Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Keeping Occupied - General Jack Year 1 Part 14

by Flatkatsi
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Keeping Occupied


Sometimes you wake up and really don’t want to go to work. It doesn’t matter how exciting your job is or how much you love it, sometimes you just want to lie in bed and sleep the day away. You open your eyes and see the daylight filtering through the drapes and the only thing that you can think of is how much you don’t want to get up.

This was one of those mornings. Wet, dreary and altogether miserable. The rain hadn’t let up for weeks, it had flooded all the gutters and taken all the fun out of driving. It had soaked into the lawn, turning it into a quagmire of mud, and it made every bone in my body ache.

I lay there, wondering how I could justify ringing the base. Calling in sick wasn’t an option – the dull ache and the hard scarring across my belly were a reminder that I wasn’t long out of the infirmary. I was sure the Doc would just love it if I called in sick; she’d be on me as quickly as a fly on a steak. As it was, it was only because I had insisted that I was completely healed that she had let me go home at all.

No – calling in sick was not an option.

I got up with a groan and moved to the window. The view didn’t get any better for being any closer. It was still pouring, and although I couldn’t see it when I was in the mountain, I could always feel it, especially in my knee.

There was really no way to get out of it. I took my time getting ready, for once not caring that I was going to be late. My morning was going to be taken up with the annual staff evaluations, and I knew that no one would miss me before my appointment with the Doc after lunch. I showered and dressed slowly, drank coffee, ate some toast – did everything that I could think of to delay the inevitable.

The traffic was horrendous. What is it about rain that brings out the worst in drivers? By the time I was at the mountain, I was not so much in a foul mood as depressed. I’d only just been cleared for light duties, so the prospect of a nice warm sunny beach on a far distant planet was just a pipe dream I kept taunting myself with.

“General O’Neill?” The guard on the front desk gave me a nervous look. For a second I wondered if I was frowning on the outside as much as I was on the inside, but then he continued. “May I ask you something, sir?”

I managed a bleak smile. “What is it, Sergeant?”

“I’m a member of the base shooting team, and we need new members. I was in the range when you shot the other week, sir, and,” he looked even more nervous, “I was wondering if you would consider joining. It’s mainly NORAD staff, sir, we don’t have many members from your section.”

I didn’t even know there was a shooting team. I thought for a moment.

Why not? I could do with a hobby. It wasn’t such a bad idea.

I could see the Sergeant eyeing me, worried about my reaction.

“I’ll think about it, Sergeant. It depends on whether I have the time available, but what say you give me a call the next time you meet, and if I can, I’ll come up and join you. No guarantees mind you.”

I entered the elevator in a much happier frame of mind.

“Morning General.”

I nodded pleasantly to the passing airman, and carried on towards my office. I’d give those staff evaluations my full attention, and then get something to eat before seeing the Doc. Much though I hated paper work, the evaluations were important.

Apart from a momentary twitch from the wound when I sat down, I was feeling remarkably fit – much better then I had this morning. Even my sore knee was quiet for a change. Maybe it had stopped raining.

I settled in to work. I was pleased at my progress by the time lunch rolled around. I closed down the computer and stretched. I really wasn’t hungry, but there was something that I wanted to do before seeing the Doc.

I changed into sweats and headed for the gym. A forty-minute workout left me just time for a shower before my appointment.

Yes, I was certainly feeling more like my old self.

“What have you been doing, sir?” Doc Fraiser poked a finger into my stomach and glared up at me sternly. “You were meant to be taking it easy.”

“I was, Doc.” I couldn’t help smiling at her expression. “I feel fine.”

“Well you aren’t, General O’Neill,” she snapped straight back at me. “You are still recovering from a serious injury. If you think that pushing yourself is going to get you back on the active duty roster any quicker, you better think again. At this rate I’m tempted to put you back in the infirmary.”

Crap – she didn’t look like she was joking. I tried my best smile, and only got an even more annoyed look in response. Suddenly my happy mood flew out the nonexistent windows, and down the drain. Mixed metaphor or not, that was how I felt.

“Sorry, Doctor.” The rain must have been back with a vengeance up top, because my knee picked that moment to give me a vicious reminder that a forty-minute workout might not have been such a good idea. I barely managed to disguise the jolt of pain by jumping up quickly, almost having my knee collapse under me as my feet hit the floor.

“I better get back to my office then, Doctor.” I could snap as well.

