Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Endeavor Calling

by Sg1niner
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Endeavor Calling

Endeavor Calling

by sg1niner

Summary: Timeline: Present Day. 2 US astronauts and the SGC have some big surprises for one another. Sam/Roger pairing. This Crossover works, too, believe it or not.
Category: Action/Adventure, Crossovers, Romance
Episode Related: Future Story
Crossover: other (not listed)
Season: future Season
Pairing: Sam/other, none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: minor language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-04-06

Summary: (Stargate SG-1/I Dream of Jeannie Crossover) Timeline: Present Day. Two American astronauts and the SGC have some big surprises for one another. Sam/Roger pairing. This Crossover works, too, believe it or not.

Author's Note: I originally wrote this from the SG-1 POV, so I hope the IDoJ fans will get it. I've fiddled with the timelines a bit, so Tony and Roger are about Jack's age (approx. 50.) Reviews are awesome, would love to know what IDoJ fans think!

Chapter One

The two astronauts watched as the remainder of the crew and mission specialists transfered to the recently-completed International Space Station, currently in geo-stationary orbit over North America. The Mission Commander turned to his co-pilot.

"That about wraps that up, let's begin final exit sequence before we park her here."

Working together like a well-oiled machine, the two men went about the procedures of basically "battening down the hatches" before tranfering to the space station as well, leaving the shuttle docked on one of the outer gantries.

As each one checked the other's spacesuit seals, as one final precautionary measure, the shuttle suffered a resounding jolt, and looking out the docking window, the Mission Commander could see the sky spinning madly about. The ship was turning in one direction, and relative to them, they were spinning in the opposite.

"Meteor!" his companion yelled. It wasn't just a meteor, it was a BIG meteor (as compared to most, which are usually almost microscopic.) This was moving with enough relative force to jolt the shuttle away, dangling like a fish floating in the air to the gantry, before the mass of the meteor hitting the shuttle caused it to come loose entirely.

The two men, who had been trained for just such an emergency but had never encountered such, went into automatic adrenalin mode, going through the readings, seeing what they could do to salvage both the shuttle and their lives.

The co-pilot looked at the readings.

"Um... " and he looked at his commander with fear in his eyes. "We're not going to make a clean re-entry. Angle's all wrong, we're going in way too steep. Don't have enough fuel to compensate." He peered intently at another reading. "Right aileron's gone, no attitude control even if we DID get into the atmosphere without burning up." Bad enough that landing the shuttle was like landing a brick with wings, without any external damage!

The Mission Commander peered over his shoulder and got grim confirmation.

"Houston, do you read? Are you picking up what our instruments are reading?"

"Acknowledged, Endeavor. Please stand by, we're calculating any possibilities for you to consider."

The two men looked at each other, resignation in their eyes. They weren't stupid. They knew NASA wasn't going to find a solution. First one, then the other, looked at the space station. So close, but it may as well be a million miles away. The way the shuttle was careening out of control, even if they could go EVA, they didn't have the equipment to risk free-fall travel from the shuttle to the station. As the moments ticked by, they began to feel a sense of calm, of acceptance.

"Endeavor, this is Houston," came the now-subdued voice.

They knew what the verdict was: slowly spiral in, then burn up on re-entry. And they had no way to get help.

"I so wish..." the Mission Commander started... "But I can't. Not any more."

His companion sighed heavily, and shook his head in sad agreement. "How long?"

"I'd say about two hours before we start feeling it, at the current rate we're accelerating. Gaining speed as we get closer to the gravity well."

The 2IC began to shed his spacesuit. No point in wearing it now, and being uncomfortable. He reached into his locker for his usual on-board coveralls, and took out two items, handed one to the Mission Commander. "Our victory dance." Both plucked the cigars from the glass tubes, and did a mock toast, but neither felt like lighting them. May as well not add fuel to the fire, but the symbolism was enough.

Chapter Two

The news of the Endeavor's fate was being fed to the SGC and, indeed, to all military installations. The government wasn't quite ready to make it public, until they could calculate where the shuttle would come down. Crash. No other word for it, O'Neill thought, as he grimly listened to the exchange between space and Earth.

All the travels they did, via the Stargate system, and yet our own space program seemed so primitive, compared to what SG-1 had encountered in the last several years. Yet the vast majority of humankind, indeed the US Air Force and NASA, was unaware of the Stargate program, and space exploration continued on as it had for decades.

Carter turned from the radio they were listening in on, with pleading in her blue eyes.

"General, is there NOTHING we can do? Can we contact Thor, some of the other Asgard, someone who might be in the vicinity? I can try to contact the Tok'ra, see if someone's close enough." She looked downcast though. "I know the chances are very slim they could get here in time."

The only small good thing he could think of in all this, was that they'd deboarded the crew and specialists before it happened. Seven people transfered safely to the spacestation, and the two astronauts were doomed to a fiery fate.

He took the crystal that Thor had given him a long time ago, to use to contact him, and toyed with the idea. Two lives. Thor was often reluctant to interfere in any way with the normal day-to-day activity on Earth. O'Neill was reluctant to use it, not "just" for two lives, but also what it would do to the two men if the Asgard showed up. And he didn't want to use a favor when it might be used for something more important at a later date.

But he couldn't think this way. These were two men, his age, who'd gone through the same rigors he had as a young officer, who'd been trained to work in space. They'd been to the moon even, on the last mission to do so! Not even O'Neill could say he'd been to the MOON, the old fashioned way!

Carter watched him fiddle with the communication crystal. She knew he was running the ramifications through his mind, of contacting the Asgard for two men's lives. She was confident of the conclusion the General would reach. He didn't know these men, but they were fellow Americans, fellow officers. To not help them would be the same as leaving a team mate behind, and she knew he'd never do that. She waited.

He looked up into her blue eyes, then shrugged. "Oh, for crying out loud.." and pressed the button. Nothing seemed to happen, but that didn't surprise them. They knew Asgard technology was way beyond their own. The signal had been sent.

Chapter Three

The two men kicked back in their chairs where they could continue to watch the instrument panels. They weren't quite sure why they were doing it, it wouldn't change the outcome.

The 2IC saw something move out the corner of his eye. Before he even had a chance to yelp in alarm, he and his companion vanished in a brilliant flash of light, and found themselves aboard a large, sleek spacecraft.

"WHAT THE F...!" the Mission Commander stopped himself. This was it, this is the afterlife. Columns, brilliantly polished marble-like floors, carefully disguised instrument panels, designed for both function and aesthetics. He had the feeling he wasn't in Kansas, or Endeavor, any more.

As he and his 2IC reeled for a few seconds, catching their bearings, Thor watched from his command console, with what passed for a smile on his face. He knew they'd turn and discover his presence any second now. He liked these humans, if O'Neill, Carter and Jackson were any example. These two also were military officers for their country they called the United States of America. The insignia indicated one was US Air Force, as were O'Neill and Carter, and one was US Army.

The taller of the two, obviously the commander, finally turned in Thor's direction.

"J..." he blurted, then stopped. He froze like a deer caught in the headlights, as he gazed at Thor and looked into the deep brilliant eyes. Thor still had that slight smile on his face. He'd have a nice conversation with these two humans, before sending them down to O'Neill, and the SGC. The General would want to talk to them, after this necessity of the Asgard revealing themselves to them. But Thor realized that astronauts were in a breed alone of the usual human race. They had more potential in learning extraordinary new concepts, like life in the galaxy.

