Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

By Dawn's Early Light

by KaraB
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
***********************

WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE:

3 months later

"I can't even believe this." Jack sighed, "They're sending Tok'Ra and they're not saying why?"

Daniel spoke, "They said it was urgent but that they could not specify for fear of leaking information."

"Just great." As Jack ranted on, the Gate opened and two figures stepped out. Finally, Jack stopped when he saw that he recognized the two. The first was Martouf, whom Jack nodded toward. Upon seeing the second Tok'Ra, Jack's face lost it's irritated edge, "Hey Al! Long time no see! How are ya doin'?"

Many jaws in the SGC dropped. Colonel Jack O'Neill did NOT like the Tok'Ra at all, and to see him speaking to one as if he were an old buddy was unheard of.

Aldwin didn't appear terribly irritated by Colonel O'Neill's nickname. He merely stated, "I am well, Colonel."

While General Hammond led Martouf and the rest of SG-1 to the briefing room, Jack cornered Aldwin, "So how are you doing really? And who is your new snake?"

"After receiving the new symbiote I found myself very confused, but with the help of Martouf, Lantash and Jacob, I've accepted the way things are."

"But you still don't like it." Jack said.

"No. Colonel, I would very much like to tell you of these events, but there is an extremely urgent mission at the moment."

"Fine, we'll talk later. But I do expect to eventually get the whole story." Jack paused, "So which Goa'uld's butt do we get to kick this time?"

Aldwin gave a half-smile but remained silent as they walked to the briefing room.

Outside it, Aldwin stopped and turned to Colonel O'Neill, "You asked about my symbiote. He is just as stubborn as you are. I believe that he and you will get along wonderfully." Without waiting for a response Aldwin entered the room.

Before going inside himself, Jack muttered, "Just when you think you have the Tok'Ra pegged, they go and pull some sarcasm on you . . ."

***********************

Martouf started the briefing without hesitation. "A situation has arisen. Over the last month, we have tracked reports of a new Goa'uld who has mysteriously risen to power. We do not know the identity of this new Goa'uld. He has been employing what you term 'cloak and dagger' tactics upon other system lords. About a week ago he began attacking our bases and has since destroyed four of them. With each attack on the Tok'Ra, he has left one of these." Martouf produced four gold necklaces. "Each has the symbol of a world engraved upon it, including Abydos, and most recently Earth. We do not know the meaning of these."



Daniel's face had gone into it's studious mode. Jack looked over at him, knowing what the look meant, "What is it Daniel?"



"This feels . . . familiar." he studied the symbols on the necklaces for a moment then suddenly snapped his finger, muttering, "If I'm remembering correctly . . ." He then jumped up and ran from the room, deep in thought.



Aldwin raised an eyebrow in question at Jack, who shrugged, "Who knows?"



Moments later, Daniel rushed back in, a huge book tucked under his arm. He dropped it on the table and began to thumb through it. Everyone else sat in silence, waiting, knowing that Daniel was onto something.



"Here." Daniel slapped a page, "These are all worlds that were conquered by Ra." He looked up in alarm.



Jack shrugged again, "It's just four worlds Daniel, They probably have fifty other similarities."



Daniel shook his head, "These are Ra's most well-known victories."



At that point, someone quietly walked in and handed General Hammond a note. He turned to address the whole group, "We've just received a message from the Tok'Ra. They have more information on this new Goa'uld and they've requested that we send a team to help them. Colonel, how soon can you be ready?"



Jack jumped up, eager to be going somewhere, "We'll be ready in about ten." Hammond nodded, and he along with the rest of SG-1 exited.



Outside, Jack stopped Daniel, "You and I both know that there is no way Ra could have survived. Now Apophis, well, he just needs to learn to die. Besides, if Ra were alive we would've heard from him sooner. And he would have come after us first."



Daniel nodded and Aldwin approached the two of them, "I believe it is Ra."



"What?" Jack and Daniel both said at once.



"I have all of Jabez's memories and Jabez used to work with Sokar. On many occasions Sokar and Ra did battle. Aside from Apophis, Sokar was Ra's worst enemy. This new Goa'uld's tactics are familiar and it even feels familiar."



"There's got to be another explanation." Jack said, "Why didn't you mention this sooner?"



"I was instructed to say nothing of it." Aldwin gave a half-smile. "I do apologize."



"Why were you told that?"



"Ever since receiving my new symbiote, they have been extremely wary of my memories and my actions."



"So, basically they don't trust you . . ." Jack said.

Aldwin nodded, "That is essentially the case."

"Oh great, this just makes my day," Jack sighed, "Look, Al, Ra is dead. I sent the bomb up myself."

"Then perhaps this is someone who is coming in his name - to avenge his losses."

"That's gotta be it," Jack said, "And on top of that, the Tok'Ra don't trust the one Tok'Ra I do. Plus that one Tok'Ra has now messed up things so I can't make general Tok'Ra put downs . . ."

Daniel interrupted, "Jack, stop. We need to get ready to go, because I don't know about you, but I'd like to find out who this new Goa'uld really is . . ."

"Fine, Daniel, you go ahead. I wanna talk to Al a second." Daniel nodded and hurriedly walked away.

"What is it you wish to know, Colonel?" Aldwin asked calmly.

"First of all, how serious is this threat?"

Aldwin looked at him gravely, "Destroying four Tok'Ra bases in a week is no small feat. Many Tok'Ra have died. We should have come to you after the first of these attacks, which is what I told the council, but the Tok'Ra did not wish to be seen as weak. After the necklace with the symbol for Earth on it, we knew that we must."

"Great." Jack muttered.

"Colonel, there is something else." Jack looked at him sharply, "These attacks started on various system lords, weakening their defenses. Now the Tok'Ra are in chaos and . . ."

"We're likely to be next." finished Jack, "Just great. Whatever happened to the 'enemy of the week'?" Suddenly something struck Jack, "Hey if they don't trust you, then why did they send you here?"

Aldwin thought for a moment, then stated, "Colonel, please do not take offense, but most Tok'Ra do not consider interacting with the Tau'ri a desirable assignment."

"Oh." Jack said, "That's nice."

***********************

SG-1 and Aldwin stepped through the Gate to the current Tok'Ra home base and into a silent chaos. Many Tok'Ra were moving hurriedly through the corridors, obviously on their way to do something important. Martouf had remained behind at the SGC in order to help General Hammond.

"Come." Aldwin said, "Our War Room is this way."

When they arrived, Jack noted that several of the Tok'Ra bigwigs were there, obviously not happy with the situation. Silence met them as they entered.

"So," Jack started, "What's up?"

One of the Tok'Ra replied, directing the response to Aldwin rather than Jack, "A fifth base has been attacked. We have retrieved the necklace." He held it out and Daniel grabbed it.

"The Eye of Ra." Daniel's voice was steady, but his eyes went wide.

Daniel started to ask a question, but the same Tok'Ra interrupted, "Please wait in the hall for a moment." No explanation was offered.

"Ooooookay." Jack said, stepping into the hall, his team following. Aldwin remained behind.

"What have you discovered that you do not wish them to know?" Aldwin asked, with apparent disapproval.

"We received a message from the attacker." High Councilor Per'sus said, activating the message.


To the world which I have just attacked,

you are now under my rule.

If you resist, you will be killed.

No one escapes my wrath by their own invention.

If you wish to regain your freedom then there is one task you may complete.

Bring me the two Tau'ri named Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson.

Then, and only then, will you be left alone.



"Please tell me you are not considering doing so." Aldwin was clearly alarmed.

"We have suffered heavy losses and cannot continue to resist indefinitely. This is a possibility that might buy us the time we need. They are only two beings." A Tok'Ra responded.

Per'sus added, "We are not planning to turn them over at the moment. However, it may become necessary to do something to buy some time for both ourselves and the rest of the Tau'ri." He paused, "Is it not better that two die rather than one hundred?"

"General Hammond would never agree to sacrifice his people . . ."

"But neither he nor SG-1 are to know that which we have discussed. Besides, if it became necessary to do so, I'm sure the General would come to understand."



"It is you who do not understand." Aldwin said.



Another voice spoke up, "He's right. It would cost us our alliance." Jacob sighed, dismayed at the turn of the conversation.



"As I said, this is just a possibility to consider." Per'sus said, then adding, "Not one word of this conversation shall leave this room."



Aldwin nodded and left the War Room while Per'sus turned to contact the SGC.



***********************



Jack immediately quizzed him, "So what's going on, Al? What did they find?"



Per'sus spoke from behind, "We received a message from the attacker and I have contacted your General Hammond. Given the content of the message, he agreed that your presence on Earth might endanger the planet. It is also not possible for you to return to your duties, as many planets and bounty hunters will be looking for you to turn you over to Ra. Therefore, he agreed with my suggestion that you remain here for the time being."



