Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

In The Dark of Night

by Wendy Gilliatt
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
In The Dark of Night

In The Dark of Night

by Wendy Gilliatt

TITLE: In The Dark of Night
AUTHOR: Wendy Gilliatt
EMAIL: x-philes@worldnet.att.net
CATEGORY: Sam/Jack, Hurt/Comfort
SPOILERS: None
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 1
RATING: R
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship, Possible Disturbing Imagery
SUMMARY: Sam and Jack are stuck on an uninhabited planet, or is it?
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This occurs in season 1, early enough that Sam is still not secure in the friendship, or the relationship she is drawn to with Jack. I hope you all enjoy.

MARRAKESH NIGHT MARKET
Words and music by Loreena McKennitt

They're gathered in circles
the lamps light their faces
The crescent moon rocks in the sky
The poets of drumming
keep heartbeats suspended
The smoke swirls up and then it dies

Would you like my mask?
would you like my mirror?
cries the man in the shadowing hood
You can look at yourself
you can look at each other
or you can look at the face of your god

The stories are woven
and fortunes are told
The truth is measured by the weight of your gold
The magic lies scattered
on rugs on the ground
Faith is conjured in the night market's sound

Would you like my mask?
would you like my mirror?
cries the man in the shadowing hood
You can look at yourself
you can look at each other
or you can look at the face of your god

The lessons are written
on parchments of paper
They're carried by horse from the river Nile
says the shadowy voice
In the firelight, the cobra
is casting the flame a winsome smile

Would you like my mask?
would you like my mirror?
cries the man in the shadowing hood
You can look at yourself
you can look at each other
or you can look at the face of your god

"We'll campers, doesn't seem to be much here," Colonel Jack O'Neill said as he stared at the trees that surronded them.

"No sir," Captain Samantha Carter responded," and I have finished gathering the soil samples."

"Excellent Captain. Well Daniel, what say we get out of here, I don't know about you but the bugs are driving me crazy, and we still have to hike back to the gate."

"Yeah, Jack, I think so," Daniel responded.

The team had been planet side for nearly six hours when they decided they'd had enough. There were no signs of civilization, and the planet was hot, sticky and swarmed with bugs. It was the kind of atmosphere that begged for sunscreen, bug spray, and a large air-conditioning unit Jack had thought to himself on more that one occasion. He was just very glad that Daniel hadn't found any rocks to fascinate him, and hold up the departure.

"Well campers, let's go home, and don't take any bugs as pets," he said as Daniel swatted at a particularly large bug on his arm.

"Ouch," Daniel cried as he shook the arm that said large bug had taken a bite from, before stumbling to a stop. "Jack," he called out hoarsely, sinking to his knees.

Jack and Sam were at his side instantly while Teal'c kept an ever vigilant watch around them. Daniel had begun to pale and gasp for breath as his friends knelt beside him.

"It's an allergic reaction sir," Sam said as she pulled an epi-pen from the first aid kit, and used it on Daniel. His breathing became easier and Sam nodded to her Colonel. " That should help, sir, until we can get him through the stargate, but we should really hurry."

"Okay, let's move out, Teal'c you get Danny, " Jack said as the large man had already begun to bend down to lift their fallen companion.

The four members of SG-1 fanned out as they double timed it back to the gate. Jack and Sam continuing to maintain a watch into the trees that surronded them, it simply wouldn't do for an unknown to get the drop on them now. Sam kept checking the ground in front of her before sweeping her gaze to the side, and she saw nothing to make her believe the ground was anything but solid. It therefore came as a complete surprise to her when the ground disappeared under her feet, and sent her plunging fifteen feet into a hole.

"Whoa, " Jack called as he saw his Captain disappear. Jack started to approach the site where he had last seen her slowly. He could see the hole where she had fallen, but the ground around it looked completely stable. Jack took a step forward, he had to see how badly she was injured, and found himself falling into the same hole.

Jack O'Neill was lucky in his fall, his landing cushioned by the body of his 2IC, who grunted sharply beneath him.

"God, Carter, sorry," he muttered as he scrambled off of her, her only response was a gasp as she gritted her teeth.

"O'Neill," Teal'c called,"are you injured?"

"I'm alright," he called. "Carter, you hurt bad?"

Sam shook her head no, knowing that while her injuries where painful, they where not life threatening. The same couldn't be said for Daniel. "Daniel sir, he can't wait on us."

"Yea, I know. Teal'c, get Daniel back to the gate, and come back for us. We've got the first aid kit, we'll be okay 'til you return."

"As you wish it O'Neill. I shall endeavor to hurry," Teal'c responded as he started out towards the gate, Daniel clasped gentley in his arms.

Jack scrubbed a hand down his face before turning towrds Sam. "Okay Sam, how bad is it?"

