AND WE'RE WALKING! by HailDorothy
Summary: Jack's holding Sam and he's so not letting go!
Categories: Jack/Sam Characters: None
Episode Related: None
Genres: Angst
Holiday: None
Season: None
Warnings: None
Crossovers: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 139851 Read: 9621 Published: 2005.02.01 Updated: 2005.02.01

1. AND WE'RE WALKING! by HailDorothy

2. Chosen Heart Series - Part 1of 16 - FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS! by HailDorothy

3. Chosen Heart Series - Part 2 - Crap! So Not Going Fishing! by HailDorothy

4. Chosen Heart Series - Part 3&4 - FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS by HailDorothy

5. Chosen Heart Series - Part 5 - Tangent Hearts by HailDorothy

6. Chosen Heart Series - Part 6 - Conflict Of The Heart by HailDorothy

7. Chosen Heart Series - Part 6+ - Wishes Of The Heart by HailDorothy

8. Chosen Heart Series - Part 8 - Breathe by HailDorothy

9. Chosen Heart Series - Part 9+ - Let Her Fly by HailDorothy

AND WE'RE WALKING! by HailDorothy
AND WE'RE WALKING!

AND WE'RE WALKING!

by HailDorothy

Summary: Jack's holding Sam and he's so not letting go!
Category: Angst, Romance
Episode Related: 819 Moebius
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, none
Rating: FAM
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-02-01

Title: And We're Holding! Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Category: angst/romance Warning: Only if you don't like ship Rating: FAM Season: 8 Spoilers: Itsy, bitsy, teeny, weenie bit of Moebius Pairing: J/S Archive: Heliopolis, SamandJack, GateWorld, Jackfic.com - My site: emeraldrose.net File Size: 28 KB Summary: Jack holds Sam and he's so not letting go! Author's Note: Just a projection of what hopefully might happen. Beta Thanks to: Carol Sue who makes good writing shine. Dedicated to Arnise: Hope it makes you smile, Mum!

Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters and situations of this story are the property of said author. HailDorothy (c) 01/31/05

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please??? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

~*~

'And we're holding!'

Yep, you're holding onto the woman you love more than life, more than you have a right to love anyone, especially your subordinate. Screw the regs! It feels good! Even better it's right!

You nuzzle the soft warm juncture of her bare neck and tell yourself, it's been too fricking long since she's been in your arms. And that you'd almost forgotten how it felt to have her long-legged, sensuous curves molded to your battle-hardened body. But you haven't forgotten. If anything this embrace confirms what you've always known, that your two bodies were created for each other.

Yeah.

Two days in this stinking, flee-bitten cell and she still smells of vanilla and strawberries. If given half the chance, you'd discover that the rest of her smells just as intoxicating. Despite the dry arid heat, you relish the feminine warmth of her skin through your sweat-drenched clothes. You feel the quickening of her heart while she clings to you as if you're the air she breathes. Her fingertips bite painfully into your shoulder blades. You don't give a rat's ass. That discomfort relays her desperation and reminds you how alive you are. And how dead you were without her.

You love her passionately, madly, completely without restraint! And for the first time in years you have no doubt about how she feels. Carter loves you! So don't mess this up-again. Don't lose her! Don't leave without telling her!

The tremor of a sob quakes her chest and shatters your tough Irish heart. She's your undoing. Always has been. You sense her struggle. She believes crying is a sign of weakness. You've never thought that about her. If anything, her tears are an extension of her humanity and generous caring heart. You feel privileged she's sharing her vulnerability with you.

Since Charlie's death you've rarely allowed yourself the luxury of tears, but this warrior-woman has given you back your compassion. Even though tears threaten to score the fringes of your eyelids you won't let her see them. Not here, not now. For her benefit you will remain the irreverent, self-defacing General Jack O'Neill she depends upon.

The clanking of Jaffa armor alerts you the barbarians are at the gate. In a matter of seconds you'll hear that dumb, dumb command of "Kree!" and one of you will be dragged from this Egyptian prison cell and drop-kicked before another egotistical System Lord.

You pull back and cradle her heart-shaped face. Her indigo eyes search your face. "Sir?" She nibbles her lower lip in the habitable way that still makes you weak-kneed.

"Drop the sir, Sam. Just Jack, okay?"

"'K, Jack." A genuine smile tugs her lips before anxiety sweeps over her weary beauty.

You toy with her blonde hair and your mouth opens as you strive to say something profound. Heck, you can't even quote her a love sonnet. Geez, your brain has left the building.

"I-" Words fail her as well. She blushes and looks at a point over your shoulder. But her tight grip assures you her love is as intense as your own.

"Hey, we've been in this situation before, right?" You waggle your scarred brow and force a glib smile, knowing she loves your dimples.

"No. Not really." She presses your hand to her lips and when her warm breath caresses your palm you shudder. "This is different, Jack." She's right. This is the first you've taken it out of the 'room' during an off-world mission that's got, 'hell of a mess,' written all over it.

You pull her deeper into your embrace and whisper against the softness of her cheek, "We'll get through this, Sam. Believe me."

"I do." Her slender fingers dance around your neck weaving themselves into your bed-head hair and you lean into her caress, wanting it to never end. "And always have, Jack."

"I know."

"Kree!"

You both glance up while guards return a semiconscious Daniel and toss him at your feet.

"Daniel?"

"Jaack?" his rasping voice assures that he's still among the living.

Holding Sam tighter, you share the same passionate look when a force field had separated you from her on Apophis' ship. Before you can physically check out Daniel, a guard yanks her from your arms.

"No!" You step between her and the beefy Jaffa and glare him down. "Take me first, bonehead!" you order with such authority that he concedes with a grunt. He mutters some Jaffa gibberish and shoves you toward the open door and four, staff-weapon armed Jaffa. As the iron door slams shut you glance over your shoulder. Her face pressed between the bars, blue eyes wet with unshed tears, she give you a hopeful smile. The soldier in her makes you proud. This time there's no restraint on your part.

"I love you, Samantha!" you confess in the no-holds-bard tone of a man in love and then see that love reflected in her emotion-lit eyes.

"I love you, Jack!" she yells as you are led around the corner and out of her sight.

Outnumbered by Jaffa and despite your aching bum knee, you walk tall and confident toward the inevitable. Because in your heart you know that no matter what-'We're holding.'

Yeah.

The end . . .Hope not.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 1of 16 - FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS! by HailDorothy
FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS! - Novella - Part 1of Part 16 - Chosen Hearts Series

FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS! - Novella - Part 1of Part 16 - Chosen Hearts Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: : Fifth and Replicarter mess with Jack and Sam's memories, while the climatic events at the SGC including Anubis' threat to invade Earth, jeopardizes any chance of happiness for Jack and Sam.
Category: Angst, Filk/Song, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 721 Lost City, 801 New Order, 815 Reckoning, 817 Threads, 818 Citizen Joe, 819 Moebius
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam, none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, character death, language, sexual situations, none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-03-13

Title: Forever And For Always! Novella - Part 1 of Part 16 - Chosen Hearts Series - 8 Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Category: Humor/Angst/Romance Warnings: None Pairing: Sam/Jack, Sam/Pete, Others: Teal'c, Daniel, Cassandra, Jacob Carter Spoilers: Pre-Season-1 - S8 - Threads 818, Moebius 1&2 - 819, 820 Rating: Caution for Jack's mouth & sexual content between a husband and wife. Author's Notes: Please read 'Branded Hearts' first.

Summary: Fifth and Replicarter mess with Jack and Sam's memories, while the climatic events at the SGC including Anubis' threat to invade Earth, jeopardizes any chance of future happiness for Jack and Sam. File Size: 154KB Archived: Jackfic, GateWorld, SamandJack, Heliopolis and my site: HailDorothy.net

Dedicated: to all the fic fans that have read this series from conception and continue to encourage me to keep the fire burning between Jack and Sam.

Songs: 'Where Do Broken Hearts Go?' Whitney Houston, Greatest Hits. Lyrics: F. Wildhorn, C. Jackson 1987(c), 'It's Getting Better All the Time,' - The Greatest Hits Collection II - BMG/Arista - Brooks and Dunn(c). 'She'll Hear You,' Ben Jelen(c). 'Let Me Tell You' - KC And The Sunshine Band(c). 'What I Did For Love', - Jonny Mathis(c). 'Take Good Care Of My Baby' - Bobby Vinton(c). 'It's Getting Better Every Day' - Mama Cass Elliot(c). 'You Should Hear' - Melissa Manchester - Tom Snow/Dean Pitchford(c). 'Put Your Head On My Shoulder' - Paul Anka(c). 'Forever and For Always,' Shania Twain(c)

Series Summary: This is an established series in which Jack and Sam fell in love during Jack's retirement. When Jack is re-commissioned and Sam inadvertently assigned his subordinate, they pretend to be strangers and put their wannabe lover's relationship on hold. Little do they realize it will not be a matter of months, but years, before they can follow through on the desire of their hearts.

The series is not chronologically written, and begins with Jack and Sam's first romantic encounter to present SG-1 season whether S8, S9 or S10. Please read 'Charade' for setup of rest of, 'Chosen Hearts Series.' I have posted fics by season and episode. Other than the twists I've first introduced and a few along the way, this series is canon based.

Special thanks to: My friends and betas Carol Sue and Dinkydow, you ladies, have the patience of saints and the heart of a true Jack/Sam shippers! And thank you, God, for bequeathing me the gift of the bards.

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series may include script excerpts from the TV Series 'Stargate SG-1.' This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy 2005 (c).

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

~*~ PART 1

CHAPTER ONE

HOODWINKED!

Sealed by a kiss Seared in our essence Sated in our blood Forged in our hearts

His breath the air I breathe His touch the cloak that warms me Devil, do what you dare Our love cannot be hoodwinked

All may not be as it seems-Beware!

~*~

With Jack's kiss branding her lips, heart, and mind Sam thought she'd sleep. She'd wanted to call him, to verify it had really happened. Her hot aching body assured her something amazingly miraculous happened between them tonight. Jack had sealed their love with a kiss, not just any kiss, his Ancient DNA had merged with hers and they were one forever. From here on nothing could divide them. Snuggling into the warm cocoon of his imagined embrace, Sam slept the best in ages, her dreams merging with those of her dream lover and of their future together.

~*~

These mortals were puppets in his hands. It would take seconds. It would come and be gone before its ship's presence was detected by their primitive technology.

Fifth stood beside Sam's bed watching her smile in her sleep and in her dream. Dreams it wished to be a part of. She would be it's again. There was no doubt.

Months ago, Fifth had delved into her memories, foolishly it'd taken on the image of the man who she'd shared recent intimate experiences with, Pete somebody . . .Fifth had even recreated the farm in Montana that Sam envisioned. It'd watched her awaken, look around the bedroom and despite her confusion she'd seemed pleased and happy with her surroundings. That was until Fifth emerged as Pete from the barn. It'd seen the light in her blue eyes dim, the disappointment, even shock at Pete's image. This was odd. When Fifth had kissed her and asked if that felt real, she'd lied. Her kiss had been cold and un-giving.

Fifth had been shocked at this failure. But it'd kept up the guise, telling itself she was just bewildered and that it needed to be more like Pete, sweet, kind, understanding and caring. That hadn't worked. She'd wanted it to be someone else, but who? Fifth hadn't been able to get through the wall she'd erected to keep it out. Protecting someone? The man she really loved. Who?

Then came the Stranger invading Fifth's world.

"We must leave," Fifth had insisted to Sam outside the farmhouse.

"Why?" She'd faced it defiantly.

"They've found a means to fight us."

"The Asgard? How?" She looked around but didn't see any invasion.

"The one you call O'Neill."

"What!" It had seen it then, the relief and love in her blue eyes not for Fifth, not for Pete, but O'Neill.

"Your friends. They are killing . . ."

"Don't expect me to be sorry." She had seemed happy.

" . . .Trying to stop us."

"Trying to save me," Sam said adamantly.

"No!" Fifth tried to convince her that the one called O'Neill wouldn't come for her. "They do not care about you. I told them I would kill you if they did not stop."

"Then why don't you kill me? You know why my friends won't stop just to save me?"

"No." Fifth sensed her feelings were open. Without even mind melding it knew Sam's heart belonged to O'Neill and she'd rather die by that man's hand, than remain here with Fifth.

"Because they know, when it comes right down to it, I would rather be dead than be trapped like this forever."

Yes, Fifth knew when she said they, Sam meant O'Neill.

"No matter what you feel for me, I will never love you back. Kill me if you want, but if you have even one shred of humanity in you, if you really truly love me, you'll let me go."

It did.

~*~

Fifth was back.

Alongside Fifth stood its newest creation, Replicarter, who it called ISam. ISam was perfect in every way, possessing what no Replicator ever had before, Sam's DNA, thanks to the Asgard technology Fifth had stolen. Of course, Fifth fine-tuned her. ISam even loved and obeyed Fifth. That, however, proved the problem, ISam wasn't Samantha Carter, at least not the one it desired. The one with fire and complex emotions that drove Fifth crazy with need for her, to join with her as human lovers do. It had glimpsed this physical union in Sam with the mortal Pete. And yet it'd not sensed her desire for Pete in the manner she felt for the one called O'Neill. All her love and passion was reserved for the one she had tried to protect, the one she wouldn't admit had ordered her to leave Fifth behind two years ago! O'Neill!

"You wish me to?" ISam reached to invade Sam's mind, looking for Fifth's approval.

"No!" Fifth stopped her. "We will merge together. She has hidden information. Buried it. We need to burrow deeper into her subconscious. But we will start with the immediate, with her dreams. It is important that we do not harm or disturb her. We will touch her and O'Neill at the same time."

"She will know it's us," ISam insisted with Sam's frown.

"Yes, but she cannot stop us." His demonic smile made his companion smile.

Their forms separated, breaking into another set of Fifth and ISam. One set vanished appearing in Jack's bedroom.

~*~

Fifth glared down at Jack O'Neill with vile hatred. Hatred fueled by years of suspended animation, and now knowing without reservation that this was the man Sam loved, that she would die for. Fifth should have seen this the first time, should have sensed their unique bond. But then it'd not possessed the human qualities needed for such comprehension. It did now.

O'Neill possessed what Fifth desired, Sam. He also possessed qualities Fifth needed to obtain its goal, Sam's love. This would take time but Fifth would become Jack O'Neill.

His deadlight eyes examining the mortal's outer cover, Fifth had yet to understand why Sam would be attracted to this gray-haired middle-aged being, whose physical condition was anything but perfect. He had many flesh scars and most of his skeleton had been broken. His knees were, as Fifth discovered while visiting Sam's mind, shot. Fifth was younger, smarter and more handsome. Clearly, there was more to this emotion of love, more than physical attraction had linked Sam's heart to this aged man.

It would be so easy to kill the defenseless creature. But Fifth no longer relished easy. No, it wanted them to suffer while it planned O'Neill's demise and then took Sam for itself. Fifth tipped its head and glanced at ISam who quietly observed the O'Neill. The expression of longing on her face mimicked that of Sam. Fifth watched ISam's delicate chin jut out and then back in. A look Fifth had never seen ISam display even for it. She possessed Sam's attraction for this man, at least as much as Fifth had been able to retrieve the first time. She knew he was an enemy to their brethren. Rage and jealousy caused Fifth to shake.

"I anger you, Fifth."

"Your lack of control, yes."

"Forgive me? But from Sam's point of view, he is beautiful. He is her lover, her husband. And yet they live and sleep apart."

"Because they are deceitful to their kind. I believe this O'Neill calls it hoodwinked. Something we will never do."

"Never." ISam nodded its blonde head.

"Except to them."

"Yeah sure yabetcha." She winked.

"Good. Remember what this mortal did to 'us,' our brethren. He must be punished."

"I understand," her blue gaze drifting back to O'Neill. "But can I . . ."

"Yes." There was no need for them to speak like humans, but Fifth knew it was imperative she learn the ways of these mortals.

ISam leaned forward and pulled the sheets away revealing his state of undress. A slight gasp left her. "Amazing! Like, Sam, he is physically stirred," her gaze locked on his nether region. "No doubt he dreams of her now."

"Yes. We will amalgamate with their memories and then practice this human form of bonding."

Nodding, ISam gently traced a fingertip over Jack's warm lips, jaw, then down his neck across his chest and stomach. Jack groaned and moved against ISam's touch.

"Saam," he breathed out.

ISam gasped at the heat from his body and pulled back. 'I like this pleasure and power.' It smiled evilly at Fifth. 'I like what I can do to him.'

'You are a good apprentice." They joined hands.

Simultaneously, back in Sam's bedroom, ISam nodded and two sets of hands transformed into a long fine needle penetrating Sam's forehead. She flinched at the precision contact. Her peaceful romantic dreams invaded by icy cold.

'Now let us expunge what we need. Afterward we have one last mortal to visit.'

"Who?"

At Jack's bedside, the Replicators hands transformed into a bigger needle and Fifth confidently replied, "Pete Shanahan."

~*~

OF BUGS AND MEN

Dream a little dream of me . . .

They were at their cabin. Sam loved the idea of this serene place being theirs. She finally understood why he'd come here whenever possible. Twenty miles from nowhere, he'd once said, the middle of the universe. He was right.

And now the mid-day sun warmed her body as she danced the dance as old as time with her lover beside the lake. She could feel the grass tickling beneath her or was it his stealth caresses? Sam didn't care. She was with Jack. The man, who she loved, branded to for life, her chosen heart. Her husband.

Her dizzy gaze captured the twinkle of the blue diamond on her left hand. Married! Yes! He was whispering those naughty arousing words that only he could utter. His touch was electrifying. He laughed and pulled her closer, "So wanna go fishing, Mrs. O'Neill?"

"Already am," she teased back. "Caught me a big one too," she kissed his whiskered jaw and extracting a guttural groan as her touch captured the heat of him. Jack nuzzled the curve of her neck kissing her there. Man, she loved when he didn't shave and his beard chafed her delicate skin. Her fingers shifted through his longer gray hair that she could curl her fingers through and hang onto.

"You make me crazy, Samantha," his husky lisp drove her over the edge with pleasure.

"I know," she drawled against his feasting mouth, urging their union, her love for this man bringing her to tears as she insisted, "Now Jack."

His strength enveloping her, Jack joined with her and murmured, "Wanna make a baby, Dorothy?"

"Yes!" The one thing besides Jack she longed for was his baby, babies to be exact.

"Baby!" An angry voice screamed in her head.

Fifth! Its deadlights glared at her from that cold darkness she'd been trying to forget. Sam sensed another presence with Fifth but couldn't see it.

"What the h-?" Jack blanketed Sam's nude body with his own and glared at Fifth. "Crap! Boogie man is back!"

"And you, O'Neill, are gone!" The angry Replicator yanked Sam from Jack's protective arms, and then flung him through the air. Jack collided with the log cabin's wall so hard Sam heard the impact, heard his painful call, "Sam!"

The dream transformed to reality. A paralyzing fear seized her in a deep state of R.E.M. She couldn't break free of the familiar agonizing mental pain. Fifth stood gloating, but not at her, at Jack, whose anguished expression stated the obvious. They were being attacked simultaneously.

The emotional pain of their subconscious separation took on a physical nature. Sam was still immobile, but Jack seemed able to move. He was running toward her, so close. Yes! The earth quaked, the ground plummeted into a huge dark abyss and she was falling-

"Sam!" Jack yelled and vanished!

"I am sorry," ISam's voice echoed back to her. "Fifth made me! Fifth is mad!"

~*~

CHAPTER TWO

When I woke up this morning, you were on my mind . . .

~*~

Jack brought cake. Problem was he couldn't remember why. Oh, well, not like no one would eat it. He glanced into the Briefing Room where his SG Team officers mingled with coffee and yeah, his cake.

Meanwhile, he sat in his office holding an ice pack to the base of his skull. What a hangover! He hoped it had been worth it. Hoped Daniel wasn't ticked off at him. Worse, he couldn't believe he'd gotten hammered the night before a seven A.M. briefing with his team leaders.

Being General sucked.

He lowered his forehead to the desk and tried to think.

Thinking sucked.

His brain felt like scrambled eggs. "You're an ass, Jack," he muttered against the comforting coolness of the oak desktop. 'No one's worth getting wasted over anymore, not even Carter. She made her choice and it's not you, so live with it!'

Despite that brilliant newsflash he wished he could remember drinking himself into the stupor. It wasn't like him to get mind numbing drunk anymore and if he did, he always remembered why. That's how rare it had become. Of all the things to forget, he hadn't forgotten the great dream that turned into a freaking nightmare that still gave him gooseflesh.

One moment he was at the cabin on the grass making love to Sam, next something yanked him out of her arms and tossed him painfully against the cabin's wall and then he was falling into a dark abyss. No doubt, the abyss represented waking up to one S.O.B. hangover.

"Jack?"

"Wha-at?" He lifted his smarting face just high enough to discern the swimming image of Daniel standing in the doorway, sipping coffee. Jack's stomach pitched. "Stand still wilya. You're making me sicker," he drawled closing his eyes.

"Wow! That's a first!"

"Nah ah." Jack waved a limp hand. "Quiet . . .very quiet." He grimaced and slowly lowered his forehead to his folded arms.

"Sorry," Daniel whispered and stepped further into the office, then said softly, "I've got clothes pins for your eyelids. Hey, when did you add red dye to your eyeballs?"

"Funny." Jack propped his head and then scrubbed a hand over his face and into his hair. Crap, even his hair hurt.

"Like what happened after I dropped you off last night?" Daniel ventured taking a chair.

"You tell me?" he moaned sliding the icepack around to his forehead. "Feel like I hit a concrete wall at hyper drive."

"Yeah, well, granted, you'd been chugging them down pretty hard at first, but stopped. Seemed pretty sober when you and Pete had it out in the restroom."

"We what?" Jack flinched, peeling open an eye.

The Space Monkey was smirking. How could anyone be so happy this early in the morning? Daniel could. Oh, yeah, that's right. This was Daniel.

The linguist leaned closer and looked apprehensively at his friend. "I had no idea the Ancient Branding would do that to you. Hope Sam's okay."

"Whatchaya talking about?" Jack grimaced.

"Just last night was pretty emotionally intense. I assumed you went to Sam's. So you two drive in together?" He winked suggestively.

"Huh?" Daniel made absolutely no sense. Then again that was normal.

"General?" Walter barged in. "We've less than ten minutes before the briefing, sir."

"My watch works, Walter." Jack didn't remove his head from the comfortable position he'd finally found against the back of the high back chair.

"Sorry, sir, but umm, Colonel Carter called, said she's sick. She didn't sound well-"

"Now I'm concerned." Daniel glanced at Jack, who could only moan a reply.

"But, she said she'll be here, soon as she stops vomiting."

"Thanks." Jack shifted his head and squinted at his assistant. "Do me a favor, Walter. Cancel and reschedule all of today's briefings."

"Certainly, sir." Walter had a slight smirk. "Would you like more coffee?"

"No, got gut rot. Get me a bottle of . . ."

"Antacids are in your top left drawer, sir."

'Oh,' Jack mouthed, lifting his head. He swore a brass band played in there, a marching band no less."

"And, sir?"

"Walter?" He winced at the punctual assistant from hell.

"You have a briefing with SG-14 at 0900."

"Whoopee," He waved a limp hand to shoo the man off. Hey, hadn't he just canceled the briefings? "Walter?"

"Yes, sir. I'll cancel all your meetings today and reschedule them through out the week. However, don't forget the conference call with the Joints Chief of Staff at 0930."

Jack moaned, knowing he couldn't weasel of that meeting unless there was a threat level of oh um, a code red or foxtrot alpha six. He wished!

"Your drycleaner called, so I sent a man to pickup your laundry. Rescheduled your six-month dental checkup for Wednesday at 1400. Cook wants your opinion on that new double chocolate pecan cheesecake. He got twenty cases of fresh papayas instead of popcorn and um, sorry, no Fruit Loops or Oatmeal, still on backorder. Oh, two of your neighbors called complaining, about some moron mowing your lawn at 0430 again. With all due respect I assume that moron, would be you, sir?"

Walter hightailed it out before Jack could strangle him.

"Geez! I swear he does that on purpose," Jack groused beneath his breath.

"He does." Daniel snorted. "Be glad you got him, Jack."

"I know . . . He's like Radar on M*A*S*H. He knows all, sees all, darn scary, next he'll be meddling in my love life like someone else I know."

"You have a love life?" Daniel teased.

"Daniel."

"Jack?"

"Daniel?"

"Is there something you wanna tell me?"

"Not particularly." Jack sat up gingerly, opened the drawer to find the bottle of antacids exactly where Walter said it was. He didn't recall putting it there. Geez, Walter was everywhere even in Jack's drawers. "Now if you don't mind, I'm going to my quarters for one hour of undisturbed-"

The office lights flickered and died.

The emergency lighting kicked in.

Klaxons blared out the news.

"Attention all personal, off world activation. This is a code red alert!"

"Ah, for crying out loud! Ow! My head!" Dang, he got what'd he wished for!

~*~

Sam sat over the toilet. Man, oh, man, she couldn't remember ever being this sick. Except after Fifth-

The phone rang, and she barely made it into the bedroom. "Hello." She held her pitching stomach and gagged.

"Sam?"

"Pe-ete." She slumped back on the bed lowering her throbbing head onto an ice pack and closed her bloodshot eyes.

"Yeah." He didn't sound well either.

"Um, Sam, I called your lab and a Doctor Felger said you were home sick."

"Yep."

"I'm sick too," he said groggily.

"Amazing. Something we ate?"

"Probably . . . Say, did we fight?"

"Don't know." She searched her pulsing head and encountered remnants of heated words, flashes of angry faces. Pete. Jack. Jack! Why?

"Sam?"

"What?"

"Do you remember leaving a message on my cell?" he sounded angry and concerned.

"No. Why?"

"Nothing. I just . . .Look, we're all right, I mean our relationship?"

"Sure. Of course." They were right? Somehow it didn't ring true.

"Good. I . . ."

"Pete?" The distinct sound of vomiting followed.

Had to be food poisoning. Sam's belly pitched again and her head felt like an exploding grenade. No way was she going to work.

A call beeped through on her phone. "Colonel Carter?"

"Later, Pete, I gotta call coming in."

"Yes?" She hurried back to the bathroom.

"Walter here. All systems are offline . . . "

"Please send a car, coz I can't drive."

"Will do, Ma'am."

Dropping the phone Sam hugged the throne as another wave of dry heaves washed over her. Death by a zat would be a welcomed reprieve at this point.

~*~

'Never know how much I love you, you never know how much I care When you put your arms around me, I get a feeling that I just can't bear You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night.

Bless my soul I love you, take this heart away Take these arms I never use them And just believe what my lips have to say You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night

Listen to me, baby, hear every word I say No one can love you the way I do Because they don't know how to love you my way You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night

The sun lights up the daytime, the moon lights up at night My eyes light up when you call my name, Because I know you're gonna treat me right You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight Fever in the morning, fever all through the night. You give me fever, you give me fever, oh yeah, Fever all through the night'

~*~

SGC Control Room:

FEVER!

Yep, he was definitely burning up. At least he was standing. That was more than he could say for Carter. Jack worried. What in the world had they eaten or drank last night at O'Malley's and why wasn't Daniel sick?

"How's those glitches and lost coordinates coming, Colonel?" A hand on either side of her chair's back to keep his balance, he leaned over as she typed at the control board, while the staff went about their business.

"Fine sir, all accounted for." Sam glanced at him, her blue eyes void of light. Even her complexion looked pasty. "I sure would like to know who messed with them. This was no accident."

"Rarely is," he dismissed her work concern. "You look like hell."

"You should talk, sir," she tossed back with a watery smile.

Wow! He felt, well, something he shouldn't be feeling, let alone when sick. He paused to identify the exact word to describe it. Horny! Carter? And he was hot, really hot! He reached up and ran a finger along the neckline of his black t-shirt. He was sweating like a pig.

"Must have been the steak or sour cream," he suggested, stepping off distance between them and adjusting his BDU shirt to conceal the growing evidence. The pleasurable sensation overpowered him. Run for the hills, Jack! Man, he wanted her, on his desk, now! Erotic images spiraled through his mind, feelings coursed down his spinal cord accelerating every nerve fiber and tissue of his being. He was on instant replay of their wedding night on Heru'ur's ship four years ago. Not to mention their stint as Nirrti's mating lab rats twenty years ago. Why now?

"Err, I had lemon chicken and rice." Her comment dragged him back to the present and out of the gutter.

"Oh. Um, Daniel's not sick." He unconsciously gravitated toward her and got hotter. Why was he running a fever?

"Nor is anyone else. I called the restaurant and talked to Jim."

"Well, my head's worse than my gut," Jack shared. "Feels like someone jammed a big honking nail into it." He rubbed his forehead and winced.

"It's about even on my end."

"Sorry."

She turned and met his sincere gaze. Another sensation sluiced over him, more than hormones, far more dominant. Years of discipline kept his emotions for Sam trapped deep, especially while on duty. That wasn't the case now. And she was looking at him in a way she hadn't since before he went Ancient. As if she still loved him, wanted him. He felt the sweat on his upper lip and slowly tracked his tongue over it, lapping up the salt.

Sam made a low keening sound and mimicked his tongue action, her own face flushed with fever. When her tongue flicked the bow of her wet lips, he felt a viral groan working its way up from the pit of his groin. What was going on? Their gazes fused as one, even stranger they seemed to be breathing together. Synchronized.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Breathe, dang it!

"Um, so Pete's sick too, huh?" Jack choked out between gasps. His hands swatted an invisible insect. He was shaking. People were watching, listening. He jammed his antsy hands into his pockets and rocked on his heels. Whoops. Not wise. He wavered and latched onto the chair. Thank heavens for his relaxed-fit BDU's.

"Yes." She blinked a few times, then turned back to the screen and rubbed her neck that glistened with perspiration. Jack was tempted to give her a shoulder rub. Why? Coz he used to give them to her on a regular basis when she burned the midnight oil. He remembered the one he'd given her the night before he went Ancient. It had been so hot and intense between them . . .

"Last I spoke with him, he was throwing up."

'Yes! There's justice!' "Look, Carter, if ya wanna go home and hold his hand, go." 'Did he just say that, let alone in public?' Sam's slender shoulders stiffened. Crap! He did!

"I'll do just that, sir." Standing, she snatched up the computer printout and snapped it between her fingers. "Now, if you'll excuse me." She wavered and he instinctively grabbed her, turning her into him.

"I'm sorry," he said softly before letting go, his eyes full of regret.

"Whatever." She walked off stiffly, but not enough to conceal the inviting sway of her hips. 'Geez, Jack, get a grip! Yeah, a grip of Sam!' He felt the curious eyes of his observant staff.

Stalking toward the stairs and his office, he barked, "Back to work, people!"

~*~

CHAPTER THREE

SGC GATEROOM

Geared up from an off world mission, ISam exited the Gate holding a rifle. Daniel and Siler stood waiting for her at the bottom of the ramp. It ambled down the ramp toward them.

Daniel looked up. "Sam! Good to have you back. How'd it go?"

Without hesitation, ISam lifted its P90 and gunned down Daniel and Siler, and then the two SFs in the room.

From the Control Room Walter Harriman yelled over the PA: "Security breach! Threat level: foxtrot alpha six. All security teams to the Gate Room!"

The blast doors closed over the Control Room as ISam strolled casually down the ramp. The Gate Room door shut. She reached out to swipe the card reader when a bullet hit her square in the back. Without a flinch, she turned and saw Jack in the opposite doorway, his P90 aimed at her. She knew it was his bullet that had just ripped through her.

His stunned expression held it captive as he tentatively lowered his rifle. ISam saw the confusion in his narrowed brown eyes followed by his familiar facial twitch as he registered what, it had just done. ISam had shot Daniel and Siler in cold blood. He was next.

ISam took a few steps toward him and then halted. A ripple effect washed over its feminine form and the wound healed. ISam watched the reality of what it really was transform Jack's bewildered expression to that of a hardnosed soldier.

Jack set his rifle to multiple-fire, braced, and shot a hail of bullets into ISam. Again the ripple sluiced over it as ISam repaired the damage. ISam raised its rifle and aimed at Jack, and then hesitated as he stared at it in dread. Jack! Her husband! The man who loved Samantha Carter and who she lo-

"Finish him! Do it! Finish him!" Fifth appeared on the ramp. "You must break with your old life for your new life to begin. Do not disappoint me!"

Jack stared at ISam with a mixture of shock and acceptance. ISam fired a single bullet into his chest. He groaned and crumbled to the concrete floor. Smiling proudly Fifth strolled toward it and the room dissolved into the dull gray metallic walls of the Replicator ship.

Overwhelmed with loss and remorse for what it'd just done ISam turned to Fifth.

"You have done very well." He reached to caress her but she pulled back. "Soon, you will be ready to take your place by my side." He walked away and dissolved into a wall. ISam stayed where it was, face contorted with grief and pain, it projected itself back to the SGC Gate Room Simulation.

Dropping to its knees ISam stared at the man Samantha Carter loved and would die for. "Wake up, Jack. This wasn't real!" ISam caressed the coolness of his whiskered cheek. When he didn't respond it began to shake Jack's limp lifeless form. "No! You're not dead! I didn't kill you. Won't! Can't!"

"You will!" Fifth's words assaulted ISam's mind. "You will do it over and over again, until it's second nature!" The simulation started again. ISam walked down the ramp and-

As its physical self obeyed Fifth's orders, ISam pulled within itself, away from Fifth where even he could not touch it because ISam was superior to Fifth. It hated Fifth! Hated him! He'd take what ISam wanted most and destroyed it. Jack O'Neill! Well, this wasn't going to happen! ISam had a plan. Holy Hannah, it was going to work. Yeah sure yabetcha!"

~*~

FEVER!

Sam removed the oral thermometer and frowned at the reading that refused to drop below 99.8. At least it wasn't a 102 like when she'd been with the General. Not that he had anything to do about it, right?

Sam didn't go home or hold Pete's hand. But she did retreat to her lab and shut the security door, something she rarely did considering the old ventilation system worked best with it opened. Actually she felt physically and emotionally better being near the General. Weird! But she'd also felt she was burning up with fever in his presence. A feverish fire that started in her womanhood and threatened to consume everything in its path. And to complicate things, she'd sensed the same raging inferno attraction raging in him.

Holy Hannah, what was wrong with her, with the General? She'd tried to sort the pieces but kept drawing blanks. It had been this way between them for a long time right, the emotional distance? So what had brought this uncontrollable urge to make love to him now? As an afterthought, she glanced at the wall calendar and then counted off her fingers. "Twenty, twenty one-Can't be! Nah! Has to be coincidence, right? Still, she was definitely ovulating. But why did she want Jack? 'Well, if that isn't a dumb question, Carter? You've always wanted him!'

Sam recalled the morning she'd gone to his house after he'd downloaded the knowledge of the Ancients. How she'd never slept that night and had been driving around town since 0500 hours. She found herself anxiously at his door and that he'd opened it seemingly surprised. She'd intended to tell him she was still in love with him and hoped he'd felt the same. She wanted his forgiveness for being with Pete. She wanted Jack more than ever. But she couldn't remember much after that. All she had were fragmented personal recollections. She remembered feelings of hopeless desperation as the download overtook Jack, fearing she'd never be able to tell him how she felt. And she hadn't. To this day, she'd yet to tell anyone of her jumbled memories. She didn't want to spend weeks in therapy with Doctor Mackenzie. No way.

And, because her love for Jack still ran ocean deep, she and Pete had made love only a few times. She'd since insisted they just make out, but let him stay overnight in the guest room. He didn't like it, but respected her decision. Even when petting Pete had only sexually satisfied her a few times but there'd been no explosion of fireworks like when she and Jack had walkie-talkie sex. Or when they came together in their dreams. Those hot memories made her shiver. Just the sound of Jack's sultry lisp was able to take her over the rainbow!

Still, Pete made her happy by some remote definition of the word. He was comfortable and predictable, like Jack. No, not like Jack. That was a different kind of comfort and predictable zone. Comfort in knowing that even now, she could trust him to be there for her. She could take comfort in his strong arms, in the way he'd murmur reassurances in her ear as he brushed her hair with his hand and held her like he'd never let go . . .Stop it, Sam!

Predictable. Doh!

Predictable, in that he always had a plan A but never a plan B. Predictable, in that on any given situation, she could mouth his choice O'Neillism before it left his mouth. But just when she least expected, he'd create a new one! Sam smiled. Predictable, in that like a little kid with a new toy he'd stand in the line of fire and discharge his P90 at the advancing enemy. Not that he took pleasure in taking life but he'd get the same gleam in his eyes when he'd detonate C4. Jack O'Neill truly walked the lunatic fringe. And that factor alone made her feel alive!

Predictable, in that he used to always bring her coffee and blue Jell-O once a day and when she was PMSing double chocolate cake with butter frosting. Or even better, she'd find Godiva chocolate in her BDU pocket. She never did figure out how he did that.

But wait, Pete was predictable! He bought her roses . . .although she preferred daisies. He was always available when she needed to escape the mountain and the stress of a Goa'uld invasion. He wined and dined her. Bought her sexy nightgowns instead of Wonder Woman flannel pajamas. Sam nipped her inner cheek to keep from smiling at the sad state of those worn pajamas.

Um, Pete provided everything she wanted in a relationship. Really! And unlike her and Jack, she and Pete never, ever argued. Sam accepted the bittersweet realization that perhaps this was as good as it got. She'd settled and that fact sickened her, it wasn't her style or nature.

Like it or not arguing with the General always got her hot. Just the way he'd say, "Carter!" when he was pissed made her flush with need. In fact when they'd been married a disagreement or heated words at the briefing table fueled the best make-out sessions. Sam got hot just thinking about it. Curse the man!

And why now?

Her memories of her marriage to Jack on Chulak seemed an illusion, vague at best. Besides, they were farther apart than ever, separated by more imposing regulations since he became CO of the SGC. A decision she'd hated him for making, but had never told him. Career-wise it was the best move he could have made. Despite his unorthodox methods, he proved as always to be a strong, decisive leader and had everyone's respect and loyalty, especially hers. Up until today, she wondered if that mattered to him anymore. Did she mean anything more to him than being SG-1's CO and his friend?

And yet a few hours ago when he'd come to check on her in the Control Room, something transpired between them. It still sent a tremor of quicksilver to her womanhood, not that being around him still didn't do that. Just, since dating Pete, she'd learned to conceal it, even ignore it. Sometimes, she thought she was over Jack, but this morning, it came in a powerful rush of emotionally charged adrenaline. Love, lust, angst, confusion! It felt as if well, she tried to push the ridiculous idea out of her head and failed, they'd made love.

Angry, wild monkey sex!

Sam felt as if Jack had seen into her soul and she into his. As if he'd known exactly what she'd been thinking. There'd been a time he had. No one not even her father knew as much about her as Jack O'Neill did. Over the years, most often, lying in his arms she'd bared her aspirations, dreams and fears with Jack. And he'd accepted every part of Samantha Carter and most of all loved her.

Tears stung her eyelashes. When had it gone so wrong between them? She felt as if a part of her had died. And yet when he'd made that cutting remark about Pete, she knew he felt something, even if it was revulsion. Was there still a chance?

"Sam?" Daniel called from the corridor.

"Enter," she groaned, lifted her head off the coolness of the table and swiped at her wet, blood shot eyes.

Folder in hand, he stepped in soon as the door opened.

She pressed a feeble smile, knowing it didn't touch her eyes.

"Hey," he squinted at the dim lightening that washed the lab. "You alright?"

"Sure. Considering." She left her stool and stretched her sore body. "Feel like I've been on the obstacle course from hell, other than that," she trailed off and turned the lights up, wincing at their brightness. She decided not to mention her fever had yet to drop to normal.

"Yeah, Sam, about that." He made the habitable finger thrust of his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"What?" She opened one of her manuals, feigning interest in it.

"Do you recall anything that happened last night at O'Malley's or afterward?"

Sam grimaced. "Not really. Pete and I went there for dinner. You and Jack were there too. I assume there was a blowout of sorts, but I can't recall the specifics."

"I see," he sighed out with that tightlipped expression that worried her.

"So care to enlighten me, oh great Ancient One?"

"Erm, um," he heehawed. "Jack asked the same thing." Daniel twitched his fingers, which made her more nervous.

"And?" She stepped closer, knowing the Jackson avoidance tone. "You were there, Daniel. So spill."

"Can't."

"Why?"

"Well, because I'm not certain myself, and until I do more research, I'd rather not discuss it. I mean I'm thinking you guys are just fine and I'm the one with the problem. Which makes no sense because I know how messed up you and Jack are about each other."

Her mouth dropped open.

"Oh, did I say that? Sorry." He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, exhaling loudly.

"No you're not. Personal issues aside, I'm not a drinker and don't think it was something I ate. If anything, I think, I mean I feel like after . . ."

"What?" He glanced up with a hopeful look.

"Fifth was in my head." She hugged herself and shivered with revulsion. "But that's impossible, right? I mean there's no way he could?" Her eyes rounded at the prospect.

"Of course not. NORAD would have detected his ship, right?" Daniel's answering her question with another didn't help.

"Will you tell me what you think happened?" She watched his mind doing its logical and then psychological analysis.

"No."

"Why?" Frustrated she hugged her pitching stomach. Man, there wasn't anything left to toss.

"Because I'm not sure it really happened."

"Well that narrows it down. So we're either all crazy or under an alien influence," she surmised. "Where's the General?"

"Um, he left about ten minutes ago. Went home I assumed."

"Oh." She felt strange, melancholy and the nausea had returned, she also realized Jack had to be dying before he'd leave the complex on a regular duty day.

"So I guess botulism would be preferred?"

"Not necessarily." Sam held her waist and fled for the head.

~*~

Jack got sicker. Whatever bug he had couldn't leave his body fast enough. Trouble was it refused to obey. After a few more hours of dry heaves and diarrhea, weak and disorientated he gave in and called Teal'c. An hour later he was dozing in the infirmary with an IV stuck in his arm. He hated needles.

One bed over, Carter was in the same condition with an IV and fortunately asleep.

"Doctor Brightman said you and Colonel Carter are extremely dehydrated, O'Neill."

"Ya think." Jack groused with a hoarse voice and drifted off to Munchkin land, muttering, 'We represent the Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild . . .'

~*~ Jack was not a happy camper. Nor was Sam. Daniel remained tight-lipped and between missions spent hours in his lab pouring over old books and even older tablets. What he did discover were more interesting facts about the 'Ancient Branding' ritual plus the physical, mental, and emotional transformations that occurred between the couple once the process was initiated. Each couple developed what was known as a bonding fever known as 'Fever Hy'yat' that could only be alleviated two ways, by love making or drinking plenty of fluids before they'd become dehydrated. Actually both solutions were highly recommended. Go figure.

Meanwhile, same old same old and some crappy new, erm um, whatever! Daniel really had started to think like Jack.

His next discovery proved disheartening. Unless an Ancient couple consummated their initial branding kiss by making love before the next full moon, their branding would dissolve and they would be attracted to others of the opposite sex-however for them to be completely unbranded, their emotional and physical desires had to be mutually severed. If not, they would continue to suffer the monthly 'Fever Hy'yat.' Which meant there was still hope, Daniel hoped. Because in the eight years he'd known Jack and Sam their feelings and sexual desires for each other had never waned, let alone been severed.

Anyhow, Jack ordered Daniel to tell what he knew happened that night at O'Malley's and afterward, but Daniel pleaded the fifth. Weird, how Fifth's name kept popping into their conversation.

Daniel was convinced something or someone had messed with three people's minds or his. He hadn't decided which, until Teal'c returned. Thankfully, it was not Daniel. Teal'c was more than knowledgeable about what had preceded that night's events. Now not only had Jack forgotten he and Sam had reunited before he went Ancient, now Sam had. And then there was the branding ritual, which Daniel assumed had happened. Had it backfired? It played out like some poorly scripted B movie. Just how many times could someone get amnesia?

Whatever happened after Daniel took Jack home that night, not only affected Jack but Sam and Pete as well. Not that Daniel had first-hand knowledge regarding Pete. After all, they'd not spoken since O'Malley's restroom. But Sam and Pete's courtship seemed on track. She displayed no knowledge she'd intended to break off with Pete and tell Jack she was still in love with him or remind him of the night they'd been together before he went Ancient. If Daniel didn't know better, Sam didn't remember that event either.

So whom could he and Teal'c tell? They thought to confront Sam and Jack with their findings, but Daniel feared it was his fault and didn't think much would be gained other than the wrath of his two best friends. First, he'd overloaded Jack's brain telling him more than he should have and then the entire Ancient DNA branding thing. Daniel put out a call to Thor and Loki. So far no one had dialed home.

Daniel was more than nervous.

He was scared.

~*~

CHAPTER FOUR

Six weeks later: 1830 Hours: O'Malley's Bar and Grill

Brooks and Dunn were broadcasting Jack O'Neill's love life in poetic detail over the restaurant speakers! How crappier could life get! Wait! Don't answer that!

'I don't stop breathing every time the phone rings My heart don't race when someone's at my door (Yes it does!) I've almost given up thinkin' you're ever gonna call I don't believe in magic anymore. (Nope, sure don't!)

I just don't lie awake at night Asking God would get you off my mind (Sure do) It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time.

Yeah, I got to work on time again this morning This old job is all that I got to live (Ain't that the truth) And no one even noticed I'd been crying At least I don't have whisky on my breath. (True, I've been drinking less)

Yeah, I think I'm gonna make it 'Cause God won't make a mountain I can't climb (Well, that's up for grabs) It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time.

God, I hope you're happy (That's all I want) Girl, I wish you well I just might get over you (When pigs fly) You can never tell.

I always thought that I'd do something crazy If ever saw you out with someone else (Wish I could remember) But when the moment came last night I couldn't say a word, I stood there in the dark all by myself.

Yeah, I could of said a million things All I did was keep it locked inside (That's me, Mister Reticent) It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time.

It's getting better all the time...' (Doh! And Asgards eat Fruit Loops!)

~*~

He wasn't certain how long he'd been sitting in O'Malley's nursing a Guinness and Jack Daniels chaser, probably not as long those song lyrics echoed in his head. But then what did it matter, other than being the man at the SGC Jack O'Neill didn't have a life, at least not with Samantha Carter.

Not that the night was hopeless, of course. The only ray of sunshine in his life, Cassandra was meeting him, just running late as usual. They had intended to spend a few days at his cabin, but with spring finals breathing down her neck, Cassandra needed to study.

Even though he'd broken down and hired a lawn care and house cleaning service, Jack had spent most of his four day weekend contemplating why he paid sixty-bucks a month for lawn care when he had more dandelions in his lawn than grass. And then there was the thirty-bucks an hour housekeeper from Mediocre Maids, who didn't know how to clean a toilet bowl, not to mention scrub the bathroom tiles! By the time he gotten done gardening and cleaning, he was too bone weary to drive to Minnesota, let alone, book a flight for one flipping day at his cabin. So he'd been bumming around town, trying to avoid returning to an empty house that despite how much disinfectant he used, still smelled of Carter.

The other issue Jack managed to tap-dance around was that he and Carter had made it through another hellish week of wanting to engage in wild monkey sex, along with that stupid low-grade fever that elevated whenever they invaded each other's personal space. Testing Daniel theory on what the linguist called 'Fever Hy'yat' Jack sent SG-1 off world for that week. Jack's horniness had eased up, as did the fever, but the moment Carter returned they'd endured a full day of cold showers. Come Monday whatever weird sex bug had bitten them appeared to have run it's short warped lifecycle. They were back to normal. Now Jack just lusted for Carter every hour instead of every minute. Crap!

Expelling a sigh, he stared at the menu he knew by heart. Twenty minutes ago he had settled into a rear booth where he could watch the local patrons, and spot Cassandra's arrival. Jack unconsciously went down his personal laundry list. He still played poker with his neighbors twice a month, attended hockey and high-school football and basketball games, but that was the present extent of extra curricular activities. That along with his telescope dates weather permitting.

Not too long ago, he would have been playing pool with Daniel or Teal'c, but they had gotten lives. Screw them! Everyone had a life, but Jack O'Neill. Yep, since becoming the 'man' his former social life had been flushed down the crapper. No more team nights out, chess with Daniel, teaching Teal'c how to fish, or musical movie marathons that included Daniel dancing on Jack's coffee table. Red Jell-O versa blue Jell-O debates with Carter. Playing footsy with her under the Briefing Room table, not to mention lap-hand games, which meant her keeping his hand out of her lap. Yeah! Ah, whom was he kidding? Jack's hand hadn't been in Carter's lap in a good two years!

Still, it was the little things he missed. Where had it all gone wrong? And why was he sitting in of all places, O'Malley's, alone without Sam, why was he torturing himself? He'd not been here since something supposedly happened between him, Sam and Pete. He wished he could remember!

In the booth behind him, two young women were drinking and talking. Occasionally, Jack's ears would perk-up out of boredom, not to mention their naughty giggles. They were at it again. He grinned over his beer.

"Yeah, I was watching Discovery Channel and they had these scientists who believe that men who are symmetrically perfect are the best lovers. They have and give the best orgasms, and are more likely to get a woman pregnant. So we need to get our hands on that gray wolf ahead of us."

"You wanna get pregnant?" the other asked gulping on a drink and snorting.

"Course not. I just want great sex!" More laughter.

"So how ya know he's symmetrically perfect?"

"Coz, he's tall, lean, proportionate. Obviously works out. He's over forty, but-"

"Yeah, got a whiff of him when we walked by. Yummy." Another round of giggling. "Besides, over forty means he's had plenty of experience between the sheets."

'In our dreams.' Jack snorted. 'Symmetrically perfect? What a line of bull.' But nice to know he still had his mojo. Ah, women. Jack O'Neill wasn't dead from the waist down yet! Not counting these two, he'd been hit on twice since he entered O'Malley's and all were head turners but weren't Sam.

Sam! Even before Jack heard her sweet laughter, he sensed her presence, and if possible, inhaled her. She filed through the main entrance with another couple. Jack peered across the expanse of tables, booths, pool tables and dance floor. She was with her brother Mark and his wife Connie. No Pete! Excellent!

Jack drank in every minuscule detail of Samantha Carter. From the clinging scooped-neck blue sweater to the fitted black skirt slit up her right leg and creamy white thigh. His hungry gaze returned to where her sun kissed hair swept back to expose her flawless heart-shaped face. Her lips were coral frosted and her blue eyes flickered with a secret light. She looked happy. Jack's heart went to his throat and refused to dislodge.

He couldn't breathe!

Inhale.

Exhale.

'Dearest Lord, she's so beautiful!' Jack felt the internal fire warming his face and racing through his body southward. Geez, he thought he'd finally gotten a handle on whatever had been messing with their sexual chemistry. Obviously not! Though the blood in his veins froze as the hostess escorted the threesome toward his booth.

Frick! The hostess sat them in the large circular booth directly across from him. How the heck was he going to . . .?

"General O'Neill?"

Doh! Jack glanced over as Carter had turned in her seat and appearing not the least bit startled, smiled at him. Why did he suspect she'd known he'd been here? 'She probably spotted your truck, moron!'

"Carter?" his voice bottomed out as he feigned surprise and like a drunk lifted his bottle, then nodded at Mark and Connie. Mark never did like him. But Connie had been more than pleasant. She'd made no bones she thought he and Sam should get it on romantically. Yeah. Sure. If only.

The couple glanced at Sam and then Connie said something to her. Sam shook her head no. That gave him a gut ache. She finally nodded yes and turned to him.

"Sir, if you're alone, why don't you join us?" she asked sincerely.

'Great! Just what I need is 'Let's all feel sorry for Jack,' invite.'

He glanced at his watch, wondering where Cassie was. "That's quite all right. You're with family and," he was about to say no, when the demon on his shoulder said, "Sure, why not." Was that regret or relief skittering across Sam's shimmering blue eyes? He'd soon find out.

Beer in hand, Jack stood and told the waiter he'd be sitting with the Carter party. He sauntered over to them and gestured with his beer. "Actually, Cassandra and I have a dinner date." He couldn't believe he'd said date. Hey, why not a date, meeting, dinner engagement with his daughter? That was cool. Right?

"Well, this is odd." Sam made a face. "Coz, she's supposed to meet me at eight pm."

Connie giggled.

"Guess we were setup, Sam. Knowing Cass, she won't show. Remember the last time . . ." 'Did he say that?'

Sam gulped lots of air and then blew it out her compressed lips.

'Yep, he did!' Jack unconsciously mimicked Sam's exhaling gesture, but with his warbling snort of disgust reserved for the Goa'uld. Shit!

Mark and Connie stared curiously.

Sam glared knowingly.

Jack swatted an invisible fly. "I meant it's been awhile since we've gone out together . . .er um," he cringed. "The three of us," he motioned at Sam's crimson hue, "Cassie, Carter, me-together." He held up three fingers. "Well, I'm just saying . . ." 'Just shoot me!'

"I think it's sweet of Cassandra. I'm sure she'll be surprised that Mark and I dropped into town." Connie saved the day.

Avoiding everyone's gaze, Sam scooted further into the booth and Jack slid in beside her leaving adequate space between them. While Mark and Connie were practically in each other's lap, which left a huge gap between the couples.

"Hey, stop it!" Connie teased her husband, who winked and then looked over at Jack.

"Glad to see you, General O'Neill." Mark acknowledged. "You remember my wife, Connie." He put a possessive arm around his petite wife.

"Sure do." Jack nodded and extended his hand over the table. "Good to see you both again, and its Jack to, you folks."

"Okay, Jack." Connie smiled warmly when he shook her hand. "I just don't get why Sam has to call you sir or General all the time, even off base."

Sam coughed and glanced at the menu she held to her face. "Because it's proper military protocol, Con, a sign of respect. The General is my commanding officer."

"Oh." Connie's pretty features crinkled with confusion.

When Jack purposely didn't add anything, Sam set down her menu and avoiding his inquiring expression, explained to her sister-in-law with a curt tone meant for Jack. "In the military a subordinate needs permission to be informal. Just like General O'Neill addresses Dad-."

"As Dad or Jacob. Long before I got promoted to General, Jacob let me call him Dad, but that was his equitable decision and-" Sam pinched Jack's thigh-hard. Ow! He winced and eyeballed her a moment. "I do, however, wish to clarify that years ago I gave Samantha permission to call me Jack off duty. But you know Sam with rules and regulations. She's such a good little soldier." He gestured to pat her but Sam's deadly glower stopped him.

"Do we ever." Mark grinned at Sam and didn't seem to notice the tension between her and Jack.

"Yep, that's my Colonel by the book no matter what. Never breaks the regs."

Another pinch and twist! That did it. He snatched her offending hand and set it on her lap, allowing his fingers to rest where the skirt's slit fell open against her bare thigh. Wow, no pantyhose. He felt her tense beneath his lingering touch. Her skin felt satiny smooth and hot! So was he-hot!

"For the rest of the weekend I'm making it an order, Carter. I'm calling you, Sam-Samantha and you're calling me Jack." He waggled a brow daring her to defy him. Instead felt her nails scrap across the top of his hand before prying it off of her thigh. He let her.

"But si-"

"Nah ah!" He flagged a pointer finger. "Don't argue with your CO."

Connie laughed, while Mark sat back with a brooding air that warned Jack to watch his six, if that was possible.

~*~

Cassandra Fraiser had yet to show.

Connie Carter watched the restrained but defined interaction of her sister-in-law and Jack O'Neill with the analytical mind of a marriage counselor and the heart of a woman.

The earlier strain between the two had long dissolved. Now everything about them was remarkably refreshing. Sam and Jack were so in tune that Connie swore they were a couple or for that matter, married for as long as she and Mark, which was nearing twenty years. She noted how within minutes, they'd physically gravitated toward each other. They were practically in each other's lap. Because of his long legs Jack had assumed a casual pose, his left arm draped over the booth's back, hand cradling Sam's shoulder in a familiar way with which she seemed comfortable. And whenever possible she'd leaned into his hand as if seeking reassurance. For what, Connie wasn't sure. Meanwhile, Jack responded with the slight squeeze of his lean fingers. Touch was most definitely an intricate part of their complicated relationship.

Connie noticed something else unique about their unspoken dialogue. She'd only seen it in a few older couples, but never anything this complex. Sam and Jack had developed an intimate sign language. And it was not Morris Code. Yet when Jack tapped his fingers on the table, Sam responded positively or negatively. But she always responded, even tapping herself upon occasion. When Jack reacted Connie knew it wasn't one-sided. Amazing!

Then there were their exchanged looks and expressions, especially Jack's. The General was a man of many facades. Some of them were blatantly in your face. Others expressions barely detectable, but Sam seemed to read him like a book. And the same applied to her. Jack knew his former second in command in a very intimate way. Which made Connie wonder if they'd ever broken the military code of fraternization. If they hadn't physically, they had unquestionably done so in their hearts.

Connie glanced at her husband who stared dumbfounded when Sam laughed and snorted at another not so hilarious joke, Jack just told. She studied Sam's radiant countenance and generous smile. A smile that touched her brilliant blue eyes and a smile only Jack O'Neill could extort.

As different as they were, Jack and Sam complimented each other. For instance, Jack ordered Sam's meal and 'Ms. I Am Air Force' didn't bat an eye. Not because she wasn't capable or he was her CO, but because she trusted him. Jack knew she liked her steak medium-rare with mushrooms and not just any mushrooms, no. Shiitake mushrooms in a light red wine sauce with garlic mashed potatoes on the side.

Jack was about to order a shrimp pasta dish when Sam reminded him that he got sick on it last year. So he ordered stuffed pork-chops and groused she'd better not eat his stuffing. As if oblivious to Connie and Mark's presence, Sam teased he would have to eat fast, and then pinched him somewhere Connie preferred not to imagine. But did.

Flinching from her physical barb, Jack muttered, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander, Sam." They laughed and then started heckling each other nonstop. Their issues ranged from fishing, a hand-crocheted Homer Simpson something or another, Jack sleeping with a plastic white bowl, to arm-wrestling remarks that Connie and from the look on Mark's face, were clueless about.

The sexual sparkage between them wore Connie down! She had seen Sam with Pete on several occasions and never once had Sam looked this radiant and happy. Jack O'Neill might be older than Connie preferred for her sister-in-law, but there was no denying their chemistry was magic. And more apparent, they were in love!

No wonder Cassandra was trying to set them up. And from Mark's tight expression, Connie and Cassandra weren't the only ones aware of with whom Samantha was in love. So why was she dating dull, but nice Pete Shanahan? If it was just the military regulations, why oh, why, hadn't one of them done something about it! Connie intended to find out!

~*~

CHAPTER FIVE

Mark and Sam were dancing. Jack wished he were holding Sam and waltzing to the romantic music. At least it wasn't Pete. Of whom no one had yet to mention. Not that Jack was complaining.

"I'm glad they're getting along again." Connie toyed with her desert and glanced at Jack's pensive expression.

"Um, yeah, right. Me too." He snapped back to reality and sat straighter realizing he'd been staring at Sam and zoning.

"Any immediate family with the O'Neill clan?"

"No. Not living. Just some uncles and cousins, but we keep in touch." He pinched a smile.

"So Doctor Jackson, Murray, Cassandra and Sam are your family now."

"Guess so," he said evasively, glanced at his cell-phone and frowned. Dang, he'd left Cassandra two messages, each one a little more annoying. He'd finally plugged into her head, but even that seemed to have a busy signal. Where was that girl!

"Sam said you called the team your kids."

'Yes, well," Jack grimaced. "Things have changed since I became base commander. Everyone's moving on, getting lives. But long as my kids are happy. I'm happy." He sensed sympathy in her brown gaze. He didn't want pity!

"And what about your happiness?"

"Excuse me?"

"It doesn't have to be this way, ya know." She glanced at the dance floor and his gaze tracked to where Sam and Mark danced. They were talking. He wondered about what? Dad? Him? Pete?

"Sam's crazy about you, Jack."

"Whatchaya talking about?" He traced his middle finger in the watermark on the table. He couldn't believe he'd taken her bait.

"You and Samantha."

He almost put his neck out turning to face the pretty brunette. "Look, Connie, I don't know what you think's going on. But there's no way, me and Sam . . .I'm her CO, for crying out loud!"

"And I'm a marriage counselor, Jack."

"Yeah, she told me." His gut began to ache and he glanced around like a cornered rabbit.

"So'd she tell you, I deal with dysfunctional relationships?"

"Well, no. Hey," he turned defensive. "You saying Carter and me are dysfunctional?"

"Actually, no."

"Well that's a relief!" Had he just agreed that he and Sam were a couple? Double crap!

"In fact you guys are one of the most amazing examples of a functional relationship I've ever seen. It's just . . ." She sighed out and looked away.

"What?" The bleat seeped out of his voice. What was wrong with him! Why did he give a rat's ass what this woman thought he and Sam supposedly had?

"To be honest, I'm detecting a huge wall of pretense and avoidance of feelings between you two-"

"Wooo! Look, Connie, I appreciate your candor, but-" 'The sheer audacity of the woman!'

"Let's dance." She stood and offered her hand.

"Um, I'm not-" Before the protest left his lips, she'd snatched his wrist and dragged him to the dance floor. Jack was pretty sure it wasn't his idea to dance with Mark's wife, but she proved light on her feet and fortunately, didn't say another word about him and Sam.

"You're an excellent dancer, Jack."

"Thanks." He gave a curt smile and looked past her to where Sam was tripping over Mark's feet. Jack grinned recalling a similar situation eight years back when Sam and Daniel had danced on this very floor and he'd cut in.

He felt Connie's assessing gaze. The woman glanced at the sibling couple and groaned. "We should rescue Sam."

"I don't think that's a . . ." Connie led him with unusual strength and then tossed him into Sam's arms, "good idea." He glanced down at an equally stunned Sam.

Connie yanked Mark's arm. "Come on, Mr. Two Left Feet, stomp on my dogs for awhile." And she led Mark into the next dance.

"So." Jack stared at Sam while his right arm gravitated around her waist to her back and his left hand reached for hers.

"So." She worried her lower lip. "We don't have to-" She glanced at their booth.

"No. I'm fine. Unless you'd rather-?" He felt his facial muscles spasm and tried to relax.

"No!" Sam interlaced her fingers through his and they began to dance. Jack's heart raced so fast he thought he was having the big one. At least he'd die happy.

"This is kinda awkward." She said against his chest.

"Yeah, it's getting there." Still he drew her closer. Couldn't help it. Didn't want to. Sam didn't resist and they held each other's tentative gaze. "You are beautiful, Sam." The words left his mouth before he could recant them. "So hot!"

She choked and then sputtered, "Really?" Blushing under his sensual gaze.

"Yeah."

"Wow!"

"You are hot, Babe." He winked suggestively. And then a song, neither had heard in ages wafted on the air like the ghostly spirit of Christmas past, a reminder of what they'd had lost and needed to find . . . their way back home.

'I know it's been some time But there's something on my mind You see I haven't been the same Since that cold November day We said we needed space But all we found was an empty place And the only things I learned Is that I need you desperately So here I am And can you please tell me . . . (oh)'

In sync, they looked into each other's eyes, long, hungry, hurting gazes that said more than words. They were two broken hearts trying to find their way back to each other. Again.

'Where do broken hearts go Can they find their way home Back to the open arms Of a love that's waiting there And if somebody loves you Won't they always love you I look in your eyes And I know that you still care for me'

Neither one's feet moved as they slipped from the formal dance stance to an intimate embrace. Jack's arms lowered, his hands drifting down the slender contour of Sam's ribs to encircle her waist and urge her nearer. Sam complied, her hands latching around the tensed cords of his neck while her fingers caressed his short nape hairs. Her touch was so electrifying it hurt.

'I've been around enough to know That dreams don't turn to gold'

Swaying in sync, the lyrics exposed their hearts to each other and to the world. Jack longed to cradle her delicate face as he used to, and dip his head to brush his lips over hers, to taste what had long been denied him and would be forever if she married Pete. 'Tell her, you fool! Just say those three words . . .'

'And that there is no easy way No you just can't run away And what we had was so much more Than we ever had before

'And no matter how I try You're always on my mind So here I am And can you please tell me (oh)'

Sam's body shuddered against him, her fingers bit through the fabric of his shirt and into his shoulder blades as she held on for dear life. Was she crying? He pulled back and gazed down to see her eyes glistening with unshed tears that broke his heart and shattered his defenses. "I'm sorry, Sam." He whispered into her hair. She sucked another sobbing breath.

'And now that I am here with you I'll never let you go I look into your eyes And now I know, now I know

And if somebody loves you Won't they always love you I look in your eyes And I know that you still care . . .for me You still care for me . . .'

"Geez, Sam, I wish things were different, wish-" he gently caressed her stiff spine in the soothing way he knew she liked. You knew how much I love you!

"Forever okay. I'm here for you, Sam. Forever and for always . . ." And then she bolted from his arms toward the restroom. Jack stood there watching her retreat and knowing he had no right to pursue her.

~*~

Cassandra Fraiser-O'Neill stood in the shadows of O'Malley's watching her mother's quick exit from the dance floor. Gosh golly! That's not how it was supposed to go down. This was their song, their chance to make it right! She glanced at her father as he scrubbed his hands over his face and into his short gray hair. Cass caught the painful longing in his eyes before he donned his trademark O'Neill cynical expression. What was she going to do with him? With Mom? How could two people so desperately in love, be so messed up! 'God help her? No, help them? Please?'

~*~

In the women's restroom, Sam splashed water on her flushed face. What had just happened? Who'd selected their song? She'd not heard it since the night she'd gotten snookered right here at O'Malley's. The night Jack came and took her home, bathed her, put her to bed and slept with her. He'd held her close and let her babble about only heaven knows what, but he had. She still didn't remember much about that night, but she did know he'd been there for her. Always.

Leaning against the coolness of the ceramic wall, Sam clenched and unclenched her fists in frustration. Every time she shut her eyes, she saw Jack's rugged, handsome, boyish face. How could one man be so multi-faceted? Jack O'Neill could be a kick-ass in your face CO one minute, and the next, deliver that mischievous lopsided mouthful of dimples that could charm the pants off a Goa'uld System Lord, not to mention his big mouth.

Oh yeah, she loved that big kissable mouth that was open more than it was shut. Even when not talking his lips remained slightly parted, as if he was on the verge of saying something or not. And his lisp was so maddening sexy, especially when he used it on her. "Samantha." She heard him in her head.

Sam's vulnerable recap settled on Jack's eyes. They weren't big blue eyes like Pete. No, they were deep-set, mysteriously dark and sultry. And with his long brown lashes well, sometimes, when he shut his eyes, she had to fight the temptation to reach up and kiss those lashes, to feel their silky texture beneath her lips. Sam only had to revisit their last embrace to remember how it felt to have those lashes brushing her face and neck as her fingers threaded through his natural bed-head hair. Why was she going through her O'Neill laundry list-again?

Oh, Sam knew ever scar, crease, and laugh line on Jack O'Neill's craggy face and muscle-lean body, including the one below his chin that few noticed. But she knew it was there, because she'd given it to him. Though she still didn't remember when or how, she just knew she was responsible. Because he'd said she was. Either that or he was lying, but then that was one thing he didn't do with her. No, Jack didn't lie. Just like he'd not lied out there on the dance floor about how he felt for her.

So what was with her hormones going amuck around him again? It wasn't even that time of the month. Man, oh, man, he looked hot, acted hot. Felt hot! Made her hot! And where was Pete?? It'd been over two hours! Not that she missed him and that was the problem. She should. Right?

Sam tried to compose herself and stared at her flushed complexion. "Face it, Sam. You don't want Pete here. This is the best time you've had in ages. Ever since, oh, why can't I remember the last good time I had with Pete? Because they fail to compare to being with Jack, that's why."

"Sam?" Connie poked her wavy brown head into the bathroom's lounge. "You okay?"

"Yeah. Sure." Sam pulled herself together and turned to smile at her sister-in-law.

"You gotta see this, Sam. Cassandra's here. She and Jack are line dancing! I laughed so hard I almost wet my panties. They're really good. That man can dance!"

"I know." Sam forced a smile. "Um, I'll be right there."

"Okay. They are like two of a kind. I don't know who's worse. Just like father and daughter . . ." And then Sam started crying.

"Hey!" Connie came to her side and putting her arm around Sam drew her to the loveseat. "What's wrong, honey?"

"Everything!"

"Yeah, figured that out awhile ago."

"Huh?" Sam grabbed a tissue from the tissue box and blew.

"Look, sis. We've become pretty close these last five years, right?"

"Erm, sure, especially since Janet died. Yeah, you've been there for me, Con."

"Good. So can I be candid with you?"

"You always are." Sam wiped her damp eyes and blew.

"Well, not like I'd like to be. Mark keeps telling me it's none of my business and I suppose he's right. But I love you, Sam, and I want you to be happy."

"Hey, I am happy! Just been a stressful week at work and well, I'm PMSing big time." 'Liar!'

"That's not what I'm talking about." Connie gently directed Sam's face to hers.

"Huh?"

"After being married to a Carter for nearly twenty years, I've begun to think and talk like one. So I won't pull any punches. You're not in love with Pete."

"What! That's nuts. Insane. Of course, I'm in love with Pete."

Connie just looked at her. "It would appear you plan to make the biggest mistake of your life if you ask me."

"I didn't ask!" Sam stiffened.

"Sam. For the last three hours I've been watching you and Jack."

"Con-"

She held up a hand. "Let me finish and then I'll shut up and never bring it up again--maybe!"

Sam begrudgingly nodded. No doubt she needed to hear a few words of wisdom from another woman.

"That fifty something General dancing his heart out like a twenty-year old is crazy about you, Sam! I don't ever recall Mark looking at me the way Jack looks at you. It's almost like there's some spiritual bond between you two. Like you're each other's godsend."

Sam opened her mouth but Connie waved her hand in reprimand. "Not done yet! Mark and I have suspected for sometime that you two were in love. But the regulations you both highly respect and your present roles at the mountain keep you from acting on those feelings. I don't know what's gone down between now and then but I was shocked when you started dating Pete. Don't get me wrong, Pete's okay, but he's not Jack O'Neill, Sam. So why are you settling for less?"

"Now wait just one minute!"

"No!" Connie was in her face. "I see the way you look at him. The way you finish each other's sentences. You two have history, Sam. And I can only imagine what it all entails. That man loves you and you are breaking his heart!"

"Enough!" Sam shot to her feet and got in Connie's face, "Jack O'Neill shoved me out of his personal life, long ago! And when he took the position as base CO he made it perfectly clear we have no future together! That's why I'm with Pete."

Connie didn't back down. "You so sure, Sam? Did it ever occur that since you were already dating Pete, Jack believed you'd made your choice and it wasn't him?"

Sam swallowed hard and stared at her wise sister-in-law.

"Think about it, Sam. Mark and I want you happy and from where I'm standing, you're the most miserable woman in the world. And the happiness your heart really wants is out on that dance floor, making a fool out of himself over you. Geez, Sam, do you have any idea how many women would die for a man like Jack O'Neill?" With that, Connie turned and walked out of the bathroom's lounge.

"Yeah, Connie, I do."

~*~

CHAPTER SIX

Breathless, Jack swung Cassandra one last time before his knee buckled. "Ow!" He flinched in pain as he hobbled with her assistance back to the booth.

"You okay, Dad?" Cassandra's concerned voice made him smile.

"Sure, Sunshine, just need to lay off the leg awhile. That's all."

When Connie went to the bar for an ice pack, Mark donned a concerned but wry expression. "That's why I stick to waltzes and the twist, Jack."

"Funny." Jack smiled at the younger man, and then noticed Sam coming their way. Her fair features were pale and her blue eyes appeared red. She had been crying!

"Si . . Jack, you okay?" She knelt beside Cassandra and touched his knee through his tan khakis.

"For the second time, yes. Just aches a little."

"Ahh, Dad, its swollen pretty good. You really need to have this taken care of."

"Look, Ms. Pre-pre-med, I've had enough scopes and scrapings to start a calcium bank. No one is poking around in my knee again!"

"Whatever." She snickered and grinned up at him.

Jack grinned back.

"You really need to get home, Jack." Sam advised.

"Sam that's twice you called him, Jack."

"Yes, well, he made it an order for tonight."

"The weekend." Jack corrected.

"Cool!" Cassandra hugged Sam, who hugged her back.

It was after ten pm and Joe was setting up for Karaoke Night. Jack was relieved he'd be leaving soon, because the last thing he needed was to listen to wannabe singers who didn't even sound good in the shower. To his dismay, Cassandra got all excited and he noticed her talking to the one of the men setting up the sound equipment.

Sitting back at their booth Jack started sucking down bottled water, as did Sam. They'd both grown quiet and had barely talked since their emotional dance. Meanwhile, Mark and Connie were quickly fading and opted to drive Sam's car to her place and crash in the guestroom, with Jack and Cassandra assuring them, Sam would get home.

Cassandra did her pretty please whining routine and convinced Jack and Sam to stay until she preformed a song. She had a pretty good voice and he'd taught her to play the guitar, not to mention she'd sung in the high school choir and a few musicals at school.

After two singers who thankfully would remain forgetful and nameless, Cassandra took the stage.

"Jack?" Sam looked at him nervously, no doubt wondering what the teen had up her sleeve.

"Look," he avoided their mutual concern. "No matter what she does, we smile and applaud." He reasoned trying to un-scrunch his facial muscles.

"Of course." Sam smiled. "Just wish Janet could see this."

"I've always believed there are windows in Heaven." He winked.

Cassandra took the handheld microphone. "This song is dedicated to the two people I love most in this world and who just need a huge nudge. I hope you two bullheads get it."

"Oy!" Jack braced in his seat and felt Sam tense up beside him. As the familiar Melissa Manchester music started he stole a glance at Sam, who was looking everywhere but at him. Talk about awkward.

'She's so very nice you should break the ice Let her know that she's on your mind Whatcha tryin' to hide when you know inside She's the best thing you'll ever find? Ahh, can't you see it? Don't you think she's feeling the same? Ahh, I guarantee it, She's the one that's calling your name'

"Really?" Jack whispered in Sam's ear.

She blushed and nodded.

"Sweet!"

'You should hear how she talks about you, You should hear what she says She says she would be lost without you, She's half out of her head (out of her head) You should hear how she talks about you, She just can't get enough. She says she would be lost without you She is really in love.'

Cassandra pointed at Jack and said, "She's in love with you boy!"

Flustered, Jack wanted to crawl under the table, which meant encountering Sam's beautiful naked legs. Now there was a novel idea! Except his knee would hate him for it in the morning. Sensing his emotional distress, Sam placed her hand on his ice-packed, draped knee. He tentatively laced his fingers through hers and his blush turned to a smile.

'I ain't tellin' tales, anybody else Could repeat the things that I've heard She's been talkin' sweet and it's on the street How our girlfriend's spreadin' the word

Ahh, you should hurry, You should let her know how you feel Ahh, now don't you worry If you're scared her love is for real'

Sam and Jack smiled intimately at each other. He wanted to kiss her but like all things in their warped relationship that wasn't about to happen.

'You should hear how she talks about you, You should hear what she says She says she would be lost without you, She's half out of her head (out of her head) You should hear how she talks about you, She is really in love (She is really in love)

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk

Can'tcha see? (Can'tcha see?) It's me!'

Cassandra pointed at Sam, who turned her flushed face to Jack's shoulder!

'Oh, what she said, what she said . . .'

~*~

The stranger hovered in the shadows of O'Malley's watching the young woman on stage sing her heart out for one particular couple. Anger, rage and jealousy heated his blood as he tried to stay focused. Nine months into this mission he couldn't back out. Too much was a stake. Besides he valued his life. He just hadn't planned on falling for the mark. Well, he was a firm believer that he could have his cake and eat it too. That old man didn't know it, but his lopsided smirk was about to be wiped off of his face for good!

After Cassandra finished the chorus she got a huge round of applause and took a bow, but not before winking at her parents who were discreetly trying to blend into the woodwork. Cass knew she'd taken a chance performing this song where SGC personal hung out. She also hoped Dad or Mom didn't hurt her, but could already hear the wheels turning in Dad's Ancient head. Yeah sure yabetcha, her credit card was about to get axed. No matter, a smile split Cassandra's face. Holy Hannah, it'd been worth it!

~*~

Throughout the night Jack had kept tabs on O'Malley's patrons. Unless he'd missed someone, there'd not been a soul from the SGC. Meanwhile, he was contemplating the most efficient way to penalize his daughter. After conspiring with Sam, they'd agreed to drop her credit card limit to a thousand bucks for the rest of the year! A grin split his countenance. Sam grinned back.

By now the aspirins and icepack had kicked in and Jack figured he could drive. But Sam and Cassandra refused him because he'd have to use the clutch. Jack had intended for Cass to bunk at his place, so Sam offered to drive so Cass could drive her own car to his house.

Still no mention of Pete! Yes. Jack was starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. God was good!

~*~ 2330 Hours

Cassandra had left. Jack excused himself to visit the head while Sam waited by the rear exit door. Jack was rehearsing his conversation for the twenty-five minute drive home. Somehow, someway he had to reconcile with Sam. And if that went well, he was calling in one of those markers with President Hayes. He and Sam belonged together and tonight he was going to lay it on the line. He felt nauseous and giddy at the same time. Was that possible?

~*~

Thanks to Cassandra's public prodding, Sam's stomach was in her throat. This was it! She had to tell Jack how she felt. Tonight. Sink or swim. Because if she didn't do it while she had the nerve, it wouldn't happen. She'd just settle back into her comfortable routine with Pete who was stuck in Denver with work related issues. Still, she suspected he had marriage on the brain and she needed to nip that in the bud quick. No way could she marry Pete, not after what had happened between her and Jack tonight. All she needed was a plan to give him back his ring.

Jack's sexy lisped declaration played over and over her head. "You're beautiful, Sam. So hot! Forever okay. I'll be here for you. Forever and for always." They both knew what 'forever okay' meant. He still loved her! Always!

"Sam!"

She jumped at the sound of that familiar voice.

"Gosh, Hon, I'm sorry. I tried to get away earlier, but hey, I'm here now!" He swept her into his arms and hugged her.

Sam pushed gently but firmly away. "Pete?" She blinked again, praying he wasn't real. But his goofy little boy smile was just inches from her face.

"Hey, aren't you glad to see me?" He touched her cheek with a hurt look.

"Of course I . . .I just didn't expect . . ." He started to lead her to the front door.

"I was so afraid I'd miss you, but Mark said you were still here."

"He um did?" The louse! She glanced toward the men's restroom but didn't spot Jack-yet.

"Yeah." He turned her into his arms and smiled. "Hey, you alright?"

"Sure." She gave a quick smile, eyes skirting the patrons. 'Please, God, don't let Jack see . . .' And then Pete kissed her!

~*~

A shit ass grin on his face, Jack limped out of the restroom and glanced toward the rear exist. 'Um, no, Sam. Maybe she's gone to start the truck.' The keys rattled in his pocket, nope. He was about to walk to where they'd been seated when he saw 'them' locked in an embrace.

Sam was kissing Pete! What the f*@+!

Jack wished he had his 9mil revolver. Usually he did. 'Yeah right, you're going to blow some guy's brains out because he's Sam's boyfriend and is kissing her in public and from the looks of it, she doth not protest!'

Bile backwashed into Jack's throat, and that other stupid song played . . . again . . .while in quiet desperation Jack watched the woman he loved kiss another man.

'I always thought that I'd do something crazy If ever saw you out with someone else But when the moment came last night I couldn't say a word, I stood there in the dark all by myself.'

'Yeah, I could of said a million things All I did was keep it locked inside It's getting better all the time It's getting better all the time . . .'

Picking up his trampled pride and battered heart Jack limped along the shadows, out the front door and out of Samantha Carter's life. Forever and for always!

~*~

Desperate, Sam broke free of Pete's embrace.

"Hey, what's wrong, Babe?" Pete fumbled as she sped for the back door. With Pete on her heels, Sam hightailed it through the door and into the cool spring's night to see Jack climbing into his truck.

As if sensing her there, Jack turned and called out as he started the engine, "Have a good life, Carter." Then putting his foot to the floor he burned rubber.

Sam's heart plunged to her feet. For all that mattered, he could have said, "See you Monday, Carter." But she knew that's not what he meant. It was over!

"Hey, Sam." Pete, fortunately just saw Jack's taillights. "What's up?"

"Nothing!" Sam spat and immediately felt guilty as he looked at her with those hurtful drooping eyes. "Sorry, just thought it was someone I knew. I was wrong." She walked toward the bar and grill. "Very wrong."

"Hey, Babe, if Mark's got your car how'd you expect to get home?"

"Knew you'd show," she lied berating herself. Still, she didn't want to be alone with her morbid thoughts of what ifs. "Pete, please do me a huge favor?"

"Anything." He eased his arm around her and she leaned into him for support.

"Do not ever call me, Babe!"

~*~ Part 2 of Part 16 'Forever And For Always' to follow.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 2 - Crap! So Not Going Fishing! by HailDorothy
Crap! So Not Going Fishing! - Part 2 - Chosen Heart Series

Crap! So Not Going Fishing! - Part 2 - Chosen Heart Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: Jack and Sam are not happy campers. SG-1 is formed and Jack and Sam must chose what comes first, God, country, or their 'Chosen hearts.' It will be a bittersweet choice.
Category: Angst, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Romance, Series
Episode Related: Stargate - The Movie, 101 Children of the Gods
Season: Season 1
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: adult themes, language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-30

Title: Crap! So Not Going Fishing!!/ Chosen Hearts Series Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Category: Humor/Angst/Romance Warnings: Some bad language Pairing: Jack/Sam Season: S1 Spoilers: Stargate Movie, 101- Children Of The Gods Rating: GEN File Size: 112 KB

Summary: Follows 'Charade.' Jack and Sam are not happy campers. SG-1 is formed and Jack and Sam must chose what comes first, God, country, or their 'Chosen hearts.' It will be a bittersweet choice.

Chosen Hearts Series summary: Please read the first novella Charade the setup for, Chosen Hearts Series, that will include Black Ops flashbacks, and references to Charade. Other than the twists I've first introduced and a few along the way, this series is canon based. Though not chronological written the series starts with 'Charade', Jack and Sam's first romantic encounter to present SG-1 season whether S8, S9 or S10.

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series may include script excerpts from the TV Series Stargate SG-1. Said author is not acquiring profit for the work of said fiction. This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy 2004 (c).

Song: Weekend In New England (c) Barry Manilow

Beta Thanks: To Carol Sue - you continue to amaze and humble me. Thanks for the sewing line. Special Thanks: To God Almighty for the gift of the bards.

CHAPTER ONE

Daniel floated over the Briefing Room. Seeing himself, seated at the table was just plain weird.

"So can I talk to myself, Oma?"

His mentored smiled. "No, Daniel Jackson, you can't. Unlike the present that we can interact in, we have no way of altering the past."

"Shucks."

"Why?"

"Because I remember this and later on I'm, well, I'm a little too rough on Sam."

"I am sorry, Daniel Jackson. So far the situations we've visited have been mild in comparison to what you will eventually witness as we take this pathway into their past. If you like we can stop now?"

"No!" Daniel became more upset than expected. "I mean, if showing me these things can help me influence Jack and Sam's lives for the better in the future, than let's do this."

