Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Unseen, The

by Katmellie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Unseen

The Unseen

by Katmellie

Summary: Sam and Jack meet much younger, Sam fancies Jack's younger brother but later on in life, when they meet back up again, Sam begins to fall for Jack.
Category: Romance
Episode Related: 218 Holiday, 316 Urgo, 317 A Hundred Days
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/01/04

Title: The Unseen Author: Katmellie (StargateLover69) Email: Katmellie@AOL.com (StargateLover69@Yahoo.co.uk) Category: Parallel Universe, Romance Spoilers: Holiday, Urgo and Edora. Season: Season Two Summary: Sam and Jack meet much younger, Sam fancies Jack's younger brother but later on in life, when they meet back up again, Sam begins to fall for Jack. Disclaimer: All publicity recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not no monetary purposes and no infringements on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyright to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author. Website:

********************************************************************************************

Sam was sat in the living room, working hard at her homework that had to be in by next Tuesday. She would probably have it done in seconds, but she always tried her best at anything she did, including easy math problems. Her head bobbed now and then in time with the music, she had playing away in the background. Turning the page she was writing on over, her father came into the room, unfastening his tie.

"Sam, could you make a list of all the drinks, we'll need for the party?" Jacob said tying his tie in front of the grand mirror, hanging over the fireplace.

Sighing to herself, she lifted up her folder and pulled out a piece of paper from underneath it. Sam held it up to him as he turned round, folding down his collar. He took the piece of paper, scanning down it as Sam began to do her homework again. Flicking to a certain page in the text book, she was working out of, her father stooped down to kiss her on the cheek and whisper a thank you.

Rolling her eyes, she said. "The house is sorted for the party tomorrow. All the jobs have been done, dad."

"Yeah, okay." Jacob said wandering around the couch. "There's two more guests that need to be invited to the party. The older brother, just got transferred here."

Sam grumbled to herself as her father left the room. "More Air Force idiots."

********************************************************************************************

Hefting another box to another room, Jack grumbled about having to move again as he put the box down, onto the floor of the dining room. He ambled back into the living room, passing his brother sat on the stairs, sorting through a box that should have been taken up stairs hours ago. With a shake of his head, Jack turned the corner into the living room, opening the box with books that would be going on the bookshelf.

There was a knock on the front door, Jack waited with a book posed on the shelf, seeing if his brother would get it or if he would have to get. When there wasn't the sound of the door opening, Jack dropped the books in his hand, back into the box as there was another knock at the door. Sighing, Jack looked at his brother helplessly as he yanked opened the front door.

An Airman stood on the other side of the door, dressed smartly in his dress blues. The young man saluted Jack, as he held out an envelope to Jack. Jack snapped a salute to the man about the same senior as himself, and took the letter from him. The man went down the garden path and jumped into the awaiting jeep. Jack shut the door behind him, finding his brother hovering over him as he ripped opened the letter.

"What you got there, Jack?" Dave asked, spying down on the invitation over Jack's shoulder. Jack held it out for him to take and then went back into the living room, to carry on with unpacking the books.

Dave shuffled his way from the front door into the living room, sitting down onto the back of the couch. "You going to go this Colonel's party?"

"I better go, meet the Colonel and that. Get to know some of the faces around the base." Jack answered, stacking the books into size order.

"I'm going too." Dave said, stuffing the envelope and invitation into the back pocket of Jack's jeans. "Might be some girls there."

Jack grabbed hold of Dave's shoulder before he could disappeared out of his sight. "You can only come, if you promise to behave yourself. There's going to be some real important people there and I don't need you, to be showing me up in front of them. Promise me, you'll behave?"

"Sure, Jack. Of course I will." Dave promised, making Jack feel unnerved.

********************************************************************************************

Sam was becoming quite bored, talking to her friends that she had invited to keep her sane, during her father's party. They were talking about something that had happened at school, but Sam wasn't that interested, watching the other people mingling about the room. There was a chorused of laughter, coming from the kitchen and dining room, when the doorbell rang. Sam excused herself to greet them, watching someone let two men into the house.

A Lieutenant took their coats upstairs to place into her room, while Sam stood there, taken back with the man before her. Finding her manners, she extended her hand to the other man.

"Hiya, welcome to the party. I'm Samantha Carter, Sam for short. I'm Colonel Carter's daughter." She said, shaking the older man's hand and then the younger man's hand.

The taller man said. "I'm Captain Jack O'Neill. This `ere, is my brother David O'Neill."

"Hi." Dave said to her, earning a look from Jack. Sam smiled at Dave as Jack unbuttoned his dress jacket. "You wouldn't know where your father would be, would ya Sam?"

"Huh?" Sam said, coming out of her daze. "Oh yeah, he'll probably be in the kitchen. Look for the balding man, who's telling the bad jokes." Jack thank her with a nod of his head and began excusing himself through the blue sea. Opening her mouth to say something to Dave, she closed it when he put his hands on her shoulders, moving her aside. Sam looked on as Dave went over to talk with her friends.

Dropping her head down, she moved through the people in the entrance hall and sat down onto the stairs, holding her head up with her hands. She observed him from the stairs, but didn't notice the older brother, standing in the archway to the dining room, spying on her.

********************************************************************************************

A few weeks later, Jack returned home after completing the basic training for that day. Sauntering up to his front door, he opened the door and abandoned his bag to just inside the doorway, hearing people talking as they watched the TV. Jack yawned rubbing a hand over his face, closing the door behind him. Snooping at the sight in the living room, he saw Dave and Sam doing their homework as they watched the cartoons on the TV, well... Dave watching the cartoons as Sam did his homework.

Jack shook his head, displeased with the way his younger brother was treating Sam. He entered the kitchen and made himself a coffee, taking a cookie out of the cookie jar to nibble on. Stirring his coffee, he ambled his way back down the hallway and into the living room, surprising the other two as he sat down into his chair in the corner.

