Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

What Do You Do When Bad Things Always Happen To The Good Guys? (15/End)

by Debi C
[Reviews - 2]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Major General Hammond called the three remaining members of SG-1 into his briefing room. Major Carter had been missing for two weeks now. The Air Force and FBI investigation had been downgraded due to lack of any activity on the case, the local Police due to lack of manpower. General Hammond understood intellectually, but Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, and Teal'c did not take the news well.

"I don't get it, General! How can they just give up after a couple of weeks?" The younger man spoke out quickly.

"They're not giving up, Doctor Jackson. They just have other things to do. The search will continue, just without so much concentration on it." Hammond shuffled his notes unhappily.

"They're treating it as a kidnapping now. All the Major's passwords and applicable codes have been changed or cancelled. If you go off world without her, a new iris code will be issued to you.

"Be that as it may, General," O'Neill started to speak glancing at his two team members, "we're still going to be looking."

Hammond nodded. "I thought that you would want toŠbut where will you look? I know you've been beating the bushes since she's disappeared, but you haven't turned up anything yet."

O'Neill looked over at his Commanding Officer. "I've got feelers out; it's just a matter of time before something turns up." He glanced at the other two men. "We just have to be ready to act when it does."

"Pulling in a few old favors, Colonel?" Hammond looked at him curiously.

O'Neill nodded. "I have a few left out there, but I have to wait for them to bear fruit." He nodded at Daniel and Teal'c. "We've all put in for leave, but I'm holding them till there's something to be done."

"Very well, you three just stay available on base. I won't assign any away missions for awhile." He looked at them. "I assume you all can find something worthwhile to do on base, that is until you want to start your leave."

A quick sharp rap sounded on Jack's door. He answered it in his jeans and tee shirt to discover a familiar looking young man standing on his front step. "May I help you?"

The man was as tall as O'Neill, fair skinned, with very short black hair and dark gray eyes that darted nervously around the front yard as if expecting someone or something to show itself. The individual looked nervously at him then back over his shoulder, then in a very broad Russian accent, he replied.

"Colonel O'Neill, I must speak with you, "

He looked at the young man curiously. He looked very familiar, Jack knew he'd seen his file in the group of incoming personnel recently. He was obviously the new member coming in to fill a new vacancy on the Russian team. O'Neill thought a moment. Then he remembered, The Man From UNCLE. "Kuryakin, the new guy on SGC-14. You're the replacement for Blintz."

"I am Sergey Kuryakin. I am member of Stargate-14 team. I am replacing Belenski" The Russian replied, glancing around again. "Please, may I come in? I have information for you to want to hear."

O'Neill looked down at him thoughtfully. "What about?"

"Please, Colonel. I must come in; I do not want to be seen here. It could be bad."

Curious, the Colonel stepped back from the doorway and waved him in. "Kuryakin, I've seen you on the base, at my Incoming Personnel briefing." Jack led him into the living room area and indicated for him to have a seat on the couch.

"I am new come from Belgrade." The man looked around at the living room. Jack noted that he was wearing painfully new blue jeans and a heavy dark green knit sweater. "This is very nice house of you." He appeared to become more nervous as he entered the center of the room.

"Look, Lieutenant, can I help you with something?" This was getting him no where fast, and he was beginning to understand that there was a language problem. He indicated the couch, and the young man sat down carefully. "Would you like a beer or a coke?"

He looked at Jack and tilted his head as if trying to cross translate in his head. "Oh, da, yes please a Coca-Cola."

O'Neill returned to his guest. "Look, why don't I call Daniel? Maybe he can help us; my Russian is rusty at best." He knew that Daniel spoke some sort of Russian, Jack only hoped it was modern enough to work for them here.

Sergey looked after him, quickly rubbing his hand on the soft leather of the divan. "Daniel?"

Jack nodded, "Daniel Jackson. My team member?"

"Daniel Jackson! Oh, da, da. That would be...." The Russian's face lit up, as if Jack had offered to call Brad Pitt or Tom Cruse or maybe Julia Roberts. "That would be magnificent."

