Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

100 Years

by Lynsey Wills
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

100 Years

by Lynsey

Title: 100 Years
Author: Lynsey
Email: Lynsey.Wills@btinternet.com
Category: Future Story
Episode related: 511 Desperate Measures
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: character death
Summary: A disaster happens at the SGC resulting in Sam Carter living forever, she must defeat Apophis if she ever wants to reach peace, even if that means working with a few new team mates who remind her of her team.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

FanFiction.Net Story: 100 years

PG-13 - English - Supernatural/Romance - Reviews: 3 - Publish date: 05-31-02 - Updated: 11-26-02 storyid: 808917


A lone figure sat by the clear lake, just staring into the depths of water, her hair fell in blonde wave to her back which was covered in all black.

You might think that this figure was a teenager going through a gothic stage, but if you look more closely at the sad eyes and defeated posture you can see that she was in mourning, but if you look really hard you can see the tears falling down her angelic face, making your heartbreak.

100 years later

The figure now has a name, one her friends had made for her a century ago, Faith Carter, originally it had been more old fashioned name that she had been given, Samantha, but she didn't want to remember her existence anymore, she was still the smartest person on the planet though.

Looking at the picture she held in her left hand she felt her tears begin to fall like they had on many occasion since there deaths.

"I miss you so much" her voice cracked giving into to the sobs that threatened to wrack her petite body.

100 years before

"We have found the charmed one" a young female child chanted to herself in excitement.

The General looked at his welcoming party, SG1, with a worried expression on his face, meeting the 'Maj-janic' seemed like such a good idea at the time, they were technologically advanced although preferred to do things the 'old way'.

"I'm sorry but we have no idea what you mean" the general had apologized.

This time an old woman stepped forward to give information.

"For millennia our world have been talking about the 'Charmed One' the women with so much magical power in her that nothing could defeat her, our people have waited forever hoping to find this child, knowing that she would one day be brought to us through the magic ring, it was fate, then one year ago today a prophet during child birth had a vision of the charmed one"

Daniel just stood transfixed at the story, Jack looked a little annoyed at the 'myth' and Sam didn't like they way the story was headed, Teal'c just stood and listened.

"I'm sure that is a very interesting story but what does it have to do with us?" the General asked

"They think Carters the 'Charmed one ' Sir" Daniel was quite amazed that Jack had picked up on that before he had, but then again when something had something to do with Sam, he was a very quick study.

"Indeed we do Colonel O’Neill" The Old women spoke.

"This is ridiculous" Sam through caution into the wind, she refused to let some 'alien' come into there world accusing her of being a witch!

"Major Carter, what about your mother?" the general asked in quiet tones knowing that her mother was a sore subject for conversation.

"She believed in witches and all, didn't mean she was one" the woman pleaded like a child.

"Please Major, read this, then we will find out if it is you or not" after some badgering from her friends and CO'S She finally gave in.

"This is to be the charmed Ones Magic book, all the spells that you will ever need is in here"

"But I won't need them because it's not me"

"Please read this"

"If I am the charmed One

Let it be known

I have my power which cannot be overthrown

I will live forever trying to make peace when I succeed

I will be free"

The moment the last word was spoken a great light entered the room, and instead of Sam Carter in her dress blues, there stood a younger Sam with long blonde hair and wearing a white medieval dress, looking completely shocked.

"Oh you have got to be kidding" she shouted at no one in particular.

Everyone just stood in shock, until the klaxons rang.

Gate activated, Iris has been compromised SG1 ran as fast as they could towards the 'gate room.

Once there they saw one of the most horrifying scenes of their life, nearly every SG team was lying on the floor, dead.

"Oh God" Sam stuttered feeling her co pull her into his arms trying to save her the sight, but it had been too late, she had seen the destruction, she had to admit to herself that this was one of the downsides to being a women, no matter how much of a tomboy you were you'd still get emotional at these sights.

"Old Crone, I see you have finally found your 'Charmed one'"

"Don't you ever just die?” Jack snapped at the gou'ald Apophis, his arm still around Sam, he seemed to do that a lot since the Zatarc thing.

"No, a bit like your female companion here, I hear the charmed one is immortal"

Sam's face paled

"WHAT!!!!!" She glared at the old woman, not noticing the fact that the little girl had disappeared.

"So I can kill your friends and leave you in complete torture"

O’Neill really wanted to wipe the smile off his face

Before anyone could react 50 jaffa came through the gate, and attacked on the team and General.

"Armory!" O’Neill shouted to his team, running as fast as they could and making sure Daniel remained alive, which had become a habit seeing as the boy could get himself into scrape easily.

