Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

New Neighbour

by LE McMurray
[Reviews - 6]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“Is there a reason you’re lurking outside my lab?” Sam asked as she found Daniel at the door, waiting for her.

“I need a favour,” he said, following her in.

“Sure, what do you need?” Sam asked, taking her seat.

“Ever since I discovered my Mom alive, one thought has sort of kept intruding…”

“Daniel,” Sam cut him off before he continued to ramble anymore; knowing if she didn’t, it’d probably be an hour before he hit his point, “What do you want?”

“I want you to check out why no one told me, or even Nick, that she was alive,” Daniel explained, “I didn’t want to ask Jack.”

“Cause I’m a little more subtle,” Sam laughed.

“And you can work a computer without constantly swearing at it,” Daniel smiled back.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Sam promised.

“Thanks,” Daniel squeezed her hand before leaving.

Taking a drink of her coffee, Sam set aside her work and started checking out her friends’ past.



“Doctor Jackson,” Hammond greeted Daniel when he knocked on the door, “Come in. What can I do for you?”

“I was hoping for some time off,” Daniel said.

Hammond looked at him curiously, Daniel never wanted time off, “Do you mind if I ask why?”

“My mother wants to go to New York to visit where my father died and his grave,” Daniel explained softly, “I want to go with her.”

“Granted of course,” Hammond told him instantly, “How are things with your mother?”

“Good,” Daniel smiled genuinely.

“And her daughters?”

Daniel shrugged, “They didn’t all hate me at first glance.”

Hammond laughed, “Well give Colonel O’Neill all the details of your time off and make sure you’re back for the barbecue. I’m looking forward to meeting the rest of your family.”

“Won’t that be interesting,” Daniel murmured as he left the office.

Hammond smiled; he had become very fond of Daniel Jackson over the past few years and seeing him finally able to truly smile was something he’d never thought would happen.

*********************************************

Daniel stood back, letting Claire walk slowly towards the exhibit that had killed her husband and took her life away from her. Reaching out to touch the wall, that she now clearly remembered falling towards them, she felt tears prick her eyes.

“Mom?” Daniel saw her shaking slightly.

“It’s okay, sweetie,” Claire took his hand as he touched her shoulder.

“Do you want to go?”

“Not yet,” she turned and smiled at him, “It’s beautiful, I remember imagining what this would look like erected properly.”

Daniel stared at it mutely.

“What?” Claire asked, seeing his discomfort.

“I hate it,” he told her before turning and marching out of the museum.

Claire frowned in confusion; this wasn’t like Daniel at all.

“Daniel?” she called, following him out to the steps.

Daniel had sat on the top step and was watching the people walk by.

“What’s wrong?” Claire asked, taking a seat beside him.

“It killed you,” Daniel whispered, “I can’t see it as anything but what took my parents from me.”

“Danny, I’m here now,” Claire reminded him.

“After twenty seven years,” his voice was bitter and angry, “You were gone for over twenty seven years, years that you have no idea what I felt. The places I was sent to, nightmares every night and the loneliness because you two were too busy with your work and it killed you.”

Claire looked as though she’d been slapped, “Daniel, you know how important our work…”

“Yeah, important,” Daniel snapped, “More important than the eight year old who needed his parents,” he shook his head angrily, “I need to be alone for a bit, I’ll see you back at the hotel.”

Without another word, Daniel was away down the street leaving her alone. Sighing, Claire stood up and slowly started walking the streets.



She found herself in the graveyard they were planning on visiting tomorrow and she walked through the headstones, finally coming to the one she had been dreading seeing.

Claire and Melburn Jackson
Loving Parents.


“Mel,” she whispered, dropping to her knees and gently reaching out to trace his name, “What did we do? I always thought we took care of our son but we left him alone.”

Claire closed her eyes, hearing the scream her son had uttered when the wall had started to fall towards them.

“I haven’t even heard where he went,” she whispered, “I’ve been so selfish, expecting him to forget everything now I’m back in his life. I’m sorry, Mel, I should have been more aware of his pain but I was so busy remembering my life.”