"Okay, hold on." Jack chuckled as he nodded. "Stay right there." He crossed to the phone and hit the speed dial.

Within twenty minutes, Daniel's car pulled up into the driveway. He pushed the door in without knocking. Jack met him at the foyer, handed him a cup of coffee and they went into the den where Sergey was waiting.

As the two men entered the room, the young Russian leaped to his feet. Daniel glanced at Jack who shrugged his shoulders. "I didn't do anything to him. We're just having a language thing."

Daniel smiled at Kuryakin, then spoke to him in Russian. Good morning. I'm Daniel.

Good morning, Doctor Jackson. I know who you are, The young man stuttered. I'm honored to meet you and Colonel O'Neill.

Daniel waved him back to the couch. Please, Sit. Jack told me you might have some information for us.

The man sat back down and accepted the second glass of coke that Jack handed him. "Thank you. I hope so, Doctor Jackson." He took a sip of the drink, then continued "I was assigned to the SGC two weeks ago. I arrived on a transport plane that landed in the city. I was brought to the base, Peterson Field. After several days, I was taken to the SCG told that I could communicate with my family.

Daniel looked at Jack who was hovering. "He's only been here two weeks." Jack made an ah face and Daniel nodded for the Russian to continue.

"As I was waiting to use the telephone, I overheard a conversation between a man who was there before me and someone else he was talking to on the phone." He stopped to consider his next phrase. "They were talking about the delivery of a package to Siberia."

Daniel looked at him curiously. "A package?"

Yes, he asked if it had recovered from the drugs. Sergey shrugged. It did not sound correct. the package...recovered from the drugs?

Yes, he was asking if the package was awake yet.

Daniel looked from Sergey to Jack. Jack looked at him. "What?"

"A package was delivered to Siberia, and it had been given drugs." He explained to O'Neill. "Jack, what kind of package do you give drugs too?"

"A very unwilling one." The two men looked back towards the young Russian sitting on Jack's couch.

Sam moved restlessly around the room that she had been brought to. After her escape attempt, they had not returned her to the fake hospital room but to this place. It resembled the VIP Suites at the SCG, consisting of a double bed, a small round table and four wooden chairs, couch, a bookcase with a television set, and some rather outdated magazines and journals. They were in English, at least, and were scientific in nature.

Her contact with her captors so far had been very limited. Her three meals a day were brought in by female guards, only one of which admitted to speaking a little English. Sam had not been ill-treated, just locked in the room and left alone.

Since they had not resumed her drugs, her baby had also apparently returned to her normal active self. Sam could feel her movements and hoped that her child had not suffered any ill effects from her mother's misadventures.

Sam had started a one-way dialogue with her daughter. In the last few days, since her abduction, she had decided on the name Claire Elizabeth Carter-Jackson. She knew that Daniel would like the idea of naming the baby after his mother. She just hoped she'd be able to tell him herself soon.

She knew that her men would be literally turning over every rock and blade of grass looking for her, but she herself had been surprised to discover that she had not only been kidnapped, but also transported to this facility in Russia. She had no idea how the guys would find her here, but she knew they would...she had to keep believing that.

Why she had been taken was another quandary. No one had approached her at all, leaving her to question why she gad been taken in the first place. Was it because of her involvement in the Stargate program, her training and ability as an Astrophysicist, for her security rating as an Air Officer, or for something unrelated? She had no idea. She only knew that she wanted very badly to go home to her team, her job and her life.

The doorknob rattled as keys were applied to its locking mechanism. Sam was surprised to see three people in uniform enter her room.

Daniel was on the phone long distance to Yakutsk, Republic of Sakha, Russia. He'd gone through an American Military telephone operator, a Colorado telephone operator, a California telephone operator, a Moscow telephone operator, then a secret location's telephone operator, and finally to Doctor Markov.

A harried sounding feminine voice picked up the phone and answered in Russian. Doctor Markov.