Thor motioned for them to come closer. The Mission Commander looked at his 2IC, shrugged and said, "Sure, why not? I've seen stranger things than this." His companion nodded agreement. They weren't burning up in a fiery shuttle, so anything was an improvement.

The taller human approached Thor. "Do you speak English?"

"I certainly do. I know all Earth languages, human or otherwise."

"Thanks for saving us. Nice ship you've got here," he said, and began wandering around.

Thor didn't know what to think, after the reaction he'd initially received from O'Neill and his first time aboard ship. This human was taking it all in, not alarmed or surprised in the least. Thor was expecting someone to be borderline hysterical.

"Sir, you seem to have me at a disadvantage. You walk around and observe my ship as though you've been on board a ship like this before."

The two looked and laughed at one another, an inside joke.

He turned to Thor again. "I've had some experience in pretty bizarre things going on in my life before. I thought this was a repeat until I saw you there."

"Were you expecting someone else, then? A Goa'uld? A Tok'ra?" Thor thought maybe someone outside the SGC may have had their own covert program going with some races of the Galaxy.

"I doubt it would hurt anything to explain to YOU," he said. "Allow me to introduce myself and my friend here. I'm Major Anthony Nelson, and this is Major Roger Healey."

They talked in comfortable surroundings for many hours, in one of Thor's inner chambers. He offered them food and drink, and provided soft cushions for their human forms to rest and relax on, after such an ordeal. Major Nelson fascinated him, as O'Neill did. He was so different from O'Neill in many ways, not as high-strung or stern, but it was obvious he was in command of their two-man team. Major Healey defered to him, but in a friendly way. Thor could tell they were not only fellow astronauts on a mission, but close friends too.

The call Thor was expecting finally came.

O'Neill's voice came over the comm. "Thor, buddy? Any word? The shuttle burned up over two hours ago. I didn't want to seem to rush you, but..."

"They are indeed on board my vessel, O'Neill. We have been discussing some fascinating things about your two astronauts and the lives they've led since a most unusual space mission, to your Moon, many years ago."

Silence. Not quite what O'Neill was expecting to hear. "Are they, um... all right? You didn't freak them when you beamed them up?"

Thor couldn't hide the smile in his voice. "They were quite calm about the ordeal, actually, and now I can understand why. Perhaps they can explain it to you."

And before O'Neill could say "Boo" he was in the room with Thor, Nelson and Healey.

The two snapped to attention at the presence of a USAF General. "Sir!" they both barked smartly.

O'Neill looked at them for a few moments. The taller of the two, Nelson, Air Force. Healey, Army. Astronauts. Pilots. So they had much common ground. They at least weren't unfamiliar with space. And although they remained stiffly at attention, O'Neill noted a sparkle in their eyes, almost of amusement, not terror like he'd expect. What have these two been up to? NID? Area 51? Thor said something interesting had happened to them on their mission to and from the Moon.

He couldn't wait to find out.

"Gentlemen, at ease, at ease. I'm not a big one on the whole attention thing, we're among friends here," he smiled, indicating Thor. "Friend." They didn't seem too surprised about someone just popping in from seemingly nowhere. He wanted to know why.

"So, you've given the poop to Thor, now it's my turn. Why is this not freaking you gentlemen out, like it would most people? I know the first time he pulled the 'Beam me up, Scotty' routine on me, I didn't know if I was coming or going!"

Major Nelson smiled at that, and began to explain what had been going on in his life for the last several years. In great detail.

Again, a couple hours later, and many questions later, O'Neill sat back on his own cushion, stunned. He and Thor looked at one another.

"Ancient technology is all I can think, Thor, how else could this young lady do what Nelson is saying?"

"That is what I thought too. She was quite long-lived, after all, and..."

"IS" Nelson sternly corrected. "She IS long-lived. She's out there somewhere, she's missing. She's been gone for months." He couldn't disguise the pain and sadness in his voice. It was quite obvious he loved this woman.

O'Neill's voice lightened up. "I understand, Major. And trust me, there's a realm of possibilities on where she could be. We just want to determine how she did these things you told us, you make it sound like it was magic or something. Let me tell you, it's not. Many eons ago, a race we call the Ancients lived throughout this galaxy, and had some technology that to us Humans looks pretty darned magical. I'm still not used to it all myself. Seeing as she was from the middle east, she may've come upon some of it that the Goa'uld left behind, almost 5,000 years ago. One device they had is called a sarcophagus by us, that can be used to heal and prolong life."

Tony couldn't believe what he was hearing. He began to blush, from the neck up. All these years, and he thought it was some type of super-natural occurrance, unexplained by science. And within hours, this man was telling him, Naw, it was advanced technology, that's all. He looked over at Roger, who had been uncharacteristically quiet the whole time.

"Roger? You okay?"

"You mean, you and I believed... for all those years...and here we're supposed to be logical, analytical, scientists?" Healey was starting to blush himself. Well, what could he think? It LOOKED like what anyone would call magic!

Now the two felt queasy. Not from their ordeal of the day, but from the shattering of a false belief they'd held for years. All it was was technology! But that was irrelevant. Tony loved Jeannie, and Jeannie was missing somewhere.

He stood up. "General, Commander Thor, with all due respect, what is going to happen to Major Healey and me now? Does NASA even know we're still alive? There's no way they can think we safely ejected or something. And I'm not too sure Commander Thor would like us to tell them, Oh, we got beamed aboard his shiny spaceship!"

O'Neill and Healey rose as well. It was time to go back. "Nelson, Healey, your lives just took a very interesting turn. Very interesting. When we get back, I'll notify the President and the necessary personnel, that you two are indeed alive and well, and they can notify any family for you. They are aware of Thor and his people. But needless to say, from now on, all you learn is beyond top secret."

"That shouldn't be a problem, we both have highest security clearance."

O'Neill echoed to them something he'd said many years ago. "Not this high."

Chapter Four

After they bade farewell to Thor, in all courtesy for his kindess and fast response, he beamed them back to the conference room at the SGC. He liked the two. Resilient, determined, Nelson was. Healey seemed to be a bit of a clown, defering to Nelson as he did, but he'd not be an astronaut, Major and belong to the Army Corps of Engineers if he was stupid. Thor suspected he was closer to O'Neill in many ways than Nelson, in that he liked to "play dumb" as O'Neill called it. These two men had just left one life and entered a totally new one.

The conference room was occupied when they beamed in abruptly. Daniel Jackson, Teal'c and Colonel Carter were there, discussing some tablets that had been brought back from their last off-world mission. They suspected Thor would send the men back to this room, and decided to wait.

The three observed the two newcomers. The men were dressed in standard-issue coveralls, comfortable and utilitarian for on-board life on a shuttle. One taller than the other, brunette, blue-eyed, the shorter man with lighter hair and light brown eyes. They quickly turned to get their bearings of the conference room, and relaxed. Ah, typical military conference room. American flag. Water cooler. Familiar ground, not alien at all. Tony's eyes swung toward the picture window, and he froze. He saw the Stargate.

The SG team watched the two men, to catch their reactions. Nelson was fascinated. He was looking at the ring, the glyphs, the chevrons. It looked both ancient and alien at the same time.

"General?" he asked curiously.

"Sit down, gentlemen, we have a lot to share with you now. I'll show you around the SGC, that's Stargate Command, soon. AFTER I call the President, to let him know what's going on."

He remained standing. "Let me introduce you all. This is Major Anthony Nelson, Mission Commander, and this is Major Roger Healey, 2IC. Both experienced in space travel, even having been to the Moon."

