

“At the moment I’m just cataloguing,” Kelly told him, “But the symbols, when I saw them I was just fascinated. Dr Jordan and Dr Rayner are going crazy trying everything they can to translate them.”

“What do you think of them?” Daniel asked smiling at the waitress as their food arrived.

Kelly took a bite of her sandwich as she considered her answer, “Well, Dr Jordan is brilliant and very fair-minded. Dr Rayner seems slightly resentful of something but I don’t know what. Dr Gardener, she’s a little haughty but not too bad.”

Daniel smiled before grimacing, “You…you know I used to work with them?”

Kelly laughed, “That’s it.”

“That’s what?” Daniel asked confused.

“Every so often over the days I’ve been here there’s usually a discussion about ‘him’,” Kelly explained, “That’s obviously you, from what I know of your theories and subsequent dismissal from academia.”

“That’s a nice way to put it,” Daniel snorted.

“It would be enough to make them a little…”

“Pissed at me,” Daniel finished for her, “And Steven never really liked me anyway. I would avoid mentioning me to them.”

“Don’t worry, I intend never to say your name around them ever,” Kelly grinned.

“In that case, you’re buying your own lunch,” Daniel shot back.

The rest of the meal was generalities until they’d both finished eating; Daniel paid for the meal and checked his watch.

“I’ll walk you back to the campus then I’ve got to catch a flight,” Daniel told her.



“Thank you,” Elizabeth told Sarah once she’d finished, “That helps a…” she trailed off as her eyes caught two people walking across the campus, “What the hell is he doing here?”

Sarah turned and her eyes widened, “Daniel?”

Both women headed down to where Daniel and Kelly were walking both laughing. Daniel turned and stopped dead in his tracks.

“What are you doing here?” Elizabeth demanded angrily.

“I came to see Kelly,” Daniel replied calmly before turning, “Hi, Sarah.”

“You know both…” Sarah trailed off, “How do you…”

“This is Elizabeth and Kelly Walker as you know,” Daniel replied, “My sisters. Well, half-sisters.”

“What?” Sarah asked in astonishment, “How?”

“My mother isn’t dead,” Daniel replied, “It’s a really long story and not one for just now. I have a plane to catch.”

He turned to Kelly who smiled, “Thanks for lunch,” she grinned before hugging him.

Daniel smiled at her display of affection, something he never thought he’d ever have from his youngest sister before turning to the eldest, “What about you?”

“I’ll head back with you,” Elizabeth told him icily, “I have a few questions.”

Daniel managed not to grimace but nodded.

“Bye, Sarah,” Daniel said, quickly turning and walking away with Elizabeth before Sarah could demand answers on anything.

“Are you going to tell me?” Elizabeth asked as they made it to the car he’d rented.

“Tell you what?” Daniel asked.

Elizabeth entered the car and waited until Daniel started driving, “About the Stargate program.”

Daniel was exceedingly proud of himself for not giving any reaction of recognition, “The what?”

“Look, my friend was killed because of this article,” Elizabeth snapped, “And I’m going to find out what the hell is happening.”

Elizabeth turned to watch the scenery go by as they headed to the airport.



“General,” Daniel said as he paced, waiting for Elizabeth to buy a magazine, they were heading back to Colorado together, “I think we should explain to Elizabeth the truth.”

“Dr Jackson?” Hammond asked, placing all his concerns in those two words.

“She’s asking questions,” Daniel replied, “Following Armin Selig’s notes and pretty soon it’s going to end up with her getting hurt. I don’t want that.”

Daniel could hear Jack’s voice on the other end of the phone but wasn’t precisely sure what was being said.

“Colonel O’Neill has also suggested that we tell your mother and ask her to join us,” Hammond said.

“That’s a great idea,” Daniel replied, “We’ll come straight to the base.”

He hung up just as Elizabeth reappeared.

“Elizabeth,” he said, “Will you do me a favour?”

“Depends,” she replied sharply.