In the armoury they found that it was nearly completely empty, while they had been talking to their new allies the other teams had prepared and been killed in battle.

"What’s going on?" Sam ran to her friend

"Janet, we're under attack, grab Cassie and get out" the General seconded that order, she left.

"Right, Carter here's the hand device, Teal'c your staff, Danny a gun, myself and General Hammond a bigger gun."

Sam put the hand device on, feeling the weight and power when she did, hating all of it.

The group didn't have to leave the armoury before they found their enemy, and were left without ammo.

Sam's use of the hand weapon had caused some serious damage to the opposition, but gradually the fight had become too much and the weapon drained her energy, O’Neill, Hammond and Daniel had run out of ammo and were being forced to kneel in front of Apophis, and Teal'c was dead.

"Hmm, After all the plans you have ruined, this was easy, to have the great SG1 bowing at my feet, to know that one of those members will live forever with the pain and guilt of your deaths is just an added bonus"

"Yeah, we love you too"

Really Jack, at any time sarcasm seems to be the best you can come up with, Sam thought to herself.

"Now who shall be the first to die?" without even thinking twice he raised the staff weapon and shot Daniel, he was dead instantly.

"It was his fault in the first place that you became a problem"

His voice dripped with pure happiness

"General Hammond, many a day I thought about the pain you had placed upon my shoulders when I had asked for asylum" Bang, Dead.

Sam felt the tears fall , and Jack’s hand come out to hold hers she looked at his face and he lip sync 'I Love You' she did this back before he died in her arms.

"Noooo" She screamed, holding onto him for dear life, trying to will his life back, but nothing happened.

"Let this be a lesson to you Tau'ri, we shall be back and more powerful than you can ever imagine to destroy your world" The swarm of Jaffa left with their leader, leaving a broken woman with her dead family.

"Oh Jack" lifting herself away from the dead man, she felt something tangle with her fingers, looking down at her hand she saw a silver chain, with a heart shaped locket.

Finally freeing herself of it she took a closer look, having to wipe the falling tears away from her blinded eyes.

'Sam

I'll love you for eternity

Never forget me

Jack.

Sam fell to her knees in despair, he must have been going to give this to her on her birthday next week.

She sat there staring at the inscription and the lock of his hair that sat behind a mall piece of glass.

She stayed there by her teammates' sides, just crying and wishing for death, for other a week. That’s when the pentagon sent an elite team to see if anything had gone wrong, to find a young woman crying her eyes out next to five men, they knew that the day SG1 died, the remainder of Samantha Carter had died with them.

No one knew though what had happened to the old women and the child, no one really wanted to think about it.

Or how an old jeweled book had appeared out of nowhere to be given to Samantha Carter.

All anyone knew was that the legendary SG1 had finally fallen left an empty shell of pain behind.

Hundred years later

Walking away from the clear lake the women made her way towards the cabin, Moonlight filling her path, she stopped and looked up at the stars in the clear dark sky with such betrayal in her eyes, like the stars had committed the crime on her heart and soul.

Inside the cabin she look off her long black coat, letting the open fire warm up her skin, although it could do nothing for her cold heart.

walking over to the mantle she looked at the pictures of her friends and the family, it was not long after the 'incident' that she had learned her father had been killed by a Gou'ald spy, her brother died over 60 years ago and so had his children.

She had no family left anymore, she was alone.

The Knock at the door almost made her drop the photo in her hand, her favourite one, of the birthday before they had all died, a day of happiness, even Cassie and Janet were there, they had been killed by the Jaffa guarding all the exits, where Sam had sent them to be 'safe' but she had sent them to die.

The door was knocked again, she placed the picture back onto the mantle gently and went to answer the door.

"What?" she snapped at the uniformed man standing in front of her, soaking wet from the rain that had just started to fall.

"Major Carter?" she slammed the door in his face.

She had been wondering for quite a while when the SGC would want her expertise again, when they would need her, well she wasn't interested, not in the SGC and definitely not in re-joining, Major Carter was dead, end of discussion.

"Please Major! It’s pouring with rain" the man shouted through her window.

She tried her best to ignore him, but he was very persistent and wet, she gave in, soon he would be kicked out of the door anyway.

"Come in” she opened the door to him, making him mildly surprised.

"Your kindness was not an understatement" his sarcasm almost burnt her ears.

"Yeah well, what can I say your charm was beginning to piss me off" never being one to really swear she shocked herself by saying that.

His face went a little red from embarrassment.

"Are you just going to stand there all day? Or are you going to introduce yourself?" she snapped, he was really beginning to irritate her.

