Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Walk in the Park, A

by Lori
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Walk in the Park

A Walk in the Park

by Lori

TITLE: A Walk in the Park
AUTHOR:Lori
EMAIL: lordav@netonecom.net
CATEGORY: Crossover (MacGyver), Romance (Sam/MacGyver, Jack O'Neill)
SPOILERS:
SEASON / SEQUEL: Takes place immediately after "Solitudes."
RATING: PG-13 (an NC-17 version is available in the adult section)
CONTENT WARNINGS:
SUMMARY: MacGyver meets Sam Carter in while she is on leave. MacGyver's son, SAM is with them as well as other characters from MacGyver.
ARCHIVE: Yes please.
DISCLAIMER: The series "STARGATE SG-1" including the characters, names, titles, and back story, are the sole copyright property of MGM, Gekko Film Corp.,Glassner/Wright Double Secret Productions. This fictional story is not intended as an infringement upon those rights and solely meant for entertainment. This story property of the author.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: MacGyver's son, SAM is with them as well as other characters from MacGyver. Comments welcome. Please, e-mail me at: lordav@netonecom.net

It was a beautiful spring day in California, Sam Carter had decided to take her much needed vacation with her brother and his family. It was the perfect chance to see Cassandra again. Her brother and wife had decided to adopt Cassandra at Sam's request, after all they already had two kids. The kids had been asking for days if they could all go to Disneyland and today was finally the day.

At MacGyver's loft in LA, he was tensely awaiting the arrival of his son SAM and his new girlfriend Lisa Woodman from the airport. Mac had know Lisa for years they had been very good friends and when SAM first arrived she was the most accepting, she loved the idea of Mac being a dad. She even had said more than once that SAM felt like a brother to her. But things had changed in the last 2 weeks when SAM had run into her in NY. They had called Mac last night, to tell Mac they were a couple and on there way home. He tried not to ask to many questions, he did not want to pry or sound disapproving. Although he did, he wanted to know everything, he wanted to remind Lisa how many girlfriends SAM's had, how sweet and innocent Lisa is or was. He just felt it was wrong, "like a brother " rang through his head over and over. He decided that he needed a major distraction to keep from going crazy. They made plans to go to Disneyland.

The park wasn't too crowded and Mac was feeling better about SAM and Lisa. They had been holding hands all morning (pretty innocent, cute even). After several rides, Mac managed to become separated from them. He started to worry that without him around things might not be so 'innocent'. He had an undying fear of turning the corner to see them in the throws of passion. He decided to try and shake the image and gets something cool to drink while looking for them.

He began calling out "SAM, SAM!"

A young beautiful woman, blonde in her late twenties, spun around as she heard her name being called. She too was separated from her group. At once she realized it was not her brother, but was still curious after all he has very good looking, tall, slightly older, with long blonde hair. He looked the opposite of everyone she met in the air force.

"SAM!"

She decided to respond. "I'm Sam where you looking for me?" Mac was taken off guard he never expected girls to be interested in him.

"Names MacGyver. I was looking for my son." Sam knew the name she had seen it many times when doing research in the Phoenix data bank. She was even more interested, all this and a mind too.

"Do you work for the work for the Phoenix Foundation?" She asked, seeing he was in shock. She added, "I'm Dr.. Samantha Carter, theoretic astrophysics. I've done some research in your data bank. I was very impressed."

He was in shock, (she was impressed) he was at a loss of words he knew he had to say something, how often does this happen. He was sure it never happened to him.

Sam was starting to worry he hadn't said anything, maybe he was worried about his son and wife? "Is your son very young, maybe your wife found him?"

"HUH, what? NO," even more in shock stammering said, "He's okay he can take of himself, he's with his girlfriend, not my. A... I don't...a.... I'm not...."

Sam broke in, "Oh that's nice," she could have kicked herself how stupid. When she saw him smile she could not resist, she smiled back.

SAM and Lisa saw Mac talking with a pretty girl in the distance, "That's good maybe he will stop worrying about us lets go check her out," he said. As they approached he could hear idle chatter, that was a good sign, he often felt his dad was too shy.

After a moment Mac spotted them and made the proper introductions.

Just then Cassandra ran up and put her arms around Sam. "You have a kid? Cool." SAM asked.

"Oh, no she's my niece, Cassandra."

"He looks like Jack except for the hair," Cassandra added, "He has none." Sam was intrigued by this and could not stop examining Mac's face for similarities.

"They say everyone has twin and to think yours is bald." SAM said knowing his dad's hair was very important to him. He jabbed Mac with his elbow. Mac turned and looked at him as if to say 'knock it off, kid'.

"Oh Jack has hair it is just very short."

Lisa feeling very concerned for Mac wanted things out in the open, "Is Jack your boyfriend?"

Now Sam was the one with a shocked look, "NO, he's my commanding officer."

Mac tired of the kids running things asked if she was in the service. Before she could answer her brother called for them to join his family. "That's my brother and the rest of his family. Would you care to join us? We could talk as we walk." Both SAM and Lisa answered yes.

Mac smiled, "It would be nice. Thanks." Taking her hand, they all walked over to meet the rest.

"I'm in the Air Force," Sam felt nervous and needed to talk.

"Are you stationed around here?" Mac asked.

"No in Colorado. I'm on vacation." she replied.

SAM interrupted "Where about, we have a cabin out there?" He flashed his father a grin.

"I live in Colorado Springs," she answered.

"That's about 20 minutes away, At Cheyenne Mountain?" Mac asked.

"Yes, you know it?"

"Oh, I tested the security system years ago."

Surprised at Mac's response but not wanting to pry, "Did we pass?"

He shook his head; "The computer had a glitch or two."

Sam's brother watched them approach, he whispered to his wife "When did she start picking up strange guys?" Sam and the others arrived and introductions were made. They rode several rides, oddly Sam and Mac always seemed to end up together (thanks to SAM). They were having a great day and no one wanted it to end.

It was late in the afternoon when the group decided to stop for a bite. They choose a restaurant with a fifties style, there was jukebox playing in the background. SAM was singing along, he tried to get his father to sing too.

"No way, SAM, I'm not going to make a fool of myself."

"Awe come on you've done it before, remember the kareoke bar."

"Yeah, I was drunk..."

At that moment Lisa interrupted, "WHAT, You were drinking? After everything you said about drinking."

"Wait a minute! You were 14 what was I supposed to say chug-a-lug. It was only once I lost a bet and had to go with him to a bar and drink. It was no big deal."

In an attempt to change the mood SAM asked Lisa to dance. The next song was a slow one and Mac asked Sam to dance. Feeling tense about Lisa he wanted clear the air "I'm not an alcoholic or anything, I just don't drink or smoke or do drugs. It's okay if...."

Sam interrupted him; "I don't smoke or drugs..."

"But you do drink right, Its okay. I know a lot of people do, my son does. If you...."

"Why don't you drink?"

"I lost too many friends to drunk drivers, besides I just don't care for the taste of beer."

"Well, I don't drink that much, I'll make a deal with you. I won't drink, if you don't eat onions." He looked puzzled. "I don't like onions," she said and as if a light went on.

"OH!" With a smile he leaned in and kissed her softly on the lips. Sam didn't want the music to end.

Feeling nervous and self conscious about kissing him she started to talk, "Have Lisa & SAM been dating long, you and Lisa seem close?"

"Oh no, they just started 2 weeks ago."

"You say like it's a problem, don't you like her?" Sam asked.

"I adore her, she so sweet. We've been good friends since she was 12. I'm just having hard time remembering she's all grown up now. They used to be like brother and sister. This is new, I'm still trying to get use to it." He pulled her close and continued to dance hoping to kiss her again.

Later in the ladies room, Lisa and Sam were finally alone. Lisa was dying to talk to her she wanted to know if Mac had a chance. "So, you and Mac seem to be getting along." Sam smiled. Lisa continued, "I can tell he likes you."

"Do you think the guys are talking too?" Sam asked smiling.

Lisa replied, "Oh I'm sure SAM asked but Mac's not the type to answer. He'll smile, blush and tell him it's none of his business. I guess that's his way of telling him everything and nothing."

Both girls smiled and started giggling.

"There's just one thing." Lisa continued. "MacGyver's a great guy, but he does have a few faults. He's kind of shy about dating. He also has a really big fear of commitment. He's like a big dog, he'll be your best friend, loyal and loving. Until you try to put a leash on him. He really is a nice guy. Just give him a chance."

As the day came to a close, Mac knew he had to say something, he had to ask her out. He had to see her again. By the time they reached the parking lot, he still had not said anything.

Sam wanted to see him again, she was hoping he wanted to see her too. Remembering what Lisa had said about being shy, she gambled "I had a great day, it was a lot. Thanks um...."

"Yeah, me too. a..." JUST DO IT! He thought.

Almost simultaneously they said. "Would you like to do something tomorrow?" They both laughed.

"Yeah, sure," she said, "Let me give you my number in San Diego. Do you have a piece of paper?" He patted his pockets and shook his head. Taking his hand, she wrote the number on his palm. Handing the pen and her palm to him, so he could do the same.

"Call me in the morning, we can do something," she said.

Mac was still holding her hand, not wanting to let go he pulled her in close and tenderly kissed her. Sam did not want it to end, but she could hear the children in the background. They said good night.

Some time after leaving the park and getting pizza, Mac, Lisa and SAM arrived back at MacGyver's place. As soon as they got in SAM flipped on the computer. He connected to Phoenix data bank and then to a government data bank.

"Her name was Samantha Carter, captain, US air force, right?" SAM asked.

"Right, what are you doing?" his father wanted to know.

"Just a little research, aren't you curious?"

"You know what curiosity did to the cat," Lisa pointed out.

"She's right, what if Sam finds out?"

"Don't tell her, you're my father and I worry about you. What if it was not a chance meeting?" SAM said. "I'm in. Here's personal file. Aren't you just a little curious?"

"Well just a little, what's it say?" Looking over SAM's shoulder. Lisa pulled up a chair for Mac and then one for her self. Mac started to read out loud. "Says here she is working on a top secret project C' what ever that means. Pete can't even access this project with his clearance level. She has beehere for eight months, before that a nanosite project, a Giza project, and she also flew in the gulf war over 100 sorties."

"Wow, busy woman." Lisa commented.

"Giza as in ancient pyramids in Egypt?" SAM noticed, "That one's top secret too."

"What does an astrophysicist do in Egypt?" Lisa asked.

"I'm not sure but there is some connection. What else does it say?"

"She is only 29, a little old for you Dad," SAM said with smirk.

"HA HA, keep going. She has few medals for valor and some other stuff."

"She has never been married, no kids," SAM continued, "besides her brother she has a mom and dad for family. Her father is still in the air force."

After 2 hours in the car Sam could not stop thinking, she had a million questions and thought up about 3 million answers. One way to get everything straight would be to call MacGyver up and just ask. Very direct it might scare him away. The other way to answer her questions was to get into the Phoenix data bank. You can't scare a computer. The only problem was her brother was not online. Daniel was and he could access the info for her. He could tell her everything she wanted to know.

The phone rang at Daniel's apartment interrupting the video he was watching with Teal'c and Jack. Jack was still in a cast up to his hip from the accident in the Antarctic, which is why they all had time off. "I'll get it. Stop the tape, hello."

"Hi, Daniel. How's your vacation?"

"Sam? Hey everybody it's Sam!"

"Who's there, you having a party?"

"No, just Jack and Teal'c"

"HI, SAM!" Jack yelled from across the room.

"Everything okay, why did you call?" sounding a little worried.

"Everything's fine, I need a little favor but I rather Jack didn't know."

"Oh, why?"

"I'm not sure why but I met this guy."

"Oh."

"He reminds me of Jack; height, weight, face, build."

"Really, how much?"

"WHAT'S SHE BUYING?" Jack yelled from across the room. Daniel just waved to him.

"A lot, can you log on to the computer and look him up for me. He works for the Phoenix Foundation in LA. Just don't mention it to Jack. Okay."

"Okay wait a minute." He went through all the steps, "What's the name?"

"MacGyver, he is a trouble shooter."

"I know him he turned me down for a grant one time. Here comes his file. What did you want to know?"

"Is there a photo on file?"

"Yeah it should be up soon, what else?"

"How old is he and does he have a first name?"

"47 -March 23, and no first name according to...WOW, look at this! Sam he really does." Hearing Daniel, Jack and Teal'c came over to see.

"When did you have long hair, O'Neill?"

"Never Teal'c, that can't be me. Who is that?"

"Daniel, what's going on?" asked Sam.

"Sam, who is this guy?" Jack asked after taking the phone.

"Just a guy met out here, he works for a research foundation. I've referenced his work a lot, Sir."

"So your interest is purely professional, or did you have something else in mind?"

"I just wanted to find out a little bit more him. Put Daniel back on the line, please." Handing the phone to Daniel.

"Hi Sam, what else did you want to know?"

"Thanks Daniel, that's why I didn't want him to know. Tell me anything important. Is Jack still listening to you?"

"Yes, it says he was reinstated last month."

"Reinstated? Where was he working before?"

"The Phoenix, he left in '92 for personal reasons."

"What about in between?"

"It doesn't say, Sam, he must have been unemployed."

"Carter you're dating a bum!" Jack said loud enough for her to hear him.

"What about before the Phoenix?"

"86-92 Phoenix, 79-86 DXS. What's that?"

"That's an extremely paranoid branch of the government." Jack replied sharply.

"And the Air Force isn't?" Daniel asked Jack.

"These guys are really bad they fought the cold war." Jack stated.

"That doesn't mean he is bad, Daniel they got a rep. in the early 90's after he was gone," Sam said trying to defend MacGyver.

"Hey, Dad what's this icon flashing in the corner?" SAM asked. He was still working in his father's computer.

"It's a silent alarm, some one is accessing my files at Phoenix. Click on it, it will run a trace."

"Cool, it's a map. Look the call goes from the Phoenix back to Washington, then to Colorado."

"YA think. It originates here, a guy named Daniel Jackson."

"Who is that MacGyver?" Lisa asked. He shook his head and picked up the phone. Looking at his palm he dialed the phone. "MacGyver, do you think that's a good idea? She'll know you were checking on her."

"No, this alarm would have gone off no matter what he was doing in the data bank." After a moment Mac heard in the receiver, "Hello Carter residence"

"Hi is Sam there, this is MacGyver."