"Sweet." Jack said, noticing Aldwin's agitation at Per'sus' statement. "You don't mind if we see that message ourselves do you?"



"You are welcome to do so. General Hammond also requested that you contact him after you view it."



The group of Tok'Ra then left, leaving them alone to view the message.



"Dangit Carter, they're being entirely too helpful." Jack said.



"Indeed O'Neill," Teal'C added, "It is most unusual for the Tok'Ra to be quite as open."



Sam interjected, "Well, it's also unusual for them to lose five Tok'Ra bases in a week."



"Al, care to comment?" asked Jack. "What's the big secret?"



Aldwin said, "I don't know what you mean."



He met Jack's gaze and Jack could read the 'It IS something but I can't talk about it here and now' look.



Jack shrugged, pretending nothing was wrong and said, "Okay, let's check out this message, contact Hammond and then maybe you can show us our rooms."



***********************

It did not take long for SG-1 to understand exactly why they were in danger, or rather why Jack and Daniel were in danger. General Hammond had confirmed what Per'sus said, and he felt that it was a good idea for Jack and Daniel to remain there. Unfortunately, Sam and Teal'C had to return. Both were needed to help Martouf work on a special project aimed at helping to defeat the Goa'uld. This left Jack and Daniel on the new Tok'Ra base, almost literally bored to tears.

Actually scratch that, I'M bored to tears. Daniel's busy studying Tok'Ra law and custom or something like that. Not to mention he's taken it upon himself to spend hours searching their library thought Jack.

After showing them to their rooms, Aldwin had quickly left. Jack knew there was something the Tok'Ra wasn't telling him and he was determined to find out exactly what it was. He jumped off his cot and just about ran into a returning Aldwin. "Because of your restless nature, I thought perhaps you might wish to accompany me on a scouting mission. The planet is supposedly uninhabited, therefore it should pose no threat for you to travel there."

"Okay. Sounds great to me, though I am sensing a 'but' here."

"Our mission is to insure that the planet is indeed uninhabited."

"And if it's not?" asked Jack.

"We are to report what we find."

"Okay, why me?"

"This needs to be done, but none of the Tok'Ra wish to leave their current activities, mostly urgent."

"So, basically, I get to help you do the work no one else wants to do?" Jack asked.

"That is correct."

"Well, it's better than nothing I suppose." Five minutes later, Jack found himself stepping out on a desert planet. "Wait a sec, this looks familiar. Let me guess, this is that planet that Sokar captured us on . . ."

Aldwin ignored Jack's comment, "I cannot tell you what was said in the meeting."

Jack turned, "So that's what this trip is about . . . Why bring me here if you still won't tell me?"

"They told me I could not tell you. They never forbid me to answer your questions."

Jack grinned, "I guess that's the advantage of taking things literally. You can sometimes get away with more." Jack thought a moment. "Now, I'm guessing that what was said had something to do with us and that message."

"Yes."

"Now either there was more to that message . . ." Jack trailed off, allowing Aldwin to respond.

"That is not the case."

"Good. That would be hard to guess. Or . . . the other possibility is that some of the Tok'Ra might want to actually go along with what Ra's asking . . . Am I getting warmer?"

Aldwin looked at him, confused, "I do not believe the temperature is rising, Colonel."

"It's an expression and if you want an explanation - ask Daniel. So, am I right? Do some of the Tok'Ra want to turn us over to him?"

"It is a possibility for the future, if things do not improve for us."

"Ya know, this day just keeps getting better and better . . . Might I also assume that you would get in very deep trouble for letting me know this if they found out?"

"They do not trust me very much already. So, yes, I would be in trouble if they were to find out."

"What about your snake? Will he tell them?"

Aldwin looked at Jack strangely, "I don't care what he thinks."

"Al, I'm getting the funny feeling that you don't know your snake too well. Have you even talked with the thing yet? Do you know its name? Favorite color? Favorite host?"

Aldwin appeared annoyed, "Yes, I know his name. However, I do not believe this is any of your concern."

"Well, I'm making it my concern. You're my friend, why I don't know, but you are. I make my friends my business. So, I'm kinda concerned about you . . ." Jack trailed off, "So what's going on?"

"I do not wish to discuss it."

"Now you're sounding more like the Tok'Ra we know and hate."

"I am a Tok'Ra."

"Oh, no, ya think? And does that mean you MUST act like a total jerk?"

"Colonel, please do not interfere . . ."

"Forget it. I am."

"Colonel," Aldwin started, his tone pleading.

"No. Either you tell me what's wrong or I'm gonna ask Marty and Jacob."

"They do not know that a problem exists."

"All the more reason for you to tell me then, since I already know there is one."

Aldwin glared at him a moment and Jack knew he'd won. Aldwin closed his eyes, regaining his composure. "After I received the new symbiote, it attempted to reach me, but I told it quite plainly that I did not wish to talk or know anything of it. It has remained silent since."

"That's really nice of you." Jack said. "But you do know that it's sorta part of you . . . that's what a Tok'Ra is . . . ya know? It's a part of who you are."

Aldwin did not like O'Neill's sarcasm. "It's a part I would rather forget."

"You know you can't." Jack stopped, not entirely sure what he should say next. Daniel was better with this kind of stuff . . . "You can't run from yourself. Nor can you run from your past. I tried that once - after my son died, almost ended up killing myself and missing out on a lot of great things. I don't know if you'll like your new symbiote. But I think you owe it to Jabez and yourself to talk to him and to get to know him a bit better."

"He obviously cares nothing about me - he has not even attempted to speak to me at all."

"Which is exactly what you asked him to do." reminded Jack.

Aldwin did not reply, nor did he meet Jack's gaze. Jack gave a sigh, "Fine, I'll drop the subject for now, but don't think I'm letting you off the hook here."

***********************

Over the next few days, Aldwin found himself thinking over Jack's words frequently. More attacks had been made but mostly on Goa'uld ships and outposts. To his dismay, the Tok'Ra seemed to give more thought to the idea of handing the Tauri over to Ra with each passing day. The discussions had become more heated, less hypothetical. Most of the Tok'Ra seemed to see it as the best way to buy time. Jacob was in opposition to it, as was Aldwin and a handful of others. However, Aldwin soon found that voicing his opinion did no good - no one listened. So, most of the time, he allowed the others to defend the position.

He spent a great deal of his time with the Tauri, especially Colonel O'Neill, who bored very easily. Dr. Jackson had practically lived in the Tok'Ra library since arriving, leaving only to eat, and even forgetting that on occasion. Jack's reaction to their food had been priceless . . .

"You actually eat this stuff? Looks like mushy tree bark and smells like a garbage can . . ."

"I do not believe it's quite that bad, Colonel."

Jack sighed, "Well, it sure isn't nearly as bad as the first time that I let Teal'C try to make an omelet. I forgot to mention that you don't cook the shell with it . . ."

Aldwin walked silently down the hall and nearly ran into Jacob.

"General Hammond, Teal'C and Sam arrived a few minutes ago."

"For what reason, Jacob?"

"I hinted at the discussions that have been going on lately and General Hammond felt it was worth the risk of staying on Earth to recall them. He wanted to personally insure that they were allowed to return."

"You do realize that the Council will not be happy with it. They will also suspect that I am the one to tell."

"They suspect you already have. Jack's having one of his famous talks with Per'sus now though. He's going to claim he overheard it. I have to say that I wouldn't want to be Per'sus about now, if only because I'd have to endure Jack's quips about Tok'Ra not believing in doors and secrets . . ."

Aldwin gave a half-smile, "I'm sure Per'sus is not pleased."

Jacob smiled, "He is not." Then his face turned serious, "This will heavily strain the alliance between the Tok'Ra and the Tauri, perhaps even destroy it eventually. What will happen is that both sides will be taking a "break" from each other for awhile. They are going to send you to stay with the Tauri for the time being, as the Tok'Ra liaison."

"Why me?"

"Of all the Tok'Ra, Jack trusts you the most. That will help to rekindle the alliance, or so the Tok'Ra hope."

"When do I leave?" Aldwin asked curiously.

"Immediately."

***********************

They arrived at the SGC without incident, though Aldwin could tell that the Tok'Ra were not pleased with losing what many of them viewed as their way out.

"Geez Jack," commented Daniel, "You sure have a way with people. I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a Tok'Ra livid before."

"And Per'sus was definitely mad." Sam added.

"Yeah, well, it's a gift." Jack said lightly. His anger became tangible in the words following . . . "Besides, I don't really appreciate being used as pawns to suit their needs. I'm sick of it - they do this all the honkin' time. Anyway, if I wanted to play peace offering it certainly wouldn't be for them . . ." He threw down some gear in obvious frustration. "Why can't they just swallow some of that arrogance and treat us like equals for cryin' out loud?"

Aldwin walked silently alongside SG-1, listening to Jack's tirade. He did not respond to it. He felt disappointed in many of his fellow Tok'Ra for suggesting what they had but he also knew that they viewed his position as the shameful one.