"Colonel James Bass, so I'll ask you to talk to me with a little more respect Major" he was throwing his rank around, what a shit head.

"I don't give a flying fuck what you think James, I’m retired have been for the past century as you probably already know, so don't expect me to give respect to a man I don't even know"

She smiled at his expression, she could see that he was not used to anyone talking to him in such a way.

"I have been sent here by General Davies, he wishes for you to rejoin the SGC and the new SG1" the last part of what he said made her blood run cold.

"New SG1?" She felt betrayed, no one could take over the originals, no one could be as good or as brave, loonies.

"Tell me James, whose brainiac idea was it to form a new team 1?"

"The presidents"

She laughed, a cold laugh, making the colonel shiver

"The president? He’s only just been elected and been told about the project and he's already made the decision? What is he nuts?" she said still laughing, although colonel Bass was finding it hard to see the funny side.

"I am to be the leader" he informed her, she laughed even harder, falling onto the couch.

"What is so funny?" his annoyance rang in her ears.

"The whole situation, I'd like this new team could last five minutes"

"You only lasted five years" before he could blink she was in front of him, his face burned, she had slapped him.

"We were the longest lasting team ever, the best, there'll never be no other like it, you could say we were charmed"

He just looked at her.

"Then what happened? The moment the bad guys came through the gate you were all annihilated" from that moment on she knew that she hated that word.

"Goodbye, Colonel James" before he knew what had happened he was standing outside in the poring rain.

Sam sat in her comfy chair, thinking about the behaviour she had lately.

True she hadn't been around any other human beings in the past two years so her people skills were maybe a little off.

"Just let me talk to you:" James Bass shouted through the window again.

"Oh I really want to hurt that man" she muttered to herself before using her magic to pop him into the room, completely dry and warm.

"You have one hour" she said before turning the page of her book..

"Right, well there are three other members,ummm myself as leader" he gave a proud smile, Faith rolled her eyes.

"An Archaeologist Dr Amy Hart, she's a bit of a geek but hey"

"Sounds familiar” another turn if her page.

"And Rya’c" the book fell onto the wooden floor.

"As in Teal'c's son?" he nodded and she thought hard.

"Your recreating the originals" she accused, he nodded again.

"And we wish for you to be the 4th member"

"Why?"

"We've read every report on, about SG1 and you’re a crucial part, please" the moment their eyes met James could see the pain in them.

"You may have read the reports but you haven't lived them" she went to pick her book up but James stopped her and held it above her head, even when she jumped she couldn't reach, damn he was tall.

"Then tell me" she sighed and gave in.

"Bring the 'team' up here for a week and I'll teach you everything I know, goodnight" he disappeared, her book fell to the floor.

Next day

"I can't believe we're going to meet the Samantha Carter!!!" Amy squealed in the backseat of the military jeep.

"I am also anxious to see one of my fathers greatest friends, I have not seen her in so long myself" everyone knew that Rya’c had already met the Major but didn't ask for any information on her.

"What was she like?: Amy asked James.

His face turned to a bit of a grimace.

"Oh you know"

"No I don't"

"She’s a Bitch" the two humans were sure that they heard Rya’c growl at his name calling, and didn't say anything until they reached the cabin.

Pulling out their overnight bags just incase they walked to the front door, what once was the front door was now only a wall, the entire cabin was"

"What the..."James curse was interrupted..

"You wanna be SG1, Then think like SG1" looking up to the roof the three flabbergasted people saw a tall blonde figure smiling.

"How are we meant to do that?"

"Well if you want in, find a way" she disappeared.

"I am really starting to dislike that women" James just glared at Rya’c when he heard him growl.

"Hey guys!!! Over here, I found some kind of ancient writing, maybe a way to help us get into the cabin.

Sam didn't want to stay in that cabin no longer, so decided to make herself invisible and see how the three stooges were doing.

What she found made her want to fall into fits of giggles.

Obviously Amy had read the inscription wrong, cause what she was witnessing was made for a comedy group, not SG1.

"I knew the ancients writing would be too hard for her" she told herself off mentally.

"Umdra" the door appeared in front of the trio, making them excited and proud to have found the entrance, before they could finish congratulating Amy for her language skill Faith decided to interrupt.

"I thought you said she was a talented and smart archaeologist, that she had been prepared for everything!" Faith shouted at the colonel.

"She opened the door didn't she?" she couldn't wait to someday knock that smug look off of his face.

"No!! That’s the problem, she didn't even know the Ancients language, she thought it was advanced Greek"

Faces fell at the realization that the plan had not worked.

"Just go inside" they did as they were told, leaving Faith outside, completely visible, annoyed and guilty.