Oma smiled. "So be it. Look upon the remnants of the lives, Daniel Jackson, and how these threads are intricately woven into what has yet come to pass. " ~*~

Briefing Room: 1400

Crap! They were so not going fishing!

His chin resting on his left hand, index finger tapping his temple, Jack stared across the conference table at his new 2IC Captain Samantha Carter. His girlfriend - on hold! The woman he loved - on hold! Crap, his whole freaking life - on hold! Releasing a silent sigh, he stared at the table and dropped his hand, clasping it with his right, before he started drumming the tabletop. Again.

"Then you agree, Colonel O'Neill?"

Uh! Jack straightened in his chair and glanced sharply in General Hammond's direction. Dang, what had he asked him?

Kawalsky smirked.

Daniel shrugged.

Desperate, he glanced at Sam.

She winked subtly and gave him a soft smile. "I've no doubt, General, that the Colonel stands in full agreement. SG-1 will designate some suitable planets of destination for our next mission." She looked across the table at Jack for his approval and confirmation.

"Oh, absolutely, General." Jack jumped in and then felt the jab of Daniel's shoe against his right shin. He winced and scowled at the linguist. "And I'm more than certain that Captain Carter and Doctor Jackson will determine which planets. Captain? Daniel?"

Jack loved delegating. He gloated at Daniel.

Daniel nailed him again! Jack almost kicked back, but decided to behave, for now. They had been at it since yesterday. Jack concluded, since Apophis abducted Sha're, the frustrated Daniel had chosen Jack for target practice.

"We'll do our best, Sir, with Teal'c's help, of course." Sam smiled back and then frowned at Jack.

"I will endeavor to be of assistance, Captain Carter." Teal'c nodded, apparently pleased to be included in the briefing. Of course, it was difficult to read the Jaffa's face, let alone his mind. Jack had no idea if the man could smile. Seemed he had perfected the scowl though. 'Useful, I suppose, in the right situations.' Teal'c would take some getting used to.

Trouble was Hammond still didn't trust Teal'c and Jack was trying his best to convince the general Teal'c could be trusted. Allowing him to attend this briefing had been the first small step.

Standing, General Hammond nodded. "Good. It's a go two weeks from today at 0800 when we'll decide which addresses to visit first."

"That long, General?" Daniel groused sending a look of desperation Jack's way.

"Colonel O'Neill and I have discussed your situation, Doctor Jackson, and understand your sense of urgency. However, we've others to consider. Captain Carter has to find housing, return to DC and pack. Ferretti needs to recover from his injuries. Furthermore, you all have your offices to settle into here. And of course, I expect those addresses decided on by that briefing."

No one looked happy.

Hammond sighed. "I'd rather give you a month, but pushing this project out just two weeks is tight enough. The President wants immediate action. So, I expect you people, to do whatever's necessary to tie up any personal responsibilities. Once we start our missions, I doubt there'll be much downtime. I insist you each have base quarters and make them comfortable. We're in this for the long haul, people."

Daniel breathed out with resignation.

The rest followed suit. Jack met Sam's ambivalent gaze and held it. Her blue eyes shimmered with regret. Clearing his throat, his CO persona kicked in and he looked back at the Texan who was still talking.

"Good. Then SG-1 and SG-2 you are dismissed for some well deserved downtime. And, Doctor Jackson, if you need help with off base housing I'll put you in contact with the base residence services." He rose take his leave.

"Thank you, General." Daniel nodded as he got to his feet. "But I'd rather stay at the SGC for now."

"As you wish, Doctor." Hammond nodded.

Jack grimaced. He knew Daniel hoped to find Sha're ASAP. The last thing Daniel wanted was to setup permanent residence on earth, unless of course, Sha're was with him. Jack couldn't fight the gut ache he had about that prospect. But he sure wasn't going to discourage his friend. God willing, Sha're would be found and the stinking snake removed from her head and exploded to smithereens. Jack would love the honors of blowing it up.

Doodling on his note pad, Jack felt a pair of feminine blue eye staring at him. He looked up. Yep, there they were, attached to that pretty, fair-complexioned face. Sam tipped her head and arched her brows. Oh yeah, that.

"Um, Daniel, you can crash at my house if you want?" Jack couldn't believe he'd offered, but he had. How did she do that? Make him do stuff he wouldn't otherwise do. And now did!

Sam smiled her approval.

Jack sighed.

"You mean that, Jack?" Daniel squinted at him like he had two heads.

"Oh. Well, hey. I wouldn't have offered if I didn't mean it." He winced.

"Okay. Sure. I'd like that. That's if it's not a problem."

Well it was. "No problem, Danny." Jack nodded and then gave Sam his, 'hope you're happy' look.

She grinned. Yep she was happy. That made it worthwhile.

The team milled around the room and Jack collected his reports. Sam had walked around the table and was chatting with Daniel and Teal'c, while Kawalsky gathered up his paperwork.

Daniel seemed to bounce back at Sam's warm chitchat. Who wouldn't? "Hey, we still on for helping you find a place tomorrow, Sam?" Daniel cleaned his glasses.

"Sure are." She beamed. "I could use all the help I can get." She glanced at Teal'c, then at Jack.

"What?"

Sam nodded at Teal'c, doing that cute turtle tuck with her chin thing.

"Oh, that?" Jack cleared his throat and looked at the Jaffa. "Hey, Teal'c, I cleared it with Hammond for you to leave the mountain for a few hours of R and R under my supervision. But I've got to have ya back before midnight. Don't want you turning into a pumpkin." Jack chuckled.

Kawalsky snorted and rubbed his temples.

Sam smiled.

Daniel grinned.

Teal'c arched one of his high brows even higher and stared at them.

"Had to be there." Jack sniffed a breath.

"Indeed."

Jack nudged Sam. "And you think my vocabulary's limited."

"It is," she snickered and then purposely walked over to speak with Teal'c.

Jack sighed at her quick sidestep. He knew Kawalsky was watching them. Heck, everyone else was. Thankfully, Samuels wasn't here. Jack didn't trust that brown nosed weasel. He wondered why Hammond kept him around.

Almost on cue the man stepped out of his office and glanced at the mingling officers. "Colonel O'Neill, Captain Carter?"

They turned in unison.

"After you've squared things away with your team members, I'd like to see you individually in my office before you leave base. You first, Colonel."

"Of course, Sir." Jack nodded. Crap! Now what?

"Yes, Sir." Sam acknowledged and paled slightly.

Jack glanced over and hedged a smile. She did her turtle chin lift and tuck and then looked away. He managed to rebound fast. "So anyone for steak and beers? My treat." He scrubbed his hands together.

"Since I'm probably penniless, count me in." Daniel grinned.

"Me too," Kawalsky spoke up, "Think you can cover SG-2 for tonight, Jack?"

"Hey, said I'm buying."

"Great. But we'll have to bring some back for Ferretti. He likes his steak well-done."

"Can do." Jack smiled.

"I've got my own car and some errands to run first," Charlie added. "And plain to load up on aspirin."

"Still got those headaches?" Jack winced at his friend's pained expression.

"Yeah stress I guess. I'll be fine. Really."

Jack rubbed his jaw in concern, but let it go. "Okay, O'Malley's at 1700. Daniel, you're with me."

The linguist nodded. "I'll fetch my stuff and met you topside."

"Major, Teal'c, Daniel and I'll go home, change and pick you both up here at 1630 topside."

They agreed. Leaving his binder on the table, Jack turned to meet his CO. Why did he have such a bad feeling about this?

"Sir?" Sam called out.

"Captain?" He glanced back as casually as possible.

"Good luck." He met the anxious unease in her topaz gaze.

"Don't need luck, Carter." He smiled. "But prayer'll come in handy."

A flicker of surprise crossed her face. "Certainly, Sir."

Daniel and Teal'c glanced at their friends, while Kawalsky remained incognito.

"Everything, all right, Jack, Sam?" Daniel quietly pressed, glancing at Hammond's open door.

"Hope so." Jack quickened his gait toward the dragon's dungeon, feeling warmer with each step.

"Sure," Kawalsky insisted. "Hammond had me in there an hour before the briefing. It's just routine maintenance."

"Oh, sure," Sam sighed. "That makes sense, you know."

"Yeah and the Tooth Fairy's gay," Jack muttered before he rapped on Hammond's open door, feeling like he'd drank gut rot for lunch.

~*~

"Come on in, Jack."

He entered and saluted the man.

Hammond returned the salute from his chair.

"You wished to speak with me, General?"

George nodded. "Close the door, will you, son?"

"Certainly, General." Dang! Closed doors so not cool! He was already sweating under his armpits. Another soiled shirt to wash. If Hammond had found out about him and Sam, he'd crap his pants.

"Have a seat." Hammond indicated the two chairs.

"Rather stand, Sir."

"As you wish." Hammond leaned back and smiled. "At ease, Colonel."

"I am, Sir." Jack stood with his arms clasped behind him, staring ahead. At ease? What a dumb order.

"If you say so, son." The general chuckled at Jack's tight muscled stance.

"I do, Sir."

"Okay, Jack, let's start over, shall we. I am your superior officer -."

"Yes, you are, General Hammond, Sir."

"Umm, okay." George rolled his pale blue eyes. "And as of this moment I am assigning you my 2IC of the SGC."

"You . . .are, Sir?" Jack immediately relaxed, stuffed his hands in his front pockets and rocked on his heels. He couldn't help but grin.

"Yes. You're all right with that I assume?"

"Oh, yes, Sir. I consider it an honor, General Hammond, Sir!" He saluted again.

"Jack?"

"Yes, Sir."

"You can downsize on the formal address."

"You sure, Sir?"

"Jack!"

"Ah. Fine. Okay. I can do that." His smile broadened.

"But I expect nothing less than your respect and proper form of address when anyone else is present."

"Yeah sure yabetcha."

George smiled, then flat lined. "First things first, son. I've can not allow Teal'c to go topside with you tonight or any other time for that matter."

"Sir?" Jack scowled. "He's looking forward to it."

"Jack, it's not something I care to admit, but you caught me at weak moment before. In fact he should never have been at this briefing. Until I hear from my superiors on this matter, he's restricted to quarters with twenty-four hour surveillance."

"With all due respect, Teal'c is already under-surveillance and restricted to quarters."

"And it will stay that way." George was firm.

"Crap!"

"Colonel!"

"He risked his life and saved my team's lives and Daniel's, Sir. Doesn't that count for anything?" Jack was so freaking frustrated, he kicked the wall. "Damn!"

"Colonel O'Neill!" Hammond's blue eyes bugged-out and his bald head stained red.

"Sorry, Sir. But I trust him."

"And I don't. And that is the end of this matter for now. Understood?"

"Yes, Sir."

"So, tell me, son, how do you feel about Captain Carter being your 2IC of SG-1? Any problems with having a woman as your 2IC?"

Personal feeling aside, Jack tried for positive. "I've served with women before. Just not in combat situations or in the capacity as my 2IC. So I admit its been weird, but I'm dealing, Sir."

Hammond seemed to contemplate Jack's words and tone. "I could reassign her to Kawalsky's team."

Jack was shaking his head before George finished. "With all due respect, Sir, I don't think that's wise."

"And why's that, son?"

Jack glanced out the window just as Charlie exited the briefing room. "The Major already voiced his concerns about working with Carter."

"I believe you did the same thing right after you met her, Jack, and with an audience of fellow officers."

Dang! His gut instinct was right. Hammond was onto them. "Yes, well, once you made it an order, I adjusted to the idea. The major didn't."

"I see. Then Kawalsky's team isn't a good match for her." George looked back at Jack for affirmation.

"No, Sir." Jack met the contemplative gaze of his CO and nodded. Yep, he was getting sick all right.

"The we agree, Carter's gender is no longer an issue with you, Colonel?"

"No, it's no longer an issue, Sir." He patted his pockets and found his pen.

"So any other matters you want to discuss about the captain?"

"Assuming you want honesty here?"

"I expect nothing less, Jack."

He plopped down in the chair. "She's a freaking scientist!" He tossed his hands in the air and then dropped them in his lap with frustration. "All her techno babble is driving me wacko!"

"Yes she is, and a darn good one according to your report." He tapped the files in front of him. "And despite her driving you wacko, your report speaks highly of her performance in the field, under adverse combat situations, not to mention that she saved your team's ass with her technical and physics skills."

"That she did, Sir."

"Then you agree her being a scientist will be an asset to your team?"

"Well I . . ." Jack winced and waved both pointer fingers at his CO. "Is this a trick question?"

Hammond's rich laughter chimed through the office walls and into the briefing room. Jack glanced out the window. He knew Sam had been pacing. Now she halted and tipped her cute blond head, curiosity lighting her eyes.

"No trick question, Jack. Because no matter what you say, I insist you give Captain Carter a fair shake to prove her worth, after which, you can decide whether she stays or goes."

"You mean that, Sir?" He smiled, contemplating how to get Sam out from under his command. Maybe once the new teams were formed. Yeah.

"Yes." Hammond leaned over his desk. "Jack, I hope that in time we come to know each other, trust each other, and become friends."

"I'd like that, Sir." Jack flinched on the sir thingy.

"Good. So you must first learn is that I am a fair man who can be hard as steel when necessary. I stand a hundred percent behind my subordinates, especially when I know they are honest and upfront with me in all matters, and above all, when they give me their very best." He settled back in his leather chair. "So there will be no bull-crap like you pulled on Abydos last year. Understood?"

"Then you disagree with my not blowing up the Stargate?" Jack's features stiffened.

"Didn't say that, son. What I mean is the next time you run into that type of critical situation, trust me enough to let me make the judgment call. Let's just say, I would not be inclined to murder five thousand innocent folks either."

Jack let out a breath. Now he knew why he liked the Texan.

"But when push comes to shove, the old saying, 'the buck stops here' applies. I'm giving you a chance to prove your worth to me, Colonel, and I expect you to do the same with Carter."

Jack nodded. "I'm from the same mindset."

"Figured you were, son. So you can do one of two things regarding Carter."

"I can?" Confused, Jack's face tightened in a grimace.

"Yes. You can either cut her some slack or make her life hell."

"Another trick question, Sir?" Jack grinned.

George snorted.

"How about I play fair and do a little of both?"

"Good answer, son." He glanced out the window at Sam. "Guess, I shouldn't keep her waiting."

"Might I ask what you're going to discuss with Carter?"

"You." George stood-up stretched a bit and smiled.

'Oh,' Jack mouthed and swallowed. "Gotcha." Jack motioned to stand.

"One more thing, Colonel."

"Sir?" Jack sat back down. "I'm certain you noticed that for the present, I'm selecting personnel who are either single, divorced and childless for the nine SG teams."

"Yes, Sir."

"The President and I decided because the off world assignments are high risk, it's best if there are few personal ties to earth. It will be bad enough to inform parents and siblings if there is a causality, not to mention the security issue."

"Understood." Jack nodded.

"Good. It's obvious by your inviting your team out tonight, you realize the significance of team bonding."

"I do, Sir. We're going to become family even if it kills me." He grinned, hoping this was what his CO expected, because that's how Jack operated.

George chuckled. "I can tell we're of the same metal, son. Your lives depend on knowing each other inside and out. I suspect Teal'c might prove a challenge and to be honest I don't know if he can be completely trusted. In time we'll see. However, I sense the two of you have established a mutual trust and respect these past few weeks."

"We have."

"Nice to know. It's obvious, you and Doctor Jackson are already good friends and have a conventional trust factor."

"Oh, yeah, Jackson and me are super, Sir."

Hammond seemed to contemplate his next words. "That leaves us with Captain Carter."

"Sir?" Jack gulped. "I thought we already established I'm willing to give her a test run."

Hammond smiled slightly. "Yes you did, Jack. Now let me speak off record."

Yikes. Jack was beginning to realize that when Hammond called him by his first name, it could mean big trouble.

"Certainly, Colonel, Sir." He wondered what he did with his pen and patted his pockets, then rescued it from where it had fallen on the chair between his thighs. When he looked up he found Hammond scowling.

"Umm, sorry." He waved a hand.

"Because the captain is a woman, I'm depending on you to make certain she's treated with the utmost respect and courtesy on and off world. She knows the risks of women in combat and hostile situations. In fact she has Special Black Ops experience, including that of being a hostage in a South American rebel camp a few years back." Hammond's expression sobered even more and Jack assumed the other shoe about to fall.

The Texan knew!

"Jack, Samantha Carter was tortured and that included an attempted rape."

The memory washed over Jack like a murky sickness and he tried not to let his knowledge show. "I'm sorry to hear that, Sir." He swore his voice trembled as he glanced out at Sam, hoping she never discovered that Hammond knew.

"I'm sure you are, Colonel." George stood up and held Jack's gaze for an intense moment, then sighed heavily. "It's imperative our conversation never leave this room, Jack, but as Carter's CO, I felt you should know. Carter's a strong woman. But she needed counseling afterward. That's why she didn't go to Abydos the first time."

Guilt sluiced over him. Of course she would have needed psychotherapy. He'd even suggested it, but she'd said she'd be okay, swearing the man hadn't penetrated her. Jack had argued that it didn't matter how far the attacker got, she'd no doubt been traumatized. He was glad she went for counseling, but hoped she didn't think he'd broken his promise not to tell.

"Apparently the lead operative she was with, castrated one of the assailants, killed the other, but the third attacker got away. At least Carter saw some justice for her painful abuse."

Oy! Jack assumed Sam didn't know what Jack had to done to the man. He felt sick. "You're okay with that, Sir?"

"Damn straight I am! I'm a peaceful Christian man. But there is a point where I would have done the same." Hammond's face was beet red and Jack wondered if there was something personal here. "I have a daughter and two granddaughters, Jack. If I caught a man raping one of them, only God knows what I'd do to the S.O.B." Hammond rubbed his face in parental provocation.

Speechless, Jack could only nod. His hands fisted at his sides, he recalled the rage he'd experienced when awoken to find the three rebels bent on raping Sam. Worse, he'd not written up the incident in his preliminary report, nor had Sam. She'd begged he not tell. Only one other person could have been that detailed, the third operative, Colonel Maybourne. The stinking louse! Jack could only imagine how many eyes had seen that classified report. No doubt the President himself.

Anger worked its way into Jack's craw. He didn't give a rat's ass that he'd castrated the one man, or killed the other, only wished he'd caught the rebel leader, Miguel, who'd instigated it.

"Jack?"

Um, yes, Sir." His vision blurred by anger, he tried to focus on his CO. "Don't worry, no one will know."

"It's especially important that Captain Carter doesn't know, you know, son."

"Of course Sir. Might I ask, how many eyes have seen the report?"

"I assume a few hierarchy in the Pentagon, the Captain's former CO, you, myself and the President."

"Crap!" Jack snapped the pen in half. "Oh, sorry, Sir."

"No need to apologize. I'm not pleased this has gotten so mishandled myself."

"Can we keep it at that?"

"Of course. But I can tell you're disturbed by this news, Jack. Is this going to affect your leading her?"

"No, Sir!" Jack was so pissed he wanted to hit something or someone.

"Is there something else you want to tell me?"

Jack opened his mouth then shut it. If he told Hammond, he was the lead operative Sam would no doubt be reassigned and possible out of the SGC. Jack couldn't do that to her. More-ever he wanted her as his 2IC at least for now. It was better than not seeing her at all.

"No. I'm glad you told me and you can be assured that I will watch Carter's six at all times."

"Glad to hear that, son. Dismissed."

After saluting and leaving, Jack strolled out of the doorway and met Sam halfway.

"So?" She looked expectantly up into his eyes.

"Sew, you needling me?" He quirked a brow and grinned, surprised how quickly he could go from boiling hot to Cool Hand Luke.

"J-Sir?" She was openly frustrated.

"Carter?" He knew Hammond was listening.

"Am I still your 2IC?"

"Is that what you want?" He tipped his head, accessing her intrepid gaze.

"Do you?" She tossed back at him.

"Captain Carter?" Hammond called out.

"The Great All Knowing Oz beckons." Jack stepped aside, not answering her on purpose. Part of the hell thingy he intended to take advantage of.

"Coming, Sir." Sam looked one last time at Jack. He already knew her answer, so he nodded, catching her relieved smile.

While Sam entered Hammond's office, Jack retrieved his portfolio and papers from the conference table. As he left the briefing room, he heard Sam's laughter and glanced back.

Jack's jaw hit the floor. What the? He turned and stalked down the stairs to the control room, trying to comprehend what he'd just seen. His CO was hugging Jack's girlfriend, correction, 2IC and it wasn't a new acquaintance hug either. More like a father daughter embrace. So what else had Sam failed to tell him? Or Hammond? Jack wasn't mad, but he definitely wasn't a happy camper. ~*~

CHAPTER TWO

Teal'c wasn't surprised that Hammond had changed his mind. He politely explained that he would Kel'no-something or another, some sort of meditation for his Goa'uld tapeworm. Meanwhile, with steaks and potatoes warming their bellies, Sam distracted Daniel from thoughts of Sha're by teaching him how to do the two-step. It wasn't the prettiest sight, but watching Sam made up for that. She'd dressed conservatively and that made her even hotter to Jack. Sam in tight black jeans and a clinging emerald green blouse that defined her flat tummy and firm round breasts was so -

"Easy on the eyes, huh?" Kawalsky finished his thought.

"If you like her type." Jack rolled his stiff shoulders feigning indifference and toyed with the pickle on his plate. His gaze kept veering to Sam.

Kawalsky snorted and gestured at Sam with his beer bottle. "What's there not to like? She can obviously dance. She's gorgeous, funny, brainy, gutsy, got mile long legs, fights like a guy, is a crack shot and a dang good pilot from what I hear, but?" He glanced at Jack and sighed.

"What?" Jack mumble against the bottle's mouth.

"Can she cook?"

"Guess you'll have to ask," Jack snickered at Charlie's lame humor.

"Yeah, suppose so. But I suspect you can answer my other question."

"Shoot." Jack took another swig.

Charlie leaned over the table and whispered, "Is Captain Samantha Carter a real blonde?"

Beer sprayed out of Jack's mouth and nose.

"Whoa! Sorry, Colonel!" Kawalsky snatched up some napkins and handed them to Jack while grinning.

"Crap!" Jack choked out. "How . . .the hell . . . would I know?" He wiped his wet face with the napkins and was relieved most of the beer splattered on the floor and not in some patron's face.

"Well, I just figured-"

"Well ya figured wrong, Major!" He tossed the wet napkins into a bowl of peanut shells and pulled back checking his black t-shirt and beige khakis for stains.

"Off record, Colonel?" Charlie glanced calmly across the table at Jack who was trying to regain his composure.

"It apparently hasn't stopped you so far." Jack groused, glaring at his former *friend* and then conceded. "Fine. We're on downtime, Charlie, shoot you mouth off."

"Okay, skip that blonde question."

"Whatever." Jack revisited his digested steak with beer marinate. Yuck!

"Like wha's up?"

Jack gave the Polish officer a blunt look. He'd had enough beers that he could handle anything, even Charlie's disjointed nose.

"With what?"

"You and Carter, that's what."

"That's who," he corrected. "And everything's peachy considering . . . "

"Considering?" Charlie rubbed his temples and winced.

"She's my 2IC."

"You'd rather she wasn't?" Charlie pressed in for the kill.

"I'd rather a lot of things but life's not always fair." He leaned back in his chair, stretching his legs and cringing at the noticeable clinch in his left knee.

"'Cause she's a dame, right?"

"Unlike some officers, I have no problem with my 2IC being female, Charlie." That should shut him up.

"Hey, I admit I've got an issue there. But since I've seen her in the field, I'd let her watch my six any day."

"Mighty generous of you." Jack looked back at the small dance floor and the couple occupying it. When Sam flinched from Daniel's clumsy feet, Jack grimaced too.

"Knew it!" Charlie snickered and downed his chaser.

"What?" Jack's bottle clanked against the Formica tabletop as he exhaled his irritation and looked back at him.

"You and Sam are an item and a hot one from the vibes I've picked up."

Jack gulped. Okay, maybe he hadn't had enough beers. Before he could speak, Charlie did.

"Hey, don't worry, pal, my lips are sealed, so are Ferretti's."

"Ferretti's!" Jack's jaw dropped open and refused to close.

"Yeah! We're happy for you. Just sucks that whatever you two got has to be put in the deep freeze 'cause of the regs."

Jack stared back. Oh, he could deny it. But it actually felt good that someone else knew. Even though they hadn't seen each other since the first Abydos mission, they'd picked up right where they'd left off. Since their Black Ops days, Kawalsky was the closet thing to a best friend Jack ever had. Charlie was faithful to death and wouldn't break their trust. Yeah. The two had finally gotten to talk during this last mission and Jack told him how his son had died and about his failed marriage with Sara. Divorced as well, Kawalsky proved a sympathetic ear.

"Hammond said something during your maintenance review this morning?"

"Huh?" Kawalsky shook his head. "Nada. If he suspects or knows he sure ain't going to muck the waters. You and Carter are too valuable, 'sides, Hammond's old school. Don't ask don't tell."

"Hope you're right, Kawalsky." Jack wiped his beer damp hands down his khakis, then noticed Charlie rubbing his neck again. "Hey, did you see the doc yet?"

"No. Guess I should."

"Tomorrow. That's an order."

"We're off duty, Jack, and you're no longer my CO."

"Yeah, well friends or not, I still outrank you. You check into the infirmary first thing okay?"

"Yeah. Sure." He quickly changed the subject. "So when'd ya meet?" Both glanced at the stumbling couple on the floor. Well Daniel was stumbling Sam was trying to lead.

"Special Forces."

"Figures." Charlie scoffed. "Besides being beautiful, she's one tough officer, Jack, and way smarter than either of us. You need her in your life."

"The SGC needs her more." Jack finished his bottle, downed a chaser and then waved the waiter for another.

"Yeah, thought that's what you'd say."

They looked at each other briefly. Jack sighed and unconsciously dragged his right pointer through a wet spot on the table writing Dorothy. Hell, he was depressed.

A full minute or more passed.

"Gosh, Jack, you got it bad. You're in love with the gorgeous geek."

Jack flinched and peered across at his friend. "Life sucks. Shit happens." He tipped the bottleneck to his lips.

"And you're quoting clichs like you like them or something."

Jack shrugged and leaned back in his chair, scrubbing his hands across his face and into his hair. "Done playing shrink, Kawalsky?"

"Nope. From the way she looks at you, I assume the feelings mutual?"

"Hopefully."

"Then you two haven't- "

"What?" Jack dared him to say it.

"Look, Colonel, there's a lot you never told me. Like about your son, Charlie. All those years we served in Black Ops, I thought I knew you. Now I realize I didn't. You're the quiet, private type. Respect that. But I did learn you're a one-woman man. And as impulsive as you are out there," he pointed skyward, "You aren't a risk taker in the personal arena. Bet you were faithful to Sara. Huh? And ten to one says, you haven't bedded Carter because it's either too early in the courtship, three important words haven't crossed one or the other's lips, or you're a good altar boy." Charlie sucked air, "Or all the above."

Jack gaped, then answered, "Ya sure you don't have a vagina instead of a penis, Kawalsky?"

His friend snickered. "No, but being the only boy in a house of six sisters I heard more than my share of sordid love topics and in detail."

"Well there you are." Jack shook his head but a grin was working its way across his flat mouth.

"So?"

"Go rescue Carter." He tipped his beer in their direction.

"Not these two left feet. The only reason she hasn't decked Jackson is because he's a civilian and fellow geek. I step on her toes once and I'll find myself in a death grip. So how's 'bout you?"

"Like you said, things have changed, Charlie. I'm her CO. From here on its hands off."

"Ah, you're in a public place on downtime, Jack. I don't think dancing with your 2IC falls under fraternization, let alone on a team outing. So take advantage of the little things, and dance with your girl while you still can."

Jack stared at his former 2IC. "Getting cocky in your old age, Major."

"Yeah, well had a cocky CO. Besides, no one here knows Sam from a hill a beans, yet."

"Good point, Sherlock." Jack shoved to his feet, realizing the beers and two shots had taken their hold. He'd probably crush Sam's toes. "Hey, do me a favor." He suddenly felt amorous and daring.

Kawalsky nodded. "See if this is still on the jukebox, melody only. Don't want to compete with Barry." Jack scribbled the name on a napkin and gave it over.

"Sure." Charlie winked. "Who'dathunk you're a romantic."

"Got my moments, Kawalsky. Breath a word and I'll have to shoot you." Jack's steely glint left no room for doubt.

The major snatched up the napkin and balked, "Ya gotta be kidding."

Jack glared.

"Guess not."

Within seconds Jack was tapping Daniel's shoulder. "Mind if I crash this dance lesson?"

Daniel and Sam looked up. Daniel expelled a sigh of relief. "About time. She's ready to kill me."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"Okay, kids. Let Gene Kelly show you how it's done." He smirked at Sam, then turned and took Daniel in his arms and dipped him.

"Hell no!" Daniel untangled himself from Jack's clutches and fled the dance floor. A round of laughter and applause rose from O'Malley's patrons. Jack took a bow and then turned to Sam, who was grinning and shaking her head.

"Can't imagine what you do for an encore, Sir."

"This." He pulled her into him and began leading.

"Wow!" Sam glanced nervously around them. "Sir?"

"Chill, Carter. We're on downtime and I just rescued you, right?"

"Yes, Sir." She winced and glanced at her bruised bare toes peeking out from her tan sandals.

"Sweet." He smiled down at her and swept her around the small dance floor with ease.

"You can dance," she complimented, leaning her head against his shoulder and gazing up.

"Surprised?"

"Every day, Sir."

"Excellent. Hope to keep it that way." He smiled, slipping a fallen curl from her eyes. "So is this still going somewhere, Sam?" He breathed into her ear, realizing he was shaking.

"Only if it makes a difference when one's sober or drunk." She sighed, clutching his shirtfront.

"Ah," he tipped his head and nodded. "The costume ball?"

"Yeah," she sniggered. "We really were trashed, weren't we?"

"Speak for yourself, Captain." Darn, he wished he'd not called her that.

"Colonel?"

"Jack?" he insisted.

Sam trembled at his touch and glanced up at him. They held the other's gaze until Jack leaned into her. Behind them the jukebox kicked in a Barry Manilow melody.

Jack whispered, "They don't have, Broken Hearts. Hope this will do, huh?"

"Huh, Jack?" Sam stepped back.

He waggled his brows. Clearly, he'd drunk too much or he wouldn't be about to make a public spectacle of himself. "It's even sappier."

Jack brought her back into his arms and sang softly,

"Last night, I said goodbye Now-it seems years I'm back in the city Where nothing is clear But thoughts of me-holding you Bringing us near

And tell me When will our eyes meet When can I touch you When will this strong yearning end And when will I hold you again

Time in New England Took me away To long rocky beaches- and you, by the bay We started a story Whose end must now wait

And, tell me When will our eyes meet When can I touch you When will this strong yearning end And when will I hold you again

I feel the change comin'- I feel the wind blow I feel brave and daring! I feel my blood flow With you I can bring out All the love that I have- with you there's a heaven So earth ain't so bad

And tell me When will our eyes meet When can I touch you When will this strong yearning end And when will I hold you again...."

Jack stopped singing and looked at Sam with a yearning that seized up his heart. Once again, looking into her beautiful face, he forgot to breathe.

Sam trembled in his arms.

Applause broke around them, causing Sam to nestle deeper into Jack's embrace. As another song began, Jack pressed his lips to her forehead. The ensuing silence troubled him. Had he overstepped again?

"What are we going to do?" She clutched his shirt and pressed her face into his chest.

"Talk." He led her away from the dance floor to the back door. Sam hesitated and looked across to where Daniel and Charlie were deep in conversation as the rest of SG-2 had called it a night.

"Please, Sam?" Jack scrunched his face and looked at her.

"Okay. Just talk?"

"Promise."

*~*

"They leave yet?" Charlie glanced at Daniel who faced the back door.

"Yeah. Finally. Thought he'd never come and rescue me. If I had to mash Sam's toes one more time . . ." Daniel shook his head and grimaced.

"You dance?" Kawalsky gawked.

"'Course." Daniel flinched with annoyance. "Just because I'm a geek doesn't mean I have two left feet." He straightened and crowed, "Won several dance contests in high school and college."

"Go figure." Kawalsky grunted, then looked toward the rear entrance. "So what ya think?"

"Well," Daniel took a sip of his soda. "I think if those two are already in love like Sha're believed, it sucks that they can't follow through because of Air Force policy. On the other hand, Jack's changed since I first met him. Yeah, he's still a cantankerous bull-headed ass, but he's mellowed and if that spark in his eyes is because of Doctor Samantha Carter more power to him."

"Jack knows I know."

"What!" Daniel almost choked on his Pepsi.

"Yeah. Well, we got history. But now I wished I hadn't said anything. He almost decked me."

"That's Jack." Daniel snickered.

"Yeah, he figures everyone's onto them."

Daniel frowned. "Nah, don't think so. I only saw the chemistry after Sha're pointed it out. If anything, Jack seems downright annoyed with her."

"Oh, but he is." Charlie laughed. "Jack's not fond of scientists."

"Tell me about it." Daniel sighed. "But how did you and Ferretti- "

"Aw, our minds are always in the gutter. It wasn't until Jack got defensive in the locker room before we went after you, that I realized it was more than physical attraction. It's amour."

"Yeah." Daniel felt the agony of loving and missing Sha're, knowing what it meant to love that fast, that hard and that deep. Odd, he'd never figured Jack the 'love at first sight' type. Then again, the heart was a lonely hunter and as much as Daniel assumed Jack to be a lonely loner, he was a hunter in desperate need of love. Having watched Jack and Sam on the dance floor, Daniel knew without a doubt it was amour for both of them.

And yet, he could not imagine choosing his career over his love for Sha're. Staying back on Abydos two years ago had proven that commitment. Daniel recalled Jack's last words before he stepped through the Stargate. "I envy you, Doctor Jackson."

"Now what?" Kawalsky broke Daniel's musings. The major stared at Daniel as if he were all knowing.

"We do what's necessary to make sure no one knows the truth. And we let them chose their own paths, even if not what we'd chose."

CHAPTER THREE

Jack and Sam stepped outside and strolled to where a scattering of picnic tables set for the patrons. Located on a ridge, the tables were secluded by trees and faced the mountains. Sam sat down and removed her sandals, groaning as she touched her abused toes and insteps.

Jack settled on the end of the table's bench. "Give me your feet." He put out his hands.

Sam looked warily at him. "I'd like nothing better, but . . . "

"That's an order, Carter!"

"Well, since you put it that way, Sir." She swung around and dropped both feet onto his lap.

Jack held her gaze a moment and gently rubbed, drawing a few gasps of discomfort from her. "Sorry."

"No. Doctor Jackson has big heavy feet. I'll probably have bruises tomorrow, you know."

"Well hopefully, my magic fingers will eliminate a few of them." He concentrated on his assignment with that bulldog look.

Grinning, Sam leaned back, watched and enjoyed.

"Amazing," she sighed wiggling her toes under his artful ministration.

Jack chuckled.

Oh yeah, the guy indeed had magic fingers. Wow! More than her feet were starting to tingle. She could feel the heat of his thighs through his tan khakis. Between the full moon and lamplight from the parking lot she could see his handsome face. Her heart twisted. She'd tried not to think about the events of the last two weeks. They'd been together most of it. Stealing a few minutes here and there, a look, a touch.

When a Goa'uld had shot Jack, and she thought he was dead, she'd kissed him in desperation. Man, he was so not dead. She grinned, recalling how he'd embraced her and kissed her like a thirsty man. At least they'd been off world alone at that moment, and she'd felt it wasn't too wrong. Here, now under the shadow of the Mountain, she felt guilty, fearful of watchful eyes. If they could be off world more often, if-

"So, you always go around hugging generals on duty?"

"Umm, what?" She shook her head and gazed across at him.

"You and Hammond, that's what." He kept kneading, but stared her head on.

Sam gulped. "It's not what you think."

"Enlighten me."

"He's my godfather."

"A ah." He tipped his head and snuffed.

Disliking his tone Sam yanked her feet from his warm hands. "I suppose you think I got this position because of him."

"Well, it's apparent you two aren't advertising your history." He snapped back.

"No more than we are." She gestured between them and stood, hobbling on one foot.

"That's not the same, Sam."

"Isn't it?" She glared back at him.

"Look." He rolled his shoulders. "I'm not implying anything about you and Hammond. I just wished you'd told me upfront."

"I planned to. It's not like we've had any opportunity to be alone until now."

"There's that." He waved a hand.

Sam limped off to the edge of the ridge, where she stood hugging herself. Hoping he'd come to her.

He did. When he touched her shoulder, she trembled. Two weeks of emotions kept at disciplined bay, she eased from his gentle grasp. I'm so ready to detonate. If he touches me again, I don't know what will happen.

"Geez, Sam," he sounded equally frustrated as his breath fanned the arch of her neck.

"It's over, isn't it?" Her voice quavered as she accepted the inevitable.

"What?" he sounded confused and turned her to him.

"Us."

"Says who?"

"But we can't . . ." her voice quivered.

"No, we can't now, Sam. But I'm willing to wait out this Snakehead invasion, if you are?"

"You make it sound so simple."

"It is. Just a matter of faith."

"Faith?"

"Yeah. I know it sounds corny, but I have faith in us and above all, in the Big Guy upstairs."

"God?" She winced.

"Yeah. We haven't been on the best of terms, lately." He glanced heavenward, "But it's not His fault that I'm a stubborn mule. I still don't understand the whys of some things that have happened in my life." His face bore a sadness she couldn't discern. "But I've reconciled it all to a point where I understand that He does what He does for reasons even I don't understand."

"I-don't know if I still believe in God, Jack. At least not the way I did as a kid, or the way you apparently still do. There's so much to contradict His existence."

"Really?" He didn't seem surprised at her remark. "Interesting. You believe in the Big Bang, theory?"

"Well, yeah. I assume you don't."

"No, but that's not the issue here."

"Then what is?"

"In order for the Big Bang theory to have happened, you need energy and matter right?"

"Correct."

"So how did it get here? Where did it come from?"

"Well, I um . . .don't know. Because time is relative it was always here."

"Interesting theory, Carter. Because science states that atoms or molecules originate from a source."

She shrugged.

"Then you concede that if there was a Big Bang, someone or something had to put that mass of gasses here?" He whirled a finger and grinned.

"I suppose, I mean, yeah." Sam hedged.

"He's the Alpha and Omega, Sam."

"The beginning and the end. I remember Sunday school. "

"Good. Now you've got something to contemplate. That's all for now folks, of, O'Neill's God Exists 101." He chuckled. "Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. The Sam and Jack Show."

"Yeah, now what?"

Jack scratched his head. "Like I said, have faith, Babe. I believe we're here for a reason. Maybe it's to rid the galaxy of these snake thingy's. God knows they've been a blight to humanity way too long."

"Then we weren't brought together to be lovers?" She hoped he'd disagree.

"Wow! Didn't say that. But we have a choice, free will yadda, yadda. Or as Daniel said the other day, choosing our own path of enlightenment."

Sam laughed. "Man, you do have your serious side don't you, Jack O'Neill?

"Oh, I can be a very deep well of nothing, Doctor Samantha Carter." He grinned. "Just don't get me started."

'Okay, warning heeded."

Silence fell between them while they gazed into up at the moon.

"Sam?" Jack pulled her to him.

She gazed reflectively up into his beautiful expressive dark eyes and read his silent desire. The same desire burned uncontrollably within her. Over the last few weeks, she'd analyzed their relationship to no end. There seemed no sound logical explanation for the passion that bonded them. No other man had ever had such a commanding hold on her heart, or like now, made her forgot to breathe. So this was love at first sight. This was how it felt to find your Godsend. Well, if God existed, why was He being so unfair to them? Denying them happiness?

The moment Jack's calloused hands gently cradled her face, Sam doubts took flight. Stretching on her toes, she brushed her lips across his parted mouth. A mouth she coveted like no other. Any concern that he would break that contact vanished as he drew her hard against him and tantalized her lips with his searing tongue. Sam didn't resist. They wanted each other so much it hurt. Their lover's kiss became fueled by defined caresses and strategic placed body parts, each burning with need to join in the dance old as time. Feeling Jack's ardent response, Sam found herself torn between a lover's lust, duty, and the painful reality that they were . . .torturing each other. That this could not and should not be happening.

"No! Ja--ck?" She gasped into his delicious mouth and eased regretfully from his addictive hold. Tears pricked her eyelids.

"Crap!" Jack put distance between them and gestured his apology. "Geez, Sam, I'm sorry. That was my fault-" He looked angry. Sam knew it was with himself.

"No," she cleared her throat stepping toward him, but he put out an arm of restraint. "We're both to blame."

Swearing, Jack shook his head vehemently. "No! I'm your CO, Carter!" He cursed again. "I've never made out with my 2IC before!"

"Well, I hope not." She tried for glib and arched her brows.

"Funny." He sniffed a breath, so not smiling. "This is just wrong on so many levels-"

"Of duty," she finished and glanced across the ridge toward the mountain, before looking at him.

"Well, there's that." Muttering another string of expletives, he dragged a hand over his face and into his hair, then strolled over to stand in front of her. "We got to get a handle on this mutual lust thingy, Captain." He clutched her shoulders gently and peered down at her.

"Yes." She stiffened at his formality.

"I know it sounds selfish, but if I can't have you as my lover and wife, I'll take you as my 2IC any day."

Tightening her reserve and her attitude she straightened beneath his hands. "Then I'll be the best 2IC you've ever had, Sir."

"Sir," Jack said the word slowly, painfully. "I hate that word."

"Me too." She nodded and touched his tensed jaw.

"Now what?" He bent over, skimming his warm lips across her forehead, while one hand toyed with her left earlobe. His electric touch nearly undid her, again.

"We can't let this happen." She slipped determinedly from his embrace.

"Oy!" He nodded. "Sure. Course not. Dang, being tortured by the Goa'uld was easier than this type of torment." Instinctively, he reached for Sam and then took a full step back, jamming his hands into his pockets with a grunt of disgust.

"Holy Hannah, Jack. I want you so much it physically hurts." She shook her head and hugged herself. "This is just so unfair!" She looked up at him with pleading eyes.

"Yeah, sucks ass-teroids." He swept a curl from her flushed cheek. "Wish I could change things. But we're all that stands between earth and those freaking snakeheads."

"I know that." Sam nibbled her lower lip and nodded with resignation.

"And it won't last forever either. Sam, I've been around enough to know that dreams don't turn to gold and there's no easy way, we just can't walk away from this right now."

She glanced up wonderingly at Jack as he raked a hand through his brown hair in blatant aggravation. Did he realize he'd quoted a line from their song? How did it go, 'Where do lonely hearts go, can they find their way home?' She blinked and refocused on the man she loved. No, he didn't seem aware. But she knew she wanted Jack to be home for her forever.

"Sam, if we are each other's Godsends, we'll make it through whatever alien crap comes our way. But that also means because of our chosen professions, we have to make, concessions. Geez, I hate that word too! Something, I swore that if I ever fell in love again, I'd never put the military first again. And yet here I am doing the same thing to you."

"Jack, you're not making this concession alone. I believe it must go down this way. We have to respect the regulations and be above board," she answered resolutely. "If we don't, we'll lose respect for ourselves as well as each other, maybe even come to hate each other."

"You're not only brilliant, Carter, you're wise."

"So you've said, Sir."

"Now what?" His thin mouth ironed out.

"We continue acting. Make everyone, even Daniel and Teal'c believe we just met two weeks ago."

"Now there's a novel idea. Which means we put lots of distance between us, Sam." He stepped off and then straightened to attention.

"How much distance?" She couldn't believe she'd said they couldn't and now that he was enforcing it, was back peddling. What do you want, Sam, the lover or the CO, she asked herself. Can't I have both?

"Whatever it takes to do our job, Captain Carter. The day our feelings override our duty and decision making out there," he pointed to the stars, "One of us will have to leave SG-1, possibly even the SGC. Understood?"

Sam stiffened at his CO bravado. He was right, of course. This is what she wanted, wasn't it, to be part of SG-1 and have Jack as her CO? 'Well, Carter?' She looked up and found Jack watching her. More importantly so was Colonel O'Neill.

"I concur, Sir." She came to attention and saluted.

"Good, Captain." He saluted back, and then gestured her to walk ahead of him toward the bar and grill. "From here on we are officers of the USAF. Nothing more."

"Yes, Colonel." Sam nodded and stiffly limped over to retrieve her sandals and slipped them on her feet. In the process, Sam began to stew. So this was it? From now on nothing but, yes, Sir and no, Sir! Man, he could be a real SOB. She wondered if she'd ever figure out Jack O'Neill.

Standing up, she avoided his scrutinizing CO glint and hobbled quickly toward the back door. Halfway there he invaded her bittersweet thoughts.

"So, Sam?"

Sam halted and drew a tensed breath. "Sir?"

"Still wanna go fishing?"

"Of course, Sir." Her heart leaped with joy.

"Sweet."

Sam pivoted slowly and met his amused brown gaze, the tug of his lips and those kissable dimples slashing deep into his cheeks. Bathed in moonlight, rocking on his heels, his hands jammed into his front pockets, Jack looked like a little kid awaiting his first school bus ride.

Her heart slammed against her ribcage. Yeah, Sam would always want to go fishing with Jack O'Neill. The issue was when. She loved the kid, the man, the CO standing before her. True to his word, Jack wasn't going to stop asking and for however it deemed necessary Sam would decline.

Strolling up to her, Jack enveloped Sam into his strapping arms and nuzzled her neck. For the longest time they said nothing, just relished their full body contact, knowing from here on out, there would be few if any such intimate embraces.

"So, we okay?" he whispered huskily, pulled away and caressed her cheek with the back of his hand, and then delivered his devil may care smirk, she had come to realize was hers alone.

"We're okay." Sam gazed into his passion-laden eyes and grinned. "So, tell me about your elusive cabin and these gigantic fish you're always catching?"

"Really, Sam?"

"Really, Sir."

"Yeah sure yabetcha." He chuckled and his dimples tucked deeper.

Engaging his boyish smile, Sam surrendered willingly to loving this man Jack O'Neill, who proved to be a constant contradiction. Directing her back toward the bench, Jack's brown eyes lit up in the moonlight and his hands began their comical sign language.

"Well first off it, Carter, it's not about the fish, it's about the fishing . . ."

~~Fin~~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 3&4 - FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS by HailDorothy
FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS - Part 3/4- Revised - Chosen Hearts Series S8

FOREVER AND FOR ALWAYS - Part 3/4- Revised - Chosen Hearts Series S8

by HailDorothy

Summary: Fifth and Replicarter mess with Jack and Sam's memories, while the climatic events at the SGC including Anubis' threat to invade Earth, jeopardizes any chance of happiness for Jack and Sam.
Category: Angst, Filk/Song, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 811 Gemini, 814 Full Alert, 815 Reckoning, 817 Threads, 818 Citizen Joe, 819 Moebius
Season: any Season
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam, Jack/other, Sam/Pete
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, character death, language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-04-12

Title: Forever And For Always! - Novel - Part 3/4 - Chosen Hearts Series-S8 Author: HailDorothy Email: HDorothy@gmail.com Category: Humor/Angst/Romance Warnings: None Pairing: Sam/Jack, Sam/Pete, Jack/Kerry Others: Teal'c, Daniel, Cassandra, Jacob Carter Spoilers: Pre-Season1 - S8 - Threads 818, Moebius 1&2 - 819, 820 Content Level: 13+ Author's Notes: Please read 'Branded Hearts' first. Summary: Fifth and Replicarter mess with Jack and Sam's memories, while the climatic events at the SGC including Anubis' threat to invade Earth, jeopardizes any chance of happiness for Jack and Sam. File Size: 208KB Archived: Jackfic, GateWorld, SamandJack, Heliopolis, my site http://www.emeraldrose.net/stargate.htm

Dedicated: to all the fic fans that have read this series from conception and continue to encourage me to keep the fire burning between Jack and Sam.

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series includes script excerpts from the TV Series 'Stargate SG-1.' This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy 2005 (c).

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

~*~

'Deception wears many faces, And most often one fails to see The greatest deceiver of all-is thee.'

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Jack tried his best not to wake her as he slipped wearily between his sheets and curled up on his side, hugging his pillow. He wished she hadn't come tonight, thought his message clearly stated he'd see her in the morning. Maybe she hadn't checked her voicemail. Besides, it'd become a habit the last two weeks, her staying overnight. And while his male ego liked the idea of waking up with a gorgeous woman beside him, his heart wished she were someone else. Sam.

He had spotted Kerry's car three hours back but instead of driving in, he'd driven past his house to avoid the hot-blooded woman who'd been warming his bed the last while. And what did he think about after he drove to the Garden of the Gods and proceeded to sit beneath a certain blue spruce for two hours? Sam! Crap, she was actually marrying that dickhead, Pete! She actually loved the guy! And Jack still loved her. And that's why he wasn't home wrapped in Kerry's Johnson's arms having sex, well giving her sex. The least he could do, right?

Man, how'd he get into this fricking mess? Oh, yeah, he'd been trying to move on, really he had. Sparks flew on his first date with the long legged brunette, at least the physical kind. That's what counted right? Heck, Kerry Johnson was stunning, intelligent, and witty. She laughed at his jokes like Carter. In all honesty, she was a lot like Carter, even built like her with the same heart-shaped face, mouth and nose. Man! No wonder he'd been attracted to her! She was a brown-eyed, brunette Samantha Carter!

Jack scratched his whiskered jaw, flipped onto his left side and gazed at the sleeping woman in the sheer negligee he'd given her. One, he'd bought for Sam-. Kerry. 'Think Kerry. Yeah! Think about how you make her whimper with desire, Jack, how much she wants you. And she's here because you're good at it. Sure are!'

He grinned. 'Not that you're bragging. Of course, you are! Women haven't been a mystery to you for sometime. You know your way around their luscious curves, how to please them and I'm not dead yet, but -Geez, still no heat in the radiator, Jack! Zippo. Nada. Not all systems go. But as soon as you think of Sam. Oh, yeah, a hot steady burn-He groaned as Kerry stretched catlike and nuzzled his shoulder--a burn snuffed out with physical contact from the gorgeous woman beside him. Shit! Well, at least, he'd tried.

"Jack?" Her eyes fluttered open.

"Umm," he softly answered willing, praying her back to sleep. It wasn't her fault he was being a jerk and that he had stooped so low as to use her to get over the love of his life, his ex-wife.

"It's past two." She glanced at the clock.

"Yeah, one of my teams was over-due." He clamped down hard on his inside cheek as punishment for his lie, then winced as his tongue flicked over the bruise and he tasted blood. 'Serves you right, O'Neill!'

"Again?"

"Hush. Go back to sleep." He brushed her arm as it curled around his chest and she leaned over kissing his open mouth. Jack didn't respond. Couldn't.

"Wanna play?" Her hand wandered southward.

He gently snatched her teasing fingers and brought them back to his chest. "I'm really tired, Kerry." He couldn't and wouldn't call her babe or hon. Besides Ms. Johnson wasn't into romantic endearments. Another thing she'd made clear when they'd started dating.

"Oh." He heard the sulk in her voice and flinched. Kerry reached over and switched on the bedside lamp.

Jack screwed his bloodshot eyes shut, before opening them.

She propped on her elbow, tossed back her long brown hair and gazed up at him, suspiciously. "Jack, is something wrong . . . between us?"

"Of course not." 'Lying bastard!'

"I mean we're good together?"

"Yes, we are." He rubbed her arm.

"And the sex has been great except the fact you can't . . ." She glanced away with a strained expression.

"Kerry, long before we got serious I explained I can't get it up, which I'm sure proved a secret challenge for you. But I'd understand if you wanna call it quits." He drew her closer and kissed her forehead. This impotency thingy with her was unfair.

"If that was the only thing I'd wanted I'd be gone by now, Jack. You know there's medication-"

"Hey! That is so not my problem." He defended. "Besides I tried that crap and nothing happened. But if you want I can," he trailed a hand across her breasts. "Satisfy you."

"Whoa, General! You sexually please me more than any man I've ever known. You're a generous lover," she said against his t-shirt. "And I speak from personal experience."

He smiled despite himself. Yeah, he was still the man!

"So want to talk about it? I mean is there something you haven't told me about how or why the last download of the Ancient library made you . . ."

"Classified." He avoided her insightful brown eyes.

"Um, Jack, I'm privy to almost everything stamped classified at the SGC, including nine and a half years of video and audio tapes. I'm more than aware that your condition is due to going Ancient. What I don't understand is why you are sexually stimulated when you're around Colonel Carter."

"Huh? Well . . .I-um, didn't get the memo." He'd not expected that! Jack swore she'd just kicked him in the gut, nope lower, the balls. A strained moment hung between them.

"Please, Jack, I've seen you together and I know Carter possesses a Naquadah marker. Just trying to finger out why she turns you on and I don't. I mean, is it just me?"

"Heck no! It's not I don't get turned on in my head with you or even looking at other women. It's just, well, the equipment short-circuited."

"No sexual stimulation, huh?"

"Nope." He shrugged thankful the dim lighting concealed his blush.

"It's nice to know it's not just me." She exhaled a quivering sigh. "Then again, I've heard the rumors." She touched his jaw and turned his face to hers.

"About me and Teal'c?" He chuckled praying this rumor wasn't about-

"You and Colonel Carter." She wasn't laughing.

"Oh." His voice hitched an octave. "Um, thought you were above believing in grapevine gossip, Ms. Johnson." He dropped into his superior CO mode.

"I am, but there's years of concrete data regarding you two. Such as the Special Forces assignment and the White House Ball date. And, you know, that degree I have in Interruptive Body Language comes in handy when watching eight years of SGC Briefing Room sessions. You and Carter actually developed a secret code language. Just haven't figured out all the vowels yet. Boy, can you two talk and I don't mean on ways to defeat the Goa'uld." She snorted sarcastically.

Jack knew he had that deer caught in the headlights look. He was so dead.

Surprisingly, she smiled. "Not to mention the Za'tarc test. I also read Kinsey's report. And yet General Hammond adamantly denied there was ever anything between you and Carter-I, for one, think he doth protest too much." She winked.

"Ahh, for cryin' out loud!" He shot upright in bed. "That's all in the past, Kerry! Sure, we dated before I got re-commissioned and assigned to the SGC. Was that a crime?" He swung his legs over the bed and looked for his sweatpants.

"No, it wasn't. Jack?" She launched herself after him and wrapped her arms around his waist. "Before Doctor Jackson died, we talked."

"You did?" Frick! He'd kill Daniel! Whoops, scratch that.

"Yes, he said he was on the verge of proving that Ancients had a unique mating ritual, called branding and that you and the Colonel are the first documented couple in thousands of years -"

"Kerry!"

"No, Jack, hear me out. It's obvious something's still going on between you and the Colonel. I need to know if I've got competition. If we're going to have a future you must be honest with me."

Future?! He turned into her and glanced into her deep brown eyes. Honest!? Didn't she know he'd flunked Communication 101 twice? Three should be a charm. Despite what his heart said, his lips consoled her with lies. "It's over Kerry. Has been for along while. She's getting married and you agreed to go with me."

"And you're okay with that? Samantha Carter getting married in a big church wedding?"

"She's getting married at the Radisson."

"Exactly. Doctor Daniel told me the Colonel would either get married either under the stars or in church. Wonder why she'd opt for a Justice Of The Peace . . ."

"Don't know. Don't care." He looked at a spot beyond her shoulder, a photo of Cassie. "Carter made her decision, Kerry. So have I. Besides there's the regs and other stuff."

"And you're willing to let her go?" She drilled.

"I want her happy. She's happy. Got no choice." He forced his gaze back to her cautious one.

"Yes, you do." She drew him back to the bed and urged him to lie down. Crawling over him, she slipped between the blankets and nuzzled into his embrace.

"I don't deserve you, Kerry."

"No, you don't. But I'll let it slide for now."

When he made a gesture to pleasure, her she stopped him. "No." she insisted. "I don't want sex anymore, Jack."

"Uh!" Well, that was a first!

"Emotionally, we're both on the rebound. I admitted upfront I was getting over my divorce and not looking for anything serious. But, I definitely wanted sex. And I'm sure not disappointed with your performance, General O'Neill. Just wish I could return the sexual favor." She touched him intimately but still didn't get a rise.

Sex. Why did that word sound so cold and selfish? 'Because it is, Jack.' He waited for God to zap him. Even though he'd not had intercourse with Kerry he was fornicating and hadn't thought twice about it. Well, he had, but not enough to stop him. But realizing his and Sam's daughter's picture had been a witness to him having sex with Kerry all these weeks made him want to puke! 'How low can you go Jack O'Neill? Obviously, pretty low!'

He felt Kerry watching him. No doubt the CIA psychology major was dissecting his body language.

"Although you never said anything, Jack, I know I suspect playing the field is not your bag. You're into lifelong commitment, marriage and kids. You're also comfortable enough in your own skin to be alone the rest of your life."

"Am I that transparent?" He scrubbed his face.

"Yes." She trailed a hand along his briefs t-shirt.

"Yes, well, as you've noticed I'm adaptable." He toyed with the strap of her gown. Even if he couldn't perform, he could satisfy her as he'd done before.

She smiled back. "Yes, you are. But I suspect were I someone you 'cared about a lot more than you should' you'd have a hard-on and would be having intercourse. It wouldn't just be sex, would it, Jack? It'd be lovemaking."

'Oh,' he mouthed and closed his eyes.

"Jack, this Ancient gene issue aside, you've been taking antidepressants which would further account for your low sex drive. But I don't think the reason you're taking them is job-related. You've handled far more stressful situations without resorting to medication."

"Oy!" She was good!

"And you talk in your sleep, General." She yawned and put her head on her pillow. "A lot."

"Wow!" He looked over at her.

"Yes. But I didn't know you and the Colonel got married on Chulak, until General Carter told me."

"Just shoot me!" Dad! What? Why?

"So you're divorced?"

"An annulment," he muttered feeling the need for a beer. No definitely Jack Daniels. But somehow he suspected drugs and booze might not give him the results he needed, other than the need to have his stomach pumped. As of now, he was swearing off antidepressants.

"Don't worry, my lips are sealed." She closed her pretty eyes.

"Geez, Kerry. I'm amazed you haven't walked."

"Thought about it. But I like you too much, Jack, and that's the problem."

"What?"

"We're having a good time together, but you're not in love with me, not even close."

"Kerry, we agreed to keep it simple, uncomplicated." He defended, using her words.

"Yes, we did and I'm okay with that for now."

"For now?"

"You have a decision to make, Jack. And I suggest you make it soon. Now get some sleep."

"You're not leaving?"

"Only if you want me to." She opened her eyes and smiled at him.

"No." Feeling relieved that they'd talked Jack drew her into his arms. "Look, unless the world is in peril, I'll take the afternoon off and grill steaks."

"Without burning them?"

"Hey, I don't burn my steaks."

"Right." She yawned. "And Jack?"

"What?"

"When you decide you want to make love, let me know."

"That could be awhile . . . I mean." He glanced due south.

"Jack, even though you're more than generous satisfying me, your heart's not in it. I assume that like most men, you need to know that you are desired and can please a woman, no matter the situation."

"Guess so." He admitted, feeling pathetic.

"So next time you want to be intimate I want all of Jack O'Neill, not just his talented body parts. If you haven't noticed, I'm a very patient woman." She kissed his cheek and settled back against him. "Now sleep, General."

Yeah, she definitely was patient and special. A lot like Sam. Jack sighed against Kerry's soft curly hair and tried to think about her. But when he shut his eyes a pair of azure blue eyes haunted him. Moisture seeped beneath his eyelids. Sam. He ached with such intensity for her that the very marrow of his bones burned. At that moment, Jack realized he'd long been committed to one woman and prayed it wasn't too late to win her back. And if he couldn't, Kerry was right. Jack could and would live out the rest of his days on his own. Tomorrow, he would tell Kerry his decision. Somehow he didn't think she'd be surprised.

~*~

Kerry Johnson awoke and glanced at the clock. It was four am. In a fetal position, hugging his pillow, Jack O'Neill was talking in his sleep-again. In fact, one of the reasons she didn't stay over every night was so she could sleep decent at her apartment. But she'd never tell him that. Most often, he was heckling Baal or Anubis, or back in an Iraq prison, at least from what she'd deciphered from his mumbling. She thought to slug him or roll him over, but he'd warned her that waking him could prove hazardous to her health. Kerry believed him. Besides this one-sided somewhat coherent dialogue held her mesmerized.

Silence settled and she closed her eyes again only to hear, "Sorry didn't tell you, Babe, Cass is our daughter or what Nirrti did to us. Geez, Sam, I love you, always have. We're branded. Forever okay, yeah, that's it, go ahead, cry. I'll always be here for you. Always." His voice trailed off and a deep masculine sob escaped his lips.

Closing her damp eyes Kerry turned and curled up beneath the blankets. She'd never setout to get emotionally involved with Jack O'Neill. But she had and realized that it'd been a huge mistake on both their parts. She had to get out before she got in too deep. She was already treading water. She'd had her share of affairs and two failed marriages. She was too worldly and liberated for one black and white Jack O'Neill. Oh, she knew he was supportive of her career. His relationship with Colonel Carter proved he was all for women's rights.

But deep down and despite his age, Jack wanted the white picket fence and kids, lots of kids from what he'd hinted and a dog. She disliked dogs. And didn't want children. The main reason she'd dated Jack was she'd assumed they'd not have to deal with kids. She was wrong. And she'd long concluded marriage was not her forte. She'd said that upfront. And yet he'd pursued her. And now she knew why. Just like her, Jack had wanted a distraction from his broken heart and watching the woman he loved marry someone else.

"Dorothy?"

'Dorothy! Who was Dorothy?'

Jack rolled over, nuzzled Kerry's collarbone and kissed her there. Despite her anger and confusion, she shivered at his tenderness. Her dad used to do this to her mom. She'd thought it so personal and intimate. So far, Jack had never hugged her that way, but then she wasn't Samantha Carter.

And then she felt it. Jack O'Neill had a raging erection! Kerry lowered her hand to touch him. Wow! It wasn't only real it was huge! When he rubbed against her thigh it took all Kerry's willpower to not take advantage of the situation. After all, she had not had that part of him or any man in quite sometime.

"Sam," Jack sighed out in that sexy lisp that Kerry had fallen for months ago. Still hearing another woman's name on his lips killed the temptation. Yep, Jack O'Neill had issues!

Did Samantha Carter have any idea how much she'd hurt this dear handsome guy? How much he still loved her? Kerry knew it wasn't fair to lay all the blame on the other woman for the man's unhappiness.

"It takes two to tango, Jack." Easing from his embrace, she decided she'd give it awhile longer, like twenty-four hours. After all, she really did like him. A lot. And yes, he definitely had issues. But he also grilled great steaks!

~*~

The phone was ringing. Jack patted the bedroom floor for the cordless and dragged it to his ear. "Whaat!"

"Sir? Teal'c's back and it sounds like we have a problem," Carter said regretfully.

"I knew it. Alright, I'll be there soon as I can." He dropped the phone and shut his eyes. "Crap." Then became aware of a warm hand on his back. Kerry. Yawning, he drew upright, smiled and brushed her long hair from her face. She was beautiful!

"What was that?" she asked through a yawn.

"Sorry. Trouble in Jaffa land." He smiled down at her, toying with her hair.

Kerry groaned and tipped her head back for a kiss.

"Gotta go." He sighed out. "I'm sorry."

With a nod Kerry waited for his usual deep kiss. Morning breath aside, Jack couldn't will himself to meet her soft inviting lips. Instead he grazed the bow of her mouth and shoved out of bed.

~*~

Jack headed for the shower. Watching him through slit eyes, Kerry slumped back into his bed. That had hardly been the kiss he'd have given her a week ago. Sisterly was more like it. Stewing, she waited for him to return and kiss her goodbye or make some lewd suggestion of what he'd do to her tonight. Instead, he exited the bathroom from the hallway door. Coward!

Ten minutes later she heard the garage door open and the engine of his truck startup. Who was she kidding? Oh, she'd show for lunch today but, in all honesty, it was over. Kerry was not the type of woman to wait for the man to show her the door. No, she would do the honors! Besides admitting she'd had access to his files and viewed videos she was pretty certain Jack wasn't a happy camper. He was a private guy and the fact she'd gone behind his back would bite her sooner or later. Maybe that's why she'd done it. She'd wanted to get him angry last night and it hadn't happened. Still, she'd seen more than she wished she had about his life and military missions especially off world. It was amazing the man hadn't gone insane and put a gun to his head!

'The guy's got issues! Creepy issues. Not that I can't work with them but I so can't relate to having a Goa'uld in my belly or head, being tortured, killed and revived a dozen times. And the point is, Samantha Carter can relate. They've shared experiences I can't ever imagine and don't want to. I'm out of their league. Maybe I should talk to the Colonel, make sure she really has dumped him. I mean, what if it was a misunderstanding? What if it's just the stupid regs keeping them a part? And then there's Jack insistence we keep our relationship a secret from the SGC, until the Colonel's wedding.'

"Wow! As Jack would say, he doesn't give a rat's butt about the SGC. He doesn't want Samantha to know! And if you have to ask why, you're the one with issues, Kerry Johnson!"

Her mind made-up, Kerry took her time. She showered, dressed and then collected her personal effects and clothing. She tossed them in her overnight bag, including the negligee. As she reached for her skirt in his closet, her fingers brushed a hatbox on the overhead shelf and it tumbled to the floor and fell open.

Lowering on her knees she picked up the box cover and then froze. The box held memorabilia.

A stuffed brown dog.

A spoon.

Two sets of dog tags intertwined-Jack's dog tags and someone else's. Whose? Like she didn't know, but glanced anyways. Yep. Captain Samantha Carter and Colonel Jack O'Neill.

A red, hand painted yoyo that she turned over and read, "To Jack, forever okay. Always, Sam." Kelly winced. She shouldn't look any further but curiosity and jealous kicked in.

She dug deeper into the box, finding a woman's medium-size, gray, tank top number folded with extra care, and held a fragrance of strawberries and vanilla.

An empty age checked blue piggybank.

A hot fuchsia thong and matching Size C bra!

A cracked, plastic white bowl. Weird.

And, a guy's black thong with the face of Homer Simpson. Wow! Unless Jack was a closet gay it had to be his. Why?

There was a frayed, billfold-size photo of Jack, Sam and a girl of about ten or eleven. Jack's hair was brown and Samantha Carter looked younger. Jack's arm encircled Sam while the child holding a dog smiled up at them. This must be Cassandra Fraiser? Until last night Kerry had yet to figure her into the equation. The personnel files of Doctor Janet Fraiser had listed an adopted child, an alien girl. Jack said he'd become Cassandra's surrogate dad. And, after Fraiser's death, he and Sam were appointed joint guardians. Yeah, right. 'Oh, what a tangled web we weave, General.' The similarity between the freckled faced, brown haired girl and Jack were undeniable, and not to mention she had Colonel Carter's fair complexion, heart shaped face and mouth.

Kerry's eyes widened further when she picked up a framed photo of Jack and Sam wedding picture on Chulak. They looked happy! And the way Jack gazed at his ex-wife-Samantha Carter. There was so much love, so much passion and devotion. Envy filled her. 'Would he ever look at me like that?' Knowing the answer, Kerry buried her budding emotions, shut the box and set everything back in order. She retrieved her luggage, removed the house key from her key chain and set it on his immaculate kitchen counter. She wondered how long before he noticed.

~*~

CHAPTER TWELVE

SGC: 0720 Hours

"Dad?" Sam fell into stride along Jacob Carter as he stepped onto the mid-landing of the metal stairs to the Briefing Room.

"Hey, Kiddo. Jack just walked in. He's up there with Teal'c and Bra'tac. Looks pretty serious with Anubis-"

"I know!" Sam encircled his forearm and pulled him against the stair's railing. In a hushed voice, she said, "Pete told me what you said. How could you, Dad?"

Gently gripping her trembling shoulders, Jacob sighed out. "Look, Sam. I admit I didn't go easy on him-"

"Easy? You were insensitive and rude! Not to mention you said I'm not in love with him!"

"Because you aren't. We both know you're in love with Ja-,"

"Um, yo there, Carters." Her CO stood at the top of the landing. "You called me remember?" Jack eyeballed Sam and tipped his gray head.

She blanched knowing her heart was showing and felt Jack's probing gaze.

"Speak of the de'l." Jacob winked and then gestured to let her walk ahead of him.

"Coming, General." Sam glanced up while Jack tapped his wristwatch for effect. She verbally tossed over her shoulder to her father. "Don't you dare share one word of this with 'him,'" she emphasized meaning Jack.

"Don't worry, Sammy, I'd have to be dying before I'd do that."

The sincerity of her dad's remark startled Sam. When they entered the Briefing Room Jack sat down in his usual place at the head of the table with Jacob to his right and Sam beside her father. When she realized Dad was grinning, like a Cheshire cat, she nudged him to stop.

Of course, nothing got by the General and she watched his black eyebrows hike up his tanned forehead.

"Hey, kids, what'sup?" He looked suspiciously from Sam's sour expression to Jacob's smirk. "I miss somethin'?"

"Just a father-daughter spat." Jacob smiled, bumping Sam with his knee.

Sam jerked and sat up straighter.

"So who won, Colonel?" Jack winked and stretched his long arm past Jacob, his fingertips brushing her wrist, encouraging her. His innocent warm gesture was as familiar as breathing. After all, he touched Teal'c and Daniel just as often, even Dad. So, in knowing that, it shouldn't have caused an inferno to charge through her body. But, as always, it did.

"No one." She ended their exchange and flipped through the report. As if he sensed her agitation he pulled back and tapped his briefing folder.

"Ah," Jack drawled looked from one Carter to the other, before his lips thinned out and he set his attention on Teal'c and Bra'tac. "Okay, campers, give me the peachy news in twenty words or less . . ."

~*~

'The very young do not always do as they are told . . . Ya think?'

Eyes glazed over, Jack sat behind his desk looking at the mountain of paperwork, 'looking,' being the operative word. He felt nauseous and had the stress headache to match. He told himself it was the whole Anubis and Jaffa bedlam. Heck, the world might end today and he was thinking about-Carter selecting wedding flowers with Petty boy. And, Jacob Carter had rubbed it in his face. Apparently, Jacob liked Petty. That sucked.

Jack had remained the absolute gentleman and urged Carter to, "Go pick flowers." He'd even presented his dimpled grin. So, why had she seemed miffed? After their falling out last night, he'd thought she'd have been doing the face rubbing, not Jacob.

At least they weren't in heat today and she hadn't said squat about her transfer request that he'd conveniently misplaced. Oh, yeah, that was it in the shredder. Walter had informed him first thing that Carter had filled out a form for the open position at the Pentagon as lead consultant on the Stargate. The only good prospect was it would take her out of his chain of command and put thousands of miles between them. That also sucked! Yet, wasn't that exactly what he'd started months ago, to remove himself from the SGC? Yeah, and even that paper trail remained pending, sitting on Hammond's desk in DC. A work in progress, Hammond had assured him. His gut told him this whole thing would backfire. Jack hadn't wanted Sam to leave SG-1, let alone the SGC. No, if anyone left, it'd be Jack. He was expendable. Carter wasn't.

"Hey, Jack, you busy?"

"No, but don't tell George." He glanced up to find the other Carter of his thoughts occupying his doorway, holding a bottle of water.

"Your secret's safe with me." Jacob smiled warmly back.

Jack waved the older General into his domain. "C'mon in, take a load off your dogs, shoot some bull and have a donut." Jack pointed to the half-filled bakery box Teal'c had left behind. "Sorry, but T Man inhaled the jelly ones. Always does."

"Thanks, don't mind if I do." He shut the door and ignored the donuts.

"Closing the door." Jack's tenor pitch dropped a few notches and he gulped.

"Yeah, a significant sign." Jacob explained. "Or so they say."

"Really?" Jack came to his feet out of respect for the three-star General not to mention former dad-in-law.

As the older man approached Jack spotted his clammy pallor and how he looked thinner. Jack had noticed before but when he'd inquired, Jacob had shut him down. He didn't have to be told twice, least not with General Carter.

"So how's Selmak doing?" he asked absently, figuring to go through the back doorway to get to the front.

"Fine."

"Been awfully quiet this last visit. Selmy, I mean." Jack closed the folder before him and settled back into his new chair.

"Well, you know Selmak, a Tok'ra of few words. He only talks when he's got something worth saying."

"Yes. Right." Jack chewed his inner cheek the dragged his tongue over his lips. He didn't believe Jacob. "Well, don't tell Selmy but I miss the old snake. He always has some wisdom or amusing repartee to share with me, especially clichs and-"

"That's you and Charlie playing ball, huh?" Jacob gestured to one of the pictures on Jack's wall.

"Yes, Dad, that's me and Charlie, but then you know that." Jack frowned as the senior Carter skirted the issue of Selmak. Something was rotten in Demark and it wasn't Swiss cheese.

Jacob Carter donned the clammed-up look that Sam often mimicked. Jack knew better than press-for now. "So," he fiddled with his pen. "You're flying out to visit Mark and the kids again this afternoon?"

"That's the plan. And thanks for providing me with transportation to the airport. I didn't want to bother Sam this time."

"Think nothing of it."

Jacob coughed into his hand. Jack winced. That was no healthy cough.

"They'll be glad to see you." He leaned back in his chair and cupped his hands behind his head, pondering what was really going down with Jacob/Selmak. Jack's instant gut ache wasn't a good sign. A strained moment followed while Jacob glanced at the bakery and then turned green around the gills. Jacob never got sick or turned down food, let alone donuts. What'sup?

As comfortable as he and Jacob had become over the years, Jack knew the man wasn't here for chitchat and it wasn't about Anubis or the Jaffa. A lot had happened since he'd left six months ago, including Sam and Jack's annulment and Sam's engagement to Petty. The fact they'd yet to discuss it proved a mixed bag for Jack. But he sensed his reprieve was about to end.

"I want to apologize for that incident between myself and Sam in the Briefing Room." Jacob looked sincere, but Jack suspected he had needled Sam because Jack was present. He refused to choke on the bait.

"No apology necessary. It wasn't my business to interfere."

"Yes it was, Jack."

Jack felt his brows skid into his hairline. "Look, Jacob, I realize Sam's under a lot of stress, between the Anubis shit and her wedding with Petty . . ." Oy! "I mean Pete, yeah." He coughed to clear his throat and hoped he wasn't the shade of ripe tomato. He forced himself to look at Jacob. Dang! The senior Carter was smirking. Jack examined the pen with intense interest.

"Anyways, it's her day off. Not like she doesn't have tons of downtime to collect. Months worth, actually." He smiled. "I'm hoping she takes advantage of it for her honeymoon."

"You do?" Jacob bent forward and scowled, his brows vanishing into his perspiring baldhead. Did he have a fever?

"Of course. I'm happy she's happy." He twirled the pen like a baton. He never could lie to Jacob.

"Holy Hannah, Jack! What the hell happened while I was gone? She's your wife, for heaven's sakes!"

Jack slid forward in his chair, dropped the writing instrument as his palms smacked against the mahogany desktop. "Was my wife! The marriage's been annulled. Heck, I'd figure you'd be bouncing off the walls giddy with euphoria."

"Are you nuts?" Jacob pushed to his feet and bracing his hands on Jack's desk, began to rant. "I'd finally accepted that you and Sam were married even if not on earth! I accepted that regulations or not, you two were hopelessly in love with each other. And figured, sooner or later, you'd do the right thing and retire and go legit.

"But no, what do I find? Sam's engaged to an Irish twit who smiles too much and has the nerve to call me 'Dad' on our first introduction! And," he waved a hand causing Jack to swerve from Jacob's lethal weapon. "Before that, I hear from George you're dating a CIA operative. Happy! What the hell for? Especially when I know Sam's not happy!" He wheezed and sat down.

"Huh?" Jack felt like he'd missed something. Big!

"Are you deaf, dumb and blind, Jonathon J. O'Neill? My Sammy's miserable! She's been trying to convince me differently, but I know her. She's wearing the same phony smile when she took ballet lessons to please her mom. And shoving her fake happiness down everyone's throat, especially mine. Every time I ask if she's happy, she says, 'Dad, I'm really happy.' Do you know not once when she was with you she ever said, 'Jack makes me happy, Dad.' And you know why?"

"Nope. But I'm sure you'll tell me." Jack exhaled through his lips and closed his eyes a moment.

"Because she didn't have to! I could see that you made her happy. Hell, even beneath her military veneer, she was downright delirious!"

"She was?" Jack's jaw slackened.

"Damn straight and you were too. That's why you walked around with that shit-ass grin on your face. Man, oh man, we could have a hundred Jaffa breathing down our necks and you two would find some reason to smile at each other."

"We did?"

"Yes!" Jacob shook his crimson colored baldhead in annoyance. "When she went missing at Alpha Site . . ." He shut his eyes and sighed out as if trying to compose himself.

Jack heard the emotion tighten Jacob's throat and Jack's chest coiled up. It'd not been one his better days. They'd nearly lost the most important woman in their lives, Sam.

"I knew that, besides you, if anyone could survive or escape that drone it'd be Sam. And yet by the time you found me, I'd given up hope. But when I saw your bulldog mettle and confidence that she'd survive and that you'd find her, my faith got restored. But the most important thing that helped me to believe was knowing beneath your military faade you were worried shitless too."

"Yes," Jack's voice dropped with a tremor. "I was. And I'm sorry if I acted . . ."

"Like a professional, kick ass CO looking for a missing team member?"

"Yeah." Jack sighed out. "That's my job. It's what I do. But it never meant I wasn't hurting and praying she'd be okay."

"I know." Jacob smiled warmly at him. "And Jack?"

"Yeah?"

"Just want to say, you're damn good at what you do and it's been an honor serving with you these past six years."

"Why thank you, Jacob. Same here. But then we'll be working together for a long time, right, or should I say arguing together?"

"Yeah. The reason we bicker so much is because we're too much a like, ya know."

"Yes, all our head-butting has been worth it." He smiled at Jacob, knew they'd gotten sidetracked but then maybe it was for the best.

"Sure was. Course besides arguing over whom was in charge of the missions most of it's been about Sam. Personally, I think we entertain her."

"Well then, there's that . . .Sam's warped sense of humor, I mean. Yeah, it's been a cool ride, Dad." Jack softly laughed, his heart picking up momentum as Jacob steered them back to the real reason he was here.

"You broke your promise. When I asked you to take care of her, I didn't just mean as your 2IC, Jack."

"I know." He acknowledged with a guilty tone.

"And neither you nor Sam told me she was seeing someone else. If I'd known, I maybe could have-"

"What?" Jack spouted in annoyance. "Talked her out of fishing for a bigger, better, younger fish? If anyone could have stopped her, it would have been me. Hell, I encouraged her."

"Well, I figured that much!" He snorted. "And now look at the fine kettle of fish you've made. Damnit, Jack, Sam should be ecstatic about picking out flowers for her wedding. But she didn't want to leave this morning, and not because of the Anubis threat, because she wanted to be here-with you, not Whatshisface!"

"Then why were you bugging her about the wedding flowers?"

"To get her attention and annoy you. But you just stood there like a bump on a log, acting like a Mr. Nice Guy, like a patient, considerate CO!"

"Coz, I am a nice guy, Jacob, and I am a patient, considerate CO!" Jack's fisted hand slammed the desktop and sent papers flying as Walter entered the Briefing Room and stared in from the adjoining window.

"General O'Neill?" Harriman's concerned voice came through the office door.

"What?" Jack barked.

"Is everything all right, sir?"

"Just fricking rosy, Walter! Now go do whatever the hell it is you do around here!"

"Yes, sir!" The Sergeant practically fled the Briefing Room.

"Patient? Considerate?" Jacob snickered and shook his head.

"Your point?" Jack glared and scrubbed a hand through his hair, berating himself.

"As I was saying." Jacob Carter calmly turned back to him. "I know my Sammy. She's having second thoughts that she's making a big, huge mistake."

"Ah, crap, Jacob! Whatcha expect from me?" Jack threw up his hands.

"I expect that if you still love my daughter, you'll do the right thing by her and by me." He dropped back into the chair and shut his eyes, breathing heavily.

"I thought I was doing the right thing," Jack muttered. "I let her fly."

"Did anyone ever tell you that you're a stupid jackass?"

"Not since I became the Man, Jacob. But thanks for reminding me." He sniffed and kneaded his aching temples with his fingertips.

"This Johnson woman? You serious about her?"

"Gave it a go." He shrugged. "But . . .no, not serious." He saw relief in Jacob's blue gaze.

"So." Jacob leaned closer in his chair. "Do you still love Samantha?"

Jack shut his tired aching eyes, and gave an affirmative nod.

"Holy Hannah! I wish I had the energy to toss both of your bony asses in a room and toss the key."

"It worked once. Teal'c and Daniel . . ." Jack sobered at the lethal expression on the older man's face. "Um, sorry." He rolled his eyes and prayed for heavenly intervention.

"I don't have time for this, Jack!" Jacob Carter rose unsteadily and Jack rushed to his side, but the proud man shoved him off only to slump back into the chair.

"You okay, Dad?" Jack kept his hand on the older man's trembling shoulder.

"Yes. I just don't have much time left." He opened the water bottle and took a long drink.

"Oh, you gotta return to the top secretive-we Tau'ri don't know where the hell it is, Tok'ra base?"

"No." Jacob rubbed his creased forehead. "Jack?"

"What?" He blew out through his mouth with a popping noise.

"I may not have always have shown it, or said it, but I do love you like my own son."

Settling on the edge of his desk Jack looked at his hands and blushed. "Yeah, Selmak told me that a few years back, just before Sam and I got hitched."

"Because I let him. Guess you've rubbed off on me. Heck, I tried not to like you when we met in Washington, but I did. I just wanted you to hear it from me personally now. Besides Sam, no one ever calls me Dad. Not even Mark," he said with regret.

"Hey, I've never meant it disrespectfully, Jacob, sir."

Jacob smiled with a nod. "Jack, if I hadn't wanted you to call me Dad, I'd have shut you down years ago?"

"Yes. Yes you would have." Jack grinned. He loved Dad.

"You're the only man I fully trust to love her well and take care of her."

"Sam doesn't need me or anyone to take care of her, Jacob."

"Don't be an ass, Jack. We all need someone to love. Yes, you're both physically, mentally, and as much as I doubt it, emotionally self-sufficient-"

"Buut?" Jack brandished a hand.

"You're in love with Sam and she's in love with you. You guys were created for each other. In fact, Selmak insists you're chosen hearts . . .or something like that. "

"Used to believe that, Jacob, maybe still do. But she's picked a younger, brighter and more caring man." He sniffed a breath and pulled out his new plastic yoyo. He tried walking the dog, but it just wasn't as smooth as the wooden one Sam had given him five years ago. He dropped it back into his pocket and scowled deep. Nothing was the same and never would be again.

"Younger perhaps. But I highly doubt the brighter and more caring part. Let me make this clear. I don't like Shanahan. Don't want to. Let alone have time to. Besides there's something shifty about him."

That got Jack's attention.

"Maybe, if I knew Sam truly loved him and was happy, I could-"

"What?" Jack's hands circled the air.

"Hell, I'm dying, Jack."