"Hey, Jack." Dave said from his slouched position on the couch, with Sam on the floor in front of the coffee table, working her little brain away.

Jack sipped at his coffee and put it on the little table beside his chair. "I thought, when someone was given homework, they did it themselves instead of getting other people to do it."

Sam looked up from the book, she was reading, and glanced at Jack before turning to look at Dave, when he said. "She offered. I've got a killer headache."

"It's quite alright, Captain." Sam said, making him inwardly laugh at how she only called him `Captain'. "I don't mind."

"Well I do, Sam. You've got your own homework to do." He said lifting his foot up to untie his boot. "Dave, get on with your homework. I don't mind if Sam helps you, but you've got to at least have ago at it yourself. Otherwise, you won't learn anything and end up like me." Dave grumbled as he slipped off the couch to sit beside Sam, on the floor. She began to talk him through what she'd been doing, while Jack put his boots to the side and relaxed in his chair.

Jack pondered about ringing Sara up, he hadn't spoken to her in a few days. But he wasn't sure if she was back from her parents yet. Scratching at his head, Jack took a long drink of his coffee, promising himself that he would call Sara later. He missed her. Jack sighed watching Sam for a moment, wondering if she'd ever been out with an older man. Reaching for his mug again, he stopped with his fingertips touching the handle. When the hell had he started thinking thoughts, like that, about Sam?

He decided he needed a cold shower, putting a stop to his musing before it got out of hand. "I'm gonna go take a shower. When I come back, I want to see the work you've done Dave. And don't try palming Sam's handwriting off as yours, cause I know your hand writing. Sam's is more neater than yours."

Jack heard Sam giggled, taunting Dave as he left the room. He paused on the stairs, smiling at the sound of her giggle. Reprimanding himself, he jogged up the stairs and jumped into a cold shower.

********************************************************************************************

Sam ran as fast as her legs would carry her, hugging the papers in her arms tightly against her chest while she ran, saying goodbyes to her friends at the bus stop, wanting to get to Dave's as soon as possible. He hadn't been at school that day, so she had taken it upon herself to get him the work, giving her a reason to pop by his house. Racing over the front lawn of his house, she noted the lawnmower on the front and the t-shirt hanging over the handlebar of it. Her mind race with a fantasy of Dave topless, as he swooped her into his arms and told her he was in love with her.

Knocking on the front door, she twiddled with her hair and shifted, waiting patiently for him to open the door. There were footsteps approaching the door whilst she put on her best smile. The door opened and her smiling face turned into a face of utter disappointment, coming face to face with a topless Jack, blowing through a hole on the engine part in his hand. She gave him the once over, thinking that if Dave's brother was that masculine than maybe Dave, was even better looking without his top on.

Jack smiled when he realised, it was her at the door, missing the quick change in her face as she hid her disappointment. "Hey, Sam."

"Hi." Sam said, looking over his shoulder into the house. "Is Dave here? I've got the work he missed at school today. Hope he's okay, if he's ill."

"Dave wasn't at school today? The little... I wondered why he was back so early today." Jack said unhappily. "Ah well... No, he's not here. He went round one of his new girlfriend's houses and probably won't be back till late."

Sam looked down at the work in her arms, and thought about the work in her backpack. "Dave was suppose to do this work with me. We're working on a history project together for class."

Jack chewed at the inside of his mouth, looking into the living room and then looked Sam up and down. Rubbing at his forehead, Jack fiddled with the engine part in his hands, with a moment of silence falling over both of them. He scratched at the back of his neck, deciding to end the awkward silence.

"Ya know, you can work on it `ere, if you want?" He offered. "I heard your dad was off in Washington for the day, so you can stay here if you don't want to go back home, and wait for your dad to get back here. Then when Dave comes home, you can have ago at him after I have, for letting you do all the work."

Sam smiled uncomfortable, nodding her head at him. Opening the door wider, Jack let her into the house and took the work from her, to even out her load. She pulled her arm out one of the straps of her backpack, heading on into the living room with Jack following behind her.

"I've gotta go out in a bit and pick my girlfriend, Sara, up from the bus station. Will you be alright, if I leave you here for a few hours?" Jack questioned, putting the pile of papers down onto the coffee. "I won't be long."

Sam nodded her head, unpacking her bag onto the coffee table. "Sure. Don't mind me, I know my way around."

Jack smiled at her genuinely, leaving her to do her homework as he went back out, to reattach the part in his hands onto the mower and got on with cutting the grass till he had to pick Sara up.

********************************************************************************************

Jack was barbecuing happily in the back garden, flipping over the streaks and chicken that he had cooking on the grill. Glancing round to the laughter, coming out of the house, as Sara and Dave came out of the back door, Jack wonder if Sam was going to come round. He'd asked Dave to invite her, but he wasn't sure if his younger brother had done it. Sara put the pot of sauce down next to the grill, kissing Jack on the cheek before she went back to joking around with Dave.

Wiping the moist feel of lips away from his cheek, Jack dipped his sauce brush into the sauce and began to plaster the chicken with the sauce, when the back gate creaked opened. He looked round balancing his brush on the edge of the sauce pot, brightening up when he saw Sam come round the corner of the house. She was dressed in a short t-shirt, showing just a little bit of her stomach, and wore a scraggy old pair of combat trousers, with the bottoms cut off up to where the first pocket started. To Jack, she looked amazing.

He noticed how upset she looked, cleaning his hands on the tea towel draped over his shoulder. "Hey, Sam. What's wrong?"

Sara and Dave turned round on the picnic table, noticing Sam for the first time. "Nothing!"

"That didn't sound like nothing to me." Jack said, scrutinizing Sam as she sat down on the other side of the picnic table. "Come on, what's wrong?"