“Oh I miss you so much,” she sighed, “It’s been such a long time since you died but it feels like just a few minutes. I wish I could go back and change everything. I’d never want to give up my daughters but I want to change all the pain Daniel’s been through. Our little genius.”

Lapsing into silence, Claire let her tears fall.



Daniel paced the hotel room.

He loved his mother but the anger from his childhood, an anger he thought he’d lost was bubbling to the surface. It wasn’t fair. He wanted to remain ecstatic that she was alive; he wanted to be so happy but then this deep-seated resentment that he never even knew he had suddenly filled him.

He jumped as his phone started to ring.

“What?” he snapped.

“Daniel we need you at the base,” Jack told him.

“Why? I’m supposed to be off for a few days,” Daniel groaned.

“Daniel, it’s important,” Jack told him, “Apophis.”

That one word sent another surge of anger through him, “I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

He packed his things as fast as he could before going to see if Claire was in her room. Finding she wasn’t back, he left a message for her at reception before hailing a cab.

*********************************************

“What’s wrong, Mom?” Maria asked as she watched her mother.

Claire had been antsy and annoyed since she’d returned from New York. Maria had come to visit for a few days before the much-anticipated barbecue; she had some things to tell her mother as well but had decided to wait till she was in a better mood.

“Nothing,” Claire said as she moved a pile of magazines for the third time.

“Hey,” Maria cried in annoyance as Claire took the mug of tea she was drinking, “Mom!!!”

“I’m tidying up,” Claire told her.

“And I’m still drinking that,” Maria took the mug back, “What happened in New York?”

Claire sat down heavily, “I’m a bad mother.”

“No, you’re not,” Maria replied with a laugh.

“I left Danny alone for all these years,” Claire continued sadly, “We abandoned him when we stood under that stone slab. We didn’t even think about anything but getting our discovery ready to be seen by the world.”

“Daniel loves you,” Maria reminded her, “He’s happy you’re back in his life.”

“I let him down so badly, Maria,” Claire sighed, “I don’t even know what happened to him after the accident. He told me about his studies, that he’s happy where he works now and his friends but nothing about where he lived after the accident.”

“Mom, you must have talked about it,” Maria said.

“He was called back to work,” Claire frowned, “After I returned from the graveyard, he was gone.”

“So you haven’t discussed this with him?”

“Maria, he doesn’t want to talk to me,” Claire whispered sadly.

“Well, we’re still going to this barbecue,” Maria reminded her, “You can talk with him then.”

“You’re a good girl, Maria,” Claire smiled at her middle daughter.

“And I’m bored,” Maria announced, “I’m going for a run. See you in bit.”



Jack fell back against the infirmary bed as he waited for Janet to start his post mission medical. They’d been sent on a rescue mission, only Daniel had the knowledge to be able to get inside the ancient prison while they had been dodging Apophis Jaffa. He wanted to sleep for a week but first thing was first.

“Daniel,” he called to the man on the next bed, “You okay?”

Daniel smiled slightly, “The staff blast just grazed my shoulder, I’m fine.”

“And your wrist?”

Daniel glanced down at his swollen and bruised wrist clutched to his chest, “I won’t be playing hockey for a while.”

Jack laughed slightly, “Carter?”

“My hair was singed,” she called back, “Cheaper than a haircut.”

“T?”

“I am completely healthy, O’Neill,” Teal’c appeared beside Jack’s bed, making him jump.

“You really need to get a bell round your neck,” Jack grimaced at Teal’c as Sam and Daniel smiled.

“Well with the exception of Daniel’s wrist and of course Sam’s hair you are all perfectly healthy,” Janet joined them, “Sorry Colonel, you’re not getting out of the barbecue.”

“Are you kidding?” Jack cried, “All three of Daniel’s sisters and his mother. I have so much blackmail material.”

Janet smiled as Daniel groaned.

“Okay, you three can go and start your debriefing,” Janet told Jack, Sam and Teal’c, “Daniel, I’ll just wrap your wrist and put your arm in a sling.”

“Thanks, Janet,” he shrugged.

After the other three had left Janet gently fixed his wrist, “Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” Daniel sighed, “Just…”

“Just?”

