Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

What Do You Do When Bad Things Always Happen To The Good Guys? (15/End)

by Debi C
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The trip back to the city was almost anticlimactic. After they arrived back at their hotel, Doctor Markov made arrangements at the Sakha State University, which boasted the Medical University, for a local doctor to treat their wounds and check out Sam and baby. The Doctor assured them that all was well with both mother and child, but he admitted them for rest and observation and urged them to stay a few days to allow everyone a chance to relax a bit and grow stronger before their long trip back to the United States.

There was also a legal matter of a birth certificate and other documentation for customs and other governmental agencies that they would meet on the way back to the United States.

The following day found Daniel on crutches, Jack and Sergey standing in the town square looking at a sheaf of official looking papers that declared one Claire Elizabeth Carter-Jackson a citizen of Yakutsk, Republic of Sakha, Russia.

"Humph," Jack shook his head. "A Russian citizen no less."

Daniel looked at him curiously. "So? I was an citizen of Egypt by birth. What difference does it make?"

"None, I guess." Jack acknowledged with a sigh, "It just doesn't seem right."

"Oh, I don't know Jack;" Daniel smiled over at Sergey. "I know some really good Russian citizens."

Jack glanced over at Kuryakin, "Oh, yeah, well, you know what I mean."

Sergey nodded, "Thank you, Doctor Jackson."

"As soon as we get back, we can apply to have dual citizenship granted for her." Daniel commented,

"I'm just glad she's as healthy as she is. I was worried when I found out how long Sam had been kept unconscious."

"Yeah, that bothered me too." O'Neill admitted. "I'll just feel better when we get them both back to the states."

"Have you called the General yet?"

"No, I couldn't find a secure phone yesterday. Markov said to come by this morning and she'd make arrangements." Jack smiled at the thought of breaking the news to Hammond. This was gonna be fun.

Daniel and Sergey did some time computations during their lunch at a small downtown cafe and determined that it would be five o'clock in the afternoon in Denver. Knowing that General Hammond never left before six, and often stayed later if there was anything going on at the SGC, Jack felt fairly sure he'd still be in the Mountain.

Jack pulled his notebook with Doctor Markov's office address out, and they called a cab for transportation to the college campus where she worked and did her research. The old Mercedes cab was missing some paint and had a dent or two, but the driver, who was surprised to find two of his passengers were Americans, got them back to the State University safely through the crowded narrow streets of the old city..

Making their way in the old brick building that served as office space for the teaching staff, they finally located the petite Russian woman who had willingly come to their assistance during their foray into Russia. Her office was small and cramped, but crowded with books, journals, and a very impressive looking computer. Obviously, her work here had government backing and financial support. As the three men squeezed into the tiny space, she put down her pen on her crowded, paper filled desk and smiled up at them.

"Good morning, I hope you've had a profitable day so far," she said in English.

"Oh, yeah." Jack replied nodding. "We got the paperwork in order from this end. But I'm afraid that we'll have to borrow a phone to let our General know to clear the way on into the US for us."

"Of course, and Major Carter? She is doing well?"

"Yes, thank you." Daniel shifted his weight on his wooden crutches. It had been a long walk for him.

Markov got up from behind her desk and came to where they were standing. She pulled some books off of an old armchair and sat them on the corner of her desk. "Here, Doctor Jackson, sit down." She nodded to his crutches; "I know how awkward it is to be incapacitated in strange surroundings. I'll have my assistant make your connections. Then, you can take your call from in here."

Daniel eased himself down gratefully into the chair. "Thank you, Doctor Markov."

Jack came over and stood by his friend, "Do you want to tell Hammond?"

Daniel smiled up at Jack, "and take that away from you?" He chuckled. "Not for a moment."

Sergey looked back and forth between the two men, "So, Doctor Jackson, you are really the father of the child?"

Jack and Daniel looked at him curiously. Finally, Daniel nodded at him, turning slightly pink. "Yes, we decided that we both wanted a child and didn't have much of an opportunity for normal lives and relationships, so..." he shrugged.

Jack tilted his head slightly, and asked with a grin. "Why? Who did you bet on?"

"Me? I did not bet. I do not know of you and your team. But there are many who will lose money when we go back to the SGC." The young man smiled slightly. "Most of them were betting on you, Colonel O'Neill."

"Then they don't know us very well either." Jack replied smugly.

Doctor Markov's secretary came in and said something in her native language to Sergey, who nodded at the Colonel. "The phone call, it is waiting."

Jack picked up the phone and spoke into the instrument. "O'Neill."