"Sir, they are trying to protect themselves." Before Jack could object, she continued, "I'm not saying I agree, but I understand it."

"Yeah, well, they should've talked to us Carter. Who knows? So what if they say they're more advanced? Stupid answers work for Thor and company - why not the Tok'Ra? And I don't care what you say - the Tok'Ra may not be the Goa'uld but they sure don't mind playing god when it suits their needs. Carter, I like your dad and all, but the Tok'Ra have big heads . . ."

Aldwin finally spoke, "Major Carter, I wish to assure you that neither Jacob nor Sel'mac played any part in the consideration of turning O'Neill and Dr. Jackson over to the Goa'uld."

She turned toward him, a slight smile on her face, and nodded. "Thanks."

Aldwin bowed his own head as they followed Hammond into the briefing room. "Alright SG-1, I have a mission for you. It's highly classified and not a word of it is to leave this room." Hammond eyed Aldwin distrustfully.

"It's alright General, he may be a Tok'Ra but Al isn't a total jerk." Jack commented, "Most of the time."

Hammond still didn't look happy but asked, "Are you sure Colonel?"

Jack nodded, "If we're going where I think we're going, I'm thinking he could be helpful. Am I right?"

"Okay. As you know, I've recalled all the other SG-teams for obvious reasons. However, I've decided it would be worth our while to do some investigating - first hand. I'm sending you to the last Tok'Ra world attacked. They abandoned their base there and will know nothing of our investigation." Hammond fixed his stern gaze on Aldwin again, "Anything you send to the Tok'Ra council will go through me first."

"I understand General." Aldwin said neutrally.

"Hopefully we'll be able to find some clue as to who this is . . ."

"And it ain't Ra. Ra is sooo totally dead." Jack said, pointing his finger to emphasize the statement.

No one said anything in response, merely leaving to prepare for the mission. Ten minutes later, all were assembled in the Gate Room.

***********************

Jack and Daniel stepped toward the Gate, prepared to leave on the mission, the rest of SG-1 and Aldwin behind them. Just then, the Gate activated, surprising them.

General Hammond entered the Gate Room.

"Sir, we're getting a Tok'Ra signal."

Hammond looked at Jack and Daniel and explained, "It must be the Tok'Ra representative they were sending to help revive the alliance. Open the iris."

The iris opened and a Tok'Ra fell through, followed by several Horus guards and a very familiar face which looked at the dead Tok'Ra's body, "This one was helpful." He then scanned the room, making a point of noticing Aldwin, as well as Jack and Daniel.

***********************

Because they had been expecting the Tok'Ra, Hammond had ordered only a minimal guard in the Gate Room, hoping to avoid damaging the already made fragile alliance any further. They had their weapons trained on Ra and his guards, but were outnumbered and did not fire. Everyone merely stared at each other in shock for a long moment.

Daniel finally stuttered, "You . . . you're . . ."

"Dead." Jack finished flatly, moving between Daniel and Ra. A look of pure shock tinged with fear was on Daniel's face, which Jack knew his own mirrored.

"What's going on? Who are you and what is your business here?" General Hammond demanded.

The being just stared at him as Teal'C answered the question, "I believe GeneralHammond that this is Ra."

Ra took a few slow, deliberate steps forward, speaking to Jack and Daniel, "Do you honestly believe that a god would die that easily?"

Aldwin felt his symbiote urge him to act, and he moved forward, kneeling next to the Tok'Ra Ra had brought through, checking his lifesigns - just in case. He felt that this Tok'Ra had been a friend of his symbiote. And for the first time, Aldwin felt sympathy for it, because he knew what loss felt like.

Aldwin was uncomfortable with his proximity to Ra and instinctively allowed his symbiote to take over.

Ra gestured at the dead Tok'Ra and remarked, "You think me weak? You think me merciful?"

Aldwin's symbiote spoke, "No, I do not expect mercy from you. You have made a grave mistake, making many enemies. First the other Goa'uld, then the Tok'Ra, and now the Tau'ri."

"I am stronger than all. Besides, regardless of my interference, the Tok'Ra resistance will fail." He added in disgust, "You are lesser than the Goa'uld. Sharing a body with an inferior entity is unfathomable."

"And that is exactly why we shall win, because we share control whereas you are nothing but a parasite. Besides being more ethical, sharing control allows more than one perspective, and uses more resources to make a choice. We give ourselves more options. That has guaranteed our survival thus far."

The symbiote returned control to Aldwin, who fought the urge to back away from Ra.

//He will not harm you. His intent is to attack only with words.//

Aldwin spoke, "Can you say the same about your host?"

Ra glared at Aldwin as if he were an insect to be crushed and Aldwin found himself vaguely wondering if he'd gone too far this time. He couldn't believe what had just happened - he'd taunted Ra himself and was still breathing, for the moment. What lingered on his mind was -- why was Ra here? He had not made any hostile moves, other than the unwanted intrusion. He had not attempted to kill Dr. Jackson or O'Neill. Nor had his guards trained their weapons on the Tauri. They stood silently at attention.

Ra took a step closer to Aldwin, designed to make him feel uncomfortable. "You dare insult a god?"

Jack who had recovered input, "FALSE god."

Ra glared at him, "I should punish all of you now for your insolence. However, that will come in time. You see the power I possess, perhaps if you surrender to me now, I shall be more merciful. However, if you do not I shall make an example of Earth to the entire galaxy. And I shall see both you and your friend, Dr. Jackson, as well as your insolent Tok'Ra kneeling at my feet. Surrender or bring bloodshed to your world. No being dishonors my name."

With that stated, Ra simply nodded to a guard to dial out and turned around, disappearing into the Gate to who only knew where . . .

***********************

It didn't take long for people to recover. General Hammond ordered a changing of all codes and an immediate recall of every SG team left in the field. Jack and Daniel had both disappeared moments after Ra left. Sam had no clue where they were. She'd seen the look on their faces. She knew that they were in shock and afraid. The sheer magnitude of their reaction concerned her greatly. She'd read the reports about the mission, but it was obvious that far more had occurred.

"MajorCarter, Perhaps we should attempt to locate DanielJackson and O'Neill." Teal'C said.

Sam shook her head, "I think this time we should let them come to us."

"It would not be wise to wait long to discuss this matter."

"True, but Teal'C, I think they need to discuss it first."

Teal'C inclined his head, acknowledging her words.

***********************

//I apologize for the interference// Aldwin's symbiote thought to him. //But it was necessary. Rhait was a friend.//

Rhait - so that was the name of the Tok'Ra that Ra had killed. Aldwin had been unable to recall that. //I am sorry for your loss.// Aldwin sighed. This was a relief. It had been very rough sharing a body with the symbiote without acknowledging it at all. He supposed it had been hard on his symbiote as well . . . //Why did you not try to speak with me before now?//

//You did not wish it. I know of your recent past. Forcing my personality on you unless absolutely essential would have done more harm than good. You needed time to become ready to accept me. Otherwise, you would have hated me more than you already did.//

Aldwin mentally acknowledged the truth behind those words, //Why didn't you report me? You could have declared that I was unfit to remain a host and requested another?//

//As your history affects you, so does mine.//

//I don't understand.// thought Aldwin.

//You will learn.//

***********************

Jack and Daniel sat staring at each other for a long time. They had quickly left the Gate Room to postpone the inevitable barrage of questions.

"How is it possible? We blew him up - didn't we?" Daniel finally asked.

"I thought so." Jack paused, they needed to get rid of this gloom and doom atmosphere, "Still the same old Ra though, big ego and all . . ."

"Why didn't he kill us? He has every reason to want to." Daniel asked, "Not that I'm complaining."

"Pride. He wants us to worship him as a god and he'll do everything possible to see that."

"What are we going to do? We can't count on help from the Tok'Ra, especially after such a strain been put on the alliance . . ."

"Yeah . . ." Jack trailed off thoughtfully.

"I'm a little surprised that they sent Aldwin back with us . ." Daniel started.

Jack grinned, "They want to fix the alliance and they figure that since we like Al, that could help 'fix' relations. Besides, they really don't want him around. I'm amazed his symbiote spoke to Ra like that . . . he and Aldwin haven't exactly been on speaking terms."

Daniel looked up in surprise, "Really? Well, Jack I've been a bit surprised by how much you trust him. It's not like you to trust a Tok'Ra . . ."

Jack shrugged, "Well, it's not that big a deal - the Tok'Ra don't seem to like him much."

"There are times I wonder if the Tok'Ra like anyone much." Daniel said.

"No kidding." Jack sighed.

"Colonel." a voice called.

Jack glanced up. "Have you got a deathwish or something? I mean were you looking for Ra to kick your butt out there?"

"Not particularly." Aldwin replied, stepping into the room. "My symbiote knew he was there only to threaten."

"So what's the deal with you and snakey?"

