Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

You Are Always On My Mind

by Bcmilco
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story Bemerkung:
This story takes place instead of Chimera, and it pushes the rest of the season back by several of weeks. The Epilogue takes place after the events of Death Knell so it doesn't hurt if you've seen both episodes.
Also, thanks to Tame for all her wonderful help as beta for this story, and for suggesting the final title. I must however take credit for all mistakes as I tweaked the story again right before submission. ;)
For this and other stories visit me at: www.bcmilco.com
You Are Always On My Mind

You Are Always On My Mind

by bcmilco

Summary: Sam and Jack have a run in with an Ancient device.
Category: Romance, Series
Episode Related: 715 Chimera, 716 Death Knell
Season: Season 7
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes
Author's Notes: This story takes place instead of Chimera, and it pushes the rest of the season back by several of weeks. The Epilogue takes place after the events of Death Knell so it doesn't hurt if you've seen both episodes.
Also, thanks to Tame for all her wonderful help as beta for this story, and for suggesting the final title. I must however take credit for all mistakes as I tweaked the story again right before submission. ;)
For this and other stories visit me at: www.bcmilco.com
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/04/05

SG-1 had been searching the ruins of an Ancient city all morning and through the early afternoon. The city they had found on P4X-279 was one of the largest they'd ever found. So far, their careful search had turned up nothing but a bunch of empty buildings, most of them falling apart. Even Daniel Jackson, the resident archaeologist, was disappointed by the utter lack of artifacts and writings.
"Okay, this is the last building we're going to search before we head back to the gate," ordered Colonel Jack O'Neill, leader of SG-1, as they approached the last abandoned and ruined building on the street.
"Come on Jack we just got here, and we've hardly had time to check anything out!" argued Daniel.
"Daniel we've been here most of the day and we've been searching buildings the whole time!" argued Jack.
"But there are hundreds more to be searched!" continued Daniel.
"I don't care we haven't found *anything*!" grumbled Jack. "Besides Hammond will be waiting for a sit rep, and all I've seen so far is ruins. If we don't find something big soon a secondary team will complete the survey and finish documenting the find later," Jack approached his friend, "You can't look at every ruined building in the galaxy personally, Daniel" commented Jack as he patted Daniel on the shoulder. "Now come on let's see what's in this building then we can go and check in with Hammond," ordered Jack as he turned towards the large imposing building. Major Samantha Carter, and Teal'c followed closely behind Jack, all of them with guns at the ready in case the need arose.
Jack approached the building with caution and carefully opened the door, advancing slowly with his gun trained ahead of him. "Wow!" exclaimed Jack as his eyes adjusted to the lower lighting inside. "Jackpot," he said as he looked around the room and down the isles at all the devices and gadgets that lined the floor to ceiling shelves. From what Jack could see the shelves ran for almost half the length of a football field! There were enough objects to keep *all* the Area 51 geeks busy for a very long time!
Carter pulled out a device and started to scan the objects the instant she saw them and began to pour over the results.
"Anyone?" requested Jack.
"I have not seen anything like it before, O'Neill," contributed Teal'c.
"Well it's definitely a repository of some kind," Chipped in an awed Daniel who was trying to figure out where to start.
"I wonder if there are any weapons," Jack asked, a tinge of awe in his voice, while he strode into the room for a closer look at all the dusty items laying around.
"Sir, according to this a lot of these objects have trace energy readings." added Sam, indicating her scanner.
"Meaning?" asked Jack.
"They're technology of some kind." She said finally looking around and realizing just how many objects there were.
"Any idea what they do?"
"None sir, at least not without further investigation." she added with a hint of a smile and a glint in her eye.
"Then we'll be careful as we look around, and we won't play with anything without proper examination first," said Jack as he turned towards Daniel. "Right Daniel?"
"Right," replied Daniel putting down the scepter-like object he was holding, and smiling innocently at Jack, who rolled his eyes.
"Come on let's secure the building then we can do a little window shopping, and if you're good maybe I'll let you buy something." quipped Jack indicating the objects around them.
The team quickly searched and secured the rest of the building and then returned to the main room to check out all the items and artifacts that were waiting to be discovered.
Jack looked at his watch, "Carter, Teal'c, go report in with Hammond, let him know what we've found. Request he send through another team with supplies and equipment--"
"We're not leaving, are we Jack?" asked Daniel with a trace of hope in his voice.
"--to help us catalog all this stuff." ordered Jack. "Oh also ask Hammond for a 24 hour extension--"
"I'll need a *lot* more then 24 hours to make a complete survey of all these artifacts!" interrupted Daniel again.
"-- so you and Daniel can make a *preliminary* report," continued Jack without pause looking pointedly at Daniel.
Daniel started to object again but Jack cut him off saying "Times running out, shouldn't you get started?" Daniel grumbled as he set about taking notes and cataloging items, all Jack caught was something about 'needing more time.'
"Yes Sir, 24 hours." replied Sam, before she and Teal'c left to report to General Hammond.
***************
Jack re-entered the facility after his third perimeter check. Daniel was still looking at some tablet or other that he found fascinating.
Jack looked over at Daniel, eyes lit up with excitement as he looked over the tablet, and shook his head. Daniel hadn't moved since Sam and Teal'c left. "This is just amazing, just amazing!" mumbled Daniel for the thousandth time.
Jack rolls his eyes and sighs before walking past Daniel and continuing on into the facility. He just didn't see what was so damned amazing about dead people's diaries or what ever it was Daniel was looking at. Jack wandered off around a corner and noticed a set of matching chairs at the end of the shelves.
He approached the chairs and walked around them inspecting each one closely. When he completed his circuit of the chairs he dusted the left one off and sat down with a sigh as his knees popped. They had started throbbing earlier despite the medication the doc had given him, but maybe that had something to do with all the stairs he'd climbed up and down today and the miles of hallways and rooms he and his team had checked and cleared. He pulled out a packet of painkillers and dry swallowed them, before he decided to get more comfortable and sat back in the chair.
"Hey these are pretty comfortable chairs, I should get one for my office. Ya think they come in leather?" Jack asked so Daniel could hear.
"Huh? Did you say something Jack?" asked Daniel, from around the corner.
"No, nothing, go back to your 'amazing' work." remarked Jack sarcastically, as he checked his watch again. It had been 45 minutes since Sam and Teal'c had left, they should be back any minute, and he could really use their company right now because he was bored. After a few minutes of doing nothing Jack decided to do a mental checklist of all the gear he was carrying. However, just as he was starting his list the other half of the team returned from the gate.
"Sir, General Hammond approved the 24 hour extension to our mission and he will be sending SG-17 with the necessary equipment tomorrow at 0800."
"Okay. Teal'c, you and I will setup the sterno cooker and the sleeping bags in the far corner of this building. It's empty and the roof looks good. It's also secure."
"As you wish, O'Neill," replied the ever stoic Jaffa.
"Carter go... have fun, and keep Daniel out of trouble!" ordered Jack.
"Yes sir, I'll do my best," replied Sam with a smile on her lips, before she set down her pack, pulled out some equipment, and went to join Daniel with all the artifacts and technology.
***************
"Come on Teal'c let's do a perimeter check." said an antsy and board Jack two hours later.
"O'Neill, have we not completed perimeter checks on 9 separate occasions." questioned Teal'c.
"Yeah, So?" asked an irritated Jack.
"In the last two hours," continued the Jaffa.
"What's your point," Jack asked defensively.
"Is that not excessive, O'Neill?" queried the Jaffa knowing the answer.
Jack sighed, "You're probably right, besides it's almost time for dinner," replied a defeated Jack as he looked at his watch.
Jack walked down the isle to where the two scientists were working. "Hey, Daniel, Carter take a break and come eat," Jack called as he held out MRE's to the two scientists engrossed in their work.
"Jack this is just amazing, these artifacts will give us great insight into the lives and lifestyle of the Ancients not to mention the --"
"Aht, aht! Daniel if big honkin' space guns weren't a part of their lifestyle I don't want to know about it," insisted Jack.
Daniel gave him a hurt look.
"At least not until after dinner," Jack amended, "Now come on and eat," he insisted as he handed Daniel an MRE.
***************
They ate quickly before they relaxed for the evening. Jack and Teal'c were discussing Hockey while Daniel was writing in his journal. Sam sat with her laptop typing up her report for SG-17.
As evening turned into night Daniel went to sleep and Teal'c went off to Kel'no'rim. Sam continued to work on her report until Jack stood up and stretched his aching knees.
After he had walked around a little Jack approached Sam and asked; "So, find anything useful today?" as he sat down.
"I'm not really sure yet, sir. I have to run some more tests on a few of the items I looked at, but several of them are some form of advanced technology. Most of it just doesn't seem to be working anymore," she shrugged, sounding disappointed. "Given some time maybe I can make it work again."
"Any idea what any of this stuff is supposed to do?" he asked as he picked up his coffee cup.
"Again, not yet." Sam replied.
"I'm sure if anyone can figure it out, you and Daniel can," commented Jack as he took a sip from his coffee. They sat in silence for a minute before he changed the subject. "Well," he said lightly setting down his cup, "I'm going to do one last perimeter check before I start my watch. You better get to sleep, I'll wake you for your watch."
As Jack started to walk off to check the perimeter Sam got up and followed him. "I think I'll join you," was all she said. Jack noticed that she seemed preoccupied, but not knowing what to say he waited until they were headed back to camp before broaching the question on his mind; "What's wrong?" he finally asked as they rounded the corner.
"Nothings wrong." she replied.
"Okaayyy... Then what's on your mind?" he tried again as he stopped and grasped her upper arm to get her attention.
She stopped and faced him. Jack was standing in front of the chairs he had found earlier and he motioned for her to sit down in the clean chair. Sam perched on the front of the chair. While Jack dusted off the second chair, and sat down too. They sat there in silence for a few minutes while she tried to find the right words.
"My brother set me up with this friend of his. His name is Pete. We're ah... Pete and I are... going out." she finally got out in a shaky voice.
"Ah, I see," said a somewhat defeated and deflated Jack, looking anywhere but at Sam, afraid she'd be able to see how much it hurt him to hear this. An uncomfortable silence stretched between them. "Is that all you can say?" she softly pushed him.
"What do you want me to say?" asked Jack harshly.
"I don't know... Something more..." she trailed off quietly.
Jack sighed deeply and slumped back into the chair, the anger in his eyes drained away. Leaning his head back he rubbed his eyes as he asked, softly "Are you happy?"
"I think so... Yes," she replied her voice quivered with emotion.
"As your friend... all I've ever wanted for you is your happiness." he chocked out.
"Friend..." Sam repeated with sadness, as she slumped back into her own chair, "I've been hearing that a lot lately," she finished with a sad little smile.
The chairs began humming imperceptibly as they both sat there in awkward silence with nothing to say. Jack and Sam became sleepy and started yawning, and as quickly as they started yawning, they fell asleep. Several minutes later the humming stopped and all was quiet again.
***************
Teal'c woke up suddenly. It was time for him to relieve Major Carter and take watch, but she hadn't woken him, his internal clock had. Major Carter was never late in waking him, therefore something must be wrong.
Teal'c looked around and noticed that O'Neill and Major Carter were not in their sleeping bags nor were they around the cooker holding watch. Teal'c got up and woke Daniel.
"Daniel Jackson, I believe that Major Carter and O'Neill may be in trouble."
"Teal'c? Is that you?" asked a bleary-eyed Daniel, as he yawned himself awake.
"Yes Daniel Jackson, it is I," answered Teal'c.