He indicated the SG Team. "Dr Daniel Jackson, linguist, archeologist and general nuisance. Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, interrim commander of SG-1," and the two officers saluted her. She returned their salute, a gentle smile on her face to assure them they had no need to worry. "And this is Teal'c, our resident alien, a man who joined us to fight against the Goa'uld, and free his people. He is Jaffa, a race related to Humankind." Teal'c nodded his head to them respectively, but remained quiet.

This was too much for Tony and Roger. Stargate Command? On Earth? In AMERICA? An alien race, related to Humans? Tony remembered what it had been like when he and Jeannie had found one another, all those years ago, and the feeling now was similar. Shattering his paradigm, it was. And he thought he had high security clearance! How long had this been going on?

The debriefing continued for hours, Tony and Roger just soaking it up like sponges. To think earlier that day, they'd been ready to concede and face their deaths with dignity, and now they were snuggled in a mountain in Colorado in the good ol' US of A, learning what had been going on outside their little blue-green world.

Learning about the technology, the languages, the races of people, many of whom descended from Humans kidnapped into slavery. That alone was enough to convince Roger and Tony they wanted to be a part of this. They COULD be a part of this! They were USAF and US Army, after all. The General would be well aware of their qualifications. Plus they had knowledge of Jeannie and what she'd seemed to be doing for so many years.

Jeannie. His throat tightened when he thought of her. Once they got this initial shocking revelation over, he'd get down to the business of locating her, hopefully with the help of SG-1 and O'Neill.

Daniel finally called for a break. "I know you military types face survivalist training and going days without food, but I don't. I'm starving. Let's break for the day. My brain's telling me it's time to shut down."

Carter laughed. He was right. She'd been fascinated hearing about this woman they knew, and about what sounded like Ancient technology she may've acquired in Egypt thousands of years ago. She was itching to get her hands on it, if it could do the "magic" these two claimed it did. They never suspected it could be a ring, a diadem, something on her neck that she could be using.

As they all began to file out of the conference room, Roger fell behind a little, to walk alongside Sam.

"Colonel." he said companionably, with a little sparkle in his eyes.

She knew it, he was a rascal. All this happening in their single day, and he was flirting with her. She couldn't mind, though, she had to admit. To go through all this, and still have the audacity to flirt was a good sign. He and Nelson had bent with the situation, hadn't freaked out and come undone. Had handled it all as good, strong officers should. Accepted it, and were ready to move on to the task of finding this woman and the technology she'd been using.

"Major," she replied with a small smile.

"So, what does one do for fun in Colorado Springs?" he asked.

She couldn't help laughing. "Major! You just came close to a blazing re-entry in an out-of-control craft, got beamed aboard an alien spacecraft, learned there's a top-secret program in the US in which we travel to other planets, and you're being a flirt?"

He gave her his charming smile. "Colonel, after the years Tony and I have had with Jeannie, and to learn it was all a show with fancy gadgets, not much surprises him or me any more. Go with the flow, I say. I'm alive, I'm in America, I'm walking with a lovely and," he made a point of looking, "single woman."

"Who happens to outrank you."

"A mere step in rank. A pittance. I'm an astronaut," and he winked, because he knew he couldn't use THAT line any more, not here! And it was a favorite too, very rarely failed to intrigue a woman.

"That you are. Or were. We'll see what the President says. It's up to him, now. General O'Neill has already expressed an interest in you two joining the SGC in some capacity. Perhaps as liaison with NASA and other top-secret governmental agencies. Now that you've already been aboard Thor's ship, we really can't just send you back to Cocoa Beach and say, Hey, been fun guys, see ya."

"No, I guess you couldn't, could you? But I know Tony's first priority, once the General gets the all-clear, is to work on finding Jeannie." He leaned close to her ear, "He loves her, you know."

She went silent at that for a little bit. "I don't think that will be a problem. Anything to help us get more technology is always a priority for the President, any potential defense against the Goa'uld."

They'd reached the cafeteria. And it was packed.

Daniel turned to them. "Sam, let's go out somewhere, show the two space cowboys here the town."

"Daniel, I wish we could. But they've really got to get checked out in the infirmary, after all they've been through. Then they need rest. I'm sure it's been a trying day for them both."

Tony turned around at this, wondering if they were going to continue into the cafeteria or stand and jaw. He motioned for them to move away from the entrance they were blocking.

"Colonel, with all due respect, today wasn't really all that stressful. No more than any spaceflight. In fact, we were quite fine in Endeavor. Had accepted our fate, we were talking and thinking about lighting a couple of cigars. You guys go off world on an almost daily basis, do you not, then come home, go out to a bar maybe to end the day?"

She had to smile at that. "Yes, but we're trained for this, and..."

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but so are we. Astronauts get probably the most rigorous training of any profession on Earth."

Which Sam knew, of course, having pursued such a path before learning of the Stargate. He made his point.

"Very well, Major, but one requirement we do have is a post-mission checkup. Takes less than an hour. You'll go through that. The infirmary's had a chance to get your medical files sent over by now, shouldn't take too long."

So they reported, as ordered, and the doctor reported to Carter.

"Healthy as horses, both of them, not that I wouldn't expect it, being astronauts. Healthier than most here in the SGC. We should adopt a similar program, the way we go off-world so much."

She waved her thanks to the doctor and hustled the men out of there. "He's always going on about that, even though most here went through Special Ops training, or equivalent. We're the first line of defense if the Goa'uld manage to break through the Gate, so we have to stay in peak shape ourselves."

Roger didn't go so far as to comment on HER shape, he was a rascal but not stupid, but he smiled his appreciation. She understood. He wasn't so flagrant in his overtures as to be insubordinate, so she said nothing. She felt rather flattered, actually, but he wasn't her type. She didn't know what it was, maybe because he didn't seem that smart. She liked smart.

On the other hand, how could he be an astronaut? A stupid astronaut? She'd wait and see. Look over his file. Get an idea of his specialty. Being in the Army Corps of Engineers, as his insignia designated, he probably knew math quite well, engineering, electronics.

As they passed O'Neill's office, she motioned for them to continue on, that she'd meet up with them. She poked her head in the door. "General, we were about to take the Majors out for a post-trauma drink, would you like to join us? Daniel, Teal'c and they are already heading for the surface."

"A drink? After all they've been through?" He was pretty surprised, and started liking these two more. They weren't the soft officer college-boy types he thought they were. All this, and they're going out with Daniel and T.

Sam smiled her understanding. "That's what I thought too, but Major Nelson pointed out an astronaut's training is very rigorous, moreso than our own, and it was really no big deal. They've already been checked out in a post-mission exam, passed just fine Doc said."

He thought a moment, then stood. "Yeah, sounds good. This paperwork can wait one more day. I've got to talk to them more any way, before tomorrow. The President called back, finally got out of that meeting, told me what he wants us to do with these guys."

She raised her eyebrows in curiosity, but he just smiled, "You'll hear."

Chapter Five

They were all at a table in a noisy, boisterous bar, not too rowdy or seedy. The kind of crowd that likes to come by after a 9-to-5 day, and kick back with their buddies before heading home.

"He WHAT?" Tony exclaimed, not believing their good fortune.

"Wants you both to start training, to eventually join an SG team. We're always seeking qualified people, who've already had the training, the security clearance, a strong academic background, great health, and you two have that in spades. Won't take much for you two to catch up on procedure, how to handle yourselves off-world."