Aldwin glanced at Daniel, obviously questioning his inclusion in the discussion but evidently decided it was alright. "I am following your suggestion. We are becoming acquainted."

Jack nodded, but didn't question him further, much to Aldwin's relief, "So when is your report to the Tok'Ra council due? Cuz I'd rather postpone their knowledge of this incident as long as possible."

Aldwin nodded, "If they know that Ra has been able to penetrate your defenses they may very well withdraw all support."

"Not that we have much now . . . but still . . ." Daniel added.

Aldwin glanced at Jack, "Perhaps because of the shock of the situation combined with adjusting to my new symbiote caused me to forget to send it."

Jack grinned, "That's what I like about you Al. I can work with ya."

***********************

Jack exited the StarGate into the SGC and announced, "Honey, we're home!"

"Did you find anything?" General Hammond asked.

Jack tilted his head, "that depends, sir."

"On what?"

"Well, unless you consider finding nothing something then we found nothing."

General Hammond glared at Jack impatiently, "Colonel, we don't have time for this. We have a 'situation'."

"I'm assuming this 'situation' isn't a good thing?"

Daniel and Carter both gave him a stern glare for that remark.

"That would be correct Colonel." General Hammond said pointedly.

"What is it Sir?" asked Carter. "Has Ra attacked another world?"

"Not quite. Somehow the Tok'Ra High Council found out about our surprise guest. As you can imagine, this isn't very good on our already fragile alliance . . ."

"They want to do away with the alliance?" asked Daniel.

General Hammond turned to Aldwin, "I thought I made it clear that all reports to the Council were to be approved by me first."

"Why'd ya do it Al?" asked Jack, "I thought we agreed . ."

"I sent no such report. I haven't had the opportunity to prepare one, nor to send it. If you check your log, I am sure you will find that is the case."

"He's right Sir. He's been with us practically the entire time." Sam said, "He's had no opportunity to send anything."

"Well, they are extremely displeased that we kept this from them. And they are sending another representative," At that moment the StarGate flared and moments later two Tok'Ra stepped through.

"Aw crap." Jack muttered. "They'd have to send her."

***********************

"Welcome to the SGC." General Hammond said pleasantly.

Martouf inclined his head, acknowledging the greeting. Anise didn't bother with pleasantries. They were an unnecessary waste of time and energy. "Martouf will explain our position to you and SG-1. I will speak with Aldwin privately."

The two Tok'Ra exited the Gate Room.

"Why are you here?" Aldwin's symbiote asked.

Anise responded, "You are not doing your job. We had to learn from scouts of Ra's visit as well as SG-1's trip to our fallen base. Why have you not reported these matters?"

"I am doing my job as I see fit. I was told to protect Tok'Ra interests which exactly what I am doing."

"I do not see how." Anise responded.

"It is in our interest to continue our alliance with the Tau'ri. To do so, there must be some element of trust between us."

"Regardless of the fragility of the alliance, those matters should have been reported."

"In your opinion."

"In the Council's opinion as well."

"I question their judgement," Aldwin's symbiote said, "I know more of Earth and it's history than any other Tok'Ra. They will not tolerate dishonesty and distrust for long."

"Your expertise on Earth does not give you the right to question the council's decisions, Akatis." she paused, "Shall I tell the council that this may not happen again."

"An expression often used by the Tau'ri relates my feelings on this matter. You may tell the council to 'go to hell'."

***********************

//What are you doing????!!!// Aldwin exclaimed mentally, //The council is not going to appreciate that particular wisdom or lack thereof//. He could not believe what Akatis had just said.

//It had to be said. Do not fear. I will not betray the Tok'Ra. Earth is my specialty and they generally respect my opinion on such matters. I have spent much time studying the Tau'ri and I am an expert on the time when Ra ruled their world.//

//But our mission! What if the Council views this as betrayal? You know the penalty for that . . .// Aldwin's train of thought stopped.

Akatis sensed his nervousness, //My mission is to protect the Tok'Ra, hopefully with the council's approval. At times, I have been forced to act in spite of the council. I thought you agreed. You made the decision to postpone the report, not I.// Akatis paused, //You know that while I am well respected, I am also considered somewhat of an outsider.//

//And what if I do disagree? Will you force me to go along with your actions?//

//I will not. But you do recognize the truth in my words. Otherwise we would not be joined. I know about Jabez. I know he betrayed you. I will not. If you wish to return to the Council and leave the Tau'ri on their own, then we shall. It is your decision, but know this - your mission has always been to protect Tok'Ra interests. How does killing an alliance accomplish this?//

Aldwin considered. What Akatis argued made sense. However, Aldwin had never met a Tok'Ra who was loyal enough to be disloyal. It made him uncomfortable, but it felt right.

Besides, he had a feeling that General Hammond would allow a report through stating what Akatis had said, including the suggestion of where the council might wish to visit.

***********************

"This isn't exactly the best of times to be worrying about politics and keeping secrets." General Hammond said, "Perhaps we should renegotiate our alliance if nothing else . ."

"That is impossible. The Council has decided that it is in our best interests to back away, at least for a time." Martouf explained

"Sooooo," Jack said, "Does this mean we're breaking up?"

"While I do not agree with the council's decision, the answer is yes. The Tok'Ra and the Tau'ri are not enemies, but nor are we allies."

At that moment, Anise entered, obviously irritated. Aldwin followed.

Martouf spoke up, "Will he remain?"

"Given his behavior, I am certain that the council would not permit it. However he refuses to leave."

"His behavior?" Martouf looked puzzled.

Anise briefly explained their conversation. Lantash glanced at Aldwin's face, concerned, "This is unlike you. The council might see this as a betrayal."

Aldwin responded, "With all due respect to the Council and their views, I agree with Akatis on this matter. I wish to stay."

Lantash's response came quickly, "You better than any Tok'Ra should know the consequences . . ."

"And it is a risk I believe necessary to take."

Akatis added, "The council has seen my actions as betrayal a number of times. I only act in what I view as the best interests of the Tok'Ra. I will remain."

"Aldwin . . ." It was Martouf this time, his tone slightly pleading.

"Do not bother to argue," Anise interrupted, "They have both made their choice and will be held accountable accordingly," she turned to Aldwin, "After your recent experience, do you not object to such a course of action? If you willingly go along with this you will face the consequences and you know very well what that entails . . ."

"Do not attempt to intimidate me." Aldwin stated.

"I am merely stating fact."

Jack stood up, "Whoa, wait a second. Lemme get this straight . . ."

"Remain silent. This is not your concern, Colonel O'Neill," Anise objected.

Jack was taken aback, "Excuse me? You come here to break our alliance because you don't like us, threaten the one of you that has something resembling good sense, on OUR base, and tell me it's none of my business? And for that matter, all this came about because your good little Tok'Ra council decided that they wanted to give us to you know who?"

Anise glared at him, not responding to Jack's rant. "It is time for us to leave." She stood staring at Jack

"Hey. Don't stare on my account."

Without a word she moved toward the door, Martouf following with an apologetic look on his face, "I am sorry."

Anise paused at the door longe enough to speak once more to Aldwin, "If you do not come at this moment, do not return at all. If you come to Ameset you will be taken into custody." Her tone held immense disapproval and distaste for his actions.

After they were gone, Jack remarked, "I think I like the Tok'Ra a whole lot less now. And they've moved up on my list of 'Most Arrogant Beings around'." Turning to Akatis/Aldwin he asked, "Did you really tell the council to . . ."

Akatis interrupted before he finished, "Indeed I did."

"Wow. Even I've never had the guts to do that. And believe me, I've wanted to more than once!"

"Excuse me General?" an aide entered the room, "You have a phone call . . . from the President, sir." The aide then quickly slipped back out of the room.

"I'll be right back." Hammond said, excusing himself, "Then we'll sort this mess out."

About ten minutes later, General Hammond returned.

"What did the President want?" asked Daniel.

General Hammond glanced at Jack, as if anticipating a sarcastic comment, which surprisingly didn't come, "The President would like to meet with us about the Tok'Ra alliance situation. Unfortunately, we'll have to go to Washington. He has some important meetings and won't be able to leave the city for the time being. Our plane leaves in one hour from Fort Carson."

"We're all going sir?" Sam asked, glancing at Aldwin.

"That's right Major. We're all going."

Daniel said, "I'm not sure it would be a good idea for him to go wearing that. It will attract attention."

"Ya think?" quipped Jack.

"Get him a uniform and get ready to leave."

Aldwin looked puzzled, "What is wrong with my attire?"

***********************

Thirty minutes later Jack, Daniel, Sam, and Aldwin were driving away from the SGC toward the base. General Hammond and Teal'C had some last minute things to take care of and would follow shortly. Sam and Daniel climbed into the backseat of Jack's car while Jack got into the driver's seat, and Aldwin into the passenger side, sitting passively.