"It can't be my watch already," replied a slightly grumpy Daniel.
"It is not. We must locate O'Neill and Major Carter, they may be in trouble." repeated Teal'c.
"Trouble?" asked a much more alert Daniel. "What are we sitting around for? Let's find them."
Teal'c merely raised an eyebrow and replied "Indeed."
Teal'c and Daniel searched up and down the isles of artifacts before they stumbled across Jack and Sam sleeping in the chairs.
"Well, isn't this interesting? Sleeping on duty. Blackmail," said an amused Daniel. "I wonder if we should wake them or let them sleep?"
"I believe it would be prudent to wake them and confirm they are both in good health," suggested Teal'c.
"You're probably right, it's not like them to let their guard down enough to fall asleep on duty," said Daniel with growing concern.
"Indeed," replied Teal'c "I shall endeavor to wake them."
Teal'c moved closer, but not too close, to Jack and boomed out "O'Neill! Major Carter! Wake up!"
"Teal'c!" cried a startled Major Carter as she sat up.
Jacks eyes popped open, his body tensed and Teal'c could tell that Jack was assessing the situation. "Teal'c, what are you doing awake?" he asked, confused.
"It was time for my watch to begin and I had not been awakened. I became concerned when I observed both yourself and Major Carter missing from the designated area," Teal'c answered.
"Oh..." replied an abashed Jack, "well, as you can see we're fine. Right Carter?" asked Jack.
"Yes sir, though I'm a little concerned as well. It's really not like either of us to fall asleep on duty," replied Sam. "I think we should return to the SGC for checkups sir."
"Yeah, I know," sighed Jack as he rubbed his face with the palms of his hands. "Just to be on the safe side we'll quarantine ourselves here, as long as we don't develop any symptoms, and wait until SG-17 arrives."
"Is that wise?" asked a concerned Daniel.
"Probably not, but that's my decision," Jack ordered as he headed back to his sleeping bag. "Teal'c you'd better notify the SGC."
"As you wish, O'Neill," replied the Jaffa.
The rest of the team followed Jack back to their sleeping bags to try and get some more sleep before they had to get up and prep for the arrival of SG-17, and their departure.
"Do I have to go back with you?" asked Daniel as he walked past an especially interesting looking artifact.
"We'll see." answered Jack shortly.
***************
Daniel hated having to pull watch. Jack had forbidden him from writing in his journal when he was on watch because he became 'too absorbed in his writing to effectively be *watching* for anything.' At least according to Jack. And as much as Daniel resented Jack for making it an order he saw the sense in it, especially after Jack sneaked up on him and held a Zat to the back of his head.
That was almost 7 years ago.
Since that incident Daniel had proven he could keep watch with the best of them. Even if he was bored to death. There were two consolations though, Jack always put Daniel on last watch, at first because he was the most inexperienced, and then it had just become the routine. Daniel liked last watch because he got to sleep straight through the night, and two he got to make the morning coffee how he liked it and to him that was worth several hours of boredom.
Daniel smiled to himself as he took a sip of his coffee. Oh yeah, definitely worth it.
Daniel was almost through with his watch when he glanced over at his sleeping friends. He did a double take and looked back. "When did that happen," muttered Daniel under his breath.
There was Jack sleeping on his back with Sam cuddled up right next to him. They must have moved during his watch. Daniel smiled wistfully remembering his time with Sha're, and sighed. Pulling himself out of his revere Daniel could guess what kind of mood his two friends would be in when they woke up and found themselves like that. Jack would be short and defensive, and Sam would be sullen and closed mouth. Just then Teal'c came out of Kel'no'rim, and noticed how Jack and Sam were sleeping.
"You don't happen to know anything about this do you Teal'c?" asked Daniel as he gestured to their two friends.
"Indeed I do not, Daniel Jackson," replied Teal'c as he raised an eyebrow in surprise.
***************
Jack woke up to a dream, as he looked down, he saw Sam's blond head resting against his shoulder. Suddenly her breathing changed and she woke up. He was expecting her to run screaming, or just plain run, but she didn't. She looked up at him, blushed, but she meet his eyes and said, "Good morning," before she got up quickly and walked over to Teal'c and Daniel to get a cup of coffee.
Jack was pleasantly surprised by her reaction, especially after last night's conversation.
Jack got up and went over to get a cup of coffee for himself. "Daniel, Teal'c," Jack acknowledged them in greeting.
"Morning Jack, how'd you sleep?" asked Daniel, just a little too innocently, as he took another sip of his coffee.
Jack was about to ignore Daniel, until he realized something. "Actually better then I have in a long time." He said to Daniel, as he avoided looking at Sam.
Jack cleared his throat and continued, "Anyway once we're done eating you guys have about half-an-hour to finalize your reports for SG-17s arrival. After that we'll debrief them and head home."
"But Jack you said I'd get to stay last night."
"I said you *might* get to stay," Jack emphasized.
"But I'm fine! You're the one who couldn't keep watch last night," argued Daniel.
"Fine, Teal'c you stay with Daniel until tonight, then I want you to make a decision if Daniel *needs* to hang around or if SG-17 can handle this on their own.
"However if either of you start to get sick I want you back early and bring back 17 as well. Understood?" Teal'c bowed his head and Daniel agreed eagerly.
When SG-17 arrived in HAZMAT suits, they brought Doctor Fraiser and a FRED full of medical equipment with them, "Doc, you didn't have to make a house call," quipped Jack.
"The General didn't want to take any chances," replied Janet, "and neither do I," she said as she held up a needle to draw a blood sample.
Janet ran the whole team through a basic set of tests before concentrating on Sam and Jack. Finally three hours later Janet decided it was safe enough to take the two Air Force officers back to the SGC for further tests.
Janet also reluctantly agreed to let Daniel and Teal'c stay behind if they promised to report back *immediately* if they started feeling poorly.
***************
Jack and Sam were ushered into the infirmary and into the primary care of Doctor Brightman, the latest addition to the medical staff, as soon as they arrived back at the SGC. More tests were preformed, more blood drawn, and more penlights shined in their eyes before they were given permission to go get cleaned up.
Twenty minutes later a clean Jack and Sam were re-entering the infirmary when they noticed Daniel and Teal'c were already there.
"Hey guys, what are you doing here early... did you get sick?" asked Jack.
"Teal'c dragged me back. He said we should see how you were, I wanted to stay," said Daniel trying to sound put out.
Jack looked at Teal'c for an explanation. "Daniel Jackson became concerned for your well fair, he assures me that SG-17 can continue the mission without him. Thus we returned to see to your health."
"I'm touched, Daniel, thank you." Jack said dramatically putting his left hand on Daniel's shoulder and his right hand across his heart.
"Actually I was only concerned for Sam, she's practically family," replied Daniel with a twinkle in his eye. Jack's arm flopped off of Daniel's shoulder as his face fell.
Sam chocked back a laugh as she walked past the colonel, and squeezed Daniel's arm in a friendly manner. "Thanks Daniel," she said eyes dancing with repressed laughter.
Just then Dr. Brightman entered the infirmary holding a clipboard and some folders.
"Doc, any news yet?" Jack asked.
"Well, most of the test have come back..." she flipped through the folders before finishing, "and I didn't see anything that would be cause for concern. However I'd like you to stay on base until all the tests come back. Just as a precaution."
"How long will that take?" asked Sam.
"Hopefully they'll all be done by 1700. I'll call you when the results are in. Until then I'm sure you have some work you'd like to get done," replied the doctor. "If you'll excuse me I've got to prep my team for SG-12's return." The doctor left the room.
The guys started to leave the infirmary and as Daniel passed by Sam he heard her mumble, "I'm not going to have enough time to get ready."
"Get ready for what?" Daniel asked which caused Teal'c and Jack to stop and turn around.
Sam blushed under their scrutiny, and tried to brush it off by saying "It's not important."
"What you got a hot date?" Daniel teased. When he didn't get a smart retort and Sam turned bright red he didn't know what to say. So he looked at his other friends. Teal'c made eye contact and raised an eyebrow, this was obviously news to him too. When Daniel looked over at Jack he noticed that Jack too was avoiding eye contact with everyone. Daniel glanced between the two officers and what with this mornings "incident" and their lack of a reaction to it, and general good mood... Daniel came to a conclusion: "You two are dating," whispered Daniel, half question, half statement, as he gestured between them.
"What!? NO!" Jack insisted.
"We are NOT!" Sam stated emphatically.
They both denied the accusation vehemently, but just as quietly as Daniel had asked it. "That would never happen," replied Jack with just the slightest trace of sadness.
"His name is Pete," Sam informed them, not even looking towards the Colonel.
"Oh," said a surprised Daniel, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to..." Daniel trailed off awkwardly glancing between the two officers.
Sam took the lull as her time to escape by saying, "I've got work to do before the debriefing," and went off to her lab. Daniel decided to follow her and see what he could learn about this new development in Sam's personal life, after all he figured she really was practically family therefore he had a right to be nosy.
"I'll see you guys later," Daniel said as he followed Sam.
"So T, buddy want to spare a little in the gym?" asked Jack with false indifference.
"That would be most enjoyable, O'Neill," Teal'c said as he inclined his head towards O'Neill and they left the infirmary.
***************
"Carter," Sam answered the phone in her lab.
"Major this is Dr. Brightman" came the voice from the other end.
"Doctor," Sam acknowledged.
"Your results are back in and I see no reason to confine you to base. You're free to go home," informed Brightman.
"Thank you doctor." replied Sam as she looked at the clock and noted that she *was* going to be late for her date. "You're welcome, have a nice evening." replied the doctor as she hung up. Sam put down the phone and started to gather up her stuff to leave.
Suddenly Jack entered her office, "Carter I've got this paperwork that needs your..." Jack trailed off as he realized that she was packing up for the day, quickly.
"Date?" he asked knowing the answer.
"Yeah," replied Sam quietly.
"Don't let me stand in your way," said Jack abruptly, as he turned on his heels and left the room only to run straight into Daniel-- literally. Jack hissed at the contact. "Are you alright, Jack?" Daniel asked.
"Yeah, yeah. Teal'c and I were just sparing earlier, he got a few lucky hits in." replied Jack through clinched teeth, as he rubbed his ribs.
"Mmhmm" replied Daniel, not believing those hits were quite as "lucky" as Jack claimed. "I'll see you later," said Daniel as he entered Sam's lab.
"Did you want something, Daniel?" Sam asked while she touched her ribs as if they were sore, "because I'm in a hurry."
"Are you okay?" asked Daniel.
"Yeah, I'm fine," Sam looked at the clock, "I've really got to get going. Can what you came here for wait?" she said with an apologetic smile.
"Yeah, it can. I forgot you've got that big date tonight."
"Daniel, it's not a big deal." she tried to down play.
"Sam when was the last time you dated anyone, let alone went out with them for almost two months?" asked Daniel recalling what she had told him earlier, and also what she hadn't.
"Fine so this is the longest relationship I've had since Jonas Hanson. What's your point?" she asked defensively.
"Nothing, it's just... SG-1 -- you're the closest thing to family I've got and I just want you to be happy... all of you." Daniel adjusted his glasses and broke eye contact. He cleared his throat. "Now go on you're going to be late."
"Thanks but I already am."
***************
Each date they had been on Pete had done little things to make Sam feel special. And she relished each and every thing he did for her. Right now Sam was sitting across from Pete at one of the finer Italian restaurants in the Springs, and they were talking. It was nice to just talk about routine everyday things with someone. She really enjoyed his company.
