Login

Had I not seen the Sun von squibalicous

Samantha Carter reached out the swat whatever it was that was causing the buzzing in her ears.  Her hands found nothing but air until she became aware of the tug at her wrists.  Tentatively she opened her eyes.  Momentarily thankful for the darkness of the room, since she instinctively knew any amount of light would cause her now thrumming headache to reach down and wretch what may be left in her stomach.

Closing her eyes, she gently breathed in through her nose, then exhaled.  Her entire body ached.  Cradling her head into her shoulder she became aware that her t-shirt smelled of ozone.

As the buzzing subsided she attempted to move her other body parts.  Despite the darkness she could feel that she as lying upon a cot.  The mattress underneath her was musty and damp.  She was on her side, her right leg hung off the edge.  Moving her left hand down her right arm she stopped when her hand connected with cold metal. Handcuffs.

Tracing the edge of the cuff to the attached chain her hand followed its length until she found where it connected the metal frame of the cot.  Bringing her hand back to the material of the cot, she gathered her strength and attempted to sit up.  Raising the angle of her head only slightly, she felt a wave of nausea overtake her.

Laying back down upon the cot she return to her breathing, struggling to allow the sickening feeling pass.

Seconds later she heard a snap of metal from across the room.  Cracking one eye open she watched as the corner was bathed in the dull, yellow light.  There was a shuffling of feet.  Keeping still with her eyes barely open she watched as two lumbering figures entered the room.  Something hung between them.  She watched the tall shadows make their way with their burden to the opposite wall were a second cot stood.  Depositing their burden on the cot she listened as metal scrapped and finally clicked.  The figures turned and she closed her eyes completely, willing herself limp.

Footsteps, then finally the groan of metal as the room was plunged once more into darkness.

She waited a minute, maybe more before once again bracing her hands, this time on the cool bar of the cot and sat up.  She listened.  To her own breath, to the sounds on the chains attached to the cot as she shifted herself back, leaning against the wall.

Finally, from across the room she heard a groan.  Suddenly eager, she leaned forward, getting her feet on the ground and crouching down. Testing the length of her bonds she moved slowly to the sound from the other cot.

"Hey."

Nothing.

"Hey, are you awake?"

Another groan.

"Just relax. " She encouraged. "Give it minute."

She waited, listening as the other occupant drew a breath back into consciousness.

"Can you talk?"

Finally an answer. "Oh, that hurts."

"Ya."

She could hear the links on the cot shift as her cellmate rolled over.

"What, where are we?"

"I was hoping you would tell me."

"Nah, no."

Sam sighed looking around, into the darkness. 

"Uhm, I'm Samantha."

No answer.

"Can you tell me who you are?"

As the moments of silence from across the room stretched on, Sam felt herself begin to shake.  Then, a reply,

"My name is Kerry.  Kerry Johnson."