Sam sat with her elbows pinned onto the table, holding her head up as she said. "My dad got a transferred. We're gonna be moving to another base next week."

Jack held a hand subconsciously over his heart, feeling the dagger be shoved in and twisted. Sara was saying something to Sam, reassuring her that it wouldn't be long before she could move out and get a place of her, so she wouldn't have to move about so much. Though he loved Sara, he wished she'd shut up. She had no idea what it was like to move about bases, making friends to then lose them.

Picking something up from the table, Jack said. "I'm sorry to hear that, Sam. I wished you the best in the new base, you'll be leaving on. Hopefully, sometime in the future, our paths will cross again."

He walked away, hearing Sara say that was very unusual for him to say. Putting the basket of bread onto the table beside the grill, Jack cursed Dave as he just said goodbye to Sam and walked off into the house, to get something else to eat. The girl had been doing his homework for the past three months, she'd been round their house more often than Sara had, and all Dave could say to her was goodbye. Jack smacked his fish slice down on top of the streaks, angrily flipping the food over.

Sara went off into the house when Dave called for her help. Taking the chance to glance over his shoulder at her, Jack saw the hurt on her face, watching Sara make her way into the house. Sam glanced over at him and all he could do, was shrug his shoulders at her. Sam clambered out of her seat, at the picnic table and ran off, slamming the back gate opened. Jack quickly put the fish slice down and gave chase, appearing out of the back gate, as Sam ran across the road and down the street. He shook his head down at the ground as the others called to him.

Heading back round the house to the garden, Dave popped up out of nowhere. "She gone?"

"Yeah." Jack said glumly.

"God, I'm glad she's moving. She's been ruining my style." Dave commented, patting Jack on his back while Jack thought about, hitting his brother squarely on the jaw.

********************************************************************************************

Years Later

Sam sat waiting outside in the corridor, for her interview with General Hammond, hearing people hustling and bustling about the place, moving equipment through the corridors as they sorted the place out for permanent use. When the door was opening she stood up, putting her hat and briefing dossier under her arm, standing to attention for the Major, who was coming out to tell her to go on inside. Clearing her throat, Sam went inside nervous, even though the interview was with a dear friend of her fathers. She closed the door after her and stood to attention in front of his desk.

General Hammond was sorting through the papers on his desk, he motioned for her to sit down, as he dumped a file onto the pile on the floor beside his desk. He smiled warmly at her, opening up her crisp file that was conversably thicker than the last, that had been on his desk. Sam sat down into the chair behind her, piling her hat and briefing dossier on her lap.

"Captain Carter, you are fully aware of what the position you are applying for, will entail you to do?" The General asked, shifting through the papers in her file. "You'll be putting your life in danger everyday. Going out into the unknown and such, which will mean you won't have much of a life outside of the SGC."

"Sir," Sam began. "I am well aware of what this position will entail. I want the chance to do something worth doing, and I believe that I have been ready for this position my whole life. I've read up on all reports filed, from the first mission through the gate and the recent mission, that was sent through the gate."

The General closed her file. "Good, because I wouldn't want anyone else, leading my second team. Not that there's any favouritism persuading my decision." Sam grinned at the General. "But well, we need some of your distinction. So welcome aboard, Captain Carter. You are now the official commander of SG-2."

They stood up to shake hands when the door behind her burst open. Two men came in arguing to one another. They ignored her and stood in front of the General's desk, complaining about one another to the General. Sam was taken back from seeing him. Age hadn't been cruel to him at all.

"Sir," Jack said. "Permission to kick Dr Jackson's butt, back through the gate?"

The man with glasses on, said. "Jack, don't be stupid. I just want you to consider it. Please Jack. All I want is for you to read up on some things!"

Jack turned to Daniel, catching sight of Sam through the corner of his eye. "Daniel, reading... and... me, don't go... together."

The General took that as his cue to introduce her. "Colonel Jack O'Neill, Doctor Daniel Jackson, I would like you to meet the new commander of SG-2. Captain Samantha Carter."

Jack held out his hand to her and they shook hands. "You've grown into a beautiful woman, Sam."

"Thanks, sir." Sam said, smiling at him warmly. "You don't look too bad yourself. Looks like old age suits you."

"Hey, I'll have you know that I'm only forty three. I'm not that old yet." Jack said in mock angry. Sam gazed from Jack to Daniel, wondering how long Jack was going to stand there and stare at her. With a tap on the shoulder from Daniel, Jack shook his daze away and looked from Sam to Daniel.

"Oh, right." Jack stuttered. "Doctor Daniel Jackson, this is Samantha Carter."

"Captain Samantha Carter." Sam filled in as she took Daniel's hand.

Daniel rolled his eyes, saying. "You two know each other or something?"

Jack glimpsed at Sam before grabbing Daniel by his arm, dragging him out of the room and closed the door behind them, as he answered Daniel question. Sam chuckled at the closed door, turning back round to face the General. The General raised his eyebrows, watching the comedic sight go through into the Briefing room, pushing and shoving each other, through the other door into the corridor.

Holding his hand out again to Sam, Sam took his hand and boldly shook it like her dad had shown her. "Welcome aboard, Captain."

Sam smiled wondering if Jack was there, then maybe Dave lived nearby somewhere.

********************************************************************************************

Propping himself up the wall outside of the General's office, after ditching Daniel at the elevator, Jack lingered for Sam to come out of his office. He still couldn't get over how beautiful she looked and that she was there. The door opened, as he was flattening his hair down, she was nodding her head to General Hammond, coming out into the corridor to close the door behind her. Jack remained cool and collect to the outside world, staying leaned up the wall as she turned to face him.

She smiled at him, making his heart jump a beat. Gesturing for them to walk down the corridor together, Jack walked side by side with Sam, as he said. "You wanna get some coffee or something in the mess hall, and catch up?"