She'd have to remedy their understanding of languages and other tactics, this could take a while.

"I thought we had it, the way to get inside, I feel like such a fool" the sound of Amy's defeat made Faith feel even more guilty, shit she thought to herself, why did they have to come now? she was doing fine by herself, in her self pity, crying every night and trying her hardest to find a spell to bring her friends back, but nothing.

"Look, I want to you to leave, go home grab what you will need for at least a year, you will be staying here with me, I'll train you and teach you what you will need to know" Amy seemed to brighten up at this, a chance to stay with the great Major but the colonel didn't look all too pleased.

"May I stay here with you Major Carter?" Faith felt herself smile, she hadn't done that in so long.

"Sure Rya’c"

"What about General Davies?" the colonel finally spoke up, he knew that the General would not let this pain in the ass order them around, to keep them up on a mountain for a year.

"I'll deal with him"

"Operator"

"SGC"

"I'm sorry I have no registering for that" the overly perky voice informed her

"Listen Girly, give me the SGC, or it's your job or your life?" she immediately heard the connecting tone.

"General Davies here, whom is this?"

"You know Damned well who"

"Major Carter...."

"Skip the pleasantries, I need the next SG1'S to stay up here with me for a year."

"Excuse me?

"I don't know what you call preparing these people to become SG1 but whatever it was is going to get them killed, so I will train them."

The phone was slammed down.

Three days later

Amy Hart ran to the jeep parked in front of her apartment, well, now old apartment, her landlord wouldn't let her live away for a year without paying for it, saying that there were many wiling people who would pay good money for it, he wasn't wrong.

So now her furniture was in a storage locker, and the things that she could take were in one trunk, one which Colonel Bass was complaining about at that moment.

"Damn Amy, what’s in here? Bricks?"

"It might help Major Carter build another obstacle course"

Bass glared at her for a moment, he was not happy about this arrangement at all, when he had arrived back at base to try and reason with the general, saying that this 'women' had no right what so ever in what happened, that she had been rude to himself and his commanding officer, the General just laughed, saying that she was the best and if he wanted to be up to her standard then he was going to have to put up with it, he made it an order.

"Let’s hope we don't have to repeat that" he muttered.

The pair had been traveling for a few hours now, the radio blaring the latest Pop songs.

"How is Rya’c getting there?" Amy asked, sick of the silence.

"He left yesterday"

" So Rya’c, how are you?" Faith passed the man a mug of coffee and sat in front of him.

"I am well, yourself?"

Faith hated small talk, that’s why she had avoided the entire human population for the past two years, talking had finally worn thin with her, she would talk, maybe become friends with them, then her memory would remind her of what had happened the last time, then she would avoid them, maybe see them a few decades later, older and more forgetful, sometimes they would recognize her then convince themselves that she was maybe the daughter of the woman they had once known, not wanting to admit that maybe this was the same girl.

"Major Carter? Are you unwell?" Faith snapped out of her thoughts, to see the worried expression of the young Jaffa.

"Major Carter is dead, I wish people would remember that, my name is Faith, please call me by this" she stood, her inner walls raising themselves again.

"But you were given the name Samantha were you not?"

"That was a long time ago, a different woman was alive then, I'm not alive, I am just here"

Rya’c was confused by this, not understanding what she meant by this.

"Hello? Anyone here?"

Faith rolled her eyes, the cavalry were here, yippee.

"What do you think?" her sarcastic tone echoed in the air, she heard James cursing Amy for packing so much.

"All you had to do is ask, and I shall assist you" Rya’c said, walking over to his companions, and picking up the offending piece if luggage.

"You can pick any room but the one on the end, that one is mine" she bellowed after them.

2 hours later the guests were settled and decided to raid the kitchen, only to find the kitchen table lain out with food and a glass of white wine each.

"Welcome to my home, there is one rule and one rule only, you DO NOT go anywhere near or in my room or the basement, do you understand?"

They nodded they're heads, and she left the room only to come back with a mountain of paper.

" These are reports from SG1, I know that you have read them but I want you to read them again, in a few weeks I will test your knowledge" Colonel Bass stood up in anger.

"You cannot continue to boss us around, we are the best and we will always be seen that way!! We were chosen for our expertise! So that must mean one thing, and I am not just going to sit here with a woman who should have died years ago and be told what to do!!"

"You think that you are the best? You really believe that? Then you are a bigger fool than I thought, do you not think that I have tried every method to end this miserable existence? and I mean every way, this time maybe technologically more advanced but that does not mean a thing, we were the best because we worked at it, we were in tune with one another, If one was in need then the others needed help we were there, we did everything together, that’s what you lack, you need to be one unit, not a commanding officer, an archaeologist and a jaffa, you need more! "

She left the room, not caring whether he left or not, if he wasn't willing then she would call the general and have him replaced, it was her right, he had agreed to let them come here and learn, that’s what they wanted as well.

