Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Unbalanced: Growing Up

by Airam
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
You can't save them all - can you? pt 5

You can't save them all - can you? pt 5

by whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC brings the team a mystery. More questions are asked than answers received.
Category: Alternate Universe, Mystery
Season: Season 7
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-11

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.

***Late Evening***

Daniel helps Teal'c set out, then light the dozens of candles that surround them both inside room. He takes off his jacket and settles cross-legged in front of Teal'c.

Offering him a bit of a self- conscious smile, Daniel closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He finds himself dreaming, though strangely aware of his surroundings, almost able to sense the energy of the flickering candles around him. He is in a quiet place, listening to the teachings of Oma Desala. He hears her voice though he cannot see her, as she tells him "You cannot save them all, Daniel."

He turns around to look for her, but is startled when he hears a child crying in the distance. "Hello?" he calls out, trying to find where the sound is coming from. A moment seems to pass and he is standing in a room. Nothing in it is notable except for a skinny little girl, dressed in pajamas, who is sitting on the floor, rocking back and forth in a corner of the room.

Watching her for a long moment, Daniel finally approaches her, kneeling in front of her and asks gently, "Hello...are you ok?"

The child does not appear to hear him and continues rocking. Confused, Daniel straightens, calling out, "Oma? Why am I here? Who is this?"

Daniel feels Oma's presence next to him, although he does not see her. He feels her say, "She calls."

Daniel turns once again to look down at the girl, "I don't understand. What do you mean?"

Oma simply repeats, "She calls." And she appears next to the girl, reaching out and almost, but not quite, touching her head.

Daniel stands again, looking down at the girl, confused because he can still hear someone crying, but it's not the girl in front of him. She continues to rock herself but makes no sign of seeing anyone, her face devoid of any expression. A nurse comes in, checking on the girl saying, "Now, now, Doctor's going to want to see you soon. We need to make sure you're all nice and clean." The nurse lifts her up and carries her to the bed, checking to make sure she hasn't soiled herself. All the while, the girl pays as much attention to the nurse as she did to Daniel and Oma. When the nurse leaves, the girl manages to sit up on the bed and begins to rock herself once again.

Concerned for the girl, Daniel walks over to the bed and copies Oma's gesture, reaching out his hand towards the girl, asking, "Is she the one I hear crying?"

Oma stretches her hand out, blocking Daniels. "It is not for us to interfere, Daniel. This is the first and hardest lesson for any of us to learn."

"She's just a child...", and with that, he reaches out, lightly touching his fingertips against the girls forehead, brushing away the hair falling in her eyes. With that moment of contact, the girls eyes flicker up, and lock on Daniel's blue eyes. She cocks her head to one side, no longer rocking. Her face, no longer expressionless breaks into a happy smile, in her eyes a spark of recognition as they light up, "Uncle Daniel?" she whispers.

Daniel smiles, shaking his head as he realizes the girl can now see him. "My name is Daniel. But I'm not your uncle."

Still smiling, with a somewhat far away look in her eyes, she says, "You came back. I've been waiting." And she reaches out a hand and touches his cheek.

A bit startled, he nonetheless reaches out, taking her small hand in his and she squeezes his hand tightly, as if seeking reassurance. Seemingly mesmerized by the touch, he does not notice when Oma's presence leaves the room. "What's your name?" he asks the girl. She smiles, delighted and answers him with, "You're so silly!"

In the distance, he can hear someone calling out, "Daniel Jackson. Can you not hear me?", an insistent voice continues to call his name, even as he feels himself being shaken. "Wha..?" he blinks, appearing disoriented as he looks around the room. Looking up, he sees Teal'c kneeling beside him, with both hands on his shoulders, "Daniel Jackson, are you awake now?"

Daniel nods slowly, taking his glasses off and rubbing his eyes for a moment, "Yeah...what? What is it?"

Teal'c sits back on his legs, saying, "You have been deep into Kel'no'reem for several hours. It is in fact, almost 3am."

Daniel looks up, appearing startled at that, "I have not..." he shifts, trying to stand and groans slightly, "oh...yes...I guess I have. Why didn't you wake me?"

Teal'c stands, offering Daniel a hand to help him up, "When I finished with my meditation, I saw that you were still deep into Kel'no'reem and I thought it best to leave you. I could not know you would remain so for so many hours."

Daniel stands, rubbing his legs with both hands and stomping a bit, trying to get his circulation going, "Aaah...pins and needles."