"Sure, that be good." Sam said, turning the corner with him.

"It's so good to see you again." Jack sincerely said. "I can't believe you're actually here."

She smiled down at the floor, moving out the way of an Airman coming down the corridor opposite to them. "Jack, do you remember that time, when Dave wanted to borrow one of the jeeps, and me and him snuck into one of the hangers, and you caught us in there? I feel just like I did back then."

"Yeah!" Jack took sometime to think about it, as the memory came back to him, going down the corridor to the elevator. "It was so funny. You were shaking so much, as I told you both off and to go somewhere else before you go caught. I was doing it for your own good."

They came to stop outside the elevator, Sam pressed the call button saying. "Yeah, well... I was scared of you, that's why I was shaking so much."

Jack bowed his head down to the floor, the doors to the elevator and Sam stepped inside, waiting for Jack to get in with her. Looking up at her, he keep his sorrow down in his gut, gesturing about with his hands. Sam watched him, slowly frowning at his strange behaviour.

"I've... forgotten to do something." Jack said, backing up away from the elevator doors. "I'll caught up with you later."

"Sure." Sam said, pressing a button on the panel. Jack turned away, pulling at his skin as he wandered down the corridor, not able to comprehend that she was afraid of him. He went through his memories, trying to see if he'd given her reason to be afraid of him.

********************************************************************************************

Sitting in the commissary, with his fellow team members, Jack scooped up a spoonful of fruit loops, glancing at each face of his team-mates. Kawalsky was chewing continuously on whatever he'd shoved into his mouth, reading the sports pages of the newspaper, Daniel had brought that morning and Charlie had stole it when Daniel went to get his breakfast. Daniel was picking at his food as he read through the MALP readings, for the planet they were gating to later that day. Teal'c, dissecting his food, was unsure of what Jack had chosen for his breakfast.

Jack engulfed the spoonful of fruit loops, as Sam came into the mess hall, waving to her team who were sitting on the other side of the room. She was oblivious to his prying eyes, selecting her breakfast from the serving area and joined her team. Jack shovelled up another spoonful of cereal, as a piece of toast was thrown at him, from across the table. Glaring at the culprit, Jack ate another spoonful of fruit loops, as Kawalsky smiled at him.

"O'Neill, were you not staring at the commander of SG-2?" Teal'c inquired, pushing his plate away. Jack looked down at his remaining fruit loops, ignoring the question and the people surrounding him at the table.

"Ah..." Kawalsky started. "Look at the Colonel, he's in love."

Daniel nudged Jack in his ribs. "Go on Jack. Get over there you tiger you."

Kawalsky laughed, saying. "Yeah, go jump her bones. You know, you're dieing too."

"Jacky boy's in love." Daniel said, finally breaking Jack's restraint. Collecting his coffee, he left the table and his half eaten breakfast behind, leaving the commissary all together. Jack sipped at his coffee, as he came to stand in front of the elevator, stabbing at the call button. A few minutes passed and the doors opened, he stepped inside and pressed the floor button for his office. When the doors were closing, he heard someone shout for the elevator to hold. Holding in the button to open the doors, Sam slipped through the gap and let the elevator get back to its thing.

Sam breathe out a heavy side, wiping down the front of her uniform, as she smiled at Jack. He smiled back saying. "How're things?"

"I'm good thanks. Adjusting to leading, but I'm doing well so General Hammond says." Sam answered. "How're you? Heard from Dave lately?"

He was inwardly pained when she asked about his brother, putting it to the side, he said. "Yeah, I did. He's doing fine and so am I. He's actually coming to my house this Sunday, to meet my team and that. You... wanna come?"

"Dave's gonna be there?" She asked making sure he was, Jack nodded his head. "Okay then. I'll be there." The doors opened, Jack tottered his way out of the elevator, with his hand firmly implanted into his pocket and his coffee held close to his chest. His heart was being squashed under her boot, as she crossed over the elevator to press her desired button, with the doors closing. Jack dropped his head down, strolling his way to his office with his heart, dragging along the floor behind him.

********************************************************************************************

Sam strode up the garden path, fiddling with her dress, as she stepped up onto the porch, she could hear smothered music playing on the other side of the door. Knocking on the door, there were a few shouts and then a stampede of feet, whizzing past the door before someone opened it. She smiled at Daniel as he let her in, offering her a beer as she came inside Jack's house. Mouthing a thank you to Daniel, she took a long needed sip of the beer, quenching down her butterflies in her stomach. Nervous about seeing Dave after so long.

Daniel took a few steps down the corridor, leading off to various doors. "Jack! Sam's here!"

"Okay!" A distant voice called, from one of the rooms down the corridor. Daniel smiled at her before drifting off into the kitchen, complaining at someone for eating something. Inspecting the things hanging up on the walls and on display, as one of the doors opened and shut.

Sam looked round to Jack; he was fastening the buttons up on his shirt, smiling at Sam as he came down the corridor. "Did you have any trouble getting here?"

"No, it was quite easy. Thanks for asking." Sam said following Jack, heading out onto the back porch. She saw Dave lying on the grass, there was a woman beside him, playing with his hair. The butterflies in her stomach fluttered, as Jack and her descended down the steps to the garden, crossing over to his brother. Dave and the woman looked round to them, as they approached, Dave smiled up at Jack but he frowned when he saw Sam.

"Hi, Dave." Sam greeted him to receive a confused look.

Jack grumbled something to himself that she couldn't hear, and then said. "Dave, it's Sam. You know, the Sam who did most of your homework and that."

"Oh!" Dave said making no move to get up. "Hiya, how you been?"

"Good, thanks." Sam answered, sitting down onto the grass. Jack went back up into the house while Sam and Dave caught up. Now and then, Sam heard some loud cursing coming from the house.

