Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Unbalanced: Growing Up

by Airam
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
You can't save them all - can you? pt2

You can't save them all - can you? pt2

by whisper99

Summary: A slow night at the SGC brings the team a mystery.
Category: Alternate Universe, Mystery
Episode Related: 701 Fallen
Season: Season 7
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-06

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.

***Next Morning***

0800 - Hammond has returned from his trip off world to the alpha site with Teal'c.

In the briefing room, SG1 fills them in on the new arrival.

Hammond calls the meeting to order, "Dr. Fraiser. How is the young lady doing?"

"Well sir, she should be fine and back on her feet in a day or two. She's still a bit groggy from the sedatives we gave her last night, but she's been able to talk. I've given her every test we have to check for outside influences, including being host to a Goa'uld and everything has checked out normal."

He nods, asking, "Any news on the DNA results?"

She nods, looking into the file, then taking a moment to look at Jack, before answering, "Well sir, the tests are fairly conclusive. There is a 99% chance that the Colonel is her biological father."

At the news, Jack frowns slightly, running both hands through his hair. Daniel and Sam exchange glances, but say nothing.

Teal'c tilts his head in Jack's direction, asking, "Perhaps she is but another clone, something created from samples of O'Neill's DNA?'

Janet nods briefly, "There is that possibility. She could have been genetically manipulated using the Colonels DNA samples along with another human so her genes match his, but not be identical to his."

Sam asks, "Like a test-tube baby?"

Janet nods an affirmative.

Jack makes a face, "That's more than I needed to hear."

Janet continues, "Well, if you look at the copy of the file in front of you, you'll find something a bit more interesting about our new patient.."

Daniel asks, "It says here her date of birth is June 14th...uh...2001?" he gives Janet a sidelong glance, peering at her over his glasses.

Jack asks, `What...you saying she's 3 years old?"

Janet shakes her head, saying, "No sir." She continues for the rest of the team, "This morning I was trying to complete her medical file and asked her some routine questions. When she said 2001 for her birth year, I thought she was just confused. So I asked her what today's date was and she said fairly confident, `August 20th 2017."

As Janet speaks, Jack counts intently on his fingers, "So you're saying she's 16 and from the future?" directing his question to Fraiser.

Janet nods, saying, "That's what it looks like."

Daniel asks, "Does she know what year it is for us?"

Janet shakes her head, answering, "No...I didn't bring it up and I don't think she noticed that there might be something wrong. I'd actually recommend not telling her what year we're in, until we find out more of what is going on. If what she is telling us is true, I think her predicament will be difficult enough for her to cope with."

Jack shakes his head, interrupting, "That just can't be right then. Why would they let a kid go off world like that? "

Daniel says, "Well if her father is someone who could just, aah...demote someone on a whim...maybe he wouldn't see anything wrong with letting her go off world."

Jack glances over at Daniel, giving him a `that's just wrong' look.

Daniel shrugs, continuing, "Besides, if the notes I read on the journal we found in her pack really are hers, she does seem to know quite a bit about archeology."

Hammond asks, "Did she say anything else doctor?"

Janet shakes her head, "No sir. After answering just a few of my medical questions, she told me I was giving her a headache and that I should go away. And that was it." Janet closes the file in front of her. "She hasn't said a word since, to anyone."

Hammond shakes his head, taking a moment to collect his thoughts, "Ok people. I'm not exactly sure what to do here. What we know is that she is a potential security threat, so we need to treat her as such."

Daniel says, "But she's just a kid."

Teal'c says, "Children have been used as weapons against us in the past, Daniel Jackson."

Daniel nods, saying, "Yes, I know that Teal'c. But this just doesn't make sense. I really think she's here by accident. I mean, why go through all the trouble to make up something like this?"

Sam says, "Maybe she's a spy? I mean, she might not even know it herself. This entire thing could have been fabricated for us to trust her if we believed her arrival here is just an accident."

Hammond asks, "Major Carter, did you find anything on the readings you took from the gate when she arrived?"

"Well sir, aside from the gate increasing its power consumption to twice its normal amount, everything else was normal. However, there is good evidence to suggest that the gate behaved exactly like when the wormhole was redirected to the Stargate we found in the Antarctic."

Hammond asks, "So you think the wormhole she was in got shunted from her universe into ours?"

"Through time?" Teal'c adds.

"I'm not sure." Sam explains, "It's all theoretically possible. But everything, from sunspots to power surges...to who knows what else, would have to be timed to happen so, so perfectly, that I don't think something like that could just happen. I mean, it would be a one in billion...trillion chance of it ever occurring at all, let alone it happening naturally."

Hammond nods, saying, "Ok then. Major, you continue researching the feasibility of what we have just discussed." He looks over at Jack, who has been sitting quietly the during most of the meeting, "Jack, I want you to go and see if you can get the young lady to tell us more information about where she's from and how she thinks she got here."

"Me, sir?" he asks, "Isn't that more Daniel's...area of expertise?"

Hammond shakes his head, "No. I don't think that she'd be willing to open up to someone who she knows is dead in her world."

Daniel nods, agreeing as Jack asks, "Well, what about Teal'c?"

"I shall come with you O'Neill. I believe if you approach her with a firm hand, she will do as you ask."

"What makes you so sure?" Jack asks.

Teal'c explains, "She will perceive you as her father. No doubt she has great respect for his authority, as evidenced by her choice of words to Doctor Fraiser."

Jack nods, saying, "Allright, but that's only assuming she's telling us the truth.

Daniel adds, `I'd say that's assuming she believes that to be the truth. Even if this is all some kind of plot, she may not know it."

Jack shrugs a bit, asking, "Doc, when can we go see her?"

Janet arranges the files in front of her, answering, "You can go now. She was awake when I came here."

"Allright people. You all know what to do. Dr. Jackson, if I may have a word?"

Daniel nods, remaining seated as Hammond continues, "I need to ask you what you think the situation developing at the alpha site."

The rest of the team departs, leaving Daniel and Hammond talking quietly.

*To be continued - Feedback will be appreciated!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to whisper99