Doctor Markov. This is Daniel Jackson.

There was dead silence on the other end. Who?

Doctor Daniel Jackson of the SGC. We met two years ago...in Siberia. I was with Samantha Carter.

More silence, then finally an inhaled breath of air. Oh, of course, Doctor Jackson. I'm so sorry, I didn't recognize you speaking Russian.

Oh, sorry. I am a linguist and I thought.....

Of course. I'm sorry... She started to apologize.

Of course, we spoke in English last time. But never mind that, I'm calling about Samantha Carter.

Yes, how is Doctor Carter?

Daniel hesitated a moment, then continued on in English. Actually, that's why I'm calling. She's gone missing.

"What?" That question was asked in English. "What do you mean?"

"Is it a good time for you to talk?"

She obviously picked up on his oblique reference to security, but Markov continued on. "Yes, Doctor Jackson, it is all right. What do you mean about Doctor Carter?"

"She went missing two weeks ago and we have a contact that believes she may have gone to the vacation spot that we visited last year."

"I don't think that the resort is open anymore." She replied. "I haven't been able to get reservations there in quite a while." Markov paused. "Let me check with my travel agent. Perhaps I can suggest something for you."

"That would be wonderful. I would like to ask Colonel Chekov, but I don't know his preferences."

"Oh, I know the Colonel quite well." The woman's voice was reassuring. "He has excellent taste. At least as good as mine." She continued. "Tourism has become very popular here, and I'm sure you would be welcome. But I will see what I can find out for you." A pause. "What is your time frame?"

"As soon as possible, there are some health issues at work here." Daniel thought quickly, this talking in veiled allusions was difficult. "She has a nine month deadline and is at eight all ready."

There was silence on the other end for a moment. "Oh. Very well, then. I shall get back to you quickly. Where can I reach you?"

"At this number," Daniel gave his cell phone number to her. He hoped she got his reference. "Let me know when the reservation is confirmed."

"Of course, I'll be in touch." The phone went dead. Daniel turned around to look at Jack and Sergey. "Well," he grimaced. "Now, we wait."

Several hours later, Daniel's phone rang. It was Markov.

"Doctor Jackson, my friend," She started the conversation casually. "I have good news and bad news. The state facilities did not have your reservation. They claim no knowledge of them. However, there are several smaller groups that could be involved. Groups that are acting on their own cognizance. But if you would care to make arrangements, I can get you an official welcome."

"Thank you, Doctor Markov." Daniel nodded at Jack. "We appreciate your help for this vacation."

"You and your friends are very welcome to come for your vacation. You will be under the auspices of the National Science Institute. This way you can have an official guide for your sightseeing. I, in particular, want to see this issue resolved with plenty of safety margin."

"Thanks again."

"It is not a problem, Daniel. We wish this resolved in a positive way. "

Daniel disconnected the call and looked at O'Neill. "The Russian government says they don't know anything about it, but they are giving us official sanction to come there." The three men looked over at him. "Evidently they have their own internal problems. She hinted at other groups that could be involved." The young man frowned.

"Peachy, just what we need, " Jack commented. "Their own version of NID."

When Samantha Carter heard the door being unlocked and opened, she moved back to sit down on the bed. She felt exposed; no one had seen fit to give her anything else to wear so she was still in her hospital gown. If it was her normal jailer, there wasn't a problem, but the time was wrong. She'd already had her three meals that day.

When the door opened, three men entered her room. One was obviously a guard, wearing a uniform of some kind, stayed by the door. The other two, both in suits, approached her where she sat on the bed. One was smiling; one was not.

Smiley started the conversation in educated English. "Good evening, Samantha, how are you feeling?"

"I'm unhappy, miserable and want to go home. Thanks for asking." She glared at the two of them, looking from one to the other. "Why am I here?"

"I am so sorry to hear that the accommodations are uncomfortable, though I have been informed that you are eating well."

"I'm pregnant, I get hungry." She replied tartly. "Why am I here?"