"Colonel, this is Hammond. How are things going there?" Jack had to smile at the concern wrapped around the Texan twang.

"General, everything went well. Mission accomplished. We just need some transportation back to the States."

"Excellent, Jack. I've been keeping an eye on the scheduled flights from your area." Jack could hear the sound of paper rustling. "The soonest thing back is a C-5 out of Osan."

O'Neill thought about it briefly, but decided to pass on that one.

"Uh, General, I'm afraid that won't be suitable. There will be six of us, Sir, and one of the parties needs more specialized handling than is available on a cargo plane."

"Oh?" I was given the information that there was some time left."

"Well, as you know, Sir, things just seem to happen."

Jack could almost hear the General shake his head. "They certainly do with SG-1." There was a pause, and O'Neill could hear some voices in the background. Then Hammond came back on the phone. "Understood, Colonel. We'll make some special arrangements for your transport...and to get you through customs with your special delivery package."

"Yes, Sir. Thank you." He had to smile. "We appreciate your help, Sir. The less stress on the team at this point the better."

"I understand completely, Colonel, don't worry about it. Your paperwork will be expedited. Just a moment." More noise and then another voice came on the line.

"Just a moment, Colonel." More noise and then another voice came on the line.

"Colonel O'Neill? This is Fraiser, is everything all right?"

"Oh, hi, Doc. Yes, everything is just fine," he smiled at Daniel.

"Here, I'll let you talk to the Doctor in charge." He handed the phone to his friend.

Daniel made a face at him as he took the receiver. "Hello, Janet. This is Daniel."

"Daniel. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything went very well. They are in a hospital for observation overnight, but delivery was normal, and they'll be released tomorrow."

"Oh, Daniel, that's wonderful! How are you?"

"Fine, Janet." At his words, Jack rolled his eyes. Fine was not a term Janet Fraiser approved of.

"Daniel? What do you mean fine?" Her voice took on a suspicious tinge.

"Uh, you know, fine." He looked at Jack for help. "We're good now, Janet. Honest."

O'Neill made a gimme motion with his hand, giving Daniel a look of disgust. "Hey, Doc."

"Just what does he mean by fine, Colonel?'" She demanded. "What happened?"

"Oh, you know, Doc." O'Neill used his casual voice. " We came, we saw, we conquered, and Daniel got shot in the leg, nothing serious." He thought he heard a strangled sound. "Package is find, carrier is fine, entourage is fine, no problem."

"Colonel." He could hear her eyes rolling.

The phone changed hands again. "Colonel, There will be a C-21 en route to your location in an hour. It should be there by tomorrow. Is your initial documentation in order?"

"Yes, all paperwork is finalized and on file at this end." Jack looked over at Daniel. "All signed, sealed, and delivered, from Russia with love."


****


A week later, Jack was playing host to SG-1 and friends at his suburban home. Daniel was staying there until his leg healed as per his usual habit. The bar-b-que had been delicious, the weather fine and the company congenial. It had been a very good day. The conversation was lively and interesting as always. Sergey looked uncomfortable but everyone had gone out of their way to make him feel welcome. Cassie especially was taken with the handsome young man, much to Jack and Janet's chagrin.

People had started to leave soon after dark; Fraiser admonishing Daniel to be careful of his injured leg and giving Sam a hug. George had finally agreed to give baby Claire back to her doting father, adding his name to the babysitting pool before leaving. Ferretti graciously paying Teal'c the hundred dollars he owed on their private bet, though he mumbled about inside information being unfair. Jack had pointed out that he should have known better than to bet with a team member.

After the bulk of the guests had left, Daniel and Claire retreated to his upstairs room, with a little help from Uncle Jack, to get some rest. Both of them needed a break from the excitement. It was the princess' first public appearance and she needed a nap; Daniel was still having some trouble with his wound and they were both getting fussy. He also knew that for the pain meds to work he needed to rest his leg for a while or he would suffer the consequences of a return visit from Janet.

Finally, just the team was left. O'Neill, Carter, and Teal'c were seated around the kitchen table. Jack poured coffee for himself and Carter and juice for Teal'c.

"Colonel," Sam started when he had sat down. "Sir, we've been talking."

"Yeah, I saw the three of you huddled up today." He acknowledged.

"What were you talking about?"

"We were speaking of you, O'Neill." Teal'c replied.

"Oh?"

"Yes, Sir. We were." Carter took a deep breath. "I, well we, know that you're contemplating retirement so that you can take care of Claire."

"Yeah," he took another sip of coffee.

"Well...we don't think you ought to." Sam said definitely.

"Really," he put down the cup. "Why? Don't you trust me?"