“I’ve got permission to show you what we’re doing in the base,” he told her, “So you can stop trying to get the article published.”

“Show me,” Elizabeth said, “But I’m making no promises.”

*********************************************

Maria stretched her neck, looking away from her computer screen, “Okay, I need a break.”

Walking downstairs, Maria found Sara making some tea.

“Mind if I join you?” Maria asked.

“Of course not,” Sara pulled down another cup, “I’m just about to watch a film.”

“Anything good?”

“Mindless rubbish,” Sara replied with a smile.


“In that case,” Maria smiled back, “Perfect.”

Maria dug out a box of chocolates for them and they settled down to watch the film.

“This is awful,” Sara said after a half hour, “It’s like a Soap Opera.”

“You want Soap Opera,” Maria laughed, “Try my family.”

Sara hit mute on the television, “Really?”

“Well, let’s see,” Maria grinned, “My Mom was involved in an accident almost thirty years ago which meant she lost her memory completely.”

“You’re kidding,” Sara leaned forward amazed, “Has she ever remembered who she really is.”

“Ah,” Maria held up her hand, “You’re getting ahead of the story.”

“I apologise,” Sara said with mock politeness, “Please continue.”

“Okay, she met my Dad and had us three,” Maria continued, “Dad had several affairs and after the last one Mom left him. She moved here and next door to a man who it turns out is her long lost son.”

“That’s incredible,” Sara’s eyes were wide, completely caught in the story.

“He suddenly gets a mother and three half sisters,” Maria laughed, “But no one knows why she was thought dead.”

Sara leaned back in her chair, “You’re right, Real Soap Opera material.”

Maria laughed, grabbing the phone as it rang, “Hello?”

“Maria?” a desperate voice asked.

“Kelly?” Maria recognised her sister’s voice, “What’s wrong?”

“I…I…I called Mom and Elizabeth but they weren’t there,” Kelly said.

“So, I’m your last choice?” Maria asked.

“Shut up and listen to me,” Kelly snapped.

“Sorry,” Maria apologised, “Automatic reflex. Kelly, what’s wrong?”

“Something strange is going on here,” Kelly explained, “Dad was here to visit me and I can’t find him now. I think I saw one of the other’s eyes glow.”

“Kelly, honey,” Maria soothed, “I’ll be on the first flight, okay?”

“Okay,” Kelly whispered.

“Stay at your apartment and I’ll be there as soon as possible,” Maria told her, “I’ll keep my cell phone on so you can call if you go somewhere else. I’ll try and get Mom and Elizabeth and tell them.”

“Thank you,” Kelly whispered before hanging up the phone.

“What’s wrong?” Sara asked as Maria jumped up.

“My sister…she’s scared…I have to get to her,” Maria stopped, “I have to call Mom.”

After booking a ticket on the first available flight, Maria quickly dialled her mother’s number, which rang out, Elizabeth’s, which did the same and then Daniel’s, “Damn.”

“No answer?” Sara asked.

“None,” Maria grimaced, “I don’t have time to try again.”

“I’ll do it,” Sara offered, “Do you want me to try and go to her apartment with the message.”

“Great idea,” Maria said, quickly she wrote down Claire’s address, “My brother Daniel lives next door to her. Hopefully one of them will be in.”

With that, Maria grabbed her coat and bag before jumping in her car and heading to the airport.



“Daniel, I’d really like to know why I’m here,” Claire said as they headed down into the bowels of Cheyenne Mountain.

“Mom, this is something that can only really be shown,” Daniel explained, glancing at Elizabeth.

“Okay,” Claire nodded, trusting her son.

As they exited the elevator, Daniel led them to the briefing room where Jack and Hammond were waiting for them; the blast screens were down obscuring the Stargate from sight.

“Dr Jackson, Miss Walker,” Hammond greeted them, “Please take a seat.”

Claire took the seat across from Jack as Elizabeth sat across from Daniel.

“Okay, there are two reasons you’re here,” Daniel started, “Mom, we want you to work on this and Elizabeth, I hope if I tell you everything you’ll realise why you can’t publish that article.”