He opened his mouth, but Jacob waved him off. "You can't tell Sam! Promise?"

"Yeah, I promise, now tell me what's going on with you and Selmy?"

He did.

~*~

Jack apologized to Walter. Again.

Jacob never made it to the airport. Jack escorted him to the infirmary where they filled in Doctor Brightman on Jacob/Selmak's condition and put in a call to the Tok'ra. He had Walter contact Mark, but only relayed that Jacob wouldn't be coming today. It killed Jack that he'd promised not to tell Sam.

Jacob insisted he had time to talk to Sam, but first wanted Jack to get his act together and didn't want Sam to know they'd talked about personal issues, let alone Jacob's failing health. Times like this, Jack wanted to screw political protocol and bury diplomacy! But Jacob reminded him that if Sam ever found out he had talked to Jack first there'd be hell to pay! Sam's hell! Jack hated when Jacob was right.

Jack found himself with another serious dilemma. Cassandra. He'd assumed he had all the time in the world for Jacob to meet his granddaughter. Bad enough that Cassandra knew, but with Jacob off world this last year, it had given Jack another excuse for not telling Sam about Cassandra, Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive yada, yada.

Engaging their telepathic gift, Jack told Cassandra the sad news and she was on her way home. He now had to figure out how to tell Jacob and hoped it didn't all backfire, especially with Sam.

So far, so good, except for the matter with Jack and Sam's son, Re'tu Charlie or as he'd chosen to be addressed, Chuck, to distinguish himself from Jack's first son, Charlie. Not that there were as many similarities now. Chuck had grown into his own person but despite his symbiote's influence, Chuck remained uniquely human, thanks to Jacob.

Every since he'd blended with the Tok'ra Mu'ten, in order to heal his messed up body, Chuck and Jacob had established a tight loving relationship. They were after all, grandpa and grandson. Because Jack and Sam couldn't be part of his life like they'd wanted, Jack had envied his father-in-law. But until this last year when the Tok'ra pulled a vanishing act, Jack and Sam had managed to keep in touch with Chuck, even if it wasn't together. Neither had been able to tell their son that they were no longer together romantically. And, now they had to tell Cassandra she had a fourteen-year-old brother, who was technically seven year, well more or less. Yep things had just gotten sticker.

Jacob had requested Chuck be summoned and Jack had spoken to one of the Tok'ra through the gate. They said Chuck would be told, but he was on a mission-Jack turned livid. Just because Chuck's symbiote was six hundred years old, didn't mean Jack's teenage son had to be playing I-Spy! He'd no idea how Sam would respond to this crappy news.

Jack couldn't get Sam off his mind anymore than he could get her out his blood or heart. He found himself revisiting the last twenty plus years of his life including as far back as his first memory of Sam and Nirrti. Odd, he'd not remembered it until Teal'c had jostled his memory that day two years ago when Sam was so close to turning into a puddle of H20 in Nirrti's dungeon. He'd realized then that the Keeper of the Stars had brought him and Sam together for a significant purpose and not so it could end with her marrying Pete. They had a daughter and after all, they'd been through together, especially the last eight years, he believed they were going to grow old together. He just wished the Lord would show him how?

Nursing his seventh cup of coffee, he wearily dropped into his chair and eased a hand into his BDU pants pocket. He'd forgotten to take off his wedding ring yesterday afternoon. Fortunately he'd slipped it into his pocket before he collided with Carter in the corridor. Juggling the silver band between his fingers now, he contemplated all that wise Jacob had shared with him. The saddest news remained that Jacob and Selmak were dying.

"As much as I love, Sam, I won't be here for her wedding, Jack. Truth is I couldn't stand to see my Sammy marry anyone else, but you. You must promise you won't let her marry him."

"I promise, Jacob."

He unconsciously slipped the ring onto his wedding finger, picked up the phone and dialed Kerry's phone.

"Hi, Jack."

"Hey there. Say, there's some serious stuff going down here-" He looked at his left hand and how natural the ring felt there. Belonged there.

"Canceling our afternoon barbecue?" He heard the tenseness in her voice. This wasn't going to be as easy as he thought.

"No. Actually, it's important we talk, Kerry. I'll be home at noon. Can you still get away that early?"

"Sure. I've already taken the day off."

"Sweet. See ya then."

"Bye, Jack."

"Yeah," his mind wandered to Sam and flowers. "See you in an hour." Jack hung up and noted the quiet dominant presence occupying his open doorway.

"C'mon in, T." He discreetly tried to ease the ring off his finger but it bucked at his knuckle and he dropped his hands into his lap, trying to yank the band free.

"Bra'tac and I are about to leave again, O'Neill."

"Ahh, yes. I knew that. Want me to see you guys off?" He grimaced tugging away, then realized it wasn't the most discreet image from Teal'c's point of view. Nope, the Jaffa was turning red beneath his bronze skin.

"That will not be necessary. However, I first require a moment of your time." Teal'c entered the office and shut the door, looking at the floor while Jack yanked.

Yank!

Yank!

"Closing the door?" Shit! Jack pushed to his feet, hoping this wasn't a repeat performance and Teal'c was dying! Jack never did trust that Tretonin.

"Deeply symbolic, O'Neill."

"Yeah, I've heard." He tugged on the ring and then flinched when it came off. Strange he never recalled it fitting that tight before. "So what's on your hairy mind, T?" He dropped the band into his pocket then sucked his bruised knuckle.

"Besides many individual hairs?" Teal'c smiled with a brow raise, until his astute gaze tracked to Jack sucking his on his finger.

"Oy, you're still practicing. Good." Jack laughed. 'Now's probably a good time to stand and prove there is no action going on below the waist.' He stood and tugged at the hem of his BDU shirt across his flat stomach. 'See T, I'm so not playing with myself.' He unconsciously waved his left hand in the air, noting his knuckle was fiery red. Teal'c's tensed face softened when Jack retracted his misguided limb back into his pocket.

"I regret that circumstances do not allow us sufficient time needed to converse, O'Neill, so I will bite the headlights before I depart."

"That's hit the highlights, T." Jack gently corrected.

"Whatever."

Jack grinned. "Sure. Spill." Hr gestured to a chair.

"It is you who should be seated, my Tau'ri brethren."

Jack so didn't like Teal'c's formal tone, let alone he only called him 'Tau'ri brethren,' when it was personal crap. And it'd been a long time since . . .

"We need converse on the love lives of you and Samantha Carter."

"Oh, for crying out loud! What is this? Bitch at Jack Day?"

"It is indeed."

~*~

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"Jacob?" Jack hated waking the sleeping man, but Cassandra stood anxiously at his side and Jack only had few minutes of legit privacy as he'd had Siler mess with the observation booth's audio and the security camera. They had about twenty minutes of guaranteed privacy.

"Jack?" Jacob yawned as he smiled and then looked at Cassandra.

"Um, yeah, I have something to tell you, Dad, but you first must know that Sam doesn't know yet." Jack scrunched his face and rubbed his neck.

Jacob smiled and reached out his translucent blue-veined hand to Cassandra. "Hey, kiddo."

"General Carter." Cassandra accepted his hand as he drew her closer. "I wish . . ." she nibbled her lower lip as tears welled in her eyes. Jack put his arm around her trembling shoulders and gave her a reassuring hug.

"Hey, I thought we came to an understanding, last time. No more formalities." Jacob lectured.

She smiled with a nod.

"How about you call me, Granddad, Cass?"

Cassandra gaped and looked at Jack. "Dad?"

"I, um, err, wow!" Jack stuttered and shrugged at his daughter's shocked expression than at Jacob.

"Nice to know I can still mess with your head, Jack." Jacob gave a frail grin and urged Cassandra to sit on the edge of his bed, so he could put his arm around her.

"Hey, relax you two. I've known for sometime but vowed to the Tok'ra that I'd not tell you. Now I've no reason to keep silent." He reached up and smoothed Cassandra's long sandy brown hair. "I figured Sam didn't know. If she did, she'd be here with you guys."

Jack nodded with Cassandra. "I've meant to tell her, Jacob." He felt the heat of guilt stain his face.

Cassandra interrupted. "Even though I didn't agree with Dad's reasoning, I respected it Granddad, I'm sorry. We've lost so much time together. You're the only grandfather I've got."

Jacob gave a weak nod. "I'm sorry too, Kiddo. Apparently the Tok'ra have been observing Nirrti for years. They even had spies among her Jaffa when she was abducting humans from earth for her breeding experiments . . .God help me, I'd no idea she'd abducted Sam or you Jack, until Selmak told me four months ago."

"What do you want me to do, Dad?"

"Whatever you can to let me have some quality time with my granddaughter." He drew Cassandra closer and she bent over and kissed his baldhead.

"Good as done." Jack smiled, smiled at Cassandra and then turned to go find Siler-again. As he approached the SF's in the open doorway, he waved his hands. "Shoo! Give these folks some privacy!"

"Yes, sir!" The guards left the doorway and went to take their position at the end of the corridor. Being the Man, had advantages.

"Hey, Dad?" Cassandra chased after him, flung herself into his arms and sobbed against his chest. "Thanks for telling me. For letting us . . ."

"Hey." Holding her tight, Jack struggled with the emotions strangling his voice. "I just wished it'd been sooner, Sunshine, and you two had more time together."

"We'll make it enough time, Dad." She smiled through her tears at him. Jack glanced over her brown head to where Jacob watched them with his own tearful gaze.

"Cassandra?" Jack asked softly as he rubbed her tensed shoulders and then stepped back looking into her watery brown eyes. "Try to be strong. Let Jacob see himself in you, okay?"

"K." She wiped her nose against his BDU and smiled back. "Love you, Dad."

"Double ditto. Now go get to know your Granddad."

~*~

House! Dog! Her head still spinning from the latest bomb Pete had dropped on her, Sam had lied and said she needed to be back on base. So here she sat in the General's driveway chewing her nails and staring at his beautiful house. The house she wanted to live in-with him. And if Jack wanted a dog, she'd buy it for him! It's not like she hadn't planned to break it off with Pete today. She had. She just needed to work into it and had hoped to talk to Jack this morning, first. Thanks to Dad that blew up in her face. And then she'd found herself with Pete, faking the, 'I'm Getting Married In The Morning'' song and dance routine. And, to top it off, reassuring him that Dad really did like him. She was such a rotten, deceitful bitch! She knew where that part of ISam had come from. Samantha Carter could be selfish and coldhearted. Pete deserved better!

Not sleeping last night and going over the last ten-scratch that-twenty-plus years of her life had put things in perspective. Besides Dad and Mark, she had her own family, Jack, Cassandra and Chuck. Chuck was going to be another matter, but there had to be someway to convince the Tok'ra to let their son live her and Jack. Sam had every intention to win Jack back and fight to put her family together, again. She had already applied for an opening at the Pentagon and would gladly resign her post at the SGC, anything to have Jack forever, always. Now she had to prove it.

For the second time, Sam reached for the car's doorknob and then nervously slumped back in her seat. Easier said than done. One of the last times she'd tried to broach this subject was the morning Joe Spencer had waved a gun in Jack's face. If that incident had not occurred, she and Jack would have shared a beer omelet and she would have confessed her heart. But then, she got bent out of shape because Joe called Pete and almost told him everything. Praise God, she'd picked up the phone in time.

Sure she'd been angry that Jack had kept that vital information to himself and Joe had stuck his nose in their private affair. But charging into his office had been her excuse to take it out of the room. Trouble was, she hadn't expected him to pull the guilt trust trip on her. Man, she'd never been so mortified. He'd shoved her unfaithfulness in her face and instead of admitting he was right, she'd told him to get his own love life. Sam had always known to never challenge Jack O'Neill on anything she didn't think she might lose, because he would follow through. And he did! Dumb blonde!

Okay, Sam, this has to happen! She had to know where she stood. She drew a pained breath and let it out. Get a grip, woman! It's just Jack, and from that familiar smell he's doing one of the things he does best, burning steaks.

~*~

Jack stood on the patio grilling, nope burning, and doused the charcoaled meat with more beer. His mind was so not on the meal or the fact that Kerry had kept their lunch date. Thankfully, she hadn't pursued their conversation from last night. If anything, she seemed glad to see him. But there'd been no kisses or hugs, just small talk about work. Of course, he couldn't tell her Anubis was back in town and she knew better than ask.

But he had noticed she'd cleared her toiletries from the master bathroom as well as her clothes, and his house key now sat alone on the kitchen counter. Jack felt relief. He knew this was their last date. He'd intended to break it off after they ate but this was a matter of dignity for her. So he'd let her deal the cards. She deserved that much and more.

Knowing Jacob was dying brought his priorities and his life into focus. Like remembering life in this world is fleeting. Although he still hadn't given up on Daniel dropping out of the clouds naked-again. No, he refused to believe that Space Monkey was dead. He couldn't, not now.

It also brought up the issue of him and Sam. Jacob had asked that he be there for her, especially when and after he died. This hadn't been the first time Jacob made that request. It had been several if he thought about it. The last, after Anubis' drone had attacked Sam. But Jack had let Jacob down. He wouldn't this time. He had promised to care for Sam, always. He would.

"'I mean it, Jack. If you don't tell Sam you still love her and take care of her like a husband should, Selmak and I will haunt you the rest of your life-"' Not a pleasant prospect Jack looked forward to, a grouchy old General and a philosophical snake.

And then, before gating to Dakara, Teal'c played catch-up with Jack's scrambled gray cells. By the time he'd finished, Jack's emotions ranged from wanting to personally gut Fifth and Replicarter, to joyful relief! He and Sam weren't nuts, they were Branded! And Sam had given Pete the boot five months ago! Go figure!!

~*~

Doh! Jack blinked and fanned the smoke rising from the grill. He was burning the steaks-again! He turned his beer bottle upside down and began dousing the fire.

"Hi, sir."

"Carter!" Jack squeezed out her name around the lump in his throat. Dang! Man, she looked hot in her pale blue sweater set and skirt.

"Look, I-I'm sorry to bother you at home like this, but, uh . . ."

"How'd you know I was here?" He glanced nervously toward the house.

"I saw the smoke." She indicated the grill with her electric smile.

"Oh, yeah." He brushed ashes off his long sleeved shirt and grimaced.

"Look, is this . . .is this okay? I mean I could have called first, but-"

"No . . .yeah . . .I mean, it's fine. So, um." He glanced at the house, praying Kerry didn't come out-at all. "What brings you to this neck of the woods on such a fine day in my backyard?" He flung his bottle around, sloshing beer over the bottle's mouth. 'You're pathetic, Jack!'

"Well, actually, I've, um," she cleared her throat. "I've been sitting in your driveway for the last ten minutes trying to work up the nerve to come and talk to you."

Jack's brows danced upward. 'Crap! Is she about to say what I've wanted her to say? Here? Now? Please, God, not now?' He realized she was as pale and nervous as he was. Chewing her lower lip. 'Oh, yeah, the sky's about to fall!'

"The truth is I've been trying to work up the nerve for a lot longer than that." She smiled anxiously up at him.

"Oh?" He gestured for her to continue and kept praying Kerry stayed put.

"Pete put a down payment on a house."

That sucks! "Well, that's great!" He stabbed the barbecue prong into the steak, imagining it was Pete. She did realize he didn't mean 'great,' right?

"It's a beautiful house." Oh, crap!

"But?" Please God?

"The-the truth is, I'm having second thoughts about the wedding."

"Why?" Massively confused, he stared at her, hoping she saw his well . . .massive confusion.

"See, the . . . the thing is, the closer it gets, the more I get the feeling that . . . I'm making a big, huge mistake."

'Dear God! Jacob's right! She's going to say it here, now!' He looked helplessly at her, seeing her desperation, then glanced toward the patio doors. 'Say something, Jackass! "Look, Carter, the . . . 'your timing stinks' I don't know what . . ." 'to say before Kerry waltzes out and you two start a catfight! Not that it wouldn't be entertaining for me a guy . . .Oy!'

"Look, I'm sorry to bother you with this, but, uh . . .see, there's actually a very good 'reason' that I'm bothering you with this, and if I don't tell you now, I might never . . ."

Yes! Jack's heart soared. Dang! His alert gaze caught Kerry's reflection against the patio door, just before she strolled out of the house with a salad bowl in one hand and a dish of veggies in the other.

"Jack, I looked everywhere - I could not find . . ." And stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of Sam.

Jack watched Sam close her eyes in disbelief, then make a face before turning toward Kerry. Just shoot me Jack screamed inside his head.

"Colonel Carter." Kerry glanced at Jack, who forged a casual smile.

Sam nodded to her, then turns toward Jack. The hurt in her glistening blue eyes shattered him.

"Ms. Johnson," he said in his bullfrog voice, yep goodtime to get laryngitis.

"Yeah, I didn't-I didn't . . ." Sam looked at her shoes.

"We were just . . . meeting here in my backyard on this fine day to discuss the state of affairs." 'What a moronic line of bull, Jack!' At least be original.

Sam nodded and held his skittish gaze. 'Heck, she didn't buy it!'

"Well, this is awkward!" Kerry juggled the dishes.

"Ya think?" Sam flung out at Jack.

Kerry came to his defense. "Jack didn't want anyone at the SGC to know about us." He hurried to her and took the salad bowl and dish from her, the least he could do. 'Now what?'

Humiliated, Sam stuttered, "No, look, I, uh, uh, I'm sorry, this is my fault, I really, I shouldn't have come by unannounced like this."

Kerry glanced at Jack who'd already donned his deadpan expression. She picked up the deflated dialogue. "Well, ya know, now that the cat's out of the bag. You're here, why don't you just stay? I'm sure there's enough charred meat on the grill for all three of us."

Jack gestured at Sam with a burnt steak. Even though he knew it was faked, Sam laughed.

"No-thank you-I, um . . ." Sam's cell phone rang. She removed it and looked at the Caller ID. "SGC," then, "Colonel Carter," she answered.

Kerry smiled at Jack and walked over to him. He offered her his beer bottle and waited for God to strike him dead. That reprieve didn't come. He had to clear this matter up now, even it meant losing Kerry's friendship and his career. 'Yep, soon as she hangs up I'll-'

"What? When? Okay, I'm on my way." Sam shut the phone and waved it at Jack. "I-I gotta go. Uh, it's my dad." She turned and ran toward her car.

No! Heart racing, Jack watched Sam's swift retreat. His first instinct was to give her chase, but he forced his feet to stay planted. Which hurt! He felt Kerry's tolerant gaze, turned toward her and took back his beer.

"We need to talk, Jack." She reached out but he bypassed her touch.

"Yes, but not now." His mind on Sam and Jacob, Jack doused the fire with beer, then felt Kerry's fingers coil around his wrist, stopping his action.

"Go to her." She gestured toward the driveway. Sam was already driving out.

"Kerry-I . . ." He held her understanding brown gaze.

"You need to get back to the base, I know."

"Yeah." He nodded with a grimace.

"I'll lockup." She smiled reassurance.

"Thanks." He bent and kissed her cheek. "You're the best." And he raced down the patio steps to his truck.

"Yeah." Kerry tipped the warm beer to her lips. "But apparently not the best for you, Jack O'Neill."

~*~

Two hours later, Jack sat at his desk trying to make sense of the mess he and Sam had made of their lives. No! The mess Fifth and Replicarter had made of their lives. And now Sam was sitting at Jacob's bedside, hearing that he was dying. 'Dear Jesus, give me strength to be there for her!'

A tap on his door caused him to look up. Kerry. 'God, help me out here?' Jack smiled and gestured her into his office.

"How's Colonel Carter's father?"

"Doesn't look good."

"Sorry to hear that." She accepted his invitation and shut the door.

"Closing the door." Oy! Again?

"Yeah. Deeply symbolic."

"Really?" Day ja view!

Kerry smiled at him awkwardly. "I really like you. We're good together."

'Here we go, old man. Treat her with respect. She deserves a lot more.'

"Yes. We are. But?" He stood up.

"You have issues. It's okay - we all do. There's just one 'big one' in particular that I don't think I can love with . . ."

Jack's eyebrows arched at the L word.

"Live with." She flinched. "I need to get out before I get more involved." She gestured toward the door. "We can still work together, can't we? I'd hate to have to ask for reassignment. This is really important to me. We agreed this would never affect the job.

"We did." Jack smiled. This was far easier than he'd imagined.

"Good." She walked toward the closed door and then turned, putting her hands on slender hips. "You know, there's just one thing I don't understand." She looked him straight on.

"Just one?" he teased gently.

"Is the Air Force the only thing keeping you two apart? Rules and regulations?" She paused and they shared a look. "Coz if it is, you're making a very big mistake."

A heartbeat.

"And you know what I should do?" He'd take all the advice he could get.

"Retire." She smiled.

"Again." Even though retirement was on his Crap List.

"Don't get me wrong." She stepped forward. "You are considered invaluable to the program by the Pentagon, but the President has appointed a civilian to run the SGC before."

Jack nodded. Yep, he'd considered that too.

"Just a thought." Smiling, Kerry Johnson left Jack with his dignity.

He screwed his eyes shut and blew out a breath, then slumped into his chair and scrubbed his weary face. What a fricking screwed up day!

Between Jacob reaming him out, Teal'c's stroll-down memory lane and then Carter's surprise visit this afternoon, he could no longer deny what he'd been trying to avoid, talking to Carter . . .er um, Sam. "I love her. Dear Lord, how I love her!"

He glanced heavenward and recalled their wedding vows four years ago. What God had brought together let no man put asunder. "So I'm a slow learner, Lord."

"General?"

"Walter?" Jack looked up to see the Staff Sergeant's solemn expression and hoped he'd not heard his declaration of love for Sam.

"It's General Carter, he's requesting to speak with you."

"On my way!"

~*~

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

After sitting at her dad's bedside until he'd fallen asleep Sam had finally stopped shaking. Now she leaned over the bathroom sink in her SGC quarters and splashed cold water over her flushed face and puffy red eyes. In the background Cassandra's favorite chick group the, "Barlow Girls" CD played. But the manta of Dad's words kept pounding in her head like a brass band drowning it all out.

"Don't let rules and regulations stand in your way, Sam. You can still have everything you want. Don't let rules and . . . "

Well, everything she'd wanted, one General Jack O'Neill, had worn a path in the concrete floor outside Dad's private Infirmary room, but she'd been too embarrassed by their afternoon fiasco to face him. And she figured most of his pacing had to do with Dad's critical condition, not her. After all, Jack had a girlfriend and it wasn't Sam.

"So now what, Colonel Carter?" Sam wiped off the remainder of smeared makeup and mascara wondering if it was worth reapplying. Not that it was the question she needed to answer. Still, she skidded around the other issue. Since dating Pete she'd gotten used to wearing more makeup. Why? Because unlike Jack, Pete liked her dolled up with heavy mascara and eyeliner. Naturally Jack liked her natural, as he'd put it. "You're already beautiful, Carter," he'd once said. "A little lipstick and blusher's fine, but you don't need to doll up for me."

Brushing fine bangs from her forehead, she stared at the middle-aged woman in the mirror and almost didn't recognize her. A painful sob clamped around Sam's chest.

"Nearly forty, Carter, and what do you have? You've finally getting to know your father, the man who you lived to please and emulate your entire life, and now he's dying-for real this time. And the one man you cannot live without has a girlfriend. So do you fight for him or let him fly?"

Suddenly, all her over-thinking and theorizing how she would put her family back together seemed at best, a crap shot. Had it been worth it? Walking away from the one safe bet in her life? Oh, she'd grownup this last year and was emotionally stronger. At least, she hoped so. Right or wrong, splitting with Jack had forced her to take risks she might never have done otherwise. She'd rounded out as an individual and as a woman. One thing she knew, she was about to discover what life was like without a man in her life twenty-four seven. Yeah, she would break up with Pete, today, if possible. The sweet guy deserved someone who was passionately in love with him, not in love with the world's definition of being in love. How could she define true love? She wanted to believe that what she'd felt all these years for Jack was the magic emotion. More than a magic emotion, she felt a sense of commitment woven throughout their relationship.

But as for Jack, well, despite what Dad, Teal'c and even Daniel might believe, she obviously wasn't part of his future. She saw no way to pickup their shattered pieces and put them back together, especially as she had broken them.

She did know that no matter how painful it would be to not have Jack in her life, even as her CO, she would survive. She just didn't want to do it on her own. But she also didn't want to depend on another man. Whom but herself could she depend on? And why didn't that seem enough? Let's face it, so far, genius astrophysicist Samantha Carter's personal life-decisions sucked.

"So who defines Samantha Carter?"

"Who am I?"

"Whom do I belong to?"

"And why had I thought to find happiness outside the mountain with anyone other than my godsend? Who am I to let society set my values and priorities and decide who or what should make me happy? Maybe Cassandra's all I need. But like Jack, Cassandra believes I need God twenty-four seven.

"So where in this vast universe are You, God? I mean Jack's always talking up Your sovereignty. Okay, I'm not Jack. I don't have his faith. I need a sign, that You're listening and that no one else's opinion matters but Yours. Help me stop looking to others for approval and unconditional love. Amen."

After blowing her nose, Sam gazed longingly into the bathroom mirror and then as if carried on the wings of angels, a simply song told her exactly what she needed to believe.

'Mirror, Mirror on the wall; Have I got it? 'Cause Mirror you've always told me who I am I'm finding it's not easy to be perfect So sorry, you won't define me Sorry, you don't own me'

'Who are you to tell me that I'm less than what I should be? Who are you? Who are you? I don't need to listen to the list of things I should do I won't try; I won't try, You don't define me, You don't define me'

'Mirror I am seeing a new reflection I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me To Him I have beauty beyond compare I know He defines me'

'Who are you to tell me that I'm less than what I should be? Who are you? Who are you? I don't need to listen to the list of things I should do I won't try; I won't try You don't define me, You don't define me'

'Mirror I am seeing a new reflection I'm looking into the eyes of He who made me To Him I have beauty beyond compare I know He defines me'

Tears of joy warming her cheeks, Sam embraced what she'd so long tried to live without and, most of all, deny. God loved her unconditionally and no matter what the future might bring, He defined her and He alone was all she needed. Like Jack had so often said, "At best life's a crapshoot, but with God it's a cakewalk, Carter."

~*~

'You've heard my sorry excuses Seen my careless heart Yet here you stand - undaunted With opened arms Loving me, for who I am - Always'

His hands jammed into his BDU pockets Jack stepped into the doorway of Sam's lab watching her switch off the equipment that normally hummed in the background of her domain. She'd respectfully left the infirmary when the Tok'ra arrived to pay their last greetings to Jacob. Scared shitless, Jack wasn't certain how to broach their uncomfortable dilemma but after promising Jacob, he knew it must be now. Besides she'd tried to tell him something very personal a few hours back. He just hoped she hadn't had second thoughts.

Sink or swim, O'Neill. Just hope, Sam's your life preserver!

Boy, he'd rather be tortured on Baal's spider web than face rejection from Samantha Carter. This wasn't the first time he'd been in this situation. He clearly recalled the night after he'd gone Ancient and went to her house. Jack's heart now ached fiercely with that memory. They'd spent the night together in each other's arms, making plans for their future. What he wouldn't give to be there then, starting over with his wife. The only solace he had was her arrival at his house today followed by Jacob and Teal'c's reassurances that Sam was still in love with him.

Jack had been looking for Sam since he'd left Jacob an hour ago. He was about to have Walter put out an APB when he made one last sweep past her lab. Even with Anubis knocking at their front door she was putting things away, shutting down the lab. He swallowed the bitter bile that burned his throat. Sam was preparing to be gone awhile-for Jacob's funeral and then to spend time with Mark and his family. Emotional pain welled up like a fist in Jack's throat. He cursed at the unfairness of knowing Jacob's inevitable death had to be killing the woman he loved. Recalling Charlie's death, Jack vowed to do whatever was necessary to ease her suffering.

As always between them, Sam sensed his presence. Without turning she asked with a tremor, "Is-there something you wanted, General?"

"Oh, um, yeah." He sliced his security card and then aimed his remote at the camera, shutting it down the same time the door sealed behind him.

"Sir?" Sam glanced at the closed steel door and the dead camera before she frowned.

"Perks." He grinned and waved the remote before dropping it into his pocket, then slipping off his button-down BDU shirt. He was so nervous he was sweating like a pig.

She nodded wearily as Jack jammed the long sleeves of his black t-shirt up his forearms. "Um, I booked Mark and his family on the next flight and set them up at the Hilton. The SGC will pick up their tab and . . .all funeral expenses." He felt her expectant gaze. "Oh, and soon as realized Dad wasn't, well, ya know . . . I requested the Tok'ra gate Charlie, sorry, I mean Chuck here."

Thank you, sir."

"Think nothing of it, Samantha." That got her attention.

"It's such a lousy way for us to him after all this time, though."

"Yeah, it sucks about Chuck. But he's a strong kid. He'll be okay. Besides, Jacob said he already knew."

She merely nodded while her wary gaze returned to the secured door. She worried her lower lip and he noted the color staining her cheeks. Meanwhile, he was sweating in places he didn't think possible.

"So." She hedged a smile as she snapped her laptop shut.

"So." He coughed nervously and rocked on the heels of his shoes. "Erm . . .yes, well, think we should to talk, huh?" He smiled as she toyed with her engagement ring, and then stuck her hands behind her back. She never wore it on base, but then, under the circumstances, she'd probably forgotten to take it off, right? Jack further agonized. No matter how much Dad or Teal'c had assured him, did he have a right to say what he wanted? What if she'd changed her mind? What if? Doubts plagued him like a thousand attacking replicators. But the moment he held her liquid azure gaze, he knew that after tap dancing around the situation for so long, he had to take the risk and tell her . . . he still loved her.

Openly anxious, Sam bounced her clenched fists against her slender thighs and walked to within a few feet of him. "Sir, about my showing up unannounced at your house. It won't happen again."

'Darn right it won't.' He smiled, trying to reassure her.

" Um . . . I'm sorry, really." She kept her gaze riveted on his jaw or neck he wasn't sure which, but it was darn disconcerting.

"Sorry?" That, he so didn't get. "Samantha," he drawled, "this is Jack you're talking to." He took another step-close enough to inhale the lingering fragrance of strawberry shampoo and vanilla body lotion and the distinct heady scent that was Sam's alone. His Sam, if he had any say in the matter. It was then he realized her face had been scrubbed clean and she only wore lip-gloss and blusher while her blue eyes, even though puffy from crying, sparkled all on their own.

"Sir, I'd no right being there or saying-" She clamped down on her lip as if she were going to cry.

"Yes." He closed their distance and pressed two fingertips to her warm trembling lips. "You had every right. I'm glad you came over and said what you said. Ah, dang! I just wished I'd had the backbone to say something the day you hummed in the elevator, or at least, been more articulate today. When I realized what you were trying to tell me, I went brain-dead and my heart thought it would detonate from emotional overload."

"Oh!" She gawked.

He rambled. "Hope I didn't souse your sweater with beer?"

"No." She was blushing profusely.

"I really wished Kerry hadn't been there."

"You do?" Her lake blue eyes welled up with fresh tears.

"Yesiree." He smiled and scooped her quivering chin into his hands and tipped her face toward his. "Let's take it out of the room for good, Samantha."

"You're certain?"

"Positive."

"I've been thinking-"

"Nah ah!" Jack flagged his hand. "All of your thinking, analyzing and evaluating is half our problem. For once listen with your heart," his voice softened, "and most of all listen to me, please, Sam?"

"K." She nodded as he urged her into his embrace.

"To show how messed up I am over you, I started smoking."

"Sir?" Her blue eyes turned saucer size.

"Oh, just one, last night. It was gross." He shuddered. "Course, the pack was two years old." He snorted.

"Yuck!" Sam mimicked his body shudder.

"Yeah. That was wrong on just so many levels. Not happening again."

"Good." She smiled wistfully up at him.

"And," he blew out a breath, "Kerry and I split." He commanded her gaze and held it, caressed.

"Oh-I'm sorry, I . . ." She searched his tensed features.

"For cryin' out loud! Will you drop the sorry line?"

"Sorry. Sure. Okay." She gulped and closed her eyes, compressing her lips tight.

"Samantha, look at me."

She obeyed. "You've called me Samantha twice, sir."

"Yes, I did. Get used to it." He grinned wider. "Besides Kerry said she couldn't live with my issues."

"We all have issues, sir." She sounded defensive of him and he liked that. "Yours are just well, more complex, a lot like mine."

"Sure are. But she especially couldn't live with one 'big' issue in particular as in, 'you and me'."

"Holy Hannah!" He felt Sam's astonished gaze as his hands caressed her ribs and then encircled her waist. "She knows?"

"Oh, yeah. I suspect for sometime. Actually, it was a relief. Even if you hadn't shown up today, I would have broken it off. I was using Kerry to get over you, but it wasn't working. We both knew it. Besides, she doesn't want marriage or kids."

"Marriage? Kids?"

"You do still want those things?" he asked nervously.

"Oh, of course!" She smiled then sobered. "Apparently we're both leeches." Sam admitted with a look of regret. "I'll tell Pete soon as Dad-" She started to cry and Jack held onto her.

"Go ahead, Babe, let it out." He smoothed her silky hair while murmuring reassurances.

"You called me, Babe." She snuffed against his shirt.

"You turn anal about that?" He flinched.

"No! I love it. I wouldn't let Pete call me Babe. In fact, you're the only one who can call me that sexist pet name."

"Wow! I always knew I was pushing the envelope there. So, I've got exclusives, huh?"

"Yeah sure yabetcha."

"Well, gosh, golly and go figure!" A quiet lull of contentment followed as he held her and gave God silent thanks. "Sam?"

"What?" She glanced up at him.

"About Pete. You were about to marry him."

"Yes." She nibbled her lips. "Big huge mistake. And I suppose you're wondering why?"

"Well, yeah, I mean. If you still have feelings for me? He audibly gulped. I'm just confused, but then I get confused easily."

"No, you have every right to be confused." She tossed up her hands. "I wanted what everyone else has, sir. I wanted a life outside this mountain, away from fighting the evil Goa'uld, Replicators, etc., etc., I wanted what I thought was norm and what the world expected of me, even Dad expected. I thought if I met and fell in love with someone 'normal,' I could be happily normal. I set my standard for happiness on a pedestal I could never obtain. I let others define who I am, instead of God and me." Sam drew a long breath and stared at him closely. "How come your eyes aren't glazed over yet?"

"Wow!" Jack grinned so hard it hurt. He figured he should say something spiritually profound, but decided to leave that for a discussion off base. "I understood everything you said, Sam. But you do realize there's nothing normal about what we do or who we are?"

"Sure. I suppose I knew it then, but was in denial. I've got Naquadah in my DNA, possibly even some latent Ancient genes and, well you're just full of . . ."

"Crap?" He winked.

"That too." She laughed softly. Man, it was good to hear her laughter again and to know he'd instigated it.

"I missed us." She motioned between them.

"Ditto." He drew her back into his arms. Sam rested her head on his shoulder and caressed the back of his neck. Jack reveled in the simplicity of holding her, of her soothing touch.

"I also missed not having someone to talk with outside the mountain that I didn't have to keep secrets from. Someone I could talk to about-"

"Worm holes and Naquadah reactors?"

"Yeah, even if they didn't understand one word of it. Just to have someone listen to me and pretend to be interested because they knew it was of interest to me."

Jack decided to play devil's advocate. "There's always, Daniel, Teal'c, Cassandra and other SGC members."

"Yes. But they're not who I go home to at night. They aren't you. Nor was Pete. Not even close. I missed you, Jack."

That almost sent him over the edge. Not yet, Jack, not yet. Trying to steady his shaking hands, he dug into his pocket and handed her a tape, labeled 'For Sam -2001.' "I know it's four years too late, but I made this after we'd returned from our Chulak wedding. It's one of several I've made over the years, just well," he flinched, "Never had the guts to give them to you. But this one's probably well-you know I'm not the most articulate-it sounds the best."

"Can I play it?" She swiped her hand across her damp nose.

"Yeah. Guess that's why I brought it." He glanced around, anywhere but at her, wondering if it was smart to revisit their past.

Sam smiled at his bashful demeanor, slipped the tape into her CD/Tape player and hit the play button.

"Hey there, Dorothy, this is your Scarecrow from the wonderful land of Oz!"

Sam blue eyes shined. "That's so you," she teased.

He shrugged with a faint smile.

"Well, um, okay then. If you're listening to this tape apparently, some egotistical Goa'uld didn't like my award-winning dry witticism and scrambled my brains with a wrist device, torched or zatted me or I just didn't make it home to Kansas. Which means I royally screwed up and, in your own infinite farewell to me that time I turned eighty-years old in five days, 'Goodbyes suck!'

"Please no, sir?" Sam's pink mouth turned down and she reached over and switched off the tape. Jack's hand covered hers.

"Look, Sam, even with you, I'm no good at this one-on-one, so please listen, okay?"

She reluctantly nodded and hit the on button, then intertwined her hand in his.

'But, what the hay, Carter, I made it out of that one, and a lot of other tight spots, only because you wouldn't give up on me. I've lost track of all the times you saved my butt and my butt thanks you from the bottom of my well . . . Anyways. Like I said, if you're hearing this I'm pushing up daisies-your favorite flowers, by the way-just hope you got whatever manure pile there was left of me deposited on earth or at least in a solo orbit. So I won't digest . . .um, digress. That's the right word right, Babe?'

Sam giggled with a nod and met Jack's flustered questioning expression. "Yes." She smiled as he drew her closer.

"Cool."

'Anyways, I'm just saying . . .crap . . .this is so fricking hard.' He cleared his throat. 'I wished things had been different for us. Wished you were my wife more than in name only. Wished I'd screwed you a million ways from Sunday until you screamed for mercy. Wished I'd been able to give you the six um, okay, three rug rats of two girls and a boy. But four would have been better, I'm just saying . . .

'Geez, Sam, despite that we broke the regs I don't regret marrying you. You'll never know how much I needed to make that commitment to you and for you to willingly do likewise. It gave me something to look forward to for us. I only hope that because you're hearing this, you don't pull into yourself and give up on love. You're so young, Sam, I want you to find happiness with a good man, a better man than I was. Of course, I'd appreciate if you waited oh, about fifty years first. Oy, that was a joke, Hon!'

Sam hiccupped and pinched Jack's arm.

"Ow! I know, lousy joke."

"Ya think."

"Anyways, there's so much I wish we'd had and yet I don't regret what we did have. Does that make sense? I feel like we've been together far longer than these last five years. Eight counting Black Ops. And yeah, it truly was love at first sound bite, Dorothy of Kansas. Wanna arm wrestle? Geez, that had to be the lamest but hottest proposition I ever got in my life.

'Sam, we've tap-danced around saying 'I love you,' for years. Forever Okay, right? Whatever. Well let me state here and now. I, Jack O'Neill, am hopelessly, desperately in love with you!'

Sam glanced up and Jack smiled affirmation. "Always," he murmured, threading his fingers through her hair.

'Yes, well, I know I promised to always be here for you and failed to keep that promise. That's the trouble with never having a plan B. Knew it'd eventually bite me in the assets. So please don't hate me for letting you down. Sam, you are the most precious and important person God ever put into my life. You're a national treasure. And I'm still trying to figure out why He thinks I ever deserved you. Now I can ask Him face to face, yeah.'

Sam trembled and Jack held onto her. "You want me to turn it off?"

"No!" she shook her head and pressed in closer. "It's beautiful. You're beautiful."

"Wow!" He sighed against her cheek.

'Sam, considering our working relationship, I didn't say or show my love for you often as I should have. But ya know how I feel, Babe. And because of the fricking Goa'uld breathing down our necks we did what we had to do for God, country and earth. And neither of us would change that, would we?

'Although, now as I'm recording this um . . .stupid tape, I'm feeling damn miserable and yet damn proud to have known and served alongside you, Major Samantha Carter slash O'Neill. Yeah, damn proud! I just wished I could have seen you get promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and pin those wings on you myself. Maybe God will give me a room with a view. Anyway, George knows you're to get my wings.'

"Oh, Jack!" Sam clung tighter, her fingers digging into his shoulder blades. He didn't mind, nope not at all. "When you pinned me, there were tears in your eyes."

"Yeah, one of the coolest, proudest moments of my life, Sam." He kissed her cheek.

'So before I go all melancholy, and ya know I hate that gushy, mushy stuff. Or you start wondering if this is some sick trick, let me confess you were the best thing ever to happened to this emotional reticent flyboy and all things considered I wouldn't have missed the brief sweet time we've had together for a hill of beans. Wait! I meant for all the gold in China. Yeah. Sorry.

'Anyways, I really did find my way home, back to the waiting arms of the one who was waiting there for me, you, Dorothy. Mostly, I don't regret what I did for love, my sweet wife, and I hope that you never will either. Forever and for always, Scarecrow'

And they heard him strum his guitar and sing the Jonny Mathis love song. Jack pulled back and gazed into her tear shimmering eyes with his own tear-filled eyes he sang with himself, "Kiss today goodbye, The sweetness and the sorrow, Wish me luck, the same to you, But I can't regret what I did for love What I did for love.'

"Look, my eyes are dry. The gift was ours to borrow. It's as if we always knew, And I won't forget what I did for love, What I did for love'.

"Gone, Love is never gone. As we travel on, Love's what we'll remember.'

"Kiss today goodbye, And point me toward tomorrow. We did what we had to do. Won't forget, can't regret What I did for love. What I did for love. What I did for love."

"Man, oh man! You did this for me?" Sam held on tighter.

"Yeah." He brushed her tears with his fingertips. "It's always been for you, Sam. Everything."

She nodded against his sleeve. "And there's more?" She pointed to the tape.

"Yes, well, let's save those for future chuckle down the road."

"There was nothing funny about what I just heard. In fact this," She turned and removed the tape, "has got to be the most romantic thing, you've ever done." She put it in its case and hugged it to her chest.

"Go figure."

She shook her head and then opened her desk drawer and rummaged into the back of it. She brought out a crumbled piece of coffee stained newspaper and offered it to him. "I don't know if you remember? But I've kept one of the other romantic things you've done."

"Wow!" His eyes rounded up. "The missing crossword puzzle."

"You remember?"

"Oh, yeah. Daniel had said you'd kept it, but after Fifth messed with us . . ."

She sniffed as he stared at its tattered condition with a baffled expression. "I used to sleep with it under my pillow."

"Geez, Sam." He flushed. "We've wasted so much freaking time. And now Dad's-" Emotion strangled his words and he closed his eyes.

"Yeah. And I broke his heart leaving you. Dad made no bones about it either. And yet he'd said Selmak really liked Pete. I should have known then he was lying. Selmak loved you, Jack."

"Yeah, that old Tok'ra was okay for a snakehead."

She gazed up into his face. "I realize one of the other reasons I've fought us."

"Really?"

"It's said a woman falls in love with a man who is either like her father or just the opposite. You are so much like Dad it's scary. And that scared me."

"You gotta be kidding! Jacob and I aren't anything a like!" He insisted.

"Oh, give me a break." She snorted. "You're both stubborn, egotistical, believe you're right even if you're wrong, highly competitive, and always have to get in the last word."

"Well, if you put it that way, yeah I guess we are." He shrugged. "And that scared you, how?"

"Just not sure I wanted to be married to my Dad. Kinda warped when you think about it." She gave complete body shake.

"Yes, well, I am so not Dad. For one I don't have a talking snake in my head. Got all my hair," he tugged his gray locks. "I'm taller, more tactless and play with toys." He winked suggestively at her. "Especially with you."

Sam giggled. "Yes you are." She sighed out. "So I've finally accepted that one of the reasons I'm attracted to you, is because you share some of Dad's traits, good and the bad. Besides, he's always known about us, sir, and he approves. Oh, he didn't come right out and say so. Said that I shouldn't let the rules stand in my way of having everything I want. He meant you. I tried to convince him I was happy. But he saw through me. He's right, sir, and I must tell him before he dies."

"He knows, Sam."

"Huh?"

"Dad told me the same thing."

"He did?"

He waited for the Carter bomb to explode. But she didn't. Instead, she rubbed her leaky eyes and nose against his shirt, soaking through to his t-shirt. It felt good and right. He loved her so freaking much, it hurt.

"Let's just say Dad was more in my face. Called me a dumb jackass for letting you date let alone get engaged to someone-else. Vowed to haunt me if I didn't tell you that I . . ." Jack's voice cracked and he looked at his hands.

"What, sir?" She pulled back and gazed into his eyes.

"That we're forever okay. That I am in love with you, Samantha, always."

Sam's lips parted but he planted his fingertips firmly against them. "There's something else you need to know. Actually I've known for two years and intended to tell you awhile back, but I didn't realize how messed up we'd gotten, and that it wasn't all our faults. Samantha, a long time ago, when I was still married and you were a cadet . . . "

She wiggled free and took a step back. "We were abducted and drugged by Nirrti and forced to have sex. Cassandra's our daughter."

Jack's mouth opened and then slowly shut. "Yeah." He searched her face for signs of anger.

"I know. Teal'c told me everything last night." She gave a feeble smile.

"T didn't tell me he'd told you."

"He'd said he intended to tell you today, but with everything happening on Dakara, . . ." She left out a long breath.

"I'm sorry about Cassandra. I should never have kept that from you. But there never seemed to be a right time. You started dating Pete and then Janet died and," he trailed a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, Sam, I had no right."

"No, you didn't." her voice tightened. "But you'd meant to protect me from our time with Nirrti. I guess I've always known. It explains the nightmares and hearing Cassandra's wailing when Nirrti took her from me. All those years dreaming of a lost child."

"Dear God, Sam, I tried to stop her!" Jack felt the tears well behind his eyelids.

"I know." She ran trembling fingers down his arm, her touch burning him to the soul. "It just all makes sense now. From the moment we found Cassandra on Hanka I felt a maternal connection."

"Yeah." Jack struggled to keep his emotions inline. "Same here. All the while I was photographing that black hole and eclipse I couldn't get my mind off of her. And then when you took her down in the elevator I wanted to be with you both so badly, it hurt. I knew you wouldn't leave her to die alone. And yet you knew she wasn't going to blow up." He continued to brush her hair with his fingers.

"Well, not immediately." She corrected and settled her head against Jack's heart pounding chest. "But now we know why. The three of us are family. Um, did I ever tell you that when you were still on Hanka with Teal'c, and Daniel came to relieve me from sitting with her, she insisted you come and stay with her?"

"No." He glanced down at her with wondering eyes.

"When I asked Cassandra why she said because her mom from Hanka had said, the Jaffa who brought her as an infant told her mom, that a man named O'Neill was her real father."

Jack gaped. "Sam, Cassandra never told me."

"I know. See she and I have secrets too." Sam smiled. "I just hadn't realized that I was her birth mother."

"Wow!" Jack shook his head. "Anything else you wanna share, Dorothy?"

"Not now. Besides we should do this with Cassandra."

Jack agreed, but his conscious wouldn't let it go-yet. He was on an honesty roll and should confess everything, right? He bit into his cheek, drawing blood. "Sam, about Cassandra."

"She knows everything," Sam said with finality and smiled up at him.

"Yes. But I didn't tell her." He held up a hand in defense. "At least, not like you think. We sort of share an ability to-"

"Communicate telepathically?"

"Huh?"

She reached up and gently shut his unfastened jaw. "I know. I've sensed the bonding between you two for years, especially on her sixteenth birthday when she began transforming and Nirrti healed her, you and Cass became closer than ever. I even got jealous."

"Sorry." He brushed the blond bangs from her face. "Yeah, that's when I realized that although Nirrti had stopped Cassandra from dying and transforming into an Ancient, Cass hadn't lost the abilities we'd seen her display. She can still move chess horses, actually way bigger things," Jack stretched his arms, "just by concentrating. And," he coughed, "you're right, that's when we discovered we could be talking heads."

"And neither of you told Janet!"

"No. We agreed to keep it our secret. It would only have hurt Janet. And I didn't want Cassandra becoming a guinea pig for the NID, Sam, nor myself, for that matter. The point is Nirrti knew when she left that day that Cassandra had maintained those Ancient abilities. I feared she intended to abduct her again. Even weirder, she told me that Cassandra's parents were from Earth. It was her way of letting us know. I just didn't want to accept the obvious. I was afraid to. Sam, I think you and I have the same abilities."

"Wait. You're the one who can heal the dying, sir, and read minds."

"Um, so can you with the healing device. And, it's not mind reading. It's like sharing a brain, talking without words. Just projecting what I'd otherwise say to you verbally."

"So, you're saying you can't know my thoughts?"

"Well," he blushed. "According to Daniel, yeah, but there has to be a concession on both parties. Branded couples are also branded to their children. It's complicated. And it's just far more intimate with the mates and the children can't tap into a parent's head, unless the child is given permission or the kid's just really . . ."

"Gifted and spoiled rotten."

"Yeah." Jack snickered. "Cass tends to enter before knocking, but she's getting more respectful and fearful now that she's older."

"Wow!" Sam shook her head. "This is just darn right warped."

"Tell me about it. I'm still not sure how it works or what will trigger it for you and me. Actually, I think we've done it several times, but just weren't consciously aware of it."

Sam nodded. "It explains why we couldn't let each other go and get-."

'A life with someone else?' Jack waggled his brows.

'Yeah.' "Holy Hannah!" Sam pointed between them. "Like that?"

"Yep, like that." Jack grinned at down her and kissed her cheek, then turned more serious. "And well there's one more thing you need to know. Cass is at my place and she-"

"Jack?" Sam leaned heavily against him and he sat on one of her stools and drew her onto his lap. "I know she spent time with Dad. He told me before the Tok'ra came."

"Geez," Jack groaned out. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm happy they got to be together and it explains his visiting her on campus two weeks ago. But can we talk about this stuff later?" She rested her head on his shoulder and wearily sighed.

"Hey, you're right. We've got all the time in world to talk about that perverted alien talking heads relationship stuff."

"Actually," she shook her head. "What I wanted to say was-,"

"When you came over this afternoon." He grinned into her hair.

"Jack!" He heard the smile in her voice.

"See, we can talk and read each other's minds."

"That mind reading theory's needs further analysis. Anyway, I was going to share what Teal'c and Daniel knew about that night at O'Malley's and that I love you."

"You," he emphasized, "love me?" He dipped his head and smirked like a kid in a candy store.

"Yes." She held his gaze. "Only God and I know why, but I love you, Jack O'Neill with two LLs."

"I've loved you ever since Nirrti brought us together. And now I remember it was long before we made love."

"Really?" Her eyes glistened with curiosity.

"Yeah. I was about nineteen and you were about five. The point is, I think she'd abducted us even before then, but I first recall holding you and that Nirrti wanted to test our blood. Something about us being compatible for mating."

"She didn't, I mean we didn't . . ." Sam looked pleadingly into his eyes.

"Hell, no! I'm sure it wasn't until you were a cadet, coz I remember," he felt heat stain his face.

"Taking my virginity." She touched his face.

"Yeah, go figure." He caressed her cheek and she leaned into him. Her warm breath fanning his fingers and sending a deep shivering heat into his veins and lower.

"You do realize what this means, Jack?"

"Nope." He cocked his head with his oh duh look.

"All these years you were my dream lover. It explains so much, Jack. Why I wasn't a virgin with Jonas. Because you were my first lover and I've loved you since then too, silly."

"You're kidding?"

"Ya think?" She laughed softly and he thought he'd detonate from happiness.

"Well there you go. After over twenty years, two true confessions."

"We've been such idiots." She shook her head in regret.

"Yes, well, let's not dwell." He reached for the tissue box and handed her some. "I've never stopped loving you, Sam, which makes being the 'Man' more difficult than ever."

"I know." She blew so hard she sounded like a foghorn. "Um, sorry." She flinched.

"Does that mean you're still a screamer?" He chuckled and waggled his brows, and the taking her soiled tissues tossed them in the wastebasket.

"Guess you'll have to find out." She winked.

"Sweet!" He flirted until his eyes settled on her engagement ring and his mouth turned down.

Sam followed his troubled gaze and then she stuck out her hand. "Remove it."

Nodding, Jack eased the ring off her finger and watched as she opened her desk drawer and extracted the black ring case, opened it, and presented it to him. Jack slipped the engagement ring into the case and slammed the lid shut. The loud noise was day ja view-months ago when he'd closed the box in this room but under more stressful conditions. Sam took the case and removing her purse from a drawer, dropped the box inside it and shut the drawer.

Silence followed as both struggled for their next words.

"Um, well, since this is my fault, I'll tell Pete," he stated with finality.

"No. I started the affair. I'll end it. I owe him that much."

"Affairs." Jack mouthed. "We're both guilty, Sam."

"I know." She sighed. "I'm so sorry it took such extremes for us to realize we are each other's godsend."

"The point is that we're repentant before God and each other, Sam."

She nodded. "I've been praying. The Keeper of the Stars is one forgiving and patient Lord."

"He sure is." Jack sent a prayer of thanks heavenward then realized he'd not been completely truthful with her. Then again, since she'd made love with Pete, did he have a right to worsen her pain by confessing, he'd never made a home run with Kerry. He wouldn't be that cruel.

Sam fidgeted. "I know I've no right sharing this or thinking it can make things right between us, Jack, but-"

"What?" He cupped her face with his hands and smiled down at her.

"I, we, that is I remember everything now and was only intimate with Pete when we were first dating. And to be truthful, I didn't-"

His mouth slack he stared at her.

"Didn't . . .couldn't climax," she blew out. "I faked it."

Jack's jaw dropped open further. "Ya mean since I went Ancient, you two haven't gotten it on?"

"No." She gave a small smile. "I had no desire to be with him that way. I figured that would change after we got married. But the closer the date came, the more I realized I only got sexually aroused with you and not just when I ovulate. Must be the branding thing, huh?"

"For crying out loud, Carter!" He pulled back and dragged a hand through his hair. "We are one seriously messed up couple!"

"Meaning?" She stared alarmingly at him.

"That if we're coming clean here." He blushed and avoided her questioning eyes. "I couldn't get it up with Kerry for the life of me."

"Holy Hannah!" She grinned.

"Yeah." He found himself beaming. "Its amazing Kerry stayed as long as she did."

"Because she knows a safe bet when she sees one, Jack O'Neill. I was green with envy. She's a beautiful woman."

"Gosh, Sam. There's no one more beautiful than you. Besides, who am I kidding, I went after someone who is physically similar to you, except her eyes and hair."

"I noticed." She pinched him.

"Hey, when you've had the best it's hard to settle for less."

"You can say that again."

"When you've-"

"Ow!" When Sam gestured to pinch again Jack grinned and drew her back into his arms, the turned serious. "I assume Pete doesn't remember everything about . . ." He motioned between them.

"No. Just what Joe fed to him. Like us, he'd been foggy after Fifth and Replicator Sam messed with our heads. But, since it only took Teal'c telling us to bring it all back, I assume that's all it will take with Pete, and once I tell him what Fifth did he'll take our breakup better."

"Doubt that." Jack mumbled.

"He's suspected since the day of Daniel's stakeout. That much he remembers."

"Doh! That long? How? I mean . . . I never said two words to guy." Although he now definitely remembered their O'Malley head banging.

"He'd said it was the way you looked at me and glared at him. You reminded him of a dominant male lion that just discovered another male had invaded his pride. I sensed he was intimidated, but told him you were just protective of me as a team member. He never did buy it, or liked me talking about you, which I did a lot." She blushed.

"Didn't know I was that obvious or a topic of discussion."

"You were, sir."

"But . . ."

"I believed that if you had still loved me you'd have take action." She glanced down and frowned. "You didn't."

"Ah, crap! I'm sorry, Sam. I did when I went Ancient, but I know remember Daniel saying he couldn't tell me everything, feared I'd overload.

"And I feared the same."

"But I did do something at O'Malley's. We just didn't remember. I figured the guy made you happy. And all, I've ever wanted was for you to be happy, Sam. Always. If it helps, I got wasted nearly every weekend for a while, there. And the only music I listened to was Roy Orbison, I really connected with the songs, 'Crying and Only the Lonely.' "

"Roy Orbison?" Sam shut her eyes and expelled a breath.

"Ya do know who he is?" His brows collided.

"You dare ask this Rock and Roll oldies, addict! Roy's like the king of lost love and heartache."

"Yeah. Roy and me got pretty chummy. Just ask Daniel."

Sam gave him a hopeless look.

"I mean, well, when he comes back from cloud surfing, but hey, Teal'c knows."

"I know." She worried the collar of his shirt, her fingers skimming across his neck.

"You do."

"Teal'c kept telling me in his subtle ways that you still cared more than you should. He even told me how you reacted when I was lost on the Prometheus."

"Big mouth Jaffa! Geez, if I'd have told you then, you wouldn't have-"

"But you did. I just wasn't listening."

"Huh?" He gave his deer caught in the headlights look.

"Shush, it's over, sir."

"Ah, not exactly. There's someone else we need to discuss or I'm going o be forced into visiting Mackenzie's couch again."

She glanced up warily.

"Grace."

"Holy Hannah!" Sam did her Turtledove chin tuck.

"You saw her?"

"Saw her, heard her, talked to her."

"Thank you! Thank you!" Jack shook his clasped hands heavenward then embraced Sam and patted her back in gratitude.

"Hey, ease up!" Sam flinched.

"Um, sorry." He stopped patting her. "Just Grace may be cute as the dickens, but the girl's a royal pain in the assets!"

"Just like her dad." Sam patronized.

"Hey, now just one moment, there's just as much of you in Gracie O'Neill as there is of me!"

"Gracie?" Sam's eyes rounded up.

"Um, well, yeah." He dropped his hands and scuffed one boot over the other. "Just kind of came about from talking to her."

Sam laughed really hard. "And I thought I was going nuts on that ship! I mean she kept popping up, singing one moment and then lipping off like you the next. Man, oh, man," Sam grew somber. "She was trying to tell me," she broke into a sob. "Daniel, Teal'c, Dad-I misunderstood all them, especially you, Jack."

"You saying I showed up in your comatose induced wacko hallucination?"

"Yeah." She glanced away and swiped at a maverick tear. "I thought you were giving me my walking papers, but instead you were telling me that you're my one safe bet."

"I am, Sam, always have been. What else did I say?" He winked suggestively. "Or do?"

"Well you told me to go save my ass and then well, in my head, I kissed you stupid and you kissed me back, dueling tongues and all."

"Wow! How come I'm never around when you're having those hot dreams?"

"For the same reason I don't remember being kissed in the time loop." She winked.

"Good point." He winced.

Sam sniffed and leaned her head against his chest. "Can we leave the hallucination discussion for another time? Coz, I'm really tired."

"Sure." He weaved his fingers through her hair gently massaging her scalp. "But that reminds me." He stepped back. "One more confession and I swear I'm done!"

"Jack?" She tipped her head sideways and gave her helpless look. "I really don't think I can handle much more . . ."

"Hey, you called me, Jack." He grinned to distract her as he worked up the nerve to confess. "Besides I'm hoping you take this as good news."

She pulled back, crossed her arms and glared.

"Okay, um, ya know the Chulak annulment waver we signed?"

"Yes. Wished I hadn't."

"You do?"

"And you?"

"One of the dumbest things I ever did." He couldn't stop smiling.

"So why are you smirking like the cat that ate the canary?"

"Coz." He lifted her face and gazed into her cautious expression. "Teal'c lost it."

"He what!"

"Yep, said it was an accident. He'd been carrying it with him for months. He had no way of returning it to the Jaffa Nuptials Council, since most of them were missing or dead and-"

"Then we're still legally married?"

"Yes, ma'am." He felt his heart stop when she shut her blue eyes and drew her upper lip between her teeth and then started to cry-again.

"Sam?" He tentatively drew her into his arms. "Those better be tears of joy, coz if not, I'm dying here."

Sam sniffed against his neck. "No, I'm hap-py, really!"

"So?"

"So we start over." She rubbed the back of his right hand with her thumb and leaned into him.

"Yeah sure yabetcha and this time there won't be any sirs or Carters between us." He nuzzled her neck, kissing her the only way he could for now. Sam sighed and trembled at his intimate touch.

"How?" she asked, as she finger-combed his short gray hair and pressed in closer.

"Called some markers in."

He felt her smile against his shoulder when he grinned into her hair. Jack knew that for once, Samantha Carter wouldn't dispute whatever he decided to do for them to be together.

"Um, sir?"

"And no, that's not my sidearm?" He chuckled, making closer contact.

"Hope not." She laughed softly.

"So, I got this awesome emerald green rod and reel for my birthday."

"Ah." He shrugged.

"Aren't you going to ask me something?" She nudged him.

"Gosh, Carter. I'm clueless." He took a step back and stretched out his arms. "Could it have something to do with the land of sky-blue waters, loofas, yeah sure yabetcha, snookums, mosquitoes, etc, etc?"

Nodding, Sam grinned wide.

"Yeah, I'd ask ya to go fishing, but you keep turning me down and- " Feigning confusion Jack scratched his head.

"You won the bet."

"I did?" He taunted waggling his brows. "What?"

"The crossword puzzle, silly."

"Ah, yes, the inevitable must go fishing clause. So?"

"I wanna go fishing."

"Well, it's about fricking time!"

"Jack!" She yanked him against her.

"Cool." Content to be in each other's embrace, they held on until Jack turned gently her in his arms and started rubbing between her tensed shoulders.

"Umm." Sam melted against him. "I really missed this, ya know."

"What, my virile animal magnetism, not to mention my sharp calculating wit?" He nibbled her collarbone as he worked the tight cords of her neck.

"Um, those too. But I really missed your backrubs." She leaned into his magic fingers.

"Yeah, figures, you're just using me."

"Yep." She smiled through her words.

"Hey, I know this sounds weird but with all this pent up sexual tension between us, how come we aren't naked on your lab table having wild monkey sex?"

She stiffened beneath his touch. "Excellent matter of debate. And, no doubt, Daniel would know. Maybe because we've not re-branded or our emotional condition has superseded the complexity of our inborn chemical composition and we-"

"Carter! Stop thinking so much!" He turned her in his arms and eased his forehead against hers. "Just say it again, wilya?"

"Our emotional conditioning . . . "

"Nah ah!" he groaned. "I meant, 'I love you, Jack O'Neill with two LL's.'"

"Oh that. I love you, Jack O'Neill." She smiled against his rough cheek and then reality intruded with the shrill from the lab's phone. Sam reluctantly eased from his embrace and after clearing her voice answered the phone. "Carter."

Worried and tapping his fingers against the lab counter Jack watched her tear-stained features further pale.

"Okay. I'm coming!" She hung up and gestured to the door. "Um, Dad's worse. I need to get to the Infirmary."

Jack nodded, grabbed his BDU shirt, opened the door and switched off the lights. As Sam walked past to enter the corridor, he gently caught her wrist. She turned into him with a quivering smile.

"Hey, it'll be okay." He caressed her face with the back of his hand, wanting to kiss her, knowing it'd be awhile before that could happen.

"I know, Jack," she said for his ears alone.

"Sam?" He gazed passionately into her liquid eyes. "I will always be there for you, no matter what. Believe me."

"I do." She smiled as he eased his arm around her shoulders and escorted her to the Infirmary to say goodbye to his friend Jacob Carter but most of all, their Dad.

~*~ Go to PART 4 - Forever And For Always!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 5 - Tangent Hearts by HailDorothy
Tangent Hearts - Part 5 - Chosen Heart Series

Tangent Hearts - Part 5 - Chosen Heart Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: In a galaxy far, far away—Jack and Teal´c are marooned, suffocating and freezing to death aboard the X-301 Intercept, a modified Goa'uld death glider. But do not fear for Dorothy is here, and life as SG-1 knows it, is about to change with one simple word. "Yes!”
Category: Filk/Song, Humor, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 206 Thors Chariot, 209 Secrets, 405 Divide and Conquer, 406 Window of Opportunity, 410 Beneath the Surface, 412 Tangent
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language, sexual situations, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-30

Title: Tangent Hearts - novella /Chosen Hearts Series - S4 Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Category: Romance/Humor/Friendship/Angst Warnings: HOMER/JACK THUD WARNING! Pairing: Jack/Sam Others: Jacob, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond, Fraiser, Silar, etc. Season: S4 Spoilers: 412 Tangent 410 Beneath The Surface 405 Divide and Conquer 406 Window of Opportunity, 209 Secrets, 206 Thor's Chariot. Rating: 13+ File size: 417 KB Summary: In a galaxy far, far away-Jack and Tealc are marooned, suffocating and freezing to death aboard the X-301 Intercept, a modified Goa'uld death glider. But do not fear for Dorothy is here, and life as SG-1 knows it, is about to change with one simple word. "Yes!"

Summary of the 'Chosen Hearts Series': This is an established storyline in which Jack and Sam fell in love during Jack's first retirement. When Jack is re-commissioned and Sam inadvertently assigned his subordinate, they pretend to be strangers and put their wannabe lovers relationship on hold. Little do they realize it will not be a matter of months, but years, before they can follow through on the desire of their 'Chosen Hearts.'

Author's Note: With a few obvious exceptions, I remain true to canon.

Song: Here We Are: Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine.1989 (c) The Keeper of the Stars: Tracy Byrd 1994 (c)

Dedicated to Bethany who has artistic gifts and patience beyond measure, and whose meticulously designed, Jack and Sam wall accurately portray these lovers' fics.

Appreciations: To Carol Sue my beta and girlfriend, who keeps me humble in your own perverted way. To Dinkydow (Donna) whose knowledge of SG-1 facts has made me a better storyteller. To Almighty God, You gave me the gift of the bards. I'm forever grateful!

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series may include script excerpts from the TV Series 'Stargate SG-1.' This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy 2004 (c).

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please??? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

Fic archived at jackfic.com: Oh yeah!

~*~

PROLOGUE You Gotta Be Kidding!

'Webster's definition of: Tangent - In immediate physical contact; touching.'

~*~

"You gotta be kidding, Oma!" Daniel soared among the stars, still amazed at the flawless beauty of the heavens.

"Why?"

"Because, well . . .It was such a botched-up stab at matchmaking."

"Whose stab?"

Ignoring Oma's insistent tone, Daniel hovered over the death glider that held his two best buddies. Alighting cross-legged on the canopy over Jack's cockpit, Daniel scowled at the unconscious man inside.

"Daniel Jackson, I asked you a question?" Oma settled over Teal'c who was in deep Kelnorim.

"Ours." He gestured at Teal'c. "We meant well, really we did. We just screwed up royally. Why they almost died, even worse almost became Goa'uld."

"The key word is, 'almost'. Again you take responsibility for the choices Jack O'Neill and Samantha Carter made freely."

"Well, they maybe agreed they were in love, but Teal'c and I forced their hand when we should have just let nature take its course."

"Daniel," Oma chided, "Even if you and Teal'c hadn't interfered they would have eventually followed through on the desire of their tangent hearts."

"Ya think?"

"Yeah." ~*~

CHAPTER ONE 'Lost In Space'

'Here we are Face to face We forget, time and place Yep, Babe, we're so lost in freaking space . . .'

~*~

Tripping through Oz, Jack's head lulled back and forth in the cockpit. First Dorothy was kissing him, now she was swearing at him . . .again.

"Dammit, Colonel! We haven't come all this way to take you home in a box, now wake up!"

'Name's O'Neill, Jack O'Neill with two LL's, Dorothy!'

"Let me give them a nudge," the wizard's voice boomed into his fantasy.

Dorothy slugged Jack. Dang that Kansas girl has spunk.

"Huh?" Jack lifted his heavy aching head.

"Colonel O'Neill?" Dorothy called out.

Call me Scarecrow, Jack, . . .hey just call me.

His head ready to detonate, Jack blinked several times, squinting from the cockpit. Wow! Another ship. Big ship. Way bigger than his. Must be the Wiz's or that wicked Goa'uld of the West.

"Carter?"

"Yes, Sir!" She was smiling away.

"Hiii!" He tried to focus on her beautiful smile, but it kept swimming or maybe he was. Yeah.

"Hi, Sir. We're gonna find a way to get you back home safe and warm. What's your reserve oxygen status?"

"Uh-I don't-what?"

"What's your reserve oxygen status?" Dorothy spoke slower.

"Car-ter, is that you?" Blinking, he stared at her, then the really big ship.

"Sir, we're over here ready to bring you home. You're gonna have to trust me."

"Home? Doesn't look like Kansas, Dorothy." Still confused, Jack glanced around. Nope, definitely not home. Lost in Space! A television series . . .yeah.

"He's suffering from anoxia, oxygen deprivation," Jack heard Dorothy tell the munchkin with glasses and then, "Do you trust me, Sir?"

Sluggish, Jack snapped his head back around and he gazed at her. "Sure!" He grinned. Trust you with my heart, my life . . .Oy! Tell her. Yeah. Um, what?

"Good! Is Tealc conscious?"

"Tealc?" Jack's dry voice crackled. No response. Jack flipped his pen at the Jaffa's flight helmet. "Tealc?" he yelled hoarsely.

"O'Neill?" The Jaffa awoke from meditation.

"Look, it's Carter! She wants to talk to you."

"Major Carter! Little oxygen remains," insisted Tealc.

"Cabin pressure?"

"Also very low."

"We copy that. So we want you to do exactly as we say. First, remove your restraints. Then on my mark, blow the canopy of the glider then push off."

"We will die!" Tealc broadcasted.

Ya think?

"Negative! It'll be all right if it's only for a few seconds."

As time flies seconds, minutes, hours are all relative. Hey, I think like Carter!

"Tealc," the all-knowing Oz boomed from behind his curtain, "The only way we can bring you aboard is with the ring transporter. That means you have to be clear of the glider. Got it?"

"I understand."

Ask Dorothy-Carter. . . Yeah.

"Good," the wizard explained, "I need you at least 5 meters from the scout ship, close together. Stand by until I get into position."

"Caar-teer?" Odd, how his tongue wouldn't move with his thoughts and Dorothy looked fuzzy but cute.

"Sir?"

"It's you, right?" Jack stared out his cockpit at her beautiful face, wondering what happened to her brown braids, that cute blue checkered number and Toto.

"Yes, Sir. We haven't much time!"

"Hey, Dorothy, your scarecrow's crazy for his girl." He felt a dopey smile twist his pained facial muscles.

"Sir! We have to- "

"Get hitched! Love you, Samantha Jean Carter!" He smirked and wiggled his brows beneath his helmet. "Marry me?"

"Yes!! Um, wow! He's delusional, Dad."

"Jacob, is that you?"

"Yes, it is, Jack. Now do what we tell you."

"Did you know your ship's bigger than ours? Hey, Carter, going to marry me or what?"

"Colonel, we need you to concentrate," Sam persevered.

"Blow the canopy," he replied.

Dorothy said, Yes!

Sam nodded. "On my mark, not before."

"Right!" Sam's steady voice kept him focused.

"Make sure your helmets are secure, and set your oxygen at 100%. You'll need to pre-breathe the last breaths in deep breaths, holding each one in. You'll need to power the system before you blow the canopy. Then disconnect the umbilical, and exhale as much as possible. Stand by!"

Pre-breathe, hold, power the system, blow canopy, umbilical, and exhale. Yeah, I can do that.

"We're in position. Stand by in the hold," the wizard ordered his four-eyed munchkin.

"Colonel, Teal'c? Are you ready?" Sam called out.

"Ready!" Is the Pope Catholic?

Sam counted down, "Three-two-one-mark!"

The canopy opened and Jack and Teal'c floated up toward the larger ship's belly. The cargo door opened and the transporter rings snatched them up, depositing them in the cargo bay. The moment the ring retracted Jack and Teal'c toppled over.

"They're all right!" Jack heard Daniel yell out.

In the recesses of his hazy mind, Sam reported, "Flight, this is Digger Two. We have Colonel O'Neill & Teal'c aboard! They're both alive!!"

Daniel released Jack's O2 mask. Flat on his back, he sucked air and held his pounding head. He wanted to puke. When he opened his smarting eyes he saw a multitude of Daniel, Jacob and Tealc's.

"And you were there and you were there and . . ." He waved a limp hand at each of them.

Removing his helmet and getting to his feet, Teal'c smiled at Jack. Thanks to Junior, the Jaffa had a speedy recovery.

Jack watched Sam's blurred likeness enter the cargo bay. "Welcome aboard!" She hurried toward him, but Jacob knelt in front of him. The Tauri/Tokra gave him a relieved smile.

"Jacob . . ." Jack smiled, his voice slow and hoarse, "Thanks for stopping by."

"What the hell-I was in the neighborhood! Ya need a lift home?"

"Yes, Sir. Thank you."

Jacob tugged Jack to his feet. Wobbly but upright, he got his ship legs and exchanged hugs with the three men and then focused his aching eyes on Sam. The instant he held her glistening blue gaze and saw her quivering chin, he went to her. Aware of Jacob's scrutiny, Jack's CO hug allowed him to nuzzle the sweet curve of Sam's neck and whisper, "I love you."

"Ditto," she replied softly, pressed tight and then stepped back crinkling her nose. "Sir, you reek," and then she left for the helm to finish her report to the SGC.

"Nuts!" Jack watched her exit. "I stink?" He sniffed the rancid air. "Oy! Sorry, folks." Realizing that after the initial, 'Yah! They're alive,' hugs, Jacob and Daniel had retreated a good distance.

"A skunk smells better than you guys." Daniel made a face and pinched his nostrils.

"Dad?" Jack glanced over and winced.

Nodding, Jacob cringed. "Yeah, you smell like outhouses."

"Indeed." Teal'c lifted his sleeve, inhaled and his brows shot into his non-existent hairline.

In self-defense, it had been sixteen hours plus. They so needed to be hosed down. It's amazing what happens when someone is scared shitless coz they're about to die. Even cocky Colonel Jack O'Neill can and will loss control of his bodily functions. Yep, Jack not only wet his BDU flight suit, he'd royally soiled it. So had Teal'c. Even Junior couldn't hold it that long. The distinct aroma the two men had shared all those hours was disgustingly memorable. Of course, when one is doing a test run in an experimental aircraft, it's important that the flight suits plumbing attachments are operating. Another bit in the butt from Apophis.

After apologizing, he and Teal'c showered separately and then zatted the BDU's. Being the third male teammate it was Daniel's responsibility to supply clean BDU's and skivvies for his buddies. Five minutes later, Jack stood drip-drying in Jacob's compartment. Bad enough the Tokras idea of a bath towel was a table napkin. Extra absorbent. Whatever!

"Jack?"

"About time, Daniel!" He hit the security console, the door slid partially open and he stuck out his hands for his replacement BDU's.

Daniel dropped a bundle in his hands. The texture was wrong.

'What the-" Jack glanced at the familiar but unwanted clothes.

"Sorry, Jack. I brought Teal'c's. Swore I had yours but in all the excitement, forgot to pack them." Daniel's voice held a tremor. No doubt he was waiting for Jack to detonate. "Jacob said to keep them."

"Um. Yeah. Sure." Like we've been in this situation before, right? Okay, so it's been awhile. The point is, when the roles are reversed one of my team members always come through with clean duds. I couldn't believe Daniel had forgotten mine. From now on I'll assign clothes duty to Teal'c, even Carter. She'd never forget. Heck, she'd brought my P-90, zat, sunglasses, survival gear, even my yoyo.

Muttering, he unfolded the outfit and held it up. As usual, the tunic was oversized and the sleeves could be unrolled. On the downside, Jacob was five foot ten. Jack was six foot two. Do the math. Geez! Chill old man. This has been a bad day for everyone.

"Tell Jacob thanks."

"Will do." Daniel started to walk away.

"T-shirts, socks, skivvies?" Jack grumbled.

"Oh, yeah, wait, got extras in my pack."

A moment later, Daniel handed over two pair of regulation socks and three pair of white cotton briefs. The geek so lacked imagination.

'T-shirts, Daniel."

Oh, um, forgot mine too. Sorry."

'Deep breathe, O'Neill.' Jack glanced at the skivvies and cringed. A former briefs man, and now boxer fan, Jack withheld comment. At least they were the right size.

"Thanks again, Daniel."

"You're welcome, Jack."

Twenty minutes later, he exited his quarters, carefully. He'd done everything possible, including letting out the leg hems that now reached his ankles. Thank heavens for flight boots! He felt like Captain James T. Kurt. The waist issue remained another matter. Despite his lean waistline they were tight. So now the breeches were extended but riding up his butt. Talk about major wedgies!

He glanced around. Not like there was anywhere to go besides the helm or engine room. The ship was efficiently built. Behind the aft entrance to the engine/cargo bay area/hold were two sleeping compartments with double berths and one head/shower unit. The other conveniences were the six by eight area stocked with food and medical supplies and Jacob's built in freezer unit in the docking bay. When Jack had glanced in the upright freezer he found it empty, even of shelves. Jacob explained the freezer was intended for Trojan horse situations and could be locked or opened from within. Jack hoped they never had to use it. He'd had enough freezer burn, thanks.

Jack had just donned his shades when Sam barreled out of the engine room, her face lit up like a red traffic light. The passageway barely wide enough for two people to maneuver, Jack caught her shoulders, turning as one to get pass her. He should have let go, but their contact was emotionally and sexually charged. Jack reacted instinctively. He held on. He wanted much more, but settled.

"Carter?" He lifted his shades and squinted at her, keeping one hand on her tensed left shoulder that he discreetly kneaded.

"Sir." She avoided eye contact. Jack felt a tremor she failed to control.

"Um, we okay?" he asked softly, his implication clear.

"Yes." She relaxed beneath his massaging fingers. But her fisted hands were doing their 'flay the hips' routine. An outward sign Sam was upset, nervous or pissed off. Take your pick, O'Neill. He chose all three.

"Then what's wrong?" He dipped his head to gaze into her dark fused eyes. Yep, she was pissed, hopefully, not with him. Sam looked passed him. He didn't need a public service announcement to know Dad was part of the viewing audience.

Jack lowered his arm searching for that elusive pocket he knew he had.

"Going to call Hammond," he announced for the eavesdroppers and jerked a thumb toward the helm, hoping she'd come along. He needed to see, hear, and if possible, touch her again.

"You do that, Colonel, Sir." Sam snagged her lower lip and without another word, entered her quarters.

Colonel? Sir? Sam's overkill of his CO rank, always a bad sign. Watching her door shut, he winced. Yeah. Right. Well, that was hum-worthy, O'Neill. Scratching his head, he turned and encountered the other Carter striding purposely toward him.

"Jacob." He smiled as they blocked the tight corridor.

"Jack." The older man's face was slightly fairer than Sam's crimson shade. Choking on the fear factor he'd long ago acquired for Jacob, Jack gave the man latitude and followed him to the helm.

After a short but uplifting chat with Hammond, Jack made small talk with Daniel and Teal'c. Jacob added little if anything to their banter. The direct chill from the former Air Force general targeted at Jack. When Teal'c and Daniel managed to escape the tension, Jack retreated to his quarters, correction Jacob's. The idea of bunking with Dad for days had lost its appeal. From here on, Jack would crash in the cargo bay with Daniel and Teal'c. But for the moment, his aching back wasn't giving up the comfortable berth or solitude. He'd no sooner settled in, when he had company. Daniel and Teal'c.

Daniel eagerly filled Jack in play-by-play on his sappy marriage proposal to Sam, while Teal'c corrected any minute details. Jack took it like the man he was. Embarrassed to death and wanting to get wasted. So that explained why Jacob was an iceberg and Sam avoided him like he still reeked. True, Sam was exhausted. She's been awake all this time trying to save their runaway butts. But that didn't explain ignoring him.

You'd swear he'd committed some deadly sin when he'd blurted out his heart under the influence of carbon monoxide poisoning. Of course, considering he was Sam's CO, it probably did qualify as a deadly sin. Quite similar to the Zatarc test, just more, out there, in your face, hey marry me Babe, blather. Gosh, he hoped he'd not called Sam Babe in front of Jacob! No wonder the elder Carter was miffed. Jack closed his bloodshot eyes and surrendered to the blasted lyrics swelling in his aching head.

'Here we are Face to face We forget, time and place . . .'

Yep, here we are, stuck on a Tokra scout vessel with mad Dad at the helm, glad Daniel curled up like a babe in the transport room, and cold Tealc in Kelnorim in the Tokra's bar and grill that never closed. Jack could only stomach so much Oatmeal, even if that's not what Jacob called it.

Oh yeah, Sam and me.

Me and Sam . . .

Nada.

Nothing.

Zilch.

Whatever!

Both were at a stand off. And to top it off, that lame song kept tripping through Jack's aching skull, ironically, not their song, but one that gave new meaning to their wannabe lovers' relationship. Jack always had a thing for Gloria Estefan. The last song they heard yesterday while he drove Carter to the mountain when her car was in the shop was on instant replay in his head. Jack could still feel Sam's hand slipping into his and fastening tight as the lyrics hit home for them.

'Hold me now Don't let go Though it hurts and we both know The time we spent together gonna fly And everything you do to me Is gonna feel so right Baby when you're loving me I feel like I could cry 'Cause there's nothing I can do To keep from loving you

Here we are All alone Trembling hearts, beating strong Reaching out, a breathless kiss I never thought could feel like this I want to stop the time from passing by Wanna close my eyes and feel your lips are touching mine Baby, when you're close to me I want you more each time And there's nothing I can do to keep from loving you'

Jack couldn't speak for Sam, but they'd come to a place of common acceptance this year and reluctant distancing. Concerned for Sam's career, they'd gone cold turkey, leaving it in the room as Carter had put it. Yeah, right! They'd tried, really they had. They stopped meeting in their SGC base room, Sundays at the park, not to mention that Jack's nightly visits during which they fell asleep in each other's arms, usually in Carter's bed, came to an abrupt end. Well, that was Sam's decision, not his. That last one was way too rough, even for his tough little major. They'd become so reliant on sleeping with each other-mind out of the gutter-they suffered insomnia. When Hammond caught her nodding off during a briefing, Sam insisted her neighbor's dog kept her awake. Jack snorted. Her neighbor had a cat!

That arrangement lasted four wretched nights before they'd decided to wean off gradually. Another no-win situation. Then being stuck on that ice planet with mind stamps made them realize their feelings weren't going away, nor did they want them to.

Another year older.

Another year of stolen glances, hugs, caresses, and too few kisses.

Another year of, "Yes, Sir. No, Sir. Screw you, Sir." 'I wish!'

Another year of, "Carter! Hey, Major. Hail Dorothy, and of course, Geez, I'm sorry, Sam!"

Another year of no significant other off base, but each other.

Another year of cold showers in the middle of the day . . . Just coz.

Another year of pretending they were only coworkers and friends.

Another year of loving each other in secret, until today when he and Tealc took that one-way, scenic route on a Goa'uld death glider, almost became frozen assets, and died. Yeah, got pretty hairy out there. Jack made peace with God, again. He then visited all the dumb, dumb and dumber things he'd done the last few years to piss Sam off, and realized, that if she still loved him, that in and of itself was a full-blown miracle. Jack knew that not matter what their future held, no matter what might try to keep them apart, 'There's nothing . . .

I can do I'm helpless in your arms Oh baby what you do I'm in love, this is it There's no turning back this time No no no'

There were other educational moments onboard Digger One. Tealc admitted he'd known long before the Zatarc test about Jack and Sam's affair of the heart. Oh, it got better, the Jaffa insisted discussing the matter. Like Jack had a means of escape other than hopping off on Jupiter, which by the way, lasted exactly 30 seconds. He'd no idea the Jaffa could yap so much or that he was such a romantic.