She liked the conversations they had, she liked feeling special, and she liked Pete. He was a really nice guy, but ever since she told the Colonel about Pete last night she couldn't get her mind off of Jack O'Neill. She felt like she was carrying him around with her.
She kept feeling his presence, it was as if he was standing over her shoulder. But that was ridiculous because if Sam had to guess she'd bet the colonel was at home.
"So what do you think?" asked Pete.
Sam realized she wasn't paying enough attention and quickly scanned her memory for his question. Night club, dancing: "Sure that sounds like fun," replied Sam with a smile that was still a little distracted.
***************
Jack couldn't stop thinking about her. In fact if he didn't know any better he'd swear Samantha Carter was standing over his shoulder. It was driving him crazy! So he decided if watching the Simpson's didn't help him forget her he'd drink her away. He had a late start tomorrow and he'd be careful not to drink so much that he couldn't hide it in the morning.
He opened the Scotch and poured himself a double.
***************
Sam was tired and she'd had fun dancing, but she was still preoccupied by this omni-present feeling of the colonel being with her. She just didn't know what to make of it and she was sure it was getting stronger. Pete stopped the car in front of her house.
"So... we're here." Pete stated with a little grin.
"How very observant," Sam teased lightly, trying to stall, she had a feeling that Pete wanted to take their relationship to the "next level" but she just couldn't, not with this feeling that the colonel was watching her, it would just be too... weird.
Pete smiled at that and replied, "Well I am a detective."
She smiled at the comment, then things got a little uncomfortable so Sam opted for quick exit; "I've had a really great time tonight, but I've got to go, I've got a long day tomorrow."
"Right... okay" Pete said with a little disappointment in his voice. Sam unbuckled her seatbelt and turned to kiss Pete goodnight. He took the opportunity to deepen the kiss and Sam willingly complied. They kissed for several long minutes until Pete broke the kiss and started kissing along her jaw and slowly down her neck until he hit a particularly sensitive spot and Sam moaned "Oh, Jack." They both froze and Sam's eyes flew open.
"Jack?" Pete asked with disbelief and hurt.
"I am soooo sorry Pete," Sam apologized. "I don't know where that came from."
Pete sat back in his seat and placed both hands on the steering wheel. "Am I a rebound?" he asked looking straight ahead, dreading the answer.
"No" Sam answered quietly, feeling completely embarrassed.
"Who is this guy to you?" he asked.
"Nobody important," she tried.
"If he weren't important you wouldn't be calling his name, would you?"
"No," she sighed looking down at her hands, "I guess not."
Pete turned back toward Sam "Look, I really like you, *a lot* and I'd still like the chance to get to know you better, but I don't want to compete with a ghost or whatever this guy is or was to you. So... give me a call when you know what you want." Pete cupped her left cheek and placed a chased kiss on her right. "Just know, I want an us," he said as he leaned back.
***************
Jack had lost track of how much he'd had to drink be he had a nice buzz and that was the sign he should stop drinking. Unfortunately instead of the feeling of Samantha Carter diminishing it had grown stronger, more pronounced. Nothing was working.
***************
Sam paced her living room she'd never been more embarrassed in her life! She'd called Pete and left a message to apologize, he'd get it when he got back to Denver. She continued to pace.
She couldn't believe it! First the feeling that the colonel was on the date with her then she calls out his name while she'd been kissing Pete. This was all the colonel's fault. She told him about Pete and now he was making her feel guilty about seeing someone else. Her pacing picked up speed. She was mad. She was going to get him for ruining her date. Sam grabbed her car keys and got in her car.
The colonel's house was on the other side of town, about twenty minutes away.
***************
Jack paced in his living room. He wasn't sure what to do, he couldn't very well interrupt Sam's date, he had no reason and Sam would kill him for it. And he wasn't sure he could take seeing her with another man right now. He flopped back down onto his couch, defeated, but also angry.
***************
Sam got out of the car. As she walked up the path Sam noticed she felt a little buzz, but she hadn't been drinking tonight she was on duty tomorrow...
Sam let that train of thought drift away and concentrated on what had brought her here in the first place: she was mad at the colonel.
She marched up the front walk prepared to give the colonel a piece of her mind for once.
***************
Suddenly there was a banging on his front door. Jack got up and called out, "I'm coming, I'm coming!"
When he got to the door and opened it he was surprised to see who was there, however at the same time he knew he was expecting it to be her.
"Carter" he said by way of greeting. And that's when it happened. She hit him. She hauled off and slapped him on the face.
Jack was slow to respond with all the alcohol in his system, but he rose a hand to his face to rub it. "What was that for?" he groused.
"For ruining my evening!" she snapped back at him.
"Hey! I wasn't even there to ruin it!" replied an irate colonel. "If you're looking to blame someone blame Paul!"
"*Pete* is an absolute gentleman! It's you that have been bothering me all night!"
"HEY! I didn't do anything! Maybe the problem was you!" he accused.
She stared at him crushed that he would say that. Jack sighed and rubbed his sore cheek, the fight temporarily knocked out of them both. "Come in," he finally ordered as he turned around and walked into his kitchen.
Sam followed him inside and closed the door with a little too much force, her ire starting to build again. "I'm not going to let you off that easily! Pete and I had a date you had no right to interfere!"
"Look at me!" he ordered looking her straight in the eye, "It wasn't me. I would never interfere if you didn't want me to."
She paused. "It felt like you," she accused half-heartedly knowing he wasn't lying to her. "My evening was wrecked."
"Well mine was wrecked too so I guess that makes us even." retorted Jack as he placed some ice in a towel and closed the freezer.
"Is that supposed to be *my* fault?" Sam asked him incredulously.
"I couldn't forget about you and your stupid date tonight." he replied sullenly. "It didn't matter what I did I couldn't forget about you and Pedro."
"This is about last night, isn't it? This whole thing started last night! You couldn't just be happy for me could you? You always have to complicate everything!" she accused her voice picking up heat.
"How could I be happy when you're going out with some jackass?" Jack shot back, putting down the ice, hard.
Sam went to slap him again but this time he was prepared and he grabbed her wrist. "I could have you up on charges for this!" he threatened.
Sam struggled to free her wrist. "Let. Me. Go." she enunciated.
"No," he refused out of shear stubbornness.
So she decided to slap him with her left hand, which he promptly caught too. Sam continued to struggle but Jack backed her into a corner against the counter, still holding her by her wrists. He was just inches away from her and she couldn't back away anymore. She was breathing hard. They made eye contact. The look in Jack's eyes made Sam catch her breath. Suddenly the tension in the air changed. She licked her lips. Jack looked down at her mouth, then made eye contact again. Their noses bumped as Jack leaned his head in toward hers, and Sam prepared for the kiss that she knew was coming.
"Knock knock! Jack? You here? Is that Sam's car I saw out front?" Came from the direction of the front door.
Jack leaned his forehead against Sam's. "Daniel. Damn his timing!" mumbled Jack.
They broke apart and straightened themselves out, just before Daniel entered the kitchen. "Hey Daniel, Whatcha' doing here?" asked Jack as casually as he could.
"Well I was coming by to see how you were and to make sure you weren't..." Daniel trailed off.
"Drinking myself stupid?" finished Jack. Daniel switch his attention to Sam, "I thought you had a date with Pete tonight?" He asked with curiosity.
"I did... it didn't go so well." she answered.
"I'm sorry to hear that," replied Daniel. "So you came here to talk to Jack?" he concluded.
"No, I came here to confront Jack because I thought the Colonel had been following me."
"Jack tell me you didn't!" Daniel asked with censure in his voice.
"I didn't Daniel, I swear!" offered Jack, holding up his hands. "I was sitting at home drinking myself stupid."
"So what was the shouting I heard on my way in?" Daniel asked skeptically.
Jack and Sam made eye contact and they said in unison. "Nothing."
"Mmhmm." said Daniel full of skepticisms.
Sam sighed, "Honestly, I don't really know. I just had this uncontrollable rage and I had to see the colonel and get it off my chest so I came here and... I slapped him," Sam finished with embarrassment, and confusion.
"Really?" replied Daniel surprised.
"Oh, yeah! She slapped me once, tried to twice more too!" replied Jack, rubbing his cheek.
"Okay... let's get back to the mountain and see if Janet can't find anything wrong," Daniel said as he pulled out his cell phone, and dialed Janet's number.
"I don't think that's necessary Daniel, Dr. Brightman cleared us. We're fine." Sam tried to convince him.
"You guys have been acting strange since you fell asleep in those chairs. I'd like to see what Janet has to say. I'm sure Dr. Brightman is a competent doctor, but she's only been here for a few months. Let's get Janet's opinion."
Daniel put the phone to his ear and turned his back on his friends when he finished dialing. "Janet, Hi it's Daniel..." He paused, "Yeah, I know what time it is... um... could you meet SG-1 at the infirmary?"
***************
"Alright what is it that got me down here at 0300 hours?" asked Janet as she entered her office where SG-1 was waiting for her.
Daniel related all the embarrassing details to Janet with Teal'c confirming what he knew. An embarrassed Jack and Sam added their two cents every time Daniel "exaggerated the truth" trying to down play anything too embarrassing, or damaging to their careers. And they most certainly had not been "sleeping together" yesterday morning.
"Daniel that's kind of thin 'proof' to get me down here at this ungodly hour... But, given the nature of our work..." she trailed off looking speculatively at Jack and Sam "I'll run some more tests." she decided much to the chagrin of Jack, "But first I want to know about anything strange that has occurred to either of you that Daniel hasn't already told me," she said looking at Jack and Sam as if she knew they were holding something back.
They, reluctantly, described how they felt like the other person was with them all night. They told Janet everything that they could think of that was beyond explaining normally.
***************
SG-1 were waiting impatiently in Janet's office for the results to come back. Jack was pacing and playing with Janet's paperweight. Sam was seated in front of Janet's desk Daniel and Teal'c to her left.
Finally Janet entered.
Jack confronted her first: "We're fine, right." It was more of a statement then a question.
"Actually... I don't know. However I do know the Colonel's blood alcohol level was just this side of legal. Which I suspected when you walked in." Janet skewered Jack with her eyes, before quickly adding "I'd like to run more tests before I give you my final diagnoses."
"Well what can you tell us right now?" asked Sam.
"While I waited for your results I compared the scans Dr. Brightman took yesterday with scans from before the mission. At first I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, until I compared those reads to the ones I just took. It looks like there is a constant increase in brain activity in all regions."
"So why didn't Dr. Brightman, catch this?" Daniel asked.
"She screwed up," said Jack.
"Actually, the amount of increase between scans was within the margin of error for this type of scan. But the increase is consistent over the two newest scans. It's only now that the difference has exceeded the margin of error and become obvious."
"What ever did this probably only effected a small portion of the brain, but in such a way that it's spreading."
"Isn't that a little vague?" asked Daniel.
"Yes, and that's why I'd like to run a few more scans and see if we can determine just how fast this situation is developing, and what we can do about it."
"So Doc, what exactly is this *thing* doing to us?" asked Jack.
"Well, you both seem to have an awareness of each other. Beyond that..." she shrugged, "I'd like to get those new scans before I speculate more."
"Oh, joy, more tests!" commented Jack sarcastically with a roll of his eyes.
***************
After their latest test Sam approached Jack, "Sir, I wanted to apologize for what I said and did earlier. I was completely out of line and I'm sorry."
"I'm... sorry too. I mean if Pete were a jackass you'd have kick him out on his backside, so he must be okay."
She looked at him strangely. "I *think* there was an apology in there," she said as she walked over to her seat.
Janet entered her office, this time it was Sam who confronted her. "Janet what's the news?"