"Hi it's me. Hold on I have some on the other line." ***click***"Daniel I have to go, he is on the other line. Thanks Bye. I will call in a few days." ***click***"Hi, MacGyver, what's up."

"Well to be real honest I was peeking at your file, well it was SAM's idea. He did the computer work. Any way while we were on, a silent alarm went off someone was accessing my file. We traced the call to a guy named Daniel Jackson. A friend of yours?"

"Well," confused she answered, "what can I say you caught me but you're just as guilty."

"Yeah, so. Who is Daniel?"

"Just a friend who I work with. Worried?"

"Should I be?"

"No, he's married. Are you mad?"

"No, I'm guilty too. Are you?"

"No, do you still want to do some thing tomorrow?"

"I could drive down to San Diego and we could spend the day together."

"Excuse me Dad," SAM interrupted, "Lisa and I are going to leave, we'll see when you get back."

"Ah what, wait..."

"Dad, the phone, talk to her. Bye." SAM and Lisa rushed out, not want a conflict over sleeping arrangements.

"What is going on, MacGyver?"

"SAM and Lisa just went home, I'm trying to remember they are both adults. This is the worst part of being a parent. Let's talk about something else, anything else. Please."

"Okay, why did you take 5 years off and what did you do?"

"That's not going to help."

"Avoiding the question?"

"No the answer is SAM. I quit to spend time with him. New subject what is SGC?"

"That is classified. Tell me more about you."

"What can I tell you that you haven't already read?"

"That's not fair, MacGyver." They continued to talk into the night.

Back at Daniel's apartment, "What the hell could she see in this guy?" Jack asked slightly aggravated. Daniel and Teal'c looked at each other and then at Jack "What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You're jealous," Daniel stated. "Your jealous Sam is dating a guy that looks just like you, instead of you. You want her."

"Are you nuts, where did you get that?"

"Oh, come on Jack. You two have a history; she saved your life in that ice cave, when you saved hers, when she had the 'touch'..."

"Okay, that's enough. First, nothing happened. Second, it's against regulations, I'm her commanding officer."

"That didn't stop you from trying to beat the crap out of me, because I wanted to visit her...."

"Stop! I was sick, then I had the 'touch', too. And I apologized for that, remember."

"My point is that in some way you care for her, just as we all do. But it has to be hard to watch her date your double. Right?"

"I guess I see your point. Can we drop this now and go back to the movie?" Jack said trying not let Daniel see just how right he was.

The sun was shining through MacGyver's window; he had planned on sleeping in, if he could. He had stayed up late talking with Sam for nearly 2 hours. They had talked about everything. Including stuff he really didn't want to talk about like SAM and Lisa.

He found it very easy to talk to her, he ended up telling her his whole life story. She told him all about herself, too. She told him about the air force and why she joined. How she loved flying which started a whole conversation about planes and flying experiences. He told her about SAM. They meet 5 years ago and traveled all around the country on the motorcycles getting to know each other. She told him about Cassandra and how she wanted to adopt her but wasn't ready to give up her career.

They talked about other things they had in common like science, skiing, and the outdoors. Reluctantly, they ended the conversation by making plans for the next day. MacGyver would drive down on the motorcycle and they would spend the day together.

He had a hard time falling asleep that night, his thoughts bounced back and forth between Sam and what the kids might be doing. He didn't want to think about that. He tried to think about how nice the next day was going to be and hoping he would get the chance to kiss her again. With this picture in his mind, he fell asleep. Only to be awaken by images of the two kids in similar situations. He was happy to see the sunlight dance across his pillow that morning. He had made a decision in the middle of the night he wanted to talk to Lisa and SAM, to clear the air. He showered and headed for SAM's apartment. They had no phone yet.

Mac never knocked before going into SAM's apartment. He always let himself in and it was the same way at his place. Today he thought differently as he knocked shyly, almost hoping no one would be home.

Lisa opened the door; she avoided looking directly at him fearing he would pass judgment. "Hey MacGyver you're just in time for Breakfast."

"Who cooked?" Worrying about his stomach.

"The bakery on the corner."

Peeking in the box expecting day old jelly doughnuts, that was SAM's style. "Hey, did you buy these? They look good." Pulling out a very fancy pastry.

"Of course, are you going to see that girl today? Was she mad that you were looking at her file?"

"She didn't seem to mind, I'm on my way down to San Diego now, I just stopped by to let you know. Where's SAM?"

"He's in the shower he should be out soon. He'll be happy to hear you're going to see her again. What are you going to do?"

"I don't know, we talked for hours last night." Lisa's eyes opened wide. He continued, "but we never made definite plans other than driving down."

"Well, I guess that it was good that we left when we did last night. It gave you two a chance to talk."

"Yeah, but you didn't have to."

"Well, SAM really wanted to go so." Avoiding eye contact she went on, "you know what he's like, he won't take NO for an answer." Mac listened without interrupting, nodding occasionally. "I didn't want to, he made me I knew it wasn't right. I feel so bad."

"WHAT!!!" Reading more into it. He could not hold it back any longer assuming his worst nightmare came true. Realizing he was about to hurt her, he wrapped his arms around her to comfort her. "Awe, sweetheart, you should have come to me. I could have talked to him. I would have stopped him." She pulled back, "What are you talking about?!"

"What are you talking about?"

"I asked first."

"Lisa if SAM forced you to well... you know..." scrunching up his face, waiting for her to says something. After a short staring contest, "You know...they call it date ra..."

"NO! Oh my God, MacGyver, NO! I was talking about staying here last night. I thought it would bother you. I guess I was right. Gosh, MacGyver, it was never about sex."

"Sorry, so that means your not having it, right?" he was trying to lighten the mood.

"Do you really want me to answer that? Didn't your grandfather teach you better."

"Don't answer. You're right he did." Putting both hands on her shoulders, he pulled her forward till their foreheads met. "You know Kiddo, I'm always here for you. You can tell me anything. I may not like it, but I'll always help you any way I can. So"

"There is nothing to tell, MacGyver. Trust me, I love him. I always have."

Pulling back a little, "Always, it was like a brother, I thought."

"Maybe at first, but not for long," she said, moving away from him.

"What's the matter?" He flashed her that look, the one she'd seen a hundred times before. It meant talk and talk now. There was no resisting those eyes. He continued, "Lisa, you can talk to me remember? If you always loved him, why did you say like a brother?"

"It was easier," she said reluctantly.

"Easier than what?"

"Just easier."

"Lissssa" with that look again.

"Mac, if people knew how I really felt they would want to know why I never went out with him."

"Why didn't you?"

"Yeah, right. You can't handle it now at 21. What would you have done at 16?"

"No way, this ain't about me, it's about you. You were in love with him, why not see him?"

"Come on MacGyver, look at me. Like I'm really his type."

"TYPE! Lisa, he is dating you now."

"I haven't figured that out yet, but I'm not his type. He likes wild girls; bold, brassy, blonde, big b..."

"Stop! Lisa that stuff 's not important. You're perfect the way you are or he wouldn't be with you. Right?"

"Sure," she said without really believing it. "Then why did he always date that type of girl?"

"I don't know."

"I do, this won't last. I'm never going to be that 'type' of woman. The type he goes out with."

"You're wrong!" SAM said. Mac and Lisa turned to see SAM standing in the doorway, wearing only a towel. He walked up behind Lisa, Facing his father. He wrapped one arm around her waist and the other over her shoulder, across her chest, resting his hand on the opposite shoulder. He kissed her shoulder near his hand. "It will last, you're what I want," kissing her neck. "You believe me, don't you?" He whispered some thing else in her ear. She smiled, nodded and leaned her head against his cheek.

"Well, I might be more inclined to believe you, if you were wearing pants."

"Dad, we're both adults, we're..."

"I know; you're old enough vote, fight and die for your country..."

"And live together," SAM added. Mac knew that look in his eyes; SAM wasn't backing down, this time. Hopefully that meant he loved her too. He didn't want to hurt either one by arguing.

"Okay, you win. I should be going anyway, it's a 2 hour ride to San Diego."

"Hot date, aye, Dad!"

"Hope so!" Smiling he headed for the door.

"Don't forget to call if you're going to be late."

"Get a phone!" He waved as he went out the door.

Sam heard the motorcycle pull into the yard; she came outside to greet him, "Nice bike!"

"Heard me coming, aye. Hi" he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek. "You have a dog." Patting the dog.

"He's Cassandra's dog, a gift from Jack."

"Oh, him again. Does he really look like me?"

"A little, I think Cassandra has a picture in her room. Let's go in."

"Nice ride?" She asked as they walked up to the house.

"I guess," he said. Noticing the questioning look on her face he continued, "Too much time to think. I stopped into see SAM & Lisa this morning."

"I thought you decided not to do that."

"I wasn't going to..."

"But!"

"But it just came out."

"How did it go?"

"Not to bad, son-father talks are always a little hard to take."

"Don't you me mean father-son?"

"No that's when I lecture him. Today he set me straight. It ended with 'we're old enough to live together.' It might have been a little easier to take if he was wearing more than a towel."

"What? Did you walk in on something?"

"No, she was dressed, he was in the shower. Lisa and I talked for a bit. He continued on with the story as they went inside. There was the soft sound of music playing in the background.

"So, they are officially living together. Can you handle that?" She asked after hearing the whole story.

"Do I have a choice? I love them both. Hey, where is everybody?"

"Work and school. Wait here I'll get the picture." She disappeared up the stairs.

MacGyver spotted some photos on the mantle and went to investigate. There were a few of Sam; one in her dress uniform, a recent one with her family, and one when she was real little. He saw her coming down the stairs. He pointed to the last photo, "This you?"

"Yes, and my father in his plane. I told you he hooked me on flying young."

"I guess, I love the smile." Noticing she was missing her front teeth. They both laughed. He spotted the photo in hand. "That the guy?" She handed him the photo. "Well, maybe a little like me."

"Just a little, but there are things that are different."

"That good or bad?"

"Definitely good," Smiling at him. He returned the smile, blushing a little.

"This Daniel Jackson?"

"Yes and the other guy with the hat is Teal'c."

"You look different in fatigues?"

"Good or bad?"

"Tough, but I like it." Just then a very romantic song came on the radio and they began to dance.

"Did you see this movie?

"What movie?"

"This is the song from Titanic."

"No, we could go see it this afternoon if you like."

She nodded and began to sing along. When she sang, "Near, Far, wherever you are I believe that the heart does go on..."

At that moment he leaned in and kissed her. They continued to kiss throughout the whole song. This song would forever remind her of him and this moment.

They had wonderful day. They laughed and talked. The pair enjoyed a light lunch out before the movie. Although "Titanic" wasn't the kind of movie MacGyver normally went to, he enjoyed it because he was with her. A few times their hands met in the popcorn, after awhile he figured it wasn't accidental. He decided to put his arm around her, feeling a little awkward. He soon relaxed when she snuggled up close to him. They even kissed a few times waiting for the ship to sink.

That night they went out with her brother and his family. It was a very nice restaurant; Mac had to borrow a jacket and tie. Normally he would have passed on such a place and almost did. Until he saw Samantha coming down the stairs. Mac was talking with her brother and just stopped mid-stream. She was wearing a fancy short blue dress that matched the color of her eyes. He knew she was attractive but she always wore jeans. He could not stop admiring her legs the rest of the night. If some one spoke to him during dinner, he had to make them repeat it. He was often lost in thought.

It was late when they returned home, they offered to let Mac stay on the couch. Big brother reminded them both that there were little kids in the house. Then he went upstairs to help his wife put the kids to bed.

"Well, are you going to stay? It's a very long drive. If you stay then we could talk for a while. I know he's a little over protective. It's a nice couch." She said as she sat down. He sat next to her.

"Not a bad couch, I guess I could stay."

"I'm going to change, be right back." She returned a few minutes later wearing tee shirt and jeans. He was a little disappointed but at least he would be able to concentrate.

"How do you feel about coming up to LA tomorrow with me. I could show you the Phoenix Foundation. Maybe you could meet my friends. What do you think?"

"Well, everyone will be at school or work tomorrow. We could go up after breakfast, how long were you thinking of having me stay?"

"As long as you want."

"Well, I'd want to be back for the week end, that okay?"

"Yeah, perfect" and they began to kiss. After some time they took a short break and talked for awhile.

In the morning, Sam came down the stairs to find that Mac was awake already. She could smell something good coming from the kitchen. She was surprised to find Mac with towel tucked in his belt serving pancakes to the 3 kids.

"Good morning, would you like some of my world famous blueberry-banana pancakes?" He was holding up the frying pan.

"World famous?"

"Want to see my passport?" He reached for his back pocket.

She laughed, shaking her head. Sam was actually very interested in looking at that passport. There were still a few things she wanted to know, like his first name. They both had a seat, and began to eat.

"Holy Hanna, these are good. You can really cook."

"You should see what I can do with whipped bean curd."

"Bean turd!" Cassandra said. All the kids started to laugh.

"What's going on in here?" Sam's sister-in-law asked. The kids automatically calmed down.

"He eats turds."

"No, that's bean curd." Mac corrected.

"Hey, Sam he's a real good cook. You better hang on to this one," she said. The kids all started giggling. Mac and Sam both blushed. "Are you ready for school?" This put an end to giggles. The kids left to get ready. "So what have you to got planned for the day?"

"Well, if you guys don't mind we would like to head up to LA for a few days. I'd be back in time to spend the weekend with you guys."

"Sam, this is your vacation. You do what you want. We told you when you called we couldn't get time off. We're just glad we got to see you after that telegram. I've got to go, see you in a few days." She bent over gave Sam a hug and left.

"Telegram?" MacGyver asked expecting an answer.

"It was nothing, I need to pack."

"Wait, it didn't sound like nothing. She seemed really concerned. And don't give me that 'it's classified' either or she wouldn't have know about it."

"MacGyver"

"Samantha"

"How about a trade?"

"Trade for what?"

"Your first name."

"OH MAN. Now that is classified."

"Oh yeah."

"How about a bloody nose at 5 years old. It's bad. In fact, there are only two people that know it."

"Who SAM & Lisa?"

"Lisa doesn't even know, that's how bad it is."

"If I asked SAM would he tell me?"

"No, He's stuck with it too. He won't use it either."

"Isn't SAM short for Samuel?"

"No it's his initials. His first name is Sean."