"My dear Samantha, you are here for several reasons." Smiley pulled up a chair next to the bed. Not-Smiley stood directly behind him with his hands clasped in front. "The first one is that you are carrying a child that, according to our information, could be a Harsesis. Then of course, you were building a stargate in your basement. We would like to have the plans for that." Smiley nodded happily at the very thought of it. "And of course there's all that important National Security and American Air Force information that you will be able to give us."

Carter looked at him and shook her head in amazement. "I don't quite understand why you think that I can or will do any of these things." She frowned. "And what makes you think that my baby is a Harsesis?"

"Come, come now, we know that you were the host of Jolinar of Malkshur and we also know that Colonel O'Neill was implanted with a Goa'uld by Hathor. Your child could still retain the knowledge."

She could only stare at him for a moment. "Colonel O'Neill? What does Colonel O'Neill have to do with anything?"

Smiley smiled knowingly at her. "But who else could be the father of your child? Surely you would not mate with an alien?" Then an idea seemed to occur to him. "Is it Jackson?" When she didn't reply, he clapped his hands together and raised them to in front of his face. "Of course, it must be. He is at least your intellectual equal, and the child will be more valuable than one by O'Neill! It will be a genius! This is perfect. And he has already produced a Harsesis by his first wife. This is marvelous!" Smiley actually clapped his hands in glee.

Sam just stared at him. "No, you're wrong, Daniel didn't father the Harsesis. His father was Apophis. Sha'uri was Ammonet when she had Shi'fu. Sha'uri was only the host, she was raped against her will, and when she had the baby she gave him to Daniel to hide it from them." She shook her head negatively. "You are so wrong, your theories are so incorrect....My baby and I are useless to you. I don't know how to build a Stargate, in my basement or anywhere else and I sure don't know any government secrets that you obviously don't all ready know."

At her denials, Smiley wasn't smiling anymore. "My dear, you underrate yourself and your importance; also you obviously underestimate me." He leaned forward in his chair and put his hands on either side of her on the bed. "Once you give birth, I am sure that you will be much more easily persuaded to help us."

Carter stared back at him, from the few inches that separated them. "I don't see how."

"Don't play coy with me, Samantha." He sat back from her. "I would truly hate to see anything happen to your child." The man glanced down at his wristwatch. Oh, my. Just look at the hour, it's past your bedtime." He stood up and smiled down at her again. "Sweet dreams my dear. I'll come see you again...soon." Smiley nodded and stood up, leaving the chair facing the bed. Non-smiley followed him to the door which the uniform held and followed the two men out of the room. She heard the key in the door again and then all was quiet.

After her visitors had left her room, Sam got up and paced around the small circle that she had made through her furniture. After a few quick turns, Claire moved violently in her mother's womb. Obviously she was just as unhappy here as her mother. Then a cramp hit...and Sam headed back to the bed. She did not need to go into premature labor now, she scolded herself mentally. Calm down already!

As she sat down on the mattress, the weight of the world seemed to settle on her. Where was the Colonel? Where was Daniel? Where was Teal'c? Surely they were looking for her, they must be! But could they find her here, so far away from home, in Russia for crying out loud? Finally, she turned out the light next to her bed, lay down and stared at the ceiling. Only one tear escaped to run down her cheek.

Two days from their hurried departure from Colorado found SG-1 and Sergey Kuryakin hidden in the woods outside of a tall chain link fence surrounding a secret facility deep in the Siberian Mountains. Doctor Markov had been as good as her word. Once General Hammond and Colonel Chekov had been briefed fully, it had taken four phone calls to get the rescue on the road. One to the President of the United States, one to the president of Russia, one to the leader of the Siberian government and one back to Doctor Markov.

The Doctor had met them at the international Airport in Moscow, then escorted them to a Russian military cargo plane that would be their transportation to the area of the suspected facility. A long cold uncomfortable flight later brought them to a very small poorly equipped base in the Siberian Mountains. There they were given a four-wheel drive van and a map to an area where the local government suspected there was a secret facility.

