Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In the Past

by Wendy Parkinson
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
In the Past

In the Past

by Wendy Parkinson

TITLE: In the Past
AUTHOR:Wendy Parkinson
EMAIL: wendyparkinson@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Missing Scene, S/J romance
SPOILERS: "1969"
SEASON / SEQUEL: Missing scene from 1969
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: None
SUMMARY: Sam and Jack reflect on being in the past.
ARCHIVE: "Heliopolis" and "Sam and Jack", anyone else ask
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters belong to MGM, Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This fan fiction was created solely for entertainment and no money was made from it. Also, no copyright or trademark infringement was intended. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: All feedback and constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated. No flames please.

Sam stared into the fire, the flames dancing before her eyes. She imagined she could see animals, people, trees bending in the wind. The smell was evocative of camping trips when she was a girl, out in the woods with her father. SG1 often camped out on missions but never like this, never on their own planet thirty years in the past.

She was shaken from her musings by a soft snore. Glancing to her right she could see that Daniel had given in to sleep and lay in front of the fire, his hair flopping over his face. Fast asleep and without his glasses he looked almost childlike in the flickering firelight. To his right Teal'c was also resting, his back to her.

A voice broke the silence. "Captain?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Its weird - you know somewhere there's a younger me running around."

Sam was about to answer when Daniel stirred. Jack smiled at their archaeologist, stood up and pointed back towards the bus. "Go for a walk? It'd be a shame to disturb him."

They left the warm glow of the fire and wandered past the brightly coloured bus.

"That paint job must have taken them days to do," Sam remarked.

"Yeah, really far out."

Sam laughed, "I didn't believe anyone talked like that until we met Michael and Jennie." She paused. "What were you saying by the fire? Are you worried about running into yourself?"

"No, I just find the whole idea that there's another me out there very, very weird."

Sam was finding something very amusing and turned her head away from Jack so he couldn't see her smiling. He noticed anyway. "What's so funny?"

"I shouldn't....... I'm sorry, Sir." She straightened her face.

"Go on..... we're thirty years in the past. You can't be court-martialled for something you said before you were in the Air Force."

She looked up at the twinkling brown eyes that were encouraging her to continue. Sam hesitated, then took the plunge, "I was wondering what you were like then. You would have been about twelve? Going to school, playing sport, getting into trouble."

He laughed and shook his head. "Not me, I was well behaved."

"I believe you, Sir, but thousands wouldn't."

They lapsed into silence as they strolled on past the bus and down the dirt track. Sam stole a glance at Jack. He certainly looked better out of uniform, more relaxed, more handsome. Jeans and a leather jacket were much more flattering than fatigues. She stopped herself. Jack was her commanding officer, she shouldn't think of him like that. But being here, out of uniform, out of their own time, things didn't seem real somehow.

Sam broke the silence. "I couldn't believe what Daniel said before, I thought I was going to laugh."

Jack looked puzzled. "When?"

"When he said we came from a galaxy far, far away."

She caught his eye and found that he looked almost embarrassed.

"I'm as bad. You don't want to know what I said when I was being questioned at Cheyenne Mountain."

Sam waited expectantly. He took a deep breath.

"I told Major Thornbird that my name was James T. Kirk."

She stared at him in total disbelief.

"But the guy didn't believe me..."

"I wonder why?"

".....so I said I was Luke Skywalker."

Sam collapsed laughing, she was giggling so hard she couldn't get her breath. Jack looked slightly hurt. "Can't a guy have heroes?"

"Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker? Oh, Sir...." She started laughing again. "I never knew you liked Science Fiction."

Jack watched Sam laughing at him as if he'd never seen her before. She gradually began to calm down and realised that he was staring at her. Sam tilted her head on one side and stared back.

"Sam...."

Her mouth dropped open at his use of her first name. What was he going to say?

".....I really love your hair too."

She recognised Jennie's words of a few days ago. Sam felt herself beginning to blush. Jack continued.

"Its softer, prettier. Just like you are here." He lifted his hand and almost absentmindedly stroked her hair. "You look good out of uniform. Its nice to see you dressed like a woman, not a soldier."

Moving closer he slipped his other arm around her and pulled her slowly towards him, giving her ample opportunity to object. She spoke softly, as she moved into his embrace, "You could almost forget that we were Captain Carter and Colonel O'Neill. We could just be Sam and Jack...."

Her arms encircled his neck, bringing his mouth down to hers. They kissed tenderly, lovingly. Jack deepened the kiss and Sam responded to him willingly.

They broke apart, breathing hard, and gazed at each other in wonder. Jack spoke first.

"What just happened here?"

Sam brushed his face with her hand, his cheek slightly rough under her fingers. "Its because we're in the past, out of our own time. Out of uniform. Nothing seems quite real."

A frown crossed his features. "Are you saying that wasn't real? It felt real to me."

"What I'm saying is that it happened because of where we are. No, when we are."

"But of course it won't happen again...."

Sam smiled mischievously, "Well, not when we get back. But I think it'd be OK to do it again in 1969."

He leaned down to kiss her and just before their lips met he whispered, "Groovy."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Wendy Parkinson