I limped out with all the dignity I could muster, feeling the Doc’s gaze hot on my retreating back.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

I had only just seated myself behind my desk when there was a sharp rap on the door, and General Hammond’s aide poked his head around the corner.

“Oh, sorry, sir, I didn’t expect to find you here. The General asked me to check when he couldn’t reach you on the phone. He wants to see you in his office.”

I stood back up, feeling every one of my muscles calling out to me to sit back down and rest. I didn’t know what George wanted, but it better be good.

The aide skipped on ahead of me. I say skipped because that was how his youthful exuberance struck me. I plodded along behind.

Hammond wasn’t sitting at his desk when I finally reached his office; he was standing looking at the photos on his wall. He turned as soon as I entered.

“Thank you for coming, Jack.” He gestured to the visitor’s chair and sat as I did, putting his elbows on the table and leaning forward. “I have a favour to ask.” He raised a finger as I opened my mouth. “No, before you say anything, wait until I tell you what I’m asking. Then give me your answer.”

“Okay, sir.” I settled back down in my seat.

“This is an unorthodox request, Jack, that’s why I’ll understand if you decide not to accept it. Normally I wouldn’t even consider asking someone of your rank to do this, but I can’t think of anyone else that can do the job.”

“Go on.” He was beginning to worry me.

“We have just had word that there is a problem at the X-304 test site. The new group of trainees were part way through their evaluation when Major Fisher was called away. I’m afraid that his father had a heart attack, and he has flown to Florida to be with him.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, sir. How can I help?”

“I need someone to finish the evaluation, Jack. Everyone else qualified is either off world or already assigned.”

“So you want me to go out there?” I thought of the long drive in the rain. Then I thought of the Doc. “Ah – I just came from the infirmary. The Doc said that I had to take it easy.”

“I’ll square it with Doctor Fraiser. You won’t be doing anything strenuous, so she shouldn’t have any objections.”

If I couldn’t go off world it was better than nothing, it would be a chance to get out of the mountain.

“I’d be pleased to do it, sir.” I was rewarded with a grateful smile.

“Good. I’ll contact Doctor Fraiser, and inform her. The car will be waiting up top in thirty minutes. Thanks for doing this, Jack.”

“Don’t thank me until I get back, George. I might fail all of them.”

He laughed as I left his office, thinking that I was joking. He should know me better than that by now.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Yes, it was still raining.

Joy.

I hunkered down into my seat and shut my eyes. There are some advantages to being a general, and I wasn’t about to waste this one. It’s a long drive to the test site and I decided that I might as well get some rest.

I came awake with a start. That wasn’t me snoring was it? Couldn’t have been. I don’t snore.

I straightened up, and looked towards the driver. He was concentrating on the road.

See, I wasn’t snoring. I don’t snore.

“How long before we get there, Airman?”

“About ten minutes, sir.”

I must have slept longer than I thought. The rain had eased, in fact the road was barely damp. The sun was trying its best to edge its way between the grey clouds. Soon the gates of the base appeared in the distance, lonely in their isolation. It was another five minutes before we pulled up outside the few buildings dedicated to the X-304 training section, a large hanger dominating the view. There wasn’t a sign of anyone. I dismissed the driver, telling him that I would arrange transport back when I required it, then made my way into the small wooden building beside the hanger.

There were eight of them, all sitting in various poses that reflected the boredom of being stuck out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Six men and two women in a range of shapes and sizes, wishing that they were anywhere but here, and wondering why they were here at all.

As soon as they spotted me, they all came to their feet. It may not say ‘General’ anywhere on my BDU’s, but my grey hair tends to get that reaction these days, most coming to the conclusion that grey means senior, and better safe than sorry. I had read their files on the drive over, before my nap, and knew they were some of the best pilots that we had. I also knew they hadn’t been told much about the X-304, just that they were being tested on a new plane. Fisher had barely started their orientation before being called away. Now it was up to me.

I got straight down to business.

“As you know, Major Fisher has been called away unexpectedly. I am General O’Neill. I will be taking over from him.”

I saw the surprise and speculation on their faces. I didn’t give them time to ask any questions. “I take it that you haven’t seen the aircraft that you will be flying?”

Several replies of “No sir” confirmed what I already knew.

“Come on then.” I lead them out to the hanger, and showed my ID to the guards. The large doors were rolled back and the X-304s were revealed.