"What's his middle name?"

"Same as mine," he said with a coy smile. "So what's in the telegram?"

"No way, you didn't tell me your name."

"I told you too much already. Telegram?"

"If I guess would you tell me I was right?"

"If you tell me what the telegram was about."

"Deal, come upstairs and help me pack. We can talk while we work."

"Okay." He replied hoping that going upstairs might lead to more.

After saying good bye to the kids and the house was final empty. Mac and Sam headed upstairs to pack. While Mac sat watching her stuff her duffel bag, she told him the telegram was sent after being reported missing in action. Sam continued telling the story, about being trapped in the cave with Jack. She reassured him that Jack was hurt really bad and nothing would have happened anyway. The only detail she left out was how they got in the cave. She explained that Jack was in a cast up to his hip and that's why General Hammond gave them time off. She had spent some time with her parents and now here. Next week she would have to go back to the base. Sam was now standing in front of Mac, who was sitting on the bed. He put his arms around to comfort her.

"Are you going to let me visit you out there?" He asked gentlely kissing her. Nodding her head, they continued to kiss.

Daniel & Teal'c stopped by Jack's home with Chinese take out the night before. After having, few too many beers, they decided to spend the night. Jack woke up both his head and leg was throbbing. Wishing that the pain would go away he reached for another beer. Teal'c had already made coffee and Daniel sat at the table holding his head.

"Morning all."

"SHHHH" Daniel hissed.

"Would coffee not be better for your condition." Teal'c put a cup on the table for him and poured the coffee. Jack sat at the table and sipped the coffee. He knew Teal'c was right and didn't try to argue.

"Remind me never to drink again." Moaned Daniel.

"Wuss, can't handle a few beers?"

"I think it was more than a few. Aren't you hung over?"

"Yeah, of course I am, but that won't stop me from doing it again."

"I wish Sam was here she'd be able to explain it to you, my head hurts to much to get into a debate."

"Have you heard from her, is she still seeing that geek?"

"Jack, why is that every one is a geek to you?"

"Not every one, just the brainy scientist type."

Shaking his head Daniel replied, "I haven't heard from her since the other night with you."

"We should call her make sure she's okay. Do you have the number?"

"Yes, but do you really think that's a good idea. I don't think she would want us to interfere."

"Who's interfering? We're just calling to say Hi. Is that such a bad thing?"

"Considering you're jealous. It might be."

"I'm not jealous, I told you that before. Now give me the number." Jack demanded. Daniel reluctantly handed him the phone number. Jack dialed the phone.

Sam and Mac had given up on the packing, lying on the bed kissing passionately. The phone began to ring. "Let it ring," Mac whispered between kisses.

"I can't, it might be important," she said pulling herself away. She picked up the phone on the fourth ring.

"Hello."

"Hey Sam, I'm not interrupting am I?" Jack asked smugly.

"Hi Jack, no you're not. What's going on?"

"Oh, not much. We were having a deep philosophical discussion on the evils of drinking. I though you might want to add your 2 cents."

"Well, I find it hard to believe you were having a deep conversation about anything, especially when you're hung over."

"Hung over, what makes you think that?"

"Why else would you be talking about the evils of drinking?" She said. MacGyver starting kissing her shoulder. "Look Jack I've got to go."

"Where are you going?"

"Just up to LA for a few days?"

"Are you going up to see that guy?" He continued sarcastically, "It's purely a professional interest, right?"

"Colonel, that's not really any of your business. See you next week. Say Hi to everyone for me. Bye."

"Bye." They both hung up the phone. Mac was now standing tucking in his shirt.

"What was that all about?" He asked watching her get up.

"I don't know, please tell me you're not jealous though."

"Should I be?"

"No, I have no interest in him, it's only skin deep." She said. Now standing in front of him, she kissed him. He put his arms around her. "Can you we go to LA now?"

It was a long ride to LA but Sam enjoyed keep her hands warm inside the front pockets of Mac's jacket. The first thing Sam wanted to do when they got to his loft was go on a tour. She was impressed with all the books, and wondered if he had read them all. She followed him through the kitchen and down the hall. When Mac offered to show her the bedroom, she asked for the bathroom first. After all it was a long ride. When she came out he was getting a drink and offered her some. He tried to restart the tour heading once again for the bed. She noticed the picture on the mantle. She asked him to identify everyone.

"Those are my friends," He pointed as he talked. "That's Pete and Jack. Me and Mike."

"Old girlfriend?"

"No, she was just my best friend." moving on, "That is SAM and his mom, he was about 6 then. Here he is with Lisa at her Junior Prom; they were 19 &16. This is my grandpa Harry fishing. This is my old house boat." He turned and kissed her. "There are more photos in my bedroom." He started to walk while kissing her again. She stopped him from walking, still holding him.

"MacGyver do really want show me the pictures or your bed?"

"We could do both."

"I thought you said no pressure, that you would even stay on the couch if I wanted."

"Well.... I... am.... Oh... " He avoid answering wrinkling his face. He sat on the back of the couch.

"I thought you meant it, that you were sincere. Did you?"

"Yeah... I... guess...well." He was looking into those beautiful blue eyes. "Yeah.... Yes I meant it." He said sternly. "I guess, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to."

"Thanks for being honest." She kissed him, pushing him over the back of the couch. He pulled her over with him and kissed for a second. They changed position to get more comfortable and continued to kiss. He was struggling with the idea of being a gentleman and wanting to more. 'You could do more with out doing every thing, right.' He had finally decided to make a move, 'If she said no he would be a 'gentleman' and stop.' Just before he was going to do something, the phone rang. That put an end to that.

"Let it ring," Sam said as she continued to kiss him.

"You answered yours. Why can't I?"

"That was a big mistake," she said with a laugh.

Just then the answering machine picked up. "Hey it's MacGyver, I'm not here. We all know how these things work so when you here the beep, go for it!" Sam giggled.

"MacGyver!" they heard Pete through the machine. "MacGyver where the hell are you?!"

"That's my boss I better pick up." MacGyver sat up after Sam moved.

"I've been trying to reach you for days!" They heard before Mac picked up the phone and shut off the machine.

"Hey Pete."

"Where have you been? Do you realize how worried I was? You just can't run off with out telling any one."

"Sorry but SAM knew where I was."

"Oh yeah, I can just call him up on the phone, any time. Right!"

"Pete, you could have stopped by and talked to him."

"MacGyver, I tried he was always out." Pete's voice changed from scolding parent to quiet concern as he continued. "I talked to his neighbors, they said that he has a girl friend and....."

"And what Pete? Is she living there or some thing?" he said with a laugh.

"MacGyver, can't you ever be serious?"

"Actually, Pete, I am. They are living together. I just keep telling myself she not a little girl any more."

"Little girl, Mac who is she?"

"Lisa Woodman and I know, I have to accept it. I'm trying. It's not easy, yea know."

"Well, it sounds like you're doing okay." Pete's tone was definitely lighter with a hint of pride.

"So where have you been? Did you take off by yourself to do some soul search?"

"Not exactly."

"What exactly?"

"Well, I'm not alone." He paused expecting a response. "She's nice, you'll like her."

"SHE?" Sounding very happy, "When do I get to met her?"

"Tonight for dinner? We can pick you up at Phoenix? I want to show her around a little."

"Sounds great, about 5. Mac, be careful, don't show her anything classified."

"Pete, she has a higher clearance than you. The project she is on is president's eyes only." He said still laughing.

"What project? Who is she?"

"Her name's Samantha Carter, a Captain with US Air Force. See yea at 5. Bye." He quickly hung up the phone, not wanting a response. Mac turned to see Sam smiling at him. He returned the smile. Putting his arm around her shoulder he pulled her close and kissed her.

Pete's office at the Phoenix was rather large; there was enough room for a large desk, a coffee table, two stuffed chairs and a large sofa. If Pete had learned anything from MacGyver it was to relax, be casual. Pete was sitting on the sofa when Helen came in with a report. She had been Pete's secretary for years.

"I have the dossier you asked for, a Captain Samantha Carter. Would you like me to read it to you?"

"Yes, please do, Helen. You know I really don't understand. Mac can't stand the military. You remember his review of the movie 'GI Jane'? What does he see in her?"

"Well, first of all, she is very pretty and smart. According to this she has a Ph.D. in Quantum Mechanics, Theoretical Astrophysics, as well as Plasma/Particle Physics."

"Wow, he sure does know how to pick'em."

"And you better remember that when he brings her in here to meet you. Mac is looking for your approval." She lectured, "You're the closes thing to a parent he has. You're like a father to him. So you be nice!"

"Yes, mother." He said with a chuckle, "So what else does it say about OUR son's new friend?" They both laughed.

"This says she is attached to the SGC Unit of the Joint Forces. Her clearance level is EO1."

"He said she had a high clearance level. What is SGC?"

"The only thing I could get was that it is run by General George Hammond out of the Cheyenne Mountain Complex in Colorado. Now, that's the same place that Mac broke into years ago for your friend Woody. I put a call into him, but he's on a fishing boat some where, retired. There are a few others I called but I haven't heard back from yet. Now we did have a contract with the Air Force, we developed some special units that reduce vibrations."

"Let me guess, they were shipped to Cheyenne Mountain Complex."

"I called the project leader, he is sending you a full report."

"Helen you are incredible. I don't know what I do with out you. I hope I never find out. Hey how about you join us for dinner tonight, please? After all he's your son, too. You've done more for him in last 20 years than any one I know."

"God, has it been that long. It seems like just yesterday, you brought him in asking to be reimbursed for a bed and a taxicab. You just looked at me and said don't ask. Little did we know it was the first of many strange requests."

"Oh, I forgot about that you thought we were nuts. It's been a great 20 years hasn't?"

"Yes it has."

"So, it is settled. You're coming to dinner with us."

Mac and Sam arrived at Pete's office shortly after 5pm. The tour had taken longer than he expected; Sam had so many questions. She was interested in everything. He loved this a woman who was a thinker and seemed to care about the answers. As they went through the building, he found himself watching and admiring her. Pete was in his office on the phone. Mac introduced Helen and Sam. They chatted briefly while waiting for Pete.

"You're late as usual," He said with a chuckle. Extending his hand, "You must be Samantha. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Shaking his hand Sam said, "Thank you, it's nice to finally meet you too. I have admired many of the projects you created." Pete blushed and tried to move on.

"So, Pete. You ready?" Mac asked.

"Yeah sure, I invited Helen. Oh Mac can I talk to you in my office a moment?"

"Pete, It's after 5. Time to shed that tie."

"Do you plan on working at all in the near future?"

"Nope, I was hoping to spend some time with her before she had to go back to the base."

"I don't want you to get in trouble, if you have to work. I can always go shopping with Lisa or some thing." Sam added. Mac was laughing.

"Trouble. When is he not in trouble?" Pete said with a chuckle.

"Hey! Don't start."

"You know she could always come to work with you." Helen said.

"Wow that sounds great. This place is fantastic."

"Well there you have it. Can I count you tomorrow? Willis was working on an Ecology field project, but he has to be in court in the morning. What do you say, Mac?"

"Are you sure, you want to go. We will be outside all day. It may even be muddy."

"It sounds great I love the outdoors. I go hiking all the time."

"It's settled, let's go eat."

The restaurant was nice, serving a mix of food. There was a jukebox at one end with a small dance floor. There was a few people dancing. They were seated at a corner table; both women sat in the middle. The waitress came to take their order. Pete and Helen ordered mixed drinks and Mac ordered water. Sam was about order when Mac interrupted.

"If you want a drink get it." He smiled at her.

"Are you planning on getting onions? I'll have a diet coke."

"I guess not." Mac laughed. Pete was looking puzzled. "We have a deal. She won't drink, if I don't eat onions." At that point the theme from "Titanic" started to play on the jukebox. "Would you excuse us they're playing our song." Mac got up taking Sam's hand and pulling her a long to the dance floor.

"Did he actually say 'our song'?" Pete whispered to Helen.

"Yes he did and you behave yourself!"

"You don't think he's finally found the one, how are they dancing?"

"Extremely close, he just kissed her. It's so sweet."

"Sweet? This isn't Mac: 'our song', his 'girl friend', offering her a drink and when the last time you saw him dance."

"Behave, sooner or later, he was going to have to grow up. I, for one, am happy for him and unless you want to break his heart. I suggest you do the same. Here they come."

The rest evening went really well. It was filled with stories of Mac and Pete's misadventures. Mac was a little uncomfortable with the whole ordeal. Sam asked a few questions but tried not to sound nosy. Mac began to relax when he noticed that she was genuinely interested. Although he continued to deny most of it, trying down play his past. After dinner, they went back to the Phoenix. Helen drove Pete home. Mac & Sam head for Mac's loft.

When they returned home Mac realized Sam's stuff was still sitting on the floor near the door. He had left it there when they first came home earlier that day. Grabbing the bag, he swung around and headed for the bedroom.

"Come on!" he called to her. She followed him to his room. He wrapped his arms around her giving her a big bear hug. Mac startled her, pulling her on to the bed while kissing. Sam worried a little being in his bedroom, but soon relaxed.

"You did it." Sam stated.

"Did what?

"Finally showed me your room. That is what you wanted?"

"What I want is you." He said and then kissed her.

"Mac, I know...."

"But"

"But I just want to take things slow. We just met and...."

He placed a finger to her lips. "It's okay." He grabbed a pillow and the quilt from the end of the bed. "Good Night," he said and kissed her on the cheek.

Sam followed him out to the living room. She put on some soft music, and stretched both arms around his neck to dance. He really wasn't into it and placed his hands on her hips. She reached up a little more to kiss him as she did her sweater lifted above her top of her jeans. He felt her warm soft skin under the edge of his hands. Curiosity always got the better of Mac. He slipped his hands under her sweater. He gently squeezed her sides. He began to kiss more passionately, moving to her neck.

He whispered, "Your skin is so soft."

"MacGyver, Please..."

"Don't worry, I won't." He started kissing her on the lips again. Reaching around to caress her back he pulled her in very close. As the passion increased, Sam found it harder and harder to resist.