"Oh, please, Colonel! Of course we trust you, no one more. It's just we're a little selfish."

Teal'c nodded soberly. "O'Neill, the SGC needs your wisdom and skills. The fight against the Goa'uld is far from finished. General Hammond is a wise leader, but he does not lead in the field. The Taur'i still need a great warrior to show the way. Your loss at this time could be a fatal mistake."

Before Jack could reply, Carter jumped back in. "Besides," she grinned at him. "If you retire now, I'll have to take a team, if not SG-1 than another. I want some Mommy time. And," she shook her head. "I wouldn't like to see Daniel go through the gate without you. You're the only team chief that he'll listen to."

"That's not true, Carter. He goes off world with different teams all the time." O'Neill shook his head, smiling at Daniel's reputation for trouble.

"Yes, Sir. But you always give them instructions about the care and feeding of archaeologists. And they try their best because they know what will happen if they let him get hurt," she laughed. "I heard Major DuPrat say that he'd rather get killed or goulded before leaving Daniel behind, because O'Neill would rip his head off and stuff it down his neck."

"I never said that!" Jack replied with a grin. "I said I'd make him wish he was dead or goulded, I didn't give any details."

"I believe Major Ferretti added the in-depth procedures that would be forthcoming, O'Neill." Teal'c added with a small smile. "He has an active imagination and a vivid speaking pattern."

"Yeah, that does sound like Lou all right."

"But the point being, Sir is that the SGC can't afford to lose you just yet. Janet has said that she and Cassie can babysitting for a while." She shrugged. "Besides I have my three-month maternity leave. I can always do light duty for some time afterwards too. There are plenty of projects that can keep me on base. And, Daniel always needs down time too." She looked at him slyly. "Retirement just seems so permanent..."

"I hadn't noticed." O'Neill groused back. "I've tried it two different times and it never seemed to take."

Carter chuckled. "Well, don't let it take this time either. I want some time to be a Mommy, and I want Claire to have a Daddy, and an Uncle Jack, and an Uncle Teal'c. I just think that to do that, SG-1 has to stay intact for a while longer." She ducked her head and looked up at him from under her eyelashes, "and it would make Uncle George really happy too."

"Okay," O'Neill groused back at her with a grin. "I guess I'm not quite ready to hang up the old P-90 yet, and it will come soon enough on its own. I won't write that letter now...I'll give it a few more months."

Carter smiled at him in relief and glanced at Teal'c. "Well, now that that's accomplished, I guess I'd better call it an evening. Claire's up entirely too late, and I think her Daddy is too. Auntie Janet is not going to be pleased if his leg swells up again."

"Yeah, you're right, Mommy. Let's go check on our kids."

The two men helped Sam gather up the baby items that had now become a part of her lifestyle and took them all out to her brand new Jeep Cherokee. The vehicle had been sitting in her driveway when she had returned to her home from her short stay at the SGC's clinic. She had immediately accused first Daniel, then O'Neill of buying it. They both had denied any knowledge of the jeep. At first Sam had been adamant about returning it, but O'Neill had pointed out that her car was still in the police impound yard and would need some extensive repairs to return it to its original pristine condition. He also mentioned that Teal'c had recently acquired a Jeep CJ-7 and you did not insult a Jaffa by returning his gift. It would hurt the big guy's feelings and he would pout. Jack did not want a pouting Teal'c; so suck it up, Carter! She had finally relented and by now was happy with the car.

Upstairs was very quiet as they approached Daniel's room. Jack carefully pushed the door open, smiled broadly, and motioned to the other two with one hand while putting a finger to his lips in a gesture of silence. As they looked into the room, they could see where Daniel, lying on his back on the floor, had been reading to Claire. She was lying sprawled on his chest, asleep. Her father had also dozed off, with the book he had been reading to her from on the floor by his side. The two had the exact same expression on their faces, mouths just barely open and eyebrows pulled slightly together as if studying some esoteric language. Jack managed to slip out of the doorway and into his room. He returned in a moment with a digital camera and clicked off several frames.

Sam looked at him in curiosity. He smiled, then whispered to her. "If anyone asks you who the father is, just show them this. There is no doubt that this little acorn didn't fall too far from the oak tree."

Teal'c nodded and whispered back. "Indeed, I will collect a large sum of money from Lieutenant Colonel Barrett. He insisted the child was yours."

Daniel awoke to the presence of his three teammates. "Hey," he asked groggily. "What's going on?"

O'Neill looked at Carter with a grin. "Okay, Mom, you get your kid.... I'll get mine. It's way past their bedtimes."

A happy ending.