The silence was deafening. I walked up to one of the sleek beauties, watching to see who would be the first to follow. Lieutenant Tong was almost overtaking me in his eagerness.

“Let’s get her out in the sunshine.”

As the craft was being brought out, I gave them my standard spiel about a new top-secret experimental plane. They had all been given information packs, but seeing the realty was different, and I don’t think that any of them were really hearing me.

I ran through the usual stuff with them – these are the wings, this is the front – that sort of thing. So far they had been pretty quiet. I would like to have thought that it was because they were in awe of me, but I knew better.

While they were investigating the plane for themselves, I mentally ran through the evaluation procedure. It now called for me to take them back inside, and discuss the new technology used in the X-304, using the whiteboard, suitable graphs and diagrams.

Janet was going to kill me!

“Who’s up for a flight?”

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Captain Robinson had stars in her eyes. I could see them reflected off her helmet when I looked back.

So far all the pilots had had exactly the reaction I would have expected from a group of hand picked trained professionals. None of them had done more than gasp in wonder as we had breached the atmosphere and headed on and up.

I knew it would be getting dark down below so, reluctantly, I turned the plane for home.

There was a sigh from behind me, quickly cut off.

I knew exactly how she felt. It didn’t matter how often I saw our planet from up here, it never failed to amaze me with its beauty.

I wished that I could stay up there and drink in the feeling, but I had no choice.

We floated back down to Earth.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

It was the end of a long, but very satisfying afternoon, and I felt stiff all over. I eased my way out of the pilot’s seat, trying to get down from the X-304 with as much dignity as I could muster. I stood stiffly, aware of the bright eager eyes staring at me.

“Okay, kids. Go get something to eat, and I’ll join you soon.”

I waited until they had all disappeared before leaning against the plane, my hand creeping into my shirt to massage my stomach, kneading the hard knot of pain away.

Janet was going to kill me.

The kids were billeted in the quarters of the main air base, several minutes drive away. When George had asked me to do this, it had been clear that I would have to stay overnight so I had come prepared. I grabbed a car, and drove over to my quarters, very glad to be able to park close by. My bag was waiting for me, so I took a quick shower and changed, knowing that if I lay down I would probably not be able to get back up for hours. The hot water eased the ache, and by the time I reached the mess, walking slowly and carefully, I was feeling more like myself.

My group were sitting in one corner, laughing and happy. I was glad to see that they kept their voices quiet as they discussed the events of the day. Looking around, I spotted the base commander, Colonel Hancock, over at the counter, collecting his meal. I waited until he moved to an empty table before joining him.

He stood up when he saw me.

“Sir.”

“How are you, David?” I sat and he resumed his seat. “It’s been a while.” The last time I had seen him was just before my posting to Colorado. We were stationed at the same base, and had crossed paths occasionally, my Special Ops team making use of his pilots and aircraft.

“Good, General, good. Congratulations on your promotion” He paused, and I knew what was coming. I recognised the signs – the slightly embarrassed look, the hesitation. “I was sorry to hear about your son, Jack.”

Even after all these years, it still hurt deep down inside, in the place where I hid the pain. It may not be on the surface anymore, but it was always there, as much a part of me as breathing.

“Thanks, David.”

I couldn’t help myself. I shifted in my chair, forgetting how close I was to the table, bumping hard against it.

“Shit!”

“Are you okay?” He began to rise, and I stopped him, looking at the interested audience we had attracted.

“I’m okay.”

“You don’t look okay, sir.”

I felt the beads of sweat, and knew that I really didn’t feel okay either.

Janet was SO going to kill me.

“Can we take this somewhere a little more private?” I smiled grimly. “And not too far away?”

“Your quarters?”

I nodded and stood, looking around.

“Lieutenant Tong” He was just walking near us, heading for the men’s room. I beckoned for him to come over.

“General?”

Time to use one of my many no longer hidden talents. I lowered my voice, and rapidly told the Lieutenant that I had every intention of being back with them in the morning, but if I was delayed to start reviewing the mission reports that I would have sent over.

Cantonese comes in handy when you don’t want to be overhead.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Yet another morning when I didn’t want to get out of bed, except this time it was because I knew what to expect. It had taken all my wonderful powers of persuasion to stop Hancock from calling in a doctor the night before after I had explained about the knife wound.

I was fine. I didn’t need a doctor.

Keep telling yourself that, Jack. Mind over matter, that’s the trick.

I got my feet on the ground.

