Login

Prisoners of Fear von Wendy Gilliatt

[Reviews - 1]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Prisoners of Fear

Wendy Gilliatt

TITLE: Prisoners of Fear
AUTHOR: Wendy Gilliatt
EMAIL: x-philes@worldnet.att.net
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack, angst, adventure
SPOILERS: Prisoners, Need, minor for other episodes
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 3
Rating: MA
CONTENT WARNINGS: m/f, violence, language
SUMMARY: SG-1 gates to a planet where they are captured and forced to work as slaves.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was written for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s). Not to be archived without permission of the author(s).
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This idea was born after seeing Nemesis. My medical eye just couldn't dismiss the fact that Sam did not look good, and why Jack was very eager to see her leave base, one way or the other. Also I felt that something made him more eager than usual to spend off time with her. This story is my explanation as to what may have transpired prior to Nemesis to cause these actions. As always, feedback welcome, but not necessary. Hope you guys enjoy.

Jack O'Neill woke with a groan, deciding immediately that even that much noise was a mistake. He lay silently for a moment, gathering his thoughts, and trying to recall what had happened.

"Colonel O'Neill, are you well," Teal'c asked as he came to kneel by his friend.

"Head hurts, other than that I'm peachy. Where are the others?"

"They are here. DanielJackson and MajorCarter have not yet woken, but they are breathing without impairment. I believe they will wake soon. I do not believe the natives are as friendly as we first thought."

"Ya think," Jack asked as he levered himself to a sitting position, and began to look around. Teal'c wisely kept silent, understanding O'Neill's sarcasm as his self defense tactic.

"How long have we been here Teal'c? Any idea?"

"You have been unconscious for 4.5 additional hours. I am unsure as to how long I was affected before this time."

"So we can safely assume that 5-6 hours have passed and it is now dark. There is little light in here, and no noise to speak of. I think it is a fair assumption to say our friends have retired for the evening, we should have a few hours to plan before daylight."

Teal'c nodded a quiet affirmative as Jack began to prowl the small cell. The air was cool and damp, the walls, floor, and ceiling all rock. There was only one opening to the room, a heavy metal door, and no windows to even share the time of day. There where mattresses thrown on the floor in one corner, where his team-mates currently lay, and they offered little comfort or protection from the damp floor.

" Why are they still out I wonder," Jack asked himself as he knelt between his two friends.

"I believe it has to do with size O'Neill. They are much smaller than you or I. I believe DanielJackson should awake soon."

Jack blinked in amazement as Daniel groaned, his recovery timed near perfectly with the end of Teal'c's sentence.

"That's quiet a trick there big guy," Jack muttered as he turned to the archaeologist. "Easy Daniel, you may want to take it slow."

"Jack, where are we?"

"The native's version of the Ritz? Geez Daniel, I don't know."

Daniel sat up slowly, his hands on his face as he tried to think back to the last thing he remembered. Suddenly he looked up, snippets of the last conversation he heard filtering into his brain.

"They didn't want us to go back through the Stargate. They where afraid we would bring the Go'uald."

"I thought you had already said we were enemies of the Go'uald?"

"I did Jack. Obviously they didn't believe me."

"Well they aren't going to keep SG-1 for long, they don't know who they're messing with," Jack snorted. "We've been held in better places than this."

Daniel nodded his agreement silently as Jack turned to check on Sam.

"How is she," Daniel asked when he noticed that she wasn't responding to Jack.

"She's still pretty heavily under, pulse is very slow, but regular."

"I rememer where the gas came from, she was sitting closest to the source, she must have gotten a heavier dose."

"Yea, and as Teal'c already pointed out, she's smaller than any of us. We'll just have to watch her until she wakes," Jack spoke firmly as he settled in next to Sam.

******

Daniel crawled back to his mattress and curled up miserabley into a ball, he had just finished throwing up for the second time, and all he wanted was to sleep.

"You okay Daniel," Jack asked softly.

"Uggh," Daniel moaned in response. "Why aren't you sick?"

"Must be the size of the dose," Jack reasoned.

"Well, I hope Sam doesn't feel this bad," Daniel muttered as he feel asleep.

"Teal'c, see if you can get someone's attention for water or he's gonna be dehydrated by morning," Jack ordered as he turned his attention to the now moaning Samantha Carter.

"Hey Sam, take it easy. You've been out a long time."

"What happened sir," she asked as she tried to take stock of her surrondings. Jack brought her up to speed quickly as she pushed herself to a sitting position, he was dismayed to see her face go from pale to green.

"Oh man Carter, don't puke on my boots, these are my favorite," he muttered as he helped her to the corner hole that served as the facilities for the cell. He was trying to distract her with his irreverent words, but he knew it wouldn't work.

"Go away," she muttered as she braced herself in the corner, unable to bear the idea of Jack watching her vomit.