Before they realized their oxygen was limited, Jack admitted he was in love with Sam. Well, not straight out, but Tealc knew what he meant about caring more than he should for Carter. Tealc suggested he and Sam secretly marry, even offered to officiate. Open to thinking about anything other than his inevitable death, Jack fancied the wacko idea had potential. Clearly, the lack of oxygen had gone to his head. While dozing, he thought it through to the minute detail until his headache got so bad he passed out. His last coherent though was once he had the chance, propose to Sam. Trouble was by the time he'd boarded Jacob's ship, he'd forgotten the entire stupid marriage pitch. Then again, there were a few other things to be thankful about. Jacob hadn't tossed him overboard and Sam hadn't strangled him, yet. 'So here we are . . .

Once again But this time we're only friends Funny world Sometimes lies Become the game, when love's the prize And though no one knows what's going on inside And all the love I feel for you Is something I should hide'

Sure, holed up in a ship's quarter the last two hours, was one way to hide. Jack felt miserable, and of course, kept thinking. Yeah, no one at the SGC knew what was going on inside. No doubt, there was speculation. But he and Sam had their act down to such a science that more often than not, he felt they were no more than coworkers and friends. 'And yet . . .

When I have you close to me The feeling's so sublime That there's nothing I can do to keep from loving you to keep from loving you, baby No, no, no, To keep from loving you, baby.'

Nothing could keep Jack from loving Sam. Even now when his head throbbed, his eyes burned and were still sensitive to light; a temporary effect from oxygen depravation. Fortunately Sam had brought him aspirin. Unfortunately, the aspirin hadn't knocked it out, nor had the Tokra medicine Jacob had given him. ~*~

CHAPTER TWO: 'Meet the in-laws - figuratively speaking. Oy!'

~*~

What happened to his Black Ops training? Jack used to fall asleep on a bed of sharp rocks, now he couldn't sleep without Sam. And that so wasn't about to happen with Dad on board. This was going to be one long, desolate flight home. He prayed he'd get so flipping fatigued he'd eventually pass out and hoped it happened soon.

Jack smelled coffee and groaned. Their coffee aficionado Daniel was at it again. Hundreds of light years from home and he had to have his caffeine fix. Jack admitted he too enjoyed his daily coffee intake. Difference was he could live without it. Daniel had to be buzzing twenty-four seven, either on coffee or candy bars. The kid so needed to get clean and go cold turkey. Just Jack had yet to determine how or when to make that happen.

Switching on the nightlight, Jack donned his shades. Before he tried to sleep, he had to settle this standoff. However, the first person on his list was not Sam, but Jacob Carter. Jack swallowed his apprehension and shoved to his feet. He wanted to ask the man for his daughter's hand in marriage, but that was not going to happen for a long time. Besides, Sam would kill him. But he could smooth over the rough seas and-

"Jack." Retired General Jacob Carter stood in the open hatchway, clearly not a happy camper.

"Jacob." Jack gestured invitation into his shadowed quarters, as if that was necessary with it being Jacob's ship.

"Eyes still smarting?" Jacob frowned with concern at Jack's shades.

"Improving. Now I only see three point two of you." He presented his best O'Neill smirk, and then removed the glasses out of respect. He squinted at the older man and motioned to stand.

"Don't get up." Jacob invaded the tight quarters. "I know you're tired, but we should talk."

"Look, I'm sorry that Daniel and Sam blew your cover back at those Naquada mines-"

"It's not about that." Jacob pressed the hatch button, sealing them in sealing Jack's fate.

Crap! "Oh. A heart-to-heart talk, Dad?" Jack winced.

"Yes."

"I'd offer a chair, if there was a chair, so have a-whatever that is." Jack flapped his hand at the kidney shaped seat across from the lower berth.

"It's a toilet, Jack."

"Wow! Who'da thunk? New and improved, so came with the cloaking device, eh? Doesn't look like a crapper-"

"Jack, it's a combination toilet and bidet."

"Sorry." Jack felt the stress line between his brows extend, as did the tension between him and Jacob.

"I'll stand."

'Nuts.' Jack hated being low man on the totem pole when he was getting reamed out. They were not on equal footing. But that was Jacob's intention. Jack rubbed his forehead. Oh yeah, the headache was worse, his eyes hurt, his knees ached and-

"Jack, while in the death glider you suffered from anoxia, oxygen deprivation."

"Yep, nasty bugger. Makes you babble all kinds of wacko junk. Um, I didn't talk like Bart Simpson, did I?" He clasped his busy hands and looked as naive as possible.

"Yes it does and no you didn't."

"Well that's a load off the gray matter." Jack feared he might soil the Tokra duds.

"It also makes a person less guarded about their feelings." Jacob paced the tight quarters, which amounted to three steps across and three back before he lorded over Jack again.

"Oh," he mouthed softly and looked up at the man's stern countenance and lethal glint. Incoming enemy fire!

"I'm no fool about what's going down between you and my Sammy."

"Um, yeah, about that. Let me explain-"

"No, you listen-up, Colonel Jack O'Neill!"

"Fine. I can do that." Death by death glider sounds appealing.

"Don't even get me started on the court martial charges that you two fraternizing can bring about."

"No Sir." Jack made a face and glanced at his watch wishing Sam hadn't dismantled Pac Man. He wondered where he'd put his yoyo.

"So, besides that fact you are Sam's CO and this thing you've got for my daughter is against United States Military protocol-"

"I believe we established that, Sir." Jack waved his pointers.

"Cut the bull, Jack. I'm no longer your superior."

"Well, technically, on earth you are, Sir. While out here, I'm the boss, right?" Jack never had figured that one out. No matter where they were, he and Jacob were always competing for command and Sam.

A strange expression crossed the other man's features. Whoops! Jack knew that blank look. Jacob was channeling Selmak.

Jacob Carter's face and balding head turned crimson. "I can handle this, Selmak. So bug out!"

Jack groaned. Great! Now Selmak was in on the Jack whumping. He felt like a teenager being grilled by his first date's dad. Nah. That had been easier.

"Do you know you proposed to my daughter?"

"Yeah, heard 'bout that." His face scrunched. "I'm truly sorry. Won't happen again." Jack failed to meet the man's dark infused eyes.

"Damn straight it won't, because my daughter accepted."

"She did?" Jack gaped and then grinned with manly pride.

"Wipe that asinine smirk off your face, Jack. You two can't get married!"

"Of course not." He winced and waited for the other shoe to fall. The silence between them was deafening. Two freaking clichs in a row! He glanced back at Jacob, waiting.

"Jack, I'm telling you exactly what I told Sam. You two need to make some serious choices and live with the consequences. Long as you're her CO, you are endangering her military career. Furthermore, if you really loved my daughter you'd put her first, including her career!"

That pissed Jack off. He stood up and glared down at the shorter man, who intimidated the crap out of him. "For crying out loud, Jacob! There's no one, and I emphasis no one, more important to me than your daughter. I'd die for her. I have! Secondly, I don't give a rat's butt hole about my career or reputation. As for Sam's I've done everything possible to ensure our personal feelings are not publicly made known, nor her career threatened."

"That might be, but I'd have thought you'd realized that when you first met at the ball."

"Ball?" Jack blanched. He couldn't mean, didn't mean?

"The nineteen-ninety-seven White House Halloween Ball. You were the Zorro she spent the evening with and before that, you two were in Black Ops. I figured out you were already involved when you got reassigned the Stargate program and Sam was appointed to your team."

Jack slumped back onto his berth. "Geez, Jacob." His hands directed his explanation. "So that's why you've been such a hemorrhoid since we first met!"

"What'd you expect?"

"I was retired then!"

"And people don't fall in love on the first date!"

"Oh, so now you're the expert on love! Hah! According to Sam, you-," Oy! He couldn't believe he almost said that.

Jacob Carter balked.

"Sorry, Jacob. That's not the issue here."

"No, it's not! So let's hit this head on. Are you and Sam-?"

"No! We're not sleeping together." Well, not the way you think.

"Then consider yourself lucky. Because if I even suspected you were screwing my daughter, you'd be on the outside of this ship looking in!" Jacob shook a balled fist in Jack's face.

"Hey, hey, give me some credit here, will ya?"

"Credit? As her commanding officer you should have stopped caring for her that way, the day she came under your command!"

"And you don't think I . . .we've tried! I can't control my heart, Jacob," he shot back, "anymore than Sam can control hers. Like it or not, we're in love with each other and that's so not going to change!"

"And that became apparent when you both failed the Zatarc test!" Jacob was in his face.

"How'd you-"

"Freya/Anise told me."

"Why that two-faced ass-pinching slut! The results of those tests are classified! And you wonder why I do not now and never will trust the slimy, snaky Tokra!"

Jacob's head lowered and lifted. After his eyes flashed, he smiled warmly at Jack.

"Ah, nuts! Hi, Selmak. Um, that last remark so doesn't apply to you-at all, really." He pointed at he, she and it. Whatever!

"I know that, Jack. It is good to see you again."

"If you say so," Jack sniffed a breath, sighed, scrubbing a hand over his face. "I'm in boiling water with your host."

"Yes, you are. That is why I intervened. However, I don't know how long before Jacob comes back. Nor can I assure he will be any calmer, especially after I say what must be said."

"Not another lecture, Selmy. Coz, I'm plum out of explanations or heartfelt Irish apologies."

"Not at all. I've come to render assistance and be of some comfort, Jack O'Neill."

"Well there you go. Render away." Jack made a sweeping gesture, then propped an elbow on one knee, and rested his chin in the palm of his hand. His face felt so tense he thought it would crack. Heck, he'd rather be going head to head with Kinsey than discussing his love life or lack there of, with anyone, let alone a flipping Tokra. Who by the way, was yakking.

". . . I am pleased your feelings for Samantha are now public with Jacob. He's been in denial since the ball that Samantha had fallen in love with you. I have never understood this part of your Tau'ri nature. We Tokra believe such shared emotions make us stronger as warriors. We encourage fraternization among our ranks."

"Yeah, I know, but that's not how it's done in my world. And now that Jacob knows, it probably never will, even if I retire. The man despises me. Doesn't believe I'm good enough for his daughter. Truth is, I'm not." Jack slouched back against the wall and closed his eyes.

"That is not true, Jack O'Neill."

Frowning, Jack looked up at Jacob, well, at Selmak, who was smiling rather affectionately. Man he was so tired of the charade. "Hey," he tugged his earlobes, "I'm all ears, Selmy."

"First off, Jack O'Neill, you are the best man to ever enter Samantha's life and Jacob knows that. He's just a typical over-protective parent reluctant to let go of his baby girl. Jacob loves, respects and admires you. He just doesn't say it, because he prefers your fearful respect. It gives him an edge."

"You can say that again, the fearful respect and edge part." Jacob loved him? Go figure.

"He prefers your-"

"Ah, Selmy, that was a figure of speech."

"I know, Jack, I was messing with you." Selmak laughed.

"Um, I've had enough messing with today, thanks." Jack's headache was so not going away.

"I apologize. Now about believing that you are unworthy of Samantha."

"Said that to-"

"You, Colonel Jack O'Neill, are strong, witty, tenacious, irreverent-"

"Yep, that's me. An irreverent mouthy flyboy."

"Often yes," Selmak laughed, then turned serious, "And smarter than you let on. Jacob also knows you will protect his daughter above all others. That you'd die for Samantha and not just as her CO, but also as her best friend and lover. You and Jacob are competitive for Sam's affections but not in a way you should fear. Jacob relishes your gung ho attitude, appreciates how you treat Sam as your equal, and acknowledges she's smarter than you-"

"Yo, Selmy, Sam's smarter than everyone. So don't make more of it than there is."

The Tokra chuckled. "I won't. But for many male Tau'ri that would be an issue of contention between themselves and their Godsend. Not with you and Sam."

"Excuse me?" Jack rubbed his neck. "You just said, Godsend."

"Yes. I believe that you and Samantha are chosen hearts by the Keeper of the Stars."

"Way too weird!"

"Why?"

"Um, I, well, heard that before." Jack scratched his neck and looked curiously at the alien.

"No doubt you have and with good cause. Now where was I? Oh, when you are with his Sam, Jacob does not worry about her welfare. So you see, Jack, despite what Jacob might say or how he behaves- "

"Jacob?" Daniel called from the corridor.

Jacob/Selmak's head dropped and lifted. He glared at Jack. "Despite what Selmak just said, this conversation is far from finished."

"If you say so, Jacob." Jack accepted the inevitable.

"Daniel?" Jacob turned and opened the door.

A cup of his latest brew in hand, Daniel grimaced and glanced briefly at Jack. "Sorry to interrupt you guys, but there's an incoming from the Tokra. Sounds important."

Jacob charged toward the helm. Jack and Daniel followed. Ten minutes later, Jacob prepared to be beamed aboard a Tokra scout vessel. Jacob had been given another undercover assignment and couldn't afford the luxury of returning SG-1 to the Alpha site. They were on their own.

Jack watched Sam and Jacob hug and kiss goodbye. They shared private words and Jack saw Sam's shoulders tighten as she nodded to whatever Jacob said. No doubt, Stop humping your CO. Feeling Jacob's censorious gaze Jack nodded goodbye. There was no usual man hug or handshake. Jack was unquestionably on Jacob's hit list.

Before the transport rings descended Jacob glared at Jack. "And, Colonel?"

"General?"

"I meant what I said before."

"Yes, Sir." Jack almost saluted.

"And under no circumstances, lose my ship!"

"Wouldn't think of it, Sir." Jack faked a confident smile. If their previous explosive conversation were any sign, it'd be Jack's luck to lose Jacob's Tel?tac.

After Jacob left Sam turned to Jack, eyes gleaming with disturbed curiosity. "Sir, you called Dad, General."

"Had to have been there, Carter." He shrugged. With Teal'c and Daniel observing them, Jack's impertinent nature grunted and made a face before he turned away.

A similar sound of contention emitted from Sam.

Determined to not let her get to him, Jack addressed his team, "You, kids, do whatever you were doing." He flagged his hands as if they were kindergarteners. "I'm going to catch some zzs. T, wake me in four hours and I'll relieve you. And Carter?"

"Sir/" She pivoted to face him.

"I suggest you get some rest." Jack's big hint to join him.

"Not tired, Sir." She wasn't defiant or cooperative.

"Fine. Fine. Whatever!" his brisk tone was enough to cause Daniel to make a quick exit toward the cargo bay while Teal'c returned to his post as pilot.

Again they stared at each other, neither giving quarter.

"Don't let me keep you awake, Sir," Sam's soft snicker hammered another nail in Jack's coffin.

"Don't worry, Major, you won't." Well that was a flat out lie and they both knew it.

When she returned to the helm Jack resigned to a bumpy ride from hereon out. He was in no mood to grovel. Even at hyper drive they had four days before they reached the Alpha site. Later was better. He hoped. Returning to his quarters, he exhaled a deep breath, removed his sunglasses and then dropped back against the wall and considered praying. Talking to God made even the bleakest situation looked better.

"Hellooo?" Daniel revealed his presence in the open hatchway. Jack had long concluded God had a warped sense of humor.

"Whasup, Danny?"

"Brought coffee." He held out one of two cups.

Jack feigned a smile and inwardly grimaced. Daniel had been on a blend his own brew kick. Some were winners. Some were stinkers. Teal'c, Sam and Jack had concluded that if it didn't smell good. It wasn't.

"Um, sure thanks." Accepting the hot drink Jack lounged on the berth. He lifted the cup to his nostrils, which rebelled. It was a cross between Hazelnut and rotting cabbage. His empty stomach knotted. Something green floated on the surface. Jack flicked it out, then set the cup on the nightstand. "Needs ta cool, but thanks."

"Found some Tokra grains. Ground them up and mixed with my specialty blends."

"Yeah!" Jack winced. "Smells . . .unique."

"Earthy." Daniel shoved a hand into his green BDU pocket and leaned against the door's jam, sipping the crap.

"Oh, yeah, just like the duds." Jack groaned when Jacob's trousers rode up his crotch again. He dropped his knees.

"Yeah. Sorry about the clothes, but hey you look good as Tokra."

"Oh, yeah, you wear a size 30 inseam when you're a 34 and we'll see how well you walk and talk, Daniel."

"Whoa, that explains why they . . ."

"What?" Jack dared him.

"Hug your butt," the linguist chuckled, "Which Sam loves."

"She said that?" Jack blushed.

"Course not." He chuckled. "But she loves your rear. Why do you think she walks behind you on most missions?"

"Same reason I walk behind her when I get the chance." He winked.

"You two are hopeless," Daniel sighed out with a smile. "So, see ya survived the father-son lecture."

"There, but for the grace of God, go I." Jack rolled his eyes.

"Boy, this is serious. I mean you don't go around bragging up God."

"God's the only one to have kept me from being zapped by Dad."

"Hey, Jacob loves you. It's just smoke screen." Daniel glanced behind him before he stepped into the compartment.

"Maybe. But that doesn't change the fact Sam and me are straddling the perilous gray line of fraternization. And if you haven't noticed, things aren't exactly peachy between us."

"Well that's what I wanted to discuss. Jacob and Sam got into a yelling match when you and Teal'c were cleaning up."

"Figures. Who won?"

"Hard to say. They're both stubborn, ya know? From what I heard Sam held her own. Admitted she's in love with you and Jacob should get his head out of the gutter. Furthermore, as her CO, you are above board and if he even hinted to tell Hammond, she'd never speak to him again. That got his attention."

"Ow! That's Sam." Jack brushed his nose and snuffed.

"Yeah, she didn't take any guff. But, Jack?"

"Daniel?"

"This last little romp of you being lost in space really beat her up. We all know the reason she's not talking to you. She won't let you or anyone else see her break down on duty."

"I know." Yeah, he knew his proud little soldier was putting on an act. So was he. "Daniel, as much as I crave this action and being a part of SG-1, I'm about to toss in the towel. Life's too short and precious. I can't keep doing this to Carter and remain her CO. Something's got to give. Retirement's the only option."

"Or marriage."

"Ah, crap! Not you too?" Jack's brows shot into his head as he recalled Tealc's jawing hours before.

"Tealc and I have been thinking-"

"Ah, so I assume you have a plan." His digits talked before he forced them to his lap.

"Yeah, and not just any plan. It's utterly brilliant, if I do say so myself."

"Then don't," Jack groused, wanting a beer.

"C'mon, at least listen?" the younger man whined.

"Daniel, other than a fool proof plan of brilliant stupidity, there's no way Sam and I can marry and still serve together."

"Huh?"

"What?"

"I like that."

"What?"

"Brilliant stupidity." Daniel grinned wider.

"An O'Neill clich."

"You hate clichs."

"Still do."

"Like your clich."

"Since when?"

"Now."

"Compliments will get you nowhere, Space Monkey."

Daniel waved him off. "Tealc and I have it all arranged. Actually you and Sam don't have to do anything."

"I don't want to hear this."

"But it's a really, really good idea." Daniel scrubbed his hands together as if plotting some major conspiracy.

"Whatever." Jack dropped his hands in defeat. Exhausted and deflated about never having a future with Sam, he pulled his knees to his chin and glared at the smirking linguist. "You so aren't going away are you?"

"Nope." Daniel shut the compartment door and dropped onto the bidet, running a hand along its engineered design that hugged his butt. "Cool chair."

Jack smirked.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Oh. I brought this for inspiration." Daniel reached into his jacket pocket, removed a small object and tossed it to Jack.

Wide-eyed, Jack caught the blue fishing lure box.

"Close your mouth, Jack."

Jack snapped his jaw shut and shook the box at him. "Hey, just how long, you two buttheads, been planning this brilliant stupidity?"

"In the memorable words of one Jack O'Neill, so not going there."

"Afraid you'd say that." Jack cringed, opened the palm size, plastic box and glanced at its content. He could imagine the two-carat, blue diamond ring on Samantha's slender wedding finger. Doubt bit him hard enough to snap the case shut and tuck it into his pocket. Daniel did not seem to notice Jack's somber, flat-lined expression.

"Now here's the plan?"

Jack plunged his ears with his fingers and began to sing, loudly, "La-la-la-la . . . I can't hear you!"

Daniel never stopped talking.

*~*

Dang, it was a brilliant plan! Trouble was, Sam wouldn't buy into it. Leave it to Daniel and Tealc to take matters into their own hands. Literally. An hour later, while finally dozing, Jack was gagged, tied-up and tossed into Sam's dark quarters. Crap, his knees hurt. His lower back was in knots and he had to pee. Worse, Sam was going to be pissed! ~*~

CHAPTER THREE "Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match, find me a find, catch me a catch . . ."

~*~

At the helm, Sam stifled another yawn and babysat the controls while the cargo ship soared through hyperspace. She'd told Tealc to get some rest, but the Jaffa insisted he only needed nutritional substance and would return so that she could sleep. Sleep? No way. Not without Jack. Man, when had she become so dependent on her CO that she couldn't doze unless he was nearby? If he were at least within eye view like most missions, she'd easily crash for an hour. The same applied to Jack. Wow, if Hammond or Janet ever caught wind of their sleeping disorder, they'd be sent to Doctor Mackenzie's office faster than when Daniel had switched bodies with Marchello.

Meanwhile, the idea of four days in a confined space with Jack seemed about as painful as having a ribbon device aimed at her skull. He'd steered clear of her for hours. No doubt, he regretted proposing to her, let alone while under the influence of oxygen depravation. How embarrassing. Worse she'd accepted, well if you count screaming, "YES!" at the top of your lungs with your judgmental father beside you. Not to mention, they'd had but seconds to save Jack and Tealc's lives, yeah it was memorable all right. Daniel and Tealc swore they hadn't told Jack that she'd accepted his proposal. Sure, and the Asgard eat Jell-O! Still, a smile played on Sam's lips. Jack had been so out of it, he thought he was in the Wizard of Oz movie. She was Dorothy and Jack was Scarecrow. He'd been so darn cute. Still was. Always would be. Sam sighed and closed her eyes with regret. A few more minutes and Jack would have died!

Not that she was running to Jack's arms, mind you. Dad had laid enough guilt on Sam to keep her in military mode for a long, long time. They'd argued. Sam stating what she felt for Jack was none of his business. Dad stating that long as she was an officer of the United States Air Force it dang well was his business! Ironically, through their entire screaming match, Dad never once said he disliked or disapproved of Jack being her lover. Well, then again, they only touched on the true definition of 'lover' when Sam made it clear Jack had never overstepped the line of intimate fraternization with her. However, she failed to mention their regularly scheduled hug-marathons or how they slept together most every night on and off world. No, she wasn't about to give him any more ammunition than he already had.

Sam also assumed, from the angry voices echoing through the ship two hours back, that Dad had pulled a guilt number on Jack too. Reason one for Jack calling Jacob, general and sir. Love sucked! Trouble was Dad, saying no, made her want Jack more. And now that Dad had conveniently left, it wouldn't take much for her to ignore the regs. Exhaustion aside, Sam was emotional and sexually frustrated. If found within close proximity of Jack O'Neill she'd rip off his clothes and have her way with him. She'd almost lost him again and the idea of loving this hard and this deep and never having made love with Jack made her look long and hard at her list of priorities. Despite her liberated believes, Sam was pretty traditional when it came to love and sex. First off that they fell in that order. She'd always believed that fourth base meant wedding bells and rice. Yet with Jack she wondered if that would ever happen. She realized just how weak she had become and was seriously thinking of skipping bases and making that home run without the wedding ring. Not that it hadn't crossed her mind more than once over the last four and half years, just now it was stronger than ever.

This thought took her briefly but painfully back to her engagement to Jonas Hanson. What a mistake. Even more it had left her confused and hurting to this very day. She recalled when she'd finally agreed to make love with him and her lack of enjoyment in the act. All the while imagining the faceless lover of her fitful dreams, holding her caressing her. How her lover spoke reassurances and tenderly loved her. But when Jonah entered her, it was none of the above. Worse, when he didn't meet the resistance of her hymen, they were both surprised. A surprise that turned into accusations that she'd lied to him and wasn't a virgin.

Sam had been equally angered and shocked. To her conscious knowledge she'd never been with a man until Jonah and yet the evidence or lack there of, said differently. That painful awakening pretty much ended their engagement. Jonah would never let her forget her shame and she soon realized just how much of an egomaniac he was.

Shortly there after, Sam had her first encounter with Jack as Striker. From that moment on, there was no turning back. He immediately replaced the mysterious lover in her dreams and stranger yet, his voice was an exact match for her dream lover. Sam had never questioned that phenomenon until of late.

Three years ago, she had started to visit Doctor Mackenzie, then stopped. Last month she returned when her haunting passionate dreams were replaced by stomach pain and the cries of a faceless baby. It got pretty hairy and Mackenzie decided to back track to her more pleasant dreams again. She was relieved until he asked whose face had replaced her undisclosed lover. Sam bailed out. No way was she going to tell the SGC shrink that her CO was her dream lover. Nope so not going to happen.

Sam's thoughts came full circle. Her brief encounter with Jack when she had exited the cargo bay almost unhinged her. She'd wanted to jump into his arms and never leave. She could still see his typical 'oh duh' expression as he unconsciously massaged her left shoulder. His chocolate eyes earnestly searching hers, his rugged features scrunched with confusion, as to what had upset her. She'd wanted to tell him but with Dad, Teal'c, and Daniel in hearing range, it wasn't going to happen.

Ever since the Zatarc test, Daniel and Tealc had been watching them carefully as had Janet. Their teammates were keenly aware of the emotional and sexual tension charging between Sam and her CO. Funny thing, Cassandra had seen it the first time they met her four years back. She had even asked them to get married and adopt her, before Janet had agreed to. Cassandra? Why was Sam thinking of her here of all places? Actually she thought of Cassandra every day no matter where she was and associated Jack and herself if only in their hearts as Cassie's parents.

Their bond with Cassie was precious and mysterious at best. Sam never forgot the moment she first set eyes on the frightened girl. It was as if she'd found missing part of herself. And the moment Jack met Cassie a similar link between her man and this child materialized. If anything Sam envied the paternal attachment Jack and Cassie had built over the years. Their similarities were amazing. They could easily pass for father and daughter, not to mention they had the same interests, including fishing, hockey and astronomy. Cassie had long ago started calling Jack, Dad, and Sam's longing to have him father her children felt stronger than ever.

But one had to first acknowledge there was a 'them' let alone a future. Daniel once called their frustrated love affair, a runaway train accident just waiting to happen. He was right. If she weren't feeling so obstinate right now, she'd be asleep in Jack's arms. He'd even made the offer. And she'd stupidly turned him down. Why? Because she feared they'd talk about his proposal and that he'd not meant it. Strange, although Jack had yet to officially propose, they'd comfortably assumed that was their future. They discussed the family and friends they'd invite, even what kind of music and wedding cake.

Our inevitable marriage is a given, right? Wrong! No way can you get hitched while serving together, Sam! No way around the freaking regs and you both know it! And that's exactly what he will tell you when and if you allow yourself to be alone with him. So not going to happen, Samantha Jean Carter! Hell will freeze over before you have that heart to heart heartache conversation.

"Hey, Sam, need to talk," Daniel whispered in her ear while Tealc returned to pilot the ship.

"About what?" She glanced about the helm, surprised not to see Jack. Daniel did one of his 'not around Tealc' expressions. Sam rolled her eyes and reluctantly left her seat, realizing her butt had gone numb and exercise was a must.

"It's not nice to keep things from Tealc, Daniel. In fact, it's rude," she groused following him toward the mess, feeling the need to kick something. Daniel's cute, tight rear looked awful tempting. She wondered if he'd mind?

As if reading her evil thoughts, Daniel turned quickly around. "First, it's important you read this."

Curious, Sam accepted the folded paper and read out loud, "I, Colonel Jonathon J. O'Neill do hereby resign my tenure as an officer of the United States Air Force effective this day, the 10th of September 2000. Daniel! He can't!"

"Already did." Daniel pointed to Jack's chicken scratch at the bottom of the letter. "And since I'm a legal notary public, I validated it. So it became legal and binding the instant he signed." The linguist tapped his finger against the notary public stamp that marked the spot.

"You-you brought your stamp?"

"Never leave home without it." He grinned behind his glasses.

"This is ludicrous!" Sam shook the paper as massive arms seized her from behind, pinning her arms to her waist. "Tealc! Daniel! What are you-" She kicked out with her boots, but Daniel caught them and held on. Sam was shoved into her dark quarters, landing on top of a hard body. Behind her the door shut.

A muffled groan discharged from the familiar wiggling masculine form. Sam rolled off, shot to her feet and hit the light switch.

"Sir!" She found Jack on his side, bound and gagged facing her. He yelled through the tape and tried to squirm free. Sam dropped to her knees and ripped the duct tape off his mouth, taking a few whiskers with it.

"Ow!" he grimaced. "Thanks, Carter. Now undo the rest of me will ya?"

Sam rocked back on her heels and stared at him. Prior issues of concern took a backseat. Hum, a bound and gagged Jack O'Neill has its advantages.

"Carter."

"Yes?"

"Release me. That's an order!"

"According to this, you can't order me to do anything, anymore." She brandished the crumpled paper in his face.

"Oh, that." He made a face. "Okay. Pretty please, untie me?"

Sam put her face in his space. "Only if you promise to tear this up and get us out of here, so I can kill Teal'c and Daniel?"

"Fine, fine. I'll even help with their permanent demise," he whined stretching against his bindings.

"One thing first."

"What?" He suspiciously eyeballed her.

Sam winked wickedly.

Jack gulped.

"Car-"

Her hot moist lips silenced him.

~*~

"Umm." Jack loved retirement.

Sam's tongue teased his pliant mouth and then dove inside. Jack strained closer, considering his wrists and ankles were secured behind him with military ties. Sam unfastened the Tokra tunic and slid her hand across his bare chest, extracting a groan. Tensing, Jack twisted his mouth from hers.

"Ah, Sam, whatcha doing?"

"Having my way with you, Jack O'Neill, with two l's." She tugged the shirt down to his secured wrists, her fingers dancing across his rock hard abs and extracting a deeper groan from him. "Amazing!"

"Um, crunches," he squeaked out recalling their exchange after Hathor failed to make Jack her first prime two years ago. His mouth ajar, Jack licked his dry lips.

Sam proceeded to unhitch her belt.

"Oy!" he gulped. "Isn't this putting the cart before the horse?"

"Thought you wanted to skip bases?" She smiled alluringly tugging her t-shirt from her waist.

"Yeah, sure. But here?" Jack stared at her tanned belly as she dragged the shirt over her blonde head. He proceeded to blink and then gawk when her overflowing bra came into view. 'Love those freckles.' His gazed trailed the metal chain of her dog tags. Ah, yes, dog tag heaven! Her cleavage view was a heart-stopper. Whoaee! Houston you have a go! He wanted to touch but couldn't. "Hey, untie me!"

"Oh, but I like this." She kissed his right bicep, inching her way toward the coarse hairs of his chest.

"Carter!" he growled. "That's a order!"

"Make up your mind! Are you or are you not, retired?"

Hating to be out of control, Jack sniffed a breath and shot back, "Being retired has nothing to do with not being able to get my hands on you, woman! Just another reason for you to let me go."

"Ask nice and I will." She trailed her fingers due south smiling at the response she encountered.

"Sam?" Jack's breath hitched as his testosterone jettisoned out of control.

"That's better." She pulled out her jackknife and slit the white plastic ties. Jack sat up right and stretched his aching shoulders and legs. Tugging the shirt off his arms he rubbed his wrists and then his ankles, and then pulled Sam down onto him.

She laughed softly as he claimed her mouth in a fierce possessive kiss. Jack was close to melt down. But his conscience nagged him. Reluctantly, he broke their embrace and reached for her t-shirt. "Before this goes further than it should . . . " He cleared his throat and shoved her clothes between them, far more chivalrous than he felt.

"And just what do you mean by that?" There was a defined nip to her words.

"Don't want regrets, Sam." He slid out from under her and grabbed his tunic off the floor.

"Regrets!" She held her shirt to her heaving breasts. "Are you saying you'd regret making love to me?"

"Huh?"

"You heard!" She slouched on the berth.

"That's so not what I meant. Course, I wanna make love to you."

"Well?" She indicated their situation. "I almost lost you again. Two die-hard romantics locked us up. And you just conveniently retired." She retrieved the letter and waved it. "That at least qualifies for third base. I suggest we go for broke. No holds barred!"

Jack pushed to his feet. "Well there's that. But I'd rather it not be with T and Daniel backstage taking bets and-." He indicated the intercom and yelled, "Eavesdropping!"

The intercom clicked off. "Thought so." He dragged his hands over his face then tossed his arms in the air.

"And I don't care who's listening," Sam said with defiance.

"Wow!" He'd never have expected that out of his conservative Sam. He filed that for future reference. "Well, I've got to pee."

"Then pee!" She waved at the toilet he'd yet figured how to use.

"Without an audience." He gestured for her to turn around.

"You've got to be kidding! Off world, we've seen each other urinate plenty of times. Suddenly you're modest."

"There were bushes between us, Carter. Besides, I'm not ready."

"To pee or make love?" Sam's mouth opened then snapped shut. Leaping to her feet. She was in his face.

"Make love." Jack wondered just where the fly was on the Tokra pants.

"You're not ready?"

"Nada," he engaged his CO bark.

Hands planted on her slim hips, Sam ranted, "Four miserable years of can't touch, can't have, and now that you can, you, Mister Horny Pants, aren't ready?"

Jack flinched. "It's not what you think. Its just there's a sequence of events I've got in my head of how this should go down. I mean when I was out there . . ." He indicated the porthole behind the berth.

"You proposed to me." She eased her t-shirt back over her partial clad body. Jack sighed regret as her twin mounds vanished from his view. Weird, he no longer needed to relieve himself.

"Yeah." His hand slipped to the only pouch the Tokra trousers had, a large deep pocket with a flap where he felt the tiny plastic case and-the freaking crotch opening. "But I was delusional and your CO," he reminded her, buttoning the tunic.

"Yes, you were and no doubt technically still are," she sounded wary.

"It's valid!" He snapped the letter with a finger.

"Oh." She did her cute turtledove gulp.

"So." He feared they'd never make it off first base let alone through their edgy exchange without one of them walking.

"I will."

"Will what, Major?" He stepped closer, inhaling the sweetness of her.

"Marry you, Silly." She gazed intimately into his taut features.

Jack's breath hitched as looked down at her. She wore a pensive concerned expression. The engines hummed in the background-Jack talked with his hands. "Excuse me?"

"You heard." She traced a fingertip along his slackened jaw and then shut it.

"Um, I heard something all right, and swore I heard you yell the word 'yes' earlier, but I was in Oz, right?" He tipped his head heavenward.

"Sure were."

"So, maybe I still am."

"Not unless you didn't mean what you asked me." She mimicked his gestures.

"Oh, I meant it, Babe."

"Good. Then marry me, Jack O'Neill, with two L's, Colonel Sir."

"Covering all your bases?" He snuffed a breath.

"Of course. I've learned from the best, base coverer in the universe."

Jack chuckled. "Um, that piece of paper aside, if I say yes, we're in deep dodo with Dad."

"A risk I'm willing to take, Jack, Colonel, Sir."

"Well, there you are. The ayes have it."

Sam leaned in for a kiss, but he pulled back.

"Wait!" He unhitched the Velcro like snap and dug deep into his pocket that went half down his thigh.

"Man, oh, man, this better be good!" She eased her hands under his tunic.

"Nah ah. Patience is a virtue." He dropped down on his right knee with a grunt.

"You all right?" Sam winced at his pained expression.

"Well, the knees are acting up and the lower back can't take all that sitting and-"

"Jack!" Sam moaned her frustration and settled on the toilet seat before him. She appeared ready to throttle him.

"Well, I'm just saying." He removed the bait case, thinking how it couldn't get any weirder than this. Proposing to your girl while she sat on the head. Yeah, another out of this world story, to tell their grandkids.

"You're giving me your favorite fly . . .err lure?"

"Open it?" his voice strained.

"Alright." She wavered and then slowly lifted the cover as if were full of worms. Her eyes rounded, began to tear. "Holy Hannah! Jack, it's beautiful! I can't . . ."

"Marry me?" he gaped.

"No! I mean, yes, I'll marry you!" She began crying a river.

Jack looked helplessly on. "For crying out loud, Carter. This is about a wedding, not a funeral." He swiped at her leaking nose with his tunic sleeve and then pointed at the stone. "The setting's your favorite, platinum. Know you're not into fancy rings so it's wide enough to be a wedding band too-The stone's a pure blue diamond from Abydos. Daniel helped me get it."

"He did?"

"Yeah, had to blackmail him to not tell you. The rock-hugger brought it with him." Jack shoved to his feet bringing Sam with him. "Found out he brings it whenever we go off world." He scratched his lower back, wishing he had pockets.

"Just how long have you been planning this?" Her gaze narrowed.

"Um, does it matter?" Jack failed to hold her cautious expression.

"Yes!" her voice held no compromise. "I recall this being on your desk for years."

"And you never opened it?"

"Not a chance. Figured there was something dead inside."

"I know." He acted all cocky.

"How long?" She dropped the box into his hands like it was poison.

"Fine, fine!" he mumbled under his breath, "three years."

"Three years!" Sam gasped.

"Whatever!" He turned defensive. "Got it for you."

"Pretty sure of yourself, eh, flyboy?"

He delivered his, 'heck no' look that was quickly replaced by, "Hey, a guy can dream, right?"

"Glad you did." She stuck out her left hand and wiggled her ring finger with invitation.

Jack beamed and with shaking hands slipped the shimmering blue diamond onto Sam's delicate boned finger. It was a perfect fit.

"Whoa!" She giggled at the weight and clarity of the flawless stone. "It's breathtaking."

"Like you, Sam. The first moment we met, you took my breath away, still do."

Sam's eyes glistened with unconditional love. "You do the same to me, Jonathon O'Neill. Always, have always will and-"

He kissed her.

~*~

Oh yeah! She took his breath away!

Between kisses they talked, well sort of. "When we found Digger One and you nor Teal'c responded, I thought I'd lost you, Jack."

Sam's left hand had wiggled back beneath his tight tunic. Her hot fingers were doing amazing things to him. Jack swallowed . . .well tried

"Um, I'm sorry, Sam. Won't fall for one-way death glider scenarios again. Promise." He kissed her neck, determined to skip a few bases and slide into third.

"You really aren't retired, are you?" she asked against his hot hungry lips.

"Sure am."

"For how long?" She pulled back and looked directly into his smoldering eyes.

"Long as necessary." He winked and then returned to dropping soft kisses against her arching neck, his fingers sifting through her silky blonde hair.

Out of breath, Sam murmured, "You're evil, Jack O'Neill."

"Um, that's my line." Having gained access to her back beneath her shirt, he caressed her ribs and then moved to her belly and upward to the swell of her breasts. Sam's breath hitched against his intimate touch. He was going where no man had gone in a very, very long time. And he proudly knew it.

"Jack?"

"Huh?" He gently pressed her down to the berth and shifted his weight straddling her hips while his thighs pinned hers.

"Hum . . . are we going to make love?"

Her nervous request barely registered with Jack's passion clouded mind. "Thought that's what you wanted?"

"Oh, I do! Do you?"

"Oh, yeah." Jack struggled inwardly. That strong spiritual voice residing in his heart said no, but his pleasure charged nerve endings screamed yes. "I've wanted you forever, Sam." He nibbled her right earlobe.

"Me too." She thrust her pelvis against him. "And I know you believe," she kissed him tenderly, "when a man and woman join as one, make love, they are married in God's eyes."

"Sure do." His fingers found the hook of her bra and-

"So, let's wait."

"Huh?"

"You once said, that it was important, because you didn't wait with Sara for the wedding night. Well, I didn't wait with Jonas either. So, I think we should start our own family traditions and values and wait. It will be a good example to set for our children."

"Ok-ay." Jack couldn't believe his reply or his ears! Then again, he wasn't thinking with the same head that had, upon less, lust-sated occasions made that heartfelt statement. "But can we still do third base?" 'Please say yes?'

"Yeah sure yabetcha."

~*~ First Base, Second base . . .Strike three you're out!

"Crap! Now what?"

A dizzy sensation washed over them, non-making-out related.

"We've dropped out of hyper drive," Jack murmured against her lips.

"Yeah, way too soon." Sam frowned and rearranged her clothing.

The next moment, they were at the door. Sam pressed the intercom and yelled, "Daniel and Tealc let us out!"

"Major Carter, the hatch was never locked," Tealc voice boomed back.

"Oh." She scowled at Jack, who was now thankful for the loose fitting tunic.

"Who'da thunk?" He grinned sheepishly and shoved his hands downward as if there were pockets to crawl into.

"Whatever." Sam scoffed before glancing at the diamond gracing her finger. "If I didn't know better, I've been hoodwinked."

"Nah, really?" Jack couldn't contain the grin creeping across his face.

Sam sighed as they left her quarters and rushed to the helm. "Three to one is not fair."

"Never said it was." He waggled his brows. "So ya change your mind?"

"Never!" She smiled back as they entered the command center.

"Wha'sup?" Jack asked before Sam could open her mouth.

"Jacob/Selmak gave permission to visit to Bra'tac on Chulak before returning to earth, with hope he has news of Drey'auc and Rya'c."

"Um, he didn't tell me." Sam's mouth flattened.

"You were not present when I made the inquiry," Tealc replied.

"Oh." She didn't seem to buy it.

"I heard though." Daniel jumped in avoiding Sam's scrutinizing look.

"Well, I'm just saying even if Jacob didn't allow it which I'm not saying he did, as CO, I allow it." He smiled at Sam who appeared off balance. "Do I need to explain that for you, Carter?" Jack sniffed a breath.

"Yes. Considering you are retired and no longer CO of SG-1, that leaves me in command," she countered.

"Oy!"

Tealc and Daniel turned in their seats, frowned at Jack and then smiled way too nicely at Sam. 'The butt kissers.'

"She has a point, Jack." Daniel inserted for good measure.

"Indeed," Teal addressed Sam. "I only require one day, Major Carter." Tealc did his best Jaffa pretty please tone.

"Okay, one day. Actually we could leave the ship on Chulak and if we can get by the Jaffa, we can return through the Stargate." Sam seemed pleased with this initiative.

"Oh," Daniel and Teal'c said in unison.

"Fine. Fine," Jack muttered, realizing that like him, they'd forgotten about the freaking gate. Jack glowered at his best buddies as he envisioned getting hitched to Sam being flushed down the event horizon. Again!

Jack's urge to pee returned. ~*~

CHAPTER FOUR 'Be careful what you wish for. Yadda, yadda . . .'

~*~

Jack figured out how to operate the kidney shaped toilet/bidet. A combination toilet/butt washer that proved shocking but weirdly refreshing when the jet of warm water hit him you know where. He further determined there had to be another application for that forceful stream of vertical water. He just didn't know what yet. But it would come to him. It always did.

The Tel?tac's cloaking device proved invaluable. Apophis was still Chulak's landlord and Jack was none too keen on dropping by. But if it meant giving Teal'c some comfort about his family what the heck? Besides, Jack was retired and had no authority over Carter, which proved a testing ground. Furthermore, leaving Dad's ship on Chulak was not wise. He'd discussed pro versus con with Sam. She refused to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile they did agree they would maintain their military persona of rank on Chulak. On the sly, Teal'c informed Jack that in accordance with the Jaffa marriage law, their human military protocol was of no significance. In other words the Jaffa could give a rat's ass if he and Sam got married.

It turned out Bra'tac was on a covert mission, but the ragtag rebels and their families welcomed Tealc and his guests. Dealing with the rival Goa'uld system lords, Apophis had no time to disrupt the newest wave of Jaffa rebels on Chulak. Although constantly on the move, they'd been living in peace for almost four months. Tealc cautioned they needed to remain alert, because as always, Apophis would strike when least expected. For now, their hosts made preparations to celebrate Tealc and SG-1's visit. In other words, a party was in the makings. Jack hoped there'd be cake.

Networking, Teal'c discovered that Heru'ur's former first prime Re'vil had recently joined the revolution. As Teal'c made introductions, Jack felt uneasy with the younger Horus guard. Perhaps it was the fact he kept looking at Carter like she was dessert and seemed tickled pink that Jack had honored them with his presence.

"I cannot tell you how pleased I am to meet the great Tau'ri warrior whose name makes the systems lords tremble with fear, Colonel O'Neill."

"Quite a mouthful." Jack winced, uncomfortable with the hoopla.

"Teal'c is correct. You are a humble man, O'Neill," Re'vil acknowledged, and then looked Sam over again and licked his lips.

"Yeah, well, the Goa'uld have the cap on narcissism."

Sam's eyes widened and she adjusted her P-90.

"What?"

"Do you know what narcissism means, Sir?"

"Sure. Means arrogance." Jack leaned on his P-90. His action caused the Tokra breeches to ride up his butt. He adjusted himself. Jack caught her gaze dip to his backside. Her cheeks brighten.

"Enjoying the view, Carter?"

"Yeah sure yabetcha, Sir." She grinned.

"You're evil." Now he was blushing.

"Yep." She winked but then stifled a yawn.

"Um, you need to sleep, Major."

"I'm fine, Sir."

"You look like crap, Carter." Jack shook his head in CO fashioned concern.

"Love you too, Sir." Sam sassed.

"Ditto, now stop changing the subject." He felt Re'vil's observant gaze and turned to the man arching a brow.

"Then it is true. You and Major Carter are in-"

"Um, well this was real cozy, Rival, and I'd like to chat, pick your brain, and get the latest scoop on your previous employer, Herpes." Jack glanced nervously at Teal'c who took the cue.

"Indeed, O'Neill." Teal'c nodded at the former first prime who looked confused. "Re'vil has agreed to discuss Heru'ur with us tomorrow morning before we depart."

"Shouldn't we do that now, Sir?" Sam cleared her throat, stared at Jack and then yawned.

"Sounds like a plan, Rival, Teal'c." Jack ignored her talking eyes and scratched his nose.

"Sir!"

Jack glared her down. "Not now." He grabbed her arm and dragged her away, then yelled back, "We'll do coffee, croissants . . ."

"Sir, this is crazy!" Sam argued. "He can give us information that-"

"Can help us defeat Apophis. Know that, Carter. He's also not going anywhere. Meantime you need to rest."

"I'm in charge!"

"If you say so." Jack donned his deadpan expression.

To his amazement Sam yielded, but only if it was on his shoulder. Who was Jack to argue? This meant he'd finally sleep. When he asked where they could catch some zz's, two young women escorted them to ancient oak tree with colorful streamers hanging from its branches. Well this was one honking target for Apophis to blow a hole through, Jack mused. He'd never understand the rebel Jaffa's warped mindset.

At the foot of the tree, women set out blankets and cushions and instructed Jack and Sam to lie down. Removing his P-90 and zat Jack instructed Sam to do the same. Too tired to argue, she conceded. Jack signaled her beside him. Reluctant to be publicly affectionate, Sam wavered when Jack eased his arm around her.

"Best pillow in town." He grinned and offered his left shoulder. "Going once, going twice. Sold to the blue-eyed blonde-"

"Sir?" she sighed out with frustration.

"Jack?" He arched a brow of annoyance.

"Sorry." She blushed. "Do you think it's okay for us-I mean here?" She waved a hand at their surroundings.

"Samantha, I'm retired. The Jaffa could give a hoot what we do under this tree. And as much as I'd love to take advantage of your sleep deficiency, I'm too dog-tired. So lets get comfortable and- "

The women began to unlace their boots.

"Hey, stop that!"

"Um, they just want us to relax, Sam."

"Sure this isn't a warped tribal custom that could find us in a communal stew pot?" She warily watched a woman tug off her left boot and then the sock.

"They're Jaffa, not cannibals."

"And your point?" She shook her head in distrust.

"Ah, yeah. Right." Jack flinched. "But I'm sure Daniel would stop them if it was something nasty or sexually perverted."

Several yards away, the linguist chatted with other Jaffa. Looking over he waved at Jack and Sam.

Obviously still miffed with her best buddy, Sam frowned. "You still trust him, after he and Tealc tied you up and then locked us in my room?" Sam snorted.

"Well, no-but wow!" One of the women began to massage the soles of Jack's bare feet. "That feels way too good to become beef stew," he sighed, leaning back against the cushions.

"They usually tenderize the meat first, Sir."

That got his attention. When he glanced into her blue pools, he found Sam grinning.

"Oh, yeah." She gave in as a younger woman began massaging her aching feet.

Within moments of their foot rub, the couple spooned and then fell asleep. Four hours later, when they awoke, fires and torches illuminated the night sky. Jack and Sam were surrounded by giggling children and several more women who, were Jack a betting man that he was, were taking notes. Something in their cheeky smiles cautioned him to stay on guard. After redressing their feet, Jack and Sam rose and stretched. Jack spotted Tealc talking with an elder Jaffa. Jack excused himself and approached his friend, who now wore the traditional Jaffa garb.

"T?"

"O'Neill." The big guy smiled at Jack while the elder nodded and took his leave. "It is good to see you looking more refreshed."

"Cut the bull, Murray. What's going on here?" He made a casual gesture to where the women hovered around Sam. As always, his former 2IC took it in stride and talked warmly to the other females.

"The presence of a Tau'ri female is new to the Jaffa women. They are merely curious, O'Neill."

"Ah huh." Jack nodded. The O'Neill gut ache was strong and it wasn't over food. "So making us sleep under that tree with all those pretty streamers and the footsy rub doesn't mean anything?"

A slight smile tipped Teal'c firm mouth and left brow upward. "I did not say that, O'Neill."

"Crap! Knew it! If we just got hitched under that tree Sam's going to kill me."

Teal'c's rarely heard laughter captured Sam's attention. When she glanced over, Jack forced a devil may care smile and waved.

Sam waved back. Thank heavens, she bought it.

"T!" Jack turned and glared.

"You are not married . . .yet, O'Neill," he explained calmly, nodding at Sam.

"Well that's a relief, big guy." Jack expelled a painful held breath.

"But by agreeing to sleep beneath 'The Tree of One' together, you are sealed as betrothed lovers, which precedes the mating ritual, or as you Tau'ri call it, the wedding ceremony."

"For crying out loud!" Jack faked another grin for Sam who was explaining her uniform patches to the nosy women. When one of them snatched Sam's left hand and stared at the diamond ring, Teal'c frowned.

"What?"

"Although customs have changed over the years, the more traditional beliefs call for an exchange of rings during the mating ritual, however the woman cannot see or wear her betrothal ring before the ceremony. You must get the diamond from Samantha Carter, O'Neill. Now!"

"You're nuts. She'll chew my head off." He snuffed a breath.

"Rather that head than the more vital one," Teal'c indicated Jack's crotch, "which will be sliced off once the women report to the elders you have violated a primary courtship statute."

"You know I hate being surprised, Teal'c! And this qualifies as a," he hung quote marks in the air, "Surprise!" Jack glanced at his groin and shuddered.

"Indeed!" Teal'c did not seem upset. Then again, the Jaffa's manhood wasn't in jeopardy. "No doubt, Daniel Jackson will find the process of Jaffa castration of immense interest."

Another shiver charged up Jack's spine. "It'd been nice if you'd covered those fine details before hand."

"I believed you wanted no prior knowledge of Doctor Jackson's and my plan of brilliant stupidity."

"Apparently my judgment was premature." Whoa! Did he just say the P word? Not something he wanted to think about. Not that it ever was a problem. He glanced at Sam. Nor would it be.

"The ring, O'Neill."

"Um, oh, yeah." Jack ran back to Sam. Without ceremony he lifted her left hand and examined the blue diamond. "Umm, the setting looks loose, Babe." He motioned for her to remove it.

"It is not loose, Jack. And I'm never taking off your ring." She held tight to her ring finger and glared him down.

"I'll give it back, promise." He snatched her hand and slipped the platinum setting over her slender knuckle.

"Promise?" Sam pouted.

"Cross my heart and hope to die." Relieved, he noted the nod of consent from one of the women on the dying statement.

"You've already done the dying part," Sam snickered oblivious to the possible loss of her fianc reproduction organs.

"Well, there's that." Jack popped the ring into his pocket and sighed relief. Now what?

"Come eat!" One of the men announced.

"I'm starved," Sam admitted.

"Me too. Sounds like a plan," Jack offered Sam his arm and they headed for the buffet.

"Oh, look, Sir. A baby goat."

Jack felt himself being dragged aside as two teens boys chased the four legged black kid. The goat ran straight for Sam and under her legs. Jack sighed, Figures kids including Billy goats knew Sam had a soft heart.

Sam drew the trembling animal to her and smiled at the approaching youths. The determined glints in their eyes caused Sam's smile to fade. "It's scared, Jack." She dropped to her knees and began to pet its trembling form.

"So," he shrugged, wanting to eat, not play with a goat.

"Give it back!" One youth yelled out.

"Why?" Sam asked defensively coming to her feet.

"We need it."

"For what?" She lifted the young goat into her arms and then shoved it into Jack's.

"Hey. Yuck!" he muttered as the young kid nuzzled his face, then started chewing his tunic sleeve.

"Why the sacrifice of course." Another answered.

"No way!" Sam protested and put herself in front of Jack and the goat.

"Ah, Sam." Jack spoke calmly over the smelly creature's adorable face. "Have you forgotten the first rule of off world protocol?"

She glared back.

"Yes. Well. Let me refresh your memory. Under no circumstances are we to meddle in their cultural customs or laws and this is definitely meddling."

"Since when did that stop you, Sir? Or have you forgotten a certain wedding cake you ate four years back?"

"Oy!" Ow, that one hurt. He really hoped by now Sam had laid that major blunder of his to rest. He had. "Not fair, Carter. I didn't meddle, I was tricked. And we're talking goat not cake here!"

"Whatever!" She dismissed him and turned back to the boys. "Now listen here, boys, there is not going to be any goat sacrifice. Got it!" She barked in her scariest military voice.

The youths paled and ran off, only to encounter Teal'c, after which they hurried away.

Teal'c strolled up to Sam and Jack, eyeing up Jack's occupied arms. "There appears to be a misunderstanding, O'Neill."

"Got that right," Sam was still steaming. "I can't believe how barbaric you people still are. Sacrificing an innocent creature like this." She reached over and pet Jack's squirming armful.

"Indeed." Teal'c sighed out. "Rest assured, the goat is safe and there will be no sacrifice tonight, Major Carter."

"Thanks, Teal'c." She smiled and giving the goat one last pat, walked toward the banquet table. "Coming, Sir?"

"Um, yeah." Jack shoved the goat into Teal'c's arms. "So," he sniffed his smelly tunic and grimaced. "What is this about it?" He eyeballed the goat.

"It is a Jaffa wedding tradition to sacrifice a goat during the ceremony."

"Well, dumb idea. Especially with my save the whales loving 2IC. Beside we aren't married yet and as much as I love your Chulak traditions, I think we should eliminate anything that might upset Sam. That includes the bowing and obeying the husband lingo I heard you folks do."

"You are correct and wise, O'Neill. I've already adjusted the vows to suit your Ta'uri marriage ritual."

"Thanks, T. And as much as I appreciate this, please don't count your chickens before they're hatched."

"Another Ta'uri clich I do not comprehend, O'Neill."

"Yeah, well until Carter agrees to marry me here on Chulak, it's still a pipe dream, good buddy."

Further confused the Jaffa's brows receded into his bald head.

Jack sighed. "Look, just make sure this goat lives long and prosperous or we'll both be singing soprano come morning."

"That much I understand, O'Neill."

~*~

An hour later Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Tealc sat around the fire consuming the local cuisine and their version of a fermented apple juice that had a kick to it. Apparently this was the one alcohol beverage Tealc's symbiote could tolerate. Jack couldn't wait to see if T got snookered. From the foolish antics of the other Jaffa's drinking the wine, it would be an amusing sight. Meanwhile, Jack worried what Daniel and Tealc had up their sleeves. Other than when he and Sam had been asleep, they hadn't been out of his sight. A lot could have happened in four hours. No doubt had.

Jack insisted that if there were to be a wedding, it would not only be conceptual between him and Sam, but he wanted no prior knowledge of what Daniel or Tealc were conspiring. The less Jack knew the better he felt about the situation and the less deceptive. Bad enough he hadn't told Sam he wanted to marry her on Chulak or that Daniel and Tealc were up to no good. Well, the latter, she'd already figured out.

Three glasses of wine later Jack kept grinning at Sam, who kept grinning at him. Feeling more relaxed and amorous, he eased his arm around her and drew her close. Sam didn't resist. She hiccupped and then giggled.

"C'mere, blue eyes?"

She looked warily up into his gaze. "Ya gonna kiss me?" Sam slurred.

"Yeah sure yabetcha." He grinned, thinking she was so cute, snookered.

"About time." Sam nuzzled his chin and tipped her face toward his. The moment their lips brushed, Jack felt the delicious heat shot to his groin. Oh, yeah, he wanted to do a lot more than taste her apple-laced lips. He wanted to-

"Hey!" Sam yelped as three women yanked Sam from Jack's embrace.

"Wha'sup?" Jack growled, looking at Tealc and Daniel who were grinning too much for his comfort.

"According to Jaffa tradition," Tealc slurred, "When a single man and single woman who have slept beneath the 'Tree of One' kiss in public, it is their final declaration of love for each other."

"So?" Sam yelled as she fought to stay rooted beside Jack, who tried to keep her with him.

"So now you've got to get married." Daniel chuckled juggling two apples.

"Daniel!" Jack turned and glared. He wasn't as happy about this bombshell as he'd thought he'd be. He glanced at Sam's shocked expression and frowned.

"Hey, hey, don't ask, don't tell." Daniel snorted as he lifted the cup to his lips and downed another loaded apple wine cooler.

"Jack!" Sam yelped as she was tugged out of his grasp and hauled off by the women.

"Hang in there, Sam, honey, I'll figure some way out of this, really."

"No!" she called back smiling.

"What?" He was trying to chase her but six Jaffa, including Tealc blocked his path.

"I want to marry you here!" she yelled back.

"For sure?"

"Yes!"

"Sweet!" Jack shook off his friend's restraints and turned to the smirking conspirators. "Now what?"

"Follow me, O'Neill." T turned and swayed through the parting path of spectators.

"I'll try." Jack smirked and realized he couldn't mimic the Jaffa's drunken swagger as his own feet refused to obey. "Left, right, left, left...whoops!" Jack kissed grass! ~*~

CHAPTER FIVE 'The bells are ringing for me and my gal . . .Oy!'

~*~

Jack hadn't seen Sam in over an hour, which gave him reason to drink, but didn't. His head was still tripping from the few mugs of that wicked apple brew. He imagined that Sam, who rarely drank, wasn't feeling any pain either. Which made him worry. What if she'd gotten cold feet? What if this was just one big fantasy gone amuck? Hey, maybe Hathor got thawed and had them playing head games again? Or worse, it was real and Sam had hightailed it through the Stargate. And maybe he should do the same? Yeah, it wasn't too far away, five clicks at most. If he left now-

"Jack?"

"Daniel?"

"We're ready."

"Oh." Jack glanced up from where he sat beneath the 'Tree of One,' wondering if now was a good time to pray.

"Teal'c assumes you and Sam want a Christian wedding?"

"Does it matter?" Jack shrugged, pushed to his feet and stretched.

'Whoa! Mr. Irish Catholic is having second thoughts, eh?"

"No. I mean of course I want a Christian wedding, but Teal'c not Christian, nor are you?"

"Hey, I acknowledge there's a higher being, just not the way you do."

"That's my point." Jack admitted how important his faith was. "I'd rather Sam and I exchange our own vows. We wrote them up last year. Trouble is I don't remember-"

Daniel grinned, reached into his pocket and extracted a folded printed sheet.

"Daniel?"

"Jack."

"Enough wilya!" He snatched the paper away and made a face. "How'd you?"

"For a computer geek, you really need to secure your documents folder."

"You hacked my home pc!" His mouth hung ajar.

"Teal'c did!" Daniel put up his hands in defense.

"Crap!" Jack snapped the sheet of paper and glanced at the familiar words.

"Okay, now I'm puzzled." Daniel removed his glasses and pinched his nostrils.

"Daniel, this entire plan is too planned. Sam's going to know I rigged it."

"Jack?"

"What?" He wadded up the paper and tossed it, stalking away.

"Sam knows everything."

"Eh?" he turned and stared back.

"Like she's brilliant, remember?"

"Sam said she knows?" Jack walked, well more like swaggered back to Daniel. He had a definite buzz going on.

"Um, well not in so many words, but a few things slipped out since we got here."

"Such as?"

"Hugging me and Teal'c. Telling us we're lousy matchmakers, even worse wedding planners, but she still loves us."

"Oh, well then, I guess . . ." He rubbed the back of his neck and winced.

Daniel retrieved the paper and smoothed it out. "Let's get this show on the road then, huh?"

Jack nodded, then glanced around. "This place is lit up like the White House Christmas Tree."

"Worried about Apophis?"

"Aren't you?"

"Well the locals feel pretty secure. Apparently Heru'ur, Yu and Nirrti are keeping Apophis busy."

"Cool. There should be cake." Jack flinched as they headed up a hill toward what he assumed was their garden party. Wish he felt as comfortable as Daniel. A defined tingle spiraled the length of his spine. His gut ached. "Did it ever occur to anyone that any number of Goa'uld beside Apophis could take advantage of his absence and crash this party? Take Heru'ur for instance. And did I mention I don't trust Rival, who by the way I haven't seen in awhile."

"It's pronounced Re'vil, Jack, and he's around," his voice lilted an octave, a give away to Jack.

"Daniel?" Jack caught up with him and stared him down in the twin moonlight.

"Hey, we just misplaced the guy. Teal'c's on top of it."

"For crying out loud! How do you misplace a former First Prime?"

"First off, he's a vital part of the Jaffa movement. And he's probably somewhere sleeping off that loaded apple juice. Man, if there's an Achilles' heel for the Jaffa that stuff is it."

"I'm so not buying this and neither will Carter." Jack's hands talked. He had second thoughts about the wedding, about everything. Like finding Rival and making sure he really was sleeping off a hangover.

"Chill, Jack. Sure, anyone could crash your wedding, but the likelihood is slim to none. It's never going to happen." Daniel started hiking uphill.

"Never ever, say never, Daniel." Jack shook his head and followed. His Irish gut still nagged him. Something was wrong. Furthermore, he wished he and Sam weren't getting married, at least not with this clan of Jaffa rebels who didn't know them from Adam. What he wouldn't give to privately exchange vows before God, in the sanctuary of a glen or meadow beneath the stars of heaven.

They hiked in silence. Jack's knees screamed stop!

"Quit muttering," Daniel lectured glancing back.

"I can't wait to hear you in another fifteen years," Jack muttered, thankful this wasn't Abydos, with heat and sand. Actually, the night air was pleasantly cool and he'd yet to break into a sweat. Bad knees aside, his weekly boxing matches with Teal'c kept him in shape.

"We're here."

"Cool!" Jack halted and caught his breath, then looked around. They stood at the top of an open meadow, surrounded by trees, beneath a canopy of Chulak's twin moons and the stars. It was incredible. "Hey, where is everyone?"

"You and Samantha Carter requested a private ceremony, O'Neill." Tealc stepped clear of the shadows. Tealc didn't appear drunk as he led Jack and Daniel toward the center of the field where two tall torches blazed softly, between them a raised unlit brazier.

"Sure, but I didn't think you guys would make it happen."

"Hey that's what friends are for, old buddy." Daniel laughed.

Jack wanted to say something profound but failed. "I'm not much of a talker . . .ya both know . . .well . . .you're like-" He winced.

"Brothers, O'Neill." Teal'c finished with a smile.

"Yeah."

"We know." Daniel smiled.

Teal'c nodded.

"Yeah, so glad we got that straight." Jack patted Teal'c's face, only to be drawn into a bear hug and getting his upper back slammed hard. No doubt the apple wine mellowed the big guy.

Red faced, Jack turned to Daniel prepared for the same uncomfortable man hug.

"Spare me." Daniel chided and took a cautious step back.

"Not a problem." He grunted relief, but their joint expressions belayed their affections.

Somewhere in the background a flute type instrument played softly. The setting was beautiful. When they halted before the raised brazier, Teal'c instructed Jack, "In order for your marriage to be lawful on Chulak, you and Major Carter must exchange the matrimony pledge of Chulak and there must be witnesses, O'Neill."

"No problem. I'm glad you guys are here. So where's my beautiful blushing, bride?"

Daniel elbowed him and pointed to a band of trees on their right. The music reached a crescendo as two women escorted another woman dressed in a pale blue, Chulak wedding gown. Jack squinted into the moonlight. He knew that tall lissome figure. Sam. As she approached, the women left her side and walked slowly back into the woods.

Teal'c and Daniel came along Sam and escorted her arm in arm the rest of the way. Despite the cool air, Jack was shaking and perspiring. This was for real. He and Sam were getting hitched! His anxious gaze fixated on Sam's smiling blue eyes, the rest of her face concealed by a sheer half veil.

Halting before Jack, Daniel stepped aside. Teal'c took Sam's right hand and pressed it firmly but gently into Jack's. As Jack's hand closed around hers, Sam looked up at him. Flowers were intertwined through her short blonde hair. Her soft mouth trembled and her eyes glistened.

"You sure about this, Dorothy?" He had to know.

"Oh, yeah, Scarecrow. And you?" She tipped her head slightly, her eyes searching his earnestly.

"It's the only way home for me." He squeezed her hand and drew her close.

"Me too." Sam pressed back.

A moment passed before they looked at Tealc and Daniel who were grinning like two kids.

Tealc finally addressed them with a serious tone, "Please separate hands and stand on either side of the brazier."

However reluctant he and Sam obeyed the Jaffa. Reaching up, Teal'c took one of the torches and ignited the brazier.

"Here me. Let this fire bear witness to this ceremony. May its flames keep warm the souls of those who came before us. We ask those spirits now to bless this union and to protect it through each day of its existence." His voice lifted, "And then the horn will sound."

Someone blew two notes on a ram's horn.

He turns to Jack. "You, Jack O'Neill will place the circle of fidelity upon Samantha's Carter's head."

Daniel handed Jack a circlet woven from leaves.

Smiling, Jack stepped forward and gently set the circlet on Sam's head.

Turning to Sam, Teal'c said, "And you, Samantha Carter, place the totem of bravery around Jack's neck." He raised a medallion on a silver chain to his mouth and kissed it before handing it to her.

She smiled lovingly at Jack and slipped the medallion over his neck. Jack grinned back.

"Now the bride will kneel before her husband in honor and respect."

Sam flinched and frowned.

"Oy!" Jack made eye contact with Teal'c.

Daniel groaned.

"Forgive me." Teal'c apologized.

"No." Sam sighed out. "I can do this because I do honor and respect my husband." Sam lowered to her knees before Jack.

"And I honor and respect my wife." Jack dropped to knees that creaked in protest.

"Whatcha know." Daniel crowed.

Teal'c smiled at the kneeling couple holding hands. "Do you, Jonathan J. O'Neill, intend to bond as one heart, one mind, and one body for life with Samantha Jean Carter forsaking all others?"

"I do."

Teal'c then addressed Sam, "And do you, Samantha Jean Carter, intend to bond as one heart, one mind, and one body for life with Jonathan J. O'Neill forsaking all others?"

"I do." Sam smiled at Jack.

"Then I ask that together you pledge your troth before The Keeper of the Stars and then seal that troth by the joining of your chosen hearts and bodies as one this same night."

"Yeah sure yabetcha." Jack's ragged voice cracked as he gazed into Sam's smiling blue eyes.

Daniel and Tealc walked into the woods and out of sight. The lute music softened dancing on the wind and trees, surrounding and embracing them.

"Thought we needed witnesses?" He glanced around as he escorted Sam to her feet and into his arms.

"We do, but the trees have eyes," Sam replied softly her voice quivering a bit.

"Well then, one down one more to go." He faced her.

"Yeah. The one that counts," she sighed out.

"You mean that?"

"Oh yeah." Sam took his other hand and laid it over hers. "My faith is not as strong as yours, Jack O'Neill, but I know there's more to this universe than atoms and molecules. These past four years a supreme being far greater than the Ancients has allowed us the privilege to see and experience the majesty and mystery of His creation. If someone who's never seen any of this can believe in an almighty and loving God than I'd be a fool not to."

"And I believe the Keeper of the Stars chose to join our hearts long before time, Samantha Jean Carter." He gazed into her liquid blue eyes.

"Correction. Mrs. Jonathon J. O'Neill." Sam's fingers brushed his unruly salt and pepper hair.

"Whoa!"

"So about those vows?"

"Oh, sure." Jack cleared his throat and dug in his pocket, finding the ring, but not the paper. "Dang, I mean, I lost it."

"Then let's go to plan B."

"There's a plan B?" Jack gulped. Was that squeaking voice his?

"Yes." Sam laughed softly through her veil. "We'll wing it like normal, Sir." When she looked into his eyes, Jack felt his world spin out of control and loved it.

"Yeah, that's something we do well together, right, Carter?"

"Yeah sure yabetcha?"

"I'll start." Jack clasped her hands firmer.

"Yes, Sir." Sam chided with a loving grin.

"Love is patient; love is kind and envies no one. Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offense . . . "

"There is nothing love cannot face; there is no limit to its faith, its hope, and endurance . . ."

"In a word, there are three things that last forever: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of them all is love," they finished in unison.

Jack took out her ring.

"Wait." Sam held up a silver-like alloy wedding band.

His eyes rounded. "Where did you-?"

"Teal'c made it for you."

"Who'da thunk?" Jack grinned, then cleared his throat. Grasping her trembling left hand, he eased the ring onto her finger-.

"Samantha, I give you this ring, wear it with love and joy. I choose you to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward for better or for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish as long as we both shall live. And hereto, I pledge you my faithfulness to show to you the same kind of love as Christ showed the Church when He died for her, and to love you as a part of myself because in His sight we shall be one."

Sam's blue eyes glistened with tears as she eased the wedding band onto his finger. "Jack, I give you this ring, wear it with love and joy. I choose you to be my husband: to have and to hold, from this day forward. For better, for worse, for richer for poorer; in sickness and in health; to have and to cherish, as long as we both shall live. And hereto, I pledge you my faithfulness to show to you the same kind of love as Christ showed the Church when He died for her, and to love you as a part of myself because in His sight we shall be one."

~*~

Smiling down at her, Jack released her veil and cradling her face in his calloused hands, he kissed his wife, softly and sweetly, as if she were a national treasure. Sam's heart fluttered at his tender kiss and strong, selfish hold. These hands and arms meant everything to her, these arms that held her when she was afraid or weary, these hands that caressed her in passion, shook her in anger, were no longer those of her CO, but of her husband's. Sam felt more than lucky, she felt blessed beyond measure.

For now, there were no concerns of military regulations or of the inevitable consequences of their actions. For now, they were two lovers joined as husband and wife. Sam melted into Jack's embrace, her fingers gripping the tight cords of his neck with an urgent need to join with him while their bodies began a dance as old as time.

Music not Jaffa origin, flitted among the trees and the breeze and tickled their senses. Jack stepped back and peered toward the trees.

"I don't believe those maniacs!" He dragged a hand through his hair and groaned.

"Jack?" Sam looked questioningly at him, wondering how in the world she was hearing country western music on Chulak.

Daniel walked clear of the wooded shadows making wild gestures at Jack like, 'do it!'

Shaking his head, Jack coughed into his hand, looked at the heavens and nodded. "Guess it's time we give thanks, Sam."

He engaged her amused, confused expression. Jack intended to sing to her! Tears stung the lids of her eyes. She'd sworn she wouldn't cry. Knew Jack hated when she cried. But yep, she was crying.

Confidently, he lead her to dance with him on the meadow floor, and then for her ears alone sang, "It was no accident me finding you . . .

Someone had a hand in it Long before we ever knew Now I just can't believe you're in my life Heaven's smilin' down on me As I look at you tonight.

I tip my hat to the Keeper of the Stars He sure knew what He was doin' When He joined these two hearts I hold everything When I hold you in my arms I've got all I'll ever need Thanks to the Keeper of the Stars.

Soft moonlight on your face oh how you shine It takes my breath away Just to look into your eyes I know I don't deserve a treasure like you There really are no words To show my gratitude.

So I tip my hat to the Keeper of the Stars He sure knew what He was doin' When He joined these two hearts I hold everything When I hold you in my arms I've got all I'll ever need Thanks to the Keeper of the Stars.

It was no accident me finding you. Someone had a hand in it Long before we ever knew . . .'

"I love you Samantha O'Neill."

"Oh, Jack!" Sam launched herself at him and with all the passion she'd been withholding for years, she kissed her husband stupid! ~*~

CHAPTER SIX 'Another freaking B Movie: I married a Snakehead!'

~*~

A Chulak Wedding Reception:

"When we get married back on earth-"

"You want to do this again, Sir?" Sam gave him a pensive look.

"So you don't want the bridal shower, bridesmaid, bridal bouquet, mini-bride-"

She cut him off with a mouth-watering kiss followed by, "Um, want it all, including you being retired for real, Colonel Jack O'Neill."

"Oh!" He gulped, although he'd suspected she'd long concluded his present civilian status was temporary.

"Meanwhile, I'll settle for what we have here and now, which is more beautiful than I ever dreamed." Her fingers were so not behaving; then again, neither did his.

"Should be cake," Jack insisted between breathless kisses and bold caresses, "A really, really, big double chocolate cake with-" He stretched out one arm as the other was occupied.

"White butter cream frosting." Sam leaned in closer to his underhanded caresses and gasped.

"Yeah sure yabetcha, Mrs. O'Neill." Beneath the banquet table that conveniently concealed their amorous foreplay Jack scorched a hot pathway along her silky thighs. He glanced about to find not a soul looking at them. Obviously they were all drunk or polite.

"Umm," Sam's warm sweet breath hitched as his hand approached his goal. "Let's go!" she insisted against his lips while her fingers did an erotic dance across his six pack.

"Sweet!" Jack bounced to his feet and then helped Sam to hers. She weaved in his arms. He grinned. They'd consumed more than their share of the loaded apple cider, but Jack had refrained the last hour. Maybe it was his skeptical nature, but things were going too well. Someone in the SG-1 wedding party had to be sober, even if he was retired. He glanced over to find Teal'c juggling apples and plums while balancing an eating utensil on his nose. Meanwhile Daniel chimed a knife against partial filled glasses to the tune of Jingle Bells.

Jack was used to Daniel's drunken antics but a first-time inebriated Teal'c was priceless. Jack wished he could get Daniel's digital camera but the linguist refused to give it up, swearing he filled the media card when he'd take the last pictures of their nuptials. Jack so didn't believe him. The packrat always carried extra cards for his off world digs.

"Be polite." Sam swiveled in his arms and waved at the wedding gathering.

"Geez, Sam." He reluctantly flapped a hand. Before she could protest, he swooped his bride into his arms and steered unsteadily toward the tent that was courteously set a distance from the rest. Applause broke out behind them.

"Why. this is a first, Colonel, you usually just toss me over your shoulder."

"Don't think I wasn't tempted, hussy," Jack growled in her ear as his knees protested. Feeling Sam's breasts pressed against him Jack concentrated on one thing, making love to his wife.

Finally.

At last.

Three feet from his goal, a familiar sound caught them off guard. Two seconds later they were inside a transport ring being beamed up!

"What the-!" Jack blinked.

Sam clung tight.

When the rings collapsed. They found themselves aboard a Goa'uld mother ship.

"Welcome newlyweds!"

~*~

Jack eased Sam to her feet alongside him. They went into military mode. Both weaponless, she cursed her stupidity and Jack's. Love truly was blind!

Looking up they met their abductor. Heru'ur!

"Well, there goes the neighborhood," Jack groused.

"Kree!" their host instructed his Horus guards who shoved them closer to the throne.

"Hey, hey," Jack raised a finger of reprove. "It's not nice to interrupt the honeymoon, Herpes. The bride here gets bitchy with a capitol B. And this groom gets nothing, which really ticks him off . . . a lot!"

Heru'ur laughed crudely.

"Colonel," Sam warned nudging him.

"Bow before your god!" The system lord's guards slammed them behind the knees with their staff weapons.

Sam dropped.

Jack buckled slightly but stayed on his feet. "God? What god? You see God, Carter?" He scrunched his face, looked around and shrugged. I just see another bad Elvis impersonator-." He pointed at the Goa'uld's gold jumpsuit and cape.

"Kree! Silence, you dog!"

A firmer painful impact sent Jack sprawling.

Used to Jack's irreverent antics Sam grimaced as pain shot through her husband's handsome features. Would he ever learn to shut up? She hoped not. His Irish tongue kept her hopeful they'd get out of this mess. However, seeing Jack's tight butt Sam got sidetracked from their perilous situation. She wanted to jump Jack's bones! Holy Hannah! How sick!

A guard yanked Jack upright beside Sam. She held Jack's dark brown gaze. "You okay?"

"Oh, yeah, forever okay." His left dimple slashed deep as he gave his O'Neill charm school smile.

Sam nodded. Yeah no matter what, they'd be forever okay.

"Look at these fools!" Heru'ur stood and gloated. "The greatest weakness you Tau'ri possess is your undisciplined emotion of love. Once again it has handed you over to me."

"Um, it's not over until its over, Herpes, so don't count on early retirement bennies."

"You amuse me, O'Neill," Heru'ur sneered.

"Anytime, chrome dome. Say, you use hair depilatory lotion or's that dull, glossy, look natural? Coz, I got this chrome wax that'll make your head shine like-"

"Kree!" the system lord commanded.

Sam met Jack's sarcastic grin. Each stiffened for the next blow he'd take.

The guard raised his pain stick, but Heru'ur set his attention on Sam. She stared him defiantly head on, recalling their last encounter when Jack had flung a knife into his hand device penetrating Heru'ur's force shield. The handsome system lord had not been a happy camper.

"I myself am in need of a new host for my mate." Heru'ur smiled at her with intent.

"Then might I suggest one of those fat grazing hogs on Chulak? The four legged kind." She couldn't believe she'd said that.

Her husband smirked. Yep, she had. Married less than three hours and she sounded like him. Go figure. She waited for the painful blow that didn't come.

"I appreciate your fire, Major Carter. I have desired you since we first met." Heru'ur leaned over and caressed Sam's cheek with the back of his jeweled hand. She shuddered and pulled away.

"Nah ah! Do not touch my merchandise. I'm Carter's sole lust buster. She's all ready spoken for!" Jack injected hotly.

"Merchandise! Lust buster!" Sam fumed sending Jack her 'you're so dead' look.

"Well, I'm just saying." He winced. "Ow."

"I care not whether you have mated with her. In fact, you can have her tonight. Tomorrow she'll be mine forever and you will become my First Prime. Together we will defeat Apophis!"

"Excuse me?" Jack lifted a digit. "Me? First Prime? Nope, don't think so. I'm all for whumping Apophis just not with your smarmy ass calling the shots-!" A Horus guard jammed the Pain Stick to his spine. Jack cried out and slumped over.

Cursing Heru'ur, Sam pulled Jack to his knees and held him up.

The Goa'uld stepped over and snared Sam's chin, forcing her face up to his, his breath fanning her. "Your undying devotion is admirable. I have longed to take my revenge against this warrior who killed my father Ra and most recently my beloved mother Hathor. Taking that which he covets most will be my retribution."

Sam sniffed the air and made a face. "Apparently you inherited your mother's stinking breath too."

"Ya tell'm, Carter," Jack rasped as he lifted his head slowly.

"Silence!" Heru'ur dragged Sam from Jack's weak hold.

Jack launched himself at the system lord, but Heru'ur raised his hand device and Jack was shot against the hull's interior wall. His head slamming into the solid surface, Jack slid down the wall unconscious.

"Sir!" Sam broke free but two guards seized her and dragged her back to Heru'ur.

Heru'ur's blazing eyes devoured the sheer gown that clung to her body as he reached out and pawed her breasts, then down over her stomach. Sam shuddered at his disgusting touch, willing Jack to wake up. Instead, when she glanced back to saw his limp form being dragged off by the guards.

"You have blended before!" Heru'ur eyes glowed bright as he sensed the Naquadah in Sam's blood.

"Yes." Sam turned her head and thought fast. He'd have no idea if the symbiote had been Tokra or Goa?uld. Recalling what Martouf/Lantash had told her, she knew that could be her advantage.

"What happened?"

"Didn't like the Colonel's expired salsa, so it moved out."

Although confused by her remark, he half smiled. "This attribute will make the blending faster and you will no doubt live longer than the others. You have two choices, my Beloved. One you can resist. But if you do, I will hand your mate over to Apophis as a bargaining tool. Apophis will then proceed to torture, kill him and revive him, as many times as necessary to obtain the information he desires. Or secondly, you agree to become my mate and I will spare him and make him First Prime. In other words you will both live."

"He's not Jaffa and will never submit to being your First Prime just because you put a symbiote inside him."

"Oh, but he will. Nirrti developed a new mind control potion that once consumed will make any Tau'ri my puppet. I will use it on you if necessary."

Sam cringed. "How can I be a host to a mature Goa'uld and be under your control?"

"Simple. The potion can control a mature Goa'uld and its host too. My mate Belju tends to be strong willed and I have benefited by giving her daily dosages. Unfortunately, it's addictive to the host, which is why I have to find her a new one."

"Well, we'd rather die than become hosts to you slimy snakes!" Sam spat back.

"Then so be it," he ordered the two guards, "Deliver him to Apophis!"

"No! Wait!" Sam caved in, hoping it would at least give them time. "I will agree, but only . . ."

~*~

Someone was shaking him. Jack slapped at the intrusive hand and rolled over.

"Jack?"

"Huh?" He opened his bloodshot eyes and focused on the anxious blue gaze staring down at him.

"Sam?" He scooted up to find himself in bed with his wife. He swore they'd been captured and-

"You had me worried." She touched his arm, the heat of her hand flashing erotic images in his mind's eye.

"How long?"

"Almost an hour."

"Um, lipped off again, huh?"

She agreed and brushed a finger along his bruised jaw.

He tasted blood. Jack grazed the swelling knot on the back of his head and winced. His throat hurt and the area around his brainstem was tender and sore. In fact his entire neck felt like it'd been in a vice lock. He got walloped. Warped images and voices flashed through his head as if someone else's.

"One of these days your O'Neill charm is going to be the death of you, Sir."

'Um, well," Jack mustered a smile. "I'm here. You're here." He drew her into his arms and nuzzled her neck, his fingers combing her silky hair.

"Sure are." She clung to him, trembling.

The sight and smell of Sam excited Jack. Here they were facing death with another snarky Goa'uld and he was at full attention. There had to have been more in that apple wine than fermented apples.

"Sam, about that merchandise and lust buster remark. I didn't mean it." He caressed her waist through the airy fabric and then looked into her intrepid eyes.

"Oh, yes you did." She tweaked his stubble cheek.

"I did?" He met her laughing smile.

"Which means you're my merchandise too, Scarecrow."

"Oh," he mouthed. "Well, just checking, Dorothy."

"Thought so." She leaned into him, her fingers worrying a button of his tunic until it popped open and her fingers began an erotic dance across his chest.

"Oy! Um, shouldn't we be trying to get out of Dodge?" Jack made a quick assessment of their jailed quarters. It was a-typical for a Goa'uld mother ship but much better accommodations than the last time.