Waling out into the stars and to the lake Faith laid down next to the water and made herself invisible, not wanting to be disturbed.

The group didn't know what she was, a witch, when she had made Bass disappear she had manipulated his mind to think that he had walked out, he probably wouldn't think anything of it anyway, he didn't seem to care about anything.

Looking up at the stars she felt her eyes sting, this was view that Jack had wanted to show her so much when he was a live, she still couldn't believe that he had left her this cabin and the land that came with it to her, he was that determined.

Closing her eyes she began to drift into sleep.

"Hey Sam!! You coming?" The major grinned and ran to her friend, his glasses were all bent out of shape.

"Daniel, you promised that you weren't going to fall a sleep at your desk again!" she pestered.

"Sorry, I didn't plan to" he slung his arm around her and they went to the car park for her car, they were spending the night at the colonels to play poker and drink, they're usual recreational habit when they were off duty.

It was funny, even though they saw each other nearly every part of the day and were on the same team, they still met and talked in they're free time, they did nearly everything together, and they loved every minute that was spent with one another, they were family.

They traveled, talking they're normal banter, about what they had just read and what they were planning to do when they went back to the base.

When they were at Jack's house for at least an hour, Sam began to feel like something was wrong, that this wasn't completely wrong, this wasn't where she was meant to be, or it had already happened.

"Hey Faith, you going to add you money or not?" Jacks cheeky voice slapped away her Deja Vu feeling, and smiled at the nick name her team had bestowed upon her, well Jack had given her, Faith, he had started calling her it after the Endora incident, he said that he always had faith in her, they all did, and that no matter what, she was the one that held the faith and hope in the team.

"When I am ......" her voice faded, the room seemed to become dark and shadowed, her blood ran cold, her friends seem to be kneeling in front of her, she stood and looked at them.

"What are you doing?"

Tears began to fall down her friends eyes, she couldn’t hold them in anymore, she began to cry too.

"Why are you crying? What’s wrong? Why won't you get up?" she screamed the last question, it was as though they couldn't hear her, that they didn't feel her presence.

"They are dead, you know that" she turned and screamed when she saw the 'thing' that she hated more than anyone or anything in the world, universe or soul.

"You bastard, why won't you just die!?!" she grabbed her gun, realizing that she was in her uniform, the old SG1 uniform, the clothes that made her feel more comfortable than any civvies could, they made her feel like she was home.

"I could say the same to you" he chuckled, something was different about him, his face was the same, his clothes were different, he seemed to add more color to his wardrobe, namely red.

There was something else though, humanity, boredom, that was it, he was more human.

"I haven't had a good challenge since vanquishing your friends, I do miss the constant thorn in my side, I wish I could just do it again, kill them over and over, that would be marvelous"

Her anger flared and she raised her hands to throw a fire ball at him, it did nothing, just as she was afraid it would, he just stood there a smug as always.

"I guess I shall just have to settle for watching it in your nightmares, that is just as rewarding, don't you think so?" he walked around her, behind him she saw her friends, dead.

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Faith sat up screaming, looking at her hands, checking for blood and only found water.

" You bastard!! I will not let you haunt me!! When I see you I will kill you, I'm sure you would like to know what the sting of an ashrak feels like! Or perhaps I will just cut you into small pieces and make you live through it until the last possible moment!!. Either way YOU WILL NOT HAUNT ME!!!"

"I think who ever it was got the message"

Faith jumped, automatically freezing the person in time.

Turning around she found Colonel Bass, with an apologetic face on, Amy had obviously been talking to him, she seemed to be eager for them to become friends and the hopefully team mates.

She reminded her so much of Daniel, always the peace maker, who wanted everyone to 'just get along'. It hurt.

Quickly wiping away the tears, hoping that she didn't look like her bitch resolve had been broken.

She unfroze him.

"Listen I am sorry about what I said, it's just next week it's Christmas, and at this time of year I am reminded of how little, well, ok no family I have to share it with, I get protective, I suppose when You just made this all happen I was angry because you didn't once ask if we had family that should be contacted or anything"

Faith accepted this.

"It doesn't matter, I know that I am not the best person to get a long with, I should know, I find it hard to get a long with myself"

He outstretched his hand.

"I think we should call a truce, at least for now, after all, we are going to be spending a year together, I would at least like to get a long in that time" He smiled, she smiled back, he wasn't as much of an ass hole as she was lead to believe in the past.