“Then it’s true?” Elizabeth demanded.

“Let me explain,” Daniel took a deep breath and told them both about the Stargate and everything.

“Danny,” Claire said very softly, “It’s not that I don’t believe you…”

“Incoming traveller, incoming traveller,” the tech at the control’s called.

“That’s timing,” Jack murmured, hitting the button so that the Stargate was revealed just as the wormhole burst open.

“Oh my,” Claire breathed as Elizabeth stared in amazement.

“Welcome back, SG5,” the tech called, “Debriefing in one hour.”

“You don’t think people have a right to know about this?” Elizabeth yelled.

“I think most people couldn’t handle it,” Daniel replied calmly.

“So when there were two ships poised to destroy everyone,” Elizabeth’s eyes sparkled with anger, “You just left us in ignorance?”

“What good would panicking people do?” Daniel asked.

“What makes you the right person to judge?” Elizabeth snapped at him.

“Because I have had my life destroyed because of the Gould,” Daniel finally lost his temper, “You want to know what gives me the right? I have seen people I love hurt in more ways than one.”

“Danny,” Claire tried to placate him.

“My wife was taken by Apophis and had one of those...things put into her,” Daniel’s eyes never wavered from his sister, “She was put through hell by that thing and when I found her again, I delivered the child he forced on her. I had to give them both up that time. Next time I saw her, the Gould in her tried to kill me and I watched as my friend had to shoot her to save my life. Then I had to give up the child again, he may not be mine but he was hers’ and I had to let him go.”

Elizabeth was stunned speechless by his outburst.

“I lost her to the Gould,” Daniel’s voice became softer; “I know what I’m protecting people from.”

Both women had tears in their eyes by the time he finished.

Elizabeth stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Daniel, “I’m sorry,” she breathed.

When she stepped back, Claire held Daniel in her arms as Elizabeth turned to Hammond, “You have my word. I’ll kill the story.”

“Did anyone else know about it?” Jack asked.

“My friend Laura saw the disk but she had no idea what was on it,” Elizabeth replied, still slightly choked up.

“Good,” Jack nodded, “Come on, I’ll take you guys home.”



Sara frowned, this was definitely the right apartment but there was no answer.

“Damn,” Sara grimaced; Maria had sounded so worried about her sister.

Digging through her bag, she found some paper and a pen quickly scribbling a note when the elevator at the end of the hall opened up.

“I’ll make us all some coffee,” a woman said as she stepped out followed by a younger woman similar to Maria and two men, one who was very familiar.

“Jack?” Sara said in astonishment.

“Sara, what are you doing here?”

“I’m looking for Claire Jackson,” Sara replied.

“That’s me,” Claire said, “What can I do for you?”

“Your daughter, Maria is renting a room from me,” Sara explained quickly, “Earlier tonight your other daughter, Kelly called quite distressed.”

Claire looked horrified, “Do you know…”

“All I know is that Maria flew to Chicago,” Sara interrupted, “And I promised to contact you.”

“Thanks, Sara,” Jack said to her, “Danny, call Hammond and get you guys booked on a flight.”

“Is there anything I can do?” Sara asked.

“No, thank you,” Daniel told her, “We’ll make sure Maria calls.”

Jack took her arm and escorted her to the elevator, “You okay?”

Sara smiled, “I’m fine. Bye, Jack.”

“Bye,” he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead before letting her step in and the doors close.

“Daniel?” Jack called rejoining them.

“I’ve called Hammond,” Daniel reported, “He’s got a plane waiting for us; Sam’s going to meet us there. Jack, those jars…”

“I know, Daniel,” Jack turned to Claire and Elizabeth, “The only reason you two are coming is cause I’m not in the mood for a fight. If this is dangerous you stay back and do as I say. Got it?”

They nodded.

“Let’s go,” Daniel said following them as they headed back to the elevator, “Please don’t let this be Goulds,” he added silently, “I can’t lose them, I won’t.”