"I already checked it out. We're not going anywhere unless Teal'c and Daniel have a plan." Sam kissed him.

"Well then, Mrs. O'Neill," he waggled his brows, "times a wasting."

"Yes, Sir." Sam aggressively shoved him onto his back, straddled him and pulled her gown over her pretty blonde head.

Jack's mouth slackened. The view from down under was breathless!

~*~

At the helm of the Tel?tac, a concerned Daniel watched Teal'c will himself into sobriety. Not an easy task considering the apple wine was the one alcoholic beverage his symbiote favored.

Fortunately, Daniel wasn't as drunk as he'd appeared at the wedding reception. He'd figured someone should be sober in case something went wrong. He'd noticed Jack had also cut back, but that wasn't his main concern now. First off, Jack had been right, someone crashed his wedding. Secondly, Re'vil's disappearance was no doubt connected with Jack and Sam's abduction. Yep, no birthday present from Jack . . . again.

Thirdly, Daniel had added the local aphrodisiac to Jack and Sam's apple wine pitcher only to later learn the couple's pitcher was already laced. It meant no matter what kind of danger Jack and Sam were in, they were too horny to care.

"Please tell me there's a silver lining at the end of this big black cloud?" Daniel groused and settled in the copilot chair beside Teal'c.

"I cannot." Teal'c moaned, holding his pouch and steering with one hand.

"Like how much of that love potion can a person tolerate and how long does the affect last?"

"It affects each person differently. Considering they never consumed the Passion Root before and indigested an extensive amount," Teal'c leveled a disapproving eye at Daniel who flinched. "It could last another six hours or it could render them in a state of deep sleep in which they imagine they are making love, but are not-"

"Which means?" Daniel urged Teal'c with his hands.

"When they awaken they will remember very little of their marriage union, that is, if it indeed occurred."

"Huh?"

"Over indulgence of the Passion Root can also have the opposite affect on the male rendering him impotent and the female unreceptive."

"For how long?" Daniel gulped, envisioning an irate Jack O'Neill pinning a strangle hold around his neck. Ow!

"A few hours." Teal'c burped and moaned. "But knowing O'Neill and Major Carter that last physical incapacity is highly unlikely to happen."

"Do you realize how screwed we are!" Daniel ranted while Teal'c made a sloppy maneuver as the ship left Chulak's orbit and slammed Daniel back in his seat.

"Daniel Jackson, I believe it is Colonel O'Neill and Samantha who are no doubt experiencing that Tau'ri term, screwed." He belched.

Daniel rolled his eyes. "Yeah, that's sucks! Coz if they've got sex on the brain, they aren't thinking about getting out of Dodge anytime soon."

Teal'c raised a brow. "This Dodge you speak of, is that the name of Heru'ur new ship?"

"Probably in Jack slang-Eh!" Daniel lurched forward as Teal'c rolled the ship ninety-degrees. "Watch where you're driving!"

"I suggest you steer, Daniel Jackson." Teal'c looked green around the gills.

"Hey, last time I drove I almost got us killed."

"Then you will acquire knowledge." Teal'c was on his unsteady feet and then bouncing off the ship's hull.

Daniel grappled with the red and blue globe that steered the Tel?tac. Behind him, the Jaffa lost his supper. Twice! As the horrible stench permeated the air and invaded Daniel's nostrils, he gagged and held his breath.

Crap!

He hated when that happened.

~*~

Sam stirred, nestling her cheek against the warm bare chest of her lover and husband. Toying with his chest hairs, she inhaled the lingering fragrance of their lovemaking that branded the tangled bedding. The familiar earthy scent of Jack O'Neill caused her to ache with want of him again. Jack's lean muscled body was still swathed possessively around her, including his long muscular legs. Pleasurable sensations bombarded her. Nothing could have prepared her for their joining! It had been beautiful, spiritual, passionate, lust driven and-she raked her aching head, forgettable. Huh?

Sam opened her aching eyes. She couldn't remember anything past clothes being ripped off, heavy petting, Jack pressing her into the layers of quilting, his hungry mouth on hers and then-Nothing!

Okay, Samantha O'Neill, don't get your knickers in a wad. There's an explanation for the memory loss of the most important event of your personal life. She raised her head. Man, it hurt! She lowered her pulsing skull to find her husband snoring. The gorgeous sight of him shoved the other concern aside. She attempted to ease away, but Jack's left arm was snaked about her and she wasn't going anywhere without him wakening up. Settling in, she looked up at his satisfied expression and disheveled salt and peppered hair that her fingers slicked back into place.

Sam smiled with a contentment only felt when Jack held her or looked at her not as her CO but as her lover. When he didn't awaken, she trailed a fingernail across his relaxed features. Her touch tingled from the roughness of his blue shadowed jaw. Even when freshly shaven the beard remained prominent beneath his tan, which only heightened Sam's attraction to his masculinity. Habitably, her fingers glided over the slight cleft of his jaw, to his dimples and the scar on his left eyebrow.

Her feathery touch caused Jack to tighten his embrace. Sam sighed defeat. Getting out the clutches of this former black ops specialist was near upon impossible. And she didn't mind. Right now there was no tension furrow between his dark brows. No crowfeet at the borders of his coffee colored eyes. Like all the times they'd fallen asleep together, Sam relished seeing Jack this way. Defined dimples on either side of his kissable mouth, he looked childlike. The mischievous boy just beneath the surface of his gruff, sarcastic CO persona beckoned her. And this boy was hers hook, line and sinker. They were so going fishing! Sam nibbled her lower lip. Yeah, right! 'Why the sudden negative thought?' Her foggy mind reached, stretched, tried to recall-

Then it bit her in the assets! They were prisoners of Heru'ur! In a bedchamber equipped with all the niceties of a Goa'uld mother ship. Sam looked frantically about and spotted what she assumed to be a camera positioned above the circular bed. How could they have missed that? Love and lust no doubt! Shame sluiced over Sam as she realized Heru'ur probably got off watching them. She couldn't believe they'd fallen asleep let alone made love as his prisoners. Man oh man, were they screwed!

~*~

"Jack!" Sam shook him hard.

"Umm." He cuddled closer, nibbling her shoulder blade. "Hey, give this old soldier a break. Three times is 'bout all I can-"

"Three!" Sam slugged him.

Jack lifted his throbbing head, pried open his drug-laced eyes and stared at Sam, his wife. "Hey, Babe," he rasped. 'Musta been some night.' He squinted into her startled blue eyes. "Wh-at? You so weren't complaining a few hours ago."

Sam eased free and holding the sheet to her cleavage, stared at him. She looked confused, angry and unhinged. So not his Sam, let alone major.

'Now what'd ya do, Jack?'

"Colonel, Sir?" she stated loudly, indicating their surroundings.

"Ah, c'mon, Dorothy, let it go, wilya? I resigned. We're married. Hitched. Husband and wife. Homer and Marge." He shoved up on an elbow yawned, and glanced around before it registered. "And this is no Jaffa wedding tent!"

"No." She did her animated chin tuck and frown.

"Crap!"

"You can say that again." Sam wrapped the sheet securely around her and crawled off the bed, taking the covers with her.

Jack opened his mouth, shut it, and looked down. Oy! He was naked. Sam was naked. They weren't on Chulak let alone in Kansas. They were on a Tokra mother ship. Heru'ur's prisoners! His head pounding like a jackhammer, Jack rubbed his neck feeling the sore lump by his brainstem. He needed to pee. Wanted to puke. Couldn't believe he'd been making love instead of trying to escape!

"You look ill, Sir." Sam gestured, trying to stand straight, but failing as she caught hold of the bed and weaved.

"You're not too peachy looking yourself and stop with the sir thingy!" He sat up and swung his long legs off the bed, then grabbed his swimming head. Oh, yeah, a big, nasty hangover.

Glancing at his unabashed nakedness Sam stared back at the floor. Jack sighed. This sucked! Honeymoon or not, their personal relationship just got shoved back into the 'room'. Major Samantha Carter was back. Apparently so was Colonel Jack O'Neill.

Jack picked up his Tokra breeches, tugged them on and searched for his tunic, which he found missing two buttons and the Velcro barely attached. The musky scent of their lovemaking perfumed the air and amidst it vanilla and cinnamon. Sam. They'd obviously had a wild ride or rides. Jack dragged a hand over his face into his hair and snuffed a breath. Geez, wish he could remember more than that they'd made loved three times and even that memory could be his ego talking. Meanwhile, Sam found her wedding gown and setting her back to him slipped it over her slender form. Jack starred at his wife and swallowed. Did she know how beautiful she was and how just her smile made him want her? Jack closed his eyes and tried not to think about the pleasant heat stirring due south.

"I have to um," she gestured to what appeared to be a fully equipped, but door-less bathroom.

"Fine. Don't flush, I gotta pee." He'd never gotten over the water shortage restrictions of the seventies.

"Sure, but I'm taking a shower-alone."

Jack considered joining her, but didn't cater to being caught butt-naked and drenched by the Goa'uld. Besides she did say alone. Dang! Thirty minutes later they were showered, hungry and still not talking.

Both were mad, not at each other, but that they'd screwed each other stupid instead of trying to escape. Married or not, to put their desires above self-preservation wasn't their nature. That apple juice had been loaded with a sexual stimulant all right. For some reason, Daniel came to mind. He so wasn't getting a birthday present this year! Again.

And if Jack had figured out the sex drug scenario, so had his genius Sam who busied herself examining the walls, floor, ceiling and sealed door for a means of escape. Some Goa'uld ships had an invisible force field separating the prisoners' hold from the rest of the ship, instead of a solid door. This quarter had everything controlled from the outside, even the lighting. Temporarily resigned to their imprisonment, Jack settled crossed legged on the unmade round bed watching Sam do her thing in that hot blue number. Meanwhile, her self-imposed silence drove him wacko. Even when giving each other space and the quiet treatment, they were so in-tune Jack was not surprised when he heard.

"It was an aphrodisiac, ya know."

"Do tell!" His hangover had impaired his vocabulary and made him rude to the woman he loved.

Sam's shoulders flinched but she didn't look at him, and continued running her hands across the door panel searching for some secret lock to unlock, he assumed.

"Sorry," he said kinder, lifting his wedding band to see if his finger had turned green. It hadn't. Cool beans. "Sam?"

"Sir?"

"Jack." He folded his arms and stared at her backside.

All business Carter turned and addressed him, "I think under the present circumstances we should maintain our military persona, Colonel, Sir."

Despite her logic, which he hated, Jack felt like arguing. He pointed to the camera over the bed. "Um military persona aside, Carter, we made a XXX rated movie last night." He could still taste and smell her, as she'd been branded to his skin.

She was not smiling.

"Secondly, I'm retired, Major, Ma'am." Two could play this game. "Hey, wonder if I can get my hands on that video." He wagged his brows.

"Don't be an ass!" Sam's jaw tightened.

"Excuse me? According to one blue-eyed blonde, that's my best asset." He yawned. His stomach growled.

"As of last night, second."

"Whatcha know." His ego boosted, Jack grinned deep.

"Sir, aren't you going to get us out of here?" She launched herself at him, halting within his reach. Jack's eyes lowered to her breasts, his breasts. All his. The pleasant ache stirred his groin. Heck, it had never gone away. He wondered if it was the drug or him? 'Down Junior!'

"Sure, Major, soon as a horse comes through that door and feeds us. You know I don't whump well on an empty stomach. Considering it's the bridal suite, I expected a fruit basket or those delicious little chocolates on the pillow." He tucked his left dimple deeper and smirked, hoping for a smile.

Nada.

Jack took in her tensed fair features. Yep Carter-O'Neill was P.O. And something else he couldn't nail down. But would.

"This is all wrong, Sir! I don't feel like myself!" she screamed.

"You sure felt fine last night." He winked.

"Not funny!"

"Hey, can't blame me for trying, Babe."

"And don't call me Babe!"

That got Jack's goat. He swung his legs off the bed and met her halfway, his antsy hands directing traffic. "So you wanna play hardball, Carter? Wanna pretend we aren't married, didn't make love instead of trying to get off this freaking Goa'uld cruise ship like good little soldiers!"

"Yes, I'd rather none of this happened, Colonel O'Neill, Sir!" She motioned between them.

A direct slam! Speechless, Jack stared at Sam. Tears glistened in her eyes. She appeared to struggle internally. Did she regret marrying him? Double crap!

"Holy Hannah, Sir, you act as if we're on our honeymoon!" She hopelessly tossed her arms in the air.

This was so not his cool hand Carter. He reached out, snatched her slim waist drawing her to him and gazed assertively into her troubled features. His voice switched to the forceful tone that normally got her attention. "Samantha, like it or not this is our honeymoon. Now I admit the accommodations aren't up to my standard, but with a little paint, wallpaper, and a fireplace in that corner-"

"Heru'ur intends to turn us into mindless hosts!" She tugged free as if his touch was painful. "In fact last night, he-"

"He's not making hosts out of either of us!"

Sam's blue eyes flashed white.

"That is where you are wrong, Colonel O'Neill." a Goa'uld spoke through her lips.

"Ah, shit!"

~*~

"We are cloaked, right?" Daniel addressed the sober but cranky Jaffa at his side.

Teal'c merely lifted a brow and grunted. Two hours of Kelnorim and he was still a sour puss.

"Hey, just because you got snookered, doesn't mean you have to act like a hung-over Jack O'Neill." Daniel adjusted his glasses and peered out the helm's transom as they approached the mother ship.

"I regret my undignified behavior, Doctor Jackson."

"Forgiven," Daniel sighed, weighing the seriousness of their situation. Yep, it was serious all right. "I don't understand why Heru'ur just took Jack and Sam."

"You feel slighted by his choice?"

"I admit we both have bones to chew with that snake in the grass, but yeah, I guess so."

"Despite our own desires for revenge, Heru'ur knows that O'Neill has earned a respectful and feared repute among the Goa'uld system lords. There s a bounty on his head. If one were to hand him over to Apophis that Goa'uld would gain the favor of Apophis."

"True but," Daniel's wheels were turning. "Heru'ur is bent on destroying Apophis, not bunking with him. What if Heru'ur intends to use Jack and Sam against him?"

"In what manner?"

"No idea? Guess one of us will have to board his ship and find out, huh?"

"Indeed. Jacob/Selmak will not be pleased about losing his Tel?tac to a Goa'uld."

Daniel nodded and stared at the larger vessel. "Well, he'd be even more surprised if we didn't."

"I concur."

Daniel picked up the radio and cleared his throat. Six hours late reporting in, General Hammond had no idea the mess they'd gotten themselves into . . .again.

"Do you think it wise to inform the SGC of our predicament, Daniel Jackson?"

"Nope, not wise. But if I don't make contact, Hammond will assume the worst and might contact the Tokra, which will involve Jacob and-."

"You position is well taken. What will you tell him?"

"The truth minus a few details."

"In other words, an O'Neill bull-and-cock story?"

"It's cock-and-bull, Teal'c."

"Indeed." ~*~

CHAPTER SEVEN 'A snake in the grass is worth one up the a-!'

~*~

Standing before Heru'ur and his mate Belju, Jack was still reeling from the fact he'd made love to a freaking snakehead! Gross! He wanted to hurl!

"You do not look well," Heru'ur mocked while he embraced Belju.

"Yeah, well the idea of 'humping' a snake isn't on my 'top ten, ta do' list."

"Oh, but it was indeed your Samantha with whom you spent the night. You are an excellent lover, Jack. However, your vulgar tongue injures the heart of your Tau'ri mate."

"Whatever!" Jack didn't believe anything a Goa'uld said, even if from Sam's mouth. His memory of Sam calling out to him when Jolinar possessed her remained vivid. "Look, the wedding night from hell aside, can we cut to the chase?"

"No." Heru'ur drew his mate into his arms and kissed her. Belju returned his kiss.

Jack tried to restrain his jealous rage. It's not Sam! It's not Sam! He peeled one eye open. Oy! It was Sam all right!

"Our guest doesn't appear amused, my Beloved," Belju sighed out from Sam's kiss-swollen lips and shimmering blue eyes.

"No, he does not, my queen." A smirk tugged Heru'ur's mouth. The beast made certain to run a jeweled finger along Sam's exposed cleavage. Jack flinched. At least she wasn't wearing the peak-a-blue-wedding gown, which would have been defiled by one touch of this snake's hand. No, she'd donned one of Bel'ju's artsy gaudy gowns that matched Herpes' jumpsuit.

His emotions not in check, Jack engaged his black ops training and mindset. His mouth ironed out and the fire in his eyes dimmed to apathy. And yet behind his steel countenance, he prayed for God to intervene. That Sam would be saved from the horrible fate Daniel's wife, Sha're had suffered and eventually died; being possessed by a Goa'uld.

"Sire!" Heru'ur's Second Prime entered and approached.

"Speak," the system lord demanded, still caressing his mate.

"We have locked onto an unmanned Tel?tac!"

"What do you mean unmanned?" Bel'ju spoke up.

"Exactly that, my lord and queen. We detect no life forms."

"Make certain it's not a trap and then seize it," Heru'ur ordered.

"Yes, my lord."

Teal'c! Daniel! Jack hoped they had incorporated the Trojan horse plan. This fueled his determination to get Sam back.

"Carter!" He stepped forward, not meeting resistance. "Listen up! I know you're in there somewhere." He shook his pointers at her. "This is an order! Get a freaking grip, so we can kick ass and check out of this dump!"

"Really, Colonel O'Neill." Belju snickered softly, "Nothing of the host remains, which means she cannot hear you. Even if she could, she is a weak, mindless Tau'ri bitch, whose only purpose is to provide the physical stimulation your human bodies give their gods."

"Oh, she heard me all right and calling her a weak, brainless B . . .Well, that's just dumb, Belchy. You just royally pissed off Major Samantha Carter!" Jack maintained visual contact with Sam, willing her to snap out of it. Hey, it'd once worked with Skaara.

Belju's eyes flashed and she teetered.

"Yes!" Jack urged. "Fight the worm, Carter."

Heru'ur caught his mate and held fast. "What is wrong, Beloved?" He shook her shoulders.

"The-Tau'ri's blend with Jolinar of Malkshur -is strong, my husband."

"You are stronger!" he insisted. "It will pass. You will overcome them!"

"Don't count on it, Herpes. They're tough gutsy females!"

"I am the stronger." Belju straightened and smiled with confidence.

"In a pig's eyes! Carter'll mop the floor with you!"

"Enough!" Heru'ur waved a hand of dismissal. "Bring me the potion and prepare this Tau'ri to receive my former First Prime's symbiote!"

'Former? Well that explains what happened to the happy traitor Rival.'

"Now see that could be a mistake." Jack's hands directed his words. "Me and snakes don't mix. The last one ended up with freezer burn as did mommy dearest, Hathor."

Two guards latched onto him.

Jack fastened his determined glint on Belju. "So help me, Carter, if I wakeup spouting Kree!" The Pain Stick was jammed between his shoulder blades. Jack screamed as the electric power surge shot through his skull and out his mouth, and then collapsed.

~*~

"He is courageous." Belju commented coolly. She left Heru'ur's embrace and then approached Jack's slack body.

"Indeed. He is ours." Heru'ur gloated. "And with all the knowledge he and his mate possess, they shall help us defeat Apophis."

Bending down, Belju grabbed Jack's hair, lifted his head and then dragged a fingertip along his whiskered jaw.

"You find him attractive?" Heru'ur settled on his throne behind her.

"Just as you find his mate to your liking."

"Indeed, I do. Once he is ours, you can indulge yourself with both of us, Beloved."

Belju turned and smiled at her mate. "I would like that, Beloved."

Two guards lifted Jack off the floor and placed him on a long low table. Belju proceeded to strap him down. Opening his tunic, she ran her fingertips down his chest and across the muscled taut six-pack of his stomach.

"Hathor made him Jaffa once before," she stated.

"Then he won't reject Re'vil's symbiote."

"No."

"Crunches," Jack murmured as her touch lingered on his abdomen.

The Goa'uld flinched. "I wish to perform the Primtah ritual."

"If it amuses you, my queen?"

"It does." Belju removed the jeweled amulet from her waist that would form the pouch for the symbiote and secured it over Jack's abdomen. She then took the cup of mind-altering potion from a slave and dismissed the girl. Two guards entered with a sealed glass urn containing the live symbiote, set the jar down and backed out bowing.

Blocking Heru'ur's view, the female Goa'uld leaned over her victim. "Look at me," she ordered quietly.

Jack didn't respond. The Goa'uld yanked his hair again and hissed, "Striker!"

Jack squinted. Sam winked and shoved a zat into his left hand that was not cinched tight and concealed it beneath his tunic's sleeve. Who else knew he was ambidextrous ?

Carter was back!

~*~

"T-?"

"DanielJackson?"

"About to freezzze off three vital parts ooof my ana-tomy-How long must we staay in this freezzzzer?"

"Until-"

A loud clank echoed when the guards left the ship.

"Now!" Teal'c opened the hatch, crawled out and then assisted a shivering Daniel out of the freezer compartment that was not meant for two grown men, let alone one huge Jaffa.

Daniel chaffed his arms and followed Teal'c to the ship's open hatchway where two guards stood inside.

"We will need their uniforms," Teal'c announced quietly.

"No duh!" Daniel rolled his eyes and zapped the guards before they could fire back. Teal'c had the honors of dragging the stunned men inside the ship.

"Well done, Daniel Jackson."

"Achew!" Daniel sniffed as he yanked off his BDU's. Oh, he was getting a cold all right. He hated when that happened.

~*~ SGC Briefing Room

General George Hammond gazed at the Stargate as the iris closed behind SG-8, which had just left on a mission. It had been nine hours since he'd received the first message from Digger Two. George did not feel confident. Doctor Jackson's message had too many holes even for the absent-minded linguist. Secondly, he'd failed to respond to Hammond's reply or the third message he'd sent over an hour ago.

All George knew was that hundreds of light years away SG-1's, CO and its 2IC had been captured by Heru'ur and Daniel and Teal'c were attempting to rescue them. Well, that was more news than he usually got when serious crap went down with his flagship team. But something in Daniel's voice didn't ring true. Not to mention he didn't mention Jacob's whereabouts in this rescue mission gone amuck.

"General?" Janet Fraiser stood in the doorway.

"Doctor." George tried to smile, but failed. "What can I do for you?"

"I was just wondering if you'd heard from SG-1?"

"Afraid not, Major."

Her attractive features taut with concern, Janet fidgeted with her lab coat, but her tone remained upbeat. "Well, knowing Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter, they will find a means of escape. They always do, Sir."

Trying to preserve his usual optimistic view, George smiled. "Or course they will, Doctor. But I would suggest we all do some serious praying."

"Of course, General." Janet nodded, jammed her hands into her coat pockets and walked away.

Releasing a heartfelt sigh, George closed his eyes and took his own advice.

He prayed. ~*~

CHAPTER EIGHT: 'Next time someone offers you drugs, just say, "No!"'

~*~

Jack feigned unconsciousness and hoped Sam knew what she was doing. Worse, he hoped it was Sam and not just another Goa'uld head game.

"My lord!" Second Prime returned whining.

"Speak!"

"The guards on the captured Tel'tac were overtaken. There are spies among us."

"Fools! All of you!"

"I'm sorry, my lord-"

"Belju?"

"I will be safe, Beloved."

Heru'ur's boot heels struck the floor as he departed the throne room. As Sam freed Jack, he was surprised to find they were alone. However, he refused to yank the Sold Sign off the front lawn. Sitting upright, he released the zat's safety and heaven help him, aimed at Sam.

"Who are you?" He stared hard into her blue eyes that for the moment looked so much like Sam's.

"Holy Hannah!" Her gaze locked onto the weapon pointed to her chest. "It's me, Sir!"

"Didn't get the memo." He yanked his tunic into place.

"Maybe if you cleaned your desk off, Sir."

"I have a desk?" He scratched his slackened jaw.

Sam/it gave the atypical Carter chin jut and tuck followed by shutting her eyes and sighing her frustration. They were at a standoff of the weirdest kind. Jack didn't buy this snakehead was Tokra let alone Sam was speaking freely.

"A blended Goa'uld has access to all of Carter's memories." He warily swung off the table, realizing she could use her hand device. The fact she hadn't, gave him pause.

"We haven't much time, Colonel. You must believe Belju is Tokra."

"That's where we agree to disagree. Coz, nothing you say will convince me I'm speaking to Carter."

"Yesterday you had to zat your Road Runner boxers and whined to Daniel about it."

"Carter!"

She took the mind-altering potion filled a vial, sealed it, and then dumped the rest into the container holding the agitated symbiote. "Your favorite color is peridot. You think Homer Simpson should be president. You get aroused whenever I tell you I'm wearing a certain little tank top number. Until last night, your main goal in life was to discover where a specific mole is on my body and-"

"Geez!" Jack scrubbed his face.

"You haven't caught a Bass in two years."

"Nah ah! One." He held up three fingers.

She glared.

"Fine. Two."

Reaching into the glass container, the said Tokra grabbed the young symbiote behind its spiny head. It's gills fanning out, the withering, pale creature squealed as if it knew what was coming.

"You eat Jell-O and ice cream with a fork." She dangled the symbiote at arm's length. "Fry it, Sir!"

"Drop it."

She did.

He fired midair.

With three blasts the snakehead disintegrated.

"Nice shot, Sir. Oh, and your favorite weapon is C4."

"Second favorite." He looked back at Sam/it who grinned at the puff that had almost been Jack's tenant. Her expression was so Sam.

"Now, I'm impressed! Well, almost. Since there are more of those where that thingy came from, why should I believe you're Tokra?" He snorted, watching the entranceway as they came alongside each other.

"Because," Sam's eyes glowed and her voice lowered, "I am, Belju mother of Jolinar of Malkshur."

"So?"

"Heru'ur does not know of my relationship with Jolinar."

"Big deal."

"We would all be dead if he knew."

"Only if it's true."

"It is."

"Well, not to get nitpicky here, but Carter knows everything you said. Now if you want to win me over, how about something impossible for her to know, that I know." That should end this insane exchanged. The Goa'uld or Tokra certainly weren't mind readers.

"You have shared your deepest secrets with Samantha."

"Ah, yeah, so?" Jack kept the zat at chest level. Well most of them.

"Still there is one recent event you have yet to confess. When you were caught in a time loop, you handed General Hammond your resignation in the control room, dipped, and then kissed Samantha Carter. She kissed you back. You have not informed her of this indiscretion for fear she would become angry with you."

Speechless, Jack's face twisted before his jaw dropped open.

She hurried to the throne, removed another zat and a sheathed knife from beneath the cushions, and then returned. "Shut your mouth, Homer . . .um, whoa! Sorry, Sir." Sam blushed, shoving the zat and the knife into his hands as a peace offering.

Yep, this was his Sam. But did she know what Belju just told him? He hoped not! He slipped one zat into his pant's waist beneath his tunic then glanced at the knife.

"It will penetrate Heru'ur's force shield."

"Right." He pocketed the blade. "Um, you'll need this." He offered Sam the zat back, hoping it was the right thing.

"A god would never be seen with that. Besides I have this." She raised her hand device.

"Gotcha."

"Relax, Jack, she does not know what I shared," Belju jumped in.

"Ah, okay. Appreciate it." He nodded masking discomfort and confusion.

"I am forever grateful that your mate gave sanctuary to my beloved daughter. I only regret the Ashrak took her life and yet remain thankful that Samantha was spared."

"Um, well, there's that. Now how about you find yourself another host to rent, coz I'm a one woman man and not into sharing my major let alone my wife." He waved a hand as if willing the creature out of Sam.

"For cryin' out loud, Colonel." She turned, lifted her long skirts and tramped toward the open hatchway. "We've got to find Daniel and Teal'c, save our assets and get the hell out of Dodge."

"Okay, that's freaky. Stop talking like me." His zat still pointed at her, Jack dragged a hand through his hair as he followed her into the corridor.

"Just trying to convince you, I'm me, Colonel, Sir."

"Convince me you aren't going to have that sna. . . um, Jolinar's mommy in permanent residence and I'll kiss you stupid, Carter."

"Were I Goa'uld, I would have wholly blended with Samantha. But as Tokra that is against my belief system," explained Belju, "we both share this body."

"And stop head hopping, I'm lightheaded listening to you-two."

"Maybe if you weren't attention deficit, Sir-"

The zat in one hand Jack yanked them between two corridor panels, and held his palm over Sam's/it's mouth as eight Horus guards marched by with staff weapons and entered Heru'ur's chamber.

Day j view! Hathor's ship last year!

Slowly, Jack lowered his hand, letting it slip across the firm swell of Sam's fast quaking chest, then under her ribs. Her left hand came up and gripped tight while she leaned into him. Jack's head reeled. He glanced down smelling the light fragrance of vanilla and cinnamon that was hers alone.

"You okay?" His tensed jaw grazed her hot cheek, his love for her ready to detonate.

"Forever," her whispered breath caressed his face. Her touch felt clammy, her body trembled. Control the missing factor here. Years of enduring mental and physical stress had disciplined the Carter he knew. This was wrong on so many levels.

The guards rolled out of the chamber splitting into teams. Two guards marched their way, halted, and then faced the partition that concealed them.

Jack and Sam held their breaths, two hearts beating as one.

The largest guard stepped forward and trained his staff weapon at the wall panel. Jack heard the distinct deadly swoosh of the flare as the guard released the weapon's safety.

"Kree!" a deep voice behind the mask ordered their surrender.

Dang! Jack glanced around. They were cornered. Two zats. Two staff weapons and-Sam/it tugged free of him. Jack rolled his eyes as she boldly walked out to face the armed guards.

"How dare you! Bow before your god!" She gestured with her hand device for them to obey.

"Sam?" the second guard's voice pitched behind his mask.

Daniel! Jack sighed respite.

"No," the first guard disputed, "she has been blended. She is now Goa'uld."

"Wrong, big fellow." His zat extended Jack strolled out behind Sam and cupped her shoulder reassuringly.

"O'Neill!" Teal'c lowered his helmet and righted his staff weapon. He looked at Sam and tipped his head, obviously torn between his keen Jaffa senses and Jack.

"I am, Belju of Malkshur."

"She's Tokra, kids."

"But she's Heru'ur's queen," Daniel pressed, yanking the large helm off his sweating head.

"I am. It has taken me years to gain Heru'ur's confidence. He is extremely suspicious and jealous. He drugged my host beyond my ability to heal her and-."

"Um, I'm all for learning the spicy details of Heru'ur's love life, but we got to get out of here. Pronto!" Jack ordered and hugging a wall, started down the opposite corridor.

"Pssst!" Daniel called at him.

"What?"

"Docking bay's this way." Daniel jerked a thumb.

"Eh?" Jack looked at Sam who had remained with Teal'c and Daniel.

She grinned and nodded.

"Oh!" He sheepishly backtracked while his CO mindset came full circle. "Teal'c, Daniel, you take point-."

"This will not do," Belju argued.

"Why?" Jack was annoyed.

"Heru'ur has all the main corridors manned."

"So?" Jack waved the zat with impatience.

"Teal'c and Daniel should escort us as guards in service to their queen and new First Prime."

"It would make sense, O'Neill." Teal'c agreed, slipping the Horus helmet over his massive baldhead while Daniel groused, sneezed, and took up the rear flank.

"Sounds like a plan." Lowering his zat Jack buttoned his tunic and fell into step beside Sam. "Let's go, campers."

~*~

CHAPTER NINE 'Momma said there'd be days like this . . .'

~*~

They had made it past four sets of guards and were almost to the docking bay. Jack had the O'Neill gut ache of the century. Tums anyone?

Something was wrong in Oz.

His plan already taking its inevitable course, he eased his zat along his spine behind his trousers. Glancing at Sam, he interlocked his hand with hers. Her small palm was slippery with sweat as her fingers tightened around his. Perspiration beaded her upper lip and punctuated her forehead. She trembled uncontrollably. Jack knew the damn signs.

Anger fused his heart and mindset. He had experienced his share of narcotic painkiller withdrawals during his Black Ops days in Iraq. Strapped down for days, vomiting, hallucinating, wanting someone to hand you a gun so you could end the hellish torture!

Jack's heartache heightened. A double-edged sword controlled Sam. To think that once more against her will, Sam had a worm in her head made him see black! He recalled the horror of Jolinar inside Sam and how it had messed her up afterward. It took weeks before she really talked to him about it, explained how unnerving it was to possess another being's experiences, thoughts, and most of all emotions. Jack had become jealous with the Jolinar and Martouf love affair. He knew Martouf had fallen in love with Sam. No doubt, originally because Sam possessed the memories of his mate. But for Jack, who basically saw things black and white, it meant another man was moving in on his woman. The fact Martouf shared something with Sam that Jack couldn't, made it even more intolerable. But, as usual, Jack kept up his wall and Sam would never know.

No, Sam would never know of the conversation he and Martouf shared that fatal day. The day the security of the SGC and the treaty between Earth and the Tokra were compromised. The day Sam and Jack were suspected to be exploding Zatarc assassins and Jack volunteered to be a guinea pig to save Sam from the same fate. The day their well-kept secret went public. The day Martouf died at Sam's hands.

'"Jack?"

"Marty, old pal? What brings you to my humble abode?" He looked up as the SF closed the door behind the Tokra, his wary gaze noting Freya/Anise outside his holding cell, again. Now what? He'd agreed to take the Za'tarc test that had killed Lieutenant Astor. No doubt, Freya had come to offer her personal services one last time. She was such a who-

"Freya is waiting to administer the test, Jack. We haven't much time."

"Yeah, well, time's relative according to Carter." He pulled out his yoyo and practiced walking the dog, trying to forget what'd he'd just agreed to, in order to save the woman he loved.

Marty settled in the same chair Freya's hot butt had warmed an hour ago. What was it with these horny snakeheads? God help him, if Marty hit on Jack, he'd-

"We need to talk about Sam."

"No we don't." Jack's wall went up. His mouth flattened-lined.

"She is in love with you."

"You're nuts."

"I wish I was. I wish Sam could feel for me what she feels for you."

Jack gawked. The room was security rigged! Had Martouf any idea what those recorded accusations could do to Sam's career? Let alone if Jack admitted to them. He took a piece of paper, scribbled and shoved it in the idiot's face, snapping his finger against the word-BUGGED!

"It has been temporarily disabled." Marty nodded with his charming smile.

"That's so Tokra of you." Jack scrubbed his face, tossed his hands in the air and grunted.

"But necessary. Our discussion must remain confidential and brief. Anise is ready to administer the test."

"So you already said. Just what else you saying here, Marty?" Jack dropped his feet from the cot and leaned forward.

"What we both know. I have been in love with Sam since we met."

"Nah ah. No one falls in love on the first date!" Jack stole Jacob's stupid line, realizing just how crazy it sounded coming from his lips.

Martouf pressed on, "At first it was our bond with Jolinar. Sam was able to share Jolinar's last thoughts with me. But that was not enough. I soon realized that I loved and desired Sam. Still do. But since we first touched, I knew her heart was already spoken for. I even sensed with whom."

"Nice of you to share." Jack yawned to avoid the man's intense scrutiny.

"I have tried to be your friend, Jack." The Tokra touched Jack's forearm. Jack eased out of it.

"Yeah, well, we've established mutual cynical respect. Not to mention you still got a snake in your head and your High Council always manages to leave out pertinent details that, like now, jeopardize my team and Earth."

"I understand your overall mistrust, Jack. But on a personal level, the first day we met at the Tokra base, I sensed the passionate attachment between yourself and Samantha. Your protective nature for her overrules your concern for all others. I even felt your disapproval and dislike of me when I invited Sam to the surface to talk. I believe you called us kids and told me to have her home by eleven p.m." He smiled slightly.

"It's the parental nature of being a CO. And I don't dislike you, Marty. I just . . . Well, other than hating the Goa'uld we've nothing in common. Never have, never will."

"We have Sam's welfare in common."

"Carter's a valuable member of my team. Besides, her brain's worth a lot more than mine."

"I am not talking about Sam's unique level of intelligence, Jack. I'm talking about emotions."

"Emotions are not one of my stronger points, Marty." He checked his watch in annoyance. On the other side of the door Freya/Anise stood beside Siler staring through the window. Siler held Jack's gaze and then lowered his expression of regret. Jack's breath hitched. This was for real. And time was a wasting. He shoved to his feet and headed for the door before Siler could interrupt with the 'Dead Man Walking' theme.

Martouf spoke up, "You conceal your feelings well, Jack O' Neill. No doubt you have a box in which you keep them hidden."

"Yep, big, deep box, Marty, and no body gets inside."

The man laughed softly. "Perhaps, but I believe Sam has the key to that box."

Jack snorted.

"You talk crass and often act how do you Tau'ri say, stupid. When, in fact, you are very intelligent. You feel and love far more than most men in your position. I even believe you like me more than you admit. But more important you are desperately in love with Sam."

Jack donned his best deadpan expression and looked back at the younger man. Amazing how despite his don't give a rip behavior, certain people like Martouf saw through him.

"Look, if I were to admit to that silly notion, which I won't. What has this to do with Carter and me accused of being assassins?"

"Everything. I believe that you and Sam failed the Zatarc test because you are not honest about your personal feelings for one another."

"Nah ah!" Jack waved his pointers. "Even if what you suggest was true, we were asked specific questions about what we did on Apophis' ship, not how we felt. I assume we told the same story?"

"Yes, but-"

"No butts, Marty! Now, if you don't mind I've got a killer date with your brain surgeon, Anise." He pocketed his yoyo. "And you've got an important meeting with my pres and your superior high counselor."

"Yes I do." Marty nodded, and then coming alongside Jack, stared into his face. "You intend to die for Samantha?"

"Yeah." Jack's already accelerated heart rate pitched. He looked at the younger man, seeing his unconditional love for Sam. In that moment they came to an understanding. They loved the same woman and would die for her. "So guess we have something in common after all, Marty."

"We do, Jack." Martouf nodded solemnly. "Please, know, I will be here for Sam."

"Sure, you will." Jack couldn't give his blessings to the Tokra, couldn't say, 'Hey, if I get my brains scrambled, take care of my Sam.' Nope. Despite their mutual respect, Jack would rather Sam find love with Daniel or anyone without a worm calling the shots.'

"I spoke with her."

"Know that too." Jack raised his fist to rap on the door.

"She said to tell you something."

"What?" Jack turned his head.

"That you and she are forever okay."

The first smile in hours graced Jack's lips.

"Her words are important to you?" Confusion illuminated Marty's face.

"Yeah." Jack nodded. They were the most important words in the world.

Jack's musings of that fatal day came full circle, but he didn't forget the reason he'd been thinking about Martouf. She walked beside him holding his hand. They were marching the corridors of Heru'ur's ship and Sam with a freaking snake in her head - again. Sam had sworn to never be blended- again. Yet, here she was, manipulated by another entity, even worse, an addicted one. He had to end this madness, had to save his wife, no matter the cost. Martouf's words reverberated within in his head. "You intend to die for Sam."

"Yeah," Jack said softly as he made his decision.

"Sir?" Sam presented her million-watt smile and gripped his hand tighter. "It's me."

"Know that." He nodded vaguely.

"We okay?" her voice trembled and she touched his shoulder.

"Forever okay, Dorothy." Jack grazed his thumb along her quivering dry lips. Sam captured his fingers and pressed a kiss to them. He felt the warm hum of her lips, knew that familiar sensation was Sam's alone. Jack almost lost it. He wanted to kiss her, hold her forever. His eyes held and caressed her glistening blue gaze, praying this wasn't the last time he'd see or feel Sam loving him.

Daniel cleared his throat in warning.

Jack dropped his hand and they began walking again.

"Belju?" he forced the Tokra's name passed his tongue, pronouncing it correctly, intentionally.

Sam's blonde head lowered then lifted. "Yes?"

"Why did you bring the drug vial?"

"For the Tokra to analyze."

"Oh."

"You do not seem convinced." Belju glanced at him as they cautiously rounded a corner finding it empty.

Major gut ache. 'So not good, O'Neill.'

"Well, if your host was addicted to that crap . . ."

She frowned and then directed her gaze ahead of them. The snake was lying which meant Sam knew why!

"Sam?"

She swiveled to gaze at him. Jack encountered Belju. They approached the open docking bay and hanger. Open being the misleading factor.

"Well, I'm just saying." Jack realized the dreaded truth and reached for his zat-too late.

"It means she's not going anywhere," Heru'ur announced stepping clear of shadows.

A flank of Horus guards surrounded Jack's team.

Teal'c raised his staff weapon to fire.

"Give it up, T!" Jack waved a hand.

'O'Neill?" The Jaffa's brows shifted in astonishment.

"Jack?" Daniel questioned behind him, his own weapon aimed at two guards.

Jack lifted his tunic's hem a fraction.

"Um, right." Daniel surrendered his staff.

"Do what the boss says, Teal'c," Daniel confirmed.

Frowning, Teal'c extended his weapon to another guard.

"You never intended to leave with them, did you, Beloved?" Heru'ur looked confidently at his mate.

"Carter?" Jack felt her trembling hand pull free from his tight grip. He reached out as she backed away, shaking her head. Jack looked at her, willing Sam to break through. Deep brown eyes bore into blue eyes. He sensed Sam struggling to break free.

"I am sorry," Belju said regretfully to him. "I did not want this blending, but had no choice." She took her place alongside Heru'ur who draped his arm around her waist and pulled her into him.

Jack winced then donned indifference. It was imperative Sam/it perceive him in control.

"My Beloved, you are in need," Heru'ur seemed concerned and tenderly touched Sam's damp brow.

"Yeess," her voice quivered and she slipped a hand into her pocket, retrieving the vial.

"Oh, boy. This is not good, Jack." Daniel sighed out.

"Um, you just noticed?" He toyed with the wedding ring on his finger, felt the Tokra's gaze.

"I believe she is addicted to something, O'Neill." Teal'c observed as Sam/it put the vial of orange liquid to her lips.

"Listen to me, Carter. You're not a druggie yet. Belju is. Fight it, Major!" Jack barked in his flinty CO voice.

Sam's desperate sorrowful eyes met his before she looked away.

Heru'ur snorted at Jack's attempt to reach her. "You, Tau'ri, are pathetically weak and pitiful!" he addressed Jack.

"And so's your manic-depressed Beloved!" Jack gestured at her. "Is that what you want to spend the rest of your centuries with, Herpes? A co-dependant snakehead?"

"She wasn't always this way!" Heru'ur defended.

"Geez, no kidding, Chrome Dome." Jack took a casual step back. Daniel took one forward.

The angle Teal'c faced, allowed him to view his teammates subtle seasoned movements. The Jaffa's left brow flickered in comprehension. Jack nodded.

"And I just bet you blame yourself for making her this way? Like that would happen!"

Turning to Jack, Belju had ceased her tremor sweats, appeared more composed. Jack noted how she fingered her hair behind her ears and tilted her head toward him. Sam gestures.

"I assume you still want me as First Prime?" He bragged.

Shaking his head, the handsome Goa'uld scoffed, "That is no longer an option, Tau'ri. You have too great a hold on your mate. However, the bounty on your head and that of the Shol'vah Teal'c, will gain me much favor with Apophis. To become one of his inner circle is more beneficial for my plans to overthrow him."

"Now see, that makes complete sense, right, kids?" Jack grinned at everyone. "So before you send us packing, care to fill in a few crates and then let me kiss my wife goodbye?" He channeled Sam with the waggle of his brows and his devil may care grin.

She returned her turtledove chin tuck and winked. Sam was back. Houston, you have a go!

"No!" The Goa'uld was obviously suspicious and jealous.

"Please?" Belju touched her mate's forearm. "It is the least we can do."

"Are you certain, Beloved?" He looked way too mushy at her.

"Yes."

"A freaking Goa'uld with a heart! Geez, will wonders ever cease?"

"Indeed." Teal'c sounded equally amazed.

"Now if he only had a brain." Jack whistled the 'Wizard of Oz' tune.

"Um, Jack?" Daniel prompted.

"Not now, Daniel."

"No?"

"No!" Jack returned his attention to the lovebirds . . .um, snakes. "Yo, Herpes, you do know she's . . ." he gestured to Belju, "Tokra, right?"

"I do."

"Glad we got that ironed out." He rubbed the back of his neck, stretching his tunic in the process. "And that's why you slipped her the Mickey?"

"I had no choice," he sounded almost human and drew her close. "She was a Tokra operative."

Was?

Whoops!

"You could have fried her brain with your doohickey. Like is that real gold?"

"She is my Beloved!"

"Well see that's where it gets confusing." Jack tapped his forehead. "Mommy Hathor called everyone," he hung quote marks in the air, '"Beloved.' just before she toasted them, froze them or in Daniel's case, scre . . ."

"Jack!"

"Sorry." Jack brushed against the archeologist.

"Enough!" Heru'ur's dome turned fire engine red. "Take them away."

"Nah ah." Jack stepped boldly forward wagging a finger at the Goa'uld. "Don't be an Indian giver, Herpes. Coz, I got a big, fat, French kiss coming." He winked at Sam.

Sam's blue eyes widened at his double connotation. She shook her head no but Belju made her walk toward him.

"Belju, ya hussy?" Jack challenged as he swaggered closer, shining his most seductive smile. "This is the proving ground, time to right the wrong, out with the old-in with the new. Yadda, yadda."

Before Heru'ur made sense of Jack's nonsense, Jack kissed Sam, slipping the knife into her pocket that nestled between their molded bodies. When his mouth opened over hers he drew her tighter. Sam struggle to resist and Jack willed her to yield. Belju submitted to his intimate kiss. Her fingers digging deep into his shoulder, Sam's body relaxed and then stiffened. Jack jolted from the painful, piercing invasion as an electrical surge exploded down his spinal column, fusing into his nerve fibers. His reactions were solely premeditated. Jack tossed the zat at Teal'c and flung Sam into the Jaffa's arms.

"Come to Momma!" Jack turned on Heru'ur! ~*~

CHAPTER TEN: 'Who's your Daddy?'

~*~

"Kree! Do not harm my Beloved!"

Wiping her mouth, Sam tasted blood. Her blood! Jack's blood! Weak-kneed, she teetered against the Jaffa who righted her, then set himself between her and the oncoming Horus guards. Sam's vision blurred. Daniel caught her, shoved her behind him and fired off his zat and pistol.

She heard shuffling, painful cries. Zats and staff weapons fired. A heat blast grazed her left arm. Daniel yanked her to the floor and they rolled as one.

Jack's voice echoed tauntingly like a Goa'uld. Her heart lurched. Not Jack! She attempted to link with Belju but met only a haze of confusion, her own.

Daniel cursed then said, "Heru'ur's got the shield and is blocking the docking bay. Sam, you're hit!" He was in her face, tearing the seared fabric from her bleeding arm.

"Be-fine." She shoved to her knees feeling the hilt of the knife in her right hand. "Where are the colonel and Teal'c?"

"Teal'c's there." Daniel pointed at the opposite wall where the Jaffa had taken out all but six of the Horus guards who'd come to their god's rescue.

"Heru'ur lost many of his troops in the last battle against Apophis. Although he's regrouping, he's been faking his numbers for months." Bel'ju's memories rushed passed Sam's lips. "Other than whoever is piloting, what you see is probably all there is."

"Well that sweetens the odds." Daniel dropped another guard then scooted beside her.

"Jack?" Sam met Daniel's wired blue gaze.

"He and Belju are at a standoff with Heru'ur. Don't know how long Jack can control her."

"She's Tokra, Daniel."

"She's an addict, Sam, and like it or not, Heru'ur's her dealer."

"Yeah," Sam admitted. Her vision cleared and she focused on Jack held by two guards. "Heru'ur know we switched?"

"Yep and he's not happy! He wants his mate and he doesn't want her in Jack. Apparently he's not into the gay rights movement."

That made Sam smile. Daniel spent too much time around her man. "She must leave him."

"Hope so."

"She promised before she left me." Sam shook her head and began to shake. Shock? Yes. Withdrawal? Definite yes.

"Sam?" Daniel pulled her further into the corner and turned her face to his. "Talk to me!"

"Holy Hannah, she's dying, Daniel! And if she dies while inside Jack-"

"Jack goes with her."

"Yes!"

"Does he know?"

"Does now."

"How long?" Daniel peered around the wall as two more guards joined the action.

"Minutes at most." Shoving her feeling deep, Sam got to her feet. "I must get past those guards." She wielded the knife.

They glanced across to Teal'c who signed a tactical maneuver. Sam and Daniel nodded. Teal'c came out firing two zats, taking out guards to the left and right. Her target in sight Sam didn't waver as staffs and zats blasted around her.

While Teal'c took out the guards holding Jack/Belju, Sam saw his ashen complexion, his unsteady stance. To Sam's astonishment Belju placed Jack's body between her and Heru'ur.

"No, Sir!" Sam yelled.

Jack turned and looked at her and she saw recognition in his eyes, the same passionate admission they'd shared six months ago on Apophis' vessel. Jack loved her!

Heru'ur lunged to pull Jack to him. Zat fire dropped Jack/Belju who fell out of the Goa'uld's reach. Heru'ur screamed his rage and his force field encased him. He fired at Teal'c and Daniel dropping both men in seconds. The angered god turned to fire at Sam, but her knife was already soaring for its target. It entered the Goa'uld's chest and he crumbled to the floor, reaching out for Belju.

Sam ran for Jack. Behind her, Daniel and Teal'c's voices reverberated. They were alive!

Sam flipped Jack over and felt his pulse. It was thready. "Belju!" She pulled Jack onto his side and pried open his mouth. "Leave him!"

"Ca-n't," the whisper formed on Jack's dry lips.

"You must! Or he'll die!"

Jack's pulse ebbed to nothing.

"No!" Sam cried out.

Teal'c and Daniel came beside her. Teal'c checked Jack's vitals. "I sense no life signs, Daniel Jackson."

"Sam, we must go!" Daniel ordered as an outside blast rocked the mother ship. "Apophis is onto to us!"

"Jack's dead!" Disbelief coiled around Sam's heart. They'd been in this situation before, right? Jack would make it. He always did. She willed his beautiful brown eyes to open, for his irreverent mouth to say something, anything!

"We will bring him with us. The Tokra or Knox can revive him." Teal'c scooped up Jack's body and he raced toward the Tel?tac with Sam and Daniel hot on his tail.

Once inside, Teal'c gently laid Jack on the cargo bay floor. Sam knelt down and touched the cool ashen features of her husband. Jack's one-liners bombarded her. "Excuse me? Yeah sure yabetcha. Whatever! Just peachy. Sweet. Fine, fine! Freaking! Crap! Dang! Geez! Now there's a novel idea. Excellent! There should be cake. Cake or Carter? Look trees! That's wrong on so many levels. We still having fun, kids? Oy! I'm just saying. Apparently. For crying out loud! And you were there and you were there . . . Hail Dorothy! We're off to see the Wizard . . .Oz here we come! Weird. Cool. Nice. Nah ah! Morning campers. Wanna go fishing? It's not about the fish it's about fishing, Carter. C'mere-"

"Go save our collective asses, Carter!" Sam jolted as she realized that's exactly what Jack would say.

"Yes, Sir!" She took her place beside Teal'c at the helm.

"I can't believe they don't have passenger seats let alone seatbelts!" Daniel hung onto the back of Teal'c seat for dear life.

The mother ship's exterior cargo bay door began to open. Engines engaged the Tel?tac maneuvered into launching position. The mother ship took another strike and rolled, sending them on a collision course with the partially opened door. Teal'c steered clear just missing the fatal collision. A second later they were space bound, but not safe. A dozen death gliders were on their tail. Something far worse hovered in the distance.

"Holy Hannah!" Sam gulped as they spotted the biggest mother ship of all times. "Apophis!"

"So it would seem," Teal'c sounded too calm.

"Engage hyper drive, T!" Sam initiated the cloaking device.

"I will, indeed, Major Carter-O'Neill." He smiled.

Sam waited to experience the oncoming rush. Nothing! She looked at Teal'c, who was no longer smiling.

"We have less than thirty-percent normal capacity and the hyper-drive has been disabled." He elevated a brow.

"Figures. Daniel with me." She bolted out of her seat and ran for the engine room, side stepping Jack's body. While she and Daniel recalibrated the crystals settings, an explosion rocked their ship.

"Teal'c!" she yelled out, holding onto a panel while Daniel kissed the floor.

"Heru'ur's ship is no more, Major."

"Great!" Daniel muttered getting to his feet.

"However, a death glider launched before impact," Teal'c finished.

"Heru'ur?" Sam winced.

"Very possibly. I also believe Apophis senses our presence."

Death gliders soared within hearing.

"Hit it!" Sam called out.

The ship lurched forward.

"We are at full capacity. Entering hyper drive now!"

Sam embraced the weird dizzy feeling and closed her eyes. A moment later, they were zipping through hyperspace and hopefully out of harm's way.

"I will attempt to contact the Tokra, Major Carter," Teal'c voice echoed somewhere in the lonely plains of her mind.

"Sure, you do that," Sam's words sounded as empty as she felt.

Her team was safe.

Her CO was dead.

Her husband was dead.

Feeling like a puppet, Sam turned to find Daniel checking Jack's pulse. Sam shut her eyes to the reality that threatened to suffocate her. She didn't have to see the despair on Daniel's face when he found no pulse. When she opened her eyes, Daniel was yanking a blue BDU button-down from his backpack. Sam recognized the Colonel's insignia patch. Her throat dried when Daniel turned back, intending to cover Jack's peaceful countenance.

"Not yet." Kneeling beside her friend, tears burned Sam's eyelids, but she refused to cry. Jack wouldn't want her too, at least not here.

"Jack did it for you, Sam." Daniel drew her into his trembling arms.

"He would have done it for anyone," she countered, knowing and loving that truth about her husband.

"Yeah, he would." Daniel nodded, then bent and placed each of Jack's arms over his chest.

Teal'c joined them. Knelling beside Sam, he eased a massive arm around her and hugged her. Her heart lurched as she felt the large man's tremor. These two men holding her were the only people in the universe who truly understood and shared her loss. Seeing tears in Daniel's blue eyes, Sam tightened her resolve. For them and for Jack she would show no weakness. She would not cry.

Teal'c finally broke their silent vigil. "I've sent our IDC to the Tokra, Major. Would you like me to contact General Hammond?"

"Thank you, Teal'c. It's my duty to tell the general. Just give me a moment, huh?"

"As you wish." He squeezed her firmer and then left.

Her friends made eye contact.

"We'll be at the helm, Sam." Daniel kissed her cheek. "When you're ready, Teal'c will put Jack's remains in the freezer. And we need to tend that arm wound."

Barely aware of his voice, she nodded. She was even less aware of the throbbing pain in her arm.

The men stood and walked away.

Sam clutched Jack's BDU shirt to her cheek, inhaling his familiar scent of English Leather and more, the earthy scent of crushed autumn leaves. It seemed as if his Minnesota heritage had branded itself to Jack's very being.

Smoothing the wrinkled shirt, Sam wanted to laugh. Jack would have appreciated this. Daniel had Jack's clean BDU's and skivvies all along, just one of their many Hallmark team moments. Of course, Sam hadn't known until now. Better yet, she had enjoyed the snug fitting Tokra breeches on her husband.

"Crap!" She subconsciously whispered the simple reply Jack would have given to being the butt of Daniel's prank.

She could hear him now, "I so own you, Daniel."

Yeah, there would have been O'Neill payback, of course. Warped Daniel counted on it. There'd not be now. No, there would never be a lot of things. No more chess, stargazing, cookouts, pool games, walks in the park, stolen hugs in their private SGC room. No more opera, Homer Simpson debates, Gene Kelly movie marathons. Watching Jack's chocolate eyes glaze over listening to her techno-babble. Man, oh man, they'd never go fishing!

Sam trailed a trembling finger along his blue shadowed jaw. She smiled lovingly down at him. "I thank the Keeper of the Stars for you, Jack O'Neill. Now fly home to Him, Scarecrow, and go fishing."

Her hand encircling his left one and his wedding band, Sam brushed a soft moist kiss across Jack's dry lips, and then she froze. Her heart hammered as she forced to concentrate on what she felt and sensed. Shocked, she pulled back and stared down at him. Time stood still before she found her voice.

"Daniel! Teal'c!"

"What?" Daniel shouted running back to her side.

"They're warm!" She waved at Jack's lips.

"There's no pulse, Sam."

"Yes!" She frantically padded her dress searching for the darn pockets. "When Jolinar was dying, my vitals also stopped."

"Sure, but this is different." Daniel dropped down beside her and looked at Jack's dead-like appearance.

"Not necessarily."

"Major Carter is correct, Daniel Jackson." Teal'c lowered to his haunches and gripped Jack's neck, then closed his eyes and concentrated.

"Found it!" Sam announced taking out the vial of orange potion.

"I, too, sense life force." Teal'c smiled. "Two. One's barely stronger than the other. I believe they are in Kelnorim! There is little time."

"Sam!" Daniel shook his head as she examined the container's contents. "That's what's killing Belju."

"And could save Jack!" She snapped open the vial. "It's a stimulant, Daniel."

"Major Carter is correct." Teal'c propped Jack's limp head into an upright position.

"Sam?" Daniel was still not convinced.

"Jack would do the same for us." She stared beseechingly into her friend's blue eyes.

"Indeed." Teal'c pried Jack's mouth open.

Reluctant, Daniel nodded and assisted Teal'c, tipping Jack's head back.

Sam pressed the open vial against Jack's lips.

"It barely touched his skin, Sam." Daniel had come full circle.

"Too much will kill him."

The two men looked at her incredulously.

"Speaking with first hand experience, it is highly concentrated and is absorbed through the tissue. Besides if he lives, they'll need it to survive the withdrawal symptoms and for Janet to test for residual effects."

Jack's body began lurching, his limbs flayed. Teal'c and Daniel held him down. Jack gasped and rolled his head sideways. His mouth opened and the symbiote slithered slowly out of him onto the hull's floor and went flaccid.

Teal'c examined the symbiote. "Belju is dead."

Jack gasped a breath and slumped back against Teal'c.

"Colonel! Sir!" Out of her mind with fear, Sam clutched his jaw and twisted his face toward hers. "Dammit! So help me, Jack, you die on me and you'll never find that mole!"

~*~

'Day ja view! Dorothy was swearing at him . . .again!'

Jack moaned. His trembling hands found Sam's tight warm grip on his face. Sam clenched his cold hands.

Sighs resounded around him.

Jack's eyes fluttered open and focused on the coffee-skinned baldhead that occupied his blurred vision. Murray! "Honey, I'm. . .home," he rasped.

"It is good to see you to, O'Neill." Teal'c nodded.

Jack coughed and blood pooled at the corner of his mouth. He let go of Sam's hands, swiped at his lips and grimaced, then spotted Daniel. "Hey there, Space Monkey."

"Hi, Jack." Daniel let out a long held breath, grinned and handed Jack a handkerchief.

"Well, that went well." He smiled until his clouded gaze settled on the Tokra who had saved his and Sam's lives. "Crap!" he muttered.

"There's nothing we could have done, Jack. Belju knew she was dying," Sam answered his unspoken question.

"Right." He felt her hands squeeze his. Disorientated, he turned his head until he found Sam smiling at him.

"You're hurt!" He touched the staff weapon burn on her arm.

"I'm fine," she murmured. When his worried gaze held her moist blue eyes, she tipped her head and snagged her lower lip, trying not to cry.

"Let them go," he ordered gently.

"Sir?" She was shaking hard.

"Hail Dorothy, my courageous lover." Jack pushed upright, and tenderly brushed his thumbs along her warm wet cheeks.

He barely noticed their friends quietly leave the cargo bay.

Slipping an arm around her, he urged, "C'mere."

Sam seized hold, and her fingers dug into the back of his tunic, searing his flesh. Jack clutched her shoulder and pulled her soft trembling body into his. Their bodies meshed as one. They always had. There was nothing he wouldn't do for this woman's love. He had almost died to hold her and would do it again. Lowering my head, he nuzzled the pliable warmth of her bare neck and kissed her while in his heart, he thanked the Keeper of the Stars.

~*~

"Daniel!"

The familiar brash CO bellow jerked Sam from a sound sleep. She awoke to find her pillow, Jack's shoulder, had vanished. Yawning, she couldn't believe they'd crashed on the hard cargo bay floor, instead of a private berth. A solar blanket covered her, no doubt Teal'c's handiwork. Daniel was rarely that thoughtful, she mused.

"Daniel, get your bony book-smart ass in here!"

Things were back to normal. Sam smiled. Stretching her aching lower back, she pushed upright to find Jack a few feet away, holding his fatigues in one hand and a pair of Bugs Bunny boxers in the other.

Whoops!

"Hellooo, honeymooners." The none-the wiser, Daniel poked his head into the open hatchway, looked at Sam and smiled.

She grimaced and nodded toward Jack whose back was to the linguist.

"What'sup?"

Before her husband pivoted, Sam saw what Daniel didn't, Jack's lethal 'you die' expression. She could easily save the linguist's butt, and then remembered everything he and Teal'c had put them through. Nope. She would sit back and enjoy the show. Wished she had a diet pop and popcorn.

"Care to enlighten me?" Jack swung around, flagging his BDU's as he stalked toward the younger man.

"Oh!" Daniel began to back away. "Whoa, you found them! Well that's great! Isn't it, Sam?" He sent a 'help me' glance her way.

"Deal." She wagged a brow and smirked.

He made a mad dash out of the bay.

Winking at Sam, Jack dropped his clothes and went after Daniel, yelling, "Do you have any idea how it feels to have short, tight, pants riding up your crack for three days and no freaking pockets?"

"No. But, Jack, be reasonable!"

"Reasonable, Danny Boy? You don't wanna go there-I so own you!"

Ah, another day at the office. Sam got to her feet, folded the blanket and joined Teal'c at the helm. She settled in the co-pilot's seat, rubbed her eyes and finger combed her hair. She needed a shower, but that could wait. Sam flexed her bandaged arm then smiled at Teal'c, who nodded in accordance.

"Someone? Teal'c, help?" Daniel called out.

"I am presently indisposed, DanielJackson," Teal'c retorted, smiling at Sam.

"Sam, he's going to-"

"What? Can't hear you."

Jack cursed! A lot!

Daniel yelped! A lot!

"So did you sleep well, Major?"

"Best in days, T." She grinned and stared out the helm's transom as they entered their familiar star system. Home was just two days away. Leaning back, Sam sighed contentment.

Shuffling, scratching sounds emitted from one of the quarters. Dad's, Sam assumed.

"It was good to speak with General Hammond last night, was it not?"

"Sure was. Just don't know how much of this mission should go in our reports."

"See this, Danny?"

"It's a crapper!"

"Ah, but not just any crapper."

"O'Neill already spoke with Daniel and myself last night. We agreed not to mention the colonel's transitory retirement or your wedding on Chulak. You can be confident that your clandestine marriage remains secure with us, Samantha Carter O'Neill."

"Thank you, Teal'c." She reached over and patted his forearm. "But I rather like the sound of Mrs. Jack O'Neill."

"Then you are confident in your own skin, Major?"

"Yep. During work I'm Major Carter, when I'm not-"

"Jack, you're not going to-You wouldn't dare!"

"Never dare a retired colonel, Danny!"

"But-Argh!" Gurgling sounds followed.

Sam winced.

Teal'c smiled.

Daniel gasped and sputtered. The sound of spewing water made Sam's stomach flip. And yet her grin widened.

"Ah, shit, Jack! I can't believe you did that!"

"Whatever it takes to make a believer out of you."

More gurgling, gagging and . . .sputtering.

Wheezing.

Silence.

Jack ambled into the helm, nodded at them, entered the cargo bay, and then with Daniel's backpack and his BDU's he returned to his quarters.

"Payback by O'Neill is a bitch, Major."

"Yeah sure yabetcha," Sam sighed out, wondering if she should intervene. "You could be next, Teal'c."

"I highly doubt that." He smiled as if knowing something she did not.

"Me?" She gulped.

"I doubt that either."

"Good."

"Please, Jack? No!"

Sam heard the zat fire three times. That got her to her feet. Teal'c followed. Piling into the close quarter's Sam and Teal'c found Jack in his clean fatigues, Daniel wearing Jack's soiled Tokra outfit, while the remains of Daniel's BDU's were well . . .vaporized.

Turning to them, Jack blew on the zat as if it was a colt forty-five and grinned. His chocolate eyes were lit up with childlike satisfaction and his dimples tucked deep along a crooked smile.

"Well, that went well." Jack assessed the situation and without a backward glance left the three of them gaping. He strolled toward the helm, whistling, "That's what friends are for..."

"I can't believe he did that!" Daniel slumped onto the lower berth.

"Dunked your head in the bidet and disintegrated your clothes?" Sam grinned at the handsome linguist's face whose drenched hair plastered his brow.

"Heck no!" He removed his wet glasses to dry them. "He flushed my candy bars and worse, my specialty coffees down the toilet!" ~*~

CHAPTER ELEVEN We've been in this situation before, right? Nada!

~*~

After two days onboard the Tel'tac dealing with Daniel's whining and snapping, Jack wished he'd kept some caffeine for backup. Daniel going cold turkey was no joyride. Teal'c and Sam had even threatened to strangle Jack, whose Hallmark moment got flushed down the crapper. Still, it had been worth it!

Back at the SGC life returned to normal. Well almost. Daniel went a lot easier on his caffeine fixes. Sam and Jack suffered mild but annoying body tremors and sweats from withdrawal. But twenty-four hours later, Janet gave them a clean bill of health and settled into her lab to breakdown Nirrti's mind control drug.

Meanwhile, Hammond tried to contact Jacob that his Tel'tac was safely housed on the Alpha site, and about the unfortunate death of the Tokra operative, Belju. To date, the Tokra had not responded. Hammond also kept Jack hopping. Every time he looked sideways the general demanded reports, and the stack of expensive equipment acquisitions be completed by the end of the week. Not to mention, helping Hammond select three new SG teams and putting his stamp of approval on several promotions within the SGC.

As for Sam and Jack, well, that wasn't as smooth a transition as Jack had hoped. First thing, the wedding bands came off, each agreeing only to wear them in private.

Meanwhile the SG-1 cohorts did some fact swapping to make sure their reports jibed. Daniel and Teal'c took it all in stride. To ease his mind about their marriage, Jack engaged the mindset of his Black Ops days. What really happened and what got reported was often times diluted, a typical covert mission report. Sam, on the other hand, buried herself in her work, slept on base and avoided Jack. He'd expected it. But didn't like it.

Jack requested Hammond give SG-1 some downtime. He got it! An entire ten days free and clear! He and Sam needed to figure out how they were going handle this change in their relationship. Especially how they planned to stay committed to their marriage and not break the regs. Jack remained open to alternatives to keep his lover satisfied. He just didn't know if his conservative Sam would be game. The first problem was he had to get her alone so they could talk. Issue was the only conversations they'd had of late were work related. Yes sir, no sir, was annoying the crap out of him.

So, come Wednesday, the most important day of the workweek for them, when she failed to show for their regularly scheduled, closet date, Jack had had enough. After waiting twenty minutes in the musty supply room, he stalked into Sam's lab to find her soldering an alien doohickey.

She didn't look up as he drummed his fingers in their personal code against the stainless steel counter, basically saying where the heck were you? This further infuriated him.

"Forget what day it is, Carter?"

"No, Colonel." Sam lifted her safety glasses and glanced up as if surprised to see him.

"Oh." Jack scrunched his face and exhaled loudly.

"I sent you a memo." She waved at her pc.

"Don't read memos." He couldn't believe she'd used that lame excuse.

"Then maybe you should start, Sir?"

"The tree. 1900 hrs, Carter!"

"But, Colonel, Sir, I'm trying to catch up on important work here." She gestured at her gadgets.

"Maybe you should reconsider your priorities, Major!" He didn't wait for her answer and marched out of her lab, cursing.

~*~

1945 hours: Garden of the Gods National Park

No Carter. Jack pulled out his cell phone again, willing it to ring, and then glanced at his pager, neither had been activated in hours. Pushing to his feet, he brushed the snow off his cold rear and jammed his gloved hands into his jacket pockets. Jack was beyond mad, explosive was more like it, and more accurately, he was scared. He'd been revisiting their personal actions last week and much as he hated to admit it, he almost regretted their marriage, let alone its consummation. That's if there'd even been one. He'd had a brief but enlightening talk with Teal'c about the high quantity of love potion #9 he and Sam had ingested. He also knew Sam had spoken with Daniel.

Like Jack, Sam had not confided in their best friends, as to whether or not the vows had been consummated. Besides, he and Sam knew there was no absolute they'd finished making love that night. And if they had. What then?

Jack took another pass at his cold damp jean bottoms. Daffy's tail feathers were freezing! When you live in the Rocky Mountains, snow is an option no matter what time of year. Late September and there were three fresh inches on the mountain. With just enough moonlight to plot his steps, Jack tramped through the periodic drifts to his truck a quarter mile outside the park's lands. Bad enough he was here after curfew. Then again, for four years he and Sam had managed not to get caught by the rangers or anyone else. Yeah, Kinsey and the NID would just love that tidbit. For that reason, they never parked in the same place twice.

When he spotted the dirt road and his lone truck, Jack halted. A shadow moved around to the passenger side of his truck's cab. His pistol locked in his glove compartment, Jack doubled back rationalizing it could be a wild animal. While a series of clouds drifted across the pale moon, Jack made his move. "Raise your hands and step away from the vehicle," he ordered, waving the penlight Janet had given him on April Fool Day. Jack felt ridiculous.

"Intending to pistol-whip me with your pen, Sir?" Sam stepped out of the darkness, chaffing her bare hands and blowing on them.

"Crap, Carter!" Jack flicked off the light and snuffed a breath of relief.

'Sorry, I'm late." She jammed her hand into her pockets and approached him.

They met halfway with several feet between them, neither ventured closer. Jack watched the whiffs of Sam's hot breath dot the air between them.

"I've got a pager and cell," he punctuated, annoyed. He wanted to kiss her so bad he could taste her lips.

"I know." She made no excuse, which he respected.

Chilled to the bone, he stalked by her, climbed into his truck, turned on the ignition and heat. Sam followed at a slower pace, hesitating at the passenger side.

Jack rolled down her window. "Unless you intend freezing your hinny off, I suggest you get in!" He yanked off his gloves and chaffed his cold thighs. He was so close to losing it! Losing her. Jack's gut hurt something fierce.

Sam complied and shut the door. She wore the mid-length leather jacket he'd bought her last Christmas, black jeans and hiking boots. And yet his genius officer, failed to wear a hat or gloves.

"How long have ya been here?" He removed his black cap and jammed it over her blond hair until it covered her red earlobes. Darn, if she didn't looked sexy wearing it.

"A while." She shivered, sticking her hands between her slender thighs and closing them to warm her hands. An erotic image flashed through Jack's head, but he tossed it. They had more serious issues than sex to discuss.

"Where'd you park?"

"Car wouldn't start again. Came by cab and hiked in?"

"That's nuts, Carter! Why didn't you call me?"

Not answering, she sniffed her dripping nose. The cold air had made his nose leak too. He reached behind the seat, pulled a handful of tissues from a box and handed them over, then used one himself.

Sam blew into the tissue, sounding like a foghorn.

"Sorry."

"Glad you got it out of your system." He hid a smirk. When he looked back she was hugging herself and staring out the window. It had begun to snow. He was not going to touch her, take her in his arms, warm her chilled lush body with his hot one, stroke her frost tinted cheeks, kiss her shivering lips. Nope. He was so not going to do that.

Ah, what the h- "C'mere." He draped an arm over her trembling shoulders, but she didn't oblige him.

Sam turned and looked up, lips quivering she shook her head.

"So you don't want me to hold you?" Puzzled, he dropped his arm.

"Yeees," she was shivering.

"Excellent." He inched over cursing the bucket seats.

"You must hate me." She looked at her lap.

"Huh?" He cupped her chin and lifted it until they were eye to eye. "Sam, I feel a lot of things for you but hate isn't even on my short list."

She attempted a smile, glanced away and drew a trembling breath.

Well, this sucked!

"Look, the last while has been a roller-coaster ride and I admit we've had some bad days. I need to know you're all right, especially after blending with Bel'ju."

"I'm fine. Some flashes now and then but nothing like I experienced with Jolinar. Apparently, Bel'ju meant it what she said, that she wouldn't blend with us. And you?"

"Just peachy." Jack shot her an edgy smile.

"I'm sorry you had to experience that."

"Makes two of us." He shuddered.

A burdened moment divided them. Sam toyed with the radio and then his CD player. Whitney Houston began singing. . .

'Where do broken hearts go. . .'

He saw her stunned expression. "Got it on instant replay," he muttered, realizing she knew what a sap he could be.

She turned down the volume, but hummed softly to their song. Her left hand found his and still they didn't look at each other. It was then he felt the coldness of the diamond graze his palm. Jack's heart did a double flip.

"Ja-"

"Sam," he interrupted.

"You, first," she gestured with a nod.

"Okay, but before we talk about anything else we've gotta get one thing cleared up."

"Sure." She met his flat expression with one of trepidation.

"Samantha, do you still love me?"

Her chin tensed in his tender touch. He felt her swallow, watched her baby blues close and then open. Her cool, slender fingers gripped his wrists, holding on tight. Jack's heart slammed against his chest. He feared what she was about to say.

"Of course, I love you, Silly. You're my husband."

"Husband?" his voice cracked.

"Yes. So do you still love me?" she sounded less confident.

"Yeah sure yabetcha!" He kissed her red nose and rained kisses across her cool fair cheeks inching toward the arch of her neck.

"You regret marrying me?" Her fingers enveloped his left hand as she touched his wedding band and flinched.

Dumbfounded, Jack halted mid-kiss, pulled back and gaped at her. "Excuse me?"

"I asked if-"

"Whoa!" He flagged both hands. "Time out!" He was irked. "I don't regret anything, Samantha Carter O'Neill, let alone marrying you!"

"O'Neill will do." She smiled softly. "And you don't?"

"No! And just why would you think otherwise?"

"Well, you've been avoiding me all week."

"Was not. Hammond had me chained to my desk."

"You found your desk?" she quipped.

"Funny." He smiled down at her. "Besides you're the one avoiding me. Buried in your lab, sleeping on base, missing our closet date."

"I skipped our meeting because, well, I didn't think you'd show."

"Well, I did. Just coz we're married doesn't mean we stop doing what we did before. In fact I think it will help things if we just went on like before, with a few exceptions of course."

"Like?"

"Like you not hanging out with Felger twenty-four seven."

"Hey, I know you're not fond of him, but he is brilliant."

"He's an idiot, Sam! And dangerous. One of these times he's going to blow something up."

"Like you should talk, Mr. T N T!"

"I mean it. Got this gut feeling about him and you know how right my gut aches are."

"Yes, well Jay's just enthusiastic about getting hired on by the SGC."

Jack snorted.

"Beside he had over ten projects for me to sign off on. Four of which, defy the law of physics, but he insisted on explaining them. Worse, three made me jealous. The guy's way smarter than me."

"Doubt that. Besides he's got a crush on you."

"You're kidding!" Her kissable mouth dropped open.

"Geez, Carter." Jack rolled his eyes. "The guy trips over his tongue and feet every time you're in his range of vision."

"You jealous?" Sam blushed in the soft moonlight.

"Should I be?" He eased his arm around her waist and drew her close.

"I'm a married woman, Sir. And despite the fact he's puppy dog, Doctor Jay Felger isn't my type."

"So what is your type?" Jack tugged his cap off her head, ruffled her hair and flicked the tip of his tongue into her ear.

"Whoa!" A sexy rumble vibrated from the back of her throat. Sam slid deeper into his embrace. "Got the hots for my CO, but he's married."

"Nice. If it's any comfort, I feel the same about my 2IC."

"So what you suggest we do about it?" She clutched his jacket front and turned into him.

"This." When their lips met, Jack swore to hear angels sing. "I want to make love to you, Sam, and this time I wanna remember."

Sam went rigid in his arms.

Dang! He eased back and winced.

"You don't remember?"

"Well I'm just saying-sort of . . ." Heck he didn't know what he was saying.

"You really don't remember if you . . .if we?"

"Nada." he sighed out, then glanced beneath his lashes at her, "And you?"

"No." Sam turned in her seat taking her hands with her. "I mean, I recall groping, kissing," her hand returned to his right thigh and higher. She extracted a groan from him. "Oh, I definitely remember seeing and feeling," she counted down off her choices. "Daffy Duck." She winked.

"Hey, you got x-ray vision?"

"Nope. Just got you figured out is all."

"Well that's good, right?" He so hoped she'd say yes.

"Good, yes. But I don't recall you actually, well, ya know?"

"Oh, yeah, I know." He winced.

"Now what?" She returned her hands to her lap.

Jack's gaze followed with another erotic image. Oy!

"I could retire."

"Jack!"

"Well, I'm just saying, I mean it's possible . . . I still have the one Daniel notarized."

She gave her, 'don't be nuts' look.

"Yeah, see your point." Jack scrubbed his face.

"We are so screwed," Sam exhaled.

"Oy!"

"Sorry, bad word choice."

"You can say that again." He inched over and eased his arm around her. She rested her head on his shoulder and yawned.

"She wasn't there you know."

"Who?"

"Belju. When we were or weren't making love."

Jack glanced down. "You know that for sure?"

"Yeah. Heru'ur took me when you were in the shower. By the time you came out, he'd brought us back."

"Then you didn't fight the blending?"

"No. He was going to hand you over to Apophis, Jack."

"You would have died for me, Sam."

"And you for me."

"I'd die for anyone. But there's only one person I want to live for, Samantha O'Neill, that's you."

"I know." She gazed up at him, her glistening blue eyes revealing a love so powerful, so divine, he felt unworthy of her. Before their lips brushed, Jack realized he had to address one more issue.

As if aware of his intentions, Jack felt Sam tremor against him.

"Babe, until one of us leaves SG-1 we shouldn't make-"

"I know." She put a delicate finger to his parted lips.

"And you're okay with that, I mean?" He sure wasn't.

"No. But we are tough soldiers, flyboy. We'll do what we need to, right?"

"If you say so, Major."

"And as soon as we've rid the galaxy of the smarmy snakeheads I and one permanently retired Colonel O'Neill will go fishing and make babies."

Jack grinned at how Sam sounded like the exuberant wide-eyed major who'd waltzed into the briefing room four years ago and turned a table of Air Force officers to babbling mush.

"And then . . ."

"Carter?"

"Sir?"

"Shut up!"

"Make me!"

He did. ~*~

CHAPTER TWELVE! 'You gotta be kidding. . . Again!'

Three weeks later: October 20th

Level 19: Carter's Lab

~*~

"Hey, Carter!" Jack scratched his head and entered her lab. "Brought Jell-O and coffee." He set the tray on her work counter and made the rounds.

No Carter to be had. Oh, well. She'd show eventually, after all they had a scheduled meeting. He was supposed to sign off new equipment requisitions Sam couldn't live without. And it was Jack's weekend to baby sit the SGC, which usually meant minimal staff, peace and quiet. Well, nothing was written in stone around here, but so far the weekend proved uneventful. Teal'c was on Chulak trying to recruit more Jaffa to join the resistance. Daniel was buried in his books somewhere on or off base. While Carter, the workaholic that she was, kept him company without a complaint. Then again that's what married couples did, right? Not to mention they had a real date tonight. Well, he hoped so. After all, it was his birthday and their one month wedding anniversary. Sam said she had a surprise. Jack grinned, then mellowed. He knew what he wanted and also knew he so wasn't getting it. Sam wrapped up in a bow, naked. Yeah, now that would be some birthday present.

He couldn't believe how terrific things were between them. Yes, he could. It'd been great since the Halloween ball. Now it was fantastic. And when the day came they could go public and more importantly make love for real it would be awesome!

Meanwhile, they'd settled into a routine, which meant they played their CO and 2IC roles on base and off world like always. They had their numeric and letter codes down pat, not to mention their expressions. It was so perfect Jack often pinched himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming.

Work-wise, they disagreed and bickered like usual, but with an extra spark to fuel that fire. All bets were off. Not sleeping together had improved. They'd learned to deal with being apart at night for half the week but made up for it off world, when, it was only Teal'c and Daniel in tow. Jack swore Hammond was onto them as he'd been assigning new teams to off world assignments with SG-1. Yeah, those missions sucked.

Their intimate love life well, that was still on hold. They knew if they caved in, they'd lose respect for each other and then there was Sam's career. Jack wouldn't do anything to jeopardize her future aspirations. So they'd agreed to not kiss, make-out, or make love. So they occasionally blew the kissing and make-out rule, but someone always stopped before they went too far.

The major issue was a security breech. With Kinsey and the NID out to burn the SGC, phone conversations and pc's were monitored, let alone any other means of communication. They were even leery about Post-It-Notes.

Regarding mutual sexual frustrations, well, after much enjoyable experimentation, they found something doable. Sam had no qualms about their unconventional form of lovemaking. When not together, they set a specific time when they fantasized about making love. This proved freaky when they compared notes. They most often knew exactly how the other felt and when each had the big O. The other solution was more intimate. With the Asgard technology, Sam rigged two advanced Walkie Talkies. He and Sam verbally made love bringing each other to that euphoric high they could not physically indulge in. Sure, it wasn't perfect. But Jack always wore a goofy smile afterward, not to mention after their dawn wakeup calls. He was sure Hammond wondered why Carter had rosy cheeks at their early morning briefings. Wouldn't he like to know?

Yeah!

Jack stretched and yawned. For almost ten minutes, he played with his yoyo, switched to his Game Boy and then began strolling the lab. With Sam's magnifying glass, his gaze fastened on one of her newest alien doohickeys. He'd been itching to try it out. Apparently, it could elevate a person or object up to a ton. Way cool! He reached for it and encountered a sticky note. 'Hands off, Colonel!'

"Geez." He pulled back and looked for something else to tinker with. He found a few shiny baubles and began to juggle them. When one got hot to the touch, Jack quickly put them back. It was then he noticed her pc flickering and an open word document. He assumed it was one of Carter's techno babble reports. He grabbed his bowl of red Jell-O, shoved in his fork and then filled his mouth. Jack glanced back at Sam's laptop. When his brain recognized two syllable words, he dropped onto his favorite stool and pulled up to the screen.

'Sam's Diary: Personal entry.'

"Okay, Jack, time to walk away and-"

'. . . So he swaggers into the control room wearing his faded, yellow, polo shirt and those tangerine orange kaki's he talked me into buying him the week before, well, probably months ago now that I put things in perspective. Man, oh, man, I can't believe he's wearing them, here! He looks like a neon sign!'

"Hey! Orange is your favorite color!" Gulping Jell-O, he continued to read.

'Anyway, he also has on that flea bitten black, knit cap I keep tossing and he keeps digging out of the locker room garbage. Has it jammed halfway over his ears and his eyebrows-again. Will the man ever learn how to wear a knit cap? Like he's trying to burrow under it or something. He looks so dorky! Sheesh!'

"Dorky!?" Jack took a swig of coffee and fumed.

'So he has a form with him and I figure whatcha know, he actually finished a report!

He glances at his watch and then at Hammond.

Well, I'm curious.

Then again, Jack loves jerking Hammond's chain.

"Give it to the man," he crows all the time.

"Do not!"

