Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Imminent Downfall - General Jack Year 1 Part 18

by Flatkatsi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Imminent Downfall


I rematerialised in the best science fiction tradition, in a beam of glowy light, in my own quarters. I promptly sat down.

I felt like crap.

Tired. Very, very tired.

I really needed to tell George I was back. I just had to shut my eyes for a minute. My arms were on the desk, my head was down on my arms, and my eyes were closed.

Just resting.

Just for a minute.

Thor was alive.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

It was the uncomfortable feeling of pressure on my arm that woke me. I lifted my head, and peered blurrily at the clock on the wall. Four hours. No wonder my arm hurt.

I was still tired.

Thor was alive.

I managed to spruce myself up, leaning against the hand basin in the small bathroom, and made myself respectable enough to be seen in public. Well, as respectable as someone with lines on his forehead from resting on a cast can be. I would go tell George I was back, and then check myself into the infirmary.

But first I’d just have a little lie down on the bed.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

I peered at the clock. Three hours this time. This was getting old very quickly.

Thor was alive.

I snuggled down into the blankets and promptly fell asleep again.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Thor was alive.

That was the thought in my mind when I finally woke properly for the first time in what seemed like days. Another wash and change of clothes and I managed to achieve the gargantuan task of opening the door and exiting the room. Hey – don’t laugh! It only took me ten hours to get this far. I felt better than I had in days.

I had almost reached George’s office when the raucous noise of the gate alarm echoed off the walls. It was then that I realised there was one legacy of all that sleep – a delicate head that resented being made to think. I turned on my heels and headed for the control room as the announcement of unscheduled visitors came out of the speakers.

The General was just ordering the iris open so I presumed it was one of our allies that was about to arrive. He didn’t even blink as I came up alongside of him. He had become as accustomed to my unexpected reappearances as I had.

He answered my unspoken question. “Tok’ra.”

That was a surprise. We hadn’t had much contact with the Tok’ra since they backed out of our alliance. In fact, the last time I had anything to do with them other than Jacob, it had indirectly been the cause of my capture by Ba’al for the second time.

Not my favourite people.

The two men who walked down the ramp were strangers to me. They were dressed in the usual Tok’ra uniform of artistically torn rough leather and cloth, as if they were modelling for a ‘try too hard’ fashion designer. Even the way they stepped onto the gate room floor showed the same arrogance as a model on a Paris catwalk.

“We must talk.”

So much for the niceties.

George leaned forward and spoke into the microphone. “Please show our guests to the briefing room.” He watched for a moment as they were led off, before finally turning to me. After staring at me appraisingly, he nodded and gave me a slight smile. “You’re looking a lot better, Jack.” He gestured towards his office. “Shall we?”

“What about…?” I didn’t bother finishing the sentence. There was no need.

“They can wait.”

I followed George to his office and waited for him to take his seat behind the desk, before sitting down. I didn’t wait for him to speak.

“He’s alive.” I was sure that the grin on my face was enough to tell him who I meant.

“How?”

I told the General exactly what Myton had told me. That Thor was being regrown, with all his memories transferred into the new body. I explained that Thor had asked that I be the one to start the process. I just didn’t explain how. I didn’t tell him about the DNA.

I couldn’t really put my finger on why I didn’t want to tell him. There was something special about it, something I didn’t want to be investigated and picked apart. That would be exactly what would happen if I told George. I’d be questioned and my responses would be gone over with a fine tooth comb. They would turn something that made me feel good, into a nightmare.

And I’d had enough nightmares lately.

The Tok’ra glared at us when we entered the briefing room, their impatience at the delay obvious. They stayed seated, every gesture signalling their contempt. General Hammond must have sensed the atmosphere as well, because his first words were curtly spoken.

“I’m General Hammond. This is General O’Neill. And you are?”

The older looking of the two men replied, older being of course subjective, who knew how old these snakes in lamb’s clothing were? He even had a few streaks of grey in his otherwise black hair. Must have gotten the short straw when the hosts were being handed out. “I am Say’tar and this,” he gestured with one hand to the man beside him, ‘is Jos’van. We have come to ask two questions.”