That night Sam had a hard time falling asleep, knowing he was just down the hall. She was thinking about MacGyver. What a gentleman he was to actually sleep on the sofa. This was a guy she could get serious about. If she was ever really ready to get serious. He was perfect in every way. She could see him fitting in perfectly to her life. She knew from all the stories Pete told at dinner, that he would love gate travel and exploring new worlds. Although she wasn't sure about putting MacGyver in the same room with Jack, the rivalry would be unbearable. Sam wasn't even sure if she could handle Jack when she got back from her trip. She didn't want to think about that tonight, she started thinking about their last dance.

The next morning, Mac and Sam made breakfast together. Sam was wearing his bath rob and he was only wearing sweat pants. She found his bare chest quite a distraction. Twice she almost dropped the eggs on the floor.

They ate quickly so they could get out to the job site on time. They planned on getting dress as soon as they picked up. As they were cleaning up the dishes, Mac stopped. He wrapped his arms around and she kissed him. She could not resist resting her hands against his firm chest.

"Any one home," SAM's voice rang through the loft. He and Lisa came into the kitchen. Although Mac and Sam stopped kissing he did not release her. "I guess you're back, sorry if we're interrupting."

"After every thing we had to listen to!" Lisa went off like a cannon, "All those lectures..."

"Wait a minute."

"Right I know, it's different," Lisa continued. "You're adults, well guess what. We are too!"

"Hey, that's not it at all." Mac replied, "I slept on the couch." He pointed to a pile of pillows and blankets.

"What?" SAM was in shock, "You slept on the couch?"

"Yeah so. If we are going to make it to work on time I better take a shower." Mac headed for the shower with his son following close behind. SAM sat on the hamper while his father shaved.

"I can't believe you struck out."

"SAM, it's not about sex. I really like her, she's nice."

"Everything is about sex, Dad. Have you at least gotten to second or third?"

"You know SAM, I really don't think I want to discuss this with you. That better not include Lisa, and not everything is about sex. I really just enjoy being with her, I haven't felt this good in a long time. Some day you'll see, sex really is not important."

"So if she offered tonight you would say no, right?"

"Well..." Mac smiled not really wanting to answer.

"That's what I thought, you'd jump her if you could." both men laughed.

"Sure I'm a guy and I would love to be with her, but I respect her too. There is nothing wrong with taking things slow. Okay?" SAM smiled and nodded.

Sam quickly dressed and returned to the kitchen. Alone Lisa and Sam finished picking up. "I'm sorry, I was just teasing Mac. It really isn't anybody's business what you two do. I just wish Mac would see that about SAM and me."

"He really is trying, Lisa, he talks about you all the time. He really cares."

"Some times he cares to much, I don't want to hurt him. Neither does SAM."

"Hey, what was that all about?" Pointing toward the shower. "SAM seemed a little upset."

"Sorry, I think he just wants his Dad to be happy. As long as he's happy and distracted he won't have time to worry about us. Besides, I think Mac really likes you."

"Oh." Sam smiled at Lisa. This gave Sam an idea.

"Do you think MacGyver would mind if I used the phone?"

"Are you kidding, Sir Gallahan? He'd let you use any thing. He's just that kind a guy."

"I need to call a friend, she's taking care of my cats."

"How many do you have?"

"Just 2," Sam started dialing the phone. "Dr. Janet Frasier, please."

"Dr. Frasier, can I help you?"

"Hi Janet, it's me Sam."

"Hi, how's your vacation?"

"Great it's beautiful here."

"You're missing a ton of snow here."

Mac entered the room with a glass of milk. Lisa whispered that Sam was talking to a doctor friend. Lisa & SAM left saying quick good byes. He was sipping the milk as he listened to this end of the conversation.

"Did you know that one of your cats is going to be a mom?"

"A mom, no way, I didn't..." Sam paused at the sound of Mac choking and spitting milk all over the place.

"Are you all right?"

"A baby, is that why you won't sleep with me?!" He shouted while wiping his face.

"NOT me, my cat!"

"Oh. Sorry," he said feeling very foolish. "I'll just go get a newspaper." With that he slipped out the door.

"Who was that and why aren't you sleeping with him?"

"He's just a guy."

"A guy that wants to sleep with you. Is he good looking?"

"Gorgeous, 6'2" well built with long blonde hair."

"That's not fair. Is he an intelligent nice guy?"

"Very, he works for a think tank and he is so sweet."

"Is he married, any kids?"

"No, he is not but he does have a grown son. His name SAM, he's pretty nice."

"So this guy is smart, nice, single, good looking. Why aren't you sleeping with him?"

"I just met him over the weekend. I want to take things slow."

"I wouldn't go to slow your vacation is almost over."

"Don't remind me. I'm going to hate to leave."

"I hate to say this but you know after this week you may never see this guy again."

"Actually, he has a cabin about 20 minutes away from base. He loves to travel and plans on coming to see me."

"This guy sounds great, there has to be some thing you're not telling me."

"Well there is something about his face?"

"What's wrong with his face? Has he got a big nose or something?"

"Not unless you think Jack O'Neill does?"

"Jack's to die for, what does this have to do with him?"

"They look a like."

"You're kidding?"

"Nope, ask Daniel he saw a photo."

"Does Jack know?"

"Oh yeah. I think he's a little bugged by it."

"If your guy looks that good, why aren't you sleeping with him?"

"Why aren't you sleeping with Jack?"

"He's never asked me out."

"This is the 90's, you can ask him out."

"I know, I just don't know how to start."

"When does he come in again?"

"Today, Daniel is bringing Jack in for a new cast."

"Ask Daniel to show you the photo. After you see it make a remark about how good looking Mac is. Watch his reaction and then tell him he's better."

"You're BAD."

"How many times have you told me you wanted to go out with Jack?"

"I'm just not sure I can do it."

"No guts, no glory! Just do it!" At that point Mac returned with the paper.

"I agree," he said as he kissed her neck. "And it would be glorious." He kissed her neck again causing her to giggle.

"Is he kissing you?"

"Yes, are you going to ask Jack out? He really does like you."

"I don't know good bye.

"Let's get going," Mac said pushing her toward the door. "I thought Jack liked you." As they were getting in the car he continued, "He is jealous, isn't he?"

"No, he and I are just friends any thing else would be against regs."

"If it wasn't against regs would you?"

"It's only 'his' face I like," She said as she touched his cheek.

"Besides they really do like each other. He is always flirting with Janet. And she can't talk about anything but him. I think I talked her in to asking him out."

"Are you match making?"

"Just a little, after all they really are attracted to each other."

"It's still match making, I wouldn't want any one doing it to me"

"What about in the park?"

"What about it?"

"Didn't you notice every time we got on a ride we ended up sitting together. Don't you think SAM was match making a little?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Did it bother you?"

"No of course not. I like you."

"So do they. "

It was mid-morning when Jack and Daniel arrived at the base infirmary, Dr. Janet Frasier was a little nervous but she knew Sam was right. This was the perfect chance to let Jack know how she felt. Although she had tried before without success, he did not seem to realize that she always examined him last so she could spend more time. Or that she often had him remove his shirt when he really didn't need to.

"Hey Doc!" Jack broke in her to her daydream.

"Hi guys, how's the leg, Colonel?"

"I was hoping you would tell me? I'm really tired of this thing." He said waving toward the cast that ran from hip to toe.

"Well let's cut it off and get an x-ray."

"You won't get any arguments from me." He hopped up on to the table and swung his leg up. He was sitting in a reclined position, watching the small saw cut through the cast starting at his toes. As she went a long the inside of his leg.

"Daniel I was talking to Sam this morning. She said I should ask you to show me a picture of her new boy friend."

"Oh yeah, I have it right here." He said, digging it out of his pocket. She looked up quickly to see but did not stop moving the saw. She did not say anything but continued to look up at the picture.

"Hey! Doc!" Jack said as he used both hands to slide back on the table. "Watch what you're doing!" Looking down she realized she was at the end of the cast.

"Sorry, I was distracted." She started cutting on the outside of the cast.

"They really do look a like." Daniel commented.

"Sam's lucky he really is good looking."

"It's the hair." He said sarcastically. She smiled and turned to put the saw away.

"Actually I like guys with short hair." She felt extremely embarrassed and was afraid to turn around. She was hoping he wouldn't say anything sarcastic. She could feel he was staring at her. She started pulling the cast off, with out looking up at him.

"Did Sam say how things were going?" Daniel broke the tension.

She looked up at Daniel and could see that Jack was smiling not sarcastically but in a nice way.

"Oh, she didn't say much. She was curious about her cats."

"I think it's really nice that Sam met this guy," Jack stated as matter of fact. Daniel looked up at him in shock. "I hope it works out for her, she deserves a nice guy. Every one deserves to be happy." He was now smiling at the good Doctor.

An orderly entered the room and asked if the Colonel was ready to go to x-ray. The orderly helped O'Neill into a wheel chair. After the Doctor gave them some paper work, they left.

"What was that all about?" Daniel asked Janet Frasier

"What? He needs x-rays."

"Do you have a crush on him?"

"A crush, really Daniel."

"You do!"

"Does it show that much? Do you think he finally noticed?"

"Oh, I think he did."

"Do you think he will ask me out?"

"Um, I'm not sure. I've never seen him that scenario before."

"Terrific."

"You could ask him."

"That's what Sam said too."

"Sam is usually right, go ahead. I'm sure he would say yes."

The orderly was bringing Jack back from x-ray, when they passed the locker room.

"Stop," Jack ordered.

"Sir, what can I do for you?"

"I want to take a shower."

"Sir?"

"Dr. Frasier is probably going to stick another cast on my damn leg. I want to take a shower first. To the showers," he paused, when the young man did not move he continued. "That's an ORDER, son!"

Immediately after taking his shower Jack put on a clean shirt and a pair of pants with one leg. He also took time to brush his teeth. The orderly then returned him to the infirmary. Daniel was already gone and Dr. Frasier was looking at some x-rays.

"Those mine?"

"You know this is a first, the x-rays made it back before the patient."

"Sorry I needed a shower, it's been weeks."

"Well, I hoped you enjoyed it, because it is going to be a few more weeks before you get another one."

"Awe come on, Doc." He said with a whine.

"Sorry." She said as she turned to get the materials for the new cast.

"Me too, now I can't taking you dancing." He said with a laugh in his voice. He was waiting for a response hoping he had not misread her earlier. She had not turned around yet and was trying to think of a good come back. Taking a deep breath, "Well maybe we could just have dinner tonight?"

"I'd like that."

"Good, you can pick me up at 7. Hope you don't mind driving."

"7:00 sounds good. I really am sorry I have to put on another cast. This time it will be a short one, starting just below the knee and go down to toes. It will have rubber pad in the heel so you can walk on it, a little. No more than an hour a day." She started putting the cast on.

It was almost 7 when Janet Frasier was finally ready to leave. She had changed her clothes several times. It was very difficult to decide what to wear, to go casual or dress up. Although Jack seemed more like the casual type he usually wore fatigues on base. He might appreciate her wearing a dress, more. What she really wanted, was to turn the guy on. After trying on several, she finally decided on a nice little black dress.

When she knocked on the door it was a little after 7. Jack opened the door. He was wearing a black sweater and black cotton pants. As she walked through the door her coat opened up revealing the way she was dressed. He was clearly staring.

"I'm sorry I'm late." She said distracting him.

"It's not a problem...You look terrific," he said with a smile.

"Thanks, so do you."

"Hey Doc, do you like Italian, Chinese or is there some place you want to go?"

"Whatever you want is fine." She paused, "Only Jack, I'm off duty, no more Doc."

"Sorry, Jan." No one had called her Jan in a long time. It sounded special.

They chose a nice Italian restaurant. They talked all through dinner. Not just about work but about their personal lives, family and friendships. For awhile it seemed as though she was doing all the talking. After a few beers, Jack relaxed and started to open up. After dinner, Janet drove him home. He invited her in for awhile so they could finish their conversation.

"Would you like some thing to drink?"

"Sit down I'll get it, you really need to rest that leg." Janet headed for the kitchen. Jack didn't argue with her as he flopped down on the sofa setting his leg on a pillow on the coffee table. She quickly returned with to glasses of soda and sat down aside Jack on the sofa. They resumed their conversation on gate travel. She had only gone through the gate once and was very curious about other worlds.

"You know maybe once I'm out of this cast, I could show you some of the other worlds. The General was talking about doing some follow up missions. A Doctor might be handy, make sure we haven't passed along some bug or something."

"Do you really think he would let me go?"

"I don't see why not. He let you go before."

"It sounds so romantic to walk under the moon and stars of some distant planet." She said as she leaned up against him. He put his arm around her.

"I know of one place that has 3 moons maybe we could go there some time, very romantic." Placing his index finger under her chin, he raised her up to his waiting lips. They continued to kiss into the night.

There rest of the day was beautiful; Sam loved working with MacGyver out at the job site. They worked side by side; she helped him as much as possible. She often found herself day dreaming about how it would be if she took him to work with her. Of course it was impossible without clearance. That evening they had dinner with SAM and Lisa. Every thing seemed to be going great. There wasn't any tension between Mac and his son it was just a great night.

After dinner the four went ice skating, it was open to the public. Mac was showing off his ability often skating backwards and speed skating with SAM. Mac and his son were very competitive. The girls just seemed to watch and cheer them on as they passed by.

"So you and Mac are getting along great." Lisa smiled at Sam.

"I really like him Lisa, he's so... so..."

"I know what you mean, I have loved him from the moment I met him. He has some thing you just can't describe. What ever it is, it works for him."

"Yes it does. Has he been dating a lot?"

"You don't have any thing to worry about he's crazy about you. He is not the type to date more than one women at a time."

"Even if" Sam looked around uneasy, "He wasn't ...well...if we didn't you know."

"He told SAM it wasn't about that. He said 'he really cares about you, just likes being with you'. He really is a nice guy I wouldn't worry if I was you."

"I hope you're right, I don't want to lose him but I'm not ready to do that yet. I just want to be sure everything is right."

"He'll wait, trust me. When I was younger he always said the right guy would be willing to wait. I don't think he is a hypocrite."

An announcement came over the P.A. system to clear the floor it was time for a couple skate. Mac skated up real fast, spraying ice as he came to a stop. He took Sam's hand and pulled her on to the ice.

"This one goes out to Samantha from Mac. Here's Celine Dion with the theme from *Titanic*." The DJ announced as he dimmed the lights. Mac skated backwards with his hand on her hips. Sam was blushing as she put her hands on his shoulders, skating forward. He touched his forehead to hers as the skated to their song.