“I left my mother in New York,” Daniel confessed, “I just left her a note at reception and didn’t wait to talk to her.”

“You think she’ll be angry with you?” Janet asked confused.

“No,” Daniel shrugged, “I don’t know. I’m kinda tired, Janet. Can we get this done so I can go home?”

Janet grinned, “I’m all done. Here are some painkillers, please take them,” she smiled at him, “Go do your briefing, then go home and I’ll see you at the barbecue.”

Daniel bounced off the bed, his right wrist resting in the sling; he slid the bottle of painkillers into the sling and headed up to join the rest of his team.

*********************************************

“Maria?”

Daniel was surprised to find her standing in the hall, stretching her legs out.

“What the hell happened to you?” she cried, seeing his arm in the sling.

“Oh,” Daniel gave a half smile, “An electrical power outlet exploded next to me. I dived and landed on my wrist.”

It was almost true, Daniel thought.

“So what are you doing here?” Daniel asked.

“I’ve got a few days off so I thought I’d spend some time with Mom,” Maria shrugged, “Elizabeth and Kelly will be here tomorrow for Jack’s ‘gathering’.”

“Is Mom in?” Daniel asked, not sure what answer he wanted to hear.

“Nah, she’s meeting with some of her friends from work,” Maria shrugged, “She should be back in a while.”

“Good,” Daniel shrugged, opening the door to his apartment, “Want something to drink?”

“How about we go for an ice-cream?” Maria suggested.

Daniel smiled, “Great idea.”



“You three all seem to be really close,” Daniel said as they walked through the streets eating their ice-cream.

Maria shrugged, taking another spoonful of her pralines and cream, “Ever since Elizabeth and I moved out, we all became friends. When we were all living in the one house, we fought constantly.”

Daniel laughed, eating his coffee ice-cream cone, “I can tell you’re close to Mom, what about your Dad?”

“Not really,” Maria chewed her lip for a few minutes, “I’m the disappointment.”

“How?” Daniel asked confused.

“Well, everybody thought I was going to be a boy,” Maria explained, “So when I wasn’t, Dad was extremely disappointed. He’d spent months looking forward to having a son and out I came.”

“What about Kelly?” Daniel asked, “Wasn’t he disappointed she wasn’t a boy?”

“No,” Maria rolled his eyes, “Kelly is Daddy’s baby girl.”

“Ow,” Daniel sympathised, “And Elizabeth is the eldest.”

“Precisely. She’s the ‘Golden Child’,” Maria shrugged, “Then there’s me. Middle child, constant disappointment.”

“You’re doing well at your job,” Daniel said, “Surely he must…”

“Daddy wanted me to be a doctor,” sarcasm flitted through her voice.

“Why?”

“When I was twelve, I did a first aid course,” Maria explained, “And I decided I wanted to be a doctor and help people. Dad, for the first time ever, said he was proud of me.”

“So why didn’t you become a doctor?” Daniel asked.

“Honestly, I don’t like blood or sick people,” Maria confessed to Daniel’s laughter, “That and I also didn’t want to work the hours junior doctors work.”

“I can understand that,” Daniel smiled.

“My best friend, Alice, her dad owns the company I work for and one day when we were still in school as I was waiting for her, I wandered through the office and watched them work,” Maria smiled, “I’ve always loved drawing and seeing them working, I wanted to design schools, playgrounds and hospitals. Alice’s dad let me do work experience there and then he sponsored my University Degree giving me a job when I left.”

“That’s wonderful,” Daniel said, “What did your father think about that?”

“Dad wasn’t too happy,” she sighed, “Gave me this whole lecture about sticking to my goals.”

Daniel rolled his eyes, “I think you did. You were twelve when you said you wanted to be a doctor.”

“Doesn’t matter to him,” Maria sighed, “What about you at twelve.”

“I always wanted to be an archaeologist and linguist,” Daniel shrugged.

“Great, a perfect older brother,” she teased.

“I’m not perfect,” Daniel whispered ,suddenly feeling drained of all energy.

Maria looked at him concerned, “Are you okay?”

“When Mom and I were in New York,” Daniel explained, “I got a little angry when we were in the museum.”

“About?”