She shook his hand” This is why you are here, to make this your family"

The next day Faith had made the team run around the lake six times, which was a cinch for them, the lake was six mile in perimeter, it proved they were fit.

"Tomorrow you will go around seven times, and so on and so forth" no one disagreed.

In the afternoon, they had gone over tactics and past ones used, the evenings Faith left to them, she would give them some free time, it was only fair, she needed some herself.

Making sure no one could see where she was going Faith crept to the basement and unlocked the door.

It was pitch black inside, until she closed the door, the candle flickered a light everywhere, the room was full of them, it was all that illuminated the room.

In the middle was a stand, holding her jeweled book.

Opening it to the first page she read the inscription.

Samantha Prudence Piper Carter,

The Charmed One

Destiny awaits.........

She hated the inscription, it felt like all her life was in that book, that it was all she needed to get through in this big awful world, it wasn't.

She looked at her name, no, HER name, not hers, it wasn't hers anymore.

Looking down at the ridiculous middle names her parents had given the child.

Prudence, for her great grandmother, who attended the Salem witch trials, which was quite some time ago now, and Piper, after her elder sister who had died at child birth, it still stung to think about her, that she had an elder sister, who she could have loved and been loved by, perhaps if she had lived then she wouldn't have given into the military and had all this crap happen.

Love, even though she never had a chance to meet or get to know her she still loved her, she was the only thing Faith wasn't angry at, she couldn't be.

Perhaps it was good that she didn't have life, that way Faith didn't have to add another person to the list that she painfully missed.

She remembered when the colonel had found out her middle names and tortured her with them, calling her Prudence whenever he could, when they were in the boxing ring just practicing, he had called her Piper, and said that it was such a strange name, no-one should be given the indignity of having that name.

She had knocked him out, her temper had gotten the better if her, he had deserved it, no matter how guilty she might have felt then, which wasn't much, Janet had given him a big needle injection, she knew about Piper, and knew how angry I had been, he never mentioned it ever again, until nearly a year later when he had apologized, apparently he had told Dad about the incident and he had 'explained' why she was testy about that subject.

Growing up her mother would call her Prue, because Samantha was her father's idea, and seeing as he was away with his job so much he could say any different.

Shaking away her thoughts angrily, she didn’t want memories, they didn't feel like her own anymore, she shouldn't even be alive anyway, she should have died less then a century ago, they were no longer memories, memories were meant to expire, these were going to be with her forever.

Looking through the book angrily she was too stressed to do anything productive.

Storming up the stairs and into the living room, where her guests were sitting watching that dreaded box, well ok, it was a hologram broadcast, but she still thought if it as a t.v.

She hated this, she wanted to remember, yet she didn't, these memories were needed to help these people in front of her, but at times she was infuriated to be referred to as major carter, she had to draw the line somewhere, for now she would be her, but not with her name, she didn't want to be called by her name, it was too much.

Faith was also a sore reminder, perhaps she needed a new identity, a new name, it would be fair for the others at least, she wouldn't feel like hitting them every time that they called her by it.

"Major?"

"Hart, call me Faith or something, just not how you know me from the history books, I can't handle it ok? I'm not her anymore, I'm not anyone"

Amy sat next to her teacher, not speaking a word, slightly afraid at what to say, after all, from the short time that she had spent with this woman she had found her to be slightly unstable at times, and didn't want to send her over the edge.

"Are you ok?" she finally asked, waiting for her head to be snapped off from her shoulders, or worse, her 'commanding officer' would call the general and have her taken off the program, one word from her and he wouldn't even ask questions.

"I think I'm having an identity crisis"

This wasn't the answer that Amy was expecting, but it was better than a harsh word, although not by much.

"How do you mean?"

"It doesn't matter, nothing does anymore, I suggest you all go to sleep, tomorrow I'm going to throw in some self defense, and maybe a few weapons training"

Standing, Faith made her way to her bedroom, switching a few lights off along the way.

She ignored the looks the men were giving her, especially the colonels, after all they had only just established a strange and weak friendship and she couldn't quite read him, he held a look of worry yet annoyance at the same time.

Locking the door behind her she immediately went to the balcony .

"Flight hear my plight" feeling the air around her become lighter she felt her body being lifted into the night.

The next morning Amy had made breakfast, pancakes and all, talk about being a people pleaser.

"Morning"

"What time did you get up this morning?" she was surprised, she was normally the first up.

"About 4, I couldn't sleep" placing some freshly squeezed orange juice beside her Faiths mind began to wonder.