"The new scans confirmed a suspicion I had."
"What's that Doc?" asked Jack from across the office where he was leaning against a filing cabinet.
"I noticed a correlation between the scans taken of Iyana, and the scans taken from the Colonel when he had the Ancient repository downloaded into his brain." Janet paused briefly to let the revelation sink in before continuing. "However unlike the repository there doesn't seem to be any information un-spooling and it doesn't seem to be effecting anything beyond higher brain function. Though the full effects may not be realized for a while because the scans also show that whatever is occurring is continuing to unfold at an ever increasing rate."
"How do you know there's not going to be any information? The head-suck thingie took days before I started speaking Ancient," put in Jack.
"I considered that, however there is no abnormal activity in the memory center of either of your brains. It's mostly centered in the areas concerned with communication, emotions, and sensory input. Which might explain everything that's been happening to you."
"How so?" Sam asked.
"Well individually you can control your own emotions, but if you add the emotions of a second individual it may just be too much to handle."
"So I should put on protective gear?" Jack quipped.
Janet leveled her gaze at Jack before continuing, "If you look closely here," Janet pointed to the scan of Jack's brain, "You can see there is a lot of activity."
"Of course you can," Jack relied dryly as he examined the paper.
Janet looked up, "This area," she stressed, "is the region of the brain that controls emotions. If I had to guess, I'd say you'll eventually develop the ability to control the added emotions, and if so, probably soon."
"Why do you say that?" asked Daniel.
"Because it's the area with the most activity right now," replied Janet.
"So what do you recommend?" Sam asked.
"There's not much I can do until I know what the goal of this transformation is. It would also help if I could examine the chairs that you suspect caused this. I've already asked General Hammond to contact SG-17 and have them bring back the chairs for study. Right now I recommend you get some sleep."
"Sleep? That's it?" questioned Jack.
"That's it for now, yes." replied Janet, "Of course I'd like you to remain here for observation."
"Of course you would," said Jack sarcastically. "Could we at least use our personal quarters instead of being stuck in the infirmary?"
"I'm sure the nurses will be happy if you do," Janet commented just loud enough for Sam to hear.
Sam chocked back a laugh, but couldn't stop her smile.
"What did you say doc?" asked Jack suspiciously.
"I said, sure and I'm hoping you sleep well too." Janet answered without missing a beat. "And I'll be informing the general of your status when he arrives."
***************
Jack woke up.
The first thing he was aware of was that he was on base. He was alone in his quarters. He could hear someone in the hall, and Sam was a couple of floors above him.
Jack's eyes opened, surprised. He wasn't sure how he knew that last one, but he just *knew* he was right. By logical deduction and the fact that the only place worth visiting a couple of floors up was the commissary and he'd bet that's where she was, especially considering she was hungry.
Jack squeezed his eyes closed, he shouldn't know that.
Suddenly there was a knock at his door. "Yeah?" called out Jack as he tried to shake off this strange new ability.
"O'Neill, it is I, Teal'c," came the deep baritone.
Jack got up and put on some pants and a shirt before answering the door.
"Hey Teal'c, what do you want." asked Jack.
"I came to inquire if you would like to accompany me to the commissary for sustenance?" asked Teal'c.
"Sure, breakfast sounds good," replied Jack looking at the clock and realizing it was closer to lunch than breakfast. "Or lunch."
Jack grabbed his wallet and dog tags off the nightstand and joined Teal'c.
***************
When Jack entered the commissary the first person he noticed was Sam. She was looking right at him as if she was expecting him. The second he noticed was Daniel who was sitting with her talking.
Jack smiled at her, and then got into the chow line and started loading up his tray. Teal'c following along sedately, filling his tray as was his usual custom. He piled on the fruit and took double portions of everything.
Jack started by filling his tray with his usual lunchtime foods, a sandwich, a bag of chips, a soda, a piece of fruit, and pie. But he also added a grilled chicken salad, a blue Jello, and a diet soda. He wasn't even really aware of the extra food until he sat down and noticed that Sam didn't have a lunch yet, and suddenly he realized: "I... ah... I think this is yours." Jack said with a bit of confusion as he handed over the extra lunch.
"Thanks" Sam said after a lull in the conversation. "Did you get the--"
"It's right there," Jack pointed to the dressing.
"And how about the--"
Jack handed her a fork.
"I'm going to need--"
"Right here," he handed her a napkin.
"I don't suppose you got--"
"I'm sorry they were out." he replied with a frown.
Daniel had suddenly stopped eating and looked over at his two friends along with Teal'c.
"What?" Jack asked defensively.
"How do you know what she wants?" asked Daniel.
"She told me," Jack said defensively.
"No she didn't," replied Daniel.
"Yes, she did."
"Did not."
"Did too."
"Did not."
"Did."
"Not."
"Stop it!" Sam interrupted them.
"Maybe we should tell Janet about this," Daniel suggested.
"Can't we eat first?" groused Jack. "We're hungry."
"Yeah, neither of us have had anything to eat since dinner last night, and Jack--"
"*Jack*?" Daniel asked. "Since when have you called him Jack?"
"It is his name isn't it?" Sam asked defensively, a faint blush in her cheeks.
"Yes, I just didn't know you knew that." Daniel tossed back with the trace of amusement.
"Daniel why don't you leave Sam alone." replied Jack as he set his sandwich down.
"*Sam*?" asked Daniel "Okay you're going to the infirmary now," replied Daniel only half-jokingly.
"Indeed," added Teal'c as he stood up.
***************
"So Colonel I'm told you're able to read Sam's mind. That you brought her lunch without needing to talk to her first. Can you tell me about this new ability?" Janet asked.
"I don't know," he replied stubbornly.
"Well you're going to have to give me more then that if you want my help." replied Janet just as stubbornly.
Jack sighed, and paused to think about it for a minute. "How do you know when something sounds good to eat?" Jack asked.
"Colonel," Janet said with a hint of warning.
"I'm trying to help," deflected Jack, "How do you know when something sounds good?" he asked again.
"I don't know, it just does," replied Janet impatiently.
"Exactly, I didn't *try* to bring her anything. I just knew it sounded good so I put it on the tray. I just knew what she was talking about and responded."
"So you're trying to tell me that you 'heard' Sam's thoughts?" Janet tried to clarify.
"Now that I think about it I guess you could say that... but when I was getting lunch I just picked up the items as if I were the one who was going to eat it."
"Sam have you had any similar experiences?" asked Janet.
"Yes." answered Sam. "I knew when the colonel had woken up and I knew that he was coming to the commissary."
"Interesting. Lets try a few experiments." suggested Janet, "Colonel I want you to think of a number between 1 and 100, and I want to see if Sam can guess it."
"Okay... I've got one." answered Jack.
"42," replied Daniel.
"He's right." said a surprised Jack.
"I didn't have to '~hear' anything to know that," replied Daniel.
"Then how did you know?" asked Janet.
"Because I know Jack," he answered with a shrug of the shoulders.
"I could've gotten that one too, even before this happened to us," confirmed Sam with a grin.
"As could I," said Teal'c stoically.
"Okay, then let's try it again," said Janet.
There was a brief moment of silence, while everyone focused on Jack. "Okay I've got another number."
Everyone's attention switched to Sam. "6?" she guessed, a clear question in her voice.
"Annnnt, wrong!" Jack gloated. "23" he revealed.
"Let's try again" said Janet.
"Got one," Jack.
"57" said Sam confidently not a trace of a question in her voice.
"That's right."
"Again," commanded Janet as she took notes, she had both of them guess random number from each other, and they were both about forty percent successful, but Janet noted that when they were right they knew they were right.
"It seem you don't have any control over this 'gift', but we'll try this little test again tomorrow and see if anythings changed.
"We'll also keep track of what you're 'reading' from each other and if it expands beyond the two of you..." she looked pointedly at Daniel, "though somehow I doubt it will." Janet looked at the two officers before she made a few notes in their files.
As Janet concluded Hammond entered the infirmary and everyone stood up.
"As you were," ordered Hammond.
"SG-17 brought back the devices for study. I thought you might like to have a look doctor. Before you go however I'd like an update on how my people are doing?"
Janet gave the general a quick run down of what she knew, which wasn't much. Then the General pulled Jack off to the side while Janet was giving orders to her staff and the rest of SG-1.
"I know you've got other things on your mind right now, but have you given anymore thought to my offer, Colonel?" asked Hammond.
"Should I have?" asked Jack.
"You seemed excited about it the other day when I suggested it," commented the general.
"Well that was before yesterday," replied Jack tersely.
The general looked at Jack funny before continuing, "I'll give it to you straight. Your knees aren't going to hold out much longer, the doctor says you were having a little trouble with them on the last mission despite the medication she's been giving you. At this rate it wont be too long before I'm forced to pull you off of active gate duty, and when that happens you'll either have to take a desk job here or retire. So I'm urging you to give it a little more thought. I'd hate to loose you from the program completely. Besides there may be some unseen benefits to being in command of the Alpha Site."
"Oh, yeah, like what, sir?" asked Jack dryly.
"Personal considerations," Hammond said looking over toward Major Carter. Jack followed Hammond's gaze, then looked bitterly sad for a minute before his mask went up and he commented, "I thought there would be some added 'benefits' to this transfer too, but last night I realized they were... unavailable."
Hammond sighed, "Well, you're off active duty until this situation is resolved. Give it some thought, okay?"
"Yes sir." replied Jack before he left the infirmary.
***************
Jack had just turned in his report for the mission to '279 and he was wondering the base avoiding the five other reports still sitting on his desk yet to be done.
Suddenly Jack realized he had made his way to level 19 and that he was walking towards Sam's lab.
As he approached he noticed that the blast door was open so he decided to stand in the doorway and watched her while she worked.
Sam was examining the object that SG-17 had just brought back, if he recognized it correctly. Apparently it was part of the chair system, some kind of remote control or something, or so they speculated. That was one of the reports he was putting off.
She was probing it with a pen-like device while looking through a freestanding magnifying glass and occasionally taking notes.
Jack crossed his arms and leaned into the door jam. He sighed, he loved to watch her work. It was during these rare stolen moments that he realized just how much she meant to him. He also realized that these illicit moments were twice as inappropriate now that she was seeing someone else, and that he should move on too. He smiled sadly and let his feelings for her wash over him while he guiltily enjoyed this last stolen moment.
***************
Sam was trying to figure out how this stupid thing worked. SG-17 brought it back and told her it was some kind of remote control device but so far she wasn't able to make it work. Right now she was trying to rig it to work on a naquidah generator. She upped the power flow and reset the control. It lit up and she smiled in triumph, "Got it!" she said quietly.
She sighed and stretched her back, when suddenly she was aware of a sense of peace, and contentment, but most of all love, mixed with a tinge of amusement. The emotions flowed over her. She was surprised by them and almost overwhelmed. Her breathing became quick and shallow and she clutch at the table top to keep her from falling off her stool.
"Sam are you alright?" Jack asked as he appeared at her side.
Sam spun around on her stool. Eyes wide as she realized where the emotions she was feeling came from. Sam was so surprised by Jack's emotions that she was unable to keep herself from reciprocating.
Suddenly Jacks eyes went wide and he uttered a soft, and reverent "Wow."
She tentatively smiled at him and he started to close the gap between them. Jack was close enough that she could feel his body heat coming off in waves almost as powerful as emotions that were now passing back and forth between them. Jack leaned in closer seeking out Sam's lips.
"Sam?" Daniel! "Sam, have you seen-- Oh Jack there you are..." Daniel walked all the way in not paying a whole lot of attention, until he realized the tension in the room. "Am I interrupting? I can come back at a better time." Daniel said pointing back the way he had entered.