Daniel did not recognize the car in Jack's driveway the next morning as he pulled in with Teal'c. Jack had asked him a few days ago to take him to town to get a few things at the store. Daniel had forgotten about Jack's big date with the Doctor the night before.

Daniel rang the bell several times no one seemed to answer.

"Maybe O'Neill is not at home." Teal'c remarked blankly.

"He has to be home, he can't drive and there is an extra car here..." Daniel was interrupted by the door opening. "Hi Jack...a I mean Doctor."

"Hi Guys, Jack should be out in a minute. Can I get you some coffee." Janet said as she led them to the kitchen and poured some for Jack and herself. She was dressed rather comfortably in Jack's over sized shirt and jogging pants.

"No thanks, a... hum."

"Danny! Teal'c! What's up?" Jack said he seemed to be in a very good mood. Daniel could not remember seeing Jack so happy. Jack hobbled over to Janet and kissed her on the cheek.

"You asked me to take you to the mall today, remember?"

"Oh yeah, Jan, do you want to go with us?" He replied putting his arm around her.

"I don't want to intrude." She commented.

"Oh no, it's not like that." Daniel was fast to intercede.

"Yeah, Sam goes with us all the time. We always do stuff as a group." Jack added, "Come on it will be fun."

"Are you sure? You guys don't mind?"

"Very sure." Jack replied as he squeezed her tightly. "You have to go. Come on!"

"Well, I can't go like this do you mind stopping by my apartment first?"

"No problem. Hey don't let me forget to stop at the cleaners I need to pick up my uniforms. Hammond wants me back on duty tomorrow." He added as nodded his head.

"Duty, what about your leg?" Daniel asked with alarm.

"Desk duty, some one cleared me for light-duty." He turned and gave Janet a dirty look.

"I'm sorry, he asked and I couldn't lie." She tried to defend herself. She was making very good eye contact; it seemed to melt Jack's harsh exterior.

"It's okay, I was bored out of my mind any way. Let's go."

Teal'c road up front while Daniel drove. Jack and Janet sat in the back; he had his arm around her the whole time. Daniel was shocked by Jack's behavior. He wondered if Jack was afraid to let go for fear that she might slip away. They dropped Janet off at her apartment and headed for the cleaners.

"So Jack, you and Janet... well...uhm...dating?" Daniel asked.

"I guess so we never talked about it."

"Oh, well I just assumed you were because she stayed over night, right?"

"Yeah she did but..." Jack paused to collect his thoughts. "Does she think that's what it means?"

"Is that what you want her to think? You haven't let go of her all morning. You should probably talk to her about. She looked pretty happy."

"I guess you're right." Jacked looked off as if lost in thought.

After picking up Jack's things, they returned to Janet's. Jack went up alone to get her. Daniel thought Jack was gone a long time, he figure they were kissing and he was right. After several minutes Jack and Janet returned, both smiling ear to ear.

The gang had a great time at the mall, teasing and joking with each other. Janet seemed to fit right in. Daniel noticed that Jack never really let go of her though. He was either holding her hand or had his arm around her. And more than once Janet sat on Jack's lap. When Jack had gotten tired and his leg was throbbing, Teal'c got him a wheel chair from curtsy desk. Jack pulled on to his lap to ride with him. Daniel was hoping the best for both, being a true romantic at heart.

The next day Mac made arrangements with a friend in the military to borrow an F-16b so Sam could take him flying. Sam was shocked that some one would just lend him a jet, but he explained that he had saved the guy's life in some foreign country years before and he trusted Mac. Also his friend had heard of Sam and her exploits in the gulf. When they arrived at the base, Mac’s friend met them at the gate. Joe was the base commander; Sam was very impressed that Mac had such influential friends.

On the way to the tarmac, they joked around telling old war stories, Joe told her about Gen. Hammond and how they had served together long ago. Soon they arrived in front of a very impressive jet all ready and waiting for them. Sam climbed up into the pilot’s seat first and then Mac got into the seat behind her.

They took right off and after a few minutes they were out over the ocean. Mac asked her to show off a little but she didn't want to. Sam didn't want anything to go wrong. After some teasing from Mac, without warning she pulled the plane straight up and started doing some aerial moves. Mac howled with excitement, as they seemed to be in some kind of roll.

"WOW, THAT WAS GREAT SAM!" She pulled the plane sharply in the opposite direction and once again Mac howled.

"ARE YOU ALWAYS THIS NOISY?"

"ONLY IN BED!"

They chatted over the intercom a bit and after a while headed back to base. Once on the ground they went home with Mac's friend, his wife had dinner waiting. There were more stories of how Mac saved Joe's life and how Mac had threatened to run away with his wife. Mac always liked teasing Joe. When their 17-year-old daughter, Jo, came in she immediately gave Mac a hug.

"Hi Uncle Mac." He had known her since she the day she was born.

"Hi Sweetheart, this is my girlfriend Sam."

"Hi I'm Joe. Did you bring your hunky son with you?"

"No! He didn't." Her father said rather harshly. "He's way to old for you any way."

"Sorry to break your heart, but he's living with some one now."

"You're kidding, damn what a lucky chic!" Every one giggled a little as she left the room.

"Some days it's really scary being a father!" Joe exclaimed. Mac nodded in agreement.

Sam and Mac spent the weekend in San Diego with her brother and his family. Cassandra was so happy to see Sam. They spent Friday night baby-sitting the three kids so her brother and his wife could go out. They played every game in the house, Sam was amazed that Mac played several rounds of 'Shoots & Ladders' without a complaint. She could feel herself falling in love with this guy.

At bedtime Mac gave each child a piggyback ride to bed. Once they were all tucked in and Sam was sure they were a sleep. She and Mac curled up on the couch for some serious cuddling & kissing.

"I'm sorry you had to play all those games."

"It was fun, besides it was worth it 'cause now I get to play with you." He smiled as he kissed her passionately, knowing full well that is all they would do.

They spent the next day at the beach with the whole family. Cassandra found a very young seagull; it had a broken wing. Mac made a splint out of some Popsicle sticks. He instructed her on how to care for the bird. They made a nest out of a box and some old newspapers.

"Do you really think he will get better, MacGyver?" Cassandra asked sadly.

"Well that depends on us. If we take real good care of him, he just might. Cheer up, I used to do this all the time when I was a kid. Haven't you ever taken care of a sick bird before?"

"We didn't have any birds...." Sam interrupted Cassandra.

"Cassandra why don't you go see if Mom has any bread we can give him." Sam was hoping this distract Mac as well.

"Also sugar and water too," Mac looked at Sam rather puzzled. "No birds, where was she from? I don't recognize her accent."

"You know the military, here she comes. Please don't make her talk about it?" Sam was pleading with her eyes as well. Mac decided to let it pass for now not knowing all the details. They fed the bird the bread dipped in sugar water.

"He likes it. Does that mean he will get better?"

"It's a good sign." Sam answered and Mac nodded.

Later Sam and Cassandra headed for the ladies room, Sam explained to her that she could not tell Mac any thing about her planet it. Cassandra didn't understand she thought that Mac was Sam's boyfriend and that she could trust him. Sam explained that it was still a secret even from him. Especially him, Sam thought to herself he already knew too much it would not take much more for him to figure it out.

Once they got home with the bird they made a better house in the garage as requested by her mom. The rest of the weekend Mac helped her care for it.

Monday was a very sad day; Sam was going back to Colorado. No one really ate breakfast they all knew she was leaving as soon as they went to school. No one wanted to say good bye, especially Sam. After a lot of hugs and kiss the kids finally left for school with their Mom. Her brother had already gone to work.

Sam had a few hours before she had to leave for the airport. She sat quietly on the bed trying to pack. Mac entered the room carrying a cup of hot tea for Sam.

"Drink this you'll feel better." She looked up as if she disagreed. He continued, "Please don't make this any harder than it is."

"Sorry, I just hate good byes." She sipped the tea and put the cup down. She was fighting back the tears.

"It's not good bye, it's I'll see you in a week or two. I promise I will come out and visit you as soon as I can." He kissed her gentle on the lips. She returned with a very passionate kiss. They laid back on the bed and continued kissing for a while.

"Do you want to make love?" Sam asked him softly.

"What?" He whispered between kisses. He wanted to but couldn't help feeling it wasn't what she really wanted. "Are you sure you want to?"

"Yes," she kissed him passionately. "I don't want to leave you lonely and frustrated. You'll never come visit if think you I don't want to."

"Sam, you don't have to do this, I can't believe I said that."

"You can't, you begged all week. Now I say yes and you don't want to!"

"It's not that I don't want to, I just don't want you to do this because you're leaving." He kissed her again, "I care about you I want this to be special. I want you to want it for the same reasons I do." She laid her head against his chest. They lay there without doing or saying anything until it was time to leave for the airport.

The drive home from San Diego seemed even longer than before. Every song on the radio reminded Mac of Sam. At one point he tried turning off the radio, but that left him alone with his thoughts. That was even worse. When he returned home he was hot and tired, and tried relaxing in a cool shower.

"Hey Dad, you're back," SAM said as he watched his father toweling off.

"Yeah, got back about 20 minutes ago." Mac sounded a little down.

"Are you gonna go to Colorado to see her?" SAM asked, trying to cheer him up. Mac nodded and was about to say something when SAM noticed several small hickeys on his father's neck. "What the hell happened to you?" Mac just looked up unsure of what he was talking about. "I thought you said hickeys were immature, childish, ugly, and a form of branding."

"Well... um...you see...."

"Are you trying to say you wanted to be branded? Have you gone for the big *C*?" SAM said, laughing, knowing full well his father's fear of commitment.

"No. It's just a few hickeys, no big deal."

"Yeah right, did you give her one?" SAM was trying not to laugh.

"Yeah, but it doesn't show." He laughed a little. "She was worried she might get in trouble."

"Does this mean you finally scored?"

"No I just moved her shirt a little. It is not about sex, SAM." He gave his son a real serious look.

"That's why you put your mark on her, so she couldn't date anyone else, right?"

"She started it." Mac sounded like a child as he started to laugh.

"So when am I driving you to the airport? You are on the first flight out aren't you?" SAM asked as he flashed his dad a big grin.

"I'm hoping to get an assignment out that way, Pete said there might be something in a week or two."

"Can you wait that long?" Mac raised his eyebrows in response. SAM added, "You got it bad, man!" Both men started to laugh.

COLONEL J. O'NEILL read the plate on the door. Behind it, Jack and Janet were kissing passionately, hands everywhere. Jack was leaning against the desk with his legs stretched out; this made him almost the same height as Janet who was standing in front of him. As he kissed her neck, she began to speak.

"Jack, I 'm sure this is against every regulation."

"Do you want me to stop?" He gasped between kisses.

"No ... I just don't want to get in trouble." She continued to kiss him.

"With who? I'm in command as long as Hammond is in Washington." They continued to kiss.

"What about when he...." She was interrupted by an alarm.

"INCOMING! MEDICAL EMERGENCY! MEDICAL TEAM TO THE GATE ROOM! STAT!" the intercom blasted.

"We'd better go!" Janet pulled away and turned toward the door.

"Hey, you better button in your shirt!" Jack called to her as he tucked his own in.

They arrived in the gateroom just as the iris was opening. Several men returned through the gate and collapsed. They were all injured, some worse than others were. One man had to be carried by his teammates. Doctor Frasier attended to the most serious wounds first as stretchers and other medical personnel arrived.

"What the hell happened here, major?" Jack barked out.

"Landslide, sir. We're not sure how it started. It just happened."

"Any evidence of Goa'uld foul play?"

"No sir, the people in the village have never seen them."

"Very well, have someone tend to your wounds. Doctor Frasier, when will they be ready for a full debriefing?"

"I'm ready now, sir," the major stated as he stood at attention.

"At ease, major. Get medical treatment first. See me when she releases you."

"Colonel." Janet got up and walked over to Jack. "A word in private, sir?" He nodded and walked over to the other side of the room.

"Are they critical?"

"No, but it will be some time before I'll be able to leave. I was supposed to pick up Captain Carter at the airport in less than an hour."

"I'll send a car for her, don't worry about it."

"I have her flight info in my office."

Sam's flight arrived right on time. She was surprised that there was a sergeant waiting for her. He saluted her and asked to take her bags. She was a little uneasy about her greeter.

"Where is Doctor Frasier?"

"I'm not sure, ma'am. I was ordered to pick you up and bring you back to the base."

"General Hammond ordered you to bring me back to the base?"

"No, ma'am, Colonel O'Neill did. He is acting base commander."

"Where is the general?"

"Washington, DC"

"Oh. Is the colonel still in a cast?"

"Yes, ma'am."

The trip back to the base was quiet. Sam had time to think. At first she was curious about the circumstances on the base. Where was Janet? And Jack in charge, that was a scary thought. 'Wonder if they ever went out?' Her thoughts drifted to her own love life, 'Mac was great. I hope I didn't blow it.' She remembered the hickey, and checked to see if it was visible in civilian clothes. 'Almost. Hope no one will notice.'

The car came to a stop at the gate. They passed through without a problem. Sam immediately headed for Jack's office. She knocked on his door.

"Come in!" he barked.

"Problems?"

"Hey, welcome back!" He smiled at her. "Nah, business as usual. How was your trip?"

"Great. How's the leg?"

"Not bad. Jan says this might be the last cast."

"Jan? When I left she was the *damn doctor!* for putting you in a cast up to your hip."

He started to laugh. "Yeah, well, things have changed around here."

"I guess so. Are you really in charge?" She asked.

"Yeah, I can't wait for Hammond to come back. It sucks!" He said as the phone rang. "One minute."

"I'll come back later."

After dressing Mac found Lisa in the living room, folding clothes. "How domestic. What would your mother think?"

"She would probably have a fit, then run out and hire someone. What's that on your neck?"

"Nothing," Mac said very casually, as if it really were nothing.

"They're hickeys, Lisa," SAM said with a grin.

"What? Let me see." She lifted his chin to see. "MacGyver, it has come to my attention that you're out of control. As your friend, I feel I can no longer idly stand by and watch you self-destruct." SAM was trying to keep a straight face. Mac was smiling, knowing full well that he deserved it.

