Login

Had I not seen the Sun von squibalicous

Convincing the good doctor to return to Cheyenne with them took longer than Jack had expected.  Didn't these science types wet themselves when someone tells them that they were right?  So here he was on a plane for the second time in less than 24 hours headed back to Cheyenne with Dr Samantha Carter in tow.  He could hear the quiet mutterings between her and Daniel toward the front of the plane.  She hadn't stopped asking questions since they boarded.   

Seated toward the back Jack stared at his cell phone for the third time since boarding.  It had rung again just before take-off.  The caller ID read Kerry.  He had avoided all of her calls since they landed in Boston.  She was in the Springs for a few days on vacation.  The "plan" was for them to finally take a few days together.  Their six month relationship had been mostly defined by her schedule as the CIA liaison to the SGC.  A night here and there, whenever her job brought her to the mountain from Washington.  The casualness worked for him but lately she had been hinting, no more like demanding that they start "making plans."  He had left her at his house early in the morning after receiving Hammond's recall.  He hadn't told her he was going to Boston.  It was likely she went to the mountain after finding his side of the bed cold.  Hammond would fill her in on the situation. 

Accepting the inevitable he dialed his voicemail. 

"Message 1.  Jack where the hell are you?  I called Cheyenne and Walter said you were offsite.  I am going in to find out what the hell is going on.  Call me." 

Jack stabbed at the 7 button on his cell, "Message 1 deleted."

"Message 2.  Jack, General Hammond told me you are in Boston.  Call me when you get this." 

"Message 2 deleted." 

"Message 3. For Christ's sakes Jack, what is so hard about making a phone call?  I know you landed in Boston hours ago.  I want to talk to you.  Call me." 

"Message 3 deleted." 

"Message 4. Baby, listen, I'm sorry.  I just wa.." 

"Message 4 deleted." Jack snapped his phone shut and sunk heavily into his seat. 

Why did he think Kerry would be any different?  Maybe since she knew about the Stargate and his job, he thought it would be easier.   In the past eight years he had tried to maintain several relationships but each became a hassle of expectations.  He and Sara had even made a second go of it.  But the secrets he had to keep once more killed whatever love was left between them.  At least with Kerry he did not have to explain away his absences and occasional injuries with the malarkey about deep space telemetry.   But not needing to keep secrets about the Stargate simply exposed the real root of the problem.  Him.  He just couldn't take the step to truly trust another human being.  Sure he trusted people, Daniel, Teal'c, the personnel at the SGC.  But all that was about was life and limb.  No, there was one secret that Jack O'Neill couldn't, wouldn't trust with anyone else.   At his age he figured that was a secret he would take to his grave. 

__________________________________________________ 

Air Force, the military, god and country.  Sam winced.  Seated on the Gulf Stream jet now headed towards Colorado Springs she wasn't sure if this was her greatest dream or her worst nightmare come true.  Hours earlier she had risked her entire career on a theory that would be mocked and refuted by her peers. Next she was being told not only were her theories correct but somewhere in the bowels of Cheyenne Mountain was the proof. She had hesitated at first. 

The two officers and one Dr Daniel Jackson were not forthcoming with much information until she signed the disclosure statement.  She had sworn years ago that she would never put herself under the control of the military, especially the Air Force.  Her father, dead these six years, was career military.  Her decline of the Air Force's offer when she finished at Stanford was the final betrayal for him.  Ever since her parents divorce when she was in high school her father had taken a distant spectator's view of her life.  She had blamed the military for her parents break-up.  Years of moving around to different bases, weeks even months without him and no more of explanation than the curt reply of classified.   It became too much for her mom. 

As for her mother, Sam maintained a more congenial relationship, even standing up with her when she remarried. Carl was a civil engineer.  Quiet, understanding and far more willing to make Elizabeth part of his life.  Their decision to retire to Arizona was a mutual one, unlike all the moves her father's career required.  Choice, this is what she wanted most for herself, choice and freedom from secrets. The military offered very little choice and too many secrets.

______________________________________________

The sun was setting over the moutains when they finally landed on base.  Departing from the plane Major Paul Simmons was immediately on his phone to the SCG.  As the group seated in the non-descript government Suburban Jack noticed Paul nod and end the call.  Hopping into the driver's seat he turned to Jack. 

"That was General Hammond.  The techs attempted a dial out while we were in the air." 

"And." Jack asked. 

"There was another power discharge on the other side from the DHD.  Two members of SG-4 were injured.  Major Porter suffered minor burns on his arms but his second; Captain Steele received three degree burns on her torso and face.  The gate disengaged before they could send medical supplies to them.  No other attempt has been made."   

"Let's get to the mountain."  Jack ordered.