********************************************************************************************

Washing up the dirty dishes, Jack constantly watched every hand gestured and every innocent touch, that Sam and Dave made as they chatted on the porch, in full view for him to see from the kitchen window. He was grumbling under his breath, placing another dish on the drying rack, sitting on top of the draining board. Behind him, Daniel and Kawalsky come in, throwing empty cans and bottles into the trash.

Kawalsky tapped Daniel on the shoulder and motioned towards Jack. Jack stacked another plate onto the drying rack, starting to dry his hands on the towel sat on the kitchen top, next to the sink.

"Jack, you have it so bad for her!" Daniel stated, leaning up against a cupboard.

Jack threw the towel at Daniel's head, spinning round to go to the kitchen table, and delved into cooler that had been sat outside till Teal'c had brought it in earlier. "I have not. I've known her since she was seventeen, and I still think of her as that."

"Yeah, and I'm Harrison Ford." Kawalsky said jokily. Daniel laughed at Kawalsky, when Sam came in from the garden, ending the call on her cell phone. She looked about the house and spotted them in the kitchen. Jack twisted the lid off his beer, tossing it to the trash, as Sam came into the room.

"I'm sorry, sir. I've got to go, just got a call from the base." Sam explained to them, causing Jack to become concern for her.

"Okay, Sam." Jack said, putting his beer down on the table. "I'll walk you to your car."

She shook her head at him, taking some steps back out of the kitchen. "No, no. You're okay. I don't want to interrupt your little get together. I'll see you guys whenever I see you."

Quickly Sam left while Jack was taunted by Daniel and Kawalsky. Dave came in from outside, spying around the living room, as if looking for someone. He ambled into the kitchen, as Jack shoved Daniel, grinning at Daniel's child like behaviour.

"That woman has turned out so fine." Dave said, slapping his hand on Jack's shoulder. "Sam has certainly become hot!"

Jack scowled at Dave, turning to face him. "Dave, you wouldn't have a chance in hell with her. You only see women as objects and not what's in their heads."

Dave laughed at him. "Oh yeah! You don't deserve a chance with her, `cause you destroyed your family."

Jack hit him before he even thought about it. He was about to lay into Dave some more, when Daniel and Kawalsky restrained Jack, pulling him back from Dave as he wiped at his lip.

"Jack, I'm so sorry!" Dave apologised. "I wasn't thinking. It just come out before I'd even thought about it!"

"You should start thinking before that mouth of yours, gets you into more trouble than you can handle!" Jack shouted. "Get out of my house!" Dave got up from the floor, calling his girlfriend from the back garden. Apologising again to Jack, Dave and his girlfriend left. Teal'c came in from outside and asked Daniel and Kawalsky what had happened, as Jack threw his beer across the room, smashing it against the wall.

********************************************************************************************

Sam fingered the plaster on her forehead, turning the corner into Daniel's lab, finding him perched over an artefact, as he read one of his books. Smiling at him, she moved quietly into his lab, creeping up on him from behind. She pinched his sides, making him jump out of his seat, throwing his book up into the air and screamed out in surprise. Daniel turned round with his mouth open, to say something, but closed his mouth seeing it was her.

"Hey, Sam." Daniel said to her, sitting back down onto his stool, as Sam giggled at him. "What can I do for you?"

"I came by to see if you wanted some lunch." Sam informed him. "Janet finally let me out today, wanted to have some good company while I ate my first meal, after being let out."

Daniel chuckled, capping his pen. "You sound like Jack. You both make it sound like a prison in there."

Sam rolled her eyes waiting for him, as Daniel closed things down or put them into stand by, and put his artefact safely locked away, into his desk draw. Motioning for her to lead the way, they left his office and headed down the corridor to the elevator. Daniel was mulling over something, as he swiped his card in the reader and then pushed the button for the elevator. This amused Sam, seeing Daniel thinking about something in such depth.

The doors to the elevator opened, a technician came out before they stepped inside together. Daniel leaned across and slowly pushed the button for the mess hall level, pulling back away the control panel in time with the doors.

"Sam, what do you think about Jack?" Daniel asked, shoving his hands into his pockets, pretending that he hadn't even asked the question.

Thinking about it, Sam went over all the times in past, when it had been just her and Jack, and the times when he'd been there with her and Dave. She remembered times when Jack would see her walking home and would pull over, offering her a lift home. He'd been kind to her, when he'd needn't have been. Inviting her to come places with him, letting her stay at his house, when her dad was out of town. Jack had been a good friend to her in the past, and she hadn't realised it till then.

The elevator jolted to a stop, as Sam replied to his question. "He's a good friend. Why?"

"Nothing." Daniel said, moving out of the elevator, missing the people that squeezed in past him. Sam was hot on his tail, following him into the mess hall. They both got themselves some lunch and sat down at a table together. Sam bit into her sandwich, staring at Daniel across the table.

Picking a piece of lettuce, out of sandwich that didn't look nice, Sam said. "Daniel, why'd you ask me what I thought about Jack?"

"Well you see," Daniel started, putting his fork down onto his plate. "After you left the barbeque on Sunday, Dave came in and said something about you. Jack told him that he wouldn't have a chance in hell with you, then Dave said something to Jack and Jack hit him. I can't be sure, if it was about you or if it was something else. But I don't think Dave was really that interest in you, apart from... your body."

"Oh..." Sam uttered, Daniel carried on. "Jack was defending you by the way."

"Jack was defending who from who?" Jack questioned, as he sat down beside Sam at their table. Sam swallowed hard, getting up out of her seat. Excusing herself from the table, she left hearing Jack ask if she was alright.