"MacGyver, you do see the problem? The hickeys are a small part. Ever since you met that girl you have been going downhill. The use of profanity like the word girlfriend. I just don't know it's not you. The other night you even dedicated a song to her and then skated couples. Come on, MacGyver. And worst of all, this no-sex policy. From what I heard this isn't you, either. You're the type of guy that just can't get enough."

"What? Where did you hear that?" Mac had stopped smiling. He was a little shocked that someone would say that.

"A very reliable source. Some one you dated the year before you two met."

"Who?" SAM wanted to know.

"Nobody. Lisa that's enough." He was on the verge of losing his temper. He knew exactly who.

"He's already met her, you know. Just because you're not friends, doesn't mean I can't be."

"Who is she?" SAM asked. Mac gave Lisa a look that said don't, but at the same time SAM was giving her a different look.

"Maria. You met her in New York."

"The one with the kid?" he asked. Lisa nodded.

"Kid! Please tell me that kid is less than 5."

"Anya is almost 3."

"Oh." He flopped back on the sofa. "She married?"

"Yeah, they got married just before Anya was born."

"Did you tell her I have a son?"

"No, I didn't think either one of you needed to know about the other. Are you still hung up on her?"

"She must have done a number on you." SAM was worried.

"NO! I'm fine, just surprised. Let's go get a bite." Mac jumped up, clearly trying to avoid any further questions.

"That's why you never mentioned her, right?"

"Look, it was a long time ago, and things didn't work out the way we planned. We wanted different things. Okay? Now you know every thing." Mac looked at SAM, hoping that would be enough. How could he tell his son that they broke up because he didn't think he was ready to have kids? "Besides, I'm dating Sam now. I'm happy, really. Let's go."

"Who are you trying to convince, me or you?" SAM said to his father.

"Hey, you two, stop it! That's all in the past. SAM, Mac has Samantha now, I can see clearly they are happy. Hey, one thing before we go. Do you have Sam's e-mail address?" Lisa headed for the computer, calling up his e-mail. She typed in something. She hit send before he could stop her. Maybe he didn't want to.

Sam made her way to the infirmary, hoping to find out what was going on with Janet and Jack. Janet was in her office reviewing patient charts from today's mishap. She did not notice Sam enter the room.

"Thanks for picking me up." Janet jumped as Sam spoke. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"I'm really sorry, we had a medical emergency."

"Who got hurt, are they okay?"

"They'll be fine, one of the teams got caught in a landslide. Tell me about MacGyver."

"You first, JAN. That is what Jack calls you?"

"Yes, it is." They both giggled. "Have you slept with MacGyver yet?"

"No, have you slept with Jack?"

"Every night since you called, sometimes twice."

"You're kidding?" Sam watched Janet shake her head with a devilish expression. "He really is an animal?"

"He's not the only one that's an animal." Janet pointed to the hickey that was just barely showing. Sam adjusted her shirt to show her quickly.

"You should see what I did to him. All along the side of his neck." Sam brushed fingers along one side of her neck. There was a knock at the door and Jack came in, shutting the door behind him.

"Hello, ladies," He paused a moment glancing at both women. "Jan, did you tell her?"

"Tell me what?" Sam inquired.

"That Jan and I are dating." Jack paused, waiting to see Sam's reaction.

"Hey, that's great, guys. Maybe we can double date when MacGyver comes out." Janet started to giggle when she heard Sam say double.

"Very funny, no giggling." Jack gave Janet a dirty look. "When is he coming out? I've got to meet this guy."

"I'm not sure. He was planning to be here within a few weeks, at the very least."

"Great. Hey, we're having the gang over tonight. Are you coming?"

"Sure, I'll bring some munchies. It will be nice not to be the only girl for a change."

"Is Daniel in the lab?"

"He and Teal'c are on a mission with SG-4. They needed the help. No sense those two hanging around here. In fact, I was planning on sending you out with SG-2 tomorrow."

"Is this temporary or are you splitting up SG-1?" She said sounding a little irritated.

"Hold on! It's only temporary," He said with a tone that meant 'back off.' "Only 'til I am back on my feet, literally." He smiled at his own attempt at humor. "They will be back later."

Sam was the last to arrive at Jack's house. She quickly found the gang in the living room. Jack was outside grilling some chicken wings, even though it was still winter. As Jack came in, he welcomed her and gave her a beer. Sam accepted it with out even thinking of Mac.

Sam couldn't help but notice this wasn't Jack's typical "having the gang over." Generally there was no food, only beer, and after a while they would order pizza or something else that delivered. There was already some food on the table, as well as bowls for the stuff Sam brought. She didn't even realize Jack had bowls. He usually passed the bag of chips around. She went into the kitchen to throw the bags away. Daniel followed close behind.

"Welcome home, Sam!" He greeted, which he followed with a big hug.

"Thanks. Hey, have you noticed anything different about Jack, lately?"

"Well, yes, but it is a good thing." He replied.

"You really think so?"

"Yes, Sam. This is the happiest I have ever seen him. She is your friend; you encouraged her to go out with him. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I want them to be happy. It just seems to be going a little fast."

"I agree. I was a little surprised to see her here the next morning, but they are adults." He paused as he heard Jack belch. "Well, at least she is."

"I don't mean sex, I expected that. Look at this party. This isn't Jack's style, is it?"

"No, but as I said, this a good thing. He needs her. They are happy, look at them." Jack was in the living room talking with his arm around Janet.

"That's what scares me,” Sam said blankly.

"Stop worrying and enjoy the party," He said as he put his arm around her and walked her back to the group.

Sam did as he asked and had a great time at the party. They ate and played cards into the night. Sam had a few beers. She tried not to have too much but someone kept handing her another. She wondered what Mac would say, but he told her she could drink if she wanted to. She was sure he had onions at some point today.

It was late when Sam arrived home that night. The first thing she did was snap on her computer to check her mail. As she watched the many names scroll by, one name almost jumped out at her. She opened Mac's first. In big bold red letters read:
WELCOME
HOME
SAM!!!
Can't wait to be there with you.
Love, Mac

Early the next morning, Mac strolled through the lobby of the Phoenix Foundation. He was actually early for a change. One of the security guards called out to him, "Hey, MacGyver, Mr. Thornton wants to see you immediately. He said to escort you there myself if need be, but he wants you upstairs now."

"Thanks, Charlie, I'm on my way." Mac headed to the elevators.

Mac reached Pete's office just in time to hear him yell, "Helen, try his house again!'

"Whose house?" Mac said with a chuckle, knowing full well whose house.

"MacGyver, it's about time! Come in." They both went into his office and sat down. "Are you finally ready to come back to work?"

"Ah, come on, Pete. That was the first time I've taken any days off in months."

"Okay, I have two projects for you. First, I need you to write a proposal for an ecological study. This guy requested you personally; you did some work for him in the late 80's. Helen set up a meeting for you with the client for Friday at 2 p.m. Then on Monday I need you to be a technical witness on a court case with Willis. We booked you on a flight Friday night; Willis will join you Monday morning. Please don't forget to pick him up."

"Pete, that doesn't give me much time to prepare for either one." He paused, "Why am I going out ahead of Willis?"

"I thought you might like a chance to look over the project site when no one is around."

"Are you expecting trouble?"

"MacGyver, you of all people don't need to ask that question. It seems like a simple case but with you involved who knows!" Pete chuckled as he handed Mac an envelope and two files. "Your airline ticket should be in the envelope. You'd better check it."

Mac opened the envelope and checked the ticket. "Pete, this is to Denver!"

"Of course, that's where the trial is. Now get to work!" Mac started to leave. "Have a good weekend!"

"Thanks!" He made a fist and pulled it back along his side as he left Pete's office. "YES!"

Shortly after Sam departed with SG-2 for a mission, Janet returned from the Air Force Academy Hospital. "May I come in, sir?" She said as she knocked on Jack's office door.

"Yes, of course, doctor." He said, and turned to the man who generally dialed the gate. "Dismissed, airman." Janet waited until the man had left the room before entering, shutting the door behind her.

"Lock it." Jack said as he moistened his lips for a kiss. As he kissed her, he could sense something was wrong.

"Do you know where Sam is?"

"P3X something, I sent her there with SG-2. I talked to Ferretti before the briefing."

"About what?" She interrupted.

"I just asked him to treat her with respect, that's all." Janet was frowning at him as he spoke. "A mistake, huh?"

"If she finds out, she'll kill you."

"She won't! So, what's wrong? Besides my screw-up?"

"I just got off the phone with Sam's brother."

"Cassie okay?"

"She wants to come home. She found a seagull over the weekend and it died. She locked herself in her room and refused to come down for dinner last night or go to school today. I called her. She said that she just wants to come back."

"So let her. You said it was on a trial basis. Wasn't she complaining before Sam went out there?"

"Yes, she was, but I was hoping she would adjust."

"Well, she's not, she misses you and you miss her. Hell, we all miss her!" Jack put his arms around Janet to comfort her. "Okay, can she come home?"

"How do I get her here? I just can't stick her on a plane. She's a little girl."

"There must be a way." Daniel entered without knocking. Jack stated sarcastically, "I told you to lock the door."

"Sorry if I'm interrupting."

"Daniel, Cassie wants to come home," Jack stated.

"Great!"

"How?" Jack asked as if Daniel knew how to solve every problem.

And after a moment, he did. "Sam's new friend, she said he was coming out to visit. Maybe he could bring her out."

"You never cease to amaze me."

"It's a great idea. I'll call him right away," Janet said. She used Jack's phone to call the Phoenix Foundation. After dialing several numbers she reached Helen. Mac was standing near the desk trying to fix her stapler.

"MacGyver, it's a Doctor Janet Frasier for you." Helen pointed the phone at him.

"Who, for me?" He paused, taking the phone. His heart was sinking. "MacGyver here. Is SAM okay?"

"Yes, she's fine."

"SHE? You mean Samantha Carter?"

"Yes, I'm a friend of hers. I'm sorry for the confusion."

"My son is SAM, too. I wasn't sure whom you were talking about. How can I help you?"

"I was wondering if you were really planning on coming out to see Samantha?"

"Yeah, I have a flight out this Friday. Did she ask you to call?"

"No, she 's out of town. Do you remember Cassandra?"

"Yeah, She's a nice kid. We even fixed up a bird together."

"Well, the bird didn't make it and she is really upset. She wants to come home. I was hoping you could..."

"Say no more, I'd be happy to. Let me see if I can get her on my flight. Uhm...do you know when Sam will be back?"

"I can find out. I'll call you back."

"Thanks. Give me about 15 minutes to check on flight info."

"Okay, bye."

Helen did some checking. She was able to get them both on an earlier flight out of San Diego. She also moved his meeting up to 9am Friday morning. He would have just enough time to meet them at the gate at the airport. Helen arranged to have Cassandra's ticket waiting at the desk as well as a crate for her dog. When Janet called back, she told him that Sam was due back Friday night and that he could drop Cassandra off at the Air Force Academy Hospital. Everything was planned, including surprising Sam.

Mac had a long day at Phoenix. He stayed late working on the proposal. He did not want anything to interfere with going to Colorado for the weekend. When he finally got home that night, the kids were at the apartment.

"Don't you guys have a place of your own?"

"Hey, Dad, you're late. Where have you been? There is some cold pizza in the fridge, if you want it." SAM peeked over Lisa's shoulder as she worked on the computer.

"You have e-mail, Mac" Lisa smiled at him.

"Don't you dare answer that. How am ever I going to explain the last one?"

"You don't have to explain anything, just admit it and tell her how you feel."

"Maybe she will sleep with you," SAM added.

"Stop! First, this is not about sex!"

"Dad, it's okay. If you have a problem, I can get you Viagria."

"AARGHH!!! I DO NOT have a problem!" Mac stormed off to his room carrying the cold pizza.

After awhile Mac heard a knock on the door, and Lisa popped her head in. He did not answer her; he just looked up at her as to say what. He was sprawled across the bed leaning on his elbow while he ate and watched a tape, a short-lived western that was on a new network.

"I thought you might like some milk." She entered the room carrying a large glass of milk.

"A peace offering? Where is SAM?"

"He had to go to work. They beeped him. There is a fire somewhere they want him to shoot." Mac just nodded as he sipped the milk. Lisa sat on the bed next to him. "He was only teasing you. He didn't mean to make you mad."

"I know. It would be a lot easier to handle if he wasn't right."

"Right? You mean you have a problem, that you can't...?"

"Lisa, no not that. Actually I have the opposite problem."

"Feeling a little frustrated are we?"

"Just a little." Mac clinched both fists. "I keep telling him and myself that it's not about sex, but I can't help feeling like a hypocrite."

"You're not, are you?" She paused as he tipped his head with a questioning look. "You always told me that the right guy would be willing to wait. Are you?"

"Yeah, of course I'll wait, but I never said it would be easy. The more he teases the worst it gets." Mac said soft and serious. "I'm sorry about this evening."

"It's okay. I'll talk to him later. I'm sorry I sent that e-mail. I just wanted to help." Lisa looked down very sad. Mac shifted and sat up aside her. He placed his arm around and pulled her close.

"I know, sweetheart."

"MacGyver, I don't get it, why can't you just admit how you feel?"

"It's not that easy. Every one I have ever loved has died on me." Lisa looked up, shocked. She knew he had a few girlfriends (including SAM's mom) that had died, and about his family.

"How could you say that? What about SAM or Pete? Or me? Don't you love us?"

"Of course I do!" He tried to pull her closer but she resisted, wanting to make eye contact.

"Well, how could you say that?"

"I'm sorry, I do. I really do." He was pleading with his eyes for her forgiveness.

"Say it!" She smiled at him.

"What?" He smiled back, hoping that all was forgiven.

"Tell me that you love SAM and me."

"Which Sam?"

"You can't do it, can you?" Her smiled faded and so did Mac's. The silence seemed to last forever.

Mac was starting to have a really bad feeling deep in his gut. He knew the longer he waited the worst it would be. He lifted her chin so he could look her in the eye. He took several deep breaths.

"Lisa, you are one of my best friends and always will be." He paused, knowing that was not enough. "I love you." She smiled and threw her arms around him.

"I love you too, MacGyver, now you just have to do that in Colorado," she whispered in his ear. He just shook his head over and over.

Friday morning was very rushed. Mac was so busy the night before finishing the proposal that he had fallen asleep at his desk. If it had not been for SAM and Lisa coming in to use the computer he would have slept through the meeting. SAM offered to help him pack up the file. Mac realized he had not packed any clothes for the weekend. Lisa went to the bedroom and started packing his clothes. He shaved and showered in record time. He entered his room wearing only a towel. Lisa was still packing.