"Did you discover something during that time?" Teal'c asks, offering Daniel a bottle of water.

"Uh...oh...uh..." he stands, stretching himself with a yawn, "Ah...I think so. Though I'm not sure what it all means." Running both hands through his hair, he scrubs his head, making a mess of his hair but hoping it will waken him further. "The little girl I heard crying...that was Jess. I'm almost sure of it." He gestures with his hands, palm side down, saying, "She was little though...hair was longer and in pig tails."

"How can you know her, if she is indeed from an alternate reality?"

He answers, sitting down to rub his left foot, grimacing as the pins and needles feeling starts to strengthen, "I don't know...I just know that I do. It was a memory, but it's not as focused. I didn't feel...I dunno, frustrated, I guess is the word, like when I remembered about Rya'c and Bra'tac. It all seemed so...new."

"Perhaps this is a memory from when you first ascended."

"You mean before I found out there were strings attached to all that great power and knowledge?"

Teal'c nods, "Perhaps."

"Ok...so what does it mean?" Taking a long drink from the bottle, he looks up over at Teal'c who is carefully blowing out the candles that remain lit.

"Perhaps it is no accident that Jess O'Neill has found her way here, however unlikely the scenarios we have discussed are."

Daniel says slowly, "Ok...if that's true, then _why_ is she here?"

Teal'c tilts his head, giving Daniel a close look before answering, "Perhaps you would be the best one to answer that."

Blinking his eyes a few times, he looks up at Teal'c, shaking his head, "I...I have no idea what to say to that. Yes...I _somehow_ have this memory of knowing her, but...how does any of that mean I know why she's here?"

"If you sleep, perhaps it will come to you. There are a few hours yet until the morning."

Daniel nods, asking, "Mind if I just crash here?"

Teal'c pulls a blanket from a drawer, tossing it and a pillow to Daniel. "If the floor will do, there is a mat behind you that should make it more comfortable." Daniel nods a thank you.

"Goodnight, Daniel Jackson. I hope that you remember more in the morning." Teal'c steps out from behind a partition, wearing only briefs as he gets ready to lie down in his bed.

"G`night Teal'c. Me too." Daniel sets out the mat, pulling off his pants as he covers himself in the blanket, laying down and putting his head on the pillow.

***Morning***

Jess nods at Fraiser, looking at the pill bottle she's given, "Right. One every four hours as needed." She hops off the bed, biting back a groan as the light impact jars her sore body. She takes a deep breath, smiling around the pain as she asks, "Ok then...where to?"

Fraiser points to the guard standing by the door and says, "Lt. Marshal will take you to the briefing room where you'll meet with General Hammond and the rest of SG1."

Adjusting the front of a blue jumpsuit, she reaches for a hat that's lying on top of the bed and pulls it on her head. Whistling a bit cheerfully, she walks out of the door, escorted by the Lt. and two other guards.

As Jess is escorted out of the infirmary, Janet reaches for the phone and places a call, "Yes sir. She's on her way now. Should be there within 5 minutes."

***In the Briefing Room***

Sam is reviewing some files in front of her. Jack is quietly talking to Hammond in one corner of the room. Teal'c watches as Daniel pours himself his fifth cup of coffee this morning.

There is a knock on the door and Lt. Marshal steps inside. "Sir. Here is Ms. O'Neill."

Hammond nods, gesturing as he says, "Come in." To the guards he says, "You can all wait outside." The guard nods, then steps aside, letting Jess walk in.

Tugging on the front of her hat, she looks around the room quickly, taking in who is there and says, "'Mornin."

Hammond pulls out a chair for Jess and says, "If you wouldn't mind taking a seat, we can get this started."

Jess nods, sitting down and soon starts to tap the fingers of her good hand on the table. Before Hammond begins to speak, Jess says quickly, "Um...now, don't take this the wrong way or anything. I really appreciate the help you've given me, y'know...I guess you didn't have to. Could' a chucked me back through the gate back the way I came. But anyway, just wanted to let you know that you can feel free to chuck me back out through the gate, right to P3X-398, anytime now." She finishes quickly before anyone can get a word in.

Jack answers by way of saying, "We don't make it a habit to not help people who show up at our doorstep, mostly broken."

Jess looks over at Jack, thinking what he said over. Hammond shakes his head, and tries to take control of the meeting, "Be that as it may, there are still some things that you need to know, Ms. O'Neill."