Yeah, right! Like we don't have enough problems trying to get out of this freaking time loop and my CO's playing hooky-again! Sometimes, I just want to slap him stupid! Someday, he's going to be the 'man'. I can't wait for someone to dish it back.

Oh, umm, where was I?

"Colonel, what are you doing out of uniform?" asks Hammond.

"Handing in my resignation, George." Which he does.

Speechless, Hammond looks at the paper then at Jack.

Retired! Well, I am beyond curious. Annoyed is more the point! So I walked up and ask, "Sir, what are doing?"

He grabs me, dips me and kisses me!

Can you believe the nerve of this Irish ass?'

"Geez, Carter!" Jack was no longer hungry. His gut pitched.

'Of course, I can't resist a stolen, illegal; pull one on Carter kiss. So I slip my arm around him and kiss him back. Kissed him stupid, if I recall! And-'

"And then what?" Jack scrolled down the page, finding it blank and began hitting keys, wanting to know what else Sam thought and had said about him during that stolen kiss!

"And then she wrote it all up and waited for the underhanded, sneaky, conniving, cantankerous, irreverent, jackass to take the bait and choke on it!"

"Oh!" Jack gulped and looked up.

Sam stepped out of the shadows and swiped her ID card for the lab door's release. Jack watched it close. Sealing his fate. He spotted the zat in her hand.

Crap! He bolted off the stool and back-stepped from the desk. His eyes shot to the camera. "Major, might I remind you that we are under surveillance?"

"It's offline, Sir. No camera. No sound. No witnesses." She walked forward, flicked off the safety. The zat's barrel lifted into place.

"Carter." He glanced around for a means of escape. "You aren't serious?" Not that he thought she was, unless she wasn't really Carter.

"If you say so, Colonel." She wasn't smiling.

"Look, I can explain. In fact, I had every intention to tell you." His hands started directing traffic.

"When?"

"Eventually. In time-"

"When we were in rocking chairs in a nursing home?" She advanced, forcing him back between two shelves of equipment.

"Well . . . no, not that long. Just," he hit a wall and surrendered. "When I knew you could no longer use one of those, legally." He laughed.

She didn't.

"Strip!" She waved the zat.

"What?"

"You heard!" Sam was less than three feet away.

"I am not playing this revenge game any longer, Carter!"

"Jack?" her voice softened and she lowered the zat.

"What?" He so didn't trust her.

"If you take off your clothes, I'll take off mine." She began to hitch her black t-shirt from her waist.

"Um, and then what?"

"I get to play touch football with Porky Pig." She waggled her brows and smiled seductively.

Jack gulped. Oh, yeah, that could be fun. Especially since there had been no 'touchdowns' since they got married. Then again . . . "I'm not wearing Porky and we agreed no more hanky panky." He wagged a reprimanding finger. "We're Unites States Air Force Officers and this is so against regul-

With one swoop, Sam slipped her t-shirt over her head. She wasn't wearing a bra!

Dang! This was so unfair. His mouth ajar, Jack stared at what he'd not had privy to in weeks and wasn't supposed to for a very, very long time.

"Drop 'em, Sir!"

"Yeah. Okay!" He unhitched his belt, not taking his eyes of his goal, goals. "But first you got to tell me how you knew something only I knew that you couldn't know because you weren't there to know."

"Certainly." She started listing it off as if prerecorded. "Heru'ur didn't realize Belju was dying. When you were knocked unconscious by the pain stick, he decided to prove he meant to kill you if I didn't cooperate. Belju's original female host had died months before. She could only ingest the portion through a host. Meanwhile, Heru'ur's had a limited number of female Lotar whom had died as Belju's hosts. As his Horus guards had symbiotes, he couldn't afford to lose them. So, he-"

"Stuffed the snake down my throat," Jack finished glumly.

"Yeah." She still held the zat on him.

"I thought something had happened but couldn't remember." He scratched his neck and winced.

Sam came closer providing a better view.

Jack tried to keep his eyes on her face, but failed. Yeah!

"Belju promised she'd leave you soon as she'd taken the potion. She said because she hadn't blended with you, you wouldn't remember anything. However, she did merge with you long enough to know some of the more recent events in your life."

"Ah hah, the time loop and my stolen kiss."

"Yes," Sam's voice was firmer, harder. So was a particular part of his wife's anatomy.

"Which she shared with you? That snake in the grass!"

"I don't think that's what she intended. But when you forced her to leave me, she hadn't time to erase what experiences or thoughts she didn't want me to remember."

"Umm, I'm so sorry, Sam." He offered a hand as peace offering almost touching her.

"Oh, I know that." She eluded his fingertips and waved the zat. "And just to show I've forgiven you, I got you a birthday present."

"Really?" He smirked when she handed over a gift bag, complete with white tissue paper and large peridot colored bow.

Reaching inside Jack extracted his gift. His eyes bugged out and he gaped at her. "You gotta be kidding!"

"Me kid? Never! Revenge is a dessert best served cold, Sir. So strip! Now!"

"Yeee-ah sure yabetcha." Jack bent over untying his boots, praying for heavenly intervention. Somehow, he figured God enjoyed this way too much.

~*~

Jack stepped into the elevator willing, praying for it to not stop until he it hit Level twenty-five. He needed to get to the men's locker room. Four more floors to go and . . .Ah crap! Level Twenty! One freaking floor! The elevator stopped. The door opened.

Doctor Janet Fraiser stepped in, looked at Jack, opened her mouth, hit the close button and smiled.

"So help me, Doc, you say one word I'll-"

"My needles are bigger than Homer," squeaked passed her lips, and she covered her mouth.

"Funny." His back to the wall, Jack kept both hands over his crotch and stared at the blinking floor lights, willing the ancient elevator to speed up. There were a dozen facetious remarks he wanted to shoot back at Fraiser, but he hated her needles. He also assumed the Napoleonic warmonger was in on Sam's revenge. Not that Janet knew the reason for Sam's retribution, just, that, his present state of humiliation was such a Janet ruse.

Jack felt her staring. Donning his best intimidating CO face, he glared back. She cleared her throat and began to hum the Simpson theme. He was so close to strangling a fellow officer.

"Um, happy birthday, Colonel."

Jack snorted.

Janet grinned.

The elevator stopped.

Level Twenty-one.

Whoopee! Jack held his breath. Shut his eyes. When he opened them, Siler was gaping.

"Up, Siler?" Jack groused as Janet launched herself past him and out of sight, laughing.

"Apparently you're not, Colonel," the sergeant snickered at Homer's smiling face, turned and walked off. "Oh, and happy birthday, Sir."

"So help me!" Jack swore and hit the button. If he made it to the locker room and got dressed without running into any brass, he would kiss Carter stupid. He couldn't believe after what she'd done-was doing to him on his birthday no less! He wanted to kiss her and a whole lot more. A silly grin slithered across his face.

The elevator stopped on level twenty-three. What was this, a major conspiracy? Well that's clich, Jack.

The door opened.

Daniel! Without even glancing at him, the bookworm slid his pass for level 25 and returned his attention to an open book.

"Daniel," Jack muttered from his corner.

"Um, what, Jack?"

"Notice anything strange?"

Daniel glanced over, looked at Jack and shrugged. "Yeah, didn't know you could get Homer in a thong. Hey, when'd you give up boxers? Like don't those ride up your-"

Jack glared.

"Sam?" Daniel grimaced, looking over his glasses.

"Ya think?"

The elevator rumbled to a stop.

"Give me your shirt wilya?"

"Ah, nope. Still suffering from caffeine withdrawal." Daniel snorted. "Hey, you know most guys your age got love handles. You don't. Hope I'm so lucky when I'm that old-"

"Danny."

"A word of advice."

"Shut up!"

"Fuchsia's not your best color, kinda washes you out." Daniel gave him an over all icky look.

Furious, Jack shifted to jump his best friend and snatched the book instead.

Level twenty-five!

The door opened.

"Colonel O'Neill!"

Jack's jaw hung ajar and failed to shut. Hammond was supposed to be in Washington!

"Sir?" he finally choked-out holding the book over his crotch, realizing his butt was naked as a babe's.

Daniel made a beeline past Hammond, who never took his eyes off Jack. Jack couldn't remember seeing the general's blue eyes that dark or his head that red.

"What is the meaning of this?" The Texan waved a hand at Jack's bare necessities.

"Um, well, got locked out of my quarters, Sir."

"In your skivvies?"

"Well, yes, it's actually quite funny. Ya see-"

"Colonel!"

"Yes, Sir?" Jack saluted with the book.

"Get out of that elevator and get dressed!"

"Yes, Sir. Right away, Sir." Jack backed out, holding the book over his butt.

"And if I ever see you wearing non-regulations skivvies again, there will be hell to pay!"

"Yes. Of course, General, Sir!"

Jack ran into the locker room and breathed a sigh of relief.

~*~

George smirked and entered the elevator laughing his head off. Carter had told him she was preparing payback for a prank her CO had pulled on her while off world. George had given his blessing. The only thing, she'd mentioned was it would involve Homer Simpson. Now he knew why. Shaking his head, he couldn't help wonder just what Jack had done to his major to endure such wrath, on his birthday no less.

Then again, maybe he could.

~*~

Jack secured a bath towel around his waist and opened his locker. He reached for his extra skivvies only to find a Post-it-Note. 'You agreed to wear it all day!'

"Geez, Carter!" Jack scrunched up the note and took out his blue BDU's. Five minutes later he was dressing a boot and wincing as the string rode up his rear end.

The claxon siren went off!

"Attention, all personal, off world activation. Unauthorized incoming worming hole!" A skipped beat, "Foothold Sierra Golf Charlie. Repeat, Foothold Sierra Golf Charlie. This is not a drill!"

"For cryin' out loud!" Jack dropped his booted foot and ran from the locker room. Corridor doors were shutting down. Lights flickered and the emergency lightening kicked in. As he approached the sealed Gate Room, an SF handed Jack a P-90 and zat. Jack released the safety, spotting Major Ferretti at the sealed door.

"What we got, Ferretti?"

"Re'tu, Sir. Six of them."

"That's impossible!"

"Yeah well, they walked right through the shield this time."

Frowning, Jack took a head count. He had fourteen armed SF's. "Control Room?"

"Locked down, Sir." Siler approached with his weapon locked and loaded.

"Any personnel in here?" Jack indicated the Gate Room.

"They've got Carter," Ferretti informed him.

"Okay. Don't fire until I give the signal." He took point and motioned the SF to scan his security card.

The Gate Room door slid open. His P-90 aimed Jack took a few cautious steps into the dark room and signaled Ferretti and Siler.

Before Jack could react, the gut ache hit him.

"Surprise!!" voices rang out, "Happy birthday, Colonel O'Neill!!"

The lights went on.

A light flashed in Jack's astounded face. Daniel's freaking Polaroid camera!

Jack lowered his weapons. The room was filled with people, lots of people. In the midst General Hammond, Daniel, Janet, Cassie and Carter stood around a huge sheet cake with way too many candles. Colorful streamers and balloons hung from the rafters. Jack felt like he was seven instead of forty-seven.

"Happy birthday, Jack," Ferretti slapped him hard across the shoulders. "Don't ya just love this place?"

Slack-jawed, Jack staggered from the brotherly swat as Siler sheepishly took his P-90. "Oh, yeah, just peachy." He feigned a smile, chanting silently, 'Carter's dead, Carter's so dead. . !'

The SF's, airmen and airwomen who'd escorted Jack, congratulated him and joined the rest of the SCG staff and teams who'd managed to show for the party.

Jack stalked toward his people. Before he could say something sarcastic, Hammond came up and shook his hand. "Happy birthday, son."

"Thank you, Sir." Jack forged a smile.

"It's been a rough few months, especially for you, Jack, so when your team pointed out you had a birthday this weekend, I decided it was as good an excuse as any to throw a party for the SGC."

"So I was your lame duck, Sir?" Jack felt a real smile creep across his face. Yeah, that he could handle.

"Actually it was Major Carter's suggestion. She said you love surprises."

"Oh, she did, huh?" Jack glared at Daniel who was looking smug and Janet who was glancing at her shoes smiling.

Walter walked up and distracted the general. He nodded and turned to Jack. "If you'll excuse me."

"Certainly, Sir." Jack exhaled and turned on his friends. "You know I hate surprises!"

"Yep," Janet agreed none too seriously.

"Where is she?"

"Serving punch," Daniel pointed out eagerly.

Jack spotted Sam with a tray of filled plastic glasses. When she engaged his gaze, she grinned. Jack delivered his 'you're dead,' glint and then was interrupted.

"Happy birthday, Dad." Cassie flung herself at him.

Dad! Yeah that had taken some getting used to. About five seconds. Cassie had begun calling Jack, uncle and then one day Dad in front of his team and Janet. Jack gently corrected her, but then realized she'd done it intentionally and with a need only he could fill.

"Hey, there, Sunshine," he whisked her up into his arms enjoying the love she gave him. Cassie accepted Jack for who he was with no expectations, even though, she had him on a pedestal he repeatedly tumbled off of. More important, she considered him her dad. And despite the fact there was nothing romantic between him and doc, he thought of Cassie as his daughter.

In regards to the dad issue, Janet, Jack and Sam had talked it out. After consulting Doctor Mackenzie, they agreed to let Cassie call Jack whatever she wanted. He knew that at times it was hard on Sam. She'd really wanted to adopt Cassie herself. Now four years later, Cassie was coming into her own and her need for a good male role model seemed stronger than ever. Jack had regretted not acting upon his paternal instincts sooner with her, but it had all worked out. Whenever Janet needed a father's advice or straight intervention Jack got the call. Best of all, many of those calls came straight from Cassandra. When Jack was on earth, not a day went by when they didn't talk or hangout, even if for a meal and most often with Sam.

"Glad you came, Cass." He brushed her long brown hair from her eyes and grinned, loving her.

"Me too. You're not mad are, ya?" The gangly fifteen-year held onto him as if she were eleven again.

"Now why would you say that?" He arched a brow as her arms hugged his neck.

"Coz, you hate being surprised." Two sets of brown eyes locked and held the others knowingly.

"Guess I'll make an exception, especially if it includes my favorite girl." He kissed her forehead.

"You mean Sam?" she murmured as he walked them away from the crowd and settled on a folding chair providing some privacy.

Jack flinched. Nothing got past Cassie. Jack and Sam had been denying her insinuations for years, but it didn't detour or discourage the teenager from making her point as often as possible.

"I meant you." He blew a raspberry against her cheek, extracting a giggle from the other girl in his life.

"Way cool! But you should go thank your 'other' girl." She motioned to where Sam reloaded the empty tray. "She's worried about how you'd react."

"Oh," he mouthed and nodded, rearranging her on his lap. The motion caused the dang thong to ride higher. "Well, she has reason to," he winked at Cassandra. "But I'll go easy on her." He waggled his brows.

"You do that," she whispered conspiratorially, "Coz she loves you, Dad."

"Says who?" He glanced Sam's way.

"Straight from the horse's mouth," she snickered. "Don't worry. I know about the freaking regs and still think they suck, especially where you two are concerned."

"Hey, hey, watch your mouth, young lady."

Cassie dismissed his discipline and rolled her eyes. "You guys need to do something about it and soon. I'm not getting any younger ya know."

Jack wanted to share the truth about their marriage, but couldn't. "I'd like nothing better, but for now, things have to stay the way they are, Sunshine."

"Fine. Fine." She pouted.

Jack delivered his paternal 'hey chill' look.

The fifteen-year-old traced the cleft of Jack's jaw, the touched the one in her chin. "Um, we really could pass as father and daughter, you know."

"Yes we could." Jack dismissed her reference to their physical similarities, but had long been aware of them.

"So we going fishing next weekend?" she asked eagerly.

"Ya sure yabetcha." He chuckled and hugged Cassie tighter, feeling life couldn't get much sweeter, yet knowing it could, if this beautiful girl was his daughter for real. So many children had come and gone in Jack's life and still he hadn't one to truly call his own, besides Charlie, who now sang with the angels at God's throne. His heart lurched as he thought about the others. Wise Re'tu Charlie, who had to remain with To'kra, who was To'kra. Jack had yet to like that fact, but it kept Charlie alive and for that he remained grateful. Sweet Merrin, who didn't remember him, but they were making headway. Yeah. And however unfair, he had Cassie. Sam had Cassie. That was something good, right? Someday God willing, he and Sam would have their own brood of O'Neills.

Jack's heart twisted sharply. Heck, you're forty-seven going on a hundred, Jack, way too old to become a new dad. The heartache Jack kept buried squirmed to the surface, but Jack dropkicked it back in place. He was good at that. Yeah.

"Dad?" Cassie yanked his dog tags.

"Sorry, Sunshine, the old mind wandered off base." He pressed a convincing grin.

"Noticed." She finger combed his undisciplined hair like Sam would. "Hey, I bought this shiny new lure that will wine and dine that big old bass right into my net."

"Ya think?" He chuckled.

"Double Pepperoni Pizza or nothing." She giggled.

"You're on."

Cassie planted a kiss on his cheek and asked softer, "Dad?" She wiggled further into his embrace, nuzzling his blue-shadowed jaw.

"What?" He knew her 'I want' tone. If he kept giving into her, he'd have to refinance his house!

"I love, mom, really I do. She's wonderful, but I feel like if you and Sam were my full-time parents, things would be different. I know we'd be happy together, really."

Jack's jaw loosened. Oh, here we go again! He looked into the youth's golden brown eyes. It was weird how he saw so much of Sam in this alien child. Little things, like the way she tilted her head, flayed her hands at her hips when mad, and lately the turtledove chin tuck. No doubt, gestures picked up from hanging with Sam. But sometimes like now, he swore even her voice and attitude were Carter's. Yeah, this wise, beautiful girl he so often wished was his own, had him lock, stock and barrel, just like Sam.

Jack cleared his throat and tried to be firm. Another thing he found difficult to do with Cassie and she knew it.

"Cassie, we've talked this talk before. First off, Janet loves you more than life and so discussing this with her present is not polite. Secondly, our jobs are dangerous. We're off world more than we're home. Living with Janet, you have normalcy and routine. It's important too-"

She sighed out and did that Sam chin thingy and then fanned her lashes. Dang! He'd been hoodwinked. "Okay spill. What won't Janet buy you?"

Cassie worried his dog tags. "See there's this blue mini-skirt outfit at the mall that is like so cool-"

"Nah ah!" He attempted to ease out of her tangled web of arms and legs and failed. "I don't buy mini anything, let alone for you, Sunshine! If I had my way, you'd be wearing baggy sweats and a baseball cap the rest of your life!"

"But, Dad," she bellyached, refusing to relent.

"No butts, Cass!" Jack glanced up to find Sam and Janet facing them with broad grins.

"See she's test-driving the mini-skirt line on you, Sir." Janet snickered, and then gave Cassie a reprimanding glint.

"Sorry," Cassie sighed against Jack's jaw.

"No you're not." He smirked and affectionately pushed her off his lap, slapping her behind, recalling the two years ago when he had really walloped her butt for smoking in his spare bedroom.

"I love you bunches." She winked.

"Ditto." He chuckled shaking his head.

"Hey, now that I got my driving temps we have a behind the wheel date Tuesday. And . . . Ya still owe me a trip to the mall, Dad." She smirked and sauntered off with Janet.

"Yes, Ma'am." He gave her a sloppy salute and laughed. "Teaching her to drive is going to be scarier than fighting replicas," he groused to Sam.

"Tell me about it." She grinned in Cassie's direction. "Glad we're all taking turns."

"Yeah." Jack stood up and looked at Sam, who conveniently shoved a glass of punch in his free hand, while he jammed the other in his pocket to keep from touching her.

"So." He pursed his lips and tipped his head toward the cake and decorations. "You've been a busy camper, Major."

"Slow weekend." She smiled and then sipped her punch. By the bloom on her cheeks, Jack sensed she worried that she'd professionally overstepped her bounds. No doubt with anyone else, she would have. But considering what he'd done to her, he was surprised she hadn't just zapped him. It'd been a lot easier.

"Yeah." He nudged her and surveyed the Gate Room. "Tight fit . . .getting everyone in here," he said with dual meaning and swiveled his hips bumping hers slightly.

"Too tight?" She eyeballed him with a smirk.

"Let's just say, I'll never complain about Doc checking my prostate again."

Her blues flashed with mirth before she turned back to survey the gathering. Jack did the same. Hearing the laughter, seeing the smiling faces of folks he spent most of his time with felt good. Whether they were here for him or the cake didn't matter. It was good being Jack O'Neill; it was good to be alive. Yeah, he was blessed beyond measure and couldn't help send a prayer heavenward. Thanks!

"You're welcome," the familiar voice resounded in his heart.

Glancing around Jack spotted Cassie and Janet hugging and laughing, Siler and Walter discussing something, no doubt hockey scores with Ferretti. Daniel and Felger were debating . . . whatever. Jack watched his best buddy wave his hands about like he was directing traffic. Um, someone else he knew did that, but couldn't recall whom. Didn't Daniel know how lame that looked? Geez!

He wished Teal'c were here, but knew what he was doing was far more important. Recruiting for the Jaffa Resistance on Chulak could backfire. Jack hadn't felt good about the one man, mission from the start. They had twenty hours before Teal'c's scheduled return. Trouble was Apophis' spies were everywhere. Jack relied on two things for his friend's safety, Teal'c uncanny instincts and wisdom, and God. Please watch over T.

Meanwhile, Jack tried not to think about whether or not Heru'ur had made it out alive. No doubt, chrome dome had. Those cursed snakeheads had the best luck. Jack's worst fear was that Apophis and Heru'ur would make some sort of compromise. That could be darn right ugly. Two united egomaniacs. Just peachy!

Jack stole a glance at his 2IC. The main reason he felt blessed. She was here and he decided to appreciate every moment they had, no matter how it was given to them. Besides what went into their reports, they'd yet to discuss their experiences with Belju sifting through the onion layers of their memoirs. Even in the interim the Tokra had occupied Jack's head, he'd learned things about Sam he assumed she'd rather he not know. And clearly, the same had happened with the few recollections Belju had accessed during her first blending with him.

Still neither would admit anything and Jack no longer worried what Sam had discovered. He didn't want any more secrets between them. Whatever, she knew hadn't been bad enough to make her pack up and leave Dodge. For that, he was grateful. Yeah. Jack tipped his hat to the Keeper of The Stars. 'Thanks, Lord.'

One important revelation had been unveiled from Belju's brief body snatching. Jack sensed, no he knew without doubt that he and Sam's lives were far more interwoven than he'd ever imagined possible. Sam shared the same vivid dreams he'd had these last fifteen years. Dreams of tender passion as well as fear, pain, horror and above all lose. A lose that to this day he often consciously experienced, but could not identify.

Jack sniffed as a maverick tear wet his cheek. Crap! He stole a quick glance at Sam, relived she didn't notice and if she did, he'd write it off to sentimentality. Yeah, like she'd buy that whooping fib.

Hands jammed in his front pockets, he rocked on his heels until he felt the need to scratch a particular deep itch of his anatomy. Dang!

"Carter?"

"Sir?"

"I've never seen Homer in a g-thingy before," he murmured.

"It's a thong."

"Whatever." He scrunched his face with physical discomfort. "I can't believe people think these things are comfortable."

"I do." Sam grinned.

Jack's mouth opened, closed, and then just well, hung ajar.

"Sir, you're drooling."

"Funny." He snapped his jaw shut trying to swim free of the erotic visions washing over him. He finally cleared his mind and throat. "So where'd ya get it?"

"On eBay."

"You gotta be kidding!"

"Nope. It's amazing what you can order online, Sir. But your Homer is a one of a kind."

"Well, that's a load off the gray matter."

She laughed softly. "Yeah, this seamstress, Carol Sue, sews them out of her home, she crochets too. I told her what I wanted and voila! Hey, if you want she'll crochet a table doily with your name."

"Oy! No thanks."

"Party pooper."

"Ya think?"

"Here's what I think, Sir . . ." Standing against the Control Room's main wall, Sam's left hand snaked around and goosed him beneath his blue BDU shirt.

"Ow!" Jack snatched her hand and held tight before letting go. "You're so enjoying this, aren't you?" He discreetly rubbed his bruised cheek.

"Yeah sure yabetcha." She winked.

"Makes me love you more, Carter." He smiled as their gazes locked and loaded with mutual passion.

"And you think I'm evil." She winked and glanced back at the party.

"Speaking of evil, Major. That um diary?"

"What about it?" She sipped her punch.

"All those vicious things you said about me."

"Yes?"

"You mean it?"

"Inferiority complex, Colonel?"

"No! Umm . . . Just . . . Well, didn't think you saw me in that annoying way."

"You'd be amazed how I see you." She licked her lips suggestively.

"And still love me?" he whispered with a crooked grin.

"For sure."

"But you don't like my tangerine khakis?"

"Adore them."

"Nice." He smiled.

"My stocking cap?"

Sam snorted.

"Oh." His mouth ironed out. "Well, next time I have to dig it out of the locker room garbage, I'll know where to find you."

"Counting on it, Sir."

"So we even Steven, Carter?" Jack glanced from the corner of his eyes.

"For now. The night's young." She winked. "So are we."

"Well, there you go. So, we still on for dinner?"

"Yep."

"Excellent!" Life was good! Looking around, Jack spied Jay Felger on the move with Sam in his crosshairs. Jack aimed a 'don't even think about it' glint at the lovesick puppy. Fortunately, Sam didn't notice when the scientist flinched and walked away.

"Hey, everyone, we've got a double chocolate cake to cut. So get the birthday boy over here," Cassie yelled out.

"Geez," Jack reddened, "So help me, if you expect me to make a wish or start singing Happy birthday, I'm outta here!"

"Attention, incoming Wormhole!"

"Yes! Saved by the bell!" Jack made an exaggerated hand jerk in the air.

"Sir." Sam frowned at his childish antic.

"Hey, I'll kiss whoever comes through the toilet bowl." He chafed his hands when the chevrons on the gate began to rotate.

"Deal." Sam winked as they moved the tables clear of the ramp before the event horizon swooshed into the room.

"Chevron six encoded . . ."

Jack wondered what was up. This was one rare day when there were no off world missions. Everyone but the Alpha site team was home and accounted for. Jack glanced into the Control Room. Hammond appeared at ease about whoever their visitor was, let alone in the middle of Jack's party. He got a gut ache. Jack glanced at his wife, who stood there smiling, her blues sparkling with anticipation. Daniel looked expectantly at Jack.

He shrugged, assuming it was Teal'c.

"Well?" Sam elbowed him.

"Yeah, sure. I'll kiss whoever long as it's human. But on the face, no butt cheeks." He'd kissed Teal'c before and could do it again. Yeah.

"That'll due."

"Cheveron eight . . ."

Hammond walked up alongside them. "Got a guest for a couple of weeks, people, seems that-."

Before he could finish Jacob Carter strolled through the gate in his USAF green BDU's.

"You knew!" Jack accused Sam who was looking naively at her boots.

"Of course, Sir."

"This sucks."

Everyone stepped forward and shook hands yadda, yadda.

"Hey, Kiddo, how's it going?" Jacob latched onto Sam.

"Glad you're here, Dad." She hugged back.

"Hey, thought I could use a few weeks R&R with my favorite daughter."

His arm linked around Sam, Jacob turned to Jack. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks, Jacob." He couldn't forget their last irate exchange and assumed Dad wanted to pickup where they'd left off. It was even more unnerving that he appeared calm, cool and collected. Worse, he smiled at Jack as if he liked him or something. Had he missed another memo?

"Oh, this is from Charlie," Jacob presented him with a gift. "He wanted to be here, but is in negotiations with the Retu rebels 'Mother' had organized before her death."

"That's our boy." Smiling, Jack took the present but chose not to open it here.

"And Charlie said this for you, Sam." Jacob gave her a smaller gift.

Jack looked over her shoulder and grinned. Sam glanced back and nodded at their silent pack to open them together later.

Selmak dropped in. "We received the report of Belju's death. She was a viable asset to our war against the Goa'uld. Her loss is regretful. Her contributions will be missed."

Jack winced.

Sam's eyes misted.

"Yeah, well . . ." Jack bit back what he really wanted to say and instead shrugged.

Carter nudged him and it wasn't about Belju.

'Um, Jacob?"

"Jack?"

He stepped over, grabbed Sam's father in a brotherly embrace and then-kissed him-on the check.

Jacob pulled free. "Well-I won't ask what that was about."

"Don't," Jack mumbled.

The elder Carter eyed-balled Jack as if he'd grown two heads, but then smiled when he met Sam's laughing eyes.

Daniel snickered.

Cassie giggled.

"So," Hammond cleared his throat. "Let's have that cake, Colonel."

"Do I have to?" Jack rolled his eyes.

"That's an order!" George snickered.

Cassie looped her arm in Jack's and dragged him toward the cake Siler was lighting with a blowtorch. Okay, so it was one of those fire starter wand thingy's. Jack envisioned the Gate Room bursting into flames because of his candle-frosted cake.

~*~

Arm-in-arm with Dad, Sam watched her husband's stiff but sexy gait. Knowing what he wore beneath his BDU's made her hot. Homer never had it so good. Ah, payback had its bennies. And being married to Jack O'Neill was the best benny of all.

"Hey, Carter, grab a fire extinguisher!" he barked as he failed to defuse the trick candles, surrounded by a laughing audience of over a hundred hungry coworkers.

"Coming, Sir."

After retrieving the extinguisher, Sam found the man she loved, bent over his blazing cake with one arm around Cassie, blowing his heart out and grinning like a ten-year old. The lyrics of Jack's love song tripping through her head, Sam knew without a doubt . . .

'It was no accident me finding you. Someone had a hand in it Long before we ever knew . . ."

The End. . . . Nada!

126

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 6 - Conflict Of The Heart by HailDorothy
Conflict Of The Heart - Part 6 - Chosen Heart Series

Conflict Of The Heart - Part 6 - Chosen Heart Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: After almost losing Sam to the Entity, Jack confronts his ability to be an effective CO and makes a critical decision that could change the future of SG-1 and most of all, his and Sam's.
Category: Angst, Filk/Song, Humor, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 114 Singularity, 410 Beneath the Surface, 412 Tangent, 420 Entity
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-30

Title: Conflict of the Heart a novella of the Chosen Hearts Series Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Warning: Usual SG-1 language - Jack's mouth Season: 4 Spoilers: 114 Singularities/401-420 Entity Rating: PG-13 Warning: Usual SG-1 language, sexual content Pairing: S/J Friendship, Comfort, Romance, Angst, humor Supporting characters: Daniel, Oma, Janet, and General Hammond

Summary of: Conflict of the Heart: After almost losing Sam to the Entity, Jack confronts his ability to be an effective CO and makes a critical decision that could change the future of SG-1 and most of all, his and Sam's.

Summary of the Chosen Hearts Series: This is an established storyline in which Jack and Sam fell in love during Jack's retirement. When Jack is re-commissioned and Sam inadvertently assigned his subordinate, they pretend to be strangers and put their wannabe lovers relationship on hold. Little do they realize it will not be a matter of months, but years, before they can follow through on the desire of their chosen hearts.

Author's Note: With a few obvious exceptions, I remain true to canon.

Song: 'I Hate You Then I Love You' Celine Dion and Luciano Pavarotti, Copyright 1997 Hey, remember Jack loves Opera!

Note: There is a lot of angst going on here, but plenty O'Neill wit and a guaranteed or your money back happy ending!

Appreciation: To Susie B. and Carol Sue who are the greatest betas, and keep me humble in your own perverted ways.

To Almighty God, You gave me the gift of the bards and I'm forever thankful!

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series may include script excerpts from the TV Series 'Stargate SG-1.' This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy 2004 (c).

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please??? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

*~*

'PROLOGUE'

Year: 2000

"Crap! This sucks!" Daniel's voice grated as he drifted out of the ventilator shaft. Flying about the room, he gently brushed Jack's stubble jaw. O'Neill sat upright in the hard chair, swatted at the invisible pesky fly and muttered a curse.

Any other time, Daniel would have laughed. But there was nothing funny about this trip down memory lane. So much for not being able to interact with the past, Daniel just had. So what else had Oma conveniently miss-communicated?

"Daniel Jackson, the further we approach your ascension the more you sound like Jack O'Neill."

"Hey, what'd ya expect, Oma? We've covered nearly four years of their lives. I could start spouting, 'Man oh man, or holy Hannah,' if you'd like."

Oma chuckled softly, "If you choose to sound like one or the other I prefer it be your own gender."

"Fine." He sighed and settled at Sam's bedside. Looking at her peaceful pale countenance, he leaned over and kissed her warm cheek, willing her to awaken and see him.

Sam's reactive sigh was barely audible but Jack heard and scouted over, stroking her delicate boned forearm, his face contorting in emotional pain. "Hope it's a pleasant dream, Sam," he whispered hoarsely.

Seeing the agony in Jack's eyes caused Daniel to close his own and shake his head with long heartfelt regret. What he wouldn't give to undo his wrong doings and to have spared them this pain. He glanced back at Jack. More gray splattered his brown hair since the last visit. Why, his best buddy seemed to have aged the past few days. Emotional despair stripped the light from his deep brown eyes, while physical and mental exhaustion extended the stress lines in his rugged tan features.

Yet, amid that scarring, Jack O'Neill was a man hopelessly in love with his 2IC. Daniel saw something else too. He'd seen that hell-bent resolve in Jack's face before. It now wore his irrational 'make my day' expression. In other words, Jack had made a major decision and there was no turning back. Daniel didn't like it!

His mentor rolled her transparent blue eyes. "You don't want to be here, do you?"

"Nice you noticed." Daniel snorted. "Oma, I'm the reason Sam's in this infirmary bed. The reason the Entity chose her. The reason she almost died and why the man, who's as close to being the brother I never had," he pointed at the exhausted Jack. "Hates my guts and would have killed me with his bare hands had he the opportunity," Daniel voice raised an octave or more, "So yeah, I'm really, really not happy to be here!"

Oma sighed and settled alongside him. "Daniel Jackson, you give yourself way too much credit."

"Ah, well, this isn't about my ego, Oma." He glanced back at Sam and sighed.

"Nor is this your fault. As you have seen from the past events, Samantha and Jack make their own choices. You had little bearing on the paths that brought them to this place and time."

"You know I'm pretty sick of your single minded lecture of it being no one else's fault but their own." Daniel crossed his arms and glared at her.

"I didn't say they were not influenced by you, Daniel Jackson. As conscious beings the people who cross our paths and the events that shape our lives influence us all. But in the end we alone are responsible for the path we choose. It is the Creator's way. He knew their decision before they made it. More important, He can make beauty from ashes."

"Then prove it!"

"I shall. Or should I say, Jack and Samantha will."

*~*

CHAPTER ONE INFIRMARY: 2200 Hours:

She was asleep.

Still.

Wearily, Colonel Jack O'Neill scrubbed his calloused hands over his three-day stubble, up into his military cut and then sighed. Shifting his lean weight, he swung his long legs over the infirmary cot, shoved off and took his preferable watch in the chair beside Carter's bed. He'd tried to sleep but couldn't. Pulling the ballpoint from his pocket, he hunched forward, elbows propped on his thighs, clicking and waiting. Waiting for his 2IC to open her baby blues and mumble, "Sir?"

Yeah.

Was that asking too freaking much? He glanced heavenward. He hoped not.

O'Neill drew another haggard sigh. Sam's chest rose and fell with each natural inhaled breath, her breaths, no longer forced by a hard plastic tube rammed down her small throat. He'd been here before, in the infirmary's secured observation room in this chair, watching Sam with hoses and wires regulating her breathing, keeping her alive. Even though the worst was over, he couldn't leave her.

Not now.

Not after all that happened.

He had to be sure she was really okay, that they were, okay.

Fraiser had reassured him that Sam was fine more than once the last few hours. She'd insisted he go home and at least try to get some sleep. Jack refused. So without a word she brought him a cot. And despite her discretion the gossiping infirmary staff had long passed on the news that Colonel Jack O'Neill was spending the night, not just on a chair, but in a bed beside his female 2IC.

Well Jack no longer cared what anyone thought about his unprofessional conduct toward Carter. Far as he was concerned they could all take a flying leap. For three days, he'd been above board, even to Hammond. But twelve hours ago the general's words had finalized his latest decision.

'"Jack?"

"Sir?"

"We may have to make some difficult choices. I know that Major Carter means a great deal to you."

"She's a very valuable member of my team, Sir." Jack maintained his poker face, but knew his eyes gave him away. Hammond read between the lines. Dang telepathic Texan!

"Yes, she is." Hammond nodded soberly and looked away, turning a blind eye.

With that Jack strode off, snapping his folder against his thigh in frustration. Inside, he was hurting. Hammond knew it. What had George wanted from him? To confess he cared for Carter as more than an officer and friend?'

Care?

Heck!

Try flat out, in your face buddy, no-holds-barred, "I'm I love with my 2IC, Sir! And did I mention she's my wife?"

Hammond was no fool. Despite the vagueness of their Zatarcy reports, including Fraiser's, Hammond knew. He'd not addressed the issue until today. That's when Jack realized how transparent he'd become regarding Carter, too transparent for anyone's good, especially hers.

Twenty-five minutes later putting God, country and earth above all else, Jack killed the woman he loved! Once again, the general seemed indifferent to what lied beneath the surface between his 2IC and the major. Meanwhile, Fraiser, Teal'c and Daniel had witnessed how close Jack had come to losing his military faade as well as his mind.

Jack was still angry with Daniel. He didn't know how he would reconcile with his buddy. Didn't think he wanted too. He'd not even raised his voice at the linguist who'd been willing to risk Sam's life in order to communicate with an alien life form. No, he'd just stopped talking to the man who'd put the advancement of science above the life of the woman with whom Jack was in love.

In love with Sam.

That's all Jack wanted.

He didn't want to be an Air Force CO, let alone Carter's. He had wanted to kick, scream and cry when he thought he'd lost her. Instead, he'd kept his heart in check, including his tears. He'd stayed strong for Sam. In control. That's what Carter would have wanted. That's what Carter got. For twenty-hours Jack kept vigil by her bedside. Janet had said Sam was officially brainstem dead. The only thing keeping her alive was the ventilator. Jack kept his tired eyes on Sam, praying. He believed in God. Believed there was a benevolent supreme Creator, whom beside Jack and S.G.C. cared whether Samantha Jean Carter lived or died.

Yeah.

On the other side of Sam's vitals monitor or whatever they called it, a tearfully Janet Fraiser had informed Jack that Sam had made a living will. No extraordinary means-no intervention-no heroic measures-nada-nothing-that's what she wanted.

Jack knew that! He knew more than anyone else about his 2IC, about this brainy passionate woman. Just because they'd agreed to leave it in the room, didn't mean they stopped loving each other. It had meant, that here at SGC and off world it was business as usual. It meant stolen intimate smiles and him saying, "I know," or their joint pat line, "Forever okay."

It had taken both Jack and Teal'c nearly turning into Popsicles on that run-a-way Goa'uld death glider to make him realize and then to confront Sam with what they'd buried for too long, but jointly decided that for now the Stargate project and mankind came first. No one, except Daniel and Teal'c knew about their private vows taken on Chulak a few days later. Vows that united them as husband and wife, forever.

As Sam's best friend and physician Janet knew more than Jack liked. Sure, he loved Janet as a friend. And medically there was no else he wanted jamming needles into him. Not that he'd ever admit it to the doc. No way! The power-hungry-blood sucking- shortstop was smug enough.

But Jack's less than tactful private nature had issues with Janet's intimate knowledge of him and Sam. It had become a sore spot between them since the stupid lie detector incident. Mainly because it had confirmed what the observant doctor had long suspected. Jack and Sam were in love with each other. It wasn't that Janet disapproved, more importantly it was against military regulations. Like Sam and him, Janet was a by-the-book Air Force officer and he respected that.

Regardless, as Sam's physician Janet knew Jack was executor of Sam's will. So did Hammond. That was expected. With Jacob working with the Tokra and her relationship with her brother Mark still on shaky ground, Jack was listed as closet kin, which on another world he was. Sam had informed Janet that if any type of critical situation occurred, even nonmilitary related, Jack was the sole decision maker of when to let her go. But then, when it happened, Jack hated Sam for putting him in that position. Hadn't she realized he would fight it? Now he knew that's what she'd counted on. If anyone would look for options to keep her alive, it would be the man who loved her, the man whom she loved, the man she respected and who had earned her trust and devotion.

He re-called the earlier events. After Jack threatened to send the probes to destroy the Entity's world, it released Carter sending her into the mainframe, she was alive, but that didn't rid Jack of the guilt and shame. Every time he shut his eyes, he saw that alien daring him to fire at Sam. He'd shot once with the zat to stun her, but the Entity hadn't been phased by the blast. Two shots would kill. Jack hesitated. Knowing Sam would have done the same for humanity, Jack fired the final blast. The instant Sam's lifeless form crumbled to the floor, Jack died too.

First he'd killed Sam and twenty hours later, he had been within seconds of shutting down the equipment keeping her body alive with her essence locked in the freaking mainframe. He couldn't do this anymore. Too much was at jeopardy. Because he was in love with Carter, they had become a high risk factor for the SGC. Hammond knew it, as did anyone else who had a marble for a brain to play with.

Daniel had tried to reassure him that the Entity knew Jack would have done the same whether it been him or Teal'c. But Jack knew in his gut the alien had bet on Sam. Bet on him. None of that mattered now. Jack had put his resignation on Hammond's desk. In less than two hours, he would no longer be a member of the USAF. He would once again become plain old Jack O'Neill, with two L's, retired USAF Colonel.

"Daniel?" Sam called out in a raspy frightened voice.

Jack's brow tightened as he glanced about. Nope. No Daniel. Jack launched from his chair and came alongside her. "Hey, Carter." He smiled down at her ashen face and brushed a blonde curl off her pasty forehead.

"Sir." She blinked and focused on him.

"Yeah."

"Water?"

Jack poured a glass, inserting the straw and then braced his arm under her shoulder raising her slightly as she sucked down most of the H2O. "Easy there." He instinctively retracted the straw from her parched lips.

Nodding, she dropped back onto the bed, licked her parched lips and closed her eyes.

"Hey, you okay, Carter?" Jack shoved his nervous hands into his pockets and winced. He wanted to touch her again, to hold her. Instead he waited for what, he had no idea.

Her soft lashes fluttered and pale lids opened. Sam stared up at him, then tilted her head on the pillow and with her intimate look wordlessly spoke to him.

"I know." He gave his classic 'charm the ass off you' smirk while his thumb grazed her pale right cheek. His hand shook. Get a grip, old man.

"I . . . I wanna go home."

"Doc insists on the pleasure of your company for the night." He reluctantly withdrew his fingers from her face.

Blue eyes watering, Sam reached and clutched his retreating hand. "Please, Sir, I want to go now!"

"Anything for you, Dorothy. Kansas here we come!"

*~*

Jack intercepted Janet heading for the elevator and her own bed. Sweeping her card, she wearily shook her head. "Sorry, Colonel, she needs rest."

"She can do that best at home." He argued in his harsh tone.

"I don't know, Sir. As her physician, I- "

"As her doctor you're the only one who can release her, but as her friend what else can you do?''

"But you said she sounds scared. She shouldn't be alone."

"I'll stay with her."

"Umm, you're sure that's wise, Colonel?" Janet gave him the look.

"Don't go there, Doc!" He raised his hand, his temper about to short circuit. "Last I checked I'm still her CO who's not forgetting that important point that you mention a lot."

Her hands shoved in her lab coat pockets, Janet met his indignant glint. "Colonel, I'm not making any point you haven't already thought about. It's just . . ."

Jack rubbed a hand over his face and growled his frustration.

The elevator opened and Janet backed inside and pressed the hold button. "Alright, you can take her home. But if she starts acting strange."

"Strange? What constitutes strange after you've been host to a body snatcher?"

"Look, Sir, I'm still Sam's physician and I love her like my sister. Just take care of her."

Jack offered up a peacemaking smile. "Sorry, Fraiser, it's been rough ride on everyone. You know I'll watch after her and if she does anything strange for Carter, I'll call."

*~*

Not surprising, Sam insisted walking on her own to his truck. Jack however kept his hand on the small of her back, especially as she had the tendency to wobble. She allowed him to assist her into the high cab, but when he reached for the seat belt she slapped his hand.

"I'm tired, Sir, not helpless."

"Sorry." He shrugged. Patting the truck's hood Jack hurried to the driver's side and leaped in, snapping his belt in place. After he turned the ignition he opened the sky roof, knowing she enjoyed stargazing. As if on cue, Sam dropped her head against the headrest and stared at the clear star-lit night sky. She smiled.

"Beautiful." He meant Sam, but tilted his head toward the heavens.

She nodded and said nothing. Let her be, Jack. Maybe she'll fall asleep on the drive home. She did.

Twenty minutes later, he parked in front of her house without waking her. He stared at her while deciding on his next maneuver. Jack sprinted to her house door unlocked it with his key and then ran back. Sam was still asleep. That's exactly what he planned to do once he got her inside. Amazing now that his adrenaline level had crashed he could hardly keep his eyes open.

"Hey, Dorothy, we're home." He nudged her. She didn't budge. "Okay, well, just for the record. I tried to wake ya, so no kicking or biting the Colonel." He lifted the independent woman and carried her up the long walk through the swinging black gate, onto the porch and inside. Man, he didn't recall Carter being this heavy. Nah, more like he was just that exhausted.

Flipping the light switch on with his shoulder, an art in its self, Jack locked the door and hauled Sam down the hallway to her bedroom. Once inside, he laid her limp body on her bed and switched on the bedside table lamp.

Jack dragged a hand through his hair and glanced down at the slumbering beauty. Sleeping beauty. One kiss will awaken her. She was here and alive! He swallowed the lump in his throat as his bottled tears crashed through the dam. Now alone with her, he let them fall. Man it felt good. Felt right. He'd not cried since Charlie's death and even then not with Sara. Almost two years after his son's death he'd cried all right, but in Sam's arms. Like then, this was different. This was the woman who not only allowed, but encouraged him to be vulnerable. This was Carter.

Jack slipped off her jacket, shoes and black socks. She hated sleeping with socks. No way would he further undress her. Didn't need that temptation. The last few months had been sexually frustrating, but they'd found ways to cope. He grinned. Had they ever. Who'd have thought Walkie-talkies could be so useful.

Still, they'd made a vow to not make love until regulations were no longer an issue. A decision made out of respect for each other and their careers. Feelings were one thing, succumbing to them could change everything. It had also made it easier to maintain their professional relationship. No guilt trip when Jack had to ream-out his 2IC or visa versa, nor as much sexual attraction distraction. Well that had yet to be voted on. When it came to thinking about Carter and sex, Jack had a one-track mind. So far, he had devised a hundred and twenty-eight ways to seduce Carter. Hey, a guy had to do something on those cold lonely nights, in bed, alone. Was it getting hot in here? Did crying and sex go together? They did now.

Sam.

Sex.

Sam. So hard to separate those two words, but he managed to juggle them. Had too. Some might assume the no physical intimacy mandate had been Sam's alone. Fine. He and Sam knew differently. Jack was a man of honor and shacking up with his 2IC was not part of his military ethic's code. He'd seen such unions destroy too many lives in the military. Following through on those desires could ruin what he and Sam held for each other and themselves. He didn't want Sam for a brief roll in the hay, he wanted this woman forever and if it meant waiting, so be it. The fact she felt as strongly about the matter made their wannabe lovers affair work.

Staring down at her Jack still questioned what this beautiful, bright and feisty woman saw in him. Jack knew his defects better than anyone. The list was mind-boggling. First he was Irish, which meant for the most part he was a stubborn ass and could be down right short sighted. Tactless, his mouth tended to work ahead of his brain . . .a lot. Not to mention the loud and brash part. Heck, he wasn't even going to get into his sun-weathered face that had more crossed lines than a road map. And his freaking bed head hair had the audacity to submit to the O'Neill's premature gray genes, well could it get any better?

Oh, yeah, sure, yabetcha.

Jack wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but there again he wasn't the rustiest nail either. He was always twisting words and their meanings, not to mention mispronouncing anything with more than three syllables. Of course, Carter knew he was not the bumbling idiot he portrayed. First off, she already knew he was a computer software wiz, a hacker to be precise. Hey, he didn't make Colonel on his smart lip. And she'd nearly freaked out the day they'd been painting his kitchen with Daniel and Teal'c. Rummaging through his basement for an extra pair of brushes she found some of his boxed-up reading material, including the Writings of Dostovesky and Isben, and The Theory of Relativity by Albert Einstein, amide a stack of other impressive works. Yeah, Jack liked messing with her head. It gave him an extra kick out of life.

Swiping a tear off his jaw he pulled back the covers to roll Sam beneath them. He'd just about succeeded when she reached out and clenched his forearm, setting him off balance. Jack sprawled awkwardly beside her, one knee on the bed the other on the floor. Darn aching knees.

"Carter?" He tried to stand up, but her strong grip restrained him. "Hey, go back to sleep, that's an order. I'll be on the sofa."

"Please, Sir. Hold me?" she asked with a muzzy but auditable voice.

"Well then, sure." Who was he to argue? Holding he could do. Holding was what he did best with Carter. Jack scooted over onto the bed and drew her into his chest, then dipped his head so he could see her pretty pale face. He focused on the small mole beneath her left eye and how much he wanted to kiss it.

To kiss her.

Wow, had it actually been over two months since their last kiss?

Yep.

Sam's lashes fluttered open and she looked up at him. Her dusty brown brows furrowed. He saw the confusion there and thought to see the blackness of the Entity in her clouded eyes. As soon as she smiled her pupils shown with the true blue in the soft lamp's light. Jack snuffed a breath in relief, but not before a tear escaped. Dang, he'd not wanted her to see that. Not now! Sam reached up and captured the evidence of his heart and brought it to her lips. He shuddered at her intimate gesture.

The oneness they shared was beyond any act of physical lovemaking. Maybe, it was the risky nature of their chosen professions, coming face to face with death so often together. How could two people whom never did more than steal a kiss or caress, be bonded so exclusively, so intimately? He no longer questioned the how or why, Jack only knew he and Sam were eternally blessed. He pitied all lovers past, present and forget the future she was all his now, and he was hers.

Jack snatched her fingers, brought them to his mouth brushing his lips against them and then closing his eyes, while he inhaled the sweet fragrance that was Samantha Carter.

"I was shouting for you to hear," she repeated hoarsely what she'd said after being revived by Fraiser.

"I know, Babe, we heard you." He assumed she needed to hear it again as he smoothed back her fine hair and pulled her closer. Drowning in all that was Sam. Vanilla and cinnamon. Yeah.

Her arms constricted around his waist. "No." She shook her head against him.

"No? Whatcha mean?" He tilted his head so he could see her face.

She cleared her throat. "Daniel saw me on the monitor, but it was you I was shouting at when the Entity was still inside of me."

'Oh,' he mouthed and craned his neck, uncertain what she meant.

"When it was within, the Entity let me show myself to you. Didn't you see me, hear me calling you?"

Jack drew a pointed breath. Yeah, he'd wanted to tell that to Hammond and his team during the briefing. Instead, he'd said the Entity was just tricking them. Now with Sam he could be honest. "I saw you, Sam. Do you recall the conversation I had with the Entity?"

She nodded and Jack felt her heart banging against his own.

"It said, 'I am within. You are O'Neill.'"

"And I answered, 'Yeah, we've established that.'"

"'This One has memory of you,'" Sam said roughly.

"'The One you're talking about is a person. Her name is Major Samantha Carter.'"

"'Then I am Major.'"

"'No. No you're not!'"

Sam glanced up at his taut features. "You were so mad."

"Ya think?" He tried to smile, but couldn't, the memory too fresh. He shut his eyes.

"Janet said something about the Entity having control of me. That it wasn't me."

"Yes." Jack's eyes opened, his brows clashed. "Wow, I'm impressed, Carter. You heard all that?"

"Yes! The Entity said it had no other choice. No other place to go. It realized you still wished to terminate it."

"I wanted to kill that freakin' thing for taking you from me. Said something like, 'still do.'"

"'But you will not. Not now. I have observed. You value the life of One.'"

This was way too weird. Jack shuddered and glanced down fearing she was not Sam. "'Yes, we do.' A team thing ya know."

"Sure do." She smiled like Sam.

"Sam, I wanted to say, yes I do, but Hammond was in the observation booth and Fraiser beside me." He needed to make it clear. There was so much he needed to clear up between them.

"Jack," she sighed lovingly, "I know military protocol. With us it's what we don't say that matters."

"Oh. Huh. Sure." He kissed the crown of her blonde head. "Sorry."

"And the Entity said, 'this One is important.'"

Jack uttered the words he'd never forget, "'She is.'" He looked into Sam's moist eyes. "You are. Sam."

"I know." She nuzzled him again. "'For this reason, this One was chosen. You will not terminate this One in order to destroy me.'" Sam sniffled. "And that's when it let me see you, Jack. I saw your dark eyes, your heartache. I saw your fear, the fear that you had lost me; you were barely holding back the tears. I started to cry. It used me to manipulate you."

"Dear God!" Jack embraced her, kissing her softly against her neck. "That's when your eyes watered. I'd prayed it was you I was seeing, but Janet insisted you weren't there anymore. She later said that what I saw was the result of physical stress the alien was putting on your body."

"No, I was there, Jack. Screaming for you. The Entity knew it. Knew you alone would sense me being alive. That's why it chose me. It had not only watched us interact it told me, it could comprehend body language and emotions. It knew we were married. It said you and I were bonded as one being. That's when it began to fear you, because it had underestimated the power of human love. Our love. It did exactly what we'd have done under the circumstances it was just trying to survive."

"Sam?"

She shook her head. "Then when Daniel got it to explain its intention to destroy earth, you heatedly interrupted that you would send more probes. It didn't want to believe you'd do that for one life. But I told it, you wouldn't let it keep my body, that you would send the probes to its home world. The Entity realized it had no choice but to release me and die to preserve its own kind." She began crying. "It also died to save me, Jack!"

"Ssh, Ssh, that's alright. Guess it wasn't so different from us after all." He caressed her trembling back. "Sam, when Janet brought you back and you were looking at me, it killed me, coz I couldn't hold you. I was forced to stand there like an idiot tapping the mattress, dying to touch your hand, any touch to assure me you were back." He felt so open and emotionally stripped, more than he'd been with anyone before. Caught in this moment with Sam, Jack let her see what no one else had, a basic guy broken, humbled, hurting and in love with his wife.

"I'm sorry. I knew you wanted to hold me. I wanted that too. I almost screamed for everyone to get out and leave me alone with my husband."

"Hey, we could have had Doc write it off as delirium."

"Funny." She sighed with a snort.

"Yes. Well, I thought so." His joshing crashed and burned.

"That's why I needed to come home with you." She clung tighter to him.

"You're home, Dorothy. We're together. And from here on out it'll be better, because things are going to change. Swear it!" He glanced at the clock. Two minutes ago everything had changed, but he'd wait to tell her later. He could do that. He could wait until morning, sure he could.

Sam sighed against his tear stained black T-shirt. "Thank you.''

"For what?"

"For not letting me go."

"Hey, it was nothing. Nothing's what I do best."

"Don't make fun of this, Jack."

"Alright." He surrendered and shut his tired eyes. "It was everything. Better?"

"Much." He heard the smile in her voice and then, "I know Janet and the others wanted you to let me go. You said, 'Just give it a minute''

Jack's eyes snapped open and stared down at her. "You weren't there. How'd you?"

"I saw and heard everything." She kissed the small cleft of his bristled jaw.

"Duh!" He flushed, recalling his private vigil by her bedside when the ventilators were his only audience. "Umm everything?"

"Yep, every sweet passionate promise, flyboy. Including the four point two Carter-O'Neill's, preferably blue-eyed blond-haired girls."

"Then you're okay with four kids instead of the six-pack I wanted when we first met?"

Sam snorted and rolled her baby blues.

"Hey, work with me here, Carter," he whined.

"Three point two."

"Deal. So this mean you're going to hold it against me?"

Sam snuggled closer. "Oh, I plan to hold everything I can against you, Colonel."

"Then we got a problem." Yep, he felt the pleasurable southbound heat.

"Whaat?" She stretched, insuring they had total body contact when she tossed a leg over his hips, entrapping him.

Jack tried to ease from her locked hold but his squirming made it worse. A lot worse!

Sam giggled.

"No giggling. So not fair, Carter," his voice cracked.

Whoa, Junior!

"I mean our agreement. Hugging only, Major." He couldn't believe he was using his former formal copout when it no longer applied. When he could make Sam his own. His wife. Here. Now. He was either too freaking pooped or having seconds thoughts about the resignation part. So which is it, O'Neill?

"Yummy." Sam sighed, flicking her tongue to the pulsing artery of his muscle strained neck and then nibbling with her teeth.

"Geez!" Jack decided he wasn't too tired and retirement looked better and better.

"Umm, we're not concerned with regs right now, lover."

Lover!

She slid her hot hand across his tensed buttocks and gripped his belt buckle, urging him closer. Yikes! So not Carter! Should he call Janet now or later?

"We're not?" Sweet! Jack swallowed as his libido took the helm.

'Wow, Dorothy!'

Jack was turned on.

Then he wasn't.

Sam was snoring. *~*

CHAPTER TWO

Jack slipped his Luciano Pavarotti CD into Sam's bedside player and set the volume on low. Drawing Sam's pliable feminine curves against his hard lean body, he brushed the hair from her pretty face and smiled down at her, loving her. The slow sensuous duet of Celine Dione and Pavarotti's song, I Hate You Then I Love You fit their unique love affair. Yeah, there were many times Sam hated Jack. And no doubt later this morning would be one of them. Jack only hoped that no matter whatever he did, she'd never want to be in love with anyone but him.

'I'd like to run away from you But if I were to leave you I would die I'd like to break the chains you put around me And yet I'll never try

No matter what you do you drive me crazy I'd rather be alone But then I know my life would be so empty As soon as you were gone

Impossible to live with you But I could never live without you, For whatever you do / For whatever you do I never, never, never Want to be in love with anyone but you

You make me sad You make me strong You make me mad You make me long for you / You make long for you

You make live You make me die You make me laugh You make me cry for you / You make me cry for you

I hate you Then I love you Then I love you Then I hate you Then I love you love more For whatever you do I never, never, never want to be with anyone but you

You treat me wrong You treat me right You let me be You make me fight with you /I could never live without you

You make me high You bring me down You set me free You hold me bound to you I hate you Then I love you Then I love you Then I hate you Then I love you more For whatever you do / For whatever you do I never, never, never want to be in love with anyone but you I never, never, never want to be in love with anyone but you But you

"I love you, Sam."

*~*

Somewhere in the throes of making wild passionate love with Sam, an all-nighter, the phone rang. Jack cursed incoherently and realized their lovemaking was a Looney Tunes dream, but not the shrill of the bedside phone.

"Dang!"

Catching it on the third ring, he answered, "Yeah, cool your jets," hit the hold button, and then cautiously unraveled himself from Sam's warm, clothed body and left her bedroom. In his black t-shirt and Bugs Bunny boxers, he rubbed the crust from his eyes and squinted at the illuminated ID number, that read private caller. Jack staggered around the house and into the kitchen when he opened a shade to let in the sunshine, and then remembered the phone in his hand.

As he released the mute button Jack thought, so help me, if this is a freaking telemarketer. "What!" He scratched his six-pack realizing he had to pee.

"Colonel O'Neill?" Hammond's voice rumbled on the other end.

"General?" 'Whoops!' Jack had just answered Sam's phone at, he squinted at the kitchen's clock, 0647 hours Saturday morning. Just peachy!

"Dr. Fraiser left me a message that you're taking care of our Major. How's she fairing, son?"

Jack made a beeline for the bathroom. "Fine, Sir. Still splitting logs." Yawning, he shut the door, not wanting Sam to catch him in the act. When he passed the vanity mirror he grimaced at his heavy beard and hoped she still had one of his razors. Last time he used her fancy pink razor, he'd butchered his face. Jack tried to hand comb his graying bed-head. He opened the linen closet pleased to find his toothbrush, deodorant, and razor all neatly stacked besides a set of his clothes. Man, he loved that woman.

"Colonel, you there?" Hammond shouted.

"Um, yes, Sir." Jack lifted the toilet lid and seat, his sleepy senses invaded by a fragrant, blue, toilet bowl sanitizer. He envisioned whizzing into the event horizon. Could be fun might try it one day.

"Good, Jack. Let the Major rest." Hammond's voice shifted from mild mannered to furious. "Meanwhile get to my office now!"

"Sir?"

"I just found your resignation on my desk! If this is a joke, I'm not laughing."

"Sir, can I call you back?" He never could urinate and talk at the same time.

"No! Get your sorry Irish ass in here A.S.A.P. or I'm coming there."

"Ah, rather you didn't, General." He really had to go. Concentrate, Jack.

"Didn't think you would. Be here within the hour!"

"Can't order me anymore, George, and I really have to go now." He emphasized.

"Don't make me hurt you, Jack!" Hey, when did Hammond start talking like me?

"Fine! I'll be there." Jack hung up and sighed with relief as his emptied his bladder.

*~*

Sixty minutes later, Jack stood habitually at attention in tan Dockers, a loose, hunter green short-sleeved shirt, and loafers before the man George Hammond who also wore civvies, which meant one of his many loud colored shirts. Considering what he'd been called here to discuss, their casual attire made the situation bizarre. Jack had no desire to talk. Besides the general knew his reason for resigning.

"At ease, Jack. Have a seat." He indicated a chair and poured two cups of steaming black coffee, setting one in front of Jack.

"Rather stand, George." He stuffed his hands in his pockets, rocked on his heels and donned his ironed expression, hiding his tired eyes behind dark shades.

"So it's George, now?" He took a swig of coffee and glanced up at Jack.

"Yep. Thought we could just cut the baloney?" He made an impolite gesture.

"The only baloney I see is this." George shook Jack's resignation letter at him.

"You're so not going to make this easy are you?" Jack scratched his jaw, realizing he'd missed a few whiskers.

"No, Jack, I'm not." The broad shouldered Texan settled back in his chair and tented his hands beneath his double chin. "Our conversation is strictly off record, son." He indicated the security cameras were off, including the briefing room.

"Whatever." Jack removed his shades, squinted, and then rubbed his eyes with his knuckles before looking back at his former CO.

"I won't accept your resignation."

"Fine." Jack shrugged. "A.W.O.L. Court-marshal. Knock yourself out!" He shifted indicating the door. "Going now. Need to buy groceries. Going to whip up a western omelet for Carter."

"You're walking a fine line, Colonel."

"Well thank you, George." Jack swept a bow.

Hammond shook his head when Jack grasped the door's handle and turned it.

Still, Jack preferred to part as friends. "Nice chat, George. Look we'll do lunch. Really. Adios Amigo."

"Does Major Carter know about your decision?"

"Nope. Going to tell her now. With all do respect." He engaged a sloppy salute and was halfway out the door.

"Don't you think it would have been wise to discuss it with her first?"

"Nope." He didn't like Hammond's underhanded tactic and glared over his shoulder.

"Because she'd have talked you out of it. In fact, knowing Samantha Carter, she'd be pretty pissed off about now."

Yep. Exacta. Jack flinched but kept walking. "So not your business, George." He ventured back and entered Hammond's secretary's office.

Hammond barked after him, "After all the times I've kept your sorry ass from being court marshaled I think it is my business. For starters, I'm calling the last four and half years of markers due right now!"

"Oy!" Jack did an about-face, slammed the door, turned and then thumped his forehead head against it. Twice. He groaned and then confronting his blackmailing former CO, muttered, "Just how many markers we talkin' here."

George slapped eight inches worth of O'Neill's files on his desk. "Last count seventeen, Colonel." Hammond smirked back, knowing he had Jack by the short hairs, as Jack had so fondly stated too many times before.

"Nah! Can't be? Seventeen? Really?" Jack started counting off the chain of events on his hands and ran out of fingers. "Wow! Seventeen? Crap?"

"Not including when you knocked Siler over the stairwell resulting in a broken arm and a concussion while you were on a power trip wearing that Tok'ra armband."

"Hey, I swear," Jack held up his hands, "that was an accident! Tok'ra influence and that Aneesse Anineeze whatever-never did trust her or her screwed-up alien technology. Geez, why doesn't anyone believe me? And hey, I sent Siler flowers!" His tense gaze rested on the hole in Hammond's office wall that Jack's enthusiastic foot had also made that day. Guess he should fix it? Yeah.

"And the brawl at O'Malley's that involved your team?"

"A ah!" Jack waved his pointers. "Again under the influence. Besides that slime ball insulted Carter and then Daniel."

"You made the call to go there, Jack, you also took the first swing."

"Not! I tossed him on his sorry butt. Hey, you said you weren't going to hold any of that against me or my team."

"That does not mean I didn't add it to the O'Neill I.O.U.'s."

"Oh. Yes. Right. Good point." His mouth thinned out. "Seventeen? Wow." He scuffed the toe of one shoe across the floor and sighed. "Hell, just shoot me, Sir?"

"That would be too easy. Jack, despite this less than stellar track record, you are the best 2IC I've ever had the honor to serve with. Your dedication to your team is exemplary. Not to mention your determination to eliminate the Goa'uld threat to our planet and galaxy. And it's the very reason I give you latitude I don't extend anyone else. Or why I put up with you smart mouth, less than professional antics, not to mention unorthodox methods or desire to blow everything up in sight."

"And I appreciate that, Sir, really I do. But oh, c'mon, George, what about the incident with Kinsey and the NID? I helped you out, right? You haven't forgotten that have ya?"

"I know you did, son. And I'll be forever grateful, so that's why I deducted seven from the pile, but come on, Jack, do you think I'm going to let you go so easily? Well?"

Jack scowled and muttered a curse.

"Jack! Quit with the politically correct politeness. This is me you're talking too." George shot to his feet and slammed his closed fist against his Jack's folder, decreasing its wad a good inch.

Jack flinched glad it wasn't his jaw Hammond had slammed.

"As your CO and friend, I deserve an explanation for your lamebrain decision to leave a position I know you love more than anything you've ever done in the military. Heck, if it weren't for your superior command capabilities and the death defying risks you've taken, we'd all be snakeheads by now."

Jack gaped at the exploding Texan. He'd been on the receiving end of Hammond's wrath before. This was different. Downright uncomfortable being complimented and cursed out in one breathe.

"Sir, with all due respect, it's apparent why I'm resigning. I can no longer separate my personal life from the SGC or what's best for SG-1. It's become a high risk factor. A conflict of interest, heck of the heart." Heat warmed his face.

George walked around his desk and stood face-to-face with Jack. "Son, this isn't the first resignation you've handed me and no doubt for the same reason. Just didn't expect it to be the last. I sense you mean it this time."

"Darn straight I do, George." Jack rubbed his sore eyes and slumped, not in defeat but in acceptance of his decision. He just wanted to go home to Sam, his Sam.

Hammond scratched the back of his scalp and nodded. "I'm aware of what's going on between you and Carter, Jack. Truthfully, I saw the sparks between you two the first day you met. So let's come clean, shall we. You and the Major have history."

"Ya think after nearly five years." He snorted.

"Nearly eight to be exact," Hammond inserted.

"Sir?!" Jack gaped.

"Two years ten months before the first Abydos mission, you were both Black Ops operatives working with the CIA."

"Duh!" Jack tracked his hand through his tufted hair. "Anything else you wanna share, George, coz I'm kinda dying to hear all the juicy details."

The Texan snorted. "Don't play stupid with me. I realize you only knew each other as undercover operatives."

"Oh, yeah, 007 charades. I was Bond, James Bond, Carter was . . ."

"Shimmer," Hammond tossed back at him. "South America and I believe your operative name was Striker."

"Sir, how'd you?" Jack felt like he'd been caught with his pants down.

"Got my sources."

"Of course." Could this get any worse? "Look, it was strictly professional between us. I was married."

"That's not under inquiry."

"Good. Now if you don't mind I've got - "

"You two later met at a 1997 White House Halloween Ball and according to upper management, spent the majority of the evening together, closed down the place from what I heard. Heard you play a mean, Blue Suede Shoes on base guitar."

Double crap!

Bile burned Jack's throat. "Did I mention masked ball, as in upper face covered?" He made a raccoon face with his fingers. Well, at least he'd worn a mask. Zorro! And Sam had braids too, how was he to know at first?

"Exactly five days before Major Carter's initial briefing here at the SGC." Hammond's brows disappeared into his scalp.

Jack nodded numbly. Gonna puke. His stomach rumbled. He spotted the wastebasket. "Was still officially retired, Sir," he rasped a dry cough.

Hammond nodded grimily. "And you didn't just dance with her, son, you k - "

"Kissed the girl." The Little Mermaid song popped into his head as he dove for the basket and gagged, but came up empty. He'd not eaten in two freaking days. He hated dry heaves.

"Have a seat, Jack." Hammond seemed to take pity on him.

Jack held the basket between his splayed knees, wondering if he looked as green as his shirt.

"I don't think vomit qualifies as recycled paper, son." George motioned to the blue basket and had the audacity to chuckle.

"Funny." Jack sneered at the 'Recycling Only' label and gagged again.

An edgy silence fell between them while Jack regained control of his bodily functions and got more pissed. "For starters, I was retired as in not in the Air Force, not an officer. So officially we weren't doing anything wrong! Were we?"

"Already established that," George answered calmly.

"Well there's that." He nodded, still brooding at the seventeen counts of insubordination.

"Whatever happened then doesn't matter." Hammond referred to the Halloween Ball.

His defense mode in full gear, Jack was deaf to his CO's dismissal of the issue. "And secondly, I'm the one who pursued Carter. I kissed her." Jack sighed, recapturing their passionate hands all over each other kiss, kisses. He rubbed the back of his neck trying to recall just how many times they'd kissed and groped. Oh, lots and lots and God willing a whole lot more. Vegas and wedding bells! If only this stubborn mule would let him retire with some dignity.

"Jack, you don't have to defend yourself or the Major. Neither of you broke any regulations."

"I knew that. So why the flipping fifth degree?"

"No fifth degree. Just trying to confirm what I've always know."

Jack mouthed an, Oh and nodded. He was out of control of this situation. He hated not being in charge. Hated Hammond holding this over him. Did he mention hated?

"Although it's not unusual for operatives to become familiar and bond, it is my understanding that due to the high security risk of your assignments it called for you and the Major to remain incognito. Neither of you ever saw each other's faces or exchanged military ID's."

"Correct." Jack nodded.

"You were and still are one of the best undercover operatives this nation's has, Jack. All together ten years of classified assignments. Carter on the other hand, despite her 100 hours of flying Iraq air space was a green envoy being field-tested. Sources tell me you engaged contact with her at least nine times over a period of fourteen months some encounters less than two minutes although the reports indicated you two were captured once. Another said she saved your butt twice. Seems she's got one up on you, Colonel." Seemed George took pleasure in that fact.

"Nah." Jack leaned over to glance at the report Hammond was scanning. However, reading upside didn't set well with his stomach. "It was an even tie. I saved Carter's butt first and she saved mine the second round."

"Not according to the Major's report."

"Why the little fibber!" Jack suppressed a grin.

"Are you saying Major Carter lied?"

"No! Never!" Jack dropped back in his chair. "Just a matter of perspective. Mine's right of course."

"Certainly." George chuckled. "So how did you determine three years later the woman at the ball was one and the same?"

"Sir?" Jack's jaw collided with his chest.

"Jack."

"Oh, her voice, Sir." Jack was still chewing on Sam's report. No way she saved me twice, why just because I'd been knocked out-

"You recognized her voice?"

"Yeah, great ears." He tugged them.

"Huh." George mumbled and then smiled. "Did she recognize you at the ball?"

"Still off record, George?" Jack dropped the basket at his feet and grabbed one of Hammond's pens to occupy his antsy hands.

"Whatever you say stays here, Jack, you have my word on it." Hammond shook his head.

"No, she didn't know it was me, exactly. When I was an operative, I had a blond mullet hair cut and beard. So it wasn't until I called her out to her." Well so there was another lie. Carter knew precisely whom she was kissing.

"Not exactly national security protocol, considering the high security assignments you'd shared."

"No Sir. Could we blame it on the Basanovas?"

Hammond looked confused.

"Ya know the song about the dance - okay, too much champagne?"

Hammond snorted.

"Point is, after I kinda kissed her ya know what I mean, and called her code name, well she decked me."

"That's my Major!" George beamed like a proud godfather.

"Yeah." Jack grimaced with the memory of the bruised jaw he got, not to mention the sore instep and worse still, the hurt pride.

"Now I see why you wouldn't be so apt to write that book, I suggested." George grinned.

Jack drew a blank then recalled his first meeting with Hammond when he'd been called in as a consultant for the Stargate. Consultant my eye! Hammond had tried to make small talk with the then retired Jack, asking if he'd ever thought to write a book about his exploits in the line of duty.

'Jack had replied, "Thought about it. But then, I'd have shot anyone who actually read it."

Hammond just stared.

"That was a joke, Sir. Most of my work for the past ten years has been classified."'

"And then," Hammond's present serious tone gave Jack a reality check.

"Oh, I kissed her again." Jack shrugged and smirked.

Hammond rolled his eyes.

"But!" Another finger waggled. "Had I known you'd be hauling me out of retirement or assigning her to me, I'd never have done either. Gee, George, it's not like we planned it."

"And just when did you know who your 2IC was?"

"With all due respect, Sir, that's one dumb question even from you. Had my new CO cared to share that important side note with me sooner, things might have gone down differently."

"Yes. You wouldn't have gone active or accepted the Abydos mission."

"Nope."

"So? When?" George persisted.

"The moment, I heard her outside the briefing room say, 'She is transferring from the Pentagon.'"

"And you should have seen your face." George chuckled. The Texan was enjoying himself at Jack's expense.

"Yes well." Jack scratched his head. "Not only was Sam a woman, she was the woman with a capital T, if you get my drift."

"I do, son. And when did she realize that Colonel O'Neill and Striker were the same man?"

"Oh at the ball. We talked it all out. Had no reason not to be honest about how we felt or how much we wanted to make out . . . " 'Hey, I only polished one shoe!'

Hammond cleared his throat.

Red-faced, Jack glanced up at the grinning Texan and turned defensive. "Then when you intentionally failed to tell Carter that I was her CO and we made eye contact at the briefing." Jack blushed. "We faked our way through it. Apparently before she entered the briefing, Samuels informed her I was her CO. Actually she was pretty sore at me."

"No doubt."

"By then it was too late."

"Was it? I don't recall either of you flying in here afterward declaring a conflict of interests, which there undoubtedly appeared to have been regarding fraternization."

"Yes Sir, I mean no, Sir." Dang sirs! "Beside we had clearance to go to Abydos and might I remind you it was a matter of international security, save the world from the evil dark Vader impersonator, Apophis?"

George waved him off. "I'm quite aware of the emergency threat and that you had only twenty-four hours to complete your mission."

"It warms the cockles of heart to know you were aware, Sir. And seeing as you do remember the fact we had to save the earth, how about we knock those seven I.O.U.'s down to one?"

Hammond winced at Jack's sarcasm, but added, "How about I double the original seventeen to thirty-four instead?"

"Point taken, George." Jack resigned indignantly, while Hammond laughed behind his stoic features.

"Carter feared I would scratch the mission because of our previous indiscretion. I assured her far as I was concerned it was over and done with and as you'd noted, I'd been retired. There was no reason we couldn't be professional officers and that's exactly what we were. Still are. The then Captain Carter was above board."

"For how long?"

"A long, long, long time." Jack stretched out his arms. "Right into Colonel-hood including last night and this morning." 'But hopefully not tonight!'

"I see. So at what point did your feelings for Carter change and I'm not just talking physical attraction?"

"Sir, we've long established that Sam and I have an ongoing relationship of the heart and one day I hope the body. So in all fairness is this questioning necessary?"

"Damn straight it is! If you want out of this Air Force so badly, you have to give me evidence to substantiate it."

"Oh, for crying out loud, yes!"

"Yes what?"

"I had fallen for her before the Abydos mission. A happy camper are we, George?"

"My happiness has nothing to do with this, Jack. And did Major Carter feel the same way before Abydos?"

"I can't speak for the Major, Sir. But I assume her feelings were mutual."

"So what about all the guff you gave the Captain, err Major about not liking scientists and not wanting her under your command, even after the mission was a success?"

"All true. Bad enough I had to deal with Daniel. Also figured if I got Ms. Theoretical Astrophysicist mad enough she'd ask to be reassigned. Heck, I couldn't pursue her as my 2IC now could I?"

"Finally we're getting somewhere." The hint of a smile touched Hammond's lips.

"But when I realized how much it meant for her to be part of SGC, well I couldn't rightfully hold her back."

"That was an honorable decision on your part, Colonel."

"Yeah well you know me, Sir, a sucker for kick-butt, blue-eyed blonde Astrophysicists with attitude."

"One more personal question."

Oh! Here it comes. Jack looked at his shoes, so glad Sam wasn't being put through this degrading interrogation that made the Za'tarc test look like child's play.

"Do you know each other in the biblical sense?"

"Didn't your sources tell you?" Jack scoffed.

"Guess I deserve that."

"Ya think." He shook his head and rubbed his aching temples.

"Jack, your and Major Carter's private lives are not being monitored, at least not by me or anyone I know. I'm from the old school of what you don't know, don't ask."

"Seems to me you're asking, George." Repeatedly flicking the pen's cap, he scowled.

"Yes I am. And I'd hope you trust my motivation."

"So if I said, yeah we're shacking up together, you'd let me walk?"

"Yes, off the record I possible might. And were this on record you'd both be looking at court marshal offenses and charges."

"So it's a crap shoot?"

"Yes, son."

Ruffling his hair, Jack looked Hammond head on. "Just in my dreams." Man wasn't that the truth! "To put it straight, no we haven't been intimate. Heck, I haven't even made it off first base. Military regs you know." He looked back at the floor, wanting to crawl under it. Once again, he raked his brain over their honeymoon on a Goa'uld mother ship. Had they made love? He still didn't know.

"I'd hoped you'd say that, son."

"It's true," Jack groused, his cheeks flaming beneath his tan.

"Yes. That's one of the reasons you and Carter are still under my command. I know your code of ethics, Jack. They are above reproach as are Carter's."

"Yeah, well we're still human, George, and we're freaking tired of obeying the regs and being your goody two-shoes class pets. We have feelings and needs! So if all goes as planned she'll soon be Mrs. O'Neill." In this world too.

"And I want nothing better than to see you two love birds make a nest, it's just that - "

"So you saying if I don't retire you'll allow me and Carter to shack up together?" Jack challenged, knowing what he wanted to hear from the man.

"I'm a firm believer in don't know don't tell. But I can't and won't allow that to happen under my command, Jack."

"Which is why I respect you, George."

"Please Jack?"

"Are we done, Sir?" Jack glared, slamming the pen back on the desk and coming to his feet.

"No."

"I could walk right now."

"Yes, you could."

"Wanna establish that."

"Coffee?"

Jack's stomach declined with a headshake. Another drawn silence gave him time to think as he stalked the room. "Since you'd already selected Carter knowing about our operative years and the dance, you could have dismissed us right then and there, based on conflict of interests. You didn't. Why?"

"Several reasons. The first being Carter was as much the right fit as your Science Officer for that mission, as you were her CO."

"You could have broken us up afterward." He turned and glared.

"Yes. And don't think I didn't spend some sleepless nights considering that. If you'd been men, I'd have never thought twice about. Take you, Kawalsky and Ferretti. You all had history before the first Abydos mission, that's why I brought them on board."

"So?"

"Jack, everyday I see how militarily professional you and Carter are together under death defying stress, no less. Had I not known what lay beneath the surface, I'd never have guessed. Look how long it took Dr. Jackson or Teal'c to notice. And you can consider yourself lucky they know how to keep their mouths shut."

"I'm more than grateful, Sir."

"Yes, so when it came down to what was right for the SGC and SG-1 it was my judgment call, Jack. One I don't regret."

"Well I do," he snapped, still stinging over the fact that even after retirement he'd been surveyed. "So was this Halloween Ball intelligence via the NID, CIA or Pentagon, Sir?" Geez, why'd he keep calling George Sir?

"I told you from the start nothing gets by me or that red phone."

"The pres knows?"

"Jack, he knew five years ago when you asked him to-"

"Yeah, I get the picture." Boy did he ever. One simple Presidential request and his world went to hell in a hand basket. Geez, another Carter clich!

"And were it anyone else but you and Carter, he'd have had you both on fraternization charges long ago."

"There should be no exceptions, Sir," Jack stated the obvious. "Nor is it fair that you've had to turn a blind eye all these years. Reason enough for me to resign." He stood up and kicked the wastebasket aside.

"Jack!"

"What?" he yelled back.

"Remember when your team went back to 1969?"

"Yeah, so?" He didn't want any more romps down memory lane.

"Although I wasn't certain where I'd fit in now with the SGC, I'd known for almost thirty years that you and my goddaughter would one day be in the Air Force together and hopefully have a life together as well. Jack, Sam was a baby in 1969. But when you and she stood before me on that road and told me who you were, I knew without a shadow of a doubt I was looking at Jacob Carter's daughter, my godchild."

"And your point, George?"

"As brief as our encounter was, I saw how you looked at Sam and she looked at you. It was more than a CO and his 2IC bond. I sure the heck didn't know who Jack O'Neill was then, but I made certain to find out. Over the next twenty plus years I watched you incognito become the man you are today. And by God, were you any less, I'd have made sure you two never met, let ended up in the same chain of command!"

Dumbstruck, Jack just stared at the beet-faced Texan.

"All of this," Hammond gestured toward the Gate Room, "Is greater than any of us, son. God Almighty is in control, not you, Samantha or myself. I believe He gives us free will and like Daniel has so often said, we chose the path we walk. But with that goes responsibilities. So it's my call when I think you are no longer capable of making pertinent decisions of command concerning Major Carter or the rest of your team, Colonel!"

"Screw this!" Jack angrily vented. "I know all about God and free will, George. I also know my strengths and weaknesses better than anyone, even you!" He turned sharply and opened the door.

"And I respect your judgment, Jack! But that doesn't mean I agree with it. As unorthodox as it is, I believe that your personal rapport with the Major has only strengthened your ability to make the right calls, no matter who's involved. And our private conversation has only confirmed my theory. I know you're upset about this Entity incident. But you acted honorably through the entire ordeal, so I don't understand why you want to leave the SGC!"

"Still off record?" Jack turned back, gesturing wildly.

"Yes!" At last Hammond seemed pissed.

"Fine!" He planted his hands on George's desk and leaned over invading the man's space. "Now hear me out for the last time. I killed her, George! Do you know what that cost me? I'm so dang tired of being in control, of making life and death decisions I've no right to make when it concerns Carter. Yes, I love my job and the Air Force. It's what I am. What I do best - did best. But I can't do this anymore. I'm too old. Too tired. I will not risk there being a next time!

"When the Entity fled the infirmary I should have zapped it twice. Instead I told Daniel and Teal'c to let it go. Because all I saw was Sam. Even when no one else believed it, I knew Sam was still inside her body! And yeah, she confirmed it last night. George, do you know she saw and heard everything that happened in the SGC those two days?"

George nodded no.