********************************************************************************************

Jack hummed to himself, travelling down the corridor to Sam's lab. Smiling at people as they passed him, he went round the corner into Sam's lab, finding her knelt down on the floor, welding at something that he didn't want to know about. He looked about her lab, trying to see if there was anything that he could use to get her attention. Shielding his eyes from the sparks, coming from the welding torch, when she moved to another spot, Jack shook his head, moving out of the spray of sparks.

"Sam!" He shouted. "SAM!"

The welding torch was turned off before she lifted her goggles from over her eyes, wiping fiercely at her tears, turning round to face him. "Sorry, got carried away."

Jack looked at her concern, touching her on her shoulder. "You alright?"

"Fine." She said bluntly. "What did you want, sir?"

Shoving his hands into his pocket, Jack rocked back and forward on his feet, saying. "I popped by to collect your monthly team assessment report."

Sam put the welding torch down on top of the object she'd been welding, clambering over things to get to her workstation, and collected a folder from her In-tray before climbing her way back to him. He smiled, as she offered him the file.

As he took hold of the file, he found that she wasn't letting go of it, when she asked him. "How could I, have been so stupid, to think Dave liked me?"

Sighing, Jack managed to take the folder from her and put it down on the cabernet behind him, before persuading her to sit down, onto the edge of the object she'd been welding. Carefully he sat down beside her, putting his arm around her shoulders.

"You weren't stupid to think that, Sam. It's stupid of Dave, not to see what I see in you." Jack said, wiping her tears away with the sleeve of his shirt. "He doesn't know, that he's missing out on something special."

"Really?" Sam queried.

Jack nodded his head, getting up off the object to pick up the file he'd come in for, off the top of the cabernet. "Yeah, of course. Ask anyone, and they'll tell you it's true."

She nodded her head, as Jack said. "Hey, I wouldn't get upset over Dave. All O'Neill men are stupid in their own little way. Take me, I can't even do..." Jack gestured around her lab. "Any of the stuff that you can do. All that... complicated stuff with numbers."

Sam laughed at him, standing up off the object to pick her welding torch up again. Tapping the file against his leg, Jack left her to get back to work, seeing there were no more tears in sight for her that day.

********************************************************************************************

A Year and Months Later

Sitting in the commissary, with Janet and Daniel opposite, Sam was reading through the memo's that had been dropped into her In-tray that morning, as she ate her breakfast, listening to Janet and Daniel talk. She heard the doors flap open and looked up, catching sight of Jack, who saw her too and gave her a little wave with his hand. Returning his friendly wave, Sam wondered where he'd been last night. Their two teams had grown close over time and had began to hang out together, and do a lot of things together. They were supposed to have met up, at their local hang out, but Jack hadn't turned up which had had a few of them speculating where he was.

Kawalsky had said it was because of this secret woman, Sam hadn't liked the thought of that. She'd spent the whole night, asking anyone who was from the SGC, who'd come in the bar last night, if they had seen the Colonel around the base at all. None of them had seen him. Daniel had told her, at one point in the night, that Jack had rung and said he'd gotten caught in traffic, on his way back from somewhere. It had been a big sigh of relief to hear that.

Sam watched Jack get a coffee from the counter, he sipped it waving at her again and went back out of the doors. Sitting there, her lip curled up as she wondered if she could go with him, make sure he got back to his office okay. She stabbed at her pancakes, pausing when she realised what was wrong with her. For weeks, she had found herself thinking about Jack, more and more. Worrying about him, when his team had been swapping bodies around. They'd recalled her from a mission, to come back and sort the problem out. It had been quite alarming for her to be confronted by Teal'c, who was Jack at the time.

Shaking her head, she dropped her fork to clatter against her plate, as she slouched down in her seat, running her fingers through her hair. Daniel and Janet stopped their conversation, gazing across the table at her.

"What's wrong?" Daniel asked worried, glancing to Janet and then around the room, trying to see what had upset Sam from her breakfast.

"I've been so blind." Sam admitted, covering her face with her hands.

Janet rolled her eyes, picking up a slice of toast off her plate. "It's alright, Daniel. She's just finally realised what everyone's known for sometime."

Sam glared, at her best friend, across the table and then said. "I think I'm falling for Jack."

Daniel's head dropped onto the table with an almighty thud.

********************************************************************************************

Jack sat in his office, contemplating his grey bits, with Kawalsky talking down the phone to him while Jack threw his ball up against the wall in front of him, catching it every time on the rebound. Agreeing with something with a grunt, Jack wondered if Sam minded his hair greying or whether she didn't notice it.

He turned to his desk catching his ball one last time, placing it onto his table, as Kawalsky asked him. "Do you want me to talk to her? Ya know, ask her out for you?"

"Kawalsky, that's so childish. If I thought asking her out would work, you don't think I would have done it already." Jack said into the phone, as there was a knock on the door before Daniel came into the room. "I'll talk to you later, Kawalsky."

Putting phone down into its cradle, Daniel came to stand before Jack's desk, rolling Jack's ball side to side. "Hey Jack. Sam sent me to ask you, if you wanted to come to her birthday party this Friday night?"

"Her birthday isn't till next month." Jack informed Daniel, taking his ball away from Daniel to put into his desk draw

"Yeah, I know. But Sam's just got her mission roster for next month, and she'll be away on a mission for two weeks, when its her birthday." Daniel sat down in the seat behind him.

"Bummer." Jack said, getting his organiser out of his desk and flicked through it. "Is it alright, if I bring someone along?"

Jack missed the displeasured look on Daniel's face, at hearing Jack ask that question. Looking up from his planner, after finding Dave's new phone number, Jack looked at Daniel expectantly for his answer. Daniel sighed to himself, getting up out of his chair, taking his glasses off to clean on the edge of his shirt.

"Sure, bring whoever you want." Daniel said on his way to the door. "Starts at seven."

"Okay, see ya later." Jack said, as he dialled Dave's number into his phone, placing the phone against his ear, listening to rings after rings.