“She was looking at the thing that killed my Dad,” Daniel’s voice faltered for a second, “And saying how amazing it was.”

Maria stared at him, “That’s why she was so irritated.”

“Irritated?”

“Well not irritated,” Maria told him, “More upset.”

“Because of me?” Daniel’s blue eyes were wide with worry.

“I think everything is finally catching up with her,” Maria soothed, “I mean in the past few weeks she’s discovered who she really is, she’s grieving a husband who died saving her life and she has a son who has thought her dead for the past twenty seven years and who she still sees as only eight years old.”

“I think it’s hitting us all,” Daniel shrugged, a thought suddenly coming to him, “How’s your Dad coping with this?”

Maria laughed, “Nobody has told him yet.”

“What?”

“Well, Mom hasn’t talked to him since the divorce,” Maria smiled, “Elizabeth doesn’t want to get in the middle of it and Kelly doesn’t really want to tell him.”

“What about you?” Daniel asked.

“I’m waiting for the perfect time to spring it on him,” Maria told him with a vicious grin, “Like his birthday, Christmas, Father’s Day?”

“You hate him that much?” Daniel stared at her.

“I’d rather not get into that,” Maria told him, “That’s a conversation for another time.”

“Sure,” Daniel yielded to her request.

“Mom was talking about getting into her old line of work,” Maria quickly changed the subject.

“She loved doing that,” Daniel smiled, “To dig and discover. She taught me that with patience comes the greatest rewards.”

“I guess so,” Maria replied, “Though I usually find patience brings nothing but more waiting.”

“This is sort of a depressing conversation we’ve stumbled into,” Daniel sighed.

Maria laughed, “Okay, Mom should be home soon so let’s get back.”

As they walked back they fell into silence both lost in their thoughts.

“Maria,” Daniel said as they reached the entrance to the building.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

“For what?”

“The talk, the ice-cream,” Daniel shrugged, “Not hating me.”

Maria smiled and squeezed his good hand, “I kinda like having a big brother.”

*********************************************

Cassie dumped the bags she had been carrying in the middle of the kitchen.

“I protest,” she told Jack, in a perfect imitation of Teal’c.

“You lost the bet,” Jack told her with a smile, “Pay your due.”

“Mom told me Daniel’s mother and new sisters are coming,” Cassie said as she helped him unpack the groceries, “Are they?”

Jack smiled, “Yep. So you know the rules.”

“I can’t mention Hanka, the Stargate, the Gould or anything to do with the SGC,” Cassie rolled her eyes at him; “I’m not stupid, Jack.”

“Did I say you were?” he grinned.

Cassie grinned back.

“Why all the smiles?” Sam asked as she arrived with Teal’c.

“I’m looking forward to meeting Daniel’s family,” Cassie said.

Sam nodded, “You’re not alone. Okay, what do you want us to do?”

Jack tossed her a lettuce, “Salad.”

Sam rolled her eyes, “Sure but I can’t promise it’ll be any good.”

“Teal’c, fire up the barbecue,” Jack told him, “Cassie and I are sorting out the food.”

“Of course, O’Neill,” Teal’c nodded and headed out into the garden.



Kelly glanced over at her sister, “Are you sure this is the place?”

Elizabeth shrugged, “Daniel’s instructions were very precise.”

“What do you think of him?” Kelly asked.

“I like him,” Elizabeth told her, “He’s a really nice guy. Kinda reserved, especially when it comes to talking about himself. What about you? Have you changed your mind about him?”

Kelly smiled, “He’s a nice guy. Did you know how bad it was for him after his Dad died and Mom lost her memory of him?”

“He hasn’t told me anything about that,” Elizabeth shrugged.

“Our grandfather wouldn’t take him in,” Kelly sighed, “He didn’t speak for about three months after it.”

“Okay,” Elizabeth said decisively, “Let’s see if anyone else is here.”

They headed up to the door and Elizabeth knocked. The door opened and they both looked up to the dark skinned man standing there.

“Yes?” he asked.

“I don’t know if we have the right house,” Elizabeth said, “We’re looking for Jack O’Neill?”