Objective number one almost completed.

There was a knock on the door.

Crap! Objective number one rapidly completed with associated cursing.

“Oh for cryin’ out loud! You been taking lessons from my team?” Hancock stood at the door, his face worried. “I’m fine!”

“Yes, sir, I can see that.”

“Sarcasm doesn’t become you, Colonel.” I tried my best glare, but it seemed to just wash over him. I knew that he was concerned, and I couldn’t blame him. I would have been concerned in his position. Doesn’t do to have a general collapse while visiting your command. Doesn’t look good on your record.

Neither does having the Asgard High Commander shot in your living room, but I couldn’t placate him with that particular tale.

Pity.

Mind over matter, Jack.

“Give me a minute, David, and I’ll join you for breakfast.”

It was a dismissal, and he knew it.

Ten minutes later I fairly bounced into the mess, and ate an animated breakfast. It’s amazing what you can do if you have to.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

I spent most of the day explaining exactly what we planned for the X-304s, with pictures.

Nice big pictures of Goa’uld motherships.

The mood was sombre when I left the room to take a call from Hammond. Major Fisher’s father had died and he had taken a week’s leave. Under the circumstances George had recalled Major Stainton from SG-4 and was sending him to complete the training and evaluation.

He wanted me back ASAP. Some sort of emergency at the Alpha site. Yet again.

I was getting very, very tired of the whole Alpha site situation.

As a concession to my supposed state of recovery, the waring parties were coming to the SGC, saving me an off world trip. Nice of them. Of course, it would have been even better if they hadn’t argued in the first place, but I knew that was too much to expect.

I told George that I would find the fastest way back.

I was very annoyed.

I wasn’t a happy camper.

I had been enjoying myself.

Then I looked out the window, and my eyes lit up.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Janet was definitely going to kill me.

And I certainly owed David big time.

I smiled out the cockpit at his anxious face, and gave him a cheery wave.

I reached forward and turned the battery switch to on, changed the auxiliary power to start, and put both throttles to idle. The engines started up, and thirty seconds later I was in the air.

I sat back and let the F-22 supercruise its way to Peterson.

All right, I admit it – I didn’t let the Raptor do all the work. I took time out to have just a little fun with the Air Force’s new baby. A few rolls, a couple of turns.

Fun fun fun.

This sure beat driving.

I turned a few heads, landing at Peterson.

Ah - boy’s toys. Don’t you just love them?

Sure beats a truck any day.

I commandeered a car and driver, and made it to the SGC in record time.

Four hours later, a not particularly happy group of Tok’ra and Jaffa, with their Tau’ri minders, headed home through the gate, their tails between their legs. I sat in the meeting room, watching as the papers were cleared from the table, and felt very pleased with myself.

I was on a roll.

I stood up and promptly sat down again, clutching my stomach.

Oh crap!

I felt like all the fires of Netu were eating me from the inside out. What was this? Punishment for being naughty?

The room started to twist around, table and chairs dancing across my vision. There was a voice calling for a doctor, but I couldn’t do anything to stop them. I just shut my eyes and concentrated on pushing down the pain.

“General O’Neill!”

I’d recognise that voice anywhere.

I am so busted.

o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

It is so not fair.

All right – I had been just a little sore. A little weak in the knees. Even, I admit, a little dizzy, but it was nothing major. Not serious enough to warrant all that prodding and poking, and those angry glares. And what possible use is having a penlight shone in your eyes when you have a stomach wound?

Confined to my quarters, and only because Fraiser knew that I would make her life hell if she tried to keep me in the infirmary.

I got no help from my so-called friends.

Hammond tried to look sympathetic, but I could see the smile hiding behind his understanding words.

Daniel has avoided me since I won the fifth game of chess.

Teal’c brought me several cups of jello and smirked. God knows what that was about.

The only person who wanted to stay was Carter. I described the flight home in loving detail, and we were just getting into a discussion on the technical side of things when she was called back to her lab.

I’m not a little kid.

I can’t be told to go to my room.

The buzz of the phone interrupted my fit of pique.

“General O’Neill? It’s Sergeant Morley here. You asked me to tell you when we were next meeting. We have arranged to shoot in half an hour, sir, and I was wondering if you would like to join us?”

I knew that if I looked in the mirror now I would see a very large, very wicked grin on my face.

“I’ll be right up, Sergeant.”

Janet is going to be SO mad!


The End