"Well, she did! And instead of putting duty first and the security of my world, I hesitated to shoot because I'd emotionally fraternized with my 2IC. That's not only unorthodox, it is unacceptable, Sir! I will no longer jeopardize the members of my team, by having to pick Sam over Daniel or Teal'c or anyone else for the fate of our world. Damn it, Sir, let me go!"

"Go where?" Sam stepped through the opened office door addressing her arguing COs.

*~* Chapter Three

Jack and George turned to find Major Samantha Carter staring wide-eyed at them.

"Geez, Louise!" Jack slapped his jaw and collapsed into the nearest chair.

George's red hue deepened. "Jack?" he tossed Sam's question back at him.

"Colonel?" Sam's confused expression met his scrunched one.

Jack dropped his face in his hands and cursed up a storm.

"Will someone please tell me what's going on, Sirs?" She looked anxiously from Hammond then back to Jack.

Jack lifted his head and held her troubled gaze. "I resigned."

"You can't, Colonel!" She moved toward him and glanced at Hammond.

George nodded and held up the letter. "As of zero hundred today," he stepped around them. "Now I've said and done all I can to change his mind, Major. I failed. So, I'll let you two kids talk." He opened the door and started to walk away.

"Rather you stayed, George." Jack urged with a limp wave. "We could do pizza, beer?" He avoided the blue daggers Sam aimed at him. "Hey, I'll spring for breakfast . . ."

His back to the couple Hammond paused.

Wow! Thanks, George.

"Sorry, Jack, count this as one of those markers." Hammond left shutting the door, sealing Jack's fate.

"Party pooper." Jack slumped back, wishing he had eaten something so he could vomit. Instead, he took in Sam's attire of a leather jacket, burnt orange fitted sweater and snug faded blue jeans. Her short blond hair windblown and cheeks flushed. She'd driven her bike to the base. Sam looked good enough to eat, but her narrowed glint said he was the main course and there were no appetizers. Shit!

"Donna wanna fight, Carter." He glanced at his watch and found it suddenly fascinating.

"Oh, we're not." Sam yanked off her jacket flung it in his face, then strolled to Hammond's desk and snatching up the letter, tore it in half.

"Got dozens more where that came from," he snorted, holding her jacket, inhaling the hint of vanilla that clung to it.

Sam shredded the letter and dropped it in the recycle basket, then walked back to Jack and leaned into his face. "You follow through on this asinine resignation and it's over between us, Jonathon James O'Neill, Sir."

"We took vows," he answered smugly and winked.

"We were drunk."

"We're we?" He waggled his brows.

"Never consummated them."

"Can fix that." He reached for her.

Furious, Sam evaded his capture. "Everything's a joke to you, isn't it?"

"Not us." Jack dropped his empty arms into his lap.

"Then understand this. I will leave you." She glared down at him.

Discarding her jacket he bolted to his feet, caught her forearms, "Don't threaten me, Carter. This was my choice to make not yours."

He eyes rounded and her lips trembled as she blew out, "So that's the way it is now? We don't discuss what's best for us? And you're just going to hightail it when things get a little heated. That's a bit mellow dramatic even for you Jack?"

"Mellow dramatic! I shot you D.E.A.D! So not doing that again." He released her. "And I am not running." He turned, scrubbing his hands over his face and into his hair. "I'm doing what's best for you, me, SG-1. It'll give us a chance for the church and cake wedding, making babies and . . ."

Her hot blue glint shot him down. "You think that's all I want?" She snickered.

Angst and confusion engulfed Jack. "Hey, I thought it's about what we want? What we've been unconsciously wanting long before the Zar--gark test thingy, even last night. If I retire you can stay at the SGC, have your own command. Been working on that with Hammond for sometime now, even before this happened," he let slip. "He'll call in some markers to make it a reality without you being a Colonel. Even discussed you commanding SG-1 when I-"

"You are so wrong about what I want!"

"Wow! That's not what you told me." Jack latched onto her wrist. "Um, you're not that . . . Entity thingy again?"

"Holy Hannah, Sir!" Her eyes the size of moons, Sam jerked out of his grasp.

Hearing her pet slang relieved him. "Well, so what are you saying?"

"Man oh man, I thought you knew me, better! I wouldn't let dad use his influence to get me into the Astronaut program. So no one, even you, Jack O'Neill, are going to write me a free meal ticket to command a team, let alone SG-1. If and when it happens, it will be because I worked my sorry tail off the same way you did. I'll have earned it! Got that, you--you arrogant, blow it up solve everything, SOB?"

"Stand down, Major!" Jack exploded lording over her.

"You can't make me. You're retired, remember!" She spat back.

"Oy." He nodded. "Forgot." His shoulders slouched.

"I hate you, Jonathon O'Neill!"

"Day ju view," he muttered recalling the song.

"And one more crapping thing." Her pitch had simmered, but not much, "The SGC needs you. And I need you to be my CO more than I do my husband."

"Low blow, Carter." He grimaced.

"Is it? Because I'll transfer out of the SGC and any dreams we might have had, end right here." She stomped her foot for affect.

"Hey, you can't do that. The SGC needs you, Carter. Why your brain's worth a lot more than mine."

"So you've said. But you're the reason I'm an asset to the Stargate program. You bring out the best in me. I may love what I do, even be obsessed with it at times, but you're my motivator, the missing plus factor in the Carter equation."

"Huh?" He tried to do the math and failed.

"Jack, if you leave SG-1," her voice clotted, "It's over between us. I can't love someone who doesn't value me enough to not consult me on a matter that seriously affects my future. I believed that when we took our wedding vows, you honored and respected me not only as your wife but as your equal. I thought you loved me."

"You know I do!"

"Prove it!" She raged.

"You drive me crazy, woman! I've been proving my love to you since the first day we met . . ."

"Colonel O'Neill and Major Carter to the Control Room stat," Hammond ordered over the intercom.

Sam turned on her heels and opened the door, then glanced back. Jack stayed put and called her bluff. "And no matter what you do or say, we're not finished, Carter."

"I know." She lifted her trembling chin and then shut the door on Hammond's command. Well that's a first. "You blame yourself because you shot me, right?"

"Killed as in dead, destroyed, eradicated, eliminated, poof!" He tossed his hands over his head and shook his head, groaning.

"Whatever."

Jack scrunched his face. What is this, imitate O'Neill day?

"You killed the Entity not me. And when you refused to shut down my life support you saved me again. Furthermore, it could have been Daniel in my place and you know what?"

"Nope, but you'll tell me anyway," he groused and leaned against the desk, crossing his legs and arms. Maybe if he stuck his fingers in his ears and hummed. He did.

"Damn straight, Colonel, Sir." She marched over, yanked his fingers from his ears, then bending into him made Jack arch against the edge of the desk.

"Lose the titles, Sam!"

"Okay, Mr. Jack-off!"

"Hey, hey, I hate when you call me that. Unless of course you want to um . . . " He winked suggestively.

"Oh, oh, you're walking a thin line!" Sam hissed.

"Well, I'm just saying . . ." He flinched, seeing no way out this war of words. "Dang, Sam, it brought up your profile on the monitor."

"And no matter who had been possessed by the Entity, you'd have made the same call! Or need I remind you what you did on Heru'ur's ship a few months ago."

His head snapped around. "I took a snake for you. I'd have done it for any-"

"One," she finished his sentence. "And you almost died in the process-."

Jack grabbed hold of Sam, yanked her firm against him and dropped into his warrior mode, the single mindedness that freed him to do whatever necessary to protect those he loved, even at the cost of his own life. As his fingers dug into her upper arms, Jack's expression turned rigid and cold.

"Jack," Sam gulped. "You're scaring me!"

His eyes fused darker, his soul chilled and his heart hardened. He allowed Sam to see the demon only his enemies saw before he killed them. True, she'd glimpsed this steely killing machine on the battlefield and when she'd almost been raped on their Black Ops mission eight-years prior. But Sam had never been on the receiving end. It was necessary to remind her of just what he could be.

Yes, he'd become that warrior when he'd kissed Belju, even when he'd shot Carter three days ago. The problem was when he stood facing the Entity, he'd not transformed into that ruthless warrior fast enough. He was no longer of value. He had to make Sam see that he was washed up.

Sam went on the defense and swung her hands up and under breaking Jack's steeled hold. Backing off, she glared at him. "What the hell was that about?"

Jack clawed his way back toward the light. He straightened and scrubbed his face as if to escape that darkness of his soul. "A reminder."

"Of what an asshole you can be?" She hugged herself. "I know all about Black Ops mindset, Jack. Remember I was an operative too!"

"Then you know damn well I shouldn't have hesitated! I failed because I saw you and not the enemy."

Her confident gaze sealed his fate. "Just because you hesitated doesn't change the fact that in the end, you did shot me, no more than when I decided to communicate with the alien even though you made it clear you didn't want me too."

"Yeah, well it's also clear that what I want isn't always on Major Samantha Jean Carter-O'Neill's agenda."

"And just what's that suppose to mean?" She fumed, pressing him awkwardly against the desk. Pain shot down Jack's lower back.

"That even now, knowing you would have died and left me to pick up the pieces, you'd still would have talked to that alien thingy."

"Oh, but you dying with Belju and leaving me to pick up the pieces is different?"

"Touch!"

"Don't you see Jack, that it has nothing to do with us. Besides, you did exactly what I knew you would. You brought me back!"

"Geez, that's what Daniel said," he grumbled, glancing off.

"I know. You two need to talk. He blames himself for this, for me almost dying, for us being at odds."

"He does? Hey, how does he know we're at odds?"

"He's more perceptive than you think."

"This is, head buried in a dusty book Daniel, we're talking about?"

"Yeah. He called after you left this morning and thinks you hate him."

"Hey, I don't hate Space Monkey."

Sam frowned.

"Okay, so I wanna do him serious damage."

"Jack," she said in that pleading tone he couldn't refuse.

"Fine. Fine. I'll square it with him after we're done here. Now please get off? The back's killing me."

A cringe of regret for his discomfort touched Sam's blue eyes and she nodded. Both knew he could have shoved her off anytime, but as normal he'd suffered quietly.

Releasing him, Sam continued on her tirade. "As scientists, Daniel and I think differently than you, Jack."

"Nah really? Ya think?" He snuffed in a breath, sat on the desk and then stretched his legs as his backache eased up.

Sam's mood lightened. "Be darn boring if we thought alike. Why you and Daniel would never have anything to talk or argue about. Teal'c would just walk around saying, 'Indeed,' to Junior and I'd have no one to bring me coffee or annoy me playing Game Boy or yoyo in my lab."

"Um, so now I annoy you?"

Sam rolled her baby blues. "Of course not, well maybe sometimes."

Unconvinced, he squinted at her.

"Okay, sometimes you flat out infuriate me, piss me off, like now!"

"Feelings mutual, Carter." He winked. "Isn't love grand?"

"Yeah." She smirked. "But if you didn't pester me at least once a day, I'd go bonkers. In fact, when you don't show with coffee, Jell-O or cake I start to worry there's um . . .someone else." She glanced shyly at her riding boots.

"Like who?"

"Jack!"

"Hey, just curious." He shrugged and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Freya." She glanced up through her lashes.

Huh? "For crying out loud, Carter, she's an alien with a snake in her head." He grimaced with an open shudder.

Yeah, now whenever Freya came through the gate Jack hightailed it the other way. First, because he didn't trust her symboite Anise, secondly Freya's brazen ways scared the crap out of him. One would think Jack would be flattered the beautiful woman wanted to jump his bones. Not! And since she'd come onto him that first time, Freya managed to corner Jack twice over the last few months. Just last week she stuck her tongue in his ear and goosed him right in front of Hammond.

No more Mr. Nice Guy, Jack had asked Hammond, "Permission to deck the bitch, next time, Sir?"

Hammond had laughed and said, "Request denied, Colonel, but please do get a grip on the situation."

Oh, he'd get a grip all right, around that alien's bony neck! Apparently knowing how Jack felt for Carter turned Freya on more. So freaking weird! Why couldn't the snake like him instead of Daniel?

"She kissed you, twice in your holding cell."

"Oh that." Swell! Carter knows. How?

"Don't give me that Homer look. Daniel told me."

"I so own him!" He met her jealous gaze and gulped. "So she made a pass at me? Didn't even see it coming coz, I was thinking about you and how they thought we were Zatarcies. You know the whole, we were going to explode drama." Jack gave his most winning smile.

Sam didn't buy it. "She kissed you." She crossed her arms and gave her wanna kick-your-butt look.

"Yes well she, it, whatever, kissed me, but . . . " He twirled a finger to emphasis. "It was freaking uncomfortable. Said she wanted to thank me for saving her life twice."

"By kissing her?"

"Nah ah!" He waved. "Freya kissed me. Where she comes from they're pretty open with the kissing thing." And doing the nasty. Nope best not mention that, Jack.

Sam glared harder.

"Told her I'd do it for anybody."

"Kiss them." Sam's light eyebrows gathered like a storm front.

"No! Save anyone's life. Heck, Sam, I meant I wasn't interested."

"And the second kiss?"

"Hey, got to give the snake an 'A' for persistence." He snickered then shut up.

"Did you like it?" Another ice blue glint as Sam did her hyperventilating huff.

"Give me a break, Carter!" He rubbed his throbbing temples. "I'm a guy. All guys like being kissed by a hot woman." Oy!

"So now she's hot? Maybe if I strutted around the SGC wearing a latex halter top and hip-huggers showing off my belly and thong straps, you'd think I was hot too!"

Oh yeah, Sam wearing that outfit would be sexy and the thong straps even better. However catching her murderous glint, he dropped his head in defeat. "Hey listen, this exchange is getting us nowhere fast. Yes the snake kissed me. Did I enjoy it? Hell no! Did not." He waved his pointer fingers. "Why, because I'm in love with you. Heck, even if Freya had walked in buck-naked I'd done the same. I only touched her to push her off me, Sam. I said, she should be out helping prove you and I weren't Zatarcies and quickly escorted her to the door." He emphasized proudly.

The strained silence grated Jack's nerves. He stole a glance to find her thinking way too much.

"You could have told me," she murmured.

"Yes, well there's that. I didn't see any sense complicating an all ready complicated situation. I mean. I'd just about gotten my brain barbecued."

"To save me." She reminded him gently.

"Yes." He nodded reflectively. "I'll do anything for you, Sam. And truth is, I haven't thought about that encounter with Freya until you brought it up."

"Really?" She looked over at him, her eyes moist with tears.

"Gosh, Carter, it's me you're talking to, old faithful, one woman Jack. Why you're more woman than I deserve, let alone am able to handle." Yeah, been enough explosive situations between them to prove handling Carter was no piece of cake. Present state of affairs included.

Sam leaned in and whispered, "Thank you."

"Ahh, it's nothing." He grinned back, wanting to kiss her. Timing's everything with Carter. This was not the time.

"Yes it is."

Huh? 'Is she reading my mind?'

"You're my safe bet, Jack O'Neill. I depend on you far more than you know." She smiled for him.

"You do?" His brows did their caterpillar dance across his forehead. Why did he feel he was being setup . . . again?

"And not just with my heart, when it comes to field missions I'd follow you to hell and back."

"I believe we've been there, done that." He rubbed the dull ache in his right knee from a staff weapon blast on a present non-existent moon-like-Hell. Jack had tried to keep Apophis' guards from taking Sam to make her drink the Blood of Sokar, a strong narcotic that caused hallucinations. Yeah, that'd been as close to Hades as he wanted to get. He knew Sam felt the same.

"Remember one of our first missions with those Mongols?"

"Hello! Of course I remember you and that blue silk number with the veil. I almost ravished you in that tent, you know." He winked.

"Tell me about it." She grinned. "But I'm referring to when I fought Turghan."

"Ah, yes. Macho man." Jack scowled and crossed his arms, then grinned. "You beat the crap out of him."

"I did, didn't I?"

"Yeah." He smiled broader.

"And you let me."

"Um, didn't have any choice, Sam." He scratched his head. "You accepted his challenge before I could."

"You mean you were going to."

"As your CO yes. But you opened your big mouth and besides I knew you could take him."

"Really?" She sent a suspicious glint his way.

"Sure." He winced, recalling how he tried use his pistol and got stopped. Probably best not to mention that. "Just what's your point here?"

"That after that incident I realize just how much you believed in my abilities to defend myself and be a part of your team."

"Sam, I've never doubted your skills or intelligence. And as the guy who loves you and wants to protect you at all costs, the part of me that's your CO has always tried to let you spread your wings and take the same risks I expect each of my team members to take. You better also know that there's no one else I want watching my six, but you, Carter."

As if on the same wavelength, Sam grimaced. "Jack, you're the only CO I trust with my life. So if you leave there's no reason for me to stay on. Yes we are opposites and yet those foibles compliment us. We work best together, not apart. SG-1 isn't the SGC's flagship team for nothing. It's because you lead us. You're the heart and soul of SG-1." She touched his tense jaw and stared into his eyes.

When it came to manipulating, Jack O'Neill no one did it better. "You're evil, Sam." He sighed.

"I know." She struggled to smile.

Jack saw she doubted her argument had any impact on him. Truth was it had far more affect than his ego admitted. He turned, strode into the briefing room and then stared out the window that overlooked the Stargate ready room. That ancient gate had changed his life and his bitter attitude toward life.

If it not for that first mission to Abydos, he'd be six-feet under with a self-inflicted, gun shot to his brain and far worse not entering those pearly gates of heaven. Although he had hoped that depression-influenced suicide was an exception to the rule. Meanwhile, he'd never have met Daniel, Teal'c, George, Janet, Cassie or Sam. Yeah, Sam had become his sole reason to climb out of bed every morning, even if it was alone.

Jack long ago realized he'd fallen short in the love and caring department when he'd had Sara and Charlie in his life. The selfish bastard that he'd been, he'd not only failed to love them well, he'd failed to care that he'd failed. The moment he met Sam again at that White House party the dark part of his nature began to change. Heck long before that, she'd gotten under his skin.

And three years back, when this compassionate nurturing woman was willing to die with an alien child, now lovingly known, as Cassandra Fraiser became another turning point in his life. It made Jack acknowledge how much he loved Sam. Made him take a hard look at himself, and what he needed to change for the better, especially, how to treat the people who loved him. He had never known how to really love until he'd known Samantha Carter. He was still learning.

Yep, his beautiful, headstrong, intelligent, gentle, courageous, and honorable 2IC had given him a purpose to live and it wasn't just to rid the galaxy of the Goa'uld. Jack tried to think of more adjectives to describe her. They eluded him. Sam was all that mattered. And even she wouldn't let him have her yet, least not the way he wanted. Irish pride reared its ugly head. Between George's seventeen markers and Sam's threat to walk, what other choice did he have? Then again, pride cometh before the fall. So he stood there like the ass he was glaring at the Gate, muttering and cursing in his typical O'Neill fashion. Loudly.

In tune to his needs, Sam waited patiently until he was done venting and had dropped his forehead against the coolness of the window's pane.

"Hey." She strolled up behind him and slipped her arms about his lean waist, rested her chin on his shoulder and then gazed at that portal to other worlds.

"Hey." He captured her strong delicate hands and hugged them to his waist.

"You okay?"

"Depends which 'okay,' you're referring to, Dorothy?"

She propped her chin on his shoulder." which one you want to talk about, the Stargate or us?"

"Multiple choice, huh?"

"Are they?" Her breath tickled his ear and shot straight to his groin.

Jack groaned. Sam was right. For now they were one and the same. "You really think we can keep doing this?" He gazed at the Gate knowing in his heart that he wanted too.

"Have too. Until earth is free from the Goa'uld we're a packaged deal, O'Neill. But for the record, I do want that church wedding and your 3.2 babies someday, but-"

"What?"

"These." Sam reached under his shirt collar and pulled out his dog tags, then held his reflection in the window. "You once promised that if you ever decided to walk away from this." She looked at the Gate. "You'd leave these for me to find, preferably on my pillow. They weren't there."

Turning together, Jack brought her into his arms. "Umm, subconscious screw-up? Selective memory? Midlife crisis moment?" How could he have forgotten something so important?

"None of the above. Neither of us are willing to give that up, Jack." She pointed at the Gate. "Besides you wouldn't last one week topside." She fingered the tags and grinned.

"Don't think so?"

"Nope. Not a chance."

"I'd go fishing."

"Without me?"

"Do that all the time."

"Can't do it forever."

"Sam?"

"Yes?"

"Stop thinking so much, you're giving me a headache."

"What kind?" She nibbled his earlobe.

"Come here and find out?" He pulled her into him. Her breath hitched and he grinned lustfully.

"Whoa! She flustered squirming closer. "I believe that's against regs." She gazed down between them.

"Never argue with mother nature." He nuzzled her neck, and felt the nubs of her breasts rub his chest. "Apparently you don't either."

Sam pulled back, glancing down at the evidence in her sweater and blushed. Then her eyes widened with realization. "Yikes! Camera!" She gestured above them and motioned to pull away.

"Hammond shut them all off," he rumbled into her sweet scented hair while his hands caressed her hips and locked about her waist.

"Smart General." She fell back against him.

"Yep, a true Texan," which reminded him, "Hey, my note said I'd gone for groceries, so how'd you know?"

"Like you said, true blue Texan." She trailed her lips across his neck.

"Ah," Jack nodded. "Or just a conniving CO, determined to keep his flagship team in one piece?"

"Yeah." She kissed his jaw and giggled. "Looks good on paper." She glanced up. "He really put you through the wringer, huh?"

Jack rolled his eyes. "Let's just say he went where no man has gone before at least into the O'Neill-Carter universe."

"Holy Hannah! What did you tell him?" Her blues rounded up with concern.

"Relax, Babe, it's not what I told him, but what he told me. Apparently off and on the ice, you and I are a matched set. Sort of like Homer and Marge."

"Well, I could have told you that."

"Yeah, would have been a lot less painful." He winced. "Still, if I stay on, there's the issue about me making the right calls down the line. I don't know if I can where you're concerned."

"Ssh." She pressed a fingertip to his open lips. "Like General Hammond, if I ever think I can't or you can't do what's expected of us here or in the field, I'll be the first to say so and as my CO you'll do the same for me, right?"

"Right." He smiled into her ocean blue eyes and got lost. "Aw isn't that what I just did?"

"You were under the influence, Sir, I believe it's called, a conflict of the heart."

'Oh.' Jack silently mouthed the word and nodded. How'd she do that? "So?"

"So."

"We 'okay,' again, Sam?"

"Oh, yeah, 'forever okay,' Jack." She gazed up and smiled amorously.

"Excellent! Because I'd love to show you my trees." He roguishly wiggled his brows and smirked.

"Umm, not etchings?" she sounded suspicious.

"Nope. Just trees. But not just any trees. Our trees." He winked relaying his double meaning of their secret spot at The Garden of the God's park.

"So is there a special tree among these trees?" She played along.

"Yeah sure yabetcha. An ancient blue spruce with a heart and our initials, along with a bottle of refined wine and aged cheese to go with this cranky, old CO who has one huge crush on his beautiful and brilliant 2IC."

"Oh, man! You do know how to wine and dine a gal."

Oh, it's nothing, really." He shrugged. "Only the best for, my Dorothy."

"You are the best, my Scarecrow." She turned her face and swept her soft lips across his whiskered jaw toward his mouth.

"And still retired," Jack pulled her harder against him as a groan rumbled from his chest.

"Umm." Sam found his mouth, kissing him softly, then dragging her tongue along his lower lip and nibbling with her teeth.

Oh, yeah! Jack went for the goal! His mouth parted and his hungry tongue found hers. They deserved at least one long tongue dueling kiss before-

"O'Neill and Carter get your butts to the Control Room now!"

Stunned by Hammond's crude abruptness, they pulled back and stared at the intercom.

"He's pissed." Jack's mouth went sour.

"Yeah, so not like him." Sam slipped reluctantly from his arms and rushed into Hammond's office.

Jack followed at a snail pace, sulking. Crap! Would they ever get to be lovers, to be husband and wife?

"You're sure he's not watching?" Sam rearranged her sweater and finger combed her hair.

Adjusting himself, Jack shook his head. "Not his style."

"Didn't think so." She withheld her gaze and snatched her jacket out of the chair.

"Whoa, I'm starved." Jack's nausea had been replaced by hunger pains and growling.

"Okay, after we speak with the General, let's get some breakfast in the commissary."

"Or I could still scramble us that omelet," he said in his seductive voice, "Then we could do the park for a midday lunch."

"Umm, well . . ." she sounded reluctant.

"Commissary it is." Jack submitted begrudgingly to his fate and then griped like her CO, "Hey, Carter, we're still on downtime, right?" Hands crammed in his pockets with thumbs out, he leaned against the briefing room door's jam, crossed his feet and waited for her reaction.

"Yeah." She turned back and gave him her wicked smile. "So does this mean I'm to call you, Sir again, Sir?"

"Funny," he mocked, his arms empty without her.

Her beautiful smile faded with the dismal consequence of his decision.

"Depends on what Hammond's barking about though. Hey, that reminds me. Back in our Ops days how many times did I save your sorry little. . . ?"

"Unscheduled incoming wormhole!"

The chevrons began to dialup the Gate.

"Sounds serious, Colonel." Sam dropped back into their practiced roles and picked up her pace, exiting Hammond's office, through the briefing room and toward the stairs.

"It was." On her heels, he realized they were talking different issues. "Hey, I'm not going back to that warped purple tree world or the swamp moon with those creepy, bloodsuckin' spider thingys again!" He physically shook.

"But I found samples of Naquadria on that moon." She beamed over her shoulder.

"Carter!"

"What?" she mimicked and then laughing stepped off down the stairs.

Jack sighed. Maybe hanging around here a little longer wasn't so bad. He'd see more of Sam than off base. Watching the sexy swing of his leggy 2IC in her snug jeans, he pondered just how long before he'd see her without them and find the exact location of her mole.

"Maybe Apophis has his hands in the Tok'ra cookie jar again, Sir."