After about the sixth ring, Dave answered out of breath. "Hello?"

"Dave, its Jack." Jack said, ignoring the female voice in the background. "I've just been invited to Sam's birthday party, d'ya wanna come with?"

"Sure, she's hot. When is it?" Dave asked with the female voice telling him, she was leaving.

"Its this Friday. Meet me at my house at six, and I'll drive you over there." Jack said, feeling that he didn't want to go to Sam's party anymore, knowing his brother would have something in mind, now that he'd invited him along.

********************************************************************************************

Sam stood at her office window, looking out over her front garden that was lit with little lanterns, lighting the way up to her front door. She was biting her nails, tormented that Jack wasn't there yet and it was already half past eight. She wanted to know the very minute he turned down her street, so she could start to get control over her butterflies. Cassie was telling Kawalsky and Teal'c, about the hockey game Jack had taken her to, a few weeks ago. Turning round to listen to Cassie, Sam smiled at Cassie as she retold her story. She'd heard it before, but she wasn't tired of hearing.

All of a sudden, there was a knock at the door, Cassie rushed off to answer the front door. Following quickly behind her, Sam watched Cassie fling herself into Jack's arms as he came inside, followed by Dave. Sam chuckled at the sight of Jack and Cassie, thinking how father and daughter they looked, as Jack swung the young girl around in a circle and then put her down.

Sam smiled at Jack, as he approached her; she was pleasantly surprised when he drew her into a hug and kissed her on the cheek, wishing her happy birthday for three weeks time. Laughing, she took his present graciously as he stepped aside. Dave shyly approached her, offering the present in his hand to her.

"Hi Sam." Dave said. "Happy birthday for three weeks. Sorry, to hear you'll be out of the country on military business. That's gotta suck."

"Yeah." Sam mumbled, taking his present, her eyes glued to Jack.

Jack gently pushed Dave aside, patting Sam on her shoulder. "I'm sorry, Sam. But I can't stay for long. General Hammond called me before I left the house, he wants some paperwork that I forgot to hand in the other day. And as always, I haven't quite finished it. So I better hit the road, but have a good time. You can surely do that without me."

He kissed her again on the cheek and left, shutting the door behind him. Sam stood blankly staring at the door, hoping he was joking and would come back. Looking down at the presents in her arms, she then looked up to see Dave open his mouth to say something, but she walked away, putting his present the side, and carried Jack's into her office with her. The party was in full swing in the other room, as Daniel squeezed out of the crowded room, standing beside Kawalsky.

"Was that Jack just now?" Daniel asked the room, looking suspiciously at Dave stood in the archway.

Sam gestured towards the window. "Yeah, he just left. He said the General rung him and wants some paperwork off him, that he hasn't done yet."

Kawalsky and Daniel shared a look, as Kawalsky put his beer down on the bookshelf, and then excused himself towards the door. Grabbing his coat on his way out of the door.

********************************************************************************************

Jack sat on his observation deck, looking through his telescope at the stars above, as he thought about Sam on the other side of town. He looked away from the eye piece of the telescope, to type some coordinates into his laptop before looking back into the telescope. Leaving Dave at the party, Jack had thought to be the best thing. There was no way, she would want him to be there, if Dave was there. Dave had always been the ladies favourite. She wouldn't want him anyway; there was the difference in age, the incompatibility and just the fact that she didn't want him.

Hearing an engine pull up into his drive, Jack glanced over the banister of the observation deck, seeing Kawalsky's jeep parked behind his pick up. Below, he heard someone begin their short climb up the ladder, coming to join him up top. He dug into the cooler with the beer in, opening one of the beers to offer to Kawalsky when he made it to the top. Kawalsky took it from him, watching Jack as he put his laptop into stand by mode.

Kawalsky knelt down beside Jack, meeting him eye level. "Why ain't you at Sam's party? She really wanted you to come, you know?"

"Yeah, she wanted me to come, so I would bring Dave with me." Jack sneered, twisting the lid off his beer, to fling the cap off into the darkness of the night. "And I left because she doesn't want me, in the way that I want her. She's never wanted me and she never will. She wants Dave and that's fine with me, as long as she's happy."

Kawalsky patted Jack on his shoulder, sitting down onto the deck to stretch his legs out. "You've got it bad, man."

********************************************************************************************

Few Days Later

Sam struggled with the artefact she was carrying, as she walked into Daniel's lab, placing it down onto his desk while Daniel sat back into his seat. Daniel got out of his seat, inspecting the artefact whilst Sam rubbed at her arms, thinking that she should go work out at the gym more often. Wandering off to one of his bookshelves, Daniel plucked out a book from the shelve, flicking it through it, as he came back to stand in front of the artefact.

Massaging her arm, Sam looked thoughtfully at Daniel, knowing if she wanted to know what was wrong with Jack, she could either talk to Daniel, Teal'c or Kawalsky. "Daniel?"

"Hmm...?" Daniel mumbled, his mind somewhere else.

"What's wrong with Jack?" Sam said. "He's been avoiding me all morning like plague."

Daniel put his book down on the table, leaning down onto it with his elbows. "He's just tired and cranky from our last mission. He didn't quite like Urgo. Got on his nerves and Kawalsky's too." Daniel said, flipping the page over. "Just ignore him till he comes to you."

"Okay, so I'm not to worry about his behaviour?" Daniel nodded his head. "All right then. Did he manage to get that paperwork in, the General had wanted him to do, that he had to do instead of coming to my party? I haven't heard any shouting coming from his office recently."

Daniel stood up, looking at her. "What paperwork? There wasn't paperwork due in, Jack had made sure he'd done all his paperwork, the morning of your party." Daniel touched Sam's shoulder, seeing the confusion. "You see, when Kawalsky left your party, he went over to Jack's to see what was wrong. Jack told Kawalsky, that you didn't really want him there. You only wanted him to come, so he could bring Dave with him. And that you would never want him, in the way that he wants you."