"Sam? You awake?" Daniel prodded his friend while they were at his dinner table, laying down a stack of pancakes in front of her and his other friends and co-workers.

'"What makes you think I was asleep?" she questioned.

"The warm drool on my table"

She looked a little sheepish and wiped the offending bodily fluid from the table.

"It's all those stories you tell us Daniel, it just took longer to get to Sam than it did the rest of us" even Teal'c held a slight smile at the joke.

"That’s because Sam sees the intellectual side of my stories" Jack lost his smile, the rest laughed, Daniel had was becoming better at replying to Jack’s little digs, much to Jacks dismay, although he had to admit he was pretty proud.

Reaching for the maple syrup, Sam’s hand collided with her CO's, they both recoiled looking at the offending body parts, this is how it had been for a while now, after the Zat'arc incident, well, that’s what the others thought, really it was because Sam and Jack had been dating since then, the general knew, but they weren't ready to tell their friends yet, in a while they would but not now.

"The next time they would find out though was when they arrived at Sam’s house, told to dress formal, to find a minister, a great number of chairs and an arch of flowers.

"What are you trying to tell us?" Janet had joked when she had arrived, true she had suspected something was going on between her two friends, but she hadn't realized how serious it had become.

Daniel was the best man, Janet the maid of honor, Sam's dad had some home and gave her away, the general had become ring barer, and Cassie (who had known what was going on from the start) was bridesmaid.

Everything had been perfect that day, the weather had been beautiful, the music really spoke what the couple had been thinking, and everyone was happy to see that the SGC's favourite 'couple' had finally gotten their act together.

These would be the happiest days of her life, if only she had known sooner, she may have been able to prevent loosing them.

"Faith? You ok?"

Shaking her head slightly the blonde woman realized that she had been staring at the wall for the past ten minutes, looking down she also found that her plate had been filled with eggs, bacon, the lot, suddenly finding her stomach protesting to the sight of it she excused herself, making the chef feel at a loss, this had been her plan of making the older woman relax, to open up, and show her that no matter what she would always have someone who wanted to be her friend when she felt alone, obviously it was going to take more than breakfast.

Welcoming the fresh air that enveloped her when walking out of the door, this was what she needed, not some huge breakfast, although she really had appreciated the gesture, not many people would have made all that at four in the morning for anyone, especially for three other people, this was another way that Amy reminded her of Daniel, he would do things like this, to cheer everyone up, perhaps she could trust her, talk to her.

"You hurt her feelings you know" Whirling round she found the colonel behind her, dressed in a warm jumper and khaki trousers, he looked charming, not that she thought so.

"I'll make it up to her" suddenly feeling the cold she decided to leave the cabin for a run, she would have done it earlier but the guys had already been, what was it with people and getting up earlier than her this morning? Was this some weird parallel universe? She wished.

Taking her jumper off and pulling her tank top over her trousers and tying her hair back she took her favourite path, forgetting about the man she had left behind, standing in the porch.

The air held a slight drizzle, making it refreshing for the female jogger, after three mile she bent down to tie her shoe lace, not wanting to trip and make a complete fool out of herself when the colonel was following her, surely her didn't think that after all of the years she had spent in the air force she didn't pick up a few senses, it also helped that she had the 'powers' which heightened them.

After starting up again she increased her pace, if he was following her then she was not going to make it easy.

"Faster my feet shall go, to make those who are slow, to go."

The spell caused her to shoot five miles ahead, leaving a very confused colonel jogging behind the trees.

Stopping to catch her breath at the opposite end of the lake, she sat right at the edge of the bank, letting the water caress her knees, true the water was ice-cold, but that was not the point, it was contact, something which was had lacked in the past 100 years, and only now with her 'guests' she had only come in close contact with them about once or twice.

It's not that she was shy, it was the last person she had really touched was her husband, when he laid there cold and motionless, his life finished, and even now she could not shake the feeling, and she knew that she never would, and maybe never wanted to, after all, it was one way to remember holding him, it was better than nothing.

A twig snapped, obviously her 'friend' had caught up to her, and by the sounds of the deep breaths he was taking in he was knackered, he fell next to her, sinking his head deep into the water, coming out gassing.

"Fancy meeting you here" She cracked, knowing full well that he was not in the joking mood.

Noticing that humor was not going to bring him into a conversation she immediately resorted back to bitch mode.

"Why were you following me?" after a few more gasps he answered.

"How are we supposed to trust you when you are hiding a secret?"

"I don't know what you mean" standing he grabbed her wrist, she reacted.

He was on the floor before he could blink..

"Never touch me" she let him go, proving her point, he may not have known it but it was for his own protection, after all, anyone she touched some how came to die, she learned that the hard way.