He frowned a moment, "BUT, that's contingent first on finding your lady friend, and all that technology she seems to know about, and to use." "General, I don't know how to thank you, thank the President! That's what I want to do too!"

"Then it's settled. SG-1 is on their week off rotation, so they can work with you, let you know what you'll need. When you're ready, you will take your first trip through the Gate," and he winked at his team, trying to make the two Majors nervous.

Roger had to smile, looked at Tony. "With respect, sir, probably not as rocky as a re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere, going a few thousand miles per hour."

"You're right. I finally did that, and it wasn't in a 'primitive' space capsule or shuttle like we use."

"PRIMITIVE?" they both exclaimed, quite offended. They knew the spacecraft they flew intimately.

All four laughed. "Major, you must remember, we've been in the likes of Thor's vessel, that has hyperspace drive, many times the speed of light. I know it might wound your American pride, but in many ways, we really are primitive."

"From what you've said of the Goa'uld, they just use others' things, they don't develop much themselves? Well, we at least got into space on our OWN, didn't we?"

The four looked at each other, like Nelson and Healey had passed an unwritten test. O'Neill knew he liked these guys now. They already hated the Goa'uld.

Teal'c nodded assent. "You are correct, Major Nelson. The Goa'uld use technologies they've found or stolen, especially the technology of the Ancients. For the Tau'ri to have developed on their own is an affront to the Goa'uld."

Nelson snorted. "Good. Their stealing Humans to make into slaves is an affront to me."

"And to me," Roger said, no longer maintaining that casual attitude. His demeanor changed dramatically at the thought of Humans being enslaved in such a way, to serve false gods. Carter was surprised at his vehemence. She'd already written him off as being a buffoon, a clown, but now she looked at him with a new respect. Good, his motivation for doing this is there, not just for finding their lost friend.

O'Neill watched them all as the evening went on, chatting and drinking, getting to know one another. Daniel and Teal'c, Healey and Nelson, and Carter as their commander. They fell into a comfortable routine, after the long hours of debriefing earlier in the day. These two had been through so much in just a 24 hour period, and were ready to embark on the next chapters of their lives as members of the SGC.

Chapter Six

Major Nelson and Major Healey had settled quickly into their temporary quarters at the SGC. They were to be trained to eventually join an SG team, but for now, their main focus, along with SG-1 and General O'Neill, was to locate their friend Jeannie, and the Ancient technology she seemed to know about.

Tony sat on the bed, head in hands, and thought about the last time he'd seen her. They'd been at a park in Cocoa Beach, Florida, having a picnic. Beautiful sunny Spring day, one of the first Saturdays of the month without rain or lightning during this tempestuous time of year. She'd been wearing a lovely sun-dress, with complimentary hat and shoes, always dressed like a lady when they went out in public. He loved strolling along the sidewalk with her, arm-in-arm, showing the world what a lovely lady he had. They made a very handsome couple, and people in the area who knew him, knew he was an astronaut, would smile hello to them as they passed by.

Now she was gone. He'd left to go to the rest-room, returned and no Jeannie. He thought maybe she'd discreetly popped back to the house for something, before packing to go home the 'normal' way, so he began packing what was there. And waited. Waited some more.

After an hour of this, he called her. All he got was the answering machine. He left a message, telling her if she got this, that he was heading home.

He got home, and all that she had, anything that was her's, was gone. No bottle. No woman's stuff in the bathroom. As the years had gone on, she'd begun settling into the household itself, not just using her little bottle, and now he realized it was way more than that, for her 'home.'

This Ancient technology they'd told him and Roger about. He'd told Colonel Carter everything he could think of about Jeannie, her accoutrements, jewelry, hairpiece, bottle, anything that might have been way more than it seemed. Carter jotted it all down. He'd described to her, in great detail, what it all looked like, how she used it. She looked over the list. "None of this sounds immediately familiar to me, but perhaps it will to someone else. I can contact the Tok'ra, see if anyone there recognizes it. And ask Thor, if the General can contact him again. Thor's as fascinated by this woman and her devices as General O'Neill is."

"The Tok'ra, they're the ones who are technically Goa'uld, but in a type of resistance?"

"Yes, they got the name, which means 'against Ra,' because he was the first Goa'uld system lord they fought against. They've since made it their goal to bring down all the system lords and those who'd take their places. My father, General Jacob Carter, became a Tok'ra himself. He was dying, and they needed a new host desperately for one of their oldest and wisest people, Selmak. The two blended, and Selmak healed my father. They've been working covertly with the Tok'ra ever since."

"So they're not all bad guys, then, these Tok'ra are with us."

"Yes, somewhat. They have their own agendas, they are very few in number. Their tactics are more covert, more subtle, more long term than we Humans usually use. General O'Neill's not too sure he trusts them completely, with the exception of my father. But if they can provide us any lead, any starting point at all in finding Jeannie, that'll be a big step. Because right now, we don't have any idea where to begin looking."

She went to her locked cabinet, and brought out the device her father had told her to use whenever she needed to contact him. She sent the message, and returned the device. It could be minutes, hours or days, she never knew. He might be off on a covert op; she didn't always know what was going on with him, as he didn't always know with her. But they saw each other on a fairly regular basis, at least twice a month, when he could 'gate to Earth for a short time.

So the waiting game had started. Tony had decided to take refuge in his cramped quarters, and all he felt like doing now was mope. He played it all over and over in his head.

He was startled to hear a knock at the door. "Come."

Roger Healey came in, in his usual ebullient manner. "Tony, why're you hanging about in here?"

"I asked Colonel Carter if we could break for the rest of the day, all this waiting, and her and Dr. Jackson and Teal'c throwing information at me, I was just overwhelmed."

Healey sat down on the bed beside his best friend. "Yeah, I know what you mean. It's all so amazing, I'm still freaked out. All these years, this going on, and us none the wiser. And we thought we had a time keeping Jeannie secret!" He regretted mentioning her the second he did. That did it.

Tony hung his head down again. "Roger, I don't know how long I can take this. She's been gone for months. No word. No ransom note. No high mucky-muck 'haaji' or whatever the hell used to keep her in line showing up to blast me. Whatever this technology was that she used, they must have taken it from her. I can't see her, after all these years, just up and leaving during a picnic."

Roger put his arm around Tony's shoulder, ducked his head down to face his friend's. "Tony, we're going to find her. With the help of these guys, all the technology they have, their knowledge, we'll find her. I know we will." He said it with such conviction, that Tony turned to his friend and smiled a sad smile.

"Do you honestly think that? Or just saying it?"

"I honestly know that. These guys are awesome, Dr. Jackson has some information about ancient civilizations, both Earth and other planets, that maybe we can research into that. Jeannie has to have come from somewhere. Remember that time we worked so hard to find out her birthday was April 1st? All the research, the footwork into her past?"

Tony smiled at that. "Man, that was like pulling teeth, back then, with the computers and record systems that we had. We had access to the best of the best back then, which now looks like stone knives and bear skins compared to what SGC has. If we could find what we did then, we'll surely find more now!"

Roger could see the determination come back in his friend's face. He remembered that time, it took many days to locate Jeannie's birthday. It was so very important to her to know, to feel a connection with other people who celebrated their birth anniversary once a year. Tony, with his computer expertise, had delved into records most wouldn't have thought of. He'd kept up on computer technology over the years, and with Dr. Jackson's help, might be able to research even more.

"Roger, you're brilliant."