George nodded. “I won’t guarantee that I will answer them, but go ahead.”

“They are for O’Neill.” Jos’van’s voice was cold. “Did you kill Ba’al?”

Wow, news certainly travelled fast. I didn’t try to hide my dislike, answering with one word only. “Yes.”

They exchanged glances, their expressions unreadable.

It was Say’tar who spoke next. “Did you cause the death of Supreme Commander Thor of the Asgard?”

Again I answered economically. I wouldn’t let these bastards see the emotion their question had dug up from where I had buried it under the delight in knowing Thor would be back. “Yes, I did.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw George flinch as if hit. The Tok’ra pushed back their chairs and stood.

“Just one god damn minute here!” George was almost shouting, glaring between our two visitors and me. I don’t know who he was angrier with. I think I probably won by a short nose. “General O’Neill did not kill Commander Thor. He...”

Say’tar broke in, his deep voice overwhelming that of the General’s. “One of our operatives was serving in Ba’al’s army. He saw everything. He saw Commander Thor sacrifice himself to save the life of a coward who stood waiting to die.” I couldn’t help myself; I lowered my eyes, the memory of Thor’s death still vivid.

“We should tell them.” The harsh Goa’uld syllables surprised me out of my reverie. Tell us what? The fact I spoke Goa'uld was a snippet of information that apparently their smart ass little spies hadn't acquired.

Jos’van’s quick reply was almost too soft for me to hear. “They do not deserve to be warned.”

Warned about what?

Say’tar gave the other man a stern glance. He continued around the table, but paused next to George, looking down at the shorter man. “We have tried to contact the Asgard. There has been no reply. We suspect they have withdrawn from our galaxy. The last vessel in this area left several of your hours ago”

This time George managed to interrupt.

“This is ridiculous. General O’Neill has just returned from an Asgard ship.” He held his hand up to forestall another comment from the Tok’ra and continued. “Commander Thor is being regenerated. And…” He paused, glaring, daring anyone to interrupt again, “despite what your operative said, Commander Thor’s death was not the fault of General O’Neill and the Asgard attach no blame to him. Furthermore, I resent the implications…”

This time Jos’van was almost shouting. “You may resent what you wish. Our scans have shown no Asgard vessels anywhere near Earth, and if O’Neill has told you he was on one, then I would be doubting his word. He has already shown himself to be a coward, a liar is just a short step further along the same path.”

George took a step closer and stared belligerently into the other man’s face. He didn’t even raise his voice, his tone icy. “How dare you accuse one of my officers of such a thing. I will ask you to leave this facility immediately.”

“Wait a minute.” I spoke for the first time since answering the Tok’ra’s questions. “You’ve never had the technology to detect Asgard ships. How do you know they’ve left?”

“You doubt our word?” Again Jos’van was the one to answer, his face flushed red with anger.

I’d had enough of that son of a bitch. I stepped right up into his personal space and grabbed him by the jacket collar with my one good hand. “You just called me a liar, you bastard. I have every right to doubt your word.”

“Jack!”

“Jos’van.”

Both voices spoke together as George and Say’tar reacted to the confrontation. I stopped, realising I just might have a tiger by the tail. I released my grip and moved back. There was no point to acting like this. It would only make things worse than they already were.

Jos’van’s eyes flashed white, the look on his face was thunderous. “You did well to give up. It was only the fact that you are injured that prevented me from snapping your arm like a twig.” The echoes in his snakey voice were a timely reminder just how right he was.

“Come, Jos’van. Leave him. This fighting with a coward such as he is beneath you.” Say’tar admonished the other man in Goa’uld once more. It took all my willpower not to react to his words. He turned to George and gave a curt nod. “We will leave now. Have the gate dialled to the coordinates we left with your men.”

George placed a restraining hand on my arm. “Can’t we discuss this more calmly? There is a misunderstanding here that we should clear up.”