**********************************

It was several hours before the team was able to settle for the night, both Sam and Daniel having made many trips to the corner. Jack felt better now that both had been asleep for the last hour or so, apparently over the worst, but he knew that they would be weak in the morning. Teal'c had been unsuccessful in getting anyone's attention for water, and both were nearly dehydrated. Jack hoped that they could at least get some fluids into the two when morning came, or they would be starting out behind in any escape plans.

***************************************************

Morning came suddenly, the only transition being the unexpected opening of the cell door. Guards ordered them up, and out, in mere minutes. Jack kept his eyes open as he casually steadied his Major where she stood swaying.

"You okay," he asked softly.

"I've felt better, but I'm not sick anymore."

Jack nodded to her as they were escorted into a much bigger room. There were a large number of obvious prisoners being hussled through a chow line, and then out the other side of the room. SG-1 stuck close together within the group, and were soon given a bowl of slop and some water.

"Eat what your given," the guards ordered. "We have much work for you to do."

"We didn't come here to do your work," Jack snarled at him.

"We didn't ask you to come at all, but we aren't foolish enough to let you leave. You will spend the rest of your days tending our fields, we will not let you bring the evil ones here. Now move!"

Jack knew better then to continue this here and now, and so moved out with the rest of his team. They found a spot in the dirt and sat to eat. It wasn't much, but it's the best they would get for now. The four ate quickly, and Jack watched as Sam gulped down her water. Looking down at his water he drank some before handing the cup to Sam.

"Drink the rest of this Major," he ordered as he noticed Teal'c doing the same with Daniel.

"No sir," she muttered defiantly. "You need that."

"Normally yes, but today you and Daniel need the extra. You will follow my orders Major, we can not risk you not being able to follow through with an escape attempt should the opportunity present itself."

Sam took the glass slowly, but drank eagerly, as had Daniel. They both could have used more, but there was no time to try to reason with the guards as they were marched to the fields.



*****************************************

The day drug by slowly as the four were forced to work in the blazing heat of a foreign planet. Jack worried about his team-mates and was constantly on the alert for an opportunity to escape, but the day wore on with little in the way of hope. Jack and Teal'c continued to share their water with Sam and Daniel, hoping the little extra would help them regulate despite the heat. Tomorrow would be a different matter, and he and Teal'c would no longer be able to afford to lose the extra, or all four of them would be in trouble.

It was near the end of the work day that the team noticed a weakening of the guards defense perimeter, and it didn't take them long to go for the opportunity. Unfortunately it didn't take the guards long to notice, and they caught Daniel, still weak from his ordeal, quickly.

"Stop, or we will kill him!"

Jack, Sam, and Teal'c slid to a halt and were gathered by the guards. The four team-mates found themselves quickly in the middle of what was obviously the slave compound, and on their knees before the leader they had spoken to the night before.

"You must be taught a lesson Taur'i," he spit out. "Tie him!" The command was issued with a motion at Jack, and the rest found themselves under heavy guard and forced to watch helplessly. The punishment was started after a brief speech to the other prisoners, and SG-1 was forced to watch as Jack was whipped unmercifully. Sam tried to turn her eyes, but found her head held in place by one of the guards. Jack O'Neill gave them little satisfaction, barely offering a grunt, though it was obvious he was in agony, and the beating finally ended. SG-1 soon found themselves back in their cell, and Sam approached her Colonel quickly.

Jack was suprised to find that Sam had some limited medical supplies in the pockets of her field jacket, but he had never ben more grateful. She cleaned the cuts that had torn his back the best she could, and smeared them with the little bit of antibiotic cream she had in her pocket.

"Geez Sam," he hissed.

"Sorry sir," she muttered, but hopefully that will prevent infection.

"I'm fine Sam," he muttered, never liking to be the center of attention.

"Not fine, but better than you have a right to be. I always knew you had a thick hide."

"Hey, is that anyway to talk to your commanding officer, and whada ya mean I have a thick hide."

Sam giggled slightly before she answered seriously, "Your cuts could have been worse, your back should have been.."

"Yea, yea, I get it, " he interrupted. "Thanks for the cream Sam, it helps," he said seriously.

The team discussed their limited options before settling for the night. They all knew that it would be several days before the SGC would send a rescue party, and they had to watch out for each other until that time, or there would be nothing left to rescue.

*********

Jack shifted on his mattress slowly, trying to be as quiet as possible in the still of the night. He didn't want to disturb his team-mates over the pain he felt sure he should be able to master, besides they all needed the sleep.

"Sir, are you okay," Sam whispered softly.

"Yea, didn't mean to wake you," he whispered back.

"You didn't. ....... Ah, sir? I have some more Tylenol. It's not much, but if it would help."

"Thanks Sam, I think I will. Then you need to get some sleep."