"I am?"

"Yes, we can get that data downloaded here. It might be decades old, but there might be something, some datum, that could give Dr. Jackson and me a starting point. I kept it all on my machine at home, all these years. It was a brilliant bit of detective work, back in the day, if I do say so myself."

With renewed excitement at having something tangible to do to locate her, the two men headed for Dr. Jackson's lab.

Chapter Seven

Daniel Jackson, with Major Nelson hovering over his shoulder, looked at the archived information.

"And you did this research all by yourself? Into her past? Mesopotamia, ancient Egypt, Sumer?" he couldn't disguise the admiration in his voice. "With the computers, if that's what you could call them, of that decade? Amazing."

Tony blushed a little. "That's my specialty, electronics. Especially computers. They were dinosaurs, back then, weren't they? But she so desperately wanted to know her birthdate. I used a variety of tools, checking astronomical information, cultural data, tax records, any census data I could find. Having the clearance I had through NASA, I could get into a lot of information."

Daniel had to chuckle. "I'm glad you didn't delve TOO deeply, if you'd run across anything about Dr. Langford and the Stargate, you may've stumbled into places you didn't belong. I guess they did a great job sealing all the data in the 40's."

Tony pulled a seat up alongside Daniel. "You're the expert now, all I can do is watch and be amazed, Dr. Jackson."

Daniel smiled at that. "Okay, let's see what we've got."

For the next several hours, they pored over the data, both older information from Tony and the information Daniel already had at his disposal. Jackson pulled out some old, dusty books, tablets, anything that could tie in with a common thread.

"Look here, this part," pointing to the screen. "This group of people, this 'tribe' as it were. They started many thousands of years ago in what's now considered Basque country. Migrated over hundreds of years to Egypt via the Strait of Gibraltar, across northern Africa to Egypt. Pre-dynastic period."

He continued drawing his finger across the map of northern Africa, the middle East, western Asia and on to Europe, glancing at his notes every so often as he did so.

"Continued on to the middle east, to Catal Hulyuk and Jericho. Over many thousands of years. Now Indo European migration begins; starting in the regions around the Caspian Sea. The Aryans, the forerunners of many northern European, Indian and Persian peoples, including the Celts." The excitement in his voice couldn't be disguised.

He tapped the screen, "Nelson, do you know what this might mean? If Jeannie is descended from the original Ancients, we might be witnessing the Ancients' moving across the continents, the ones who stayed after Atlantis 'left'! Blending in with the Human population, probably remaining somewhat separate though, not wanting to lose their identity. Like the Rom, the Gypsies."

He grabbed one of his linguistics books. "The Basque! That's where it all began! They're unique in that their language has absolutely no tie with any other Earth language. They've been a mystery to linguists for years. And this might be the key, they're speaking a more modern version of Ancient dialect!"

He suddenly seemed downcast. "This new revelation into the Basque, and I can't tell the world." His love of culture, of archeology, of linguistics battled with the need to maintain the security required in the SGC. He'd hang on to this information, and maybe someday he could tell his fellow scientists. Some day.

In the meantime, they had something to start with. Jackson got Jeannie's own data, where and when she was born. Baghdad. Well, not much chance of being able to go there right now. He'd have to rely on Nelson's information he'd gathered, when there wasn't strife between the two countries, and what he could get off the internet, and his own records.

He plotted out on the computer the trail the people seemed to have taken. It all made sense. Blend in with the Human population, but not TOO much. Keep separate somewhat. Interact with the Humans, but keep within the clan. It was not unheard of in Human history, after all. The people seemed to get along all right with their neighbors, living their lives, making babies, continuing to move, finally ending up in Britain, Ireland and northern Europe. That must be where O'Neill, Sheppard and others got their Ancient genes. Some ancestor digressing from the tribe, or maybe finding likely mates to strengthen the gene pool. Over the course of thousands of years, they'd need the additional genes to keep their numbers from weakening.

If O'Neill was any example, and Sheppard, the Ancients' descendants took great care on who they mated with, outside their tribe, their clan. Strong, intelligent Humans would not sully their heritage. So the Ancients, in their own way, were still on Earth. Some had a high percentage of the genes, like Jeannie apparently, and some had a diluted form, like O'Neill.

"I can't wait to tell Jack about this!" Daniel crowed. He sent the map he'd traced to Jack's email, then stood, stretched, headed for the door. Tony got up to follow him.

"How come?"

"General O'Neill has the Ancient gene. He and others with it can operate Ancient technology, just by thinking it!"

"You're kidding! Is that what Jeannie's been doing, then, she just needs to be touching it, use her mind?"

"Yep," he said as they hustled to the General's office.

Daniel burst in, "Jack! You're not going to believe this!"

O'Neill looked up from the eternal paperwork he was wishing he could ignore. "What's up?"

"Check your email, I just sent you a map of what appears to be the path the Ancients' descendants took, after Atlantis was gone."

"You're kidding!" He switched to his email, opened the document, and saw what Daniel had done. A clear migration, circumnavigating the Mediterranean Sea, to end up in northern Europe. Britain. Ireland. Where O'Neill's own ancestors originated.

"So this is how it happened, how I got the gene?" He loved learning of his heritage, as many Americans did. He was especially proud of his Irish ancestry, and this just added a very interesting bit to his past.

"It looks that way. Jeannie and her people seem to be the most directly descended. They've probably maintained oral tradition for thousands of years, rules to live by in their society, what they can and cannot do with us common Humans." He paused dramatically. "And, from what Tony here says, it sounds like they pass down the tools, the technology, left from the original Ancients. Closely guarded and kept secret from prying outsiders' eyes."

Tony spoke up after the archeologist calmed down a bit. "Jeannie gave me the impression that her family was somewhat important. Perhaps it was her family's task to keep some of these ancient artifacts, and she got hold of them? Took off? Could've been just before she met me."

Daniel summed it up for the General. "Okay, then we know where her people came from. She's a direct descendant of the Ancients. They seem to have many Ancient devices that they pass from generation to generation, some families being deemed worthy of being keepers of same. She was either given some tools, maybe after reaching the age of maturity, or she stole them and left her people."

Tony shook his head. "I can't see Jeannie stealing them, I really can't. She may not have told me a lot about this, but she's a good, honest, sweet person. I suspect she got them, as was her right, and decided to venture out into the world. This persona of being a djinn, a genie, well... she may've adopted that, from the Sumerian culture she grew up in. Use it as a front. I've had a few run-ins with her 'people,' usually older guys checking up on her."

He had to smile at that. Haaji. He was a pip. Tony now realized he may've been an older brother, a cousin, checking on Jeannie, to be sure she was all right in this modern man's world. Nobody had QUITE forced her to return to her people, but he could sense that she wasn't in his life with their blessings. They probably figured she'd get tired of him eventually and return to them. They didn't anticipate her falling in love with him.

O'Neill asked, "Now that we have this data, though, what good does it do us? Will it help any in finding her? We can't really go to Baghdad right now and look her up in the phonebook."

Jackson sighed. "I don't really know. We know a bit more than we did before, but you're right, where's the starting point?"

He was interrupted by the alarms from the Gate room. Incoming wormhole. O'Neill's intercom clicked on. "General, off-world activation!" Walter paused a moment, looking at the display. "Identity verified. It's General Carter, sir."

"Well, let's let him in." They went to the control room to greet Jacob.

Walter opened the iris so the wormhole could establish, and Jacob Carter came through. Jack waved to him from the control room.

