Login

Had I not seen the Sun von squibalicous

Kerry wouldn't say she liked Ned Karlanski but for the last three years he had done his job and done it well.  So when she received word that the Boston Police had found his body in the apartment of Doctor Samantha Carter she felt of twinge of regret.  Ned's job was simple, observe and report on the research of one Doctor Samantha Carter or as her dossier referred to her, Clementine.

As his handler, she was his first call that morning.   He had been surprised by two Air Force officers and a civilian doctor who approached Dr. Carter following her presentation.

Kerry knew the protocol.  Once a mark was exposed all related product must be taken into custody.  Wanting it to be done quietly she had instructed Ned to discreetly retrieve all hardware and hard copy data from Doctor Carter's home and office.

She could not have predicted that it would get him killed.

She had little time to mourn his passing.  What she honestly regretted was that based on the initial investigation report, all computer equipment and files were missing from the doctor's apartment and office.

Kerry had little choice but to leave the investigation of Ned's death to the Boston office.  Her concern right now was the taking Myron Phelpps into custody.


Kerry stepped lightly off of the sidewalk and slipped behind the dark van parked on a side street.  Opening the rear door she hauled herself in, joining the two other agents who were seated with head phones on and their eyes trained on a video feed.  Watching the screen all three caught as a young man walked with agitation up the steps of an apartment building.  Looking anxiously over his shoulder the young man entered the front door.

Myron Phelpps was 27 years old.  He had worked at the Pentagon for two years as a computer engineer.  He was a member of a four person team who had recently finished updating a program for the Stargate.  Of course, with only level three clearance the actual purpose of the program was unknown to the team.  For all they knew, they were writing install command codes for the Army's new mobile dishwashing units.

One of the men removed his head phones and turned to Kerry.

"That's our guy."


Myron Phelpps entered his DC apartment and went directly to the hall closet.  Grabbing the black duffle from the shelf, he set it on the floor to open it.  On top was clothing, which he quickly pulled out.  Next he found a billfold containing two passports, both with his picture.  Digging in further he removed two dense packets of currency.  One was of US $100 and the other Brazilian real.

It was enough money for him to travel to his destination.  Once there he would walk into the Banco Central dos Brasil, present his second passport and claim his 1.2 million US.

Frustrated with a job he knew was beneath his talents Myron Phelpps couldn't believe his luck when a beautiful woman approached him 6 month ago with an offer he could not refuse.

For $200,000 a month all he needed to do was slip a few lines of code, provided to him, into a couple of installation programs.   The new code seemed utterly inconsequential, having no effect upon the program itself.  Beyond this, Myron never questioned its purpose. 

He knew that he was in trouble when the number he called to reach his friend was suddenly disconnected.  Myron had known this day would come and planned accordingly.

Zipping up the duffle, Myron took his government issued cell phone from his pocket and once more reached into the closet.  From a utility box he removed a small hammer.  Placing the cell phone on the floor, Phelps brought the hammer down hard on the phone.  He slammed it three more times until it was shattered. Discarding the hammer, he grabbed the duffle and headed for the door.

All he needed to do was get to Dulles Airport.  6 hours later he would be sipping caipirinhas on a beach.

As he opened his door these thoughts dissolved as a woman stepped in the doorway, blocking his flight.


Watching the video feed of Myron Phelpps' building Kerry observed her two associates enter. 

"Martins."  She spoke into the open microphone.

"We're on the second floor."

Listening as the men took the stairs up to the fifth floor apartment, Kerry waited.

Suddenly an explosion came over the audio, forcing her to remove the headset.

Scrambling through the door of the van, she sprinted down the sidewalk.

As bystanders on the street stood and stared, following the billow of smoke and flame coming from the apartment, Kerry noticed a woman walking calmly toward her.  The woman stepped from the sidewalk to a waiting car. 

Drawing her weapon Kerry yelled out.

"Stop!"

Turning to Kerry, the woman's eyes flashed gold. 

Shocked for a moment Kerry was unaware of the man behind her.  Just as she aimed at the woman the hard butt of a gun came down upon the back of her head.