Login

Had I not seen the Sun von squibalicous

In the years he had been at the SCG Jack had seen many responses to people's first impressions of the Gate, from awe and confusion to downright giddiness.  One response he had not witnessed before was resignation.  Watching the tall blond as she took in the Gate from the observation room made him wonder if this was the right Dr. Samantha Carter.  Within the last ten hours this woman had been told her revolutionary scientific theories were scientific fact and presented before her was a millenniums old piece of alien technology and her only reaction was a set jaw.  He couldn't quite understand why this lack enthusiasm concerned him so.

Moving his eyes from Dr Carter, Jack studied the doorway.  From the time they had arrived at the mountain Jack had been expecting Kerry to appear around a corner. 

He was relieved when it was General Hammond who entered the room.

__________________________

"Sabotage?" Daniel replied to General Hammond's solemn pronouncement.

"We have been able to trace the problem to the new dialing program upgrades installed to the gate computer."

"But that upgrade was installed over a week ago.  Why did it take this long for the program to malfunction?"

"Someone purposely manipulated the program to sabotage after a specific sequence of dial outs."

"So remove the program from the dial out computer." Jack offered.

"We can't.  The malfunctioning program has acted like a virus to the system, replicating itself throughout dozens of sub-programs.  The problem is that the program has also been downloaded to all the gates that were dialed.  Even if we scrub the SGC's systems as soon as our off-world teams dial in the virus will be downloaded back into our system.  We need a way to not only remove the virus but also to protect the systems from further contamination. It could take weeks, if ever to do."

"Captain Steele doesn't have that time." Daniel reminded the others.

"The upgrades were designed by a research team out of the Pentagon.  I've sent Agent Johnson back to Washington to head the investigation from that end. "  Jack twirled the pen in his hand, silently thankful for the reprieve.  Hammond continued.

"Dr Carter, our scientists have told me your program may offer us an alternative."

Sam's face screwed in confusion. "General Hammond I am not sure how your scientists have had time to review my research?  I only just presented my findings this morning."

"Dr Carter, we have known about your theories for some time now."

A panic began to set into Sam's stomach.  The details of her work, years in development were closely guarded by her and her assistant.  How could the government have known this whole time?

"Do you mean to tell me I have been under investigation?  For how long and by whose authority?"

"Dr Carter, I am not authorized to discuss the details of our intel on your research with you at this time.  What is needed right now is your expertise in this area.  There are over thirty men and women who need your help to bring them home. While I cannot order you to assist, I am asking you to consider what is at stake and to make the right decision."

So, she thought, this was her worst nightmare. 

_____________________

"You need to eat."  A voice came from the doorway.

She wasn't sure how long she had been seated at the computer terminal.  The lab, a sterile, dull gray room lit by caustic fluorescents deaden the senses to the passage of time.  Looking up she found a tall figure moving towards her.  She had removed her glasses and could just make out the identity of the intruder. 

"I hear you have been here all night.  Why don't you take a break?"

"Is that an order Colonel O'Neill?" 

Okay, Jack thought, still bitter.  To say the good doctor was upset to discover she had been under investigation by the government for years was an under statement.  It didn't take long for the gossip of how a civilian scientist handed Hammond his head on a platter to make its way around the base.  It was Daniel who was finally able to calm her down enough to consider the more immediate crisis.  Later after Daniel showed her to the lab, Jack sat down with General Hammond.  Apparently Dr Samantha Carter had been on the radar for over a decade.  She was approached to join the service when younger but adamantly declined.  Despite her abhorrence of the military she had been on a short list of potential civilian consultants for the Stargate program.  The military even went so far to ensure she was awarded grants that would aid in the continuance of her research. 

"Nooo, but you won't be much good to us if you pass out from hunger and dehydration."

Turning away from him and standing Sam let out a disgusted huff.  Noticing the deep settled cramp in her back she placed her hands behind her, low on her back and stretched into a back bend. 

Tilting his head to the side Jack felt a disappointment as he watched her lithe body.  With her back to him he could only image how the front of her blouse was likely strained along her chest.  

"It looks like the other techs have called it a night."

"I sent them off."  She finally replied, turning once more to the terminal and taking her seat.

"You did?  Giving orders already Doctor?"

This made her turn to him with a harsh gleam in her eyes.

"They weren't helping.  Doctors Lee and Branson are stuck on this idea that we can assert a new programming in to the dialing computer using my model.  But there are too many sub-routines that need to be re-written.  While possible, it would simply take too much time.  No, the answer must be in finding a way to convert the original upgrade program.   What I can't figure out is why the system is discharging energy after engaging.  The virus was not written into the system that monitor's power levels.  If I could... "

"Ack!"  Jack cut her off, raising his hand. "Don't waste your energies on me.  Besides, I get hives if I listen to too much techno-babble."

"Then why are you here Colonel?"  It was a loaded question.  As far as Sam Carter could tell Jack O'Neill had no scientific expertise.

"I am here because there are 32 of my people stuck far from home and safety and while I may not be the one to find the solution to getting them back, I can at least make sure those who can are working at top efficiency.  It's what I do." he finished with a shrug.

"Well what you are doing right now is interrupting my train of thought which is of help to no one.  I'd appreciate it if you let me get back to it." 

This was going all wrong.  When the SF on duty told Jack that the doctor was hold up in the lab, by herself for hours, he had headed there with the intention of making sure she was okay.  It was the truth, this is what he does.  As a commanding officer one the most important duties you have is to ensure the safety of your people.  All the years he had worked with Daniel should have taught him.  A non-military type like Dr. Carter, especially one with a distinct distain for the military would not respond well to his I know what's best because I say so attitude.  Time had come to try some of his little used O'Neill charm.

"Listen, I'm not trying to get in your way here.  I just thought you could use a break. The commissary will have some coffee on, even at this hour.  May I suggest you head there and get something?  Maybe even get a few hours of sleep in one of the VIP rooms?"

She loathed to admit to him, but coffee and maybe a bite to eat sounded great.  It was just she knew that the young airmen posted outside the lab as babysitters would follow where ever she went.  Getting to the lavatory early was an unpleasant excursion.

Feeling the tightness in her back again, she twisted from side to side.  This time Jack got a glimpse of her cream colored lace bra as the front of her blouse loosened between its buttons.

"Fine." she replied, rising from her seat, "Lead the way."