Jack cleared his throat and shook himself out of the near trance that he was in. "No... no I was just leaving what did you need Daniel?" Jack asked turning to face his friend.
"I needed that requisition for new archeology equipment signed. We need to get the paperwork in before next week or we won't get the equipment before the scheduled dig on P5S-242."
Jack put his hand on Daniel's shoulder and turned him towards the door. "Come on Daniel it's in my office let's go get it and let Carter get back to work."
"Actually I got the control device working, Daniel, it's all yours when you're ready to translate it," put in Sam.
"Good, I'll get it on my way back, there are a few texts I want to grab from storage that will help me make a more accurate translation," smiled Daniel before turning back to Jack. "You know Jack it's really amazing what the former inhabitants of '242..." Daniel's voice trailed off as they left the room.
Sam sighed and slumped onto her stool. 'Wow' didn't even begin to describe what she was feeling earlier. It was overwhelming and at the same time comforting beyond belief, but most of all she didn't know what to do about it. Deep in thought her eyes roamed her desktop until she spotted her phone.
Well she may not know what to do about this thing between her about Jack but she knew one thing; she had a phone call to make.
Sam waited a few minutes to clear her head and prepare what she wanted to say. Then Sam picked up the phone and dialed a number that had become increasingly familiar over the last few months, and waited for the other person to pick up.
"Shannahan"
"Hi, Pete. It's me."
"Sam, hi! I was hoping to hear from you! How are you?" Pete asked with some excitement and hope.
"I'm okay," she said with little conviction.
There was a long uncomfortable pause.
"You're calling to give me the 'Let's be friends' speech aren't you?" Pete asked with disappointment.
Sam winced, "Actually I was going to ask you to meet me at that dinner we found on I-25. I was going to tell you face to face." she said.
Pete chuckled mirthlessly. "Yeah, well... If it doesn't work out with this other guy give me a call. We could still be great together."
"Look, I've got to go..." Sam said trying to end the call.
"Sure, sure, I'll... ah... see ya around. Bye."
"Bye" she hung up the phone and sighed a huge sigh, relieved that that was over and just a little twinge of pain because he was a nice guy, just... not the right guy. She did like him she just couldn't see them having a future together, and she didn't want to lead Pete on. And given her recent encounter with Jack she finally understood that she couldn't delude herself into believing that Jack didn't really care for her when he so obviously did.
Unfortunately she couldn't see a future for "Sam and Jack" because they already had a relationship as "Colonel and Major" and the latter made the former a crime.
Sam sighed and put her head on her arms. When had her life become so complicated?
***************
Daniel had just left Jack's office with his signed paperwork. According to Daniel the chairs from P4X-279 were being setup in an isolation room on level 16, but aside from the fact that Jack couldn't leave the base he didn't really care right now.
Jack was sitting at his desk thinking about what happened between him and Sam. He just couldn't figure her out. If she had those kinds of feelings for him why was she going out with Patrick? Jack shook his head and looked down at his desk.
He found two notes from Hammond. The first said that SG-6 had "left a message" for Thor's help with Jack and Sam's "situation."
The second message asked if Jack had made up his mind about commanding the Alpha Site. In many ways this was one memo he wished he hadn't gotten. He still wasn't sure why the general wanted *him* to do this. There were several other qualified people that could do this job and probably do it better. Determined to put Sam out of his mind -- as much as was possible in their condition-- Jack decided to get some more information from Hammond.
Jack arrived at Hammond's office, the door was open so he rapped on the frame to get the general's attention.
"Come in Colonel. What can I do for you?" asked Hammond.
"Sir I was just wondering 'why me?'" asked Jack, holding up the note.
"Why do I want you to take over the Alpha site?" Hammond asked for clarification.
"Yes sir," replied Jack.
Hammond pondered the question for a moment then answered, "I need someone I can trust."
"I know you trust Major Peterson, if you didn't he wouldn't be commanding the Alpha Site currently."
"That's true but the scope and size of the Alpha site is changing and it will need a full colonel to command it before too long, and I think you're the best man for the job."
"What about Reynolds, or Dixon, or even Lt. Colonel Griff, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the promotion."
"I want you, Colonel." said Hammond firmly.
Jack scrutinized the general for a minute before continuing. "You're not telling me something General. If I'm going to accept this posting I need all the facts, sir."
"I won't lie and say I'm not holding back some information, but I don't want to make promises I might not be able to keep. Please, trust me when I say it can only be good for you to accept the posting," Hammond answered vaguely, but firmly.
Jack wasn't satisfied with the answer he received but he knew not too push it anymore... at least not right now. "I'll have to give it some more thought sir."
"Understood... " Jack stood to attention. "Dismissed." said Hammond, and Jack left.
***************
Sam was working on a new object brought in by SG-12, trying to forget her personal problems for right now. They said it was some kind of shield device but she couldn't get it to work. She looked up at the clock and realized that the day was over and she had missed dinner.
Suddenly Daniel burst into her lab and announced, "I've got it!"
Sam turned to Daniel and with a smile, replied, "I hope it's not catching."
Daniel's excitement fell flat and he said, "That's a comment I'd expect from Jack!"
"I'm sorry, Daniel, what have you figured out?" asked Sam only slightly repentant.
"What's happened to you and Jack," Daniel replied his excitement starting to build up again.
"And that is?"
"I'll tell you in the meeting. 20 minutes in ISO room 4 on level 16. I need to pick up a few more books and tell Jack."
"Jack knows, don't worry," she replied absently as she focused on her work again.
"How does Jack..." Daniel trailed off.
Sam just smiled sheepishly at him.
"Oh," he said. "Then I'll just go get those books," he smiled and left.
***************
Sam, Jack, and Daniel were in the isolation lab waiting to start the meeting. Sam and Jack were standing on one side of the chairs, while Daniel was standing in front of a table covered with books on the other side. Teal'c entered followed shortly by Hammond and Fraiser. They joined Daniel looking over all the books.
"Okay Daniel you've got us all down here. Now what is it?" Jack asked impatiently.
"Well I've had some time to look over the chair devices that you and Sam sat in, they have some writing around the bases and across the backs. They're really very significant in the culture of the Ancients. It's really quite fascinating how important they are to their --"
"Daniel get to the point." said Jack tersely.
"Right, anyway these chairs were connected to a display panel sitting on the self behind them so Hayes brought that back too. Once Sam was able to power it up to access the device I was able to translate the information about the chairs. I found ceremony rites and prayers. The prayers asked for God's blessings on a 'holy union'"
"Union... as in..." "marriage?" asked Jack and Sam in unison.
"That's what I was trying to tell you. These chairs play an important role in the Ancient marriage ceremony," said Daniel, as the corners of his lips turned up. "So according to Ancient customs, you're now Mr. And Mrs. O'Neill." he tried to hide a smile.
"Doctor Jackson," Hammond said with just touch of reproach, "Continue."
"I'm sorry sir," Daniel said becoming serious again, but he was enjoying this way too much.
Jack interrupted before Daniel could continue to dig a hole. "Okay, we're 'married', so how do we get... 'divorced?'" he asked with a slight shrug of his shoulders.
Daniel started flipping through his papers looking for the required information. "Uhh..."
Sam elbowed Jack discreetly. "Ow! what was that for?" he asked her so no one else could hear because he just *knew* what it was for.
"You find out we're married and the first thing you ask about is a divorce?!" she fained hurt.
"Actually," he whispered in her ear, "the first thing I thought of was the honeymoon but I figured I'd get elbowed for saying that," he said to her.
"Ow!" winced Jack as she elbowed him again. "I can't win with you!" he complained.
"Not when the General is in the room you can't." she said coyly.
"I don't know if there is a way," Daniel answered Jack's question. "But we are still working on it so don't worry. If there's a way to separate you two, we'll find it." Daniel smiled wanly at them, while he played with his glasses and shrugged.
Daniel flipped a few more pages and then added, "Oh, by translating the prays I was able to compile what I think will eventually happen to you guys."
"Really, I'd like to see that list so I can know what to expect," said Janet as she started to look over Daniel's shoulder.
"Sure, I'll make you a copy, basically the chairs are supposed to create a permanent bond between the husband and wife. In the bond they will be able to 'communicate without talking,' they'll be able to experience each other's emotions. It's meant to bring them into harmony, to be of '~one mind.' One phrase used was 'joined at the brain' although that's a rough translation." he looked up and smiled briefly, "One of the prayers put it very poetically, it referred to the results of the union as 'one soul in two bodies.' It was really beautiful when read in it's original Ancient, it was quite moving. Here let me read it to you." Daniel started flipping through the papers.
"No!" interrupted Jack quickly. "Unless it will help us."
"Probably not," said Daniel with some disappointment, "but I'll keep looking maybe some of the other prayers will mention a process to reverse this."
"Let's hope so." said Hammond. "In the mean time it's late and I think we, all, should get some shut eye. Dismissed."
***************
The next morning Jack was in his office thinking about his future, hiding from people, and playing with his yo-yo. He'd gotten his reports done. In fact he was completely caught up on paper work, which was very rare given the constant flow of requisitions for supplies, and personnel paperwork that crossed his desk.
Maybe he *should* take that Alpha Site position. The Alpha site project was his baby after all. He'd made most of the recommendations for the current setup and operation of the facilities. Plus he was already doing more then his share of paperwork for the SGC. The only problem was that he would really miss the fieldwork.
This whole decision would be a lot easier if Sam could still be in his future. He sighed. It might work anyway, he thought, but it just wasn't as appealing without the incentive of a relationship with Sam.
Speak of the devil. "It's open." He called as he put down the yo-yo.
Carter entered and sat in the seat across the desk from him. "You could have waited until I knocked." she said indulgently.
"Nah," he shook his head, "it's more fun this way. So what can I do for you?"
"Sir, permission to speak freely." requested Carter nervously.
His new abilities made it easier to read her and tell what she was feeling. "Always, you should know that Carter," Jack replied, trying to put her at ease.
"Are you thinking about leaving SG-1?" she asked.
Jack was a little surprised before he realized. "Let me guess." he pointed to his head and said "My thoughts to yours?"
"Yes, sir," she nodded with a faint smile.
"There has got to be a way to control this thing between us." he mused, before adding, "Well, not that it's any of *your* business, but yes I was thinking about it. Why?" he asked.
"It is my business, and it's Daniel's and Teal'c's too. You can't leave the team, without talking to us first." she protested.
"Why not?" he demanded.
"Because we're friends, and friends talk to each other, especially when they're making decisions that will effect each other."
Sam's irritation fueled Jack's irritation at her and he lashed out. "Affect each other how? You certainly didn't seem to feel that dating Petey-boy might affect me. Why should I consider you?"
"That was a personal decision!" Sam defended.
"So is this!" retorted Jack.
"It's not the same!"
"Sure it is. We're both leaving everyone else out of the loop." She could feel his hurt radiating from him and she calmed down a bit.
"Would it matter if I had told you back then?"
"I would have asked you to wait."
"For how long?"
"For as long as possible... because you know how I feel about you."
"I wasn't so sure about your feelings several months ago."
"I would have convinced you."
"And then I'm just supposed to wait until one of us dies?" she asked disgustedly.
"No, until Hammond asked me to transfer to the Alpha Site... He seems to think I'm indispensable," Jack laughed mirthlessly.
"You are," Sam added quietly.
Jack continued as if she hadn't spoken. "He wants my answer ASAP so he can make the final arrangements and get the process started. And when he mentioned it before our mission to... uh..."