"Buckle up." Jack told the Tok'Ra.

Aldwin looked at him blankly.

Jack stopped, realizing that Aldwin had no clue. Rolling his eyes, he pointed to the seatbelt, "This form of transportation is called a 'car'. That is called a seatbelt. You see that buckle on the end? You take it and insert it into this thing," Jack pointed down at the buckle. "It's to protect us in case I crash or something. Geez, you Tok'Ra must not get out much."

Daniel and Sam were both trying to hide their grins.

"Hey Daniel," Jack said, "Didn't you hear me? Buckle up - please don't tell me I need to teach you too!"

Daniel rolled his eyes at Jack but buckled up as well.

Aldwin felt odd not wearing his normal Tok'Ra outfit, and he definitely felt out of place. He couldn't remember of any Tok'Ra who had ventured outside the SGC, with the exception of Jacob, of course.

Jack started the car and pulled onto the road. A few minutes later, Aldwin very nearly jumped as he accidently hit a button.

"Congratulations." Jack said, "You've just discovered power windows."

Aldwin raised an eyebrow and wordlessly moved to roll the window back up. However, instead, it rolled all the way down.

"And they go down, and up and down and up and down," Jack said.

"Jack, don't torment him."

Suddenly all the windows rolled down, "Did I forget to mention that I have the controls for all the windows?" Jack asked innocently.

"Indeed." was all Aldwin said as the windows rolled up again.

A minute later, Jack pulled to a stop at a red-light. Aldwin was now ignoring Jack's playing with the windows, which was actually starting to annoy Daniel and Sam. Aldwin glanced over passively as another car pulled up beside them which looked nothing like their own. The car was silver with no roof and the letters BMW on it and was driven by a beautiful female driver. The driver looked over at Aldwin with a smile and winked.

"Hey cutie, what say we ditch your friends and you come with me?"

Aldwin wasn't sure what to make of this suggestion, she certainly was a beautiful woman. And she seemed to be headed in the same direction as they were.

Daniel peered out the window to see what Aldwin was staring wide eyed at and grinned patting Aldwin on the shoulder, as their vehicle began to move again. "Well, congratulations Aldwin, you've just been hit on."

"I do not understand."

Sam explained, "To be hit on means that someone thinks you're good looking and flirts with you."

Aldwin nodded solemnly, "I see."

"This is gonna be one interesting trip," remarked Jack.

***********************

A short time, and many explanations later, they arrived at the turn on the road to the Base. A man stood off to the side of the road, in ragged clothes, holding a sign.

"What is he attempting to do?" Aldwin asked curious.

"He's homeless." Daniel started to explain but Aldwin cut him off.

"Why? Does your government not take care of all its people?"

"Why do I suddenly have the feeling that I'm babysitting a really smart two-year old?" moaned Jack. "Guess what campers? We're here."

***********************

When they arrived at the base, they found the plane prepped and ready to go.

"Nice. Our own private plane." Jack remarked. "Sweet. Wonder if we get peanuts too?" He flopped back into one of the airplane seats.

Aldwin sat down slowly on one of the seats and Jack continued to babble on. His face had remained stoic throughout the whole trip there, but his mind was reeling. Upon arriving at this base, it had suddenly hit him exactly what his 'exile' to Earth really meant. He couldn't go back - not ever, or until he proved that his choice was the right action. If he went back he could only doom himself.

//Do not fear. I have been through this many times.// Akatis tried to reassure him.

//Don't you fear that one day you may be proven wrong?//

//You cannot dwell on that. Although, I have been proven wrong before.//

//But what if the council . . .// Aldwin started to object.

//Forget the council. The council is a group of fallible beings and therefore it would be incorrect to base my decisions solely on what they say - especially when they are wrong.// Akatis thought. Had most other beings said something like that it would have come across as arrogant, but it did not.

//But what if we cannot prove our position? We will not be able to return to the Tok'Ra.//

//Working for the council is not the only thing in the universe, Aldwin. There are many ways to fight the Goa'uld.// Akatis could sense Aldwin's shock at this suggestion. //We Tok'Ra create limits for ourselves, the Tau'ri do not - remember that.//

"Aldwin, we're ready to go - you need to get a seat and buckle up . . ." Daniel interrupted his thoughts.

Aldwin nodded, then commented, "You must not have very much confidence in your craftsmanship to place so many security devices and harnesses in your modes of transportation. I also do not understand why you complicate your lives with so many different forms . . ."

"Number one, we can't quite seem to talk you or the Tollan into sharing your nice little technology with us so that we can have nice ships," Jack started sarcastically, ". . . and number two . . . well, I don't have a two right now. I'll get back to ya on that."

"So why exactly did you choose to stay on Earth?" Daniel asked.

"I believed it to be the appropriate action." Aldwin replied.

"You said that, but Martouf and my father I'm sure would agree with your motives, and yet they felt no need to take such a stand." Sam said, openly curious.

Akatis spoke, startling everyone, "I am a, I suppose the best word would be scholar of ancient Earth history, including the time during which Ra ruled your world."

"That's nice, but could you keep your Goa'uld sounding voice to yourself. The crew of the plane isn't exactly used to talking snakes and dealing with that is something we really don't need right now."

"I apologize on behalf of Akatis, Colonel O'Neill." Aldwin said.

***********************

"Colonel O'Neill, a word please," General Hammond said.

Jack left and Daniel came to sit next to Aldwin, a thousand questions in his eyes.

"You've visited Earth before? When? And what do you know about Ra?"

Aldwin looked apologetic, "I know nothing of them and Akatis must not speak." Daniel looked confused and Aldwin continued. "We are not truly blended yet, Dr. Jackson. Past experience . . ." Aldwin trailed off.

Daniel nodded in understanding, and everyone on the plane lapsed into silence.

***********************

The metal detector sounded yet again, as Aldwin stepped through it yet again . . .

"You need to be sure you've removed everything metal . . ." the guard droned, obviously irritated at having to repeat this yet again . . . What - was this guy from another planet or something?

Jack sighed, rolling his eyes at the 'trouble' Aldwin was causing. General Hammond turned and showed a paper to the guard, who went wide-eyed and immediately waved Aldwin through. Aldwin was still studying everything. The look on his face was stoic but his eyes betrayed curiousity and suspicion.

Sam read the look and answered the unasked question, "That was a metal detector. We use them to insure that no weapons are brought into the White House."

"But not all weapons contain metal . . ."

"On Earth, most do." Sam grinned.

"There is one thing that still puzzles me, Major." Aldwin stated, "You call this the 'white house,' however, on the way here, I observed many other houses of that very same color. Why is this so?"

***********************

"So what exactly have we got?" the President asked in frustration.

"Mr. President," Jack said, "What we have is an angry, revengeful, Goa'uld threatening to head our way and royally kick our butts to oblivion."

"We aren't prepared for something like this, gentlemen. I need a solution. We are totally vulnerable - we have no defense at all. And now, you tell me that we've also lost our alliance with the Tok'Ra. People I need answers and you can start with the reason the Tok'Ra pulled out and left him here . . ."

"I am here of my own accord." Akatis stated.

The President said nothing a moment, doing a double take. It was one thing to know he was an alien. It was another to witness his alienness.

"And why exactly would you choose to do so, leaving your own kind to help the poor human race?"

"I left because I felt their reasoning was incorrect."

"Why don't we try and contact the Tollan?" asked Sam

"That would be a waste of your time. They are allies of the Tok'Ra and would support them over the Tau'ri." Akatis said.

"Of course." Jack smarted sarcastically.

Daniel, who had been sitting quietly throughout the meeting, spoke, "I have an idea."

All eyes turned to him. And the President prompted him, "Go ahead son."

"Well, here's what I was thinking . . ."

***********************

48 hours later

Back at the SGC

General Hammond stepped into the corridor outside his office - his expression livid. He couldn't believe this . . .

He strode down the hallway and nearly ran into SG-1 and Aldwin as they rounded the corner.

Shoving some paper into Aldwin's face, he asked, "What is this? We have a record of you sending our plans for defense to the Tok'Ra. We are no longer allies of theirs and this compromises the entire venture. And I will not allow that just for the sake of your getting back into the good graces of the Tok'Ra."

Everyone within sight or earshot of the conversation stopped, watching General Hammond fuss at the Tok'Ra. Aldwin stood passively, not admitting, nor denying the action.

"General Hammond, what would you have me do?"

"I'm going to contact the Tok'Ra. Your presence can no longer be tolerated if this is going to happen . . ."

Aldwin looked hurt, "General Hammond, I apologize if I have caused any problems . . ."

"Sir," Jack started.

"No Jack." Hammond responded.

***********************

"That's just not acceptable." General Hammond said definitively.

"He did not wish to return with us and we cannot risk having him here any more than you . . . he is apparently a traitor to both our worlds. Besides we are no longer allies and have no desire to do you any favors." Anise said harshly.