"There better not be any funny stuff in there!" Mac said. He went to the dresser to get out socks and underwear.

"You mean like leopard skin briefs?" SAM said from the doorway.

"Exactly! Not that I own any, mind you! Get her out so I can get dressed!" As soon as they left the room he hurried to dress and throw a few more things into his bag. He rushed to Phoenix, praying all the way that he would not get pulled over.

He was late for the meeting. He cursed the elevator all the way up for being so slow. He kept thinking he could have run up the stairs ten times faster. He was worried if the meeting ran late that he would miss his flight. As he burst through the door of the meeting room, he felt relief and panic all at once.

Every one was there except for the client. He apologized to all for his tardiness and sat down beside Pete. He leaned in to Pete and asked about the client. After waiting another 15 minutes, Mac had worn a path in front of the windows where he had been pacing. The client finally arrived. As the meeting started he could see Mac was rushing through his presentation. After a short explanation, the client apologized and offered the use of his helicopter.

With the offer in mind, Mac slowed down. The meeting went very well and the client was impressed. Mac had worked for him in the past and both knew it was a good cause. As soon as the meeting was done Mac raced to the parking garage to retrieve his carry-on bags. Once in the helicopter Mac began to relax. He would actually be early.

Safely on the ground at the airport in San Diego, Mac was able to meet up with Cassandra at the gate. After a few minutes they made the call to begin boarding, first class and anyone traveling with small children.

"I guess that's us," he said to Cassandra. He never thought he would be traveling with a kid. This was a new concept for him. There were many hugs, kisses and slightly teary good-byes as they boarded the plane. On the plane Mac put the larger of his bags in the over head compartment and his backpack under the seat. Cassandra followed his lead and placed her school bag under there too. They settled into their seats for the flight.

"Did you bring anything to read, Cassandra?"

"Yes, I brought Black Beauty and my journal." She said as she pulled them both out. The cover of the journal had many small sketches, mostly horses but there was one of the gate with two moons above it.

"What's this?" Mac asked pointing to the gate.

"Oh that. It's nothing." Cassandra was scared. Sam had told her not to tell him anything. What we should do now? "What did you bring to read?"

"Oh, I brought Dr. Jackson's book. Have you read it?"

"No but Daniel is a great guy. He took me to the museum. It was a lot of fun! He knows everything."

"Oh. Did Sam go with you?" Mac asked hoping to find out more about their relationship.

"No, Teal'c did. Sam went shopping with Janet. And Jack thinks museums are boring. He'd rather go to a hockey game."

"I like both. What about you? Have you ever been to a game?"

"Yeah, Jack and Teal'c took me. We had a great time." Cassandra was smiling. She liked doing things with the team.

"Sounds like you have a lot of good friends. What kind of things do you do with Sam?"

"The last thing we did before I left, was go to the movies with Janet, we saw Titanic." Mac looked very puzzled. "What's the matter?"

"Well, I took her to see that, too. She never said anything. I wonder why? I would have seen anything she wanted."

"Maybe she just wanted to see it again, she really loved it." He nodded and they both started to read.

Mac's bookmark was a piece of paper. On it he had jotted down some questions regarding the book. On the back of the paper he made some notes when he was sure Cassandra was sleeping.

Cassandra SGC

No accent top secret

No birds theoretical astrophysics

2 moons & archaeology

A large ring

They had no problem landing and renting a car. Although Mac did ask Cassandra to take the dog outside while he picked up the keys. He did not want to get hassled by the clerk for having a dog in the car. Denver was about an hour north of the Air Force Academy Hospital. On the way Cassandra showed him were Sam lived, so he could go back and surprise her later.

It was cold in Colorado. Mac was wearing a Kings cap and had his collar up. Almost none of his long hair was visible. He was amazed that several airmen saluted him. Even Janet had to take a second look to be sure. Actually she could not help but stare, he really did look like Jack.

Friday night, finally. Sam had a horrible week. They were in mud up to their waist during most of the mission. She could not remember how many times she had slipped. Major Ferretti had done as Jack had asked. He showed her the same respect he would any other officer. When the team stopped for a break, some of the men made wise cracks when she disappeared into the woods. Sam had enough of those guys and opted to shower at home. She didn't feel like waiting for all of them to finish. She was beat and bruised and wanted to go home.

At home, Sam started a bubble bath and turned on some soft music. She lit some scented candles and turned the lights off. She stripped down and put on her bathrobe. Her stomach called to her so she started warming some soup. There was a knock on the door. Too tired to think, she answered in her robe. As she opened the door Mac reached out to touch her face and pull her in for a kiss.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you. I have to testify next week. Rough day?" He said, touching the dirt on her cheek.

"Horrible. I was just about to slip into a hot bath."

"Okay, I'll wait, go." He tried to signal her to go as he removed his boots.

"Well, I was making soup." She seemed a little nervous.

"I'll finish it and bring it in." She stopped and stared at him. "I won't peek, I promise."

She agreed and went to take her bath. She washed her face and slipped into the tub. The bubbles were up to her chin. She was starting to relax. When he brought her the soup, he could hear it in voice.

He sat down on the floor next her as they chatted. He explained that he would be in town as long as they needed him in court. After that, he would be expected back. She suggested that he drag it out and leaned over to kiss him. Mac offered to wash her back. Gently he caressed her back with a sea sponge. With each stroke she relaxed more when her eyes closed, he ever so lightly kissed her shoulder. She looked up at him and after the longest moment she kissed him passionately.

Friday Night...

Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c showed up at the Air Force Academy Hospital. They were very excited to see Cassandra. Jack was the first to scoop Cassandra into his arms and spin her around.

"Jack, be careful of your leg," Janet warned.

"Welcome home, Kiddo!" Jack let Cassandra down and she ran to Daniel. Jack gave Janet a hug and a kiss. "Speaking of the leg, how about cutting the cast off."

"Why did Jack kiss her?" Cassandra asked Daniel as he crouched aside her.

"Well...sweetheart, they're...um...dating?" Daniel wasn't quite sure what to say.

"REALLY!" Cassandra was smiling.

"Really." Teal'c bent down and gave the girl a hug.

"If you want that cast off we better do it now. Otherwise we won't eat till late." Janet was cold as she spoke. She got out the necessary equipment. Jack hopped up on the table ready to be freed. Janet went right to work as Cassandra told them all about the flight with MacGyver.

"There, it's off. I'll call an orderly to take you down to x-ray." Janet started toward the phone.

"That's all right, Danny can drive!" Jack pointed at Daniel.

"Oh, sure." Daniel noticed the wheelchair in the corner. Once down the hall on their way to x-ray, Daniel spoke again. "So, Jack, what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Was it me or was Janet a little cold?"

"Well, just a little. Do you think it was because you asked to get the cast off?" Daniel talked as he pushed.

"No, I don't think so. She was complaining that I hit her with it last night in bed..." Jack's word trailed off. "Why do I have a feeling that I'm about to become the world's most frustrated guy?"

"You think she's worried about Cassandra seeing too much?"

"My ex used to. We would have to wait until he was sound asleep." Jack was twisting back and forth in his chair to see Daniel's face.

"But, Jack, you were married."

"Shit, I'll never get to sleep with her again." Jack buried his face in his hands.

"Well, I can take Cassandra to the museum for the day."

"It's not the days I'm going to miss. I'm going to miss sharing a bed with her. We haven't slept apart since we started dating."

"You get used to sleeping alone, trust me." Daniel sounded very grim.

"Oh, Daniel. I'm sorry." Jack reached for his hand. The rest of the walk was silent.

The x-rays showed that Jack's leg was healed and no need for another cast. He wanted to celebrate. The first thing was to drive. Second was out to dinner with friends. Cassandra chose the restaurant, something everyone liked -- pizza. After dinner, Jack invited everyone to his house, but Janet declined, insisting that it was late and Cassandra needed to get to bed.

Daniel and Teal'c took Cassandra to play video games at the other end of the restaurant. Jack took advantage of the time alone. He tried to talk to Janet about them spending the night together. That he would miss her. That it wasn't about sex. The whole thing ended kind of ugly. She was determined to raise Cassandra right and set a good example. No matter how much it hurt. Soon after, Janet took Cassandra home.

Jack was depressed. He told his friends all about the fight and ordered another beer. Daniel had a feeling Jack was about to kill the pain. Daniel knew he couldn't stop him but he could make sure he got home safe, and tomorrow he would try to find a solution.

The next day Mac and Sam went to the mall. Lisa had neglected to pack him socks. As they shopped, they where discussing how much he looked like Jack with his hat on. He tucked his hair under to show her. She saluted him. They both started laughing. Mac enveloped her in a hug and nibbled at her neck. They were slow dancing to the mall music. Mac felt a tug on his jacket sleeve as he turned he was slapped across face. There was a very loud crack.

"What the...?" Mac was in shock but caught himself

"How dare you do this!" The woman was very upset.

"Excuse me. What did I do?" Mac was still holding his reddened cheek.

"Don't give me that, Jack!"

"It's not Jack!" Sam responded quickly taking his hat off. His long blonde locks fall to his shoulders. The woman was speechless and embarrassed.

"I'm sorry! I wasn't trying..." Mac apologized with a small smile.

She interrupted. "I'm the one who should be sorry. I hit you."

"You must be Sarah. This is my friend MacGyver and I'm Samantha Carter. I work with Jack."

"Are you okay, Sarah? Let's sit down. I'll get us something to drink." Mac was always a gentleman.

They all sat at a table near the pretzel stand. Sarah couldn't stop staring at MacGyver.

"He only looks like him, otherwise they are very different." Sam was trying to distract Sarah.

"What did Jack say when you met him?" Sarah asked as she continued to examine him.

"Well, I haven't actually met him yet." Mac could see the confusion on Sarah's face. "Sam and I met in California. I just got here last night."

"Does he even know?"

"He was a little shocked at first, I think he's getting used to the idea now," Sam replied, making her presence known. Sarah was still staring. Sam could see Sarah falling for the sweeter version.

"I really am sorry I slapped you," Sarah stated and touched his hand.

"Hey, he must have deserved it." Mac pulled his hand from Sarah's as he felt Sam's hand on his leg.

"Are you related at all?" Sarah asked.

"I don't think so. I only have one cousin, Allie. But I haven't seen her in 40 years."

"Jack has a sister Allison, she is about 45." Sarah's words made Mac speechless "Jack has a photo at his house of his aunt and uncle and their son."

"Are you okay?" Sam put her hand on Mac's sleeve.

"Yeah, I just never knew. I never saw Allie after my dad died. They lived far away and my mom never wanted to make the trip. We just lost touch after that."

"If you talk to Jack about this, please do not mention you saw me. It's just that..."

"It's okay, I understand." Mac reached out and patted her hand. "Sam, do you mind if we head over to Jack's? I really want to know. It was very nice to meet you, Sarah."

"Same here, looks can be deceiving." Sarah leaned in and gave him a peck on the cheek. "Good luck!"

After several knocks on the door, Jack finally answered. He looked a wreck. His hair was sticking up in several directions, and he wore a wrinkled shirt and a pair of shorts. His eyes were bloodshot and his breath still smelled of beer.

"Morning, Sam, so he really does look like me. Hi." Jack rubbed his pounding forehead.

"It's afternoon and I've never looked that bad." Mac said sarcastically. Sam did a double take. He sounded too much like the rumpled heap now flopped on the couch.

"A little hung over? You guys have a party and not invite me?" Sam asked as she sat in a chair near Jack. MacGyver was busy checking out the photos on the mantle. "Where's Janet?"

"We had a fight last night, thus explaining the huge hangover."

"What was the fight about?" Sam was concerned.

"Sleeping arrangements!" Jack added. "Obviously I lost! I blew it, Sam. I really wanted this to work out."

"It will be okay, you'll see." Sam said, trying to console him.

"Not to change the subject, but do you know the folks in this photo?" Mac said as he handed it to Jack.

"Yeah, that's my aunt and uncle; my mom and dad; my sister and that's..." he was now pointing to the small boy in the photo.

"Is that you, Jack?"

"NO!" Both men answered together. They turned to each other.

"It's me. Those are my parents, James and Ellen."

"What?" Jack quickly pulled the picture out of the frame. "The names are on the back."

"Wait, don't show Sam." It was too late. She was already reading.

"BUDDY! I thought it began with an A." Sam was at his side, now holding his arm. "He guards his name better than we do the mountain."

"That's just a nickname. I guess this makes us cousins."

"Well, it helps explain the resemblance. Wait 'til my family finds out."

"I haven't seen them in 40 years. Are your folks still alive? Is Allie married, any kids?" Mac had a million questions. But they would have to wait, as there was another knock on the door. Sam offered to answer it.

"CASSANDRA?" Sam reached down to hug the little girl.

"Shit, Janet!" Jack jumped up and ran to get cleaned up before she could see him.

"Cassandra, how did you get here?" Sam asked.

Mac raised his hand cautiously. "Me, she was homesick."

"Surprise!" Janet stepped through with two shopping bags. Janet gave Mac a dirty look. He stepped forward and grabbed the bags. "We were planning to surprise you at dinner tonight."

"I'm sorry, it was important. I had to talk to Jack. I found out why we look so much I alike."

"Why?" Janet asked.

"We're cousins," Mac said happily as they all moved to the kitchen to unpack the groceries.

"You guys know each other? Did I miss something?" Sam was uneasy with their candor.

"We've been talking on the phone all week, trying to arrange to get Cassandra home," Janet said with a smile.

"I'm home to stay, Sam. I really missed everyone," Cassandra was pleading.

"It's okay, Sweetie, I missed you too." Sam gave the little girl another hug.

"Hey, there you are." Janet was looking at a freshly showered Jack. "Did you forget about dinner tonight?"

"Yeah, I guess so, sorry." Jack crinkled his face.

"Cassandra, why don't we take the dog outside. We can show MacGyver around." The three went out leaving Jack and Janet alone.

"So you have a new cousin." Janet was starting to cook dinner. "It's amazing!"

"Yeah, I should probably let my family know." Jack was nibbling on the veggies she was dicing. She slapped at his fingers playfully. He looked up to see her sweet smile.

"Are you going to tell them about me?" She was smiling as she fed him a piece of carrot. She let her hands land on his shoulders.