"P4X-279" she filled in absently.
"I thought it was a great idea, I thought it would be the start of something for *us*, but now there can't be an us."
"Why not?" she asked tentatively.
"Because you're seeing someone else." he said harshly.
"No, I'm not. Not anymore. I broke it off with Pete."
"Really?" he asked with surprise and hope.
"Really."
"I'm sorry." he said knowing that it couldn't be easy for Sam, because she didn't take relationships lightly.
"Don't be. It never would have worked out," she dismissed.
"Still, it can't be easy for you."
"It's not, but I'll live," she smiled, her eyes glistening.
There was silence for a beat, before Sam continued, "So, are you going to take this opportunity?"
He could sense her hope suddenly flair up. And their connection heightened his awareness of the double meaning in her words. "Yeah, yeah I think I will."
She nodded her head slowly trying to suppress her smile.
Suddenly she was all business. "How long before we should expect a new CO, sir?"
"Recently, Hammond has been making the suggestion that you be given your own command and I think he's right."
"You're going to break up SG-1?!" she asked surprised.
"No, I thought I'd recommend you for command of SG-1."
"Me?" she asked with disbelief.
"Why not you?" he countered.
"Well for one, I have little prior command experience. Two SG-1 is the flagship team, wouldn't it be better to have a more experienced team leader? Possibly someone with a Special Ops background?"
"Sam, there are only a hand full of officers who have had the off-world experience you have, plus with the extra training Teal'c and I have given you over the years I'm sure you could hold your own with most."
"But, shouldn't I cut my teeth on another team first?"
"Don't you want to command SG-1?" Jack asked surprised that she was almost fighting this.
"Yes, sir!"
"Then what's the problem?"
"No problem, sir." He wasn't convinced.
He stood and walked around the desk to sit on the edge. "Look Carter there's no one I would trust more with my life, or with the lives of my team, then you. Consider this recommendation an endorsement of your skills," he said as he put his hands in his pockets.
"Thank you sir," she smiled warmly.
"Seven years ago you had a lot to learn, but under my expert tutelage you've grown into a fine leader. A leader that I would trust to take over my team."
She snorted, "Expert tutelage?"
"I think you should thank me for everything I've taught you," he replied with a twinkle in his eyes.
She was truly smiling now, and there was a matching twinkle in her eyes. "Thanks... for nothing," she tossed back at him.
"Ohh, sarcasm, I taught you that too," he smiled.
"Yes you did," she rolled her eyes as she stood up to leave. She pause. "Thanks," she said sincerely.
"For what?" he asked. "Sarcasm?"
"For believing in me. For making me laugh. For everything."
"You make it easy," he shrugged, before he cleared his throat and stood, "Now get out of here, I've got paper work to do," he smiled at her.
Sam shook her head and smiled as she left knowing that he was lying about the paperwork.
***************
Sam was wondering around the SGC after her conversation with the Colonel. She entered the elevator and selected 19, she'd go to her lab she could always find something to do there.
She wanted to get closer to Jack and as much as it saddened her his leaving the team would facilitate that. They could have a romantic relationship and neither of them would have to leave the Air Force. It really was the perfect solution, even if she wouldn't get to see him every day anymore.
The elevator doors opened and Sam got out and took the long way to her lab.
The more she considered the ramifications of Jack taking the position at the Alpha Site, the bigger her smile got, and she could feel her good mood being reciprocated by Jack.
As she rounded the corner to her lab Janet appeared. "There you are Sam, I was going by your lab and I thought now would be a good time to run some more tests to see how your situation is developing.
"Sure, let's go."
Sam and Janet talked about Cassie and her college choices while they made their way to the infirmary. When they arrived Jack was already there.
"Colonel! I was just about to call you," Janet said surprised to find him anywhere near the infirmary without bones sticking out of his skin.
"I know," he said. "I figured I'd save you the trouble," he smiled smugly.
"Well, I guess the connection is stronger," mused Janet as she picked up her clip board.
"Let's started with something simple. Colonel, please pick a number, like yesterday."
"42" said Sam before Jack had a chance to reply.
Janet smiled. Jack gave an indignant, "Hey! It's not funny... She's right." he admitted sheepishly. Janet couldn't help but laugh.
After they ran through the tests again Janet said; "Well it looks like it really is getting stronger. You're hitting about 60 to 70 percent correct."
Janet made some notes and then went on. "Alright then, let's do some neurological tests now," Janet continued as she put her clip board under her arm and led them into the back room where all the scanning and imaging equipment was setup.
A short while later the three found themselves back in Janet's office, looking over scans of their brains.
"As you can see between these two images, it looks like the rate of change is starting to slow down. A few more days and I'd say what ever this is doing to you will be done," she concluded.
"Will you still be able to undo it?" Jack asked, "We'd like to be able to get back to full duty."
"I don't know."
***************
Jack knocked on the general's door.
"Enter" came the gruff reply.
"Sir, I came to talk to you in regards to the position at the Alpha Site," informed Jack.
"Oh?" asked Hammond hopefully.
"I'll do it," Jack stated.
"Good, good! I'm glad to hear it. As much as I hate loosing you from SG-1 I know you're doing the right thing and I'm thrilled to be keeping you on at the SGC for the long term."
"Thank you, sir," said Jack.
"I'll put the paperwork through, and your transfer should be effective by the end of the week. Of course you'll be confined to base until this current situation is resolved.
"Yes sir. Thank you sir."
"Have you told your team yet?" Hammond asked.
"Not all of them, we have a meeting tomorrow morning and I'll tell them then," Jack said as he stood and headed to the door to leave.
"If I may ask, what finally tipped the scale?" asked Hammond.
Jack stopped at the door and looked back, meeting the general's eyes Jack replied, "Those personal benefits suddenly became available again," with just the hint of a smile.
Hammond gave a soft smiled, "I'm glad..." he said sincerely as Jack left, "for both of you," the general added after Jack was gone.
***************
Jack had a lot of paperwork to fill out for his transfer and he thought he'd get a jump on it. He'd been working on it for most of the evening and into the night. That coupled with the poking and prodding and the busy mission schedule they'd had lately and he was ready to drop.
Jack arrived at his quarters entered and began to disrobe in the dark. He sat in the chair by his bed as he took off his boots. He took off his BDU shirt and placed it over the back of the chair.
Suddenly the nightstand light was turned on with a click.
Sam was lying in bed leaning on her elbow facing him. She was wearing a tank top, the covers down around her waist. Her hair was mussed up and she looked like she had been sleeping.
"What are you doing in my quarters?" Jack asked her as he approached.
Sam squinted at the light. "They're my quarters," she answered groggily.
"Your quarters?" he asked stunned.
"Yes, sir," she replied on a yawn.
"I could have sworn..." Jack mumbled as he tried to remember how he got to where he was currently standing.
"Nope, mine." replied Sam, blinking.
"I can see that." Jack replied as he took a good look around the room, seeing all her personal touches before refocusing on Sam.
There was a drawn out silence, while he just stared at her.
"What?" she asked self-consciously.
"It's just that you look..."
She blushed. "I do not," she said replying to his thoughts.
"I think you do," he said softly as he carefully knelt down next to her. He focused on her lips as he moved in closer still.
Suddenly there was a light knock on the door. Sam pulled the covers up. Jack grabbed his shirt and slipped it back on. The knocking came again, a little harder this time, as Jack stepped into his boots, and Sam called out "Enter."
Daniel slipped his head in. "I saw your light on as I was going to my... quarters '" Hi Jack, what are you doing here?"
"It's funny really... I ah... I walked in to the wrong room. I think it had something to do with this... ah, connection we have." he shrugged by way of explanation. "Anyway, I was just leaving. Goodnight Sam I'll see you tomorrow."
"Goodnight, sir."
As Jack left he acknowledged Daniel. "See you in the morning Daniel."
"Jack" Daniel replied as he watched the older man leave.
"I'm sorry Sam did I interrupt something?" asked Daniel baiting her.
"No Daniel you didn't. The Colonel entered the wrong room and he was just leaving when you came in."
"It's just that I saw your light on and I thought that you might be having trouble sleeping too. I'm really sorry," he babbled.
"Daniel!" she got his attention, "Don't worry about it, it's okay," she said to ease his mind.
He smiled, placated.
"Now, get out of here and let me sleep," she mock ordered.
"Yes ma'am." Daniel mocked back as he left, "Night Sam."
"Night Daniel." she replied as he closed the door.
She flicked off her light before flopping back onto her bed and sighing loudly.
This was becoming crazy.
***************
"Leaving SG-1? Are you leaving the SGC too?" Daniel asked the next morning at the team meeting.
"No, I'm transferring to the Alpha Site."
"Why?" asked Daniel.
"My knees, mostly," replied Jack with a trace of sadness.
"I didn't think they were that bad," put in Daniel.
"They're not, yet, but if I keep up the way I've been going then I don't have that long before they *are* that bad."
"What's going to happen to SG-1?" Daniel wanted to know.
"Well I've recommended Sam for command."
"But if you guys want to transfer I won't hold it against you," Sam jumped in.
"Major Carter I would be honored to serve under your command," Teal'c replied without hesitation.
"Me too Sam this is great news. Now I may actually get to have some fun," supplied Daniel.
"The Air Force is serious business Daniel. You shouldn't be having fun," Sam teased.
"It can be a serious pain in the butt," grumbled Jack as he flipped through a new stack of paperwork on his desk.
Daniel looked at Jack's desk and asked. "So why did you take this desk job anyway? I mean we all know how much you love paperwork. What would possess you to take a job that increases the amount you have to do?"
"There are some benefits that I feel outweigh everything else."
Daniel looked confused "What benefits, you love field work?"
"I believe O'Neill is referring to the ability to openly court Major Carter."
Everyone stared at Teal'c.
"I guess you could put it like that." replied Jack blandly.
"Really?" asked Daniel.
"Really," answered Jack.
Daniel looked over at Sam, she was blushing. "Wow," he said. "I guess... congratulations you guys."
"Well nothing's happened, we haven't even really discussed it yet," said Sam.
"I wish you both well and know that whatever happens I will stand with you both," promised Teal'c.
"Me too," added Daniel still a little surprised by the turn of events.
"Thank you guys that means a lot to us," Sam answered for both of them.
Jack's phone rang.
"O'Neill." he answered gruffly.
"Yeah." Pause, "Yeah, they're here too... Okay we'll be down in 10." He hung up.
"What's up?" Daniel asked.
"Hammond wants an update in the conference room."
***************
SG-1, Fraiser, and Hammond all took seats around the conference table.
"The latest tests are back, it seems that the changes in the brain chemistry are slowing down, sir," Janet started off.
"So whatever it's doing it's almost done?" asked Hammond.
"It looks that way," replied Janet.
"Before we started you said you have some ideas?" asked Sam hopefully.
"Yes, I--" started Janet before she was interrupted by a brilliant white flash.
"You wished to see me in regards to O'Neill and Major Carter's health?" asked Thor.
"Thor, it's good too see you again!" Jack replied.
"We called because, Jack and Sam have used this," Daniel pulled a picture of the chairs out of a folder and handed it to Thor.
Thor's eyes opened wide before he said: "I was unaware that any Ancient Union devices had survived." He then turned to Jack and Sam and added, "O'Neill, Major Carter on behalf of the Asgard High Council may I congratulate you on your union." Thor's voice went from conversational to formal and recited, "This is indeed a time for great celebration, two friends have found each other and in each other they have found love." Thor then bowed his head reverently. Sam turned red with embarrassment, and Jack coughed. Thor looked up at the two before asking, "Would you like me to recite the rest of the Union blessing?"