Aldwin spoke up, "I tire of Tok'Ra arrogance. That will be our downfall."

"And I tire of your endorsement of Tau'ri incompetence." Anise said, cutting the connection on her end.

Hammond turned to finish speaking to Aldwin, "I'm sorry, but I can't afford to allow you to stay here. Where would you like to be transported to?"

Aldwin named the planet and Hammond nodded, noting with annoyance that he had left his end of the transmission open. He sighed . . . it was just that kind of day . . . where everything annoying occurred and everything wrong happened.

***********************

Aldwin sighed as he exited the small structure he had built. He had been on this planet for six days - and it was a nice planet, but it wasn't a home.

The planet was very sparsely populated with peaceful inhabitants that weren't yet advanced enough to take part in galactic politics. He faintly wished that he had a ship, that he might travel. But he did not.

It hurt him deeply that the Tok'Ra so easily believed him to be a traitor. He belonged nowhere . . . not among the Tok'Ra and certainly not among the Tau'ri. Perhaps he would never be accepted anywhere, maybe that was his destiny.

//It's your fault that I cannot return to the Tok'Ra. I should not have listened to you.// he thought at Akatis.

For once, Akatis remained silent, sensing his host's turmoil.

Aldwin walked through a clearing and sensed something . . .

His feeling was explained seconds later when he heard the sound of someone aiming a Jaffa weapon. Slowly turning around, he felt an initial stab of fear at the five Jaffa that stood there. It was pointless for him to attempt to get out his weapon. They would fire before he got his hand to it. The good news was, if they were there to kill him - he would have already been dead.

"What do you wish of me?" he asked calmly.

"You will come with us, Tok'Ra."

Aldwin nodded slowly, "Where are we going?"

The head Jaffa spoke again, "Ra wishes to speak with you. Now come freely or we will be forced to shoot you."

Aldwin sighed and held us his hands, indicating that he agreed. One of the Jaffa grabbed his zat gun, much to his dismay - not that it would do him much good anyway. He was captured . . . again.

***********************

Jack and Daniel entered the mess hall. Jack glanced at Daniel's plate, grabbing his usual bowl of froot loops at the same time. They silently sat at an empty table. A few minutes later, two members of SG-11, both casual acquaintances with the SG-1 team came over and sat with them.

"I can't believe that stupid Tok'Ra sold us out." one said.

"Yeah, and he was the one you trusted Jack." the other said teasingly.

Jack sighed, "Guess that's what I get for trusting a snake."

"Why did you ever trust him anyway?" the first asked.

"Oh I dunno, it might have something to do with the fact that he saved my life."

"Probably afraid that if he didn't then he'd look bad . . ."

"Hey, wasn't his first symbiote thing guilty of killing a bunch of other Tok'Ra?"

Jack nodded slowly.

"That's the answer then. How could that NOT affect the host's judgement? I bet he knew his symbiote was a traitor all along and didn't say anything about it!"

Jack stood up, "Sorry guys, I'd love to stay and chat, but General Hammond wanted to meet with me . . ."

Daniel silently got up and followed Jack into the hall. "Jack."

"That bothers me. What they were doing."

"No one ever said gossip was a good thing." Daniel added. "You know the truth, much better than they do. Is what they're saying accurate? If it isn't, don't let it bother you."

***********************

Unlike the time that Sokar's Jaffa had captured him, he was treated more as a guest, rather than a prisoner. Other than taking away his weapon, the Jaffa did not touch him Nor did they force him to kneel upon entering the throne room, even though they did.

Aldwin waited patiently, unmoving as Ra turned to face him.

"Welcome Tok'Ra."

"What do you wish of me?" Aldwin asked, his voice strong and clear. "Why have you imprisoned me?"

"You are not my prisoner, Tok'Ra. You have been treated as I would any guest. My Jaffa did not harm you in any way."

"I did not wish to be brought here."

"Perhaps that will change. I have a proposal that I believe would be beneficial for both of us."

Aldwin cautiously nodded.

"It has come to my attention that neither the Tok'Ra nor the Tau'ri fully appreciate your unique view of things. Both worlds have exiled you, leaving you nowhere to go. As you well know, I have been attempting to defeat the other system lords."

"And the Tok'Ra and Tau'ri as well." added Aldwin.

"If you would be willing to help me, perhaps we can avoid further deaths for those species. Perhaps we could defeat the other Goa'uld lords and then create an arrangement with the Tok'Ra. If you will help, no more Tok'Ra need die."

//Careful// warned Akatis.

"I find it hard to believe that you would willingly allow the Tok'Ra to continue unharmed."

Ra smiled, "They cannot cause much trouble and will die out eventually."

"And by giving you information, it would make it easier for you to speed that process along."

Ra retorted, "You would defend the beings that have exiled you from your own culture? If you help me, I will give you a place to belong. I know that your symbiote, Jabez once aided Sokar. I am more powerful. Why would you refuse such an honor? Besides, I shall also give you your own ship."

Aldwin did not correct Ra. Akatis had once caused him much trouble. "I shall consider your offer."

"Consider wisely Tok'Ra. You are my guest now. My enemies are not treated so kindly."

Ra's Jaffa moved closer, surrounding Aldwin.

"My Jaffa will show you to your 'guest' room. And as I said, consider carefully or our next conversation may not be so pleasant."

***********************

The room which the Jaffa took him to was rather spacious. It had a magnificent window out to the stars and Aldwin spent most of the night meditating, in conversation with his symbiote.

//I'm being offered the same choice Jabez was forced to make//

//It is not the same// thought Akatis //Jabez enjoyed his work at that time. Looking into the mind of a monster does not make you one//.

//What if I falter?//

//You will not. Let me help. Let me show you what I know.// Akatis suggested. //If you will open your mind to my presence, we can truly blend . . .//

Aldwin hesitated.

//I will not harm you nor betray you, Aldwin//

Aldwin forced himself to relax and push down the barriers he had erected around his mind. As he did, a flood of knowledge and warmth greeted him and he learned more about Akatis and his knowledge than he had ever learned from Jabez. And for the first time in the last 4 months, he felt whole again.

***********************

The next morning, Aldwin had expected the Jaffa to return and lead him to the throne room. Aldwin was tired, had not slept at all, but Akatis helped him put the fatigue out of his mind. They were truly one now. Oddly enough, rather than the Jaffa appearing, Ra himself entered Aldwin's room.

"Have you decided, Tok'Ra?"

"If I am to belong among your group, address me as Aldwin."

"Then you will join?" asked Ra, his eyes flashing with contentment.

"Yes. But I will not provide you any information I believe you will use for any evil purpose."

Aldwin could read Ra's displeasure at this provision, but it was replaced by acceptance. "Perhaps in time you will trust me with more sensitive information."

Aldwin nodded, "Perhaps."

"I wish you to be present to meet my other new ally. He is arriving at this moment."

Aldwin bowed his head. "I will join you." He wondered who else had been conned into this position. He followed Ra to the rings where the ally would join them. They activated, putting the being into the center of the rings. As the rings lifted again, Aldwin froze, barely concealing his look of fear. Only Akatis kept him from reacting.

"You wisely chose to support and help me, Sokar." Ra spoke to the newcomer.

Sokar glanced around, gaze resting on Aldwin, "Why do you have a Tok'Ra here?"

"He is exiled from the Tok'Ra. The Tau'ri hate him as well. He is to help us."

Sokar hissed. "Excellent."

"I shall return to the bridge. The Tok'Ra will accompany you until I return and inform you of our agreement."

Aldwin mentally panicked, //Akatis, I cannot . . .//

//You can and you must. Do you wish us to die now?// Akatis gave a mental sigh, //Allow me to handle this, trust me and listen to me. I will tell you what to say if need be.//

***********************

General Hammond sat at his desk, meeting with the commander of another SG team when Jack and Daniel entered.

"Colonel O'Neill, do you have the list of those possibly affected?" General Hammond asked when he caught sight of them.

"Right here, Sir. Daniel and I have spent the last three hours going through mission file after mission file. And we've come up with about 30 people who could possibly be zatarcs. The five at the top are the most likely suspects. We've also received another message from the Asgard. They believe that there is a zatarc among the Tok'Ra as well."

The other commander spoke up, "What about your friend's behavior? Wasn't that abnormal? Wasn't he held by Sokar for a while? Maybe he's the Za'tarc. That could be why be betrayed us."

"I don't think so . . ." Jack started.

"It is possible Colonel." Hammond interrupted with a warning glare.

Jack added sarcastically, "Should we contact the Tok'Ra and tell them?"

"Not yet."

***********************

Aldwin strolled downt he corridor next to Sokar. Only Akatis controlled his fear.

Finally Sokar spoke, "I do not understand your purpose here, nor do I care. If you are truly here to help, it will only aid my goal. If you are here to defeat Ra, that serves my purpose all the more. Apparently, the Tok'Ra council is weaker than I believed - they do not even get rid of their traitors."