"Jacob, always good to see you. We've got a little bit of a mystery here. Come join us in the conference room."

Chapter Eight

O'Neill, Carter, Nelson, Healey and SG-1 had been in the conference room for a couple hours, going over the data Daniel and Tony had merged together about the Ancients' descendants on Earth.

"General O'Neill, this data your people collected may come in useful to the Tok'ra," Selmak said via Jacob. "If we do indeed manage to find this woman, and her people, we may be able to bargain for the technology, perhaps borrow it for a time so we may duplicate it."

"We thought you guys might be interested, yeah, because of the technology. It could benefit both our peoples. The question remains, though, where do we go from here?"

Daniel spoke up, "The first thing to establish is, is she even on Earth? Is there any way she could've left the planet?"

"The only way she could do that, I'm sure, is via the Stargate, and when could she have done that? With nobody the wiser?"

Tony and Roger looked at one another. "If her people knew the Gate was here, they could've easily found a way. She's done some pretty amazing things with this stuff, including gone invisible. A type of cloaking device, apparently. They could've come in with anyone, if they were cloaked." Tony told them.

"And she's been missing for how long?" Selmak asked.

"Four months, fifteen days, to be exact."

Jacob turned to O'Neill, now in control of the talking. "Jack, if we could go over all the planets everyone's been to since that time, we might be able to see if she and someone holding her got through the Gate without anyone's knowledge."

His daughter spoke up, "Dad, that's a great idea! We can check the records for the data of the people going through and rematerializing at the other end. We don't tell the Gate 'This mass is going through the gate' but there IS a record of the mass/energy conversion, from start to finish. If, for example, four people went through, but the record shows a mass/energy conversion higher than it should be, that would indicate extra people going through unseen."

Her father beamed at her, "That sounds perfect, Sam. How long will it take to look? Don't you have quite a few SG teams now?"

"Yes, it'll take some time. I'll have Sgt. Davis upload the relevant data to my lab, and Major Healey and I can go over it." She smiled at Roger, "Major Nelson did his footwork, now it's time you do some." He smiled, "Yes, ma'am!" This should be fun, getting to work with Colonel Carter.

The data comparisons did take time. Tedious time. Check which team went through, how many people? What was their combined mass? Then compare that to the mass/energy conversion data. One team at a time, over four months' worth.

By the time Sam stretched and glanced at the clock, four hours had passed.

"Major! I didn't realize we'd been doing this so long!"

He looked up from his own monitor. They'd divided the data up, so they could go twice as fast. He watched her stretch a second, and looked at the clock too.

"Wow, time flies, you know!" He got up to stretch too. Felt good to move his muscles, he'd been cramped over the keyboard and mouse so long.

"Permission to break for the evening, ma'am?" he asked, with that rascal smile on his face.

"You make me sound like a taskmaster," she laughed. "I don't ever ask my people to do anything I wouldn't do, you know."

He laughed, "I know."

"We can continue tomorrow, first thing, 0800." She got up to leave. "You and Major Nelson are settled into your temporary quarters?"

"Yes, ma'am, temporary until we can get to Cocoa Beach, wrap things up with NASA, get our personal stuff relocated to lovely Colorado Springs. It'll be quite a switch in climates! But it's gorgeous around here, to go from flat hot Florida to mountainous cool Colorado!"

She smiled. "Yes, we do have quite a variety in our country, don't we? One of the many things that makes it so beautiful."

"Speaking of beautiful, I'm sure it's a beautiful sunset up there. I think I'm going to go for some fresh air, after we wrap up here."

Sam began shutting her computer down, as did Roger. "That sounds like a great idea, actually, I could use some air too. Let me see if anyone else wants to join us, I'll meet you at the elevator in ten minutes."

She went around the floor, inviting Daniel, Teal'c, Tony, her father and O'Neill on their little sojourn to the surface. They all agreed it was a wonderful idea, and everyone met at the elevator.

"Nice little party we've got starting here," Jacob said, smiling at his daughter. He covertly watched Healey, as Roger stood almost protectingly near his daughter. He'd had a chance to observe the two newcomers during the conference hours ago, before Sammy and this man went to research the Gate data.

He liked Nelson. Intelligent, enthusiastic, a quick learner.

Healey, though... he was someone to watch. He was such a dichotomy, one second sounding like a playful, mouthy teenager (not quite insubordinate), the next second saying something intelligent and insightful, making the others go "OHHH, we never thought of that!" It rather reminded him of Jack.

Roger seemed to have found Sam's funny bone, because he'd cracked her up a couple times in the conference room with his subtle comments. Jacob liked that at least. It was joy personified to see his girl in such spirits, working on a task, with her friends, solving a puzzle. This was meat and potatoes to her, and Healey seemed to know it. The guy was good at reading people, at least.

He obviously likes her, but is being cautious, her being of higher rank than he. Selmak thought to Jacob. I think I like him. But let us see what the evening brings.

I haven't written him off... yet... but if he gets officially onto an SG team, nothing can happen any way, they'll both be in the same command. Jacob reminded his symbiont.

They all filed into the elevator for the long trip up, laughing, talking amongst themselves. Tony and Roger felt completely at home. They'd accepted them early on, probably due to the almost-disaster with the Endeavor, and the abrupt way they'd come to the SGC. They weren't government intruders, they were fellow officers, who now wanted to help in the defense of Earth, against the Goa'uld. They were all in accord on that.

Chapter Nine

Roger was right, it was a glorious sunset. The air was fresh and breezy, and they all took deep breaths after being in the main body of the SGC for the entire day. They each separated into little groups, talking, strolling casually, the guards at the gate keeping a discrete eye on them, as was their duty. They all walked in the same general direction, not too far apart.

Roger found himself near Sam. "Colonel."

"Major, you had a wonderful idea. This is a great way to end the day! It's gorgeous out!" The setting sun beamed into her blue eyes, lighting them.

Roger couldn't help but gaze into the blue pools for a moment, then shook himself from their magic. Careful, old boy, don't want to be too obvious. Colonel. Major.

They continued to walk together, side by side, occassionally glancing at the others enjoying this little sabbatical. Teal'c and Daniel were walking, discussing something, if Daniel's hand gestures were any indicator. Tony and Jacob were talking, with O'Neill listening in. Probably asking the older man about the Tok'ra, what it felt like to have a symbiont, knowing Tony. He was perpetually curious, wanted to know everything going on around him. Not a bad trait to have, after all. Roger had other things on his mind, though.

He was uncharacteristically quiet. Sam had got to know him and Tony pretty well, since they'd joined the SGC a couple weeks before, after that disastrous event. He usually had something to say.

"So quiet, Major. I didn't know you had it in you."

He smiled. "I don't always run off at the mouth, you know. Seems like it, doesn't it?" He looked around, "I was thinking about how beautiful it is, here in the Rockies."

"Rocky Mountain high, eh?"

He scowled, "Don't tempt me, I might break into song." He cleared his throat, like he was about to start singing.

"Oh, no, that's okay. We hear that song enough here in Colorado!" she laughed. Her laughter drew her father's attention, and she saw his head turn toward her. She smiled in response, and he smiled back, assured all was okay with his daughter.

He stopped and gazed at the wonder of Colorado, the hills, mountains, trees, an eagle off in the distance. Now all I need is a hawk, he thought. It was so different from flat, boring Florida. Sure, he'd lived there for years and years, had got used to the heat, humidity, lightning, hurricanes. But this was home for him, not Colorado, but the mountains, this land, the geology of it.