"No!" came two emphatic responses from Jack and Sam.
Thor looked a little surprised, but replied, "As you wish."
Daniel jumped in quickly and said, "I'd like to hear it." Jack glared at Daniel who blinked owlishly before adding, "but it can wait until later."
"We didn't do this intentionally," commented Sam calmly to redirect the conversation.
"What is it you wish of me?" asked Thor.
"Well we were hoping you could just zap this problem away. You know, like you did with the Ancient head grabber... thing." supplied Jack.
"The Ancient Repository." filled in Sam.
"You wish me to undo what the Union device has done?" asked Thor with surprise.
"Got it in one, buddy." said Jack.
"I can not," replied Thor.
"Can not or *will* not?" Jack tried to clarify.
"I cannot. The Ancients never shared that technology with us since the Asgard have no use for it."
"Ah, Right," said Jack.
"So you can't help us?" asked Sam with some disappointment.
"I cannot undo what has been done. I am sorry Major Carter."
"Is there anything that you *can* do for us?" asked Jack.
"I can help your doctors to understand what has happened to you. The Asgard database contains some little information gathered from the Ancients on what the effects of a union are and the time frame for their manifestation."
"But it's not dangerous to their health?" asked Janet, trying to clarify Jack and Sam's situation.
"No, it is not," replied Thor.
"So we'll have to find a solution ourselves," commented Jack with a little frustration.
"I caution you O'Neill there may not be a solution. From all accounts there was never a dissolution of a union, whether that was because of tradition or lack of a method I do not know." supplied Thor.
"So that's it?" Jack asked incredulously.
"I will endeavor to locate more information on the Ancient union ceremonies, however I doubt more will be found," replied Thor.
"We'd really appreciate any assistance you would be able to give us." Sam jumped in before Jack could say anything.
"I will endeavor to do my best," promised Thor. "I shall return when I am able." and as suddenly as he arrived Thor was gone.
"So what are we supposed to do if we can't find a way to undo this?" asked Jack sullenly.
"Well Thor did say that we were in no danger by being joined." Sam mentioned with a shrug.
"So are you saying that we should just leave it?" asked Jack.
There was a long, thoughtful pause.
"Not necessarily," she backtracked, "but if we can't find a way to reverse its effects..." she trailed off.
"Well," said Janet "I have a few ideas about this. What if we just put the Colonel and the Major back in the machine? There are a few variables that can be changed on the remote control, one of them may reverse this. I suggest we look into this if Thor can't help us."
"Agreed." ordered Hammond. He looked at the two officers speculatively, before adding: "I think it's best if we exhaust all our options before we leave this as is."
***************
The next morning Sam walked into Jack's office. "Janet wants--"
"Haven't you heard of knocking?" he asked from where he sat.
"Why should I, you knew it was me before I got to the door." she shot back with a twinkle in her eye and a smile on her lips. "Besides I *know* you don't mind."
He stared at her for a minute before her flirtatious mood affected him. "Cheeky," he said as he smiled. "So what brings you here?"
"Janet wants to do some tests. As you well know."
"Why do you think I'm in my office?"
"Because you knew you couldn't hide from me." she tossed back. "Not with my advantage anyway."
"I hate being a guinea pig," grumbled Jack.
"She just wants to see how far we've progressed. It shouldn't take long." Sam coaxed him. "Now let's go."
Jack didn't get up. "I'll make it worth your while." she tempted him.
"Lunch in the commissary is not worth my while." he grumbled falsely as he got up, "but it's a good place to start."
***************
Jack was sitting across from Sam, after their check ups, while they ate lunch. Daniel and Teal'c sitting next to them, talking to each other.
"And he said 'I think it's his mummy.'" Daniel started laughing at his own joke. Teal'c raised an eyebrow. Daniel started to quiet down when he realized that no one else was laughing.
"Guess, you had to be there," Daniel said to Teal'c.
Sam smirked, Jack smiled. Then she started laughing. Daniel and Teal'c looked at them. "Is something humorous Major Carter?" Teal'c inquired.
"No" she glared at Jack. "No, it's just that the colonel..." she shook her head. "Never mind."
Jack tried to look innocent, Sam turned red. Teal'c raised an eyebrow and Daniel looked confused. Sam was saved from her embarrassment when an airman arrived.
"Sirs, ma'am, your presence is required in the briefing room." said the airman.
"Thank you airman." replied Jack as they got up.
***************
As SG-1 arrived at the briefing room they saw Thor standing there with Hammond and Frasier.
"So Thor what have you got for us?" Jack asked with hope as he entered the briefing room and sat.
"Very little I'm afraid. The best Asgard medical minds do not have a viable solution. I am sorry I have not been of more help O'Neill."
"Yes well..." Jack replied, "You did your best I'm sure."
"However, with time to study the problem, the Asgard may be of some help," Thor added.
"How much time?" asked Jack suspiciously.
"With the current state of the Asgard race, it may be several years before anything could be concluded satisfactorily," Thor replied.
"Years?" Jack asked incredulously.
"Longer if you wish to return to earth on occasion."
"Return to Earth? We'd be stuck in some lab off world? No way!" replied Jack emphatically.
"Thor will there be any problems with us going off world on missions. Are there any complications we should be aware of if we can't reverse this?" Sam asked.
"No Major Carter I did not turn up any information that would suggest any negative side effects," Thor answered.
"So if we can't find a way out of this right away we should be able to continue with our lives pretty much as normal," she concluded.
"Yes," answered Thor. "I wish you well in your search for a solution," and with that Thor was gone.
"Okay people, it looks like Dr. Frasier's theories are our best bet. Let's get to work on them," ordered the General.
"It'll take us the rest of the day to set up. We'll start first thing in the morning." Janet informed everyone.
"Alright, we'll reconvene up in ISO room 4 tomorrow at 0800. Dismissed," commanded the General.
***************
"Okay, first were going to try using the chairs just like you did the first time." Ordered Janet as she entered the isolation room at 0800. Hammond, Daniel and Teal'c were up in the observation room. Jack and Sam were standing in the back of the ISO room out of everyone's way.
Jack shifted his morning coffee back and forth in his hands. "You know I'm really going to miss this," he said. Everyone turned to look at him surprised.
"Really?" asked Sam.
"Yeah," he said, "I was finally able to understand a woman." Jack finished with a glint in his eyes and smirk on his lips.
"Well" Sam replied with a twinkle in her eyes, "after all this and I still can't say I understand men."
There were a few chuckles and snorts as people went back to work.
He leaned into her and whispered, "I really will miss it if all this" he indicated the rest of the room, "works," he said sincerely.
"I know," she said, "so will I." She smiled at him, before turning towards the chairs.
"Okay Sam, we're ready for you." Janet said. "We'll be monitoring your vitals throughout the experiment. We'll stop if anything starts going wrong."
"Sir if you'd sit down please." Janet requested.
Jack walked over to the chair and sat down gingerly. He looked around. "Is that it?" He asked.
"No, sir" Janet replied like he was a troublesome little kid. "You need to sit back and *relax*." she instructed, while she gently pushed him back into the chair.
Jack leaned back and sighed. He looked over at Sam. She looked calm on the out side but she was nervous, he could feel it. Jack took a deep breath, relaxed and closed his eyes. Then he let his feelings for Sam wash over him and pass on to her. When he opened his eyes and looked over at her, Sam was smiling. Suddenly Jack felt Sam's feelings for him flow over him and a nervousness he didn't realize he had slowly seeped away.
The nurses started to prep them both for the experiments. Attaching sensors and setting up monitors.
Once the nurses were done Janet started to monitor Jack and Sam's vital signs as they quickly became tired and drifted off to sleep. Several scientists monitored the output of the chairs and notified the doctor when it began to operate.
Almost five minutes later the technician reported the chairs had finished. The doctors monitored their life signs and kept a close eye on their patients while they slept.
***************
Sam woke up, she smiled. Jack was still in the back of her mind. He was asleep, still sitting in the chair next to her.
"Ah, Sam you're awake." came Janet's voice from the door. "How are you feeling?" she asked as she approached.
"Fine." she answered.
"And your connection?" Janet asked.
"It's still here," replied Sam suppressing a smile.
"I'm sorry, I thought this might work."
"Don't blame yourself Janet, it's not your fault."
"You're taking this pretty well," commented Janet with some speculation.
Sam blushed. "I have to admit I've gotten used to having Jack in my head."
Janet quirked an eyebrow, and a hint of a smile appeared on her lips. "You know I've noticed you've been using the colonel's first name lately." Janet commented quietly as she took down some notes.
Sam's blush deepened. "Like I said, I've gotten used to having him in my head and he doesn't think of himself as 'the colonel' he thinks of himself as 'Jack.'" She shrugged, "I guess it just kind of seeps in."
"Mmhmm," said Janet as she continued to take down a few more notes. "Well anyway you're both still in perfect health, so we'll try the next combination when the colonel wakes up."
Just then Jack woke up. When he opened his eyes he looked relieved.
"The Colonel's awake," Sam told Janet placing just a little extra emphasis on his title.
"Colonel welcome back to the land of the conscious. How are you?"
"Fine."
"And the connection."
"Still got it," he replied.
"Okay let's try the next variable." she turned to the nurse and spoke up, " Lt. Rush, please start the next phase."
***************
Over the next three days Janet and her team had put Sam and Jack to sleep over 100 times with no results. Now she was in Hammond office to tell him the news.
"The chairs aren't the answer General." Janet reported to Hammond. "They may lead us to an answer but that would require a team of technicians and scientists to figure out how they worked and then how to reverse it. And given that the problem isn't life threatening and it isn't incapacitating..."
There was a pause.
"No, you're right doctor they'll never allocate the funds required to figure out how it works, not when the funds could be going to planetary defense. It looks like Jack was right."
"How's that General?"
"We don't have a choice, if we want them back we'll have to accept them as they are."
"Well, that may be, but I'd like to run a few tests with them and the gate before I sign off on either of them traveling off-world again."
"Agreed doctor. If they aren't fit for off-world duty I want to know about it. Do your tests."
"Yes, sir." Janet said as she got up to leave.
"Dismissed."
An hour later Janet was bundling Jack off through the gate with Teal'c and a nurse, while she and Daniel remained to monitor Sam.
There was almost no change in either patient as they were separated until the gate shutdown and Sam gave a little gasp at the sudden "emptiness."
After 10 minutes had passed Janet asked "How are you?"
"It's so quiet, I hadn't even realized..."
"It's nice to be alone again?" Janet smiled.
"I guess so," Sam replied with a weak smile. "Although I know he's alive, and I can tell which direction he's in."
"Well all your vitals check out. So it doesn't appear to have had any effect on your health."
Sam smiled wanly. "Thor said as much."
"Thor also said the Asgard don't know that much about this technology. Let's just wait and see what happens over the next 45 minutes, okay?"
Sam smiled reassuringly, "Okay."
***************
"They should be reconnecting in the next couple of minutes." Janet commented as she looked at her watch.
Sam was sitting facing the gate, calmly.
"How are you doing Sam?" Daniel asked as he entered the conference room from the control room below.
"Alone," she smiled.
"That's good. That mean that you guys can go off-world again," he smiled at her.
"Incoming wormhole." announced Sergeant Harriman over the intercom.
Suddenly the gate burst into life. Janet looked over at Sam and noticed that she was smiling to herself.
Janet went over to her, "How are you?"
"Good, really good, and so is Jack-- so is the Colonel."
***************
"Well doctor?" asked Hammond as SG-1 and Fraiser took their seats at the conference table.