"Well there's that." A grin splitting his face, Jack appreciated Sam's curvy rearview, knowing just whose cookie jar he wanted to climb into. "One can only wish, Carter, one can only wish."

~~~Fin~~~

Watch for Choices of the Heart the sequel to Conflict of the Hearts.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 6+ - Wishes Of The Heart by HailDorothy
Wishes Of The Heart/ Part 6+/Chosen Heart Series

Wishes Of The Heart/ Part 6+/Chosen Heart Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: After the Entity incident Sam had convinced Jack to remain CO of SG-1. But now Sam's own doubts about mixing love with duty is challenged when SG-1 becomes sealed inside the Ancients 'Cave of Wishes.' Sam's wish comes true and jeopardizes her relationship with Jack as well the future of SG-1.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Filk/Song, Hurt/Comfort, Missing Scene/Epilogue, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 107 The Nox, 117 Solitudes, 209 Secrets, 405 Divide and Conquer, 406 Window of Opportunity, 410 Beneath the Surface, 412 Tangent, 420 Entity
Season: Season 4
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-12-28

Title: Wishes of the Heart/Chosen Hearts Series - S4 Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Category: Missing Episode, Romance/Humor/Friendship/Angst Warnings: Some language and sexual content Pairing: Jack/Sam Others: Teal'c, Daniel, Cassandra, Hammond, Fraiser, Nox/Lya Season: End of S4 after 420 Entity and before 421 Double Jeopardy Spoilers: 420 Entity, 412 Tangent, 410 Beneath The Surface, 406 Window of Opportunity, 405 Divide and Conquer, 209 Secrets, 115 Singularity, 107 The Knox. Rating: 13+ File size: 198 KB Archived: Heliopolis, Jackfic, GateWorld, SamandJack

Author's Notes: Read 'Conflict of the Heart' first. With a few obvious exceptions, I remain true to canon.

Summary One: After the Entity incident Sam had convinced Jack to remain CO of SG-1. But now Sam's own doubts about mixing love with duty is challenged when SG-1 becomes sealed inside the Ancients 'Cave of Wishes.' Sam's wish comes true and jeopardizes her relationship with Jack as well the future of SG-1.

Summary Two: Even if you haven't read the Chosen Heart series, this fic explains the lack of acknowledged ship between Jack and Sam in Seasons 5, 6, and 7. They never stopped loving each other, but the fate of earth took precedence to their wannabe-lovers relationship.

Summary of the 'Chosen Hearts Series': This is an established storyline in which Jack and Sam fell in love during Jack's first retirement. When Jack is re-commissioned and Sam inadvertently assigned his subordinate, they pretend to be strangers and put their wannabe lovers relationship on hold. Little do they realize it will not be a matter of months, but years, before they can follow through on the desire of their 'Chosen Hearts.'

Song: 'Mama Said', The Shirelles (c)19?

Special thanks to my betas', Carol Sue and DinkyDow who possess the left brained logic I don't. You ladies have patience beyond measure and aren't afraid to tell me when I've stepped out of character or crossed the sacred line of SG-1 canon.

Thanks to Almighty God. You gave me the gift of the bards. I'm forever grateful!

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series may include script excerpts from the TV Series 'Stargate SG-1.' This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy December 27, 2004 (c).

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please??? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

~*~

CHAPTER ONE

'Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this Mama said (Mama said, mama said) Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this my Mama said (Mama said, mama said)

I went walking the other day, Everything was going fine, I met a little boy named 'Jack O'Neill' And then I almost lost my mind Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this Mama said (Mama said, mama said)

Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this my Mama said My eyes are wide open But all that I can see is, Chapel bells are callin' for everyone but-a me but I don't worry cause Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this Mama said (Mama said, mama said)

Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this my Mama said And then she said someone will look at me like I'm looking at you one day, then I might find I don't want it any old way, so I don't worry cause Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this Mama said (Mama said, mama said)

Mama said there'll be days like this, There'll be days like this my Mama said Mama said, mama said Hey! Don't you worry, Mama said mama said Hey! Don't you worry now. Mama said mama said, Hey! Hey!'

~*~

So much for early retirement: Moon PXC-779

War was hell!

Goa'uld fire surrounded SG-1. Death gliders hammered the ground. The air was thick with dust and scorched earth. Jack swore they were back on that inferno moon, Eron!

Daniel on his right flank, Teal'c on his left and as always, Sam on Jack's six. Nothing like being outnumbered and out-maneuvered by freaking snakeheads!

Leaping off the boulder for cover, Jack turned and engaged the tensed expression of his 2IC before she wasted another Jaffa with her zat. Jack whirled and caught three more with his P90. Teal'c took out an incoming death glider with his staff weapon. Daniel fired at three approaching Jaffa on his left.

Trying to stay a live Jack's mind raced. It'd been two days since Sam's release from the Entity. That emergency call from General Hammond in the Gate Room had proven to be a distress signal from the Tok'ra. Jacob/Selmak and another Tok'ra had been captured by one of Apophis' under-lords. Well they managed to recover Jacob and escape by the skin of their teeth. Per usual, Dad had to fly off in the opposite direction of the universe. So Jacob dropped them off on a supposed uninhabited tropical moon with a gate. So much for that supposed part.

Of course Daniel had to snoop around. He was tickled fuchsia pink to find signs that the Knox might inhabit the moon. The linguist swore they were here somewhere. 'Yeah, right, Space Monkey. No bird nest hairdos to be found!'

They'd hiked in about six clicks from the gate when the Jaffa dropped in for an unsocial visit. Hosed in on all sides, it looked grim. Hopeless crossed his mind. Jack prayed hard between breathes.

A bluish white light pulsed around them. It was the third time Jack had noticed it, but with the enemy breathing down their necks it was not priority.

"Sir! Four at three O'clock!" Carter yelled.

Jack flipped onto his belly and fired at the advancing Jaffa. A death glider flew at them, firing. Teal'c's staff weapon made a direct hit. The glider collided with the granite wall that had kept them pinned down. Rocks and stones rumbled from hundreds of feet up the wall as an avalanche let loose, not to mention death glider wreckage. Shit!

Daniel and Teal'c bolted. Jack caught Sam and rolled. They cleared the falling debris that tumbled down the pass taking out a good share of the Jaffa below them like bowling pins. The blue-white light flickered again. Jack felt lightheaded but it quickly passed.

"You, kids, all right?" He pushed off of Carter and glanced around, swearing. He and Sam had suffered some scratches and bruises but otherwise they were okay.

"I am, O'Neill." Teal'c shoved to his feet, but looked disorientated. Jack noticed the Jaffa touch his pouch to check on Junior.

"Sure, fine, Jack. Hey'd you guys see that blue light again?"

"Indeed." Teal'c agreed.

Sam nodded.

Jack grunted.

"Wow look at this." Daniel's voice lilted with excitement.

"Not Now, Daniel!" Jack launched Sam to her feet, then caught up his P90 and inspected it. "This reprieve won't last. We've got to find cover."

"That's what I'm trying to tell you!" Daniel pointed at a small cavity in the mountain about four yards off. "Looks like the entrance to a man made structure."

Jack glanced at the perfectly rectangle aperture and then glanced at Sam, who was already on the matter, toying with her instruments. "Carter?"

"Looks safe, sir, just got to check the-"She startled at the sound of more incoming death gliders and stuffed the telemetry equipment into her vest pocket.

They raced for the cave. A bluish white light glowed from inside the yawning cavern. No one hesitated running for it. If anything thing it seemed to beckon them. Jack's heart warmed and a peace that surpassed all understanding wrapped around him. This was their way out. This was their way home. 'Kansas, here we come!'

A death glider fired.

Teal'c halted and returned fire allowing his team time to escape into the cavern's light.

They did.

~*~

Jack, Daniel, and Sam escaped the Goa'uld search party and clambered into a low ceiling cavern that shut around them, sealing them in darkness.

Not a light in sight!

Crap!

"This sucks!" Jack tried to get his bearings. Why, oh why, hadn't he stayed retired?

"Sir, you here?"

Oh, yeah that's why. "Here, Carter, somewhere . . ." He reached out claiming stale air. "Teal'c?"

"He didn't make it." Sam said with regret.

"Dang!"

Someone sneezed.

"Daniel?"

"Jack?"

"Yeah. That you?"

"Yes."

"Watch the hands, Danny Boy!"

"That was so not me," Daniel defended.

"Umm, sorry, Colonel, that was me, sir."

"Oh that's different, Carter." He grinned.

"Hope so, sir."

"Seems to be a manmade rectangular stone structure." Daniel concluded in his scientist tone.

"With a magnetic field, which could explain why our equipment won't work and our zats won't fire, Colonel O'Neill, sir."

'What's with Carter? If she said sir or Colonel one more time I'm going to strangle her. Of course, I could just kiss her. Nope, can't do that either. Dang!'

"Look at it this way, people. If we can't get out, the Jaffa obviously can't get in."

"And that helps us how, sir?"

"Umm, we're alive?"

"True, Colonel, sir." She conceded none too enthusiastically.

Jack tried to find something else to be grateful about. "Well, not being seen or seeing anything is sort of cool." Which, he admitted to have thought when they had been scrambling for cover.

"Speak for yourself, Jack," Daniel muttered, crawling about swearing and not in English.

"I am." Jack eased up along his 2IC, their arms and thighs brushing. Jack enjoyed the brief contact. As much as he wanted to hold her, he resisted. Even in the darkness the blasted regs taunted him. And then he started worrying about Teal'c. He wished that the brave warrior were safe and alive.

"For one, I don't like the dark," Daniel griped.

"Afraid of the bogyman, Daniel?"

Jack received Sam's elbow.

"Ow! What?" he whispered.

"Touchy subject, sir," she answered softly.

'Oh,' he mouthed and nodded before remembering she couldn't see him.

Daniel however didn't let it go. "After my parents died, the so called bogyman visited me a lot and might I add, he was not so much scary as annoying. A lot like you Jack. Loud, cranky, but with combable hair and rotten breath."

"I'm sure there's a compliment in there somewhere."

"Don't dig too deep." Daniel snipped.

"A bit testy are we?"

Daniel muttered something Jack decided was not nice.

"So you okay, Carter?"

"Considering the alternative of being blasted by staff weapons, yes." She dropped her head against his shoulder and sighed. "Hope Teal'c's alright."

"Yeah, me too." Jack scrubbed his face and groaned at his incompetence. He should have been on Teal'c's six. Damn, he hated leaving someone behind, especially Teal'c. This was Jack's fault! Why hadn't he noticed? Because was watching Sam's six!

"Wish I knew what happened to the doorway, sir."

"Hey, Daniel, you're our brilliant archeologist and linguist."

"Your point, Jack?"

"Get us out of here!"

"Jack, if you haven't noticed, like you and Sam, I'm blind as a bat and I can't find any raised inscriptions on these walls to decipher."

"In other words, you don't know?"

"Gee, ya think?"

"Don't patronize me, Daniel."

"Someone has to."

"Arguing will not get us out of here, boys."

"Boys?" Jack's CO bravado kicked in.

"Well, Colonel, sir, that's how you're both acting and if Teal'c were here, he'd agree."

"Yes. Geez, I wonder where Teal'c's at."

"Obviously not here, Jack."

"Know that."

"I'm sure he's okay, sir."

Jack sighed and cursed himself.

"Ditto." Daniel added.

A long unsettled silence fell between them. Jack hoped that a Goa'uld had not captured his warrior brother.

"Hey, there's fresh air blowing in from overhead." Sam observed with a snappish voice.

Jack had been aware that since they'd gated this morning, Sam had been more tense then usual. Tense however was a given for his 2IC along with mentally preoccupied. What had been more apparent was her standoffish behavior. He sensed she was over compensating for their personal involvement, especially after the Entity incident. Which explained her overkill of formal address. There'd been no intimate contact between them since that morning in Hammond's office. Jack was actually surprised her head was on his shoulder but he sure wasn't going to kick her off.

Of course the fact that his 2IC had also misread her instruments and they were in this godforsaken hole, probably hadn't helped. Yeah, everyone made mistakes, but this was so not Carter. He knew it was eating her and when they got back to the SGC he'd have to address it. He suspected her inadequate downtime after the Entity incident a major contribution. Maybe they'd go fishing. Yeah right! In his dreams!

When Sam lifted her head Jack cursed his misfortune. Like Sam, he knew even that act had been inappropriate. No doubt, his head was in charge and it wasn't the one attached to his neck.

Once again, his mind was in the cookie jar. He envisioned Sam's beautiful firm breasts, her long, shapely legs. Yeah those legs drove him absolutely bonkers. And then her thighs and oh yeah, he thought way too much about the rest of her anatomy. Was it getting hot in here! He imagined his wife beneath him as he caressed her and brought her to-

"Holy Hannah!"

"Carter?"

"I'm-fine, sir." Sam gulped for air and gripped his right thigh.

"Sure?" He squinted at her, but saw only black. Her nails dug deeper. Geez! Carter was clutching his upper thigh near his-

"Where and how that air is venting through is the million dollar question." Daniel interrupted their tensed silent exchange.

"Yep," was all Jack could choke out as he yanked his mind out of the gutter and back to their predicament. They were stuck in a freaking cave. "Hey, we've been in worse situations before, right?"

"It's all relative, sir," she sounded calmer.

So not the answer he was looking for. "Okay then, let's each take a wall."

"And do what?" Daniel collapsed somewhere nearby.

"Decide which one to blow with C4?" Sam's fingers were stroking upward and inward. Wow! He should stop her but his other talking head said no way!

"Area's too small, sir. Depending on what these walls are made of, we'd either go deaf or explode with it," Sam said in gasps, as if panting.

"Fine. Then let's feel our way out." Speaking of feeling. Sam had stopped caressing him. Jack was deciding if that was a good or bad thing.

"Man, oh man, sir!"

"Now what?"

"You're groping me!" Yep she was breathless.

"I so don't want to hear this," Daniel chimed in.

"Hey, Major, loved to take credit, but got one hand on my knee and the other here." He reached out and patted her shoulder. And just who's groping who?' he wanted to ask.

"Daniel!" she accused.

"Heck, no. He'd kill me!"

"Got that right!"

"Holy Hannah, then who-?"

"Carter?" Jack clutched air.

"Sam? Jack?"

"She's gone!"

"How ya know?"

"Because I just had my arm around her and she vanished." A long cold silence ensued while Jack crawled around the tight, dark, grotto searching for Carter.

Daniel did the same.

Jack's knees rebelled. He'd slammed his head against the low ceiling. "Ah, crap! So, find anything?" He rubbed his aching crown.

"No. Um, Jack?"

"What?"

"Are you breathing heavy right now?"

"No."

"Please tell me you didn't gargle with mouthwash this morning?"

"Did."

"Didn't?"

"Did!"

"Shit!"

"My breath?"

"It's . . ." Daniel made an audible gulp.

"What?"

"Whatever it is that just breathed on me has shitty breath."

"Argh!"

"Jack?"

"Daniel?"

"We're screwed aren't we?"

"Ya think?" ~*~

CHAPTER TWO

'Be careful what you wish for . . .'

~*~

Other than the fact she was now alone, Sam remained in darkness. A moment ago, she had been being groped by who she'd assumed was the Colonel. Which was really strange because that's what she'd been fantasying. Jack intimately touching her, kissing her, and making her-Whoops! And then her military code of ethics reared its ugly head and she'd needed to be away from him, out of there, pronto. That's when she'd accused her CO of well, you know. How embarrassing! He'd never do that on duty.

So whose hand had been down her shirt and the other hand literally in her pants? And just when she questioned who or what she was soaring upward then dropped firmly but gently on her butt. She'd gone hoarse calling for Jack, Daniel and Teal'c. At least this compartment was big enough she could stand upright and a ventilation system overhead delivered heat and fresh air.

SG-1's imprisonment in this stupid complex was her fault. Despite being chased by the Goa'uld, she'd been distracted being with the man she loved. Otherwise, she'd have seriously checked her telemetry readings and seen the magnetic field before they hightailed it inside.

She could still hear Jack muttering, "Good one, Carter!" Of course he had been aware he'd said it, but he'd been right. It was her mistake they were in this hole of a mess and she was on a major culpability trip. Sam was not used to screwing up, let alone endangering her team.

Sam sensed she was being watched. Several times she'd called out, but no one answered. Finally, when she'd had no choice but to squat in a corner to relieve herself Sam was transported onto what felt like a toilet and just in time. Beyond modesty, she let nature take its course.

Light would be nice. At least enough to see where she was and what she was doing. And then there was light! Sam jolted and rubbed her eyes. She could see and discern she was inside another solid walled room, but with a toilet in the corner.

Okay, she admitted she'd started thinking God was messing with her. It wouldn't be the first time He'd done something extreme to get her attention. And yet she felt this weirdly alien influence. Weird didn't describe what was happening. It seemed whatever or whoever her jailer was, could read her mind. An hour later, Sam was still scared, curious, but most of all missing Jack. She wondered if he and Daniel were all right, wondered if Teal'c had escaped the Jaffa. Sam feared to think about what the Goa'uld would do to Teal'c. Better to think of something else. So she started to do what she did too much of, think.

Jack and Sam.

Jack and I.

Jack and me.

Jack, Jack, Jack! It was like she couldn't think about anything else, but Jack. Not even, about how to get the out of this dang black box.

Colonel, Sir! Man oh man, how she hated those titles! Jack hated them more when they babbled out of her mouth every other sentence. She wasn't a green horn lieutenant let alone a captain anymore. She was his 2IC and he'd cut her slack on address to show his respect and friendship. She knew he was annoyed less than an hour after they'd gated yesterday.

"You got a warped fixation with titles, Carter?" He'd grumbled.

"No, Colonel O'Neill, sir." She saluted before she could stop herself.

"Argh!" He'd stomped off spewing profanities she'd never heard, even from him.

Not to mention that once they'd rescued Dad, she got worse and went out of her way to stay clear of Jack. Sam spent every moment with Dad. Fortunately Dad didn't mind. Like that was a revelation. Sam couldn't help it. She had to keep things in perspective especially the fact Jack was her CO and as usual she'd overcompensated. And so Sam kept thinking. The force shield on Apophis' ship, the Zat'arc test, mind-stamped, and then being possessed by the Entity. Lately, everything came back to her and Jack. Sam thought about their dysfunctional love affair and wedding vows on Chulak, vows never consummated. Well least not to neither one's sworn knowledge.

Yet her heart and gut instinct told her otherwise. There'd been definite physical evidence she'd not shared with Jack. So why hadn't she? Because she'd seen the relief in his chocolate eyes when she'd said she didn't think they had. Because their military mindset insisted they would not break the regulations, no matter how drugged they'd been. Who was she kidding? No matter how manipulative, Jack had retired so they could make love guilt free. Guilt free? Yeah right! Their hearts and bodies continued to feel differently. The heart never lies.

So when did Doctor Major Samantha Carter take a back seat? Not that it was a bad thing, mind you. No it was wonderful, exhilarating, inebriating, liberating and a big, big, nasty distraction. The very reason they were stuck in this-this, whatever it was. Hellhole!

Yesiree, Sam's heart was steering the helm instead of her head and she didn't like it. Two nights before in Jack's arms, logic had flown the coup when she'd willingly, wantonly tried to seduce him. And had she known he'd been retired she would not have fallen asleep on the job. She'd made certain she was Jack's wife in the biblical aspect. And this time they'd have remembered every detail including that wondrous moment when they'd joined as one.

"And now what do you have, Carter?" She slammed her boot against a wall. "You sort of got a husband, sort of got your Colonel back, and you're miserable because you don't have the complete package with a money back guarantee.

"Oh, you put on a good bitchy front threatening to leave him and the SGC if he'd resigned. Yeah, right. And he bought it hook, line and sinker. No wonder he never catches any fish. And then you convinced him that you can be ma'am and he can be sir for however long this godforsaken Goa'uld war lasts. Which could be a decade or more! Are you willing to wait that long, Sam? Is he? And what about now? Do you play footsy under the commissary table, steal an occasional hug or kiss for another long suffering four or more years? Do you verbally make love over an alien Walkie-Talkie at night and during the day act like he's just your CO to the world?

"Heck, Samantha, he is your world!"

Sam couldn't believe it. She was crying. Crying with rage at the hand of cards fate had dealt them. Then again, Jack didn't believe in fate. Nope, it was all about free will and individual choices. So what were their choices? Jack's willing to retire and has been since that first Abydos mission. Yet wherever he and Daniel were, wondering where she was, Jack was having the adrenaline rush of his life. Just like her, that man thrived on stepping through the gate, never knowing what awaited them. His life had always been fast and dangerous and there was no reason she'd make him give that up, because of her petty need to be his lover and wife.

So what was she willing to give up to be with Jack? Stay behind and become the SGC in-house doctor of astrophysics? She could do that. But would she be happy with Jack out here and her there? No! She thrived on the action as much as he did and even more, she needed to be where ever he was. Needed to know he was all right. Why did it have to be so conflicting? Why couldn't they have both?

Sometimes, like now she wished she hadn't fallen in love with Jack at least not until later down the road. And yet she could not remember a day when she hadn't loved him. Every since the first time she'd heard his voice in their Black Ops days, she'd known the owner of that irreverent mouth would be her personal future. She could not imagine anyone else. Didn't want to. And yet this tiny voice in the back of her logical, military head wanted things the way they had been before she thought of the Colonel as Jack. When her personal feelings for the Colonel were locked away in a corner of her heart, where she only visited him alone at night in her dreams. When her career came first, when she didn't make life-threatening mistakes like she'd made today. Swiping at her tears, Sam curled up on the hard cold floor. Bed would be nice about now.

She blinked and stiffened. She was lying on a bed and not just any bed. Jack's bed! Sam bolted upright. In the illustrious words of her husband, this was wrong on so many levels!

"Okay!" She pushed to her feet and yelled out. "Enough fun and games. Who are you and what do you want from me?"

"Your happiness," came a reply that sounded like her voice.

"I am happy!"

"You deserve more."

"I don't think so!"

"Well, it is your life and your happiness we are discussing."

"Yes it is and I'll be a whole lot happier if you get me out of this stinking hole and back with my team members and then back home!"

"Is that all you require, Samantha Carter?"

"Is this a rhetorical question?" She mimicked Jack.

"Only if you want it to be."

"Oh, for crying out loud! As you seem to know what I want, why don't you just make it happen?"

"That is your choice to make, Samantha Jean Carter-O'Neill."

"Then I chose it now!"

~*~

"What the h-" Jack never got the words out of his mouth. One minute he was contemplating how to get out of the stupid cave and the next he was flying through the event horizon. When he came through the gate it was not on his feet. Hitting the ramp at full velocity, he bounced, rolled, landing face-up, on his aching back, facing the stunned expression of his CO.

"I hate when this happens!" He winced at Hammond.

General Hammond reached to help Jack up to his feet. "You all right, Colonel?"

"Just peachy, sir." Jack glanced back to find Sam nowhere in sight.

Daniel and Teal'c followed and rolled toward him with mutual grunts of pain and surprise.

"Close the Iris and get a medical team here, stat!" Hammond ordered. "Where's Major Carter?"

Sam flew out of the gate so fast it was like she'd been shot from a cannon. When she hit the ramp she went over the rail crashing onto the concrete floor and slamming the back of her head.

Jack was first to her side. "Carter!" Dropping to his knees he found her unconscious. Daniel and Teal'c followed. Daniel flexing his shoulder, Teal'c looking confused.

Janet ran up behind Jack. "Out of my way, sir!" She leaned over to examine Sam. "Get her on a gurney and to the infirmary ASAP!" She shouted to two medics.

"Is she all right?" Jack's memory replayed when he'd shot her five days before.

"Don't know, sir. She landed hard. Could be a broken neck or skull fracture." The doc secured Sam's neck and head in a Philadelphia collar before transporting her.

"Geez!" He shook his head and touched Sam's face. "Hang in there, Sam!"

"She can't hear you, Jack," Daniel explained.

Jack shot Daniel a shut the 'FX$%! up' look.

Daniel grimaced and nodded.

A moment later they were whisking Sam off to the infirmary. Jack followed and never looked back.

Hammond watched his 2IC leave with the Major then turned to Daniel and Teal'c. "So either of you care explain what the hell happened and why you were twelve hours overdue?"

"I was captured by Apophis' Jaffa and imprisoned on his ship. Suddenly I was coming through the gate," explained Teal'c.

Daniel rubbed his aching shoulder. "Similar, sir. Jack, Sam, and I were enclosed in a . . ."

Waving his hand, Hammond turned candy apple red. "I want a briefing in my office in twenty minutes and make sure the Colonel is there. Dismissed!" He walked away angrily.

"Wow. Does he seem a little tense, Teal'c?"

"Indeed." Teal'c frowned.

Daniel frowned. "Yeah, well let's go find out how Sam's doing."

Teal'c nodded and the two men hurried out the Gate Room. ~*~

CHAPTER THREE

~*~

Jack sat on the same chair in the same observation room, watching the woman he loved, suffering again. His thoughts ranged from down-out pleading prayers to language not even heard from a jarhead's mouth.

Janet turned from reading Sam's vitals and stuffed her hands into the pockets of her lab coat. "Colonel?"

Fiddling with an empty syringe Jack glanced up with his poker face.

Janet sighed.

He'd heard that sigh and seen those same tear-filled eyes just days ago. Shit!

"What?" He avoided her sympathetic gaze. He didn't want pity. He wanted Sam back.

"Sam has a severe cerebral head trauma and damage to the cortex."

Jack scrunched his face. "English, Doc."

"Her brainstem is bruised, there's a lot of swelling-" Janet's eyes misted up.

"You telling me she's going to die. . .again!" Jack shot to his feet and towered over the Napoleonic warmonger.

"Don't know, sir. I'm doing all I can. Even if she does recover, there could be permanent levels of damage, anywhere from range of motion, mobility and speech function, to severe memory loss."

"Oh, for crying out loud!" Jack bellowed as Daniel and Teal'c came around the corner, halting at Jack's outburst.

Grabbing Janet by her shoulders, Jack shook the petite doctor like a rag doll. "You fix her, you hear, or I'll -!"

The flash of fear that lit Janet's brown eyes and face didn't register with Jack, but it did with Daniel and Teal'c. Daniel was on him in seconds.

"Jack, get your hands off her!"

Teal'c pulled Jack away, pinning his arms behind him.

Daniel put his arm protectively around Janet.

The reality of his undisciplined behavior hit Jack. "Crap!" He apologetically looked at the stunned doctor, then jerked out of Teal'c grasp and stormed out the infirmary.

~*~

"You all right?" Daniel glanced at Janet who was hugging herself

"Yes." She nodded, although she was shook up. "I've never been afraid of him before, but this!"

"I know." Daniel shook his head. "So you going to report it to Hammond?" He hoped not.

Janet looked down at Sam. "Technically I should, Daniel."

Teal'c frowned. "O'Neill is in love with Major Carter."

Daniel and Janet nodded at the obvious.

"Therefore, I do not see why you are so surprised by his behavior, Doctor Fraiser."

"Yes well, his behavior is becoming increasingly unfit for an officer, Teal'c. When the Entity had Sam, Colonel O'Neill was emotionally strained."

"We all were, Janet." Daniel grimaced.

"Indeed." Teal'c reiterated.

Daniel nodded.

"Yes. But he managed to keep his feelings for Sam in control. Even when she'd recovered in this same bed, he restrained dignified and didn't-"

"Take her in his arms and kiss her," Daniel finished.

"Yes." Janet nodded with a frown.

"O'Neill has always shown respectful restraint in his feeling toward Major Carter. Other than speculation, I believe no other SGC personal realize they are in love." Teal'c exclaimed with the arch of a brow.

"Yes, well. If the Colonel openly displays his feelings again, as he just did, the rumor mill won't be spouting gossip anymore, but fact."

A long unsteady silence fell between the three as they turned and looked at Sam being kept alive by the medical equipment.

"Sam's my best friend and she survives this physical ordeal and the truth of their relationship ever gets out, it will literally kill her career." Janet drew a long breath then blew it out.

"I disagree." Daniel vented. "Sam and Jack knew the consequences when they first met. And I know they did everything possible to not fall in love. But they did. I assume if the truth comes out, one of them will ask to be reassigned or Jack would resign."

Janet shook her head. "Guys, the issue is the Colonel's emotional disposition. Up until now he's kept his emotions in check, which in his position is to be expected, especially since his conduct affects everyone at the SGC. And that affects how he works under stress on off world missions with Sam and visa versa. Until now, I worried more about Sam than I did the Colonel."

"I did not see anything to concern myself with while we were together today, did you, Daniel Jackson?"

Daniel looked at his feet. "Well, I-."

Janet elbowed him.

"Yeah, just once. But," he held up a hand, "It could have happened to anyone."

"What?" Janet probed.

"Sam didn't check for a magnetic force field before we entered the cave. That's why we got locked inside."

Janet sighed. "Does the Colonel know this?"

"Yeah," Daniel muttered.

"And the General."

"Probably not."

"He should."

"Sure."

"Well based on what just happened and what you've told me, even if Sam pulls through this, my recommendation is the Colonel and Sam no longer work together and that I will relay to the general."

Teal'c nodded reluctantly. "As much as I am inclined to defend O'Neill and the major's personal feelings, such a decision maybe best for SG-1."

"Hey, let me talk to Jack first." There was no way SG-1 would be broken up if Daniel had something to say about it.

"The damage is already done." Janet touched Daniel's forearm. "For everyone's sake, especially theirs, it will be best this way."

Daniel gapped, but didn't argue. As Jack would say, this sucks.

~*~

It was the briefing from Enron. Especially when Jack said little and Daniel had to fill in the gaps. Including Sam's failure to read her telemetry readings.

"This is not acceptable, Colonel." Hammond stared at his stone-faced 2IC.

Jack looked over and nodded. "With all due respect, General, I tried to tell you that Saturday morning."

Daniel and Teal'c glanced from one man to the other as if they'd missed something. Jack was glad they had.

"This briefing is closed. Doctor Jackson, Teal'c you are dismissed." Hammond stated then addressed Jack, "In my office, Colonel."

Jack barely nodded as he stood. Hammond entered his office and slammed the door.

"Jack?" Daniel walked up to Jack.

Resigned to his fate, Jack didn't look Daniel or Teal'c in the eye. "Look, kids, if Hammond doesn't can my ass now, I'm relieving myself of command of SG-1."

Daniel stepped in his path. "You can't!"

"Watch me! Now go check on Carter." He walked around Daniel and entered Hammond's office, slamming the door even harder. ~*~

CHAPTER FOUR

~*~

Hammond didn't fire Jack or accept his resignation, but he did say there would be changes. Jack didn't need it spelled out. He or Sam would be reassigned. Jack insisted he was officially retired. He and Hammond were at a standoff. At this point he didn't give a rat's ass. His only concern was that Sam fully recovered.

His second apology to Fraiser was sincere and accepted, but he doubted the petite doctor would ever look at him the same. Jack deeply regretted that. He'd been undisciplined and had threatened another officer, let alone a physician who outranked him when it came to medical issues. It was amazing she even let Jack in the infirmary. Far worse, he thought that dark side from his past was long buried. The fact it had resurfaced scared the shit out of him.

Sam's condition remained critical but stable for five more days. When Fraiser considered moving Sam to the base hospital, Jack protested. So did Hammond. Janet gave in. Jack never left Sam's side except to shower and grab a few catnaps. He lost ten pounds and found himself on Fraiser's observation list. The day Sam came off life support and was upgraded to serious but stable, Janet ordered Jack to sleep and to regain the weight or he wouldn't be allowed to see Sam. Meanwhile they'd devised a round the clock sit and talk to Sam routine.

Daniel and Teal'c alternated, but the last time Daniel showed and tried to talk to Jack about the Entity, Jack verbally kicked him out. Right now, he wanted nothing better than excuse to knock Daniel's light out.

Cassie came when she could, which was at least once a day. Jack realized if it wasn't for Cassie's unconditional love and support, he'd have lost it.

~*~

Dozing, his hand on Sam's motionless right forearm, Jack reacted instinctively to the firm grip on his shoulder. He yanked the body attached to the hand roughly in front of him.

"Dad?"

"Geez, Cass!" He released her. "Sorry." He rubbed his tired eyes.

"Hey, understand." She bent and kissed his blue shadowed cheek. Jack pulled her into him and settled her on his lap. "Uncle Daniel warned me about the risk of waking you." She grinned.

"So how's, my best girl, today?" He hugged tight, smoothing her golden brown hair, that would have matched his own in his younger years.

"Good. But breakable." She grimaced at his selfish backbreaking embrace.

"Oh." He let go. "Sorry." He'd been saying that a lot of late.

"Don't be." She took one of his arms and linked it back around her waist. "The day you stop hugging or wanting me to sit on your lap, I'll become one cantankerous, incorrigible kid."

"Don't want that now." He chided smiling into her cute face and musing how much she'd picked up from Sam, including her three-syllable plus vocabulary.

"Nope."

Jack realized the teen knew how serious Sam's condition was this time. When she'd learned that she'd never been told about the Entity matter until after the fact, Janet paid dearly, as did Jack and the rest of the team. So here she was and he was glad, especially if things turned worse again. The last thing anyone needed was for Cassie to not be involved. Cassie was family. Cassie was Jack's other girl.

Reaching up Cassandra trailed her fingertips over Jack's drawn features. "Holy Hannah, have you looked in the mirror, lately?" She lisped slightly and scowled.

"No more than I have too, Sunshine."

"Well, ya look awful. One more bag under those brown eyes and I'll be able to move in, you know."

"That bad, huh?"

Cassie nodded. "Dad, you're not doing Sam any good if you keep this up. She needs you to be strong when she comes around."

Jack stiffened. "Think so, huh?" He meant Sam coming around, but knew she meant him.

"Know so." She glanced up at the security camera, then at the observation booth and stuck her tongue out at the nurse. The nurse rolled her eyes and returned to her paperwork.

"And this Colonel wants his 2IC back in one piece. Hard to wallop Goa'uld without her watching my six, Cass. "

Nodding, Cassie looked into his eyes and smiled softly. "I know." Dang, was he that transparent?

She glanced at the security camera. "So like can they turn off that Big Brother and give you two some privacy?"

"This is a military infirmary, Cass. Privacy's not on the accommodation's list."

"Well that sucks."

"Hey, hey, watch the mouth, young lady."

"Hey, hey," she teased, "I learn from the best."

"Well there's that." He chuckled and then glanced back at Sam's pasty countenance and frowned. The constant whooshing noise of the ventilator broke the moment of reprieve. He held Cassie tighter and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Now you get some rest?" Cassie kissed his head and then slipped from his arms and motioned him out of the chair. He didn't budge. "Mom and I are going to walk down memory lane together, okay?"

Standing, Jack stiffened and looked into Cassie brown eyes. This was a first! "Why did you call her that, Cass?" He glanced around to make certain Janet wasn't in hearing range. It would kill the doc.

Cassie shrugged and faced him. "Don't know. I guess," tears warmed her eyes and she leaned into Jack and held tight whispering. "Coz, that's how I've always felt. I can call you, Dad, but I can't call Sam what I've felt since the day she rescued me. Yeah, we've talked this out before. I know Janet loves me and I love her too. She's great, really. And it's not like she doesn't know how I feel about you two. She does and she's okay with it. I feel a bond with you and Sam that I can't explain. And the older I get the stronger it becomes. Sometimes to a point it hurts to not be with you guys."

Jack held on and rocked the sobbing girl. He knew exactly what Cassie meant. It'd been there since that first day for him too and he knew Sam felt the same. He also felt the void when Cassie wasn't around. It was like a part of him was missing. And yeah, they'd had this discussion after he and Sam got married on Chulak. And here it was again. He wanted to say something, but all he could whisper was, "I love you, Cass. So does Sam. When you turn eighteen we can maybe work this out. For now you belong with Janet," his tone was firm, holding no leeway.

"I know." Cassie smeared her wet nose against his shirt collar.

Jack held onto her like a lifeline. The bond they shared was as powerful as what he'd shared with Charlie, in some ways even stronger. Just like Sam, Cassie was an intricate part of Jack O'Neill. Although, he'd never admit it to anyone even Sam when he wasn't thinking about her, he pondered Cassandra. How her day was going. Had she eaten more than Fruit Loops, taken her vitamins? Was she doing her homework, did she still have a crush on that boy, oh what was his freaking name? And just how was Jack going to deal with her dating which she was begging to do now. And so the daily parental concerns wore down his heart and mind. Even now, sitting with Sam on the edge of death, he'd been thinking about Cassie, fearing how she'd react if Sam died. Yeah, no matter that Janet was Cassie's legal parent, Jack remained her dad and always would be.

"So, you, going to be all right, Sunshine?" He gently swiped the back of his hand against her wet eyes and smiled down at her.

"For sure. And you, Dad?"

"Yeah sure yabetcha. I'll get some coffee." He motioned to stand.

"You'll take a nap and then catch up on your paperwork." She sounded like Janet.

"Don't have paperwork. I resigned." He gestured to the civvies he was wearing.

"Well that's yet to be decided." She said softer, "You can't jump ship, Dad. But your life mate, here won't let you."

Jack froze.

Leaning into him, she whispered in a conspirator's tone, "Your secret's safe with me. You two are forever okay."

Startled, Jack gazed wide-eyed at the young woman. "How'd you-?"

Cassie shrugged. "I know it's weird, but sometimes I think I can hear your thoughts," she purposely kept her voice low and avoided his scrutinizing stare.

"Oy! Don't go psycho on me, Cass."

"Didn't mean too. But I'm serious and don't tell Sam. I sense things between you and her. Actually I saw it the moment you two rescued me. Especially the day you bought me Squeaker. Kids see a lot more than you adults think."

"Ain't that the truth." He frowned, wondering what else Cassie knew or sensed.

"Sometimes it's words like forever okay, which I assume means you love each other forever. Am I right?"

Jack gulped. Dang, the girl could read his thoughts. He nodded before realizing what that nod meant. "Yeah. Guess so."

"Well, I know so." She winked and kissed his forehead.

"Maybe it's the Naquadah you and Sam share." Jack had scrambled for a plausible explanation.

"Considered that. But-"

"What?" his tone was hushed, not wanting their conversation to be recorded.

"When Sam took me to that vault to die. . ." her voice quavered. "Before she got on the elevator you argued saying it was your job to take me down there."

"You were asleep."

"I faked it."

"Oh." He winced.

"Dad, I felt your protectiveness and love for me, it was overwhelming. It equaled Sam's and then some. And yet you allowed her to take me down."

"She wanted it more than ever, Cass. I couldn't say no."

"I know. You can never say no to her." She put her head on his chest and gazed at Sam. "When she came back to be with me, I'd heard you calling out to her in my head, telling her how much you loved her and couldn't live if she died, if we died. I then heard you praying for God to protect and save us. You'd called me your daughter."

Jack went rigid. He'd barely recalled that absurd declaration, but he had indeed for a moment thought of Cassandra as his own. Why he'd never know, but it had been there in his face as if some buried treasure had been revealed.

Cassandra lifted her head and taking his hand in hers placed them both over Sam's left hand. "I don't know what Nirrti did to me, Dad, but I do know the three of us are somehow linked. And God willing, maybe someday we'll find out how, huh?"

Jack dared not voice his suspicions. After all, they were wacko and impossible at best. Except for some nightmares of a crying infant, Jack had no recollection of ever having seen or thought of Cassandra before the day they'd rescued her. But since then she'd become a part of the sum that made him whole. "Yeah, maybe someday." He hedged a weary smile and squeezed her hand.

Cassie nodded. "Furthermore, Sam did beat that Entity thingy so she can beat a concussion too."

Jack forced a smile. "Hope you're right, Sunshine. Yeah."

~*~

Day seven:

Jack sat in his chair, his head propped on his right hand, dozing. In his daydream, Sam was nestled in his arms nuzzling his jaw and whispering-

"Sirrr?" her voice was weak but audible. The best sound Jack had heard in a week. Unfortunately it wasn't what he wanted to hear.

"Excuse me?" He hoped she'd call him Jack.

"Colonel, sir." She looked confused as she blinked at him.

"No need for overkill, Carter." He leaned over and stroked her arm. "I'm retired. Name's Jack. In fact you can call me hubby, sweetie pie, honey, if you want." He chuckled lightly.

"Sir?" She gaped through her hazy cloud. "Why?"

Why? Huh!! He stared and then remembered she might have memory loss. "Because of us, Sam." He gestured to her and pulled his chair closer, so he could touch her. He glanced up at the security camera that had an accident yesterday and had yet to be fixed. The observation booth was also clear, had been for days. He reached into his pocket and held up her wedding band. "Because of this."

"Sorry. . . Confused-really tired." Sam closed her eyes and sighed out.

"Yes, well a massive concussion tends to disorientate a person." Jack eased Sam's blue diamond wedding ring onto her finger and then his gaze settled on his wedding band he'd been wearing since the day he'd resigned. It was no holds bard far as he as concerned.

Jack interlaced his fingers in hers and he squeezed gently. His intimate touch caused her eyes to open again. She stared at him and then down to where he held her hand, while his free hand caressed her cheek. Her eyes widened as they took in the diamond gracing her ring finger.

"I don't understand, Colonel. What do you mean because of us?"

Jack felt a knife slice in his heart. "We're a couple, Sam." His fingers left her face.

"A couple?" She shook her head and tried to sit up, then slumped back down. Closing her eyes she licked her dry cracked lips.

"Yep." Jack drew a breath of resolve. Lifting the water glass he held the straw to her lips and let her drink.

"Thank you." She nodded as he set the glass down. He then took the lip-gloss off the bed stand and applying it gently to her chapped lips. Sam stiffened at his intimate touch.

"Like I was saying we're involved, very involved." He leaned over trying to get beyond the confusion he saw in her pained face, in her clouded blue eyes. "As in . . . in love, married on Chulak . . .husband and wife, but only Daniel and Teal'c know."

Her blue eyes expanded with disbelief. "You're joking, Colonel? Or am I in an alternate universe?"

"Nope." He got frustrated. "You're in our universe, Sam. You are on earth at the SGC in the infirmary. Good old USA. And I resigned for good eight days ago, twice in fact!"

"For me?"

"For us."

"With all due respect, sir. That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Furthermore, I don't feel that way about you." She proceeded to remove the wedding ring and hand it back to him.

Gaping, Jack's eyes almost popped out of his head as he took the ring and held it tight.

"I mean I care a lot about you, love you like a friend, and even admit we've chemistry between us to the extent we flirt way more than we should. But I'm not in love with you, sir. I mean that's against the regs and goes against everything I believe as an officer of the United State Air Force!" She exhaled a weary sigh. "Now if you don't mind, I'm beat." She closed her eyes. "And I'm hoping when I wake up, this entire conversation will have been a bad dream, Colonel."

Her cool tone and insinuation was undeniable. She was telling him to leave. Shoo! Get lost! Hit the road, Jack! If he had been shot with a staff weapon it couldn't have been any more painful or real. Sam had forgotten, them.

"If you say so, Major." Numb, he pushed back his chair and stood. "We can talk later, when you've regained your memory and senses."

Her lip trembled a bit, before she looked back at him. "Sir, I'm sorry, if anything I've said or done in the past made you think my feelings for you were stronger than they are. I'd never do anything to jeopardize either of our careers. And the last thing I need is to hear you've resigned because of it. More than anything, I need you to be my CO, Colonel. So for our sakes and that of SG-1, don't resign?"

"Don't worry, Carter, whatever decision I make will be in everyone's best interest. Now you get some rest and after you're out of here, I'll buy you cake."

"Cake?"

He scowled. "You do still like double chocolate cake with butter cream frosting?"

"Love it, sir."

"Excellent." But his mouth refused to lift into a smile. Turning, Jack stalked out of the infirmary. Soon as he'd rounded the corner, he slammed his fist into the wall and cracked the plaster. "Ow! What the hell!" And hit it one more time for good measure.

Twenty minutes he sat in Janet's office, with Daniel and Teal'c flanking him while Janet bandaged his bleeding bruised knuckles.

"Doc, she doesn't recognize us."

"Excuse me, Jack, but she know all of us, even you." Daniel insisted.

"No she doesn't!"

Janet taped the bandage and frowned. "Sir, I think what Daniel's trying to say, is for whatever reason, Sam no longer remembers you as anymore than her CO and that you share a mutual attraction, which she is trying to keep inline."

"Ah, you mean she has selective memory?"

"Something like that, yes." Janet shrugged. "Until I run further tests I can't say for sure. I don't know what happened while you were separated. Obviously, something traumatic."

"Traumatic doesn't begin to describe it." He winced when he tried to flex his left hand.

"But it could be for the best, O'Neill." Teal'c inserted with a blank look.

"Why?" Jack groused at the Jaffa.

"If the major has no recall of the past year's personal events that involve the two of you, then you do not have to resign nor would she have to be reassigned."

"True, she hasn't forgotten any of the SG-1's missions." Daniel pursed his lips. "I drilled her pretty hard. She remembers everything."

"What about the Za'tarc test?" Jack looked from one man to the other, then to Doc.

"Well, that was a bit fuzzy." Janet expounded. "She recalls you admitting you cared more than you should, but her similar response about her feelings for you were diluted-a lot."

"Diluted?" Jack scrunched his face.

"It means . . ." Daniel interrupted.

"I know what it means, Danny." Jack shook his head. "Physical attraction, nothing more."

Janet sighed. "I don't know what to say. It'd be interesting to find out how she'll react to Cassie or Jacob."

"That's different," Jack mumbled.

Janet looked up. "Sir, we don't know . . ."

"Her memory will be fine with Cass and Jacob. They aren't a threat to her career. I am."

"Wow!" Daniel nodded. "You've got a point, Jack."

"Tell me about it." Jack squared his shoulders and turned to Janet. "Just fix her will ya?"

"Can't fix what I don't understand, Colonel."

"So you've said, Doc." He turned on his heel and left. ~*~

CHAPTER FIVE

~*~

Next Morning: 0840: Briefing Room

"Let me get straight." Jack scratched jaw. "That cave we crawled into was built by the Ancients."

"Exactly!" Daniel explained with more enthusiasm than a kid with his first ice-cream cone.

"And?" Jack prompted him, drumming his fingers against the table in annoyance.

"I've yet to determine their purpose behind it, but it adapts to our individual needs, fears and desires."

"So we all needed to be somewhere the Goa'uld couldn't find us?"

"Yes!" Daniel grinned. "Which we all were hoping for, and somewhere in that scenario, one of us thought if we couldn't get out, they couldn't get in."

"That would be me." Jack declared with a grin and then realized the implication of that thought. Whoops!

"Oh, right. So we can also thank you for the quote, 'Kinda nice not being able to see anything,' wish too," Daniel groused.

Hammond's brows vanished into his scalp.

Yikes! Jack cringed. "How was I to know it would really happen?" He flipped the conversation to Daniel. "So still seeing the bogyman?"

Daniel dropped his blue gaze and blushed.

Confused, Hammond looked at him. "Bogyman? Doctor Jackson?"

"Well, uh, yes. . . I have, but he's just plain irritating. Keeps raiding my frig and watches reruns of the Simpsons."

Janet and Teal'c looked at each other and grinned.

"Colonel?"

"Hey, I'm only responsible for the not getting out and blind as a bat part."

"Then I assume you all wished to get out at the same time?" Hammond observed.

They shrugged.

"Must have or else we wouldn't be here," Daniel offered, sipping coffee.

"Indeed." Teal'c nodded.

"I think it was Carter," Jack stated.

They looked at him.

He fidgeted. "Well . . .she got separated from Daniel and myself."

Daniel opened his mouth then closed it.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Daniel?"

"Jack?"

"Enough!" Hammond seemed frustrated. "As unorthodox as this briefing is, the fact remains that Major Carter's lack of memory regarding personal issues was caused by her concussion correct, Doctor Fraiser?"

Jack swallowed hard when he realized that Daniel, Teal'c, and Janet knew the General knew everything. Well this royally sucks! Jack wondered if Daniel had betrayed him and Sam and told Hammond and Fraiser about their marriage. Hell, just court-marshal me and get it over with, he inwardly groaned.

"So it would seem, sir." She glanced at Jack and then looked down at her report.

"And besides Doctor Jackson's annoying bogyman, we agree we are not facing any immediate threat from this incident on PXC-779."

"None that I can see." Janet accessed. "I would however like to bring Doctor McKenzie in on the matter. I'm not fully convinced Major Carter is suffering from a physical trauma."

Jack groaned.

"Colonel?" Janet glanced over.

"Look, Doc, I realize I'm retired . . ."

"Not according to my records, Colonel." Hammond pushed.

"A matter of opinion, George."

"Sirs!" Janet stood up. "With all due respect, I'd like to know why Colonel O'Neill doesn't want Major Carter referred for psychiatric observation?"

"Oh, for crying out loud, Fraiser! Why don't we just take out a billboard and advertise that Major Carter and I have broken the damn regs and haul us up on insubordinations charges like you've wanted to all along!"

Janet gawked.

"Enough people!" Hammond shouted.

"Colonel! I never. Sam's my best friend and I thought you were too. Despite the fact I believe in upholding the regs. I know you two care about each other and I would never do anything to jeopardize either one of your careers! But the fact remains that such emotional involvement can and have as we've seen from this incident, conflict with judgment calls, and life and death decisions made in the field."

"Whatever!" Jack no longer cared. "If you drag McKenzie into this matter, it will be recorded and land in the NID's lap. They'll shut the SGC down faster than you can spell crap!"

George sighed. "The Colonel has a point, Doctor. Let's keep this in house for now. Do whatever you can as far as testing Major Carter in the infirmary."

"I'm not a psychiatrist, sir." Janet sighed her frustration.

"Then I suggest you take some quick courses, Doctor."

Nodding, Janet sat down and glared at Jack. He'd done it again. His anger got the best of him. Of course, she wouldn't hurt Sam or him, let alone their careers. Dang, why had he said that? What was happening to him? Why had he slammed his fist into a wall? Why did he feel like he had after Charlie had died? Why was thinking about ending it all?

"General Hammond," Janet said more quietly. "In all honesty, Major Carter can be released today."

"You don't want to keep her for observation?" Daniel grimaced.

"We're not going to notice much with her confined to her bed. The best testing ground is normal interaction and routine, it's just I . . ." She made a quick glance at Jack then at Hammond.

"Out with it, Doctor." George appeared peeved.

"Well, when a person forgets something as important as a personal relationship, there is a tendency that it will affect other things."

"Such as?" Jack looked up from his doodling.

"We don't know, sir. It could be something as simple as what her favorite food is or something as important as how to dial the DHL. It's usually a domino affect. For every affect there is an effect."

Jack made a face. That one he understood. "So the sooner we can get the major to remember what she's forgotten, the sooner she'll recover?"

"I wish it was that easy, Colonel. We still don't know if her memory loss was caused by the Ancient's device or a result of the concussion. It's all speculation. However, I think she needs to actively be part of SG-1 and involved in what you call, safe routine missions."

"Good then. I've got just such a mission. In fact, Colonel, it was on your desk a week ago."

"It was." Jack was still absorbing the fact that doc expected Sam to go on a mission. Now!

"Jack, I want SG-1 to engage in the diplomatic meetings with the Tokra on Wednesday."

"Excuse me!" Red faced, he shoved to his feet. "You expect us to go waltzing off to another, 'Let's kiss the Tok'ra's ass's party,' while Carter's not Carter!"

"I understand your concerns, Colonel, but this meeting was to have already happened. Their high council requested SG-1 specifically. And if Doctor Fraiser is satisfied with Major Carter's recovery, then-"

"Are you nuts? Wacko?" Jack slammed his good fist on the table. "And did I mention you're all nuts?"

"Stand down, Colonel!"

"Like hell I will! I'm not going anywhere and neither is Carter until she's-"

"She's what, Jack?" Daniel asked calmly. "In love with you again?"

Jack blanched and glanced around the table of officers and friends.

Hammond groaned but didn't falter in his wide-eyed expression. George knew that was the issue.

Janet shook her head and looked at her hands with high color in her cheeks. Teal'c raised a brow and offered his version of pity and Daniel . . .Daniel the big mouth diplomat was flinching and cleaning his glasses.

"In my office, Colonel, now!" George turned from the table.

"Screw you, George! Hell, screw you all! I am resigned, remember!" Jack stomped off expecting a dozen SF's to greet him as he left the mountain.

They didn't.

~*~

Crap. He couldn't believe he'd told his CO to screw himself. Couldn't believe he wasn't sitting in a holding cell or the brig on insubordination charges, let alone all the freaking IOU's Hammond had on him. Still, with that list, processing the paperwork could take weeks-months. He could have gone to the cabin. But didn't trust himself on the road and that was long before he'd drunk his first beer. He'd been feeling strange, out of control. He hated that. It'd been especially bad since they'd left that black hole. He kept wondering if he was missing something. Had he wished for something he shouldn't have. Like being a bigger jackass than usual?

Glancing at the filled cigarette bowl, Jack tapped the half pack of cigarettes, dropping one in his hand. He lit it up and dragged deep, reveling in the nicotine high that helped to settle his nerves. He'd been smoking off base since the day they'd been tossed through the gate. He hadn't even thought twice when he stopped at the gas station and picked up a case of his old habit along with a bottle of Jack Daniels. Heck, he'd smoke four cigarettes in a row before he'd returned to the mountain and sucked a good three shots of whisky before he stepped back into SGC and to Sam's bedside that day. Although, he'd managed to keep his dependencies a secret he was at a point he no longer cared who saw him smoke or drink.

Now at home sitting on his rumbled bed, a new whisky bottle dangled from his fingers while clothes, bedding and furniture were strewn everywhere from a furious outburst moments before. Heck, if he couldn't have Sam back why keep living? What for? Even Cassie would be better off without him. What was there in this world or the next for him to care about? Hell sounded mighty good right now. Yeah. He deserved to suffer for eternity for all the hell he'd put Sam through, not to mention Sara and then Charlie. Jack looked around him, catching his reflection in his dresser mirror. Heck, he looked like hell.

God didn't care! God probably didn't exist. Look at all the weird things they'd experienced. All those freaking false gods parading around the universe. Maybe Jesus had been an Asgard too. Sure, Thor insisted The Keeper of the Stars to be the only true God, but what proof was there? Christ and all His love thy neighbor crap was like every other manmade religion. Pure crap! Yeah sure yabetcha!

Geez, this was like when he'd lost Charlie. He felt the same depression, the same hopelessness sucking the life from him. Which made no sense. Carter's alive. But she's not in love with you. And it hurts. Hurts like crap. Get a freaking grip, Jack. Stop thinking such morbid thoughts. Stop it!

He took another swig of the smooth burning liquor, followed by more nicotine. Calmer now, he reached down and lifted the photo off the floor. The picture Daniel had taken on Chulak three months back. Jack and Sam nestled in each other's arms kissing right after they'd take their vows in the glow of the twin moons. It had been the soberest thing he'd ever recalled doing and the happiest. Vows not consummated or so they thought. And yet there was no denying the scent of lovemaking that had pervaded their bodies and the stained bedding the morning after their wedding night. They were married and had been behaving like newlyweds off duty ever since, well as best a couple could and still honor the regulations. Now he regretted he'd not screwed her silly. Never made her his own in body and soul. How could anything hurt so much? A tear tracked his quivering jaw.

"You're a worthless jackass, Jack!" He dangled the cigarette between his lips and reached for the cold plastic of his loaded 9 mil., beneath his pillow. His finger coiled around the familiar trigger.

"Yeah, you sure are, at least the jackass part." Daniel's calm voice rose from the bedroom's entrance as he waved the plumes of smoke and coughed into his hand.

Releasing the gun Jack dragged on his cigarette, then exhaled. Blurry-eyed, he focused on the doorway. Yep it was Danny. Nor was Jack surprised to find his best bud had invaded his home and was shaking his head at Jack like a disenchanted parent.

Daniel went to the window and opened it fanning the smoke. "Looks like you had a party and didn't invite me." Daniel accessed the rampaged bedroom. He didn't mention the rest of the house reflected the result of an O'Neill temper tantrum that hadn't happened in six years.

"It's a private party," Jack slurred, waving his bottle.

"Figures. Um, want company?" Daniel took a step forward.

Jack gave his 'go to hell' look.

"Didn't think so, but I'm here. So's Teal'c and Carter."

It took a few seconds for the last name to register. "Why her?"

"To talk. Actually Sam insisted and Janet let her. Just didn't expect you to get wasted in under two hours and take up smoking and Jack Daniels."

"Done it in less." He burped and dragged on the stogy before flicking ashes onto the carpet.

Daniel didn't flinch at Jack's crude behavior. "I'll get coffee."

"No. You'll take Miss Heartbreak Hotel and leave me to wallow in my selfish pity party."

"Jack!"

"Go, Danny. I might be snookered, but I'm bigger and meaner than you."

"Yes you are. But you've always been there for me, Jack. Remember what you said and did when I got addicted to the sarcophagi and almost shot you in the supply closet?"

"Yeah, so what?"

"You're addicted, Jack. And just like you wouldn't walk away from me, I'm not leaving you now."

Daniel held Jack's defiant glint. Jack figured it'd be stalemate.

"Sir?" Sam's head peeped around Daniel's shoulder.

"Ah shit!" Jack collapsed on the bed, slamming the bottle on his nightstand.

~*~

Sam pressed past Daniel, who snagged her wrist. "Not good timing, Sam."

"It never is." She looked up at him. "You all agreed that the Colonel and I are emotionally involved. Even General Hammond and that's a hard one to swallow. That he'd allow it, that is. Which means our remaining part of SG-1 is far more critical than I could imagine. Daniel, it's obvious the Colonel's present lack of sobriety is my fault. We need to talk. Alone." She paused, "Like a husband and wife."

Daniel scratched his jaw and stared down at her. "Well okay. Drunk as Jack is, he's probably more sober than the rest of us, just mellowed out. I'll be out there cleaning with Teal'c." He thumbed toward the living room.

Sam nodded and as Daniel left, she shut the door. Stepping forward, she looked down at the man sprawled across the unmade king size bed, a half smoked cigarette dangled from his left hand.

This was bad. He'd gone cold turkey after his first Abydos mission. Why now?

Jack moaned and lifted the forearm from his eyes. Soon as he saw her he cursed, then, "Leave, Carter."

She shook her head and sat on the edge of his bed. "Sir?"

"I'm retired. It's Jack to the whole freaking world, including you!" His arm returned to shield his eyes. He sounded pissed but sober. Amazing.

"Okay, Jack." She picked up a half eaten slice of pizza and wondered how old it was. What a slob. She didn't remember the Colonel being this way. Yeah, he was not the most organized person and didn't read all his memos, reports, or finish his paperwork on time. But he took pride in his personal appearance and belongings and had one of the most organized minds she knew. His truck, house and lawn were always immaculate. That much Sam recalled. Just then she spotted the generous blue diamond ring on his nightstand and beside it, a man's silver wedding band.

'Holy Hannah, it's true. We're married!'

"I want to remember, Jack. Remember us. Help me, please?"

A groan left him and he dropped his arm from his face. "Why?" He dragged his tongue over his cracked lower lip.

"Janet said it's important, especially to you and to my full recovery."

"Ah huh, yes well." Jack rolled to his side and perched awkwardly on an elbow. His wobbly balance and unfocused gaze were the only evidence he was inebriated. "But is it important to you?"

"It should be right?" She rolled a shoulder.

"Crap! The Sam I knew before, this it was important to. I was important to her. We were important. We . . . "

"What?"

"We were in love. Head over heels, stupidly, crazy in love idiots." He stared into her intrepid gaze, long and hopeful. "So in love I retired just so we could get hitched on Chulak."

"Oh." She couldn't believe how hypnotic his dark brown gaze could be. Oh, yes she could. She'd been looking into those sultry brown eyes for years. "Then I assume we?"

His brown eyes narrowed and glowed with a lustful fire. "Yes! We screwed until we couldn't walk!"

"Oh!"

"But then I assume you don't remember that either." He snorted.

Shaking her head, Sam blushed and turned away. She hadn't expected him to be so vulgar and suspected his anger had something to do with how he answered her.

"When? I mean when did we start feeling this way toward each other, Jack?"

His mouth slackened, Jack pushed himself upright and leaned against the headboard, pulling his knees to his chest. For the longest time he didn't say anything. He looked around the ransacked bedroom, then at the ceiling and finally at her. He sniffed a breath, licked his lips and scrubbed his hands over his face and into his gray hair. Each familiar motion a part of him, a part of her comfort zone. Her CO. Her friend. Her lover? Her husband? She liked when he made those gestures. A lot. It meant several things. He was frustrated, thinking, or frustrated. Not a complex guy. Not her Jack. Huh? Why had she thought that?

"Do your remember our meeting at the President's White House Masquerade Ball in 97?"

"Vaguely." She nodded. "We shared a few drinks and talked, right? Even reminisced about our Black Ops assignments."

Jack did the frustrated hair comb. "Oh, we drank and talked all right. We also kissed each other stupid within minutes of introductions, confessed we cared for each other and-,"

She urged him with a nod.

"Sam. Me telling you this stuff won't help anymore than what the others told ya. Even Hammond." He reached over and snuffed out the cigarette then reached for the pack.

Sam's firm hand restrained him. Jack's gaze rested on her where her fingers gripped his wrist and then lifted to her pleading look. A look she realized usually worked with him. His gaze hardened as he yanked free and picked the pack up removing another cig.

Sam closed her eyes and sighed. She heard him light up and inhale, and then he purposely exhaled in her face. He was being rude and crude. It hurt. Why?

She coughed and shut her eyes. When she opened them, he was staring at her, but there was no longer contempt, just resignation as if he'd accepted things for what they were. With that look came a chill she'd only seen once before and then it had been faked.

"I've heard it from everyone else, but you. I mean apparently we talked yesterday, but I only recall you getting upset and walking out. And now you're here drinking and smoking. I'm to blame and don't know how to fix it, Jack. How to fix what you tell me we had. Not to mention, it's unorthodox and against the regs and yet, the entire SGC seems to think it's just fine and dandy."

Jack snorted. "First off, only SG-1, Hammond, Janet, and the Tok'ra Freya/Anise know about us. The rest only speculate and in all honesty, Sam, we've fooled the majority, not to mention the powers that be."

"Does my dad know?"

Jack glanced away and gulped. "He knows. We're still negotiating the fine print. Guess he likes me."

"He likes you a lot. He just thinks you're an arrogant asshole at times."

"Coz, I am." Jack smiled for the first time since she'd entered his domain.

Sam laughed.

Jack laughed.

~*~

"I believe Samantha Carter is laughing, Daniel Jackson."

Daniel smiled at the Jaffa. "Yeah, leave it to Jack to make that happen. Let's just hope he doesn't blow it."

"You are worried, Daniel Jackson?"

"Yeah, something is not right, here, Teal'c. Sam's not the only one acting differently."

"I concur. O'Neill's temperament is far more unrestrained. Similar to our first encounter."

"Which was?"

"Chulak of course." Teal'c failed to meet Daniel's eyes.

The Jaffa was not known for lying, but this was not the first time he'd accidentally referred to a first meeting with Jack, that Daniel sensed happened before Chulak. The weird thing was Jack never mentioned it.

"Yeah. Why do I feel I'm missing something?"

"You have missed nothing, Daniel Jackson." Teal'c's brow shifted and he looked away.

Daniel wanted to press him, but now was not the time. "Well, more like when I first met him before Abydos. He chain-smoked and I suspected he was a heavy drinker, although he didn't drink on duty. But he was hurting and unpredictable. He didn't want to live anymore, Teal'c. Just like now. Wow! This is so not good!"

"I am inclined to agree, Daniel Jackson." ~*~

CHAPTER SIX

~*~

"So you're saying, we fell in love a the Whitehouse Ball, when you were retired?"

Jack nodded. "Retired like now." He slid closer and caressed her arm. Despite the whisky and cigarettes, Sam could smell the defined manly scent that was Jack O'Neill. English Leather and fresh autumn leaves. Sam senses reeled with intoxication for this man. No wonder she'd married him. What woman in her right mind would turn down Jack O' Neill? But did she love him?

"General Hammond hasn't accepted your resignation, sir." She forced herself to ease from his lingering touch.

"Jack." He growled. "Look, Sam. Retired or not, we're married. Husband and wife." He put out his arms.

"So we broke the regulations and . . ."

"Yes and no. I'd retired-."

"Again!" Sam couldn't believe she'd ever do something so undisciplined-so wild.

"Yeah, know it sounds clich, but it was the only way we could manage it. Teal'c and Daniel were our witnesses. No one else knows. Well, that's if you don't count the Jaffa tribe on Chulak."

Sam shook her head adamantly. "I wouldn't do that. It's not my nature-"

"Well it is your nature! You're a risk taker at least with me. Look, Sam, I don't know what happened in that freaking black box. I don't know what you asked for!" He scrubbed a splayed hand through his hair and rubbed his aching forehead.

"I asked to be returned with you, Daniel and Teal'c and that we'd all go home safe."

"That's all?"

"Yes!" Sam snapped back. "Why don't you believe me?" She shoved to her feet.

Without answering, Jack sniffed and returned to his former position against the headboard. "Okay, lets back step six and half years to our first meeting in the Ops."

She nodded and sat back down.

He dragged on the cig and then to her relief, squashed the butt in the tray and didn't light up another.

~*~

Jack glanced up from the filled cigarette tray. He was acting rude and no doubt looked and smelled disgusting. Part of him didn't give a crap, the part that loved this confused woman tried to get sober and be nicer.

"Sam, we'd stayed in denial about when we started having feelings, but later admitted the attraction started during our Black Ops engagements. The main event when we'd been imprisoned in South America."

"Sure. I remember our imprisonment and," her breath hitched and she grabbed the bedspread.

Jack flew across the bed and caught her before she fell off. "Hey! You okay?"

"I-," her heart leaped into her throat with the horror as she felt his secure grip, met his open-eyed gaze. He knew. He was there. "I was almost raped?"

"Yes. You were." He looked away. "I'm sorry, Sam. By the time I got to you, one of the rebel assholes was about to-."

"One got away, but you killed one and cut the other."

Jack nodded. He'd done more than cut the bastard but there was no reason to go there.

"You were furious!" She looked at him. "You protected me."

"Yes. But I would have done it for anyone, still would."

"I know."

"No you don't! I should have known that was what they'd intended. I'd failed to protect you." He gripped her shoulders, recalling the almost exact conversation four years ago when they'd found themselves revisiting those horrific events at the White House.

"No, you listen! I knew the risk, when I signed on for Black Ops. You must let it go, sir, I have. I chose to forget that and a lot of other painful stuff. Why can't you?"

Her words were a slap in his face. Letting go, Jack stared at her. "Ah, hell, Sam! Is that's what you wished for?"

"What are you talking about?" She cupped her aching head and stared at him.

Grabbing the gun from beneath his pillow, Jack bolted off the bed and waving the automatic glared at her. "Get out! Now!"

"Jack? Sir? I don't understand." She stared at the loaded, 9 mil.

He yanked her off the bed and to her feet, hauling her to the door. "I may be pissing drunk, Carter, but I don't have to be told when I'm not wanted. You wanted to forget about us! You asked that Ancient gizmo to make you fall out of love with me! Well, I'll do us both a favor, I'll just get out of your life permanently!"

~*~

Jack pulled the door so hard one of the hinges tore lose. Backing out of the room, Sam balked at the raving man stalking after her.

"No!" Sam gaped, at the agonizing pain in his brown eyes. He intended to take his life.

"Get out before I take you with me!" He cocked the gun and raised it.

Daniel and Teal'c put themselves between Sam and Jack.

Jack took a swing at Daniel and caught him in the beneath his ribs. Stunned and breathless, Daniel curled up and dropped to his knees. Jack didn't seem fazed by his violence as he continued down the hall after Sam and Teal'c.

Jack's left hook came in contact with Teal'c's right eye, but the Jaffa never flinched.

"All of you, get the f!@!*out of my house! Now! And I don't ever want to see the cold, little b-"

Teal'c's right hook put Jack down and out cold.

~"~

"Sir?"

"Carter?"

"Colonel O'Neill?"

Crap! Fraiser. Jack tried to peel open his eyes but failed. He'd tried to part his lips but his tongue was plastered to the roof of his mouth. Man, he felt like recycled trash. He moaned and attempted to lift his head. It felt like ton of bricks. Another freaking clich'! Jack slipped in and out of consciousness, hearing bits and pieces of a conversation buzzing over his head. All he wanted was to see Sam, to know she was okay, to know he hadn't hurt her, again.

~*~

"He's coming around, General." Janet pulled his eyelids open and shined her penlight in Jack's aching eyes. He made a sloppy attempt to smack her hand away, but his wrists were strapped down.

"He doesn't look like it, Doctor."

"Well, I gave him a stronger sedative. It took four SF's to restrain him."

"How's Doctor Jackson?"

"Fine, sir, just had the wind knocked out of him. And Teal'c got a black eye, but his symbiote is healing him."

"So what's your diagnosis?"

"The Colonel has signs of extreme low self-esteem and suicidal tendencies."

"Suicide! Why would you-?"

"Colonel O'Neill had a loaded pistol in his bed and Teal'c found a note." She reached into her pocket and handed it over.

George opened and scanned the contents, grimacing. The scribble read:

'First Charlie.

Now Sam.

The only two people who loved this empty bag of nothing for who I am, are gone.

What the hell is there to live for?

Dear God, forgive me for taking the coward's way out?

Jack'

George looked at Jack's ashen features then back at Doctor Fraiser. "This is not the Jack O'Neill we know, Doctor. Even with Major Carter's memory loss he'd not give up on her or life."

"Correct, General. And I've read Colonel O'Neill's complete physiological evaluation and know his present personal beliefs doesn't accept suicide unless in the line of duty. What we're witnessing is not his nature. But it was his state of mind after his son Charlie died."

George nodded. "Yes, it was, Major. I want to know what's going on with my 2IC and Major Carter? And I want to know ASAP. Is that understood?"

"Yes, sir, but I don't know how we can do that without involving Doctor McKenzie."

"Look, I'll give you twenty-four more hours to resolve this and then I have no choice. We will have to bring McKenzie into the matter."

"Understood, sir." Janet sighed out shaking her head.

"Now, I'd like a moment alone with the Colonel."

"Of course, sir. But it will be sometime before he'll be coherent and responsive."

"Understood."

Janet nodded and left the private infirmary room, closing the door behind her.

George pulled up a chair beside Jack and sat a moment while his military mind and personal minds separated. He knew this was a test from above. He also knew that the man before him was not the Jack O'Neill he'd come to love as a son and respect as a top notch officer. More than ever, George realized that if he didn't take responsibility for not having let Jack retire ten days ago, he'd regret it. It really sucked when a person had been given a glimpse of the future and couldn't spill the beans. Somehow he had to keep Jack and Sam with SG-1. But how?

"Okay, son, listen up here. You are not yourself. So that's why I'm talking like your friend and not your CO." Hammond laid his hand on Jack's left forearm. "Jack, can you hear me?"

Jack groaned and lolled his head once. George took it as a sign.

"Good. Now I won't mince words. I can only keep this crisis under the table so long. You've got to pull out of it. Get a grip! I don't know what's going on between you and my goddaughter, but it's causing havoc with SG-1 and the rest of the SGC. Something happened down there on PXC-779. Samantha wasn't the only one to wish for something different between you two. For whatever reason you've regressed in personality to a wildcard. Well, you're still a wildcard, Jack, but in a seasoned, tempered manner.

"Now you're acting emotionally immature. Like before Sam came into your life. I know what went down before that. I also know you said to have experienced a spiritual conversion since then. You don't believe in taking your own life, Jack. But last night you'd been thinking about it. Even loaded a gun! And threatened Sam."

Jack opened his eyes. "Sa-am hurt?"

"She's fine, Jack." George nodded relieved when the younger man opened his eyes. "And worried sick about you."

"Why?" Jack blinked.

"Jack, do you understand what you did last night?"

"Uh, wasted."

"Do that often do you, son?" George felt like he was playing devil's advocate.

"No."

"Didn't think so." George tried to carefully word his next question. "Jack, when you were in that Ancient's cavern, you unconsciously wanted something different than you have now, or were thinking about it before that gizmo shot you back through the wormhole. It's important to recall what you were thinking about, because until you do, things aren't going to improve. And you aren't going anywhere except to see Doctor Mackenzie."

~*~

Doctor Mackenzie? Hell no! Jack closed his eyes and exhaled. He concentrated on Hammond's question. He hadn't been thinking anything before that happened, but he had been dreaming about Charlie, reliving the depression he'd sunk into after his son's accidental death. It had been a time of hopelessness, violent outbursts, self-loathing and severe depression that brought him to the lowest point of his life, so low that he'd wanted to-

"Die!" Jack opened his eyes and tugged at the leather straps.

"Son?" Hammond stared with concern into his drug-laced expression.

"We've got to go back, sir!"

"Jack, what are you talking about?"

"Please-trust me, sir." ~*~

CHAPTER SEVEN

~*~

It wasn't as easy as Jack thought. Hammond didn't implicitly trust him and confined him to the infirmary for observation. However, once he got Fraiser to listen to him, she thought it was a viable possibility.

He slept restlessly but now that he realized why he'd been acting so irrational he had a stronger grip on his emotions. As he slept Jack fell into a fitful dream. He dreamt he'd been asleep and when he awoke the Nox Lya was standing over him.

"Lya?"

"I'm glad to see you alive again, Jack O'Neill." She smiled warmly down at him. "You know we can't keep interfering."

"Sam?" Jack winced.

"She is also alive as are Teal'c and Daniel. I must leave you now. You must find your way back."

"Back where?" Confused, he realized they were surrounded by darkness.

"To what you and Samantha call Kansas and the others call home. Be cautious about the path you chose. It might prove hurtful especially to the one you love above all others. Chose wisely."

~*~

0320 Hours:

Jack opened his medicated eyes. His fuzzy gaze focused on a crack in the curtain and he noticed Daniel in a chair against the far wall. His audible snoring indicated Space Monkey was out cold.

Breathing in, Jack gagged at the strong sterile infirmary smell. He hated the odor. But his senses also detected a comforting familiar scent of vanilla mixed with strawberry shampoo. No longer strapped down, Jack flipped onto his side and stared wide eyed the source. He should have known.

Dressed in black jeans and a blue sweater Sam was curled up on the opposite empty bed that was shoved alongside his bed. A curtain had been drawn around them. He couldn't imagine Janet would have allowed this. No, this was a Daniel or Teal'c sneaky deed that happened after the doc left base. Jack smiled.

Sliding quietly to the edge of bed he wanted to touch Sam but didn't. Although, he was in better control of his emotions he wouldn't risk going off on her. Man, what he wouldn't give for a cig. His hands shook. Nicotine withdrawal sucked. He'd never wanted to go through that again, but here he was. The only consolation was Sam was with him and hopefully of her choosing.

She looked so beautiful when she slept, even with drool seeping from the corner of her red lips. He was tempted to kiss them or wipe them clean. His fingers itched to become tangled within her short blonde hair, to caress her flawless ivory skin. But she wasn't his to touch anymore. Not even if they successfully undid this memory mess. Things had to change between them. He'd have to distance himself. He had no choice.

From out of nowhere bitter resentment sluiced over him. She had wanted to forget they were in love and married. Had he messed her up that badly? Oh duh! Why hadn't he seen this coming? Why hadn't he realized long before that Zat'arc test that he had no right falling in love with her or putting her in this situation?

Jacob was right, the first day Sam walked into the briefing room Jack should have put an end to their budding love affair. He should have emotionally walked away and ordered her to do the same.

But he hadn't. He'd wanted her so badly that he'd made her foolish promises he'd yet to keep. He'd never even asked what she wanted, assumed she wanted the same. And look what his selfishness had brought them. Sam hated their sham of a marriage so much she'd wished to forget it ever happened. She'd chosen a different path.

"Sir?" She blinked, yawned, and then tossing aside the blanket, stretched catlike. For a moment, Jack's attention locked on the fullness of her breasts. He gulped and then shoved his ardent thoughts aside.

"Carter." He nodded as her dark blues focused on him. He managed a smile, knowing it didn't touch his eyes. His heart pitched as he restrained from touching her. God help me?

"You look horrible, sir."

"Yeah, well going cold turkey isn't a cakewalk."

She nodded and pushed up on her elbow, one arm stretching between them. Jack pulled back. He saw the hurt in her eyes. Why now?

"I'm remembering." She didn't retreat her fingers that grazed his jaw. The heat of her caress sent the same old shiver down his spine to his groin, then back to his heart.

"Well, that's nice." He wasn't convinced and taking her hand, set it firmly on the bed, and then let go.

"I don't know why I wished for this." She failed to hold his doubtful gaze. "All I've ever wanted was for us to be together."

"So you've said." He felt rage seeping out again. 'Stop it, Jack!'

"Soon as we get back to the moon and access that Ancient cavern we can undo this-"

"No we can't! First off, the planet is Goa'uld infested and I'm not going to risk anyone's lives over self made demons . . ." Like pieces of a puzzle everything made sense. Lya's face loomed before him. "Chose well." Crap! Jack pushed himself up off the bed and called out, "Daniel, wake up!"

"Huh?" Daniel sat up right and starred blurry eyed at Jack and then at Sam.

Holding his hospital gown in place, Jack stomped out of the infirmary leaving Sam without an explanation.

~*~

Briefing Room, 0700 Hours

Jack tried his hardest not to look at Carter. It was a battle of wills. He'd not bothered to explain his theory to her last night for fear of losing it. That had only happened twice since they'd known each other, once four years ago when he finally cried in her arms over Charlie and two weeks ago when he'd almost lost her to the Entity. It wouldn't happen again. Couldn't. Not if what he was about to explain and then do was going to work. For both their sakes and that of SG-1 Jack prayed his decision was the right one. And he prayed Sam could one day forgive him.

General Hammond entered the room, looking the worse for wear. Like everyone present he'd not slept well the last few weeks. His slow gait and slumped shoulders that were usually fast and straight were clearly noted.

"Colonel, Major, Teal'c, Doctor Jackson, Doctor Fraiser," he formally acknowledged before he took his seat at the head of the table.

"Sir." They said in unison. Teal'c nodded in respect.

The General turned and addressed his 2IC. "This better be good, Colonel."

"I hope so, sir." Jack flinched and accidentally met Sam's questioning blue eyes. He squared his shoulders and looked back at their base commander.

"Well out with it, son. Or did you forget you are gating in twenty minutes."

"No, sir. I didn't forget but that may not be necessary."

An audible sigh left Sam.

Teal'c brows shifted high.

Janet cleared her throat.

"Jack?" Daniel turned and stared at him dumbfounded. "I thought we agreed it was the only way around this."

"Well, there's that. But I don't think returning will resolve anything. I also believe we're not likely to find the Ancient cavern."

"Why?" Janet spoke up.

Jack looked over to find Sam looking at her folder. She knows!

"Because it's not there, is it, Carter?"

"Sir?" Sam slowly lifted her blonde head and held his intense stare.

"That's crazy, Jack." Daniel inserted. "We were all there."

"Everyone but Teal'c." Janet added.

Teal'c nodded. "No. I was there and I saw the cavern. I recall stopping to fire at the advancing Jaffa. But before that, after the death glider collided with the mountain I had pondered what would be worse, to die free crushed by an avalanche or . . ." Teal'c rubbed his jaw in thought.

"Or what?" Jack addressed the Jaffa.

"To be captured by the Jaffa and taken prisoner. When I awoke that is exactly where I was, aboard Apophis' ship."

"Daniel?" Jack turned back to the linguist. "What does your over active imagination recall before we saw the cavern?"

"Um, well . . ." Daniel tensed and looked at his hands. "I wished for a safe haven, a place we could crawl into and escape the Jaffa. Even though I hate the dark, I'd rather deal with the bogyman than with the Jaffa. And then the glider hit the cliff and I saw this huge boulder falling down on me. I didn't have time to jump free. There was a lot of pain and then nothing."

Hammond was silent and staring.

Janet was furiously taking notes.

Sam shut her eyes, nibbled her lower lip, and then released it. Jack noted the firm set of her delicate chin and the drawn line of her kissable lips. Yeah, she knew exactly where this was going. 'As painful as this is, please stay with me, Sam?'

A groan emitted from General Hammond. "This is damn confusing, people."

Jack felt like Sherlock Holmes. "If you'd bear with me a little longer, sir, all will become clear." He gazed at Carter. "Major, what do remember before the boulders hit us?"

Sam opened her eyes and looked at him. For a moment no one else mattered or existed. She tilted her head and her glistening eyes pleaded with him. He shook his head. "It's important, Carter. For everyone's sake you must remember just like they have."

"Please, sir?" She begged and tilted her head as if beseeching him. He could see the tears warming her blue eyes.

"Answer the Colonel, Major." Hammond ordered.

Clearing her throat, Sam nodded and looked at Jack who gave her an encouraging smile.

"I saw the bluish white light, noticed the high, energy spike on my schismatic reading and then . . ." She closed her eyes and seemed to hold her breath.

"Sam?" Jack prompted.

She forced her gaze back to his.

"I fired at the Jaffa. The death glider hit the face-rock and as the boulders fell, you pulled me with you and we rolled clear . . ." she hesitated.

"Samantha?" Jack's heart quicken at her exaggeration.

"Please no, sir?"

Jack shoved to his feet and leaned over the table. "Tell the truth, Carter!"

"All right! Daniel was closer to you. You should have pulled him out of the boulder's way, but you saved me instead!"

Jack winced. Damn! He'd not even looked at Daniel. His sole concern had been Carter.

Sam continued, "I saw the falling rocks. Several hit your shoulders and back just as you pulled me to the ground-But it was too late! We were dying and my last thoughts were," she shuddered and looked down at her trembling hands. "Loving you hurt too much. I wished we could all survive and start over again. But I didn't want to be in with love you, least not yet. And then I felt pain in my neck and head, felt you holding me, saying my name." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "The boulder had pinned our legs. After that, you went heavy and still in my arms. Blood was gushing out of your nose, eyes, mouth and ears." Sam shivered. "You were dead, sir, so was I."

"And then?" He sat down and gripped his hands, noting the white of his knuckles.

"Suddenly we were alive, unscathed. We spotted the cavern and-"

"A bright blue white light." Jack inserted.

"Hey, I remember that." Daniel spoke up.

"As do I?" Teal'c announced.

"So are you saying, you'd all died, people?" Hammond rubbed his baldhead.

"I believe that's what they think, General." Janet looked from one SG-1 team member to the next.

"It's not what I think." Jack insisted. "It's what happened-"

A flash of light! Everyone glanced up. The pretty petite Nox, Lya materialized before them.

"Lya!" Daniel was first to his feet.

"Daniel Jackson." She smiled in greeting, and then addressed the rest at the table.

Jack nodded, knowing why she was here.

"Colonel O'Neill is correct. Each of you perished in the avalanche. And each of you were revived but the injuries were very serious and required we put your subconscious in the 'Cave of Wishes' to help you deal with your sudden deaths. During that time you each dealt with your emotional fears or as Jack would say, hang-ups."

Touching Jack, she explained gently, "Despite your healing over the lose of your son and your marriage, you still feared you would regress to the man you were back then. An angry, unpredictable, man who blamed himself for his son's death and the failure of his marriage. No matter what you tell yourself and others, you still carry that guilt with you, Jack, especially concerning the woman you now love. When you thought she was dying, you regressed and became that other man again. You believed it was the only way you could deal with the guilt."

Jack sighed out and felt Sam's emotional taut gaze. He couldn't look at her. Instead he asked, "So we each have dealt with past and present fears, including Daniel's weird bogyman?"

"Yes." Lya slowly worked her way around the room. She paused before each of them, touched them and explained. "Daniel's creature was a mixture of many emotions. Losing his parents at a young age, being passed from one foster home to another, wanting his grandfather's love and not receiving it. The creature took on impressionable personalities from his past and present. Including Colonel's O'Neill's eating habits and favorite television series."

"Ah, excuse me," Daniel interrupted. "How do you know all these earth terms like television or about my parents and grandfather?"

"I am Nox. I am capable of knowing your thoughts and adapting to your colloquialisms."

"Well, I'm impressed." Hammond muttered scratching his jaw. "But still confused."

"Me too," Janet quipped and wrote faster.

Lya smiled. '"The Cave of Wishes' was meant to help you each reassess your priorities and make you realize that fear is a healthy emotion and should be respected, but it should never be allowed to control you. When you each wished for something you allowed your fears and insecurities to rule you. No doubt, Teal'c was the least affected because his symbiote protected him. However, he still struggles with the fear of being captured by the Jaffa and not dying free."

"Yes, I do." Teal'c admitted with a flush. Lya touched him as well.

"And you Samantha Carter, your wish affected more than yourself did it not?"

Sam bit down on her lower lip and glanced at Jack. He smiled wanting her to be comfortable.

"Yes." She expelled a long held breath and looked away, blushing.

When Lya touched Sam's arm she jolted. Jack felt a slight electric shock when the Nox touched his wife. He scrunched his face in confusion. What happened?

"Samantha, you feared your feelings had gotten in the way of being the best officer and team member you could be?"

"Yes." Sam nodded again, catching General Hammond's troubled gaze.

"This is the same reason that the Colonel retired a few weeks ago and did so again. Because he too is concerned about his ability to lead and make difficult decisions." Lya looked at Jack.

"You retired twice?" Daniel gawked.

"Yes, Daniel." Jack shook his head before meeting the Jaffa's equally surprised expression.

"Each one of you, care about the other's welfare. You are family. Which is how it should be. But in my world, as with the Tok'ra we depend upon our emotional bonds to keep us ever more aware of why we exist. It is how we were created. Without them, we would be soulless like the unfortunate Goa'uld."

Jack's eyes widened. Well, that was a first. To Jack's knowledge the Nox never spoke against anyone let alone the Goa'uld.

"I do not possess the divine wisdom of The Keeper Of The Stars, but assume that what He allowed to happened was a learning curve for each of you. All of your destinies are long written in the heavens and will affect the many. In the meantime, you must each address your fears and overcome them but remember you cannot do it alone. No one can. What I can tell you, is that wishing them away is not the solution."

Although Lya spoke to everyone, Jack realized she was specifically addressing him and Sam.

"I suggest you come to an understanding that will work for the benefit of everyone involved, even if it is only temporary. Sacrifices are and will be made on everyone's behalf. You must ask yourself if you are willing to make them for the greater good of all humanity."

Jack grimaced. He should have seen that one coming. He glanced at Sam, their gazes locked and he realized she'd felt it too. She cringed and looked away.

"Each of you must remember that we are to live as if there is no tomorrow, but do so with love, honor, kindness and wisdom, that you will have few regrets when your time in this physical realm has reached completion."

Everyone nodded. Lya stepped back to where she'd beamed in.

"Thanks for resurrecting us-again." Jack stood and smiled at the petite Nox, wondering if birds ever nested in her tight, wiry hair.

Lya's shook her head. "It is not I whom you should thank. Nor did the Nox breathe the life force back into your bodies."

"Huh?" Daniel looked as confused as everyone else.

"It was made known to us that two of you called upon 'The Keeper' before the avalanche took your lives. Your appeals were answered. I, along with two of my brothers found you after you'd been revived. We simply did what we were told. We took you to the 'Cave of Wishes.'" With that Lya was gone.

No one spoke. Jack sat back down and stared at each of his teammates, including the General and Fraiser. What was there to say? God had intervened? Jack believed it, but doubted Daniel would. Teal'c? Well Jack was still figuring him out. The General? Oh yeah, although Hammond didn't shove it in folk's faces, he didn't keep his faith in a box either. Fraiser? Well, she'd admitted she believed in God, but had lots of doubts since joining the SGC and then there was Sam. She'd privately admitted to leap from atheist status to agnostic since they'd met.

The moment they made eye contact, he knew. Her chin jutted out nervously, but her eyes shimmered with tears of acknowledgement. Without a doubt, besides himself Sam, had been praying before the rocks struck and killed them.

"Well, people, I don't know about you, but this has been one miraculous week," the General quipped and shoved to his feet. "This briefing is dismissed and the mission to PXC-779 scrubbed. Tomorrow's Tuesday and I expect SG-1 to be ready to talk turkey with the Tok'ra High Council. But first," he stared at Jack. "I need to know if I have to replace my 2IC?"

Everyone turned to Jack. He swallowed and glanced at Sam. "If I could first have a moment alone with the Major, sir?"

"Request granted, Jack." Hammond nodded. "Everyone else out." The room not only cleared, but Hammond walked off with the rest of Jack's team. Then he halted and glanced over his shoulder. "And if you decide to stay, Jack, you and Major Carter will meet with me for a lengthy debriefing in exactly one hour. Understood?" The Texan's stern military tone left no leeway for misunderstanding. Their butts were his!

"Yes, sir." He and Sam answered in unison.

'And, Jack, flick the off button."

"General?" Jack switched off the control for the camera and voice recording.

Janet held back and looked at him. "Sir, I do hope you reconsider. The SGC wouldn't be the same without you."

"Thanks, Fraiser." Jack smiled back.

The doc exchanged a brief smile with Sam and followed out after the others.

"So." Jack tapped the table with his fingertips and glanced at Sam.

"So." Sam stared across at him. Her blue eyes showing more emotion than he'd seen in awhile.

"Guess we screwed up?" His nervous hands directed traffic.

"You don't have to play the diplomat, sir. I'm the one who made the stupid wish, not you."

"So you admit it was stupid?" He jammed his hands into his casual pant's pockets and sauntered toward her.

"I admit it wasn't one of the smartest wishes I've ever made. Guess there's some truth about being careful what you wish for, huh?" She looked at a spot on the wall beyond his shoulder.

"Ya think?" He grinned, trying to ease the tension between them, knowing what had to be done.

"This isn't going to work is it? Us I mean, Colonel, sir?" She met his gaze.

"It's Jack."

"So you're retired?"

"For about thirty more minutes." He halted just shy of touching her. He saw the tremor pass through her before she donned her kick-butt Carter attitude and look.

"Well, I'm glad, Jack."

"You are?" He hoped she had some regret over his decision.

"Major Carter is, but not Samantha O'Neill." She admitted, looking longingly into his eyes. "Because she loves her husband . . ." She glanced out the conference room window at the gate.

"Husband," Jack lisped softly with regret.

"Oh, Jack, I'm afraid we're going to lose each other, not just physically, but emotionally. I think that's why I wished it were different between us. That, if we could fall in love after this . . ." She fanned her hand at the gate. "We'd cope better with the life and death decisions we have to make out there. If we weren't worried about the other, if we weren't in love-"

"I know, Sam." He glanced at the Ancient gate, the wheel of fortune. Crap, another stupid clich.

"You do?"

"Ah. Yeah. But no matter what, I'd always worry about you. Professionally, you're my 2IC, my other half. I can't change how I feel for you, but I can change how I deal with it. Didn't want to admit it, but I've often wished or thought what if not now, but if later, for us."

"Wow!" She turned back to him. "But it is now, Jack. I love you, more than ever and . . ."

"And I love you, Babe. So much it hurts." He pressed a blunt fingertip to her trembling lips. "But Lya said we needed to do what's best for humanity. I agree. I think you do too."

"What are you saying?" She caught his hand and held on.

"That everything that's happened this last year and even before that's been for a higher purpose. To show us how much we love each other. Heck, even when mind-stamped our feelings couldn't be erased or denied."

Sam nodded and stepped toward him. Jack stepped back. He saw the confusion in her eyes. Crap, it hurt to put the distance between them, but it had to start now. "Sam, if we're going to do what Lya said, we have to be stronger and more disciplined. We have to put our feelings and our marriage on hold."

"Yeah." She stared up at him and then lowered her moist eyes. "I know, Jack. I always have."

"We both have. We were just too selfish and stubborn to follow through. From here on a lot has to stop. The bedroom Walkie-talkie calls, sleeping together, the out of town restaurants, the park, stargazing, the closet . . ."

"The closet?" Her eyes rounded and she cleared her throat. "Sure. That makes complete sense." But her pained features said differently.

"It does? Coz, it doesn't with me." He scrubbed the back of his neck.

"Logically, the best thing to do is go cold turkey."

"Yes," his brusque CO tone kicked in. "Hey, it's not forever, Sam. But we've got to get past second-guessing every time we step into the field. Our lives depend on it, so do Teal'c and Daniel's. When you said I should have saved Daniel but tried to save you and we both died, I knew I'd lost my military edge. I knew that two weeks back when I hesitated shooting the Entity. That cannot happen again, Major."

"And I agree, sir." She straightened and saluted.

Jack returned the salute, but his heart ached. How long before he could hold her and love her as he was meant to, wanted to? "So, coffee, Jell-O and cake?" He offered his best lopsided smirk that made his dimples tuck deep the way Sam like them.

"Sir?" She arched a dusty blond brow.

"In the officer's mess surrounded by Air Force personal."

"Oh. Okay."

"Hey, Sam?" Jack coughed briskly into his hand. He hated to bring it up, but his conscious gnawed at him.

"Yes?"

"Personal matter here." He held up a finger.

Her hands on her hips, Sam turned and arched her delicate brows, her lips firmly pressed together.

"Um," Jack flushed beneath his tan. "The other day, when I was drunk as a skunk . . ."

"Yes?" She sighed and rolled her eyes. He hated when she rolled her at him.

"Did I say something about us, 'screwing each other until we couldn't walk straight on our wedding night?'"

Color tinged her cheeks. "Yes, you did." She held his wincing gaze.

"Well, I lied." He tensed waiting for her axe to fall . . .on him.

"I know." She grinned and caressed his tensed jaw before lowering her touch. "And I remember everything now."

"Really?"

"But I really wish it comes true someday." She winked suggestively.

"Well, your wish is my command, Mrs. O'Neill!" He chuckled and held her passionate gaze, and then scrounged inside his right pocket and removed two objects. He handed over the palm size lure box. "Oh, hoped you might want this back."

Opening the scratched, black plastic case, Sam's azure blue eyes shimmered at the sight of her wedding ring. "Yes! Thank you, Jack." She swiped at a maverick tear and clutched the box to her breasts as they stared with longing into each other's gaze.

"Think nothing of it." He beamed and rocked on his heels, feeling like king of the world, nope, the entire freaking galaxy and all because of his wife, Sam.

"Oh, and um," he offered two small gold-foiled objects.

Sam's eye rounded his second gift. "Godiva dark chocolate!"

"Yep." He smiled and winked. "They say chocolate heals everything from constipation to lovers misunderstandings."

Sam arched her incredulous gaze at him as she pocketed the confectionary with her ring.

"Well I'm just saying . . .they say that. Yeah." He winced.

"They sure do, sir." She smiled back.

Turning as one, they strolled toward the door, but the moment their hands brushed, Sam seized hold.

"Sorry, sir." She let go and stepped off quickly. "Won't happen again."

"Carter." Jack stayed put.

"Sir?" Se hesitated and turned slowly to face him. Arms folded over her breasts, her fair features were pressed into that stern military expression he knew well. Emotionless and unreadable except to him.

"C'mere." He stepped toward her and extended his arms.

Sam accepted and they held on for life. When Sam's slender frame trembled, he struggled to control his own physical response and failed. Failed to restrain all the love and passion he had for this brilliant scientist, this fierce warrior and his 2IC, who could be nothing more from here on out. Realizing this would be the last intimacy between them for a long while, Jack nuzzled the soft curve of her neck and caressed her hair, inhaling the scent of her, putting it to memory.

"Never stop believing in me, Sam, or in us."

"I won't." She murmured against his shoulder.

"Remember from here on, no matter what goes down, I love you, Samantha O'Neill," he whispered. "And one day, we'll have our happily ever after."

"And I love you. We'll be forever okay, Jack," she murmured into his shirt.

"Yeah. Forever, Babe." With that he let go, stepped back and waited until they had regained their professional veneers. Sam lifted her chin and tucked her long sleeved black shirt in place. "Ready, sir."

"Nice." He nodded with his deadpan look. They were back in sync, back to being CO and 2IC.

"So, Carter." He drawled out her name, opened the door and allowed her to pass through so he could watch her long legged strut. "I'm thinking."

"Dangerous, sir."

"Hey!" he groused. "I'm serious."

"You always are, sir." She sassed back and winked over her shoulder.

He made a face. "So about this cold turkey on the closet visits. One day a week couldn't hurt . . ."

"Colonel! We just agreed. In fact, you insisted!" Sam snorted.

"Err . . .umm. Yes. Well. I think we need to negotiate some of the finer points of our arrangement." He gestured between them. Sam's lips struggled to restrain a smirk.

"Man, oh, man," she groaned, but he heard the smile in her voice.

"Actually, my mama always said to look for the silver lining and that's exactly what I'm doing, here. I mean, what's one hour a week going to hurt to meet, talk, and-"

"Sheesh, you would think that."

"Yeah sure yabetcha." Jamming his hands into his deep pockets, Jack grinned and held back enjoying the feminine sway of Sam's slender hips in her green BDU's, not to mention her tight derriere and those legs that went on forever. He had long concluded that no matter what Carter wore, be it a revealing, Jaffa wedding gown or BDU's smeared with blood and mud, she was and always would be the sexiest woman to occupy his range of vision.

"Oh, you'd be amazed what I think, Carter. Really amazed. Now about the closet-"

"For crying out loud, sir!"

'Yeah, Mama said there'd be days like this, Mama said, Mama said!'

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 8 - Breathe by HailDorothy
Breathe - Part 8 - Chosen Heart Series

Breathe - Part 8 - Chosen Heart Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: There's more to Jack and Sam's bets than meets the eye.
Category: Humor, POV, Romance, Series
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-30

Title: Breathe/Chosen Hearts Series Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Warning: Usual SG-1 language, mild sexual content Pairing: S/J Friendship, Romance, humor Season: 5 Spoilers: None Rating: PG File size: 32KB Summary: Breathe: There's more to Jack and Sam's bets than meets the eye. Series Summary: The Chosen Hearts Series is an established storyline in which Jack and Sam fell in love during Jack's retirement. When Jack is re-commissioned and Sam inadvertently assigned his subordinate, they pretend to be strangers and put their wannabe lovers relationship on hold. Little do they realize it will not be a matter of months, but years, before they can follow through on the desire of their chosen hearts.

Author's Note: Thanks Susie B. for being my Beta. You're the greatest!

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. Copyright: The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author. HailDorothy (c) April 22, 2004

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please??? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

*~*

Inhale.

Exhale.

Breathe!

Man, it's like sucking water through a straw with a hole in it! Can't explain it. Oh, you can, but most people won't understand your scientific babbling, especially him. His deep-set chocolate eyes are riveted on you with such intimate intensity that you have to remember to . . .

Inhale.

Exhale.

Breathe!

Your chest burns from the stretch between each breath. He tilts his silver head and those kissable dimples tuck so far into his rugged tanned face, you want to crawl inside them.

Chocolate cake eyes.

"Carter?"

"Huh?" Oxygen deprivation? He wags his dark brows, which causes further stimulation to your flighty hormones. And even after six plus years you still don't get it. Where are we?

"It's base," he mutters to your non-verbal question.

But, which one?

Chocolate cake eyes.

Inhale.

"Your turn, Major."

You shift uncomfortably and your brows arch with concentration.

Dang, his chin resting on his hand, he's looking at you in that naughty way that makes your belly quiver and shreds your Carter kick butt willpower. Exactly what he's counting on.

You glance about the familiar surroundings and decide yeah, it's safe to breathe.

Exhale.

"What?" His pet word squirms pass your lips.

"Ya know."

"No, Sir?"

His shoulder brushes yours.

On purpose.

"Whatever." He turns into you, his large hand hovering over his objective and then his left thigh presses yours while his piercing weapon inches closer.

Is it ethical for him to do that . . . here? There are at least a dozen occupants, hopefully, not focused on the two of you.

"You're cheating." You force out with a distinct turtle gulp.

"It's called strategy, Carter." He winks, knowing you're referring to his touching you. "Winner takes all."

"In your dreams, Sir."

"Well there's that." His mischievous smile broadens.

Breathe.

You refocus on the chocolate objective and adjust your hips putting distance between his thigh and yours. His face scrunches at your unexpected maneuver, but he doesn't fold, especially on a bet. Slowly, deliberately you raise the object of his desire to your lips. It's a lot bigger than you expected, but you manage to shove it inside and close your mouth around it without gagging.

You win!

He gasps.

He can't believe you're doing this to him.

"Umm, yummy . . ." You hadn't anticipated it to taste this sweet. You relish the unbelievable velvet smooth texture while holding the desperate glazed look in his eyes. Holy Hannah! He's going to lose it!

His tongue lashes into the corner of your lips licking up the last remnant. Red heat spikes up your neck to the tip of your nose. You can't believe he did that . . .here . . .in the commissary. You dare not look around, dare not discover he-you got caught in the act.

Inhale.

"Sweet!" Confident he wasn't caught, his fork clanks alongside yours on the plate. He smirks, drags his tongue along his lips and then back into his mouth. "Ah, good to the last lick," he states roguishly. "And you owe me a ten spot, Carter."

Still blushing, you don't chance a look at him but extract a crumpled ten-dollar bill from your pocket and toss it on the plate. You won't argue with his royal smugness. After all, the verbal bet was, who could devour the last frosted crumb of an entire double-chocolate cake. Man, oh man, you hadn't counted on his last strategic O'Neill tactic. Dang his warped military mind.

Exhale.

And then you make another mistake. You look at him. He's no longer smiling. But has donned his patented deadpan mask that speaks volumes more, at least to you, then when he grins or frowns.

Breathe.

Sighing, you go for his eyes.

Exactly what he wants.

Air hitches in your throat.

Your belly tingles.

Deliberately, your tongue flicks and then lingers in the right bow of your mouth that he just licked and you taste him. Whoa!

It happens.

He can't breathe.

His priceless 'Oh duh,' expression makes your day.

Maintaining your seductive spell over his dark eyes, you take back your ten spot.

You've won!

Coz, the bet never was about cake.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Breathe!

~~Fin~~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
Chosen Heart Series - Part 9+ - Let Her Fly by HailDorothy
Let Her Fly Part 9+ Chosen Heart Series

Let Her Fly Part 9+ Chosen Heart Series

by HailDorothy

Summary: Missing scene before episode 713 Grace. Jack makes an unselfish decision that will affect his relationship with Sam forever. First read: 'Any Given Wednesday' of the 'Chosen Heart series'.
Category: POV, Romance, Series
Episode Related: 412 Tangent, 711 Evolution, 713 Grace
Season: Season 7
Pairing: Team, Jack/Sam, none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, minor language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-12-28

Title: Let Her Fly - Part 9+ Chosen Hearts Series Author: HailDorothy Email: gwichman1@new.rr.com Category: Angst/Romance Warnings: Jack's usual mouth, some sexual content Pairing: Jack/Sam Season: S7 Spoilers: 711,712- Evolution, 713 Grace Rating: 13+ Fic to be hosted: Heliopolis, Jackfic, GateWorld, SamandJack File Size: 87 KB

Story summary: Missing scene before episode 713 Grace. Jack makes an unselfish decision that will affect his relationship with Sam forever. First read: 'Any Given Wednesday' of the 'Chosen Heart series'.

Summary of the 'Chosen Hearts series': This is an established storyline in which Jack and Sam fell in love during Jack's first retirement. When Jack is re-commissioned and Sam inadvertently assigned his subordinate, they pretend to be strangers and put their wannabe lovers relationship on hold. Little do they realize it will not be a matter of months, but years, before they can follow through on the desire of their 'Chosen Hearts.'

Songs: "Caged Bird" (c) Alicia Keyes & "Fly" (c) Moxy Fruvous.

Special thanks to my betas', Carol Sue and DinkyDow who possess the left brained logic I don't. You ladies have patience beyond measure and aren't afraid to tell me when I've stepped out of character or crossed the sacred line of SG-1 canon.

Thanks to Almighty God. You gave me the gift of the bards. I'm forever grateful!

Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This series may include script excerpts from the TV Series 'Stargate SG-1.' This fan fiction was created for entertainment, not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks are intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of said author, HailDorothy December 27, 2004 (c).

Feedback: Gosh, darn, don't make me beg! Pretty Please??? Starvation of this writer's muse is no pleasant sight. All feedback is food for thought and well digested. "Feed me, Seymour!" (The Little Shop of Horrors)

~*~

CHAPTER ONE

SGC: Officers commissary

~*~

'Right now I feel like a bird Caged without a key Everyone comes to stare at me With so much joy and revelry

They don't know how I feel inside Through my smile I cry They don't know what they're doin' to me Keeping me from flyin'

That's why I say that I know why the caged bird sings Only joy comes from song She's so rare and beautiful to others Why not just set her free So she can Fly, fly, fly Spreadin her wings and her song Let her Fly, fly, fly For the whole world to see

She's like a caged bird Fly, fly Ooh shoulda let her fly shoulda let her fly Shoulda let her fly

Spread wings Spread beauty'

'Screw this song!' Jack scribbled in his notebook.

Two weeks ago, Hammond allowed elevator music to be played over the PA in the commissary. Despite his affirmation to improve staff morale, Jack wasn't too keen on the present music selection. Probably because Carter had just sung along, and he suspected she felt like a caged bird in their warped relationship. He also realized there was a glitch with the CD player, coz this was the third time the blasted song had played in the last twenty minutes.

Chin firmly braced on his left palm, Jack doodled in his notebook while Major Samantha Carter explained her newest theory on another application for the Naquadah generator . . .again, for his benefit.

"Sir?"

"Whaat?" He yawned, trying to block out the dumb and dumber song lyrics.

"Repeat what I just said?"

"Nope." He knew his comeback was not what she wanted. Knew he could repeat word for word and even understood her techno babble, but he so wasn't going to ruin his 'dumb O'Neill' image. Besides, messing with Carter was fun. Especially when she played along. Jack set down his pen and then dove into the remains of his Banana Cream pie.

"Why?" She crossed her arms and glared at him. Ah, the game was a foot!

"Coz, I'm your CO and don't have to." He smirked like a spoiled kid.

"Hah! More like you know and understood exactly what I said and are just messing with me, sir."

"If you say so."

Sam screwed up her blue eyes and stabbed at her salad. "I don't know why I bother," she muttered and toyed with her salad.

"Coz you're crazy about me, Carter." He winked and donned his best 'win over Sam,' smile around his forkful of pie.

"Ya think?" She was so not smiling and he realized it had nothing to do with his lack of interest in her generator blather. He put down his fork, peered at her and then followed her longing gaze across the room. Crap!

Colonel Mathews and his wife Captain Kris Barrette Mathews had just returned to duty after a ninety day leave and now sat discreetly but purposely at a corner table, talking softly to each other. They weren't holding hands. Even for married couples at the SGC that was discouraged, especially under Hammond. But the couple did not have to hide their feelings. Nor did they. According to the grapevine Kris was pregnant. They were not assigned to each other, hadn't been for two years. They'd been CO and subordinate back then and soon as mutual feelings arose, they'd asked to be reassigned so they could pursue a personal relationship. Hammond granted it. The Colonel accepted a training commission for the newest SGC candidates while the Captain remained part of SG-12. No doubt that would soon change. Yet Kris didn't look the least disheartened over that prospect. The younger woman had a glow about her, one Jack knew well. Motherhood did that to women. He could only imagine how radiant Sam would look carrying his baby. Someday. Yeah.

"They're so happy," Sam sighed out. "Maybe someday." She lowered her long lashed eyes, not meeting Jack's. Darkening beneath his tan he suddenly found his pie fascinating.

"Yes. Sure. Someday." Dang! He hated these bumpy moments between them. There'd been a lot of them of late, of Sam pouting over what they'd yet to share together. Not that she did it intentionally or even consciously. Sam was a strong proud woman, but every month about this time-and boy, did he know what time it was. Major PMS time! Her reproductive clock was ticking down as she had put it to him three months ago during a hot embrace off world that almost went too far. He'd no doubt be a dad-to-be had he not taken a cold dip in that moon's purple lake. Unfortunately he hadn't known the purple color had nothing to do with sunlight. Anything that went into that lake came out purple. It'd taken Fraiser days to find a solvent to remove Jack's lavender hue, not to mention weeks to live it down among the SGC.

Taking up her tray Sam stood to leave. "If you'll excuse me, Colonel."

"Sure, Carter." He didn't stop her. He couldn't without making a scene. Worse, she knew he wouldn't. Dang! He hated their charades.

Hearing her boot heels click on the concrete floor, Jack scrunched his face and looked back down at the notebook. It'd become his journal of sorts. No one knew and that's why he got away with writing in public. Who else, let alone Carter, would think Colonel Jack O'Neill kept a journal? No one, and that was the beauty of it.

He'd been unconsciously journaling while Sam had been babbling. Jack had been writing a lot lately, especially since Daniel returned from his Ancient condo in clouds. Daniel hadn't remembered much. Heck, Daniel hadn't even known he was Daniel, let alone that Jack and Sam were an item let alone married. Daniel still didn't know about the marriage, but he'd figured out they were emotionally involved. And like the old Daniel, the new one approved.

As time went by there were things Daniel inadvertently shared with Jack, cryptic messages meant for him and Sam. Phrases like chosen hearts, scarecrow, Dorothy, forever okay, Keeper of the Stars, words only Sam and Jack spoke of with one another. How had Daniel known? Even before he'd ascended those words were never said around him. And how had he known that this very event would happen now? What had he said last week? Oh yeah. Jack tried not to think about it, but it was crystal clear as if it were just happening.

~*~

"She's miserable, Jack, and afraid." Daniel pulled up his lab stool and examined one of his many rocks, err um, artifacts.

"Is not?"

"Is too."

"Afraid about what?"

"That this is all there is." Daniel's wiggled his fingers in that strange way, Jack always found fascinating. "And that she'll never have a life with you outside this mountain or with anyone else for that matter. Never have a normal life as a wife and mother."

"Geez, this has been her life for years, Danny, and by choice might I add. Besides, we both want a life with three point two kids and a dog. And someday we'll have it. We promised each other that years ago."

"Seven point three years is a long courtship, Jack."

"Yes, well let me do the math." Coz, technically it's longer than that. "Even when we're zapping snakeheads or flying through the gate, it's what I fight to live for. But I'm sure not going ask Sam to give this up for me. I'd never put her in that position."

"Maybe that's the problem." Daniel gazed over his smeared glass lens that Jack frowned at, removed, and then looked for something with which to clean them.

"Whatcha mean?" He reached for a box of tissues.

Daniel squinted and pulled a bottle of lens cleaner out of his desk drawer. "Here." He handed over the bottle. "You're both too selfish to let each other go. To let the other fly and discover if what you have is worth waiting for."

"Wow! I've been around enough to know what I want, Danny. Sam's all I need and if this is all we ever have, I'm content." Jack sprayed the dirty lens, wiped them with a tissue, perched the glasses on Daniel's nose, and then smiled with satisfaction.

"Hey, thanks. I can see again!"

"You really scare me sometimes, Daniel."

The linguist shrugged indifference. "Yeah, it's because you're older than Sam and have been married you can feel confident about what you want. Can't say the same about Sam. Which is why she's not as happy as she could be, should be."

"You saying I don't make Sam happy?" Jack flinched and his fists tightened at his side. Hitting something about now would feel great. Like Daniel!

"I'm saying, that besides a broken engagement to that wacko Jonas Hanson, you're all she's known for a long time, Jack. And well let's face it, for the most part, you're a royal pain the ass."

"You had to ascend to figure that out?"

Daniel snorted.

"Hey, I try to treat her right." Jack picked up an object and started doubting himself, including how he treated Carter.

"And you do. You treat Sam as your equal, let her fight her own battles most of time . . .But you also take her for granted, both as her CO and as her . . .um, lover."

"Oy!" Jack gestured at the camera.

"Don't worry, it's on the fritz . . . again." Daniel returned his attention to the book on Ancient Babylon he'd been studying.

"I'm a bad influence on you, Space Monkey." Jack dropped in the opposite swivel stool spinning around until dizzy, and then tipped his head back and balanced a pencil on his tip of his nose. Cool!

"Sure are." Daniel snorted and rolled his eyes.

Jack put down the pencil and a reflective moment fell between. When he started juggling an artifact, Daniel yanked it away and set it carefully on the table.

"So let me get this straight. You think Sam should date other guys?" Jack felt his gut ache at the very thought of Sam being with someone else. "Sleep with another men?" Now he wanted to vomit.

"Define sleep, Jack?"

"You forget about sex while you were cloud surfing?"

"Hardly. But let's face it, I've never believed you and Sam should have to obey that stupid fraternizing regulation, but you continue to honor it. So if you mean her being intimate with another man, well I wouldn't go that far. And were our roles reversed, which they aren't, I wouldn't want my wannabe lover with someone else either. Besides, I'm just theorizing here. Sam would never walk away from you let alone cheat on you. Nope, there'd have to be good reason for that to happen."

"Like me shutting down, being cranky and rude?"

"You already do that, Jack, and not just to Sam."

'Oh,' he mouthed. "Yeah, well I'm just saying." He winced.

"You'd have to become a real SOB. Avoid her, just talk shop, stop visiting her lab, bringing her Jell-O and cake. No more team barbecues or sleepovers as an excuse to be with her, no more hugs and that neck nuzzle thingy you never give Teal'c or me." He chuckled. "Would have to stop."

"Oy!"

"Yeah. But then we know that's never going happen." Daniel gathered his books to leave his lab.

"It's not." Jack scratched his jaw. "Why?"

"Because you, Jack O'Neill, are too selfish to let Sam out of the cage you built for her. Too selfish to let her soar among the clouds and wait for her to come back to you willingly and more importantly with no regrets."

"Am not."

"Are too."

~*~

'Crap. I'm one selfish bastard.'

Since he'd unconsciously scribbled down the words, Jack glanced at his poetic musing and realized the truth of Daniel's remarks.

"If you love her, Set her free . . . . If she comes back, she's yours, If she doesn't, she never was . . . meant to be. So let her spread her wings and fly, Let her soar where you are not Let her taste another's lips, And discover what she's missed locked within your arms. If you love her, If her happiness means more than your shattered heart Turn away, Set her free . . . If she comes back, she's yours If she doesn't she never was . . . Let her fly . . . Yeah Let her come back willingly . . .to be yours forever, with no regrets."

~*~

CHAPTER TWO

4 Months later: A Tok'ra scout vessel

~*~

Jack snapped open his watch cover and glanced at the date and time.

Wednesday, 1205 Hours. He snorted.

Figures it'd be Wednesday and they weren't at base having their weekly closet date.

Figures they were hundreds of light years from home and no freaking Stargate to step through and find Hammond greeting them with his typical parental scowl of concern followed by, "Welcome back, people. We'll debrief at 1330 hours and, Colonel, I suggest you shower."

Figures, they were experiencing the worst jet lag ever. It might be noon back home, but it felt like midnight, even later.

Figures, it had been another mission from hell. Eight days of detailed planning gone amuck, while trying to rescue a Tok'ra operative off of Anubis' ship. Another three days fleeing Anubis' drones, not to mention other Goa'uld. And now at last, they were on a Tok'ra scout ship headed home, with said rescued operative Jacob Carter at the helm. Rescuing Jacob Carter was becoming a monthly event.

His adrenaline still high and unable to sleep, Jack perched against a bullock in the transport hold and finished cleaning his P90. Zats and staff weapons didn't need cleaning. But Jack took comfort in this routine of disassembling and cleaning his faithful weapon. It gave him time to think and sort things out, like the details of his inevitable mission report, the details he'd list and the details he'd purposely omit. Yeah, there were a lot of the latter.

Well, at least his team made it through alive again. Not without scratches. Daniel had a mosquito bit, okay so it was a knife wound that the nurses would fuss over and Daniel would enjoy every minute of. Teal'c had been pummeled pretty hard but the big ox would heal in no time. And Carter-Jack forced that bloody thought away and stuffed it deep, tossing the key with it. He cleared his throat and took a quick swipe at the tears that burned his eyelids.

Dang, he sure couldn't let her or anyone else see him this way. Hands shaking, he straightened and locked the gun's muzzle in place, then concentrated on the positives, like now. She was alive. She was with him. Yeah!

Last he'd checked Daniel was sawing logs on co-pilot seat beside Jacob. Man could that kid snore! Teal'c was somewhere onboard and Sam was showering, rinsing off three days of sweat and blood, her blood, his blood. Showering without him. Hum. Wow! A vision he forced from his mind with some effort. Jack's thoughts kept sweeping over the roller coaster ride of their last mission. Mostly how many times he'd almost lost Sam, not including his two near misses of entering Heaven's pearly gates. Then again, he'd almost lost Daniel and Teal'c in that last crossfire. Crap! How much longer could he do this? Each time like now, the after effects weighed him down physically, mentally and emotionally. Stress induced acid reflux knotted his gut with enough acid to dissolve a silver dollar. He tossed a handful of antacids down his throat and chewed.

"I'm too freaking old for this!" he groused. And like all the other times, he vowed it was the last one. He'd retire and go fishing. So why did he keep pushing his middle-aged bones beyond their max?

"Sir?" Carter stood in the doorway yawning.

Oh yeah, that's why. Jack looked up at his exhausted 2IC. Like everyone else she had needed a change of clothes. But she'd fallen asleep after Selmak had healed her and had been the last to wash up. Jacob had given the team spare Tok'ra uniforms. At least Jack's fit this time. Nothing riding up his butt, not even Sam's thong. He grinned. On the other hand, Sam's outfit was two sizes too big. He smiled at her adorable features drowning in what he called pajamas with attitude.

"It's late, Carter, get some Z's." He couldn't handle her being so near him, not without making a fool out of himself. But then what was new about that?

"If I go to sleep we can't talk, sir." She sashayed toward him, then halted and looked down into his expressionless response. Her mouth was tight with forced concentration, but her blue eyes misted. Crap! She's awaiting permission. Didn't she know she didn't need it? Didn't she know how he needed her here? Man, was he confused!

"Be my guest, Ma'am." Jack wasn't about to argue, anytime with Carter was precious to him. And whether he made a fool out of himself or not, he wanted her here.

Sam settled beside him, but made certain they didn't touch. The CO in him respected that, wanted that. While the man who loved her, grieved at how formal they could be even when alone. Still they'd not had much downtime or one-on-one even if it was as CO and subordinate. Strange it was Wednesday, their day, as they called it. If they'd been home on base, they'd be in their closet, holding each other and talking, not about the SGC or the Goa'uld, but each other and their future. Or sometimes like now they didn't need to talk, they'd just hold each other the entire time. Yeah. It'd been three months since they'd last shared the closet. But at least they'd been together in one fashion or another, even if it was as sir and ma'am.

After almost eight years they'd come to play their charade so well it was no longer second nature, it was first. Like an old married couple, they'd gone past the need of stolen glances or touches to know how intense and secure they felt in their love for each other. Although of late Jack sensed more unease in Sam, sensed her discontent. Especially after Daniel had pointed it out to him a few months back. But after yesterday, that concern had vanished. Carter still loved him and knowing this Jack could be content, until the next time, he only prayed she could.

When their shoulders grazed she smiled wearily at him. That simple contact sent pleasurable signals southward. You may be an old, bone-aching fart, Jack, but you're not dead below the waist. He shifted his propped knees hoping to hide the evidence. He recalled their near-death experience in Antarctica seven years back and when cuddling for warmth, Sam's hand had accidentally grazed his crotch. "It's my side arm, I swear." Like hell it was and she knew it.

Freezing to death with a broken leg, cracked ribs, and internal bleeding Jack was at full attention coz Carter was holding him. If he could have managed it, he'd have made love to her. Often as now, he wished he had. Wished every opportunity they'd passed over the years he'd not been so noble and loyal to the regulations. Then again, would she have respected him in the morning? Respect was a major factor in their wannabe lovers relationship and he somehow sensed they'd not be together had one or the other broken that moral military protocol.

Sam yawned and interrupted Jack's revelry. She'd been suffering insomnia the last while. At least he'd catnapped. She looked more exhausted than he felt. She could be sitting at the helm with Jacob. That she was here made him grateful.

"I'm grateful too, sir." She put a hand on his forearm and squeezed gently, then laced both her hands around her bent knees, where she propped her cheek and gazed at him.

Jack kept his cool. Their mind reading had long become the norm. He set his weapon aside and turned into her, their faces so close he could easily kiss her. Jack wanted nothing more than to bend his weary head and be renewed by her moist warm lips and a kiss that would be as responsive and wanting as his own. He wouldn't though. Sam knew it, accepted what they had for now. They'd laid their ground rules so long ago, he wondered if she ever regretted them as he did. Yet just being together, having made one more day, meant they were closer to being together as lovers, as husband and wife. Now, like always with the battle temporarily behind them, he became lost in her dark blue gaze that was his alone. He finally found his voice, and it wasn't his CO tone either.

"Yes, well, there's a lot to be grateful for. Anything particular this time?" He waggled a brow.

"You." She grinned. "Saved Dad's butt again."

"You saved him too."

"Guess so. Either way, he's appreciative."

Jack grinned at their atypical round robin chat. "He told me, Sam. Besides I lost track how many times he's saved my sorry ass over the years."

"I know." She stifled a yawn then glanced out the small port window at the passing stars. Another reflective moment that was theirs as Jack stared with her. "Amazing that no matter what, they are faithfully always there, where ever we go. A safe bet."

Jack smiled wistfully. "Yeah, amazing." His gaze locked on her eyes he so wasn't thinking about the stars. Like me Sam. 'I'll always be here for you no matter what.' But instead he said, "My mom always believed they were windows to heaven."

He expected her to start babbling about the molecular makeup of a star. She didn't. "The older I get the more I'd like to believe that."

"Me too."

With the strong comfort level between them Jack gave a prayer of thanks. Sam lulled her head against the bullock and pulled her knees to her chest again. They sat in silence. He wondered if she was thinking about when they'd been locked up together, when they thought they were going to die yesterday? What they'd said to each? How they'd embraced, kissed and almost made love? Yeah, coz he sure was thinking about it. A lot. Still, she said nothing and that was all right. He knew her well enough, knew she'd probably buried it for the time being. That's how Sam dealt with their situation. He could deal to. He always did. Yeah.

Jack stood, then eased into his sleeping bag and settled down feeling every groove and fastener of the hard surface biting into his aching muscles and spine. There was a time when being so bone tired he wouldn't have noticed the metal deck beneath him.

The fact he wanted his firm support mattress more than ever, confirmed what he'd known the last four years. You're getting old, Jack. Hell, you don't even savor the macho pain anymore. What a wimp! And the same old concerns and questions rattled about in his head, this time demanding answers.

For both our sakes, I've got to get out of this freaking job while I'm still in one piece. We want normal, want a home and kids. Just how many baseballs can I pitch to a six-year old if I keep up this warrior crap? Going to pitch them from a walker or wheel chair, Jack? He shuddered.

'The Goa'uld remain a pain in the assets while Anubis thinks he's God and his next stop is to screw mother earth. Not like I've still got the Ancients knowledge to defeat the SOB. Dang, if I could just stick my head back in that wall blender again. Yeah!

And if I resign will Carter love, trust, and respect me? Love yes. Respect and trust probably not. And I know what happens when those vital emotions die. Sara. Yeah. Right. So not going there.

But how long do I expect Sam to wait? She deserves more. Deserves to have a life outside the SGC. Heck we're so paranoid about the NID we don't even meet in the park anymore, or sit on my roof and stargaze. When's the last time I wined and dined her in public, let alone cuddled on the couch and watched Gene Kelly movies and fell asleep together. Be honest, not since before Daniel ascended. And now that he's back? Still nothing.

Why?

Darned if I know.

Yes I do. Coz, I'm chicken shit. I'm not good enough for Sam, never have been. That's always been the issue. Time I own up to it and bow out gracefully. Yeah, before she comes to hate me for all these years of not having normal, of not having a family and kids. Of clinging to a seven year old promise made in a musty closet.

But she loves me!

Love! What does she know about love between normal folks?

Like she's had a chance to meet anyone else or love anyone else. I've made certain that hasn't happened. I've kept her with me. Even when I'm off fishing, I know exactly where she's at, what she's doing. She's either working or with Janet, Cassie, Jacob, Mark, Daniel or Teal'c. I never even worry about her looking beyond our extended family or me. But I know she needs more, wants more. And someday this won't be enough least not the way things are between us now. Face it, Jack; it hasn't been enough for along time. No kissing, touching, making love, making babies. Why are we lying to each other about it?

Crap!

Truth hurts, huh?

Sure does.

So what if someone younger, smarter, handsomer comes along? How am I going to deal? Look how badly I handled that Ancient alien Orin living in her house for two weeks. I behaved like a jealous lover, showing up with pizza and Star Wars videos just to see if the guy was a romantic threat. Sure, he wasn't, but I still worried. And later, after the guy died to save her, well, became an Ancient again, Sam was devastated, but when I held her, the first words out of her mouth were, he loved me, Jack, but I couldn't return the affection, because of us.

Crap! What us? Stealing an embrace on an alien planet in front of other officers, and making it seem as if I'm just consoling my 2IC? So freaking romantic, Jack.

Maybe I should do what I did to Sara? Shut down. Push her away. Encourage Sam to see other men. The very thought of another man loving her, touching her, fulfilling her needs! Ow! Major acid reflex.

But she's my wife! In name only. Still, don't recall if we consummated our vows. Besides we haven't discussed it in years. Afraid to. Afraid it didn't happen. Worse, afraid that it did.

But, Dear Lord, she's my life. I love her!'

God answered. Weird, how the Almighty always sounded like General Hammond.

'How much, Jack? Do you love her enough to let her go? To see her happy, no matter the cost, no matter the pain? Do you love her enough to work with her side-by-side and know she's with someone else? If you can do that, then perhaps you'll know the joy of true love that requires sacrifices greater than you've yet to make. Son, you've died for her more times than you can count. You've also said you'd die for anyone, but you would only live for Carter.

So prove it, son.

If you love her, Set her free . . . . If she comes back, she's yours, If she doesn't, she never was . . .'

Fine, fine! God's quoting my love sonnets!

'Jack, if you really love Samantha, you will let her go and you will live on. What'll it be, son?'

~*~

CHAPTER THREE

~*~

Jack couldn't answer that question. He knew in his aching heart what he had to do and soon. But for the immediate, he selfishly clung to what little they had. Here. Now.

"It's free ya know?"

"What?" She brushed a damp curls from her eyes and looked down at him.

"My shoulder." He extended his hand in his CO non-threatening fashion.

Sam worried her lower lip. He could see the wheels turning as she glanced at the open hatchway, knowing just around the corner Dad sat at the helm.

"Ah, the campers are asleep, Dorothy, we should do the same."

"Daniel and Teal'c are hardly my concern, Colonel."

"Yeah, well, we've talked," he yawned out. "Me and Dad, that is."

"And?"

"He knows."

Her mouth opened and then snapped shut.

"If you recall, he's known since the X-301 Intercept incident. Heck, I figured, he'd suspected long before that."

"How could I forget?" She shuddered. "But he doesn't know we got married on Chulak."

"Does now."

Jack smirked as his wife's chin figuratively hit the floor. Well almost. "Shut your mouth, Major."

She did, but not before glancing toward the helm and scowling. "How long?"

"All along, I suspect." He shrugged.

"Holy Hannah!"

"Hey, does it matter?"

"Yes!" She crossed her arms over her the swell of her breasts. Jack grinned knowing those size C cups were all his. Yeah.

"Sam." He dragged a hand over his face and into his hair, yawning. He couldn't believe he was arguing about sleeping together, let alone that's all they were going to do. Ever. He tried not to think that, but couldn't, his conversation with the Creator too close for comfort.

"Don't Sam me, Colonel, sir."

"Ah, crap, here we go again!"

Sam leaned forward and hissed, "Dad threatened to zat you if this ever happened and I believe him."

"Hey, nothing has happened that either of us are ashamed of, right?"

"Well, no." She failed to engage his daring gaze. "But we're married, Jack. We broke the regs." He heard the drained regret in her voice and winced.

"A matter of interpretation, Carter. I did retire!"

"Barely."

"Well there you are. Besides, I survived Dad's wrath." 'Only hope I can survive yours, Sam. Hope you won't hate me someday soon. God, this is so freaking hard!'

"Only because he loves you like a son."

"Ya think?" He waggled his brows and hoped he'd pulled it off.

"I know so." The hint of a smile bowed her lush lips.

"Whatever. The point is I'm still alive and so are you." He sniffed a breath. "And I wouldn't pass up a safe bet, Carter." He winked, then held the sleeping bag open for her, fearing this was the last time they'd share such intimacy. By tomorrow this time they'd be gating back to earth and then he'd start doing what he had started after Daniel ascended but had failed. This time he'd make certain Sam fell out of love with him. Yeah. He could do that for her sake. For her future happiness, he could do no less.

"Odd, that's what Dad just said to me." She scrunched her face in amusement.

"Well, there you are. Father knows best about safe bets."

"So he thinks." She joined Jack and curled her slender warm back against him, closed her eyes and sighed out in contentment, "Thanks."

"Think nothing of it." He draped the top of the sleeping bag over them and wrapped his right arm possessively around his 2IC. His fingers gently needed her tensed neck muscles and shoulders. He'd miss these precious moments, miss the feel of Sam pressed against him, even if just as CO and 2IC sharing body heat. Jack choked back the emotions clogging his throat, strangling his heart.

"It's Wednesday, you know."

"Yeah sure yabetcha." He hugged her tighter. "Closet time."

"Our time." She sighed. A peaceful moment passed. "You know what else I'm grateful for," she whispered into his shoulder.

"Umm . . . what?" 'Hang in there, Jack, don't let her feel you shake, feel you sweat.'

"You being you."

"Well there's only one me." He chuckled in her ear.

"Thank heavens." She sighed. "I couldn't handle anyone else having you as their CO."

"Daniel and T do."

"That's different."

"Why?"

"They're guys."

"Ah. And your point?" His fingers tracked beneath the blanket along her ribs and skimmed the contours of her firm bosoms. He felt her breath hitch, but she didn't stop him from exploring their fullness or when he caressed and aroused their peaks. It was almost as if she knew it wouldn't happen again, as of she sensed his intentions. Did she? He hoped not.

"Wow! That would be one of them." She snagged his hand and pressed it firmly over her right breast, which he gently kneaded. Sam shuddered and pressed into him.

"Gotcha." He snickered.

"Yes, you do, sir. Forever."

'Hope so.'

"This is so not something I'd be doing to the guys, Carter," he growled in her ear, and then kissed her earlobe.

"Well that's a relief." Another sensual Carter moan and he almost lost it as his fingers itched to explore far more south than her breasts.

Whoops! Time for a time out, O'Neill! He settled his hand on her hip, which only made him think of what rested between her gorgeous hips. This is not good, Jack. Well it's very good, just not a good time. No. It's a good time. Just, well, the timing sucks. Crap! There won't be another time!

"Yes, well, I thank God more than you'll ever know, Dorothy, for all we've had."

"Umm, me too. But there will be more, you know," she said suggestively and wiggled against him.

"Yes, Well. Sure." He winced, hoping she didn't catch the reluctance in his voice.

Sam sighed and drawing his forearm across her collarbone, she pressed a hot kiss to his open palm.

Jack swallowed at her intimate gesture. Not something he'd ever taken for granted. But her delicate kiss further stirred him and he tried to adjust himself to conceal the growing indication of his need for her.

"Sir?"

"It's my side arm, I swear," he whispered huskily, only to feel her rub her derriere against his loaded weapon. Jack's breath hitched and his voice dropped an octave. "You're evil, Carter."

"So you've said." Sam laughed softly.

"No giggling." He jammed an extra blanket between them.

"Trying." Only to laugh at his temporary solution to calm mutual desires.

"Carter, go-" he croaked.

"To sleep. Yes sir. But-"

"Na ah!" His breath warmed her neck.

A moment of silence followed as Jack swept her damp blonde hair off her neck and gently stroked the length of her white skin with his leathered fingertips, knowing that soothed her. Sam's soft, steady breathing assured him, his magic touch was working.

"Lord, give me strength to walk away from this, from her?"

Like a familiar soap opera Jack revisited the last seven years. How quickly it had passed. How much they'd seen and experienced together. More than most couples experienced in a lifetime. Yeah, what they'd had was precious and sacred. Suddenly Jack was hearing Sam's techno babble, watching her blue eyes glow bright when she'd discover some new alien technology and how she'd try to explain it to him, knowing he'd interrupt her by flagging his hands, rolling his eyes or just plain gripping for her to get to the freaking point. Yeah, he loved those moments when despite their mutual annoyance with each other they loved beyond words.

Jack smiled at how she laughed at his lame jokes, worse she understood them. How she argued with him just for the sake of arguing, knowing she could get him madder than a hornet one minute and calm him with a smile or a touch the next. In truth it was usually Sam who when Jack was facing off with the likes of Kinsey, could with one gaze, lower his rage to a simmer. No one had that much emotional control over Jack, but Samantha Jean Carter-O'Neill. No one made him angrier, happier or sadder than she did. And there was no one else, not even Daniel or Teal'c who he trusted more, to either watch his six or save their collective asses. He trusted Sam, depended on her to be there for him, for their team, no matter what. And the idea of losing that bond with her scared the ever-loving crap out of him. But he also knew the time was coming for Sam to lead her own SG team and if Jack had his way it would be SG-1.

If all went as planned, in two weeks she'd board the Prometheus with Colonel Ronson for a month of scientific exploration, including some newly discovered nebulous forty-eight light years from earth. Until today, Jack had planned to go along. Not that he needed too. But unlike the past when he allowed her to spread her wings without him preening over her, he'd intended to keep her at his side and protect her. Why? Because he'd grown more possessive and paranoid than ever when it came to Sam's welfare.

Crap! Sam so didn't need his protection. Never had. He realized then, he wasn't helping her move up the ladder, he was holding her back. He couldn't do that anymore. She would go this one alone. She deserved too.

Before their previous mission when she'd gone off with Jacob and Teal'c and Jack had but minutes before flying to Central America to save Daniel's ass, Jack had comes to terms with how much he loved Sam. They'd met in the closet and said goodbye. It had been the hardest farewell he'd ever experience between them. They'd almost made love. He'd wanted her so desperately. He'd sensed the same in Sam. He'd also sensed her despair and longing for more than promises of when he returned. She'd reassured him it was enough, that they were okay. But as he left, he knew it wasn't. He knew he was losing her.

Later, in the jungle, Jack realized how much he hated being out of her sight, not knowing she was all right. He knew she'd be in danger, so was he, but it wasn't his life he'd been concerned with, worried over. He'd never forget when he heard she'd been knocked around by one of Anubis' drones and dislocated her shoulder. He almost went to met her, but knew Hammond would see through whatever excuse Jack would have. When Sam exited the gate with Jacob and Teal'c, when he saw her arm in a sling, he could only stand there and said something stupid like:

"So. Miss me?" When all he'd wanted to do was pull her in his arms and never let her go.

Yeah, all he could do was buy her lunch and cut her food. She'd seemed satisfied with that, with holding his hand under the table of a restaurant forty-five miles from the Springs, where there were hopefully no knowledgeable witnesses. Jack almost resigned that day. And yet he knew Sam would have blown a gasket had he even voiced his intentions.

Like now, she would have argued he had an important job to do, that he couldn't turn his back on saving Earth let alone the galaxy because of their love affair. She'd even quote his words, "That's what we do, Carter, we kill the bad guys and save the world."

That had been the light bulb moment for him. When he realized they were heading for dangerous seas. When he knew he could no longer separate being her CO from being her husband. Oh, he'd gone this route before, they both had over the years. But he knew were there a next time like this last mission, of not knowing if she were alive or dead, he'd probably go bonkers. Heck, he'd not gone fishing in six months. He didn't want to. He wanted to be with Sam twenty-four seven. Had she noticed? Why hadn't she asked why he no longer drove the sixteen-hour drive over the weekend, nor asked her to go fishing anymore? Two reasons, he couldn't bare to hear her say no again, and because like him, she knew things were no longer safe between them if she did accept.

If given the opportunity two things would eventually happen. They'd jump each others bones and hate each other later, or one of them would walk. Jack knew Sam wouldn't walk without cause. So he would give her one. He wondered if she realized that. Was she was waiting for him to give her the okay to move on?

Hey, give her some credit, Jack. She's way smarter than you. She knows you better than anybody. So why hasn't she said something? Why after yesterday, when you were both pledging your love to each other does she act as if you are a normal couple who just happens to fight aliens for a living? Why does she act as if this is enough, when she knows damn well it isn't what she wants anymore?

Some heavy metal song he'd heard while channel surfing on his truck's radio wormed its way into his wormhole, tunnel-vision brain. Sometimes having a mind like a steel trap sucked. Of all the stuff to unconsciously file away, Jack memorized song lyrics, even the ones he didn't like. Yep, it was just another befitting song for his bittersweet love affair with Sam. How'd it go?

'When you've played out As the World Turns You don't need soaps to clean your mind Every little child learns If you can't see dreams, your eyes are blind Was it just a fool's impression? Such an antiquated passion.

On the day they both conspired to ride the midway after dark They had enough of their pride to not bring coins to this amusement park And she held his hand to follow And he held his breath, then let go They crouched down low. Sat in the front row. Untied the rope so they could fly Hold on tight, let's get it just right, We'll take our last flight.

You and I.

When you're getting tired of normal You sometimes think you've lost your will You see something less formal And reconcile to try to move in for the thrill Was it breaking down like most do? Or searching for happiness where you're supposed to?

So they cried inside while their eyes smiled There was no turning back for two Erase the memory stockpile All alone, and one thing left to do In the roller coaster shadows, They took off their shoes and bared their souls They crouched down low. Sat in the front row Untied the rope so they could fly Hold on tight, let's get it just right We'll take our last flight.

You and I.

And she held his hand to follow And he held his breath, then let go They crouched down low Sat in the front row Untied the rope so they could fly Hold on tight, let's get it just right, We'll take our last flight.

You and I.'

Geez, stop thinking so much! Man, you're becoming Carter. Jack drew her close, shut his eyes and inhaled the essence that was Samantha, a scent he'd know anywhere, anytime, since their Black Ops days. A scent that had upon many occasions led him to her and saved her life and his as well. Odd, that neither Daniel nor Teal'c had ever noticed it. He wondered why?

Sam's fragrance was as familiar to Jack as his own. And then it hit him. She smelled like him. Well, not exactly. Sam was sweeter and fresher, but amidst the vanilla and strawberry shampoo, he inhaled what she'd called his unique earthy scent of crushed autumn leaves and fresh dirt. Yeah, that scent was his and she now exuded it. Odd, he'd not noticed before how they'd become each another, not only in knowing each others thoughts and finishing each other sentences, but smell as well. So did he smell like vanilla? Weird. Like they were bonded. Was that normal? Was he imagining this? Was he a pervert!

"You smell nice," Sam mumbled with a sleep-laden tongue as she nuzzled deeper into his arms.

"So do you, babe."

"You called me, babe." She tilted her head, rubbing her cheek against his bristled jaw, sending another electrical surge to elevate his high testosterone levels.

"Yep." He grinned not feeling the least bit guilty, then whispered back, "We still okay, Sam?"

"Forever okay, Jack." She held on tighter.

"Yeah."

She was the sole reason why he'd kept doing what his fifty-something year old body and mind loathed. He was holding that reason as close as possible without hurting his wife Sam. He only hoped she could survive the emotional injury he would soon inflict upon her, he hoped and prayed she realized he loved her enough to let her go. More importantly, he hoped his trust in God would be repaid and that in letting Sam go she would one day fly back to him.

Within a few moments Sam's breathing settled into a soft rhythmic snore. Only now could he release the long weary breath he'd been holding and the tears. At last he could draw her closer and without hesitation, finger the wisps of blonde curls behind her right ear and kiss her soft white neck. Only now like her, could he sleep.

~*~

Walking toward the bridge, Teal'c paused at the transport room's hatchway and glanced at his two friends. Smiling, he cocked his head with rye amusement at the familiar intimate position they had settled into. O'Neill called it spooning. On his world they called it what it was. The mating embrace meant only for lovers, husbands and wives. Turning away, Teal'c's Jaffa smile broadened.

Had they any idea how long it had been since they'd joined as man and woman, as young lovers eighteen years ago? Apparently not. Teal'c wondered how much longer he should keep the truth from them. Unfortunately, two other innocent beings were involved. So for now, he would remain silent. He had no choice. His companions had long become one in heart, mind and soul. Hopefully one day soon, their bodies would become one again as well.

"Indeed." Meanwhile, he would have to keep Jacob/Selmak occupied. Somehow, Teal'c did not think Samantha Carter's over protective father would be pleased to find her in the Colonel's arms. Then again, Jacob was presently in debt to O'Neill. He would just have to eat cake or was it crow?

Teal'c preferred cake. ~*~

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to HailDorothy
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=317