Sam handed over the last of the Tylenol she had hidden away, the Colonel's simple acceptance of it telling her how much pain he was experiencing. She wished, not for the first time, that she had the rest of their first aid kit. She was afraid the Colonel would need more, and she had already used what meager supplies she could squirrel away in her pockets. Shaking her head again she watched as the Colonel settled back down, she had done as much as she could for him, and she needed to try and sleep. She hoped she could force the vision of the whipping to the recesses of her mind, she couldn't function if she allowed herself to dwell on the subject. It had nearly torn her apart to watch the whip fall on that beautiful back.

'Oh no girl,' she thought to herself. 'You simply can not go there. It isn't professional, it isn't helping, and it will only make you think about how badly you want this man.' Sam reigned in her thoughts with effort, and finally willed herself to relax and sleep, tomorrow would be another long day.

*********************

The next morning was a repeat of the day before, until they got to the fields. Once there the team was split and Daniel and Teal'c were led elsewhere to work, thereby weakening their defenses. The heat was rising early on, and all four knew it would be an unpleasant day.

Little conversation had been exchanged between Sam and Jack that morning, she had tried asking how he was, but he'd merely grunted in reply. Sam soon didn't have the energy to attempt further conversation. It was backbreaking work turning the rock filled soil, and the heat left her sweaty and limp. She was never more relieved when the work crews were pulled in that evening, and she eagerly looked forward to some water.

"Hi Sam," Daniel said as the team was reunited in the chow-line.

"Hi Daniel, you doing okay," she asked worriedly.

"Hot, but okay," he replied, pulling his sticky shirt away from his chest.

"I know what you mean," she slurred, "and these black t-shirts don't help."

"Oh God Sam! Your beet red," he declared, looking up for the first time due to the sound of her voice.

"Sunburn, Daniel. I'll live," she whispered quietly.

"Where's your hat?"

"I don't know. I must have lost it yesterday, don't worry about it Daniel," she said with finality .

***************************

The team was soon placed back in the dank cell, and Sam sank to the floor in the far corner. The walls were always a bit damp, and this felt good to her over-heated skin. She forced herself to tune in to what Daniel was telling them.

"It seems that this world uses it's criminals as slaves, which is what most of these people are. One man did tell me that he has, on occasion, seen stangers come and go. He had heard rumor that the stangers were travelers, and they never stayed long. He used to think they left as they had come, but was told that they fell the way of all the trouble slaves."

"And that would be what Daniel," Jack asked irritably.

"Not sure Jack. This guy has heard several rumors, but the one that made the most sense to me was execution. I'll try to find out more tomorrow."

"That's good Daniel, good start. We'll all keep our ears open. If anyone gets a chance to get out of here, even alone, take it. If you can't keep the team together at least you'd be able to bring back the calvary."

The team nodded to their orders, no one wanting to think about leaving the others, but it was a sensible plan.

***************************************

The days settled into a pattern, and the team was able to learn little else about their captors. They were kept mostly seperated now, and Jack was beginning to fear that they would be unable to escape together. He had never liked the thought of leaving his team behind, but they had begun to notice that their captors thought he and Sam were the safest of the four. Their guard was always lighter than Teal'c and Daniel's, and they finally decided it had to do with Sam, and maybe his beating.

It was midday of the sixth work day when Jack and Sam got the opportunity they had been waiting for, and opportunity Jack would later regret taking.

*****

Jack was amazed at how very quickly things could go wrong. He and Sam had been working hard when they first noticed the fight break out near their location. The guards had moved suddenly to subdue the commotion and that had left them unguarded. Sam didn't need to be told that this was their opportunity, and they had both taken off quickly but quietly. They didn't make it very far before Jack felt something wrap around his legs and he was brought crashing to the ground. He hadn't even been aware of the whips the guards obviously carried, and suddenly he was struck by how very little he knew about their captors. The words 'Know thine enemy' taunted him, but there was nothing he could do about it now.

Jack was shifting to catch a glimpse of Sam when he saw her fall nearby, and he knew that they had both failed. He felt the blow that sent him sliding into blackness before he saw it, and his last thought was the prayer that they didn't hurt Sam.

Jack came to in the center of the square that he had been beaten in that first night, and knew immediately that his prayers had not been answered. Sam hung, stripped to the waist, from the same bonds that had held him, and the prisoners had been gathered. Jack didn't need to hear the words Daniel whispered to know what was about to happen.

"They think it will mean more to us if they whip that most precious to all man, woman."

"Great, just freakin great. Can anything else go wrong?"

"Do not ask such questions O'Neill. You may not like the answers," Teal'c said as the whip cracked down on Sam for the first time.

The team was quiet, each flincing from the repetitive blows that landed upon her back. No one wanted to see this happen to a friend, but most especially not her . Finally the whip stopped its torture and the prisoners were forced back to the fields, Sam left hanging as an example to them all.

******************

SG-1 was never more grateful to be hearded back to the barracks that night, and they detoured immediately to get Sam. Jack and Teal'c had tried everything they knew to get to her earlier, but the guards would not be swayed