"You're not mad at me?" He had to ask, he was too confused not to.

"I don't want to fight with you. I had enough of that when I was married."

"Me too. I just want to be able to spend some time with you." Jack pulled her close to reassure her.

"Jack, we went over this last night, I was hoping you would understand."

"I do, but..." Jack was interrupted.

"But you're self-centered and...”

"I thought we weren't going to fight anymore?" Jack said softly. "I just want to be with you, even if it means sleeping alone." He kissed her, gently at first, and then with more passion.

Dinner that evening went very well. Sam introduced MacGyver to Daniel and Teal'c. MacGyver thought it was odd that Teal'c wore his hat the entire evening. He was also curious about were Teal'c was from, since he had no recognizable accent. Teal'c definitely wasn't from LA. Teal'c's somber mood stopped MacGyver from getting too inquisitive.

Jack filled him in on his family and tried to call them, but no one was home. MacGyver also tried SAM. Mac left a message on his own machine for SAM to call him at Jack's or Sam's. Jack showed some recent pictures of his family. MacGyver had only one photo of SAM to show, but he did it with pride. Jack studied the young man's face wondering if his own son would have looked the same.

"He's really cute. He was really nice at the park." Cassandra had broken Jack's concentration. "Too bad he wasn't younger."

"Hey! You are way too young to be thinking about boys like that." Jack told her as he tickled her.

"He seems to have that effect on girls. I noticed that when I was out there." Sam added.

"It's the MacGyver Curse. We all have it. Right, Jack?" MacGyver smiled at Sam. Jack just smiled.

After dinner they all settled in the living room to watch a video. Jack offered the adults a beer. He was surprised that Sam refused.

"Are you sure?" Jack asked again. "How about you, Cuz, you want one?"

"No, thanks. I don't drink."

"I get it. Sam, you're not drinking 'cause of him." Jack was sarcastic. "You do know she can drink most guys under the table."

"Jack!"

"Of course there was that time when she took her top off..." Jack stopped when Sam slapped him playful across his shoulder. MacGyver was laughing.

"If you want a drink you can have one. I don't want to stand in your way," MacGyver added.

"I don't want one. My choice," Sam stated firmly. "Okay?"

"Okay." Mac gave her a squeeze.

By the end of the movie, Cassandra was fast asleep. Janet was talking about waking her so she could take her home. Daniel was still worried about Jack.

"Why wake her? Jack has a guestroom. She could sleep here. It doesn't make much sense to wake her and take her out to a cold car."

Janet gave Daniel a stern look. And she turned her gaze on Jack.

"It's your call, Jan. I can carry her to the room or your car. I can do it now or later." Jack was trying to be supportive.

"That's a great idea, put her in bed now and then decide later if you want to stay." Daniel was trying to make everyone happy.

"Either way I'm going home," Janet stated.

"I slept on the couch at her brother's." Mac hiked a thumb at Sam.

"If you stay, I'll sleep on the sofa." Jack pulled Janet into an embrace. Janet smiled. She really missed him.

Jack carried Cassandra into the guestroom. Janet helped him tuck her in. When they returned to the living room, their guests were getting ready to leave. Each one had an excuse for leaving. Jack didn't really care. He was looking forward to spending time with Janet.

The next morning Cassandra awoke early. She was a little confused, waking up in a strange room. She soon realized she was at Jack's house. As she walked down the hall, she saw Janet sleeping alone in Jack's bed. In the living room there was a pile of blankets on the sofa.

"Morning, Kiddo." Jack called out from the kitchen.

"Good morning. What am I doing here?"

"You fell asleep last night. Is that okay?" Jack replied.

"I guess so." Cassandra was puzzled. She got right to the point. "Are you in love with Janet?"

"Would it bother you if I was?"

"No, it would be great. We could be a family." Cassandra was very excited.

"That would be great but she has to love me too."

"She does. She said so." Jack raised an eyebrow. She continued. "I asked her the other night, after we went out for pizza. She was trying not to cry."

"We had a silly fight. Don't worry about it."

"That's what she said."

"Did she really say she loved me or are you just a little match maker?" Jack asked.

"What's a 'match maker'?"

"Someone who tries to get two people together."

"No, you are together." Cassandra was confused. "Why did you sleep on the couch? My mom and dad always slept together and they were in love."

"Cassie, things aren't always that easy here." Jack crouched down and put his arm around her. "New things are always scary. Janet and I are still new. It takes time to get used to each other."

"Are you afraid Janet will yell at you?"

"No." He smiled. "But I am afraid of doing some thing stupid and losing her. I really care about her. And you too. And we will always be a family." Jack gave Cassandra a hug. He looked up over her shoulder to see Janet smiling back at him.

Brring, Brring. Sam began to stir as she heard the phone. She tried to stretch for it and tried not to wake MacGyver. He was curled up behind her with his arm wrapped around her waist. As she tried to slip away, he pulled her back. Finally, She was able to reach the phone.

"Hello, Captain Carter," A very sleepy Sam answered.

"Hi sorry to wake you but my dad left a message..." That was all she heard SAM say as she passed the phone to Mac.

"It's for you. Good night." Sam closed her eyes.

"Me?" Mac spoke in to the phone. "Yeah."

"Good morning, Dad. I guess this means you finally scored."

"No comment. What's so important you have to call this early?" Mac sounded bothered.

"You tell me. You left the message."

"I never mentioned calling me this early."

"We're heading to New York for a few days. The flight leaves in an hour. What is going on?" SAM was getting bothered now too.

"Sorry, business or pleasure?"

"Both. Dad, I'm running out of time."

"Oh. Yeah, remember that guy Jack, the one who looks like me? Well I found out why." Mac paused.

"Why?"

"He's my cousin. I lost touch with his sister before he was born. He really does look a lot like me."

"COUSIN! Wow, Dad! Does he have a big family? What did they say?"

"Slow down. There was no one home last night. He is going to try and get a hold of them today. He has his parents, a sister with some kids and a younger brother."

"Do they live there in Colorado? Are you going to meet them?"

"Most of them live in Chicago. Jack is going to try and arrange for us to meet them. I will let you know when. Okay? You better get going or you'll miss your flight."

"Okay. But I want details. Love you, bye"

"Me too, Bye."

Mac cuddled back up with Sam and kissed her neck. "Good Morning, would you like me to make you breakfast?"

"I thought you were breakfast." She kissed him more passionately. She rolled over on top of him.

The phone rang at Jack's house. Jack was washing dishes and Janet was in the shower.

"I'll get it!" Cassandra rushed to the phone. "Hello, Colonel Jack O'Neill residence, Cassie speaking."

"This is his mother. Is he there?" The voice on the other end asked.

"It's your mother."

"Thanks" Jack dried his hands and took the phone. "Hi Ma."

"Who was that little girl?" His mother asked nicely.

"That was Janet's daughter." Jack replied in the same tone.

"Oh and who is Janet?" His mother was still nice.

"Janet is my..." He paused as he saw her turn the corner in his bathrobe. He smiled. "She's my girlfriend, Ma."

Jack pulled Janet into a hug and kissed her. His mother heard the kiss.

"Isn't it a little early for them to be visiting?" She wasn't as nice this time.

"Ma, Cassie fell a sleep here last night. We didn't see the need to wake her."

"Jonathan O'Neill, Where did your girlfriend sleep?"

"That's direct Mom. Janet slept in my bed..." Jack stopped when he heard his mother.

"Oh my God!"

"Ma, I slept on the couch!"

Janet pulled away, her face red. She headed down the hall.

"Here Mom talk to Cassie again." He handed the phone to Cassie. "Tell her about Mac, Cass."

Jack followed Janet down the hall. "Jack, I have to get ready for work. Can you still watch Cassandra?"

"Of course. What's wrong? I thought you didn't need to be there for a few hours."

"What's wrong?" Janet shook her head. "What is wrong is your mother thinks I'm a slut!"

"WHAT?"

"Jack, she thought we spent the night together."

"I told her I slept on the couch. Besides this is the 90's." Jack held her tight.

"Yes but her first impression was that we did. She probably thinks I'm a horrible mother."

"Janet, please don't take this personally. If anything she thinks I'm the bad guy." Jack tried to get her to smile.

"You are!" Janet retreated into his room and slammed the door.

"Janet, please. I don't want to fight." He was talking through the door. His voice dropped to a whisper. "I love you."

After a long silence Jack heard the doorknob turn. He moved away from the door. Janet peeked out at him. He smiled, hoping the fight was over.

"What did you say?" Janet was whispering too.

"I don't want to fight."

"After that?" Janet shook her head.

"You heard me?" Jack whispered.

"Maybe? What did you say?"

"I said I love you. I'm sorry." Jack embraced her.

"For saying it?" Janet held him tight.

"No for not saying it sooner and fighting." Jack kissed her passionately.

"Excuse me, she wants to talk to you again."

Mac and Sam relaxed most of the morning, cuddling and snuggling. Jack had called to let Mac know his family was interested in seeing him and his son. They also made arrangements to go ice skating later in the day.

Sam made MacGyver promise not to compete with Jack on the ice. Jack needed to take it easy. He was only doing this for Cassie.

Daniel and Teal'c met the others at the rink. Cassandra was thrilled to have all of SG-1 and MacGyver on the ice. As Daniel and Teal'c walked in they could see Sam lacing up Cassandra's skates.

"Hey, you two almost ready to do this?" Daniel sat down beside Sam. "Any chance MacGyver doesn't know how to skate?"

"Any chance he wasn't captain of his hockey team in high school and college?" Sam replied. Cassandra skated off. "You hate this don't you?"

"You would too if you spent most of the time on your butt with Jack laughing at you." Daniel replied.

"I do not like this either, Daniel Jackson. I do this because I care a great deal for Cassandra."

"Teal'c, I care about her too. I just wish I didn't have to be humiliated in the process." Daniel defended.

"You don't have to worry Jack promised to take it easy." Sam smiled. "He won't be sending to the boards today."

"Well, that's a relief. Here he comes now with MacGyver." Daniel waved to both men as they skated by. "So how do you like dating Jack's cousin? You are going to keep seeing him, right?"

"Yes, I am." Sam paused. "It's strange they are so much alike and so different. Daniel, if I'm not careful I could fall in love with this guy."

"And this a problem because...?" Daniel gestured for her to continue.

"How about where we work, for starters?" Daniel frowned at her. Sam continued. "I just never thought of myself like that. I'm not the type to settle down and neither is he."

"So people change, you can too." Daniel put his arm around her and gave a little squeeze. "How much longer is he going to be in town?"

"He has to go up to Denver during the week but he wants to come down at night if we can be together."

"I had to drop some stuff off this morning. We are on the duty roster for a three-day trip. We leave first thing in the morning."

"Well, at least we should have the weekend together, barring any problems."

"What happens after that?" Daniel asked.

"MacGyver wants to play it by ear. He is planning on visiting as much as he can. Well you know what the say: Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Sam shrugged and feigned a smile.

The gang skated together most of the afternoon. The last song was for couples only. Mac and Sam skated together.

Jack was about to ask Cassie, when a young man from school got brave and asked her. He remembered her from before she went to California. Jack was reluctant to let them skate. His parental instinct had kicked in.

Jack, Daniel and Teal'c started taking their skates off. Jack was watching Cassie skate.

"So Jack, what happened last night? Did Janet stay over?" Daniel asked.

"Yeah, she did stay. We talked a lot this morning. We both want this to work. This isn't easy for either one of us. We've both been divorced. We don't want to screw up again. It's different because this time we have Cassie to worry about."

"Cassandra loves you both. Nothing would make her happier than for the two of you to be together." Teal commented.

"I know, Teal'c, but what happens if it doesn't work. Cassie would be crushed. I'd hate to do that to her."

"Would she not be just as hurt if it were to end it now?"

"Yeah, we all would. Janet and I talked to her this morning. On her planet there was no ‘wedding' but people did have monogamous relationships."

"Jack, does she know about...the birds and the bees?"

"We asked. She knows where babies come from but not how they're made. She also told us that on her world, only grownups are allowed to kiss."

"That's good." Daniel let out a deep breath.

"Tell me about it. I feel like killing that kid for holding her hand. What am I going to do when she actually starts to date."

"It could be worse, Jack. They could be skating like Sam and MacGyver." Daniel pointed them out. Mac was skating backward with his forearms on Sam's shoulders. She had her hands on his hips.

"Do you think if Janet had met him first she might have...?" Jack's words trailed off.

"No, I think Janet and Sam have very different tastes in men. I don't think either one are hung up on looks. I think the things that are important to them are deep inside each of you. Although some things may be the same. There are differences and that's what appeals to both of them."

"You really think so?" Jack pleaded.

"I know so. Janet has wanted to go out with you for months, since you had the ‘touch'. You just never noticed."

"Really? I just thought she was being nice to me. Why didn't you say something?"

"I wasn't sure you were interested. You never said anything."

"Well I'm definitely interested now!"

The gang went out for pizza after skating. They all talked through dinner. Cassandra told them all about Disney. She loved it and hoped to go again.

When dinner was finished, each went their separate ways. Sam and Mac went to her apartment. They snuggled on the couch.

"Do you want me to come down tomorrow night after court?" Mac kissed her neck.

"No biting. Daniel told me we're scheduled to work. I won't be around for a few days." She let out a sigh as he nibbled her ear.

"Where will you be?" He whispered between nibbles.

"Um...ah...that's classified." Sam was having trouble concentrating. "I'll call you at the hotel when I get back."

"What you do is always going to be classified, right?" Mac kissed her lips.

"Yes, I'm sorry, that's just the way it is." She kissed him.

"Okay." Mac kissed her as his mind raced, thinking about how he could figure this out. He kissed her again. ‘Drop it, MacGyver. Just savor what you have.' He thought to himself.

Jack brought Cassie to Janet's apartment. He tucked her in and kissed her good night on her forehead. He grabbed a pillow off of Janet's bed and headed for the sofa. He cuddled up with the afghan from the back.

He had drifted off watching TV. Janet came home and gently kissed his lips. After a few kisses Jack responded with a passionate kiss. When she pulled away, he opened his eyes.

"Come to bed." Janet smiled and took his hand.

"You sure?" He paused to study her face. "I'm really tired. What if I fall asleep?"

"Me too." She smiled. "Come to bed."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Lori