She watched him look at his surroundings with such intensity. She followed his gaze around. "What are you looking at?"

"Oh, just the general area. You'd look up to the skies, being an astrophysicist. I'm a geologist by training, and I've not seen the mountains in too long. Just taking it all in, becoming friends with the mountains again."

She was shocked. A geologist? Healey? A scientist? She hadn't had a chance to look thoroughly through his file as yet, it was pretty extensive. Most officers had gone to college, and had a specific major. Her's had been Astrophysics, Tony's apparently electronics and mathematics, which went on to computers.

"You? A geologist?" she couldn't hide her incredulous voice.

He was gratified at her response. He knew most people considered him pretty silly, not really serious about too much. When it came to being an astronaut, however, he was deadly serious. And when it came to geology, the land, the mountains, he was enraptured, this was the core of what he loved.

"I was deemed 'Planetary Specialist' on the last moon trip. There to study the lay of the land, the rockfalls, meteor impacts, collect rocks. Study what passes for 'erosion' on the Moon. In addition to geology, of our own planet, I've studied our other planets too."

Now they were delving more into her area of expertise. She'd never imagined he was a planetary specialist, a geologist. She had all sorts of things about our own solar system she wanted to talk to him about. She saw him in a whole new light. He WAS intelligent, just as she suspected. He played it down a lot, like she knew O'Neill did. His face was lit up, talking about HIS subject now, as she knew she got excited when she began talking science with someone who understood.

He began pointing things out to her, of the land, their formations, how the Rockies formed thousands of years ago. "The Rockies are actually quite young, in geological terms. Newer mountains like these, the Olympics in Washington, the Himalayas, they're young chains, they haven't been eroded by rain, wind, time. Some parts of the Appalachians, on the other hand, are the oldest mountains on Earth. Some exposed areas are over a billion years old!"

His excitement was infectious as he told her this. He loved having such an attentive audience, she was genuinely fascinated about learning their surroundings, where she'd worked so long. She enjoyed watching him like this. This was a transformed Roger Healey. He was in his element.

He wasn't aware of it, but Sam was. As he continued his lecture, as it sounded now, the others had slowly gathered around them, listening, fascinated. Tony smiled. He knew how Roger had ached to visit the mountains again, after their ill-fated Endeavor mission. He'd got his wish, but oh, in what a way! Now he was in his environment, in the mountains. Tony let him go on, letting the others realize there was more to Roger Healey than being silly.

As he was going on about intrusions, igneous rock, folding, he realized how he was sounding. Everyone was listening to him. He stopped abruptly, and blushed.

Selmak smiled through Jacob. "Major, please continue, this is fascinating. I didn't know so much about Jacob's world like this."

"Oh, well, I get started, can't shut up, when I talk about geology. Sorry."

O'Neill stepped up, "No need to apologize, Healey. I love this land too, maybe you can join me fishing some day at my cabin, nestled on a little pond in the mountains, right over yonder." And he pointed toward where his cabin was, about ten miles away.

Roger didn't realize how he'd endeared himself to O'Neill. Jack couldn't dislike a man who loved the land like this.

Jacob was in control again. "Did I hear you say you're not only a geologist, but a planetary specialist? You've studied the other planets of our system?"

"Yes, sir, I went on to get my PhD in planetary studies."

"The Tok'ra could use such knowledge when they locate new worlds, to set up base camps, evade the Goa'uld. Perhaps we can arrange for you to join us on some planetary surveys some day. Pending approval from General O'Neill, of course."

"I'd be happy to do that, sir, I'm anxious to get through the Gate and step foot on another world! After all I've learned about what we do at the SGC, the Moon doesn't seem to cut it as a new world."

Jack had to speak up. "Now, don't sell yourself short, Major, a trip to the Moon is nothing to sneeze at."

"I guess so, General." He paused a moment. "Any idea when Tony and I are going to step through the Gate, sir?"

"Soon, Major, soon."

They all began sauntering back to the elevator, not in too much of a hurry. It was 1800 hours. Daniel walked up to Sam, Roger and Tony. "You guys wanna go for a drink?"

Sam looked toward Jacob, seeing if he wanted to join them. He walked back to them. "I can't, kitten, I'm going to go over the data again, that Daniel and Tony put together, see if Selmak might recognize something relevant, anything that might be a clue to where to begin. Jack and I are going to the cafeteria for dinner, then I'm going to get started. He's finishing up the wall of paperwork in his office." Jacob had to smile at that. That was one task, as a General, he did NOT miss!

And she doesn't need Daddy hovering about while Roger's making a play for her, right? Selmak whispered to him.

Jacob stifled a laugh. After Roger's little lecture, Selmak and Jacob had both decided he was worthy of Sam, even if just for a casual thing. He had proven he was brilliant, something Jacob knew was very important to Sam. He wasn't quite sure why he played it down like he did, but he probably had his reasons.

Sam looked at her father curiously, sensing a Jacob/Selmak exchange. "Yes? Selmak?"

Selmak took over. "I was just telling your father, that you younger folks might not want the old man hanging about."

Well, "younger" compared to Selmak, at least. Roger was about O'Neill's age, about ten years older than she. Not too old. In excellent health, obviously, or he'd not be an astronaut. And smart, as she'd suspected. Why did he disguise it so? Did he think women wouldn't want an intelligent guy? That was the very first thing she required in a man. She had to be able to carry on a conversation with him. He'd proven he was as much a science geek as she is!

Not drop-dead gorgeous, but he was pleasant to look at. Always had a smile ready, his eyes sparkling often at humor most did not see.

Sam knew that look from her father, that tone. Damn him. Between Jacob and Selmak, it was hard to hide anything from them. She knew he knew that her estimation of Roger had gone up considerably.

"Are we just going to stand around and jaw, or get to going?" Daniel demanded, as he headed for their cars.
"I'll drive myself and Major Healey, we'll meet ya there."

Chapter Ten

The evening ended amicably. Daniel was going to drive Teal'c back to the SGC, and offered Roger a lift.

Sam piped in, "Oh, I was going to drive Major Healey."

Daniel gave her an odd look. "Um... okay. I'm heading that way, bringing Teal'c back. It's no trouble, you know."

She glanced at Roger, then back to Daniel. She gave him a look that he understood. "I wanted to talk to him about his specialty, about our solar system. I've had a couple of ideas I've wanted to bat around, and he might be the one to ask. About Jupiter. Arthur C. Clarke posited once, that..."

Before she could go on, Daniel stopped her. "Okay, okay, I give. How you can go on like that, 24/7, Sam, is beyond me!"

She laughed, "And do you ever stop thinking about YOUR specialties? Given the slightest opportunity to discuss it with someone who understands?"

He had to admit she had a point. "Granted. Okay, you two go into your solar systemese technobabble, we're going back to base."

The two men loaded into Daniel's car and took off. Sam began wandering to the little stream that passed by the restaurant, with a paved walkway alongside it. Roger slowly followed.

They walked that way for a bit, in silence, lost in their own thoughts. Sam was wondering how she'd broach this.

"DOCTOR Healey... about those questions, about Jupiter."

"Yes, DOCTOR Carter?"

"How much do you know about Jupiter, DOCTOR Healey?"

"About as much as anyone, DOCTOR Carter."

How long was this going to go on? He smiled to himself. She's trying to separate the fact we're Colonel and Major. Right now we're a couple of eggheads talking about something that fascinates us. Maybe we can forget we're both in the military, just for the evening.