Sam gazed down at the artefact, taking it all in. Rubbing his hand over her back, Daniel smiled at her encouragingly, angling his head to see her eyes. She stood up straight, touching him on his arm.

"Where's Jack right now?" She requested.

Daniel thought about it and then said. "He should be in our team locker room. Him and Kawalsky are going to check up on SG-8's, mineral survey of Edora. If you hurry, you should catch him before he goes."

Sam ran out of his lab, pushing personnel out of her way, running for her life to their team locker room.

********************************************************************************************

Fastening his jacket into place, Jack looked up when the door burst open with Sam coming through, panting for breath as she waved her finger at him. He just stood there, looking at her intently; the door closed behind her, closing out the noise from the busy corridor. She leaned back against the door; Jack failed to notice her lock the door, keeping the room just to them.

Jack reached into his alcove for his vest, saying. "What up, Sam? What can I help you with?"

"Have you been blind lately or summit?" She accused, coming to stand in front of him, as he shrugged on his vest over the top of his jacket. "Or haven't you notice, how much time we've been spending together lately?"

Clipping his vest across his chest, he tightened the ties at his sides and proceeded to fastened and tighten his sidearm holster to his thigh. "If I was blind, the Air Force wouldn't have accepted my application form, when I joined up."

Sam snapped at him. "Stop being sarcastic!" She stepped over the bench, shoving him backwards towards his alcove. "I'm feeling feelings for you! Not you're damn brother! My feelings have changed!"

Holding his head in his hands, Jack moved passed her to sit down onto the bench. "I thought you were in love with Dave? It's always been David that you've wanted. Not me."

"Not anymore." She said, knelling down in front of him, cupping his face to lure him into a kiss. As they captured each other lips, Jack hauled her up towards him, binding her into his arms.

They fell backwards over the bench, the kiss becoming more promising as time went on. Sam reached between them to unclip his vest, when someone knocked on the door, calling to Jack. They stopped, looking towards the door and then at each other. Jack stroke his finger down her forehead, running a line down her cheek to her jaw, cupping her face with his hand.

Kissing once more, Kawalsky banged on the door, shouting through the door. "JACK!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN THERE?"

Breaking apart, Sam rolled off the top of him as he said. "We're gonna have to talk more when I get back."

"Yeah." Sam said, trying to get to her feet, finding her limbs were not cooperating with her. Gradually Jack got to his feet, stumbling sideways away from the safety of bench until he was able to get his balance.

"JACK!! COME ON!!!" Kawalsky called through the door impatiently.

"BE THERE IN A MINUTE!!!" Jack shouted, helping Sam to her feet.

Crossing over to the door, Jack unlocked and opened the door wide. Kawalsky opened his mouth to say something, but he choked on his words, as he watched Sam slipped out of the room, disappearing off down the corridor. Jack swallowed hard, closing the locker room door. Kawalsky pointed to Sam's retreating form and then at Jack.

"Don't say a work, Charlie." Jack commanded.

********************************************************************************************

Months Later

Sam stood waiting patiently in the Control room, anxious to see Jack and Kawalsky after they'd been trapped on Edora for months. She'd nearly given up hope at one point, till she'd come up with the idea for a particle accelerator. Days and nights, she'd worked on it, wanting him back home. Whenever she had slept, she'd dreamt about their kiss in the locker room, longing to feel his lips devouring hers again. She'd been there when Teal'c had gone through, wishing him luck in finding Jack and Kawalsky alive and well. He'd told her, he wouldn't come back without them.

The `gate finally engaged and Sam found herself, jumping from one foot to the other. Daniel clamped his hands down onto her shoulders, keeping her still as they received a GDO signal. Sam squeaked with excitement, as the iris opened. Teal'c came through first followed by Kawalsky, who knelt down and began to kiss the ramp. A few minutes passed before Jack came through, his vest and jacket slung over his shoulder with his cap on in place.

He searched the Gate room below and then up into the Control room, smiling when his eyes fixed onto her. Waving at her, Jack gestured for her to him in the corridor while he hurried down the ramp, shoving his things into someone's arms. Kawalsky and Teal'c followed behind Jack while Sam rushed out of the Control room with Daniel behind her. As soon as her feet had touched the floor of the corridor, she found herself engulfed into someone's arms. She grabbed anything that belong to Jack, hanging onto it as he swung them side to side.

"Well at least he'll now shut up about her." Kawalsky said, passing them in the corridor.

Teal'c cocked his eyebrow. "Major Kawalsky, won't we now have the problem of conversing with them both, as they are now back together?"

Kawalsky stopped in the corridor and cursed, turning back round to the hugging couple, he grabbed hold of Jack and began to drag him down the corridor. "Come on, Jack. Lets go get showered and have a beer. She can wait till later. Think about your friends needs. Think about my needs."

Jack had a strong hold on Sam's arms, towing her down the corridor with them. "I've missed you so much."

"I missed you too." Sam said, matching their pace, so she wasn't being pulled down the corridor anymore.

Reaching the elevator, the three of them stood there with Teal'c and Daniel, slowly catching up with them. Kawalsky turned to Sam and Jack, finding the two staring into each others eyes.

"Sam," Kawalsky said ,gaining half her attention. "You might like to know, that Jacky boy `ere, had some woman flirting with him. The whole time we were on Edora."

"He what?" Sam exclaimed.

Jack shrugged it away. "She was nothing special. Just the leader of their people. Nothing compared to you."

Sam glowered at Jack, when the elevator doors opened. "Yes...?"

Entering the elevator together, Sam knew that something special was about to begin. Something she had dreamt about all her life and now had found that man, who'd haunted her in dreams.

********************************************************************************************

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katmellie