"Jess...call me Jess. And do please let me know what is so freaking important that you need to tell me before you let me try to get home." She swallows, frowning slightly as if trying to keep her temper under control.

"Young lady, you need to watch that tone." Hammond stares down at Jess until she mumbles an apology. He nods and gestures to Carter.

Sam stands up, glancing over to Jack, then back over to Jess before saying, "Jess...see...we don't actually know that there is any way to get you back home."

Jess shakes her head, starting to argue but Sam continues. "The gate sent you here from an alternate reality. We can't even begin to guess how it could have done that...but we do have a clue, maybe."

Jess gives Sam a bored look as she continues, "We want to show you some footage of your arrival through the gate. There is definitely something you need to see, that you may be able to help us explain."

As Sam presses play on the video, Jess rolls her eyes, muttering, "You have GOT to be kidding me." Sighing, she sits back and watches the tape, "What the hell is that thing?" Jess asks, when she sees the ascended being coming through the gate. "It's creepy looking."

Jack asks, "You don't...recognize that at all?"

Jess shakes her head, pulling off her hat and running her good hand through her hair. She fingers the knot at the back of her head, wincing slightly. She reaches in front of her for a glass. Teal'c leans forward, pouring her some water. "Looks like an octopus or something." She says as she pulls a pill bottle from her front right shirt pocket, fiddling with the top. Giving Teal'c a sidelong glance, she rolls the bottle towards him. He opens it for her and slides it back over. She quickly takes two of the pills.

Daniel says, "We have reason to believe that is an ascended being...an Ancient most likely."

Jess nearly chokes on her water at that. Wiping her chin, she asks, "An Ancient?"

Daniel nods but before he can continue, Jess interrupts him, "So what? Who cares? So a creepy-crawly decided to hitch a ride. Big deal. Can you all just dial the gate and let me go now?"

Jack has been watching Jess very closely the entire time and he finally says, "Y'know kid...you need to stop acting the brat and listen to what we're telling you." Sam shoots him an alarmed glance, but Jack ignores her and continues, watching Jess' reactions carefully. "You are 10 years in the past, Jess. Right now, the year is 2004."

Jess sits back in her chair, looking up at Jack with the same colored eyes, lifting her chin defiantly, she says, "So...what, you expect me to start blubbering or something? Ooh..lost in time with a bunch of losers. I _am_ GENERAL Jack O'Neill's daughter, in case you have forgotten, _Colonel_ and I know my rights. You can't keep me here."

Daniel breaks in, saying, "Ok...now is not the time to start those tempers flaring. That's not going to get us anywhere."

Ignoring Daniel, Jess continues to try and stare down Jack as she says harshly, "I am here because of some freak accident. I don't believe you that I'm 10 years back in time...between my reality and yours - what kind of crock is that?" she shrugs, "No, no...our...our time zones must be different somehow or something. Anyway, the Stargate doesn't go through time. It _can't_ do that."

Sam chimes, "Sure it can...we've been back through time, even forward through time using the gate. And with an Ancient being involved...well...anything is possible. Maybe he...she...wanted you to be here."

Jess stares at Sam for a long moment as the words seem to sink in; she stands slowly, walking over to the glass window overlooking the embarkation room. She fingers her cast, taking a few deep breaths, and asks firmly, "Why? What would this...Ancient...thing bring me here for?"

Having been quiet for most of the meeting, Teal'c prompts, "I believe Daniel Jackson may know the answer."

Daniel shoots him an alarmed look, eyes widening. He swallows as the rest of the team look expectantly at him. "Dr. Jackson...do you have some new information for us?" Hammond asks.

Daniel shrugs slightly, then nods, saying, "Well...ah...I had a dream last night. I think I remembered something....from the time I was ascended. Jess?"

She continues looking down at the Stargate as Daniel gets up and walks over to her. He stands just slightly behind her and to the left, "Um...where you ever in a hospital when you were a little girl?"

Jess works her jaw slightly, frowning as she answers, "Maybe..."

Daniel continues, "It was about a year or so ago for me...but...I remember being there. I was with you." He gently places a hand on her shoulder; he says softly, "I can't explain it really, but I think I heard you crying."

Jess turns around slowly, facing Daniel, looking up she locks gazes with him. In a heartbeat, she cocks her right shoulder, making a fist despite the cast on her arm and lays a punch on the unsuspecting Dr. Jackson. Sam and Teal'c get rush up to help Daniel who crashes backwards landing on the floor. Jess doesn't move from where she stands, rubbing her arm. Jumping up, Jack makes a grab for her. Breathing heavily, Jess doesn't resist, saying in a tight voice, "You get him the hell away from me."