"You did not kill me." Aldwin reminded him boldly.

"A mistake that I will correct after I defeat Ra." Sokar glared at Aldwin, "And if you repeat my words, then I will tell him you are a spy." Sokar held up his hand, touching Aldwin's forehead with the ribbon device. He activated it for a few seconds, to emphasize his warning.

It took all of Aldwin's willpower to remain still and show no fear. Akatis gently, comfortingly touched his mind, keeping his apprehension in check as Sokar lowered the device and stalked away.

***********************

"Colonel?" a voice called from the other end of the corridor.

Jack turned, questioning, "Sir?"

"I'm sending you through the Gate to find Aldwin."

"We'll be ready in ten minutes. What's wrong?"

Hammond shook his head, "No, Jack. Just you this time."

"Why? What's going on?"

"We would love to let him gather more intel, but we just received word that Ra and Sokar have become allies . . ."

"Making him vulnerable." finished Jack, "Sweet. I'm on my way."

Jack arrived at the planet where they'd sent Aldwin, and found no one there, except a squadron of Jaffa . . . and Ra's ship circling the planet. "Crap, so they've captured him already." he muttered.

Jack heard a commotion and looked around. The transport device activated and three figures appeared. All the Jaffa kneeled as Ra, Sokar, and Aldwin appeared. Ra and Sokar appeared especially happy. Aldwin was unemotional. He scanned the area and saw Jack. Unfortunately, so did Ra.

Sokar whispered something and Aldwin immediately began to move to the side, toward Jack.

Ra yelled a command and the Jaffa began shooting in Jack's direction. He and Aldwin ducked the shots and began running. Suddenly, an explosion knocked them both off their feet and blackness reigned.

***********************

Jack lifted his head to glance over at Aldwin. Jack could barely move. He lifted his hand, gently touching the gaping wound in his side.

"Hey Al . . ." he called, sitting up. He winced . . . he surely had a concussion and his arm --- was broken. Jack cursed, pulling himself over to where Aldwin lay. The Tok'Ra was still . . . too still. "Awwww crap." Jack moaned. Blood was flowing from the Tok'Ra's head and chest. Jack carefully turned him over and Aldwin's eyes fluttered open.

"Colonel . . ." he said weakly.

"Come on," Jack tried, unsuccessfully, to pull himself to his feet, "We've got to get out of here . . ." He collapsed back to the ground.

"I am quite unable to move." Aldwin said in a barely audible tone.

Jack pulled himself back up to a sitting position. Aldwin reached out and grabbed his hand. "I am sorry."

Jack turned his head to look at Aldwin and both were suddenly thrown back to the ground as Akatis jumped from Aldwin into Jack.

Jack awoke a short time later and gasped. He immediately glanced at Aldwin, who was barely breathing, blood covered his face, "What did you do?" he asked aloud.

Akatis answered in his mind, scaring Jack, //I will give you enough strength to return . . . and we cannot blend until you are completely healed. They will be able to transfer me to another host//.

"I can't just leave him here." Jack said, moving to check Aldwin.

//You must. He is dying//.

At that moment, Aldwin's face twisted in pain and he uttered urgently, "Go . . ." Aldwin gasped for air, fighting for each and every breath.

Jack finally nodded and stood slowly. He couldn't believe this . . . Aldwin's symbiote was inside him. The idea made him nauseous. He suddenly found himself kneeling back by Aldwin and it occurred to him that the symbiote had taken over.

I will not control you. I only wish to speak. Do not fear me.

But Jack's uneasiness was not abated.

Akatis placed a hand on Aldwin's forehead, "I am sorry, my friend." He then stood and returned control to Jack, who quickly stumbled down the hallway, giving a last look back at the dead Tok'Ra.

***********************

Jack stumbled through the Stargate, still stunned by what had happened and was still hurting because of his injuries. He also felt an enormous, overwhelming sense of loss at Aldwin's death. "Is that you?" Jack asked curiously. A couple of the Stargate guards gave him odd looks.

//I am sorry.// Akatis responded, //Aldwin and I had just recently bonded. He did not deserve his fate.//

"Welcome back Colonel. We were getting worried. Where's Aldwin?" General Hammond asked.

//Don't tell him about me yet// Akatis warned, //They will not accept it//.

Jack nodded, his eyes saying that the explanation could wait. General Hammond nodded in reply, taking in Jack's injuries.

"Report to the infirmary, Colonel."

Jack nodded and he left. Daniel caught up with him quickly. "Jack, are you okay?"

"Daniel . . . I gotta talk to ya." he said as they passed Daniel's office. Jack stopped and they stepped inside. "Where's Jacob?"

Daniel shrugged.


“Get him, now."

Daniel looked confused, but nodded and stepped out to find Jacob. Moments later, he and the Tok'Ra stepped back inside Daniel's office.

"What's going on Jack?" queried Jacob.

"Shouldn't you go see Janet?" Daniel asked.

"This is probably going to sound weird and all, but . . . Aldwin's dead. His snake, well . . . jumped inside me."

"What?!" exclaimed Daniel.

Jacob stepped closer and put a hand on Jack's forehead.

"There was no other choice," Akatis spoke sadly, "Aldwin could not survive."

Daniel jumped at hearing a Goa'uld sounding voice coming from Jack.

"He is Akatis. He is a Tok'Ra." Sel'mac said.

"Akatis says I'll be able to get him out of me . . . that I'll be fine and we can't be blended or whatever the heck it is, until I'm completely healed."

"He speaks the truth." Jacob said, "I'll have Martouf report to the Council and they shall begin the search immediately. We should have about a 48 hour window."

Daniel was still in shock as Jacob continued, "I'll talk to Hammond. Let him know you're okay."

"I can't go to the infirmary." Jack said, nearly crowing. He hated that place. "Can't be healed . . ."

"Right." Jacob said, "Maybe you should remain here, Jack."

Jack nodded, "Hurry up. I can't get used to have a snake in my head."

"We shall do our best." Jacob said, "And Akatis, I am sorry about Aldwin. He will not be forgotten."

Akatis nodded his head, "Thank you."

After Jacob left, Daniel glanced at Jack, "Let me get this straight, Jack O'Neill has a snake in his head?"

"That is correct." Akatis said.

Daniel shifted uncomfortably, "Could I speak with Jack?"

Akatis lowered his head and Jack returned, "Ugh, this is gonna give me whiplash."

"Are you okay Jack?"

"Yup, as okay as I could be. Do you think you could please stop moving around up there?"

"Jack?" Daniel looked puzzled and concerned.

"Oh, sorry. I hate that snake moving around in my head."

Daniel nodded. Five minutes later, General Hammond entered, followed by Jacob, Sam, Teal'C, and Dr. Frasier.

"Colonel, I'm told you have a . ."

"Snake." Jack provided helpfully.

Hammond nodded, "In your head."

"Yes sir, Jacob and Akatis tell me it can be removed and honestly, the sooner the better."

"We really should get him to the infirmary . . ." Fraiser said, "I need to treat his injuries."

"No thanks Doc." Jack said. Akatis added, "When the Colonel is completely healed, blending will take place. I am slowly healing his wounds and he is in no danger."

"I'd rather ascertain that myself." Frasier said. "General?"

Hammond turned to Jacob, the question on his face.

"Until we find his new host, it would be advisable that he remain stationary. He's in no danger."

"All right." Hammond nodded, "How long until a host is found?"

"Perhaps an hour or two."

"Okay." Hammond said, "Colonel, you and . . ."

"Akatis," Jack finished.

". . . and Akatis will remain here until Martouf returns."

***********************

A short while later, everyone filed out, leaving Daniel and Jack once again alone, with Akatis of course.

"Jack?"

"Daniel?" Jack responded, then added, "What's wrong?"

"It's weird . . ."

"And you think it's less weird for me?"

"It doesn't seem to bother you."

Jack shrugged, "I'm not stuck with it permanently and it's not like there's anything I can do." He didn't voice that he was still have trouble accepting the fact that Akatis had increasing access to his memories, thoughts and feelings. There were things about his life that no one knew. Not his ex-wife, not his friends, not even Daniel, his best friend. Now, Akatis knew some of that and whoever the host was would that stuff too.

"What's it like?" Daniel asked, curiousity in his voice, "Having a symbiote in your head?"

"Weird. It's like someone else jumped inside my body . . . well, I guess they actually did." Jack gave a laugh.

Daniel smiled weakly, obviously worried.

"It's gonna be okay Daniel." Jack said, "Soon as Marty gets back . . ."

Jack was interrupted by Martouf's entrance, "We have located a host." Martouf said it calmly, gesturing for the person to enter.

Jack glared at the new face, who looked like a kid - wide-eyed and eager-faced.

"We should move this to the infirmary." Janet said to Jacob, just outside the door.

