Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Bonding With Woolsey

by Rocza
[Reviews - 1]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Bonding with Woolsey

Chapter 2

By Rocza  

The next day, I once again get ready to scout the area. As I prepare to leave, Woolsey loses his grasp on calm rationality and panics. 

"You can't leave me. Please, let's just sit tight for rescue. Please, General." 

I sigh. Damn puppy dog eyes. "I'll wait a bit, but we need to have intelligence on the area. Otherwise, the rescue may not make it to us. Besides, we need to move." 

"Why? I thought we were safe here." 

"Atlantis is enemy territory. There is no safe place on Atlantis. We need to use basic E&E. Escape and Evasion. We have escaped detection. Now, we evade contact. We need to move to ensure we are as safe as possible. That is why I need to scout the area. Now, eat." I toss a power bar his way. 

He was quiet and ate what was placed in front of him. After our silent meal, I once again make ready to scout. This time he doesn’t try to stop me. 

His quiet voice stills my movements, "I'm afraid to be alone.” No shit, Sherlock. “I'm not as strong as you are."  

Man, I don't need this. I hate giving the fear vs. courage lecture. Every time I give it, it makes me feel older. I snort, "I'm not strong. I'm stubborn… BIG difference."  

It takes him several minutes to digest that nugget before he asks, "You're afraid?" 

Inside I smile; outside I try to look indignant. "Hell, yes, I'm afraid." I pause, "I just don't let it stop me from doing what needs to be done." I gave him a gentle smile, "of course, if you tell anyone I said that, I'll deny it." 

I started to gear up again before he replied.  "And things to need to be done. We need to scout, so we can move, so we can stay alive, so we can be rescued." He laid out the details just like I knew he would. And not one was ‘cower in fear until captured.’  

"Exactly!" I got to give him credit. He caught on pretty fast. Faster than Ferretti ever did. And I honestly don’t think Kawalsky ever did. They turned out ok. Sort of. Alright, bad example. 

"How long?" he asked. My smile faded, guilty pains shot through my stomach, "As long as it takes." As long as it takes to escape. As long as it takes till Hank sends the bomb. As long as it takes to be captured and killed. I left off the details. He really didn’t need them. "As long as it takes." 

~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~ SG~~SG 

The next few days were a blur of sameness. Scout in the morning, move in the afternoon, and scrounge dinner in the evening. We even got into a routine. I go out and scout or scrounge; he forgets to hide and calls out his position. His hiding skills are a hopeless cause. 

Then the radio came alive with Lt Col Sheppard's voice. I've never been more pissed and happy at the same time. But being me, I let pissed take over. I let my lie slip. I forgot that Wolsey didn’t know about the bomb. His hurt expression tells me everything I need to know.

Way to go, O’Neill. Just kick the sad puppy now. 

The next few hours were a blur of activity and pain. Adrenaline rush from trying to open the doors and not drown. Adrenaline rush from capture and subsequent hand in the head torture. Adrenaline rush from rescue.  

Finally, with Atlantis secure, Woolsey and I were ready to go home. As we waited before the gate, I was overcome with the need to apologize. Yes, I had lied to Wolsey. I even felt bad about it.  

"Woolsey, I just wanted to say `I'm sorry' ... about not telling you about the bomb. I just ... didn't have the heart to tell you." I took a deep breath. "You did real good, ya know. Well, except for the calling out your position thing." 

Woolsey actually looked stunned, "Thanks, General, that really means a lot coming from you." 

"Well, ya know..." We watched the gate activate before us, "it was nice to have company." As we walked towards the gate, I gave him a cheeky smile, "but don't think I'm going to authorize you to lead any of my teams now."

I watched him sputter to a halt as I stepped through the event horizon.  I actually waited for him to catch up on the other side. I must be a glutton for punishment. You’d think I was sick of the guy by now. We walked to the infirmary together.

"You know, General, you're not so bad ... for someone afraid to be alone."  

This time I staggered to a halt as he flashed me a sly grin. "Good one, Woolsey." He would be alright with time. And he really wasn't so bad after all. At least the IOA meetings will be more fun now. 

~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~SG~~ SG~~SG~~SG 

END