Standing he stormed after her, she continued to stalk off.

"Why? Why do you have this wall around you? We have been here for over a month now, I thought that we had grown in this short time together, we are trying to be a team, you friends, but you keep pushing us away! Amy worships the ground you walk on! Rya’c respects you so much, but he can't help comparing you to the woman that he had started to love as family, and me, you wanna know what I think? well, I thought that you were going to be the warm and friendly woman that I had heard so much about, my god in the SGC you are the saint, the angel of it all, I am beginning to wonder whether the stories of your kindness, generosity and friendship is just a myth! I know that you have had a hard life, and that you refuse to except yourself as major carter anymore, and I sort of understand this, but you cannot close yourself off to all those around you anymore, we are here, we are now, learn to live in the present and not the past, my god if you weren't so dammed beautiful I would knock you smack you around the face.." his face flushed when he realized what he had said, and Faiths face was pale, she didn't need this.

For the second time since she met him he ended up with a sore face, from having her hand make connect with it.

"Don't you ever, ever talk to me like that again, I have my reasons, and you have no right to pry" he was getting to her, he could tell.

"Well, I'm making it my business, you go on about how you and your team were the closest there was, obviously you had to know each other well, so well that you knew each others most darkest secrets, something that they wouldn’t tell anybody if they weren't afraid that one day your days were going to end that day, knowing that they would die before revealing, well guess what? We have them as well, you brought us here to teach us how to be a close team, like yours once was, well how can we be when you are holding back? You are a key member to this team so start acting like it"

"I never asked to be a key member, I don't want to be! Look what happened last time, they are dead! You understand that? the people that meant everything in the world to me are gone, and I will probably never see them again, all because of this damned curse, because I am meant to be special, well if I am so damned special then why is it that every time I come in contact with some, become involved with them in anyway they die? My friends, my family, Martouf, Orlin, Nareem? Do you want to know why I keep pushing Amy away? Because she remind me of Daniel, and believe me that is a compliment, and Rya’c is so much like his father it's strange, I have to bite my tongue to stop me calling him it, and you, you remind me of Jack, your stubborn and pig headed and to tell you the truth my heart cannot take it anymore!"

After a few minutes of staring at one another he began moving towards her slowly, seeing the tears cascading down her face, pain finally showing through her barrier, reaching out her and pulling her into a hug, she stood as stiff as a board for a while, not knowing how to react to this kind of contact, since out of practice.

Finally she gave into the warmth, and cried harder, 100 years of pain finally taking its toll, and that is how they stayed for over two hours.

"I'm sorry" she croaked, wiping the wet patches on his top, he had become her human tissue, and he hadn't minded one bit, not that he would admit it, after all, he had a reputation to keep.

"It's ok, it's just nice to know that there is human being under all those layers" she gave a weak smile, starting to feel like herself, her real self.

"Come on, we better get back" puling her to her feet he ignored the pleasant feeling of having her near, how her hair smelled like lavender and Roses, how her small frame would fit perfectly with his tall slightly muscled self.

Pulling on his hand to make him stop, he looked at her questionably, taking his other hand in hers, he started to lean in towards her.
    * Uh oh, he's getting the wrong signals*

He noticed her face begin to scrunch in concentration, and then the air swirled around him, until he realized that they were back at the cabin.

"We all have are dark secrets" she left him standing there in shock at what had just happened.

A few weeks later Christmas arrived, and Sam gave them some chocolates and a promise that she was going to try and be nicer, James had barely spoken to her since she 'revealed' that part of herself to him, and Rya’c had stuck to Faith like glue recently, worried about her in his own quiet way.

The guests gave her a book on Egypt ( from Amy) thinking that one day the woman could go through the similarities and differences of the people and compare it to the system lords and such, Faith had promised her this, still feeling slightly guilty about the breakfast thing.

Rya'c gave her a knife, encrusted with her initials in sapphires, saying his father had made it for her the last time he had visited his family, wanting it to be a surprise for her birthday, obviously he never had the chance to so he thought that he would do him a favour, and he thought it would be perfect for his 'Godmother' as Teal'c had referred to the blonde major many years ago when the big Jaffa had asked his teammates to be apart of his sons life, if anything were to happen to him and Drey'auc then the team were to have custody of the then boy.

James had given everyone a holomovie, Amy was given the Mummy Returns, apparently she was a huge ancient movie buff and the fact that it was about Egypt made the bargain even better, Rya'c received a book on Fishing, seeing as it was one of his favourite hobbies, unlike his father, and she had gotten one of Daniel's old journals


If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lynsey