"Wait a sec." Jack said calmly, moving towards the new host, who stepped back, intimidated. "What makes you think you're good enough to deserve this snake?"

Surprise crossed everyone's face at the question.

"The council finds him acceptable, Akatis." Martouf started.

"Oh, that makes me feel better," Jack said sarcastically, "And Akatis ain't asking these questions. I am."

"Colonel . . ." Martouf responded.

"Jack . . ." Jacob and Daniel said at the same time.

"Find another host. He ain't the one." Jack said.

"Colonel!" exclaimed General Hammond.

Jacob nodded at Martouf, "Continue looking. It is his choice, General."

"Why?" Daniel asked.

Jack ignored the question, arms crossed, "When can you have another host?"

"By tomorrow morning." Martouf said passively.

Jack nodded, "Okay, do it."

"Colonel O'Neill . . ." Hammond started.

Over the next twenty-four hours, the Tok'Ra paraded five more hosts through the SGC. After raking each one through the coals with questions, Jack dismissed each one. Akatis had found two unacceptable as well. Jack also refused to discuss the whys to anyone and the Tok'Ra were becoming more frustrated by the hour. They had even sent Counselor Per'sus to speak with Jack and Akatis. Not surprisingly, all that accomplished was offending him because Jack pretty much told him off.

***********************

"How much time do I have left?"

"Two hours or so before blending is complete." Jacob said, "And that's only an approximation. Jack, you need to choose."

Daniel nodded, biting his lip nervously, "Unless you want to have a snake in your head permanently."

"They don't really like being called that you know." Jack said absently. Daniel and Sam exchanged a look and General Hammond looked vaguely amused.

"Jack," Daniel started, "I asked you before but you never answered. You don't want a symbiote. Why are you so picky about who gets it?"

"Aldwin saved my life. I owe it to him to find a good host." Jack said simply.

Teal'C raised an eyebrow. Sam looked surprised. It wasn't like Jack to act this caring toward the Tok'Ra. And although he had never liked the fact that Akatis was in his head, he had not hated the Tok'Ra more because of the incident. In fact, if anything, he almost seemed to have more respect for them.

"We have a final host." Martouf announced, entering the room. Jack turned around, and his jaw dropped.

"Aldwin, you are well!" exclaimed Akatis in an uncharacteristic display of emotion, a display which looked comical coming from Jack O'Neill's mouth.

"I thought you were dead." Jack added in a calmer tone.

Aldwin nodded and explained, "I was. The inhabitants of the planet keep themselves invisible to outsiders. They believe that all outsiders are a threat, and are of the same nature as the Goa'uld. They witnessed what occurred and found that it was not true. They made the decision to save my life, using a sarcophagues they had appropriated."

Jacob grinned, "Will he be an acceptable host, Colonel?"

Jack nodded, "Yeah, I guess so."

"Then let's get you both to the infirmary and prepare," Jacob said, then turned to the group, "The less people present, the better."

Janet spoke, "I will be present. I insist on it."

Jacob nodded his consent and followed Dr. Frasier. Jack and Aldwin lagged behind, walking side by side.

"I appreciate your care of Akatis, even though you do not care for us. And I thank you for not rushing to be rid of him."

Jack shrugged, "He ain't bad for a snake. I'm glad you're alright."

"And I'm pleased you are as well. Why did you care about finding an acceptable host, if I may ask?"

Jack shrugged again, "You saved my life. You and Akatis both trusted me. I owed it to you and to him . . . it . . . whatever."

"As I stated, I am very grateful. Have you found the experience disturbing?"

Jack nodded, "I don't really feel comfortable when someone has access to my thoughts and I can see memories that aren't mine. Akatis has missed you a lot."

"And I him. It was strange when I awakened without Akatis."

"I bet." Jack said as they stepped into the infirmary. "Will this hurt?"

"It will be painful." Aldwin said, "Separation is always painful. But you will recover quickly."

Jack nodded, for once making no sarcastic comments.

"Lie down." Jacob instructed, pointing to a table. Jack slowly sat down, then leaned back casually, "So . . ." Jack drawled, "What's up doc?"

Aldwin glanced up at the ceiling momentarily, wondering why Jack would be asking such an obvious question.

Jack rolled his eyes, and let Akatis spoke, "He did not intend the comment literally."

Aldwin nodded, but obviously still didn't quite get it.

"So what now?" Jack asked Jacob.

Jacob smirked, "Well, I could tell you what Sel'Mac told me . . ."

"Which was?" Jack asked.

"Kiss me." Jacob deadpanned.

Aldwin looked amused. Jack raised his eyebrows, "And it doesn't bother Carter that her dad's making out with snakes now Jacob?" he asked in a mock-curious, sarcastic tone. He sensed Akatis' amusement as well.

Jacob smiled, and Sel'mac responded, "You must be close enough to allow the symbiote to jump from host to host."

Aldwin lay down next to Jack.

"Just open your mouth and relax, Jack. Let Akatis do the rest."

And Akatis, jumped out in a sudden movement, startling Jack. "Now that's a rush . . ."

***********************

Several hours (and hundreds of tests) later

"You're in perfect health, Colonel." Janet Frasier said, finally allowing Jack to leave the infirmary. He wasted no time escaping and immediately went looking for Aldwin.

Aldwin was in a guest room, sitting with his eyes closed, communicating with his symbiote. Jack waiting at the door until Aldwin's eyes snapped open. "Colonel." he stated, a slight smile crossing his lips.

"Yeah, I think it's me. Doc Frasier finally let me get out of there."

"You're alright?"

"I'm fine." Jack said, "Still have a bit of whiplash . . . but . . . How are you doing?"

"I feel complete." Aldwin said.

"That makes one of us." Jack quipped, "I understand why you said that separation is always painful. I'm still not and never will be fond of snakes but I feel some . . ." Jack trailed off and shrugged, embarrassed, "I miss him a little."

Aldwin nodded, "Thank you."

Jack nodded uncomfortably, "I saw . . . what happened with Jabez. Akatis showed me and how it affected you. I understand and I'm sorry."

Aldwin nodded, "Akatis knows of the depth of your guilt over your son," Jack looked surprised and Aldwin immediately saw the defenses go up. "And he has shown me some of the secret missions you went on. Akatis has been through many similar things."

"I know." Jack nodded.

"I will tell no one of these things. You have the word of both myself and Akatis."

"The reverse is also true." Jack still wasn't thrilled that someone knew his secrets . . . but he'd live with it . . . better that than a snake.

***********************

A Short Time Later,

A Briefing Room

"The Tok'Ra wish you to return to our base." Martouf said.

"I will not." Aldwin stated, "I cannot."

"They are aware that your alleged betrayal was a ruse to gather information." Jacob explained, touching his shoulder. "They understand."

Aldwin shrugged the arm away, "I cannot."

"They will not be pleased." Martouf reminded him.

Aldwin shook his head, "They have been displeased before. I do not care."

"You should, given what happened last time." Anise snapped, entering the room.

"You do not understand."

Anise came to stand immediately in front of him, "No, I do not. I think perhaps I should recommend that the Council find a new host for Akatis." She stated haughtily. "You are obviously not adequate."

"Why do you not like me? What about me offends you so?"

"You disgrace what it means to be a Tok'Ra. You refuse to heed the Council. And you are to blame for Jabez's crimes."

Aldwin looked shocked. Martouf remained impassive and silent. Jacob looked ready to interfere, but wisely waited. "I was not." Aldwin responded quietly, "You truly believe I was responsible?"

She glared, "Yes. When we return, I will be recommending that we remove your symbiote again, and this time get rid of the host."

Akatis spoke, "I do not wish another host, nor do I understand why you view that which is different as evil. That is narrowminded indeed. I will not be going."

"And you will remain with the Tau'ri?" Anise asked in a condescending tone.

"No." Akatis said, "We do not know where we will go."

Jacob interrupted, "General Hammond has requested our presence for a briefing."

Silently, they all stood and walked across the hall. They quickly entered the room and took their seats.

Hammond nodded at them in greeting. "As you know, Ra is still alive." There was an expectant pause.

"You think?" Akatis contributed tenatively.

Jack grinned as shock echoed across everyone's face.

Hammond finally recovered and spoke, "We need to decide what we're going to do next."

Jacob stood, "George, the Tok'Ra council has reconsidered its position and would be interested in renewing the alliance."

"Why?" Jack asked.

"We feel it would be more beneficial to remain united."

"They had no choice." Akatis stated as Anise glared at him.

"I'll discuss it with the President." Hammond said carefully, "And we'll get back to you soon."

Thirty minutes later the meeting was over and the Tok'Ra were preparing to leave. Jacob stopped Aldwin, "I have arranged a ship for you to have. Here is the location," He handed Aldwin a piece of paper.

"Thank you."

"The council, while officially they do not approve, unofficially say they need you."

Aldwin nodded.

"Good luck."

***********************



The End.