Jack had taken point. He knew that he was the most experienced in this type of combat. The insertion had gone well, the other three men performing admirably, but when it came down to it, he had the most special ops training. In other words, he was the sneakiest one there.

Using the verdant overgrowth of the woods to cover him, he only needed to ascertain when the evening security check was completed. Then, he would signal for his team to begin the stalk and the hunt.

Jack glanced over his shoulder at the three men behind him. He trusted Teal'c and Daniel implicitly. They were there to do one thing and one thing only: the removal of their teammate, his Major, Teal'c's comrade in arms, and the mother of Daniel's child and to get her out of harm's way. They looked ready, like finely honed weapons waiting for him only to target the enemy and loose them into battle. Anyone who got in their way would be disposed of with varying degrees of intensity, dependant completely on the condition of Carter and the child when they were found.

Teal'c sat in repose, in a lotus position, preparing himself by centering and concentrating his physical and mental powers to their highest degree of efficiency. Ferretti had once said in jest that the warrior was O'Neill's First Prime. Actually, it wasn't too far from the truth. At times, the Jaffa could second-guess his team leader, knowing instinctively what the proper course of action was. He could see it and react. This had saved their lives quite a few times in the past.

Teal'c was as protective of his team mates as Jack O'Neill was. He knew that their younger team members were their vulnerabilities, and Jack had no doubt that he would kill for or die for either Carter or Daniel. When Teal'c had been informed of Carter's disappearance, the big man had been both infuriated and inconsolable. She would be found and her abductors would reap either retribution for her suffering or revenge for her death. And Teal'c would be the terrible swift sword that performed the final act on them.

Daniel was also sitting quietly, but where Teal'c's anger was cold and calculating, Daniel's was radiating red-hot fury and smoking rage. There was fear there also, but not for himself. The young man whose life path had been strewn with incredible acts of cruelty by the uncaring fates, was not taking no for an answer this time. Too much loss, his parents, his wife, her child, his ex-girlfriend, and he would not, could not deal with another heartbreak. Carter was more than just a friend to him. She was colleague, sister, lover, and sometime mother. She was also his mental twin, his intellectual equal. She understood him as well as most and better than others. Sam also carried his child, a child conceived of their gentleness, respect, and affection. This daughter of theirs would be the inheritor of not only a great genetic potential, but also the beneficiary of great love from all of her extended family. The child was their future, their hopes and their dreams. If Teal'c was the sword, Daniel was the stiletto, ready willing and perfectly able to be plunged to the hilt into the heart of the ones responsible for this transgression.

O'Neill looked appraisingly at the young soldier. Jack wasn't so sure of Sergey and had wanted to leave him with their vehicle. It wasn't that he didn't trust the man; he just didn't know him. He was Russian after all, the breed that Jack's generation had grown up learning to be wary of. But the young man had risked it all, his reputation, his career, and possibly his life, to bring them the information when he thought his suspicions were enough to warrant investigation.

Before agreeing to bring him along on this mission, Jack had done some checking into his background. Kuryakin was too young to have been in the military during the Communist regime, but he had also admitted that it had been his ambition to serve his country and his people. Kuryakin had been raised in a rural community and had learned hunting and marksmanship at his Grandfather's knee. The old man had been a sniper in World War II and had been very good from his grandson's glowing pride in him. With this training all ready in place, the youngster had risen quickly in the ranks of the Russian Army. When he had been selected to come to the Stargate Program, Hammond had to approve him, so Jack was satisfied with his qualifications.

One thing of interest to Jack was the young man's near hero worship of Daniel. The archaeologist was not usually the sort that attracted military types. He knew that Daniel would befriend him after this fiasco was over, much as Carter had looked after Lieutenant Simmons. But he wasn't jealous of either of either of his teammates...no, not him. HA! As if sensing his thoughts, Daniel looked over at him and smiled.

O'Neill nodded back, acknowledging Daniel's attention. The change of guard was completed. It was now time to see what was down there in that armed fortress.