Upon hearing the commotion, the guards quickly enter the room. Jack orders them away, saying, "I got it...it's all under control."

Hammond asks quickly, "Dr. Jackson? Are you all right?'

Daniel nods, holding his head as Sam tries to stem the flow of blood from a cut above his right eye. "Sir, I think he's going to need stitches for this." Hammond nods and says, "You two escort Dr. Jackson to the infirmary. Jack and I will finish our meeting with Ms. O'Neill here."

After the other members of SG1 leave the room, Jack steers Jess into a chair, and he sits next to her.

Hammond says, "Young lady, what the hell was that all about? Do you have any idea of what kind of trouble you are in at the moment?' he demands of Jess.

Jess says quietly, with most of the emotion gone from her voice, "It can't get any worse sir...besides, he was out of line."

"Listen up kiddo. This isn't a game. You can't just attack people." Jack says with a warning note in his voice. Jack stares into her face, locking gazes and sees confusion mingled with a hint of panic reflected in her eyes.

She looks away, and Jack can see her faade of strength start to crack as she says, "I...I'm sorry about that...I...he...he shouldn't have touched me..." She takes a deep breath, fighting back tears as she says, "Jack...I already told you once before...I don't know how you can be who you are and not understand it." Her voice cracks, "This is going to kill my father. I _HAVE_ to go back." She stares down at her hands rubbing the fingers on her bad arm.

Taking a deep sigh, Jack says softly, "Jess...we were hoping to tell you this a bit more diplomatically, but things obviously got a little out of hand..." Jack looks at Hammond for support. Receiving a nod, Jack takes a breath and continues, "We can't establish a lock to the gate symbols you gave us to P3X-398. There isn't any `going back' there."

Jess shakes her head, still staring in front of her, "No, you must be dialing it wrong."

Jack shows her a piece of paper with the gate address written on it, "Is that the address?"

She nods, saying, `Maybe your addresses are different than mine."

Jack thinks this over a minute, before saying, "Maybe...what's Earth's gate address?"

Jess looks up at him for a moment, tears sliding down her face. She shakes her head, sniffling saying, "No sir...I can't tell you that. But...how about this instead? P3C-117" she jots down the gate symbols best she can manage with her left hand.

Jack tilts his head, looking sideways at what she's writing, "The Nox homeworld." He looks up at Hammond, who says, "Get that confirmed." It takes a few moments for Jack to hand the paper to one of the guards outside and give him instructions. They sit waiting silently while Jess wipes the tears from her face. A few minutes pass, the guard comes in and whispers something to Jack.

"It's a match, Jess. Your gate symbols and ours do match."

Taking a deep breath, she admits in a soft voice, "Y'know...I'm an assistant to SG12's chief linguist, Josh Morrow. He got sick last week...couldn't make it to the mission. They would've rescheduled but I begged my dad to let me go instead. I told him it would be an easy mission." She laughs softly, wiping her eyes, "He never lets me go off world without him, but this once, he did." She shakes her head, saying, "This wasn't supposed to happen."

O'Neill watches Jess closely, putting a hand on her good one, giving it a squeeze. She looks at him, eyes wide, she whispers, "I...I don't know what to do..."

Her eyes start to look glazed over and Jack calls out her name, "Jess? Hey, don't go passing out on us. You aren't alone, y'know. We're all going to do everything we can to help you."

Her head lolls to one side, but she shakes herself out of it. Appearing to come back to her senses, she asks, "Where's Daniel? I think I need to talk to him now."

Hammond says, "Colonel...before we let her out of here, she needs to be restrained and under constant guard."

Jack looks up at Hammond, asking, "Is that really necessary??"

Hammond answers, "Do I need to remind you just who is in the infirmary at the moment because of our young guest here?"

"Ah...well, true." He stands, taking hold of Jess' arm and pulls her up. "I'll see to it, sir."

"See that you do." As he stands and makes his way back to his office.

Jack says quietly to Jess, "Are you normally this much trouble to your father?'

She sniffles and offers him a soft smile, "I like to think so."

Jack calls out to the guard and they manage to secure Jess' hands behind her back. She's escorted to guest quarters. She is insistent the entire way that she really needs to see Daniel.

*To be continued - Feedback will be appreciated!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to whisper99