“He is in the garden,” the man told him, “You are Daniel Jackson’s sisters?”

Elizabeth smiled, “Yeah.”

He nodded to them, “Welcome, please come through.”

Kelly and Elizabeth exchanged confused glances but followed him through to where Jack was holding court at the barbecue, wearing an apron that said ‘Don’t Shoot The Chef’.

“Elizabeth,” Jack grinned when he saw her, “And you must be Kelly.”

“Hi,” Kelly nodded.

“Nice to see again, Jack,” Elizabeth smiled.

“You’ve already met T,” Jack nodded over at him, “Sam and Cassie are somewhere around here and Daniel just called. He’s coming with Claire and Maria.”

“Great,” Elizabeth said, “I was wondering where Maria was.”

“Grab a drink and relax before the hordes arrive,” Jack told them.

Kelly laughed as both she and Elizabeth took a seat, watching as people started to arrive.



Maria grimaced at the awkward silence in the car between her mother and brother. They’d both been very quiet since they’d met up. Finally they made it to Jack’s, a plume of smoke rising up from behind the house.

“Either the barbecue’s started,” Maria commented as she parked the car, “Or the house is on fire.”

“Nope,” Daniel told her, “It’s one of Jack’s barbecues, that’s perfectly normal. Come on.”

He led them round to the back of the house, where a good part of the SGC had squeezed into the garden.

“Daniel,” Sam called, seeing him and walking over to join them, “Finally.”

“Hey,” Daniel smiled, “Sam, you remember my mother, Claire and this is my sister Maria. This is Major Samantha Carter.”

“Hello again,” Claire smiled taking Sam’s hand.

“Major,” Maria greeted with amusement.

“It’s Sam,” she grimaced, shaking Maria’s hand too, “Kelly and Elizabeth are over here having their ears talked off by Cassie.”

Daniel laughed; leading Maria and his mother over to join them, greeting those that said hello to him.

“Daniel,” Cassie grinned, throwing herself to hug him.

“Hey, Cassie,” Daniel smiled at her enthusiasm, “I see you’ve already met Elizabeth and Kelly. This is Maria and my mother.”

Cassie smiled at Maria before turning to Claire, “It’s so nice to meet you.”

“And you,” Claire smiled at the teenager, “Daniel’s told me all about you.”

“And we were getting told all about you,” Elizabeth said slyly to Daniel, “Cassie has loads of stories.”

“How much am I going to have to pay you to keep quiet the rest of the night?” Daniel asked Cassie.

Cassie gave a smile, her nose crinkled in amusement, “You couldn’t afford it.”

“Cassie,” Janet called from close by, “Stop pestering them.”

Cassie rolled her eyes, “I’m going to go see Tea…T,” she stopped herself using his full name, seeing Daniel’s raised eyebrow in warning.

Claire smiled as she watched the teenager, “A wonderful girl.”

Daniel nodded, “Considering all she lost, she’s doing great.”

“Dr Jackson,” Hammond appeared suddenly before Daniel had to explain his last comment, “I hope you will introduce me to these ladies with you.”

“General George Hammond,” Daniel said, “This is my mother Dr Claire Jackson and her daughters Elizabeth, Maria and Kelly…” he paused, “Is it Hunter?”

Claire laughed.

“Walker,” Elizabeth answered, “Mom went back to Hunter after the divorce and Jackson after she found out her real name.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you all,” Hammond smiled at them, “Dr Jackson,” Hammond started speaking to Claire before he frowned, “This could get confusing.”

“Then call me Claire,” she smiled.

“Claire,” Hammond continued, “Your son mentioned you have been studying up on recent archaeological works.”

“I missed twenty seven years,” Claire reminded him, “I feel I should catch up.”

Daniel smiled, watching Hammond and his mother talk; Hammond was obviously trying to feel out what her interest in joining the SGC would be. Turning to see what Jack was doing he noticed a strange man wander through the garden.

“Who’s that?” he murmured.

“What?” Elizabeth turned, followed closely by her sisters.

“Oh hell,” Kelly muttered.

“What?” Daniel asked, “Do you know him?”

“That would be our father,” Maria told him, “That’s Adam Walker.”