She stopped, looked him in the eyes. "I've got this idea, something Arthur C. Clarke said, about Jupiter, and..."

He looked at her. He wasn't much taller than she. Her words were going in one ear, and out the other.

"Dr. Carter... Samantha... is that really what you wanted to discuss?" He knew he was being bold, calling her by name. They weren't TECHNICALLY in the same Command, not yet. He and Tony were on detached duty, still officially assigned to NASA. This might be their only chance, before it was considered fraternization. Or maybe it wouldn't be fraternization. He was in the US Army, after all, the Corps of Engineers. She was Air Force all the way. Something to check the regs about... eventually. He had this evening on his mind.

She looked into his light brown eyes. That smile, that perpetual spark, was there, as usual. He had such joie de vie, like Tony did. They were both curious about the whole SGC, the Stargate. The look on their eyes when they'd seen their first established wormhole was memorable.

"Major... Roger... not really. Just wanted some time alone with you," she said, ducking her head a bit in shyness. "You intrigue me. You seem to go out of your way to play down being smart, and I don't get that. I've never ever done the 'dumb blonde' routine. Don't have patience for women who do. Why do you do that?"

"Oh, I don't know, habit I think. I find that if I start going on about stuff I know, in a typical crowd of people, their eyes start glazing over and I've lost them. When I'm doing my NASA duties, usually with Tony, he and I can talk that way, we have such a rapport with one another, I don't have to be someone I'm not."

"You don't have to be with me, either, I like the brilliant Roger Healey a lot more. But don't stop making me laugh."

"No danger of that happening. I'm glad I can make you laugh. Many women I've been with just didn't get my sense of humor. Not as smart as you, I guess," and he winked. He put his arm out for her to take, and she slipped her's through, snuggling up to his shoulder. She liked they were almost the same height.

They walked that way for a bit, and she stopped and yawned. "I think we might consider getting back. We've gotta be in the lab at 0800, remember?"

He sighed. "Yes, I remember. Didn't want this evening to end so soon. Guess you'd better bring me back to the SGC."

"We could go to my place, have a coffee before we do, wake up a bit. I need to get out of these work clothes any way."

So they ended up in Sam's living room, sipping espresso. She'd changed into comfortable jeans, sneakers and an old USAF sweatshirt. Very relaxed.

"Wish I'd thought to change before we left!" he said, when she emerged from her room, ready to face the rest of the evening with renewed vigor.

"Wait, I might have something, something one of the guys might've left here after a barbecue or something." She went to her laundry room, rummaged around in a hamper of clean clothes. Found a pair of shorts, and a t-shirt.

"Try these, I think they're Daniel's, they'll fit you!" She tossed them at him.

"GREAT! It'll feel great to get out of this!" He changed in the bathroom, carefully hanging his uniform up to prevent wrinkles. He looked in the mirror, checked his breath. Pinched a little toothpaste to rub on his teeth, freshen his mouth.

This is different, Roger old boy, this isn't your usual chasing-after-the-ladies routine, you enjoyed for so many years. With not nearly enough success.

He'd established something different with Samantha Carter. She was something entirely special and different from the women he used to slobber after. Secretaries, clerks, etc... not Colonels! Astrophysicists! They were just a dalliance, but this... he wasn't sure what this was going to be.

He had to get her talking.

"So, Dr. Carter, this question about Jupiter?" He sat down next to her, both turned to face one another on the couch.

"Yes, Dr. Healey. Jupiter. This theory of Clarke's..." and she started expounding on a theory of Sir Arthur C. Clarke and Jupiter, and the moons of Jupiter. This went on for a few minutes, Roger only partly listening to her. She was very animated, having someone who'd actually KNOW if her idea, her hypothesis, was valid or not. He should've been paying attention, because her hypothesis sounded fascinating, but all he could do was gaze into her blue eyes.

She paused a moment. "Roger, you're not hearing a word I'm saying, are you?"

He leaned toward her ever so slightly. "No, Samantha, I'm not. I've been looking at those gorgeous eyes of yours."

She blushed, moved in a little too. "And I've been watching that mouth of yours" she said, and brought her own mouth to his.

He kissed her very gently, delicately touching her partly opened mouth, reveling in her closeness. This was so different, a part of his mind screamed! No words could describe it.

He put his arms around her shoulders, drew her closer in, and so they continued for a time, kissing, nibbling, holding one another. It was beyond ecstasy. Just holding, kissing. Sam finally took the initiative and pulled back.

"Whew."

"Whew?" Roger asked.

"Yes, whew. You're a mystery, Roger Healey. This facade you put up, I am slowly but surely making it crumble away, right?"

He laughed, eyes sparkling, "I'll never tell, you'll have to torture the REAL Roger Healey out of me! Muwahahahahahaha" and he started tickling her, playing the villain, and she fell back, screaming with delight

"Don't! Stop! Don't! Stop!" she screamed, playing along. He kept the tickling up, and as she continued her screams, it turned to "Don't stop! Don't stop! Muwahahahahahaha!" she echoed back to him, peals of laughter coming from her still, as she collapsed back onto the couch, exhausted from her glee.

He carefully lay down beside her, both squeezed in together, propped her head up on his arm, as a pillow for her. They were very close again, flushed from their play, and he again kissed her, not so gently this time. The play had fired them up, and they were all hands, arms and lips, legs twining together.

Sam was on fire, his kisses going along her jawline, down her neck, to the curve of her shoulder and back again. She was amazed. She thought she could read people, but she'd totally misread Roger Healey from the beginning. She knew there had to be more, and now she was learning. Hit the right button, the right trigger, and he really acted like himself. She'd hit that button tonight, listening to him talk about the mountains, the scenery.

And he was enflamed for her. Showing her another aspect she'd never suspected. The passion emanating from him, the fire, the desire, it was overwhelming. She gave herself up to it, to him. He was firmly in control, something else that startled yet pleased her. He placed his free hand on her hip, ran it along the length of back to hip to thigh and back again, as his mouth continued to explore hers.

"Roger..." she sighed, as he nibbled on the tender curve of her neck.

"Samantha..." he answered.

"We.. we can't..." she began.

He paused, lifted his head from her neck, looked her in the eyes. "I know, Samantha, I know. Too soon. That'd be too fast. This right here is enough for now."

She saw his understanding. Didn't want to rush anything, if this was going to mean something later. She'd already decided she didn't want just casual play with this man. She wasn't lying when she'd said he fascinated her.

"Would it be unseemly for us to fall asleep where we're laying, Colonel?"

"Not at all, Major."

And so they did, wrapped in each other's arms.

To Be Continued.

In Part III, Tony and Roger go offworld for the first time. Roger's planetary expertise is put to the test when they go to the planet they suspect Jeannie and her abductor went to.

I know I made up Roger's specialty. Being in the Army Corps of Engineers, and fitting in with the story, I decided to make him a Planetary Specialist. I think it works.

Clarke's Hypothesis that Sam wanted to discuss is this: Sir Arthur posits that the center of Jupiter would be a giant diamond. Carbon would of course be the heaviest element on this gaseous planet, and would migrate to the core of the planet. The intense heat and pressure would make the carbon take the form of diamond. He incorporates this idea into his novel "2061."

Disclaimer: 'Stargate SG-1' and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. 'I Dream of Jeannie' and all indicia are Copyrighted trademarks of Sony Pictures Entertainment and Columbia Pictures Television. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to sg1niner