"There were no discernible changes in either of them that would prevent them from going off world," informed Janet.
"Sir, permission to get back to work," asked Jack eagerly.
"To the Alpha Site?"
"Yes sir."
"Doctor?"
"I don't see any medical reason why not. They're both in perfect health, they can just hear each other's thoughts," shrugged Janet.
"I'll take it under advisement, Colonel," answered Hammond.
"Yes, sir" replied Jack.
Hammond stood up, "Dismissed."
***************
Jack walked into Sam's lab the next day. "Hammond said he'd put us back into the off-world schedule. He also said we're no longer confined to base."
"That's good," she smiled.
There was a pause. "My transfer is official now and I'll be shipping out next Monday. However if anything strange started to happen we'd both be called back and taken off active duty again..." He picked up a pen off her desk and started playing with it, "Anyway, I was thinking..."
"I'd love dinner. I'm already packed up and ready to leave for the day." she smiled.
"That was easy." he smiled back. It was silent for a moment. Jack walked over to her. "You know..." he started.
"I know." she smiled at him.
Jack leaned into her. "It'll be nice to get off the base after almost two weeks."
Sam licked her lips. "uh-huh." Jack leaned in closer.
"Jack? Sam?" Daniel. "Hammond said you could leave and I was thinking we could go out and celebrate-- Am I interrupting something?"
"Um, yes!" answered Jack. Sam smiled just before he captured her lips for a slow, leisurely kiss.
"I'm sorry." replied Daniel, "I should... just... go..." he said as he watched them kiss.
Jack broke the kiss and sighed. "Daniel?" he said closing his eyes.
"Yeah, Jack?"
"Get Teal'c we'll meet you guys at my house."
"Sure." he stood there waiting.
"Daniel?"
"Yeah Jack?"
"Leave. Now."
"Sure, sure. See you in a bit," said Daniel as he slowly turned around and left as Jack reclaimed Sam's lips for another more brief kiss.
***************
Sam loaded the movie into Jack's DVD player.
Daniel picked up the DVD jacket and read it over. "Oh, I haven't seen this one, but I've been looking forward to it," commented Daniel from his chair by the windows.
Jack walked into the living room with the pizzas. "Here you go guys. Eat up."
Jack set the pizzas down on the coffee table, grabbed a couple of slices and sat back on the couch.
Teal'c, Daniel, and Sam took some pizza. Sam also grabbed the remote, started the movie, and sat down right next to Jack. When the title came on the screen Jack snorted. "They made a movie out of that!?"
"It has won numerous awards, and much acclaim." replied Teal'c.
Jack just grumbled. Sam leaned back into him and sighed while she kicked off her shoes and put her feet up.
Daniel looked over at the two people on the couch and smiled wistfully, remembering Sha're.
***************
As the movie ended Daniel grabbed the remote from the floor where it had landed when Sam fell asleep. Daniel turned off the TV and he and Teal'c closed up and left the house quietly using their spare key to lock the door behind them.
Jack and Sam were snuggled into each other asleep. As the front door closed Jack woke up, he carefully extracted himself from beneath Sam, got up and stretched himself, before bending down and scooping Sam up into his arm's careful not to wake her. Jack carried her to his bed and gently set her down.
He brushed a kiss across her forehead before he quietly turned around and got ready for bed himself.
***************
Sam woke Saturday morning to the smell of coffee. She smiled and stretched when she realized where she was and how she must have gotten there. She sat up and looked around a little, before she wondered out to the kitchen and found Jack making eggs.
"Morning," she said as she made her way to the coffee pot.
Jack smiled, "Eggs? It's that or Fruit Loops" he said.
Sam smiled, "Eggs sound good," she replied as she poured herself a cup of coffee. "Can I help?" she asked.
"Nah, they're done," he said as he put the eggs on a plate and handed them to Sam. "Go eat before they get cold."
"Thank you," she said as she took the plate.
Jack got three more eggs and started cooking them.
Sam sat down at the table and looked out the window, as she realized where she was. It was so surreal she just smiled in awe.
A few minutes later Jack came over and sat with her, and they ate in silence.
Jack was setting his fork on his empty plate when Sam next spoke. "We should take this slowly," she said looking up at Jack, "Get to know each other better."
He shook his head in agreement as he met her eyes, "Okay," he said.
"Good," she replied now that that was decided. "Let's start now."
"Right now?" he asked surprised.
"Sure," she replied, "Why not?"
He thought for a moment before replying, "Why not." He paused, then cleared his throat. "What would you like to know?"
Sam thought for a minute, "Tell me about your family."
***************
Monday had found Jack stuck behind his desk all day so it wasn't until Tuesday morning that Jack found himself walking down the hall to Hammond's office. Officially he started his duties for the Alpha Site in 6 days but Jack decided to get a jump on some of the large details, including filling assignments for the small personal staff he was allowed. Jack had made a few phone calls over the weekend and had decided on a right hand man. Now he just had to finalize a few last minute details with Hammond.
Jack arrived at Hammond's door and knocked.
"Enter," came the gruff voice of the general.
Jack opened the door and walked in. Hammond was behind his desk and Major Paul Davis was sitting across from him.
"What can I do for you Colonel?"
"I wanted to talk to you about the Alpha Site sir. I've got some paperwork that needs signing, but I've also got a personnel request I was hoping to talk to you about."
"Are you referring to your new XO?" Hammond asked.
"Yes sir, I'd like Major Davis for the job."
"I can see you've already discussed this with him," Hammond observed when the Major didn't blink at the request.
"Yes, sir." answered the Major, "That was our next order of business."
"It took a little convincing, but I got him to say yes," added the Colonel.
"I'm looking forward to the challenge, sir," added the Major.
"Good, because you're going to have one." Hammond shuffled through some papers and pulled out one. "I've been given orders to send a platoon of Marines to be stationed at the Alpha Site. It seems the Marines want to increase their role with the Stargate program as do the Navy and Army. Not to mention the foreign powers wanting to increase their presence in the SGC."
"What presence?" Jack asked.
"Exactly," replied Hammond dryly as he handed the orders to Jack.
Jack skimmed the paper. "Jarheads I can handle, Russians I'd rather not see on my base."
"You might not have much of a choice. Try to be diplomatic. Please."
"Yes, sir." Jack grudgingly replied.
"You ship out in six days. 1330 hours."
***************
Jack was standing close in front of Sam in the gear-up room, their hands clasped.
He leaned his head against hers and sighed "I'm really going to miss you. I feel like we were just starting to get to know each other."
"We were," she replied with a smile.
"Our week went too quickly," he kissed her, "but I'll be Earth-side weekends."
"I know."
There was a knock on the door.
"Yeah?" Jack called.
"O'Neill, it is time to depart." came Teal'c's rich voice.
"On, my way," Jack called back, before turning to Sam. "Come see me off?"
"Of course," she smiled back.
"After you," Jack spread his hand for her to precede him before he picked up his duffel bag and followed her out.
They met up with Teal'c and Daniel in the hall. "You guys going to see me off?"
"Sure, nothing better to do." tossed out Daniel, Jack rolled his eyes.
As they walked down the halls Jack and Sam took the lead, arms touching as they swung. Daniel and Teal'c followed behind, Daniel with a small smile and Teal'c looking as impassive as ever. As they got out of the elevator on level 28 they were joined by Major Davis carrying his duffel bag.
As they reached the gate room the last of the supplies were being moved up the ramp and through the gate to the Alpha Site.
Jack walked over to the base of the ramp were a Marine Lieutenant and a Master Sergeant were standing. "Lieutenant Marshfield."
The Lieutenant and sergeant turned to face the Colonel, and saluted. "Sir!"
Jack returned the salute, "Are your men ready?"
"Sir Yes, Sir!"
"Then send them through the gate," Jack ordered.
"Yes, sir." Marshfield turned to the sergeant and ordered; "Move 'em out!"
The sergeant saluted then turned to the exit opposite where SG-1 were standing and issued some orders. Suddenly the gate room filled with Marines as they marched up the ramp and through the gate.
"Jack, we're going to miss you." Daniel said as they all came to a stop near the bottom of the ramp. Jack pulled Daniel into a hug and slapped him on the back. "I'm going to miss all of you too, but I'll be back and we'll see each other regularly."
Sam stepped forward. "Good luck, sir." she said as she held out her hand to shake.
Jack looked down at her hand, he took it then pulled her to him for a hug. "I'll see you in a week," he whispered in her ear. She nodded on his shoulder. "I love you too," she whispered in response to the feelings that were washing over her.
He gave her one last squeeze before he let her go and turned to Teal'c. "T, buddy. Take care of yourself." he said as they clasped arms and shook, before hugging. "Look after them." Jack said to Teal'c.
"Indeed I will," replied the stoic Jaffa.
Major Davis started for the ramp, but he was stopped by Sam. "Major," she said, "You'll do a fine job," she glanced at the colonel half way up the ramp. "Keep your eye on him for us." she asked him.
"Of course," replied Davis with a small smile.
Teal'c bowed his head at the Major as he passed by.
As the last of the Marines marched through the gate the Colonel and the Major approached the Stargate.
"So," Jack said as they got closer, "First trip through the gate, 'eh?"
"Yes, sir." replied the Major a little nervously.
Jack smiled, "You won't feel a thing."
*************** Epilogue ***************
Several weeks later Jack was sitting behind his brand new desk, in his brand new office at the brand new Alpha Site working on the same old paperwork. He hated paper work, but he had no choice he'd just completed a tour of the temporary compound, and he'd already been to the mess tent to get something to eat and it wasn't even 0630. But he was bound and determined to get it done because he wanted to get home early and surprise Sam. Especially after her ordeal with the Super Soldier a couple of weeks ago.
Suddenly there was a knock on his door, "Enter," Jack called out.
As the door opened Jack put down his pen and set aside the papers he was working on. Maybe the reports could wait just a little bit longer. "Jacob!" Jack smiled, "It's good to see you" he continued as he stood up and walked over to shake Jacob Carter's hand.
"It's good to see you too." Jacob said as they clasped hands firmly.
"What brings you here?" asked Jack.
"I'm here to help move the remaining Tok'ra to our new world. But right now I'm here to see you. I never thanked you for saving Sam." replied Jacob as he took the seat across the desk from Jack.
"Hey she saved herself, I just brought her home, besides I would have done it for anyone." Jack answered, shrugging.
Jacob seemingly changed the subject, "How long have you been in command here?"
"Almost five weeks now." replied Jack.
"And you've been seeing my daughter for all that time?" asked Jacob, as he studied Jack.
"Yes," replied Jack carefully.
"I see," responded Jacob.
"You disapprove?" asked Jack.
"Not really" Jacob answered him, "I guess she could do worse..."
"But?" prompted Jack.
"But I'm concerned about your... baggage," stated Jacob bluntly.
Jack nodded his agreement, "Me too."
"And what are you going to do about it?"
"Everything in my power."
Jacob nodded, "Good... because so help me if you don't..." Jacob voice took on a threatening tone, "Well, there are always Gou'ald looking for new hosts."
Jack shuddered.
"So, when are you going to see my daughter next?" asked Jacob as if he hadn't just been threatening Jack.
"This weekend. We have a... date, I guess you could call it."
"Give Sam my love and let her know I'm alright. Also let her know I'll try to get around to Earth to see her before too long. I'd do it myself but I've got to get back to the Tok'ra quickly, we're really stretched thin right now and every operative is needed." Jacob stood up and extended his hand to Jack again.
"I will," promised Jack as he stood and grasped Jacob's hand, "Dad."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to bcmilco