“There is no misunderstanding, General Hammond.” Say’tar continued to walk to the door of the briefing room, Jos’van close on his heels. “O’Neill’s actions have caused the Asgard to withdraw from our galaxy, losing us our most valuable ally.”

Jos’van had one parting shot to give. He paused at the door, looked me up and down and spat. “This is not finished, coward.” He turned on his heels, leaving the floor with a wet spot, and me with the knowledge that I had a new enemy to add to the already too long list.

“Oh shit!” I didn’t bother going to the observation window to watch the Tok’ra leave, I dropped into a chair and ran my hand through my hair, my heart pounding. I heard George pull out a chair across the table from me, but I didn’t look up. Suddenly all the adrenaline that had coursed through my veins while the Tok’ra were here had gone, leaving me with a headache, a throbbing cheek, and a deep sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I couldn’t help but see the situation from the Tok’ra’s point of view. Their operative had reported my hesitation, Thor’s sacrifice, then Ba’al’s death at my hands. They must have tried to contact the Asgard, and had their messages go unanswered. Then the Asgard ships had left.

Much though I hated to admit it, I probably would have come to the same conclusion – pissed off Asgard had left, taking their dead leader with them.

I leaned back, tilted my head up and looking at the ceiling. George still sat silently, patiently waiting for me to speak. Gradually my pulse slowed as I let myself relax. I let the quiet stretch for a moment longer, then lowered my head and sat forward.

“If what Say’tar said was true, and the Tok’ra do have the technology to detect Asgard vessels, then they certainly could have seen Myton’s ship leaving several hours ago.” I saw the frown begin to form on George’s brow as he took in what I was saying. “I was beamed back to my quarters early this morning. I’ve been back for hours.”

“What do you mean? Why didn’t you report as soon as you returned?”

I sighed, looking into his confused face. “I fell asleep. I was exhausted, I really can’t say much more than that. I had just woken up when I came to you.”

George’s gaze was calculating, then I saw the harsh lines around his mouth relax into a not quite smile. “You certainly look more rested than you did before.”

I gave him a not quite smile back. “I felt better, at least until the Bobsey Twins visited.” My hand reached up involuntarily and rubbed at the bridge of my nose. “This could be a problem.”

“Is there any way of contacting Myton? Perhaps the communicator you have?”

I shook my head. “We can try, but they are probably out of range by now.”

George stood again, a restless movement so unlike him that it made me start slightly. He walked over to the coffee pot and poured himself a cup, not even asking me if I wanted one. It looked like he was operating on autopilot and I wondered what he was thinking.

It was several minutes before he spoke again. I left the silence unbroken, knowing that whatever conclusion he came to, he would do the right thing.

He finally sat down again, still sipping on what must by now be cold coffee.

“I’ll have to put this in my report.”

I nodded. I had never doubted he would.

“Including the accusations the Tok’ra made.”

I nodded again, outwardly careful not to allow what I was feeling to show. Inside I flinched. “I understand.”

We sat for a while longer, until finally he pushed his chair back, standing wearily. I rose as well.

“I’ll have a full report for you within the hour.”

He didn’t answer, just giving a brief nod of acknowledgement before leaving the room. I followed closely behind, but turned and headed for my office.

Just the facts, Jack. Just the facts.

This time the facts spoke for themselves.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

The knock on the door was no surprise. It came a little quicker than I had expected, but I knew I had made enemies in high places, enemies that had been waiting for just such an opportunity.

I took the envelope from the young Lieutenant’s hand, giving him a nod of dismissal. The papers inside were thick with officialdom, heavy solid forms that could spell the end of my career.

An inquiry.

Charges to face.

Cowardice in the face of the enemy.

No contact with anyone likely to appear before the tribunal.

Suspended.

There were other words, but only one that stood out for me. Cowardice.

No matter how much I wanted to remember it differently, I knew I had frozen. I had stood there like a lamb about to be slaughtered and waited for death. If I could have moved I probably would have turned tail and run.

I packed my briefcase and left the base, locking my office door behind me. As instructed, I didn’t say goodbye, I just left, signing out and heading for home without a backward glance.

The End