"Right arm and shoulder, and right ribs," she responded, her words clipped.

"That it," he asked appraisingly.

"That's enough," she muttered, as she started to force herself upright.

"Whoa, there Captain, let's see what we got before you go moving around."

Sam sank back to the dirt, shifting enough to be off the rocks, as Jack began to undo the harness that held her pack. She was glad for the order to be still as the pain was beginning to make her nauseous, and she really didn't want to disgrace herself by throwing up in front of Jack.

"Carter," Jack said apologetically, "I need to check and see what we are dealing with."

Sam nodded as she felt the Colonel push her jacket away and run his hands down her right side, pressing slightly as he went. Sam bit her lip as his hands inched slowly down her side, pain flaring as he pressed, but it was nothing to the pain that exploded when he touched her shoulder.

"Oh God sir, stop!"

"Sorry Carter."

"What's the damage," she panted.

"Two or three broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, and a cracked collar-bone. I'm gonna give you something for pain so I can have you ready to move when Teal'c gets back."

Sam nodded slowly as she watched the Colonel pull some Morphine from the first-aid kit, she didn't think this day could get much worse. She had no idea how wrong she was.

Jack pulled the stuff he would need to at least stabilize Carter for moving as he waited for the Morphine to take effect. If luck was with him, and her circulation was still okay in a few minutes, he could stabilize the dislocation without having to set the shoulder. Though he had done it before, the broken collar-bone made things trickier, and not just a little painful. The Morphine would help some, but not much if he actually had to pop it back in place. Jack's thoughts were interrupted by the crackling of his radio.

'General Hammond to ..........O'Neill.'

"Colonel O'Neill here sir, is help on the way?"

'Afr...not Colonel. We ar.........experiencing trouble.....Iris. I...is not safe........to use the ....gate at this time. Unsure as ....how long it .....take to fix. Can you make it?'

"General, you are breaking up. I understand a problem with the Iris. Captain Carter is injured, but I believe we can manage. Especially since we don't have a choice."

'No cho....Will send help as soo....as we can. Goo..luck.'

"Understood General, O'Neill out."

Jack toggled his radio off with a sigh, he didn't like this, not that he was expected to, but still. Turning around he meet the eyes of his 2IC, he could read her understanding through the glassy haze of the Morphine.

"You heard that right?"

"Yes sir. It may take awhile to sort that out. I think the Iris was trying to open and close during transmission, that would explain the signal fading in and out. I can't think of what would make it do that, or how to fix it other than take the Iris completely offline, and that wouldn't be good."

"AAgghh, Captain. We have other problems to worry about. Besides, you can't help from here."

"Yes sir," she replied as she looked down to where he was checking the pulse in her right wrist.

"Look, Captain. I'm no Dr., but we will have to set that shoulder. We don't know how long we'll be here, and the dislocation is impeding circulation to that hand."

"I sorta figured that sir. Just do it."

"I will Carter, but we need to ahh, well we need. I need to see it, since there is also a break in the collar bone. I need to work around that. If I help you sit up can you slide that arm out of your jacket and top."

Sam blushed furiously as she nodded at her CO, relieved that she was at least wearing a sports bra. Sam bit her lip as Jack helped her into a sitting position, it hurt, and the Morphine made her dizzy and light-headed. She willed herself to remain conscious, but she could see the walls of the whole swim around her.

Jack was not impervious to the problems Sam was having, he was very familar with the effects of Morphine, and he hurried to slide the jacket and shirt off her arm. Having succeeded he eased Sam back down, and wiped the perspiration from her forehead.

"Carter, ahh Sam," he said gently, "I'll try to hurry, just hang in there okay."

Sam nodded as she felt the Colonel get a grip on her arm and shoulder, and then the pain hit. Sam tried to bite her lip to keep back her moans, but soon she was begging him to stop.

"Sorry Sam, almost there," he soothed, hoping he wasn't lying to her as he willed the bones to pop in place.

Jack finally had Sam settled, the shoulder set and bound, feet elevated due to shock, and blankets covering her for warmth. He had noticed the definite signs of shock after finishing with her shoulder, and he knew that the pain had been the last straw. He was hopeful that she would improve after some rest, and the Morphine didn't hurt there. That only left him with one more problem, and it was a big one.

How were they going to get out of this hole? The walls were smooth, too smooth, and that bothered him. He felt like a sitting duck at the bottom of a fifteen foot hole, and for all intents and purposes, they were. They only had about 6 hours left of daylight, and they needed to get out before night-fall. It wouldn't be safe to spend the night down here, and the temperature would surely drop. So how was he to climb a fifteen foot smooth wall, and get an injured Carter out with him.

"This just isn't our day," he muttered to a sleeping Carter, as a clap of thunder, and streaks of lightening heralded the oncoming deluge. "Great, rain, what else could happen," O'Neill asked the heavens as he began to realize just how much water was filling their hole. Their natural cell was filling up, and there was no way out.

Jack helped Carter to a sitting position before rapidly shoving articles back in the packs. Shortly after the rain had begun Jack had noticied the water pouring into their pit from what appeared to be a natural drain near the lip of the hole. This additional water, combined with the already heavy down-pour, convinved Jack that they would be swimming before long.

"Carter, you gonna make it?"

"Yes sir," she replied weakly from her spot against the wall. Carter now wished beyond all else that the Colonel hadn't given her that Morphine. The pain was bad enough, combined with the dizziness and nausea caused by the pain med, she was sure she would either faint or puke. Neither a pleasant option.

"Okay Captain, I've got the packs, now all we have to do is keep our heads above water. If the hole keeps filling like this we will float right to the top."

"Yes sir," she responded, knowing it wouldn't be nearly as easy as the Colonel made it sound. She wasn't wrong, the water level continued to rise, and it took almost all her energy to keep treading water. Sam never realised she had nodded off until the cold water in her face brought her to reality with a start. She immediately thrashed in an instinctive panic, seemingly frightened by the hands that reached for her, and struggling to stay afloat.

"Captain, stand down," Jack called in his best military voice. He hoped the order would startle her out of the panic long enough for him to get a hold of her. Jack knew that panic was there worst enemy at the moment, and was relived to see her motion still long enough for him to get next to her. "Captain, relax, it's me," he said softly as his arm slid around her waist. "Okay Carter, I've got you. I want you to lean your head back against my shoulder and try to float. I'll keep you up, just relax and go with it, you understand?"

"Yes sir, but the packs. How can you keep me and them up?"

"Damn, Carter. You didn't hit your head too did ya. You know these things float, it isn't like their dead weight, and you're no bigger than a minute. I think I can manage."

Jack was unsure exactly how long it took for the water to approach the lip of the hole, but as soon as it was close he tossed the packs out, and began to think about hefting his limp Captain out next. He had already made a mental note to tell Fraiser about Carter's reaction to Morphine, but then again, he supposed one should be resting after getting that stuff. Oh well, none of this can be helped he thought, as he made to push Carter up and out of their prison. He was relieved to find that at the last minute, Carter roused enough to use her good arm to help pull herself out. Jack heaved himself out last, and immediately turned to look for shelter.

Jack finally had the two settled in a small but relatively dry cave as night began to fall on the planet. The rain was still falling and all was quiet, almost eerily quiet.

"How ya feeling Carter," Jack asked as he turned from the mouth of the cave to find her watching him.

"Well the Morphine has finally worn off, I hurt, but at least I can finally think straight. I think I like being able to think staight when I'm on an alien planet."

"Yea, I know what you mean. Captain, did you notice anything unusual about that hole?"

"Not really, but I wasn't at my best at the time. Why, what did you notice sir?"

"Just the sides were very smooth. Too perfect."

"Like someone made it?"

"Yeah, exactly. We still haven't seen signs of people, but we'll have to keep our guard up."

"Yes sir, and sir?"

"Yes Captain," O'Neill asked curiously as he noted the change in her tone.

"I'm sorry I got us into this sir. I should have been more careful."

"Wasn't your fault Captain. That hole was well hidden, I didn't see it either. Now get some rest Captain."

"Yes, sir, thank you sir."

Jack woke several hours later, shivering in the damp, cool air. He rose quickly, relieved to find the security perimeter still intact, but dismayed that the wood gathered earlier was still too damp to burn. He sighed as he turned back from the entrance, and huttled back down on his sleeping bag, relieved that at least his clothes had stayed dry in the water-tight baggies. Clothes, it was all it took to send his mind down the wrong alley. Clothes, he had helped one Captain Samantha Carter change into dry clothes. It was enough to send any hot blooded male into overdrive, and he had been no exception. He knew he had been attracted to her from day one, and now he had the picture of her half undressed to obsess over. This did not help his situation he thought to himself as he heard her moan beside him. He looked over at his lovely Captain to find her shivering and looking at him.

"Everything alright sir," she asked when she noticed him look at her.

"Yeah, just a little cold, how about you?"

"Same here sir, but I'm sure we will warm up when the sun comes up."

"That's true Captain, but it is several hours to daylight. Carter I think we will need to pool our resources," he said, even as he was sure he must be nuts.

"We would probably be warmer," she agreed, "and that would be nice, uhh, I mean nicer than shivering, that makes my shoulder hurt."

Jack bowed to the wisdom and soon found himself cuddled up with his 2IC in the darkness of an alien world. He was overwhelmed at how right it felt, and thus never noticed the rythmic noises that floated softly in the air.

Jack shifted slowly, so as not to wake Carter, before rising to check the perimeter alarms. All was quiet, with the exception of the bugs, and the temperature was increasing steadily with the rising of the sun. Jack turned off the alarms, and began to take inventory of the supplies. There was no telling how long it would take for help to arrive, and it was time he prepared for the long haul. They had MRE's for another 24 hours, they weren't planning on a long mission, and so food would be a priority. Shelter had been taken care of, there was no need to move from the cave as it was close to the gate, and provided a roof. The first thing on the list would be water, they had little left and it would be a hot day. Jack hated these planets, hot by day, cold by night, for once he would like a happy medium. Oh well, no time for wishing, he wanted to take a look around before it got warmer.

Sam Carter opened her eyes in response to the rumble of the Colonel's voice. "Carter, I need to scout around for water, can you use your side-arm left-handed?"

"Well enough Colonel, but I could help."

"No way Carter. You need to rest, you're in no shape to go traipsing around the planet."

Carter nodded once before O'Neill rose, heading out to begin the scouting. Sam was frustrated, and in pain, and there was little she could do about either. Sam had really hoped that she would feel better this morning since the shoulder had been set, but the opposite was true. Her shoulder and side throbbed, and even breathing was difficult. She had never had this many broken ribs at one time, and she couldn't believe how diffcult it made everything including sitting up, but she would manage.

Jack was careful to leave a mark near the point where they had fallen, so Teal'c would be able to tell they had gotten out, without giving away their location. He was uneasy, something wasn't right, but he was hard pressed to tell what exactly that was, and he knew that he had to get back to Sam. He grabbed the now full Canteens, and headed back to the cave, he was uneasy, and something told him they shouldn't seperate.

"Carter," he called before he had completely entered the cave.

"Right here," she called, painfully making her way to her feet when she heard the tone."Is there a problem sir," she asked as she approached.

"Not sure Carter, but I really don't think we're alone here. You up to taking a look at something?"

"Sure sir," she responded, following him slowly out of the cave.

"It isn't far Carter," O'Neill said as he lead her into a clearing in the opposite direction from the one they had traveled the night before. "I found water just beyond the next clearing, but I also found this," he said pointing to the ground just ahead of them. There, within the boundary of trees, was a circle of dead saplings and the vaguest impression of footprints in the dust. The area was dry, as if it hadn't rained here last night, and the footprints were overlayed with a layer of streaks.

"Definately looks like someone was here recently sir, but it couldn't have been last night, we would have heard them. Yet, wouldn't the rain have washed away the tracks."

"Except it's as dry as a bone here, doesn't even look like it rained."

"Yes sir, you're right about that, and there's something else. The tracks almost look like they've been brushed at, obscured in the dirt."

"You mean someone tried to erase the tracks?"

"I'm not sure it was intentional sir, more like someone's dress dragged over them lightly, but that isn't the weirdest part."

"Oh Carter, and what pray tell is?"

"The tracks all go in circles. There isn't a single track to or from, and the ground is wet just outside of the dead saplings. Sir, I think we need to get out of here. I think maybe we are disturbing a ceremonial site."

"Great, disturbing the ceremonial site for a bunch of aliens that we haven't seen hide nor hair of since we got here. What can they do?"

"I wish you wouldn't ask things like that sir," Carter responded as the ground shook, and both team-members were knocked to the ground.

The ground continued to shake forcefully, and the team-mates were unable to do anything other than hoping the trees didn't fall on them. The shaking died down quickly and Jack scrambled to were Sam lay face down in the dirt.

"You okay Carter?"

"Yes sir," she replied weakly, but as yet hadn't moved. "Just give me a minute sir." Sam was hoping the minute would allow her to control the pain enough to climb to her feet. She had not been injured any further, but the fall had caused pain to flare in her shoulder and side, and she desperately wanted to hide it from O'Neill.

"Come on Carter, we'll take it slow," he said softly as he helped her to roll to her back.

"It's okay sir, I'm alright, honest."

"Sure you are, that's why you have such a nice white color in your cheeks. Now I know you're hurting, so just let me help."

"Yes sir," she mumbled as O'Neill helped her gently to her feet.

"Let's head back to the shelter, you steady," he asked before bending to pick up the canteens.

"Yes sir, I'm right with you," Sam replied, relieved that the Colonel was going to let her walk on her own steam.

"Whadda ya think that was Carter? Some kinda earthquake?"

"I can't say for sure sir, but it was brief, and somewhat light. I think it may have been an aftershock. There could have been the real thing here several days ago."

"Well we'll have to see how the cave faired, but it looked pretty sturdy."

"Yes sir. I think perhaps it was carved or formed over years out of a large stone. If that's so, then there shouldn't be any smaller pieces to fall."

The two arrived back at their shelter, and discovered all in one piece. There didn't appear to be any smaller rock portions of the cave that could fall.

"I think we'll be okay here sir," Sam said as she sank down on her bedroll. The pain in her shoulder was terrible after the fall, and the muscles in her neck protested the effort she was going to in order to protect the arm. Sighing softly, Sam eased her way to her back, and closed her eyes against the throbbing pain.

Jack crouched beside his 2IC, knowing she was in more pain than she was telling.

"Sam, let me look at your shoulder. Let's make sure you didn't hurt yourself in that fall."

"It's okay sir, I'm.."

"Hush Sam," he said gently, "Just let me see."

"Yes sir," she responded as Jack slipped his hand under the collar of her shirt to feel the bones. Sam was now forced to hide the pain, and how good it felt to have her CO's hands on her skin. 'Don't go there Sam,' she reminded herself, her thoughts broken by his voice in the silence.

"Well, it feels okay, but I know you must be hurting. I can give you something for pain if it would help."

"I don't know sir. I'm not sure about being fuzzy headed when we don't know what's around."

"I know what you mean, but Sam, if it gets too bad let me know. I'll give you something milder than the Morphine, and I'll stand guard."

"I'l let you know if I can't handle it sir," she responded, knowing she wouldn't be about to admit defeat.

> They're gathered in circles
> the lamps light their faces
> The crescent moon rocks in the sky

Night fell with a darkness that seemed deeper than normal, and the fire that burned did little to dispel the gloom. Jack could admit to an uneasy feeling that defied rational explanation, and he wished the SGC would hurry. It was a double edged sword that the person whose company he enjoyed most, was the one that would have stood the best chance to rescue him.

"How ya doin' Carter," he asked Sam where she sat beside him, fighting the temptation to let her eyes close.

"Fine sir," she mumbled.

"Why don't you get some shut-eye Carter, you're already half asleep. I'll keep watch."

"You can't stay awake all night."

"I'll wake you later. Now slide down and get some sleep."

"I'm fine like this," she murmured without opening her eyes.

"You gonna sleep sittin' up?"

"Yes sir, hurts to breath laying down."

"God Carter, don't you go getting pneumonia because of those ribs," he said to his already sleeping 2IC. Jack shook his head, as he tugged her into a more comfortable position resting against his chest. 'Nothing wrong here,' he told himself, 'just gotta make sure she's okay, can't help it if it feels nice.'

"Great Jack, you almost had yourself convinced," he whispered to the darkness.

> The poets of drumming
> keep heartbeats suspended
> The smoke swirls up and then it dies

Jack never realized he had dosed off, until he woke to a rhythmic drumming in the distance, a noise that set his nerves on edge, and caused his heart rate to quicken.

"Carter," he whispered to the young Captain, still asleep on his chest. "Carter, wake up."

Carter woke quickly, and pushed herself off of Jack's chest into a sitting position. "What is it sir?"

"Listen, you hear that?"

"Drums," she whispered. "Sounds like they're coming from the direction we came from this morning. What do you think it is?"

"I don't know, but we need to find out. Can you make it, I don't like this, and I don't want us to split."

"I'll be fine," she responded as they rose and gathered they're fire arms. The two left the cave quietly, never aware of the invisible eyes in the dark.

Jack was amazed and disturbed at the sight that met his eyes through the trees. He crouched silently next to Sam Carter as the sight played out before him, noticing his 2IC was equally amazed. A group of underdressed men and women danced in a circle around a bonfire, a drummer, and a large hooded man. The hooded man even gave Teal'c a run for his money on size, Jack noted absently.

"What are they doin' Carter," Jack asked.

"I'm not sure sir. It looks like a ritual, but I can't understand the chanting to tell what it's about. To bad Daniel's not here."

"Yeah, hafta agree with ya there," Jack mumbled as the chanting became louder, and the fire grew larger.

The drumming and chanting drowned out the sound of rolling thunder, and the sudden increase in wind lent an even eerier quality to the scene before them. It was not surprising that they didn't notice the quietly appearing shapes in the forest around them, close, but not too close. It was the sudden downburst that gave the figures the chance they needed, a downburst that slammed Carter, O'Neill and several from the circle to the ground.

Jack felt the air leave his body in a whoosh as he connected forcifully with the ground, and struggled to control his suddenly eratic breathing. He was unable to recover quickly enough as figures appeared around him, and he suddenly found himself tied securely, and in a completely different place. Jack shook his head as he tried to piece together what happened, but it was no use. He took in his surrondings, and discovered himself to be leaning against the wall in a stone cell, the large hooded man in front of him.

"You should not have angered our gods, you have caused many problems, but now you give us the solution," the large man said, his tone low and menacing.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Jack replied in confusion.

"Little matter, when the next moon rises in the night's market you will give yourself to the cobra, and our history. All will be restored," the figure replied as his words echoed in the sudden emptiness of the room.

"What the," Jack exclaimed as he realized he and Sam where alone in a room without doors. "I don't get it," he said to the quiet as he began to struggle with the poorly bound ropes.

Jack threw off the ropes he had finally unknotted as he turned to where Sam sat against the wall. He was alarmed by her pallor as she struggled to take in deep enough breaths to refill her lungs.

"Sam, relax," he instructed as he began to undo the ropes, and rub her back. He could see the effort she was putting forth, and the pain was etched on her face so that it was impossible to stop himself from pulling her gently into his arms. He held her against him and continued to stroke her back as her breathing began to settle. "There ya go Carter, that better?"

"Yes sir. What happened sir?"

"No idea Carter, no idea, but I think it's safe to say we aren't going to like whatevers next."

"Ya think," she muttered sarcastically.

"Watch it Captain, you're stealing my lines."

The two were silent for several minutes as Jack continued to hold Sam gently, but were soon disturbed by the chanting that rose unseen around them. The words were still muffled, but disturbing none the less.

> The stories are woven
> and fortunes are told
> The truth is measured by the weight of your gold
> The magic lies scattered
> on rugs on the ground
> Faith is conjured in the night market's sound

> Would you like my mask?
> would you like my mirror?
> cries the man in the shadowing hood
> You can look at yourself
> you can look at each other
> or you can look at the face of your god

> The lessons are written
> on parchments of paper
> They're carried by horse from the river Nile
> says the shadowy voice
> In the firelight, the cobra
> is casting the flame a winsome smile

"Ya know Carter, maybe it's a good thing Daniel isn't here, because he might tell us what they're saying, and I'm not sure I wanna know."

"Yeah sir, I think you're right."

Sam sat huddled against the cool stone wall as she watched the Colonel prowl restlessly around the cell. It was fairly obvious that there was no way out, and that only made her wonder more about the trip inside. She didn't remember much about the trip, other than the pain that had flared to life, and thus was unable to even form a guess as to how they had entered the room. This relatively harmless mission had sure gone to hell rapidly she mused as she tried to shift to a comfortable position. Comfortable, 'what a laugh', she thought to herself, knowing that she wouldn't be comfortable again untio she saw the inside of the infirmary.

"You doin' OK Carter," Jack asked as he sank down beside her on the stone floor.

"Um Hum," she mumbled softly, not daring to open her eyes unless she wanted him to read the true pain there.

"Carter, you're a lousey liar," he replied sardonically, amused to see her eyes spring open at the comment.

"What do you want me to do then sir? Do you want me to whimper like a damsal in distress? I know, you'd rather I cry and moan about how bad it hurts, and how much more my chest hurts with every passing hour, how I'm beginning to feel short of breath," her voice had risen in anger before dying to a whisper with her last words," how much I want to go home."

"Didn't think that was your style Captain. I just wanted an honest appraisal of the situation, so I know what we are contending with when it comes to getting out of here."

"Oh," she mumbled, embarrasment coloring her cheeks, "Sorry Sir."

"Don't be Captain. I think you needed the release. Just for the record, I can't see you playing the damsal in distress, and I don't think you do the crying and whimpering that well either. I think you're more the stoic type. Come to think of it, I think Daniel could do the damsal, and the crying, but don't tell him I said that."

Sam smiled at his words, and suddenly giggled at the picture that leapt into her brain.

"No giggling Captain," O'Neill said firmly, relieved to see her smling again.

"Yes sir, No giggling sir," she replied seriously, only to have the effect blown by another round of giggles.

The two sat silently for nearly an hour before O'Neill broached the subject again. He was beginning to worry about their chances if they had to fight their way out, and he needed an honest assessment of the situation.

"How bad is the chest really, Carter?"

"Hurts like hell sir, and I just can't seem to get a good breath. I sorta feel winded much of the time," she replied honestly.

"Well, you aren't coughing, so I guess that's good for now. What about the shoulder?"

"Bumped around quiet a bit in the capture. I don't think the collarbone is well aligned, but they didn't knock the shoulder out again. All in all sir, I won't be able to hold my own for an extended period, but I'll do what it takes, the best way I know how sir."

"I don't doubt that Carter," he mumbled to himself, knowing she'd run on shear stubborn for as long as it took. "We'll be fine. Now let's get some rest while we can."

Jack saw Sam lean her head against the wall and close her eyes, not uttering a word as the grimace of pain again crossed her face.

"Come here, Sam," he growled as he pulled her gently against his chest.

"Sir, it's okay," she said, thinking of pulling away.

"Hush Sam, you'll rest better, and you need your rest."

Sam lay cradled against her CO's chest, amazed that he had twice called her Sam. Not Captain, or Carter, but SAM, and his hand was traveling soothingly up and down her back. It sent shivers traveling through her, which only caused Jack to tighten his hold, and she was disturbed to find a heat traveling through her body. A heat she dare not explore, this was her CO, and she wasn't supposed to feel this way, but she did. God help her, she did!

Jack and Sam were woken from an uneasy slumber when the tones of the chanting rose in volume and pitch. It sounded as if the alien voices hung in the air around their heads, and not simply in the halls and walls of their prison.

"Sir, What do you think is happening?"

"Not sure, but we'd better loosen up a bit, so we're ready," he said helping her gently to her feet.

"Do you think it's night already," she asked, as she attempted to loosen up muscles that had tightened with pain.

"Who can tell in this place," he responded beginning to notice an almost breathless quality in her words. "You okay Carter, honestly?"

"Sir, we need to get home."

"So that's a no then," he responded, his attention suddenly drawn to the figure that appeared before them.

"The moon has not yet risen, and still you come. It is it not enough that the two of you come and destroy our world, upset our balance and bring the anger of the sky god. Now more come, you must perish before the flame, you must look in the face of our god, and restore order. We go now, soon darkness will fall, the moon will rise. You will face each other as you meet our god, you will become history, and balance will return."

"I'm really not dressed for meeting gods," Jack mumbled as he once more found himself surronded by forest. "How do you guys do that, Captain, how do they do that?"

"Not sure sir," she replied as she took in their surrondings. They were back in the clearing they had found earlier, and chanting filled the air. Sam had been able to detect the same sounds over and over, but she was no closer to understanding those sounds. She had no more chance for speculation about the odd events as she was forced to a nearby tree, and saw her chance. The man that lead her was another of the underdressed aliens, and he wore a knife on his belt, one that was right at her fingertips.

Sam pushed against the alien with her weight, and grapped the knife as he stumbled forward into the tree. She was suprised to see him disappear before her as she welded the knife, but pushed her shock away as she turned to face the hooded figure. He appeared startled, and this gave Jack the moment he needed as he rushed the figure and knocked him silently to the ground, unconcious. The woods were bathed in silence as the chanting came to a sudden and abrupt halt.

"Let's move Captain, that was way to easy. Reinforcements are bound to follow." Jack urged as he set a path for the Stargate. Sam followed as rapidly as she could as they headed back to the cave, and the rest of their equipment.

"I'm with you sir," she panted as she turned to check the woods around them. "It looks clear for now."

"Good, we need to cover ground quickly Captain," Jack said as he crouched behind a tree to check the open space they were about to launch themselves into. "I believe the rest of our team may have come through the gate."

"I think you're right," Sam whispered, trying not to let on to the Colonel how short of breath she was.

"Looks clear, you ready?" Sam nodded in response to his question, and the two crouched down as they covered the open ground towards the cave.

Sam leaned against the relative safety of the cave walls while the Colonel loaded their packs. Her breath came in hitching gasps that she was helpless to disguise, and that did nothing for the pain in her chest. She was hopeful they would soon meet with the rest of their team and she willed them to hurry as she heard the chanting once again fill the air. The moon was rising to its zenith, and Sam feared that this was far from over.

Jack continued to scan the space outside the cave hoping to catch a glimpse of friends in the rising moonlight. He was starting to get very worried as he listened to Sam's continued struggles to catch her breath. There was simply no way she could last very long if it came to a fight, and he feared it would before the night was over.

"Sam, I see shadows, looks like one could be Teal'c. Stay here,while I check it out."

"Yes sir," she panted, simply to winded to argue.

Jack was never more relieved to see anyone as he was Daniel and Teal'c as they made their way through the darkness.

"Boy, am I glad to see you guys," Jack said, when they finally met in a grove of trees near the cave. "Daniel, you okay?"

"Fine Jack, loaded on antihistamines and bug spray. You two okay."

"Let's get back to the cave and I'll explain, Carter's not in great shape and I don't want to leave her too long."

The three moved forward quietly, but it appeared that they were already too late. Men surronded their hooded leader where he stood with Sam pressed up against a tree, and the chanting rose loudly around them. It was obvious that Sam was barely conscious, and this seemed to further anger the hooded man as his words rose in volume, painfully clear to all.

"You female, have disrupted all of us, and failed to answer any of the questions posed by the group! Your attitude will not go unpunished as you face the cobra god this night. You will look in the face of OUR god since you did not choose your own, and you will perish!"

> The lessons are written
> on parchments of paper
> They're carried by horse from the river Nile
> says the shadowy voice
> In the firelight, the cobra
> is casting the flame a winsome smile

> Would you like my mask?
> would you like my mirror?
> cries the man in the shadowing hood
> You can look at yourself
> you can look at each other
> or you can look at the face of your god

"Damn," Jack muttered under his breath, "This guy talks in riddles, and chants in a foreign language, and we're supposed to understand what he wants."

"We'll I know what they are chanting, but I don't really understand what it means," whispered Daniel, "but whatever it is, I don't think it bodes well for Sam."

"Oh Ya think," Jack mumbled sarcastically. "I don't care what it means now anyway, we've got to get her out of there before they feed her to that snake they're bringing in."

Sam watched events unfold around her through a grey haze that had crept over her vision. She was vaguely aware of staff weapon fire, and of figures appearing and disappearing around her in the dark. The only constant she was aware of was her pain, and the cobra that crept steadily closer to her through the night. Sam suddenly understood that the real threat to her came, not from those that fought in the dark, but the solitary reptile that lived there.

Sam forced herself to remain still as she watched both the snake and her team, she would need to get their attention as soon as they were clear enough for her to do so. The snake was huge, biggest snake she had ever seen, and moved slowly on the uneven forest floor, which was currrently her saving grace. Sam suddenly realized that the volume of the fight had decreased, and that many of the aliens had once again disappeared into the night.

"Colonel," she called softly, not daring to speak too loudly, for fear she would disturb the snake that was now within striking distance.

"Ahh hell," Jack muttered, "Captain, don't move."

'Don't move', Sam thought to herself, just where in the heck did he think she was going. "Not a problem," she muttered softly.

"Teal'c, Daniel, any ideas," he asked, ignoring Sam's comment.

"Only one O'Neill," Teal'c murmured as he watched the snake crawl over her foot. " I am sorry CaptainCarter," he stated as he fired his Zat at the snake. The physical contact causing Sam to be caught by the Zat's effects.

"Ahhhhh," she gasped gritting her teeth aginst the pain that flared, even as she saw the snake go limp cross her boot. Teal'c and Jack were at her side immediately, slinging the snake far into the bush. "Hate..that," she grimaced, even as dizzying black spots began to cloud her vision.

"It's okay Carter, we're gettin' outta here, just hang on," Jack said as he lifted her into his arms. He could feel the twitch in her muscle's from the effects of the zat, and was somewhat surprised that she remained awake in his arms. "Okay, let's make for the gate. Daniel you dial us up, Teal'c you've got rear guard."

The four made it to the gate without further difficulties, and Jack felt a sense of relief and frustration as he watched the wormhole settle into place. Relief that they were getting home, and frustration that he had absolutely no idea as to what had happened. Maybe Daniel could explain it later he thought as he stepped into the gate room.

It didn't take long to get Sam to the infirmary, and he layed her down, relieved that she would get some relief now, before he was shooed from the room.

It was several hours before the team, along with General Hammond were allowed back into the infirmary.

"Dr. Fraiser, how is Captain Carter," the General asked.

"She'll be fine in a few weeks," Jnaet responded as she stood beside her friend's bed. "The collarbone and ribs will take several weeks, but the pneumonia she's brewing should be handled quickly with the I.V. antibiotics. The Zat's effects have already worn off."

"Excellent, Dr. Jackson, I believe you have a theory as to what happened."

"Yes sir, I analyzed the chanting we were hearing, and it was certainly religious. I believe the planet's inhabitants felt that the arrival of outsiders, us, was what was causing the odd weather patterns on the planet. I have no idea if that is correct, but I think they believed it. They were going to sacrifice Sam in a ceremony in order to correct the balance. While I do not understand how they moved from place to place on the planet I do believe that it is more nature than technology. If they were truly advanced they wouldn't scatter everytime we fought back, their fear of us would suggest that we held the greatest fire power. All in all I believe that the superstitions that govern the planet would make going back not our smartest move," Daniel finished.

"Agreed Dr. Jackson"

"Well you won't get any arguement from us, huh Carter."

"No sir, no arguement, I think I like it right where I am for the moment."

"Well then, if there are no further questions we should allow Captain Carter to get some rest."

"General I have a question."

"Go ahead Doctor."

"Well Colonel, you explained the zat gun, but what I don't understand is how you managed to fall in the smae fifteen foot hole as Sam and come out without a scratch."

"Simple Doc, Carter broke my fall," he replied grinning down at his 2IC as everyone left the infirmary, groaning and saying good night to Sam.

"Very funny sir," Sam muttered, "but you know this means you owe me one."

"Sure Carter, no problem," he replied, purposely missunderstanding what he owed her. "You can fall on me anytime" he said, winking at her as he turned to leave.

"Promises, promises," she muttered to herself before the evenings events caught up to her and she slid into sleep.

"Oh that's a promise Carter, that's a promise, but for now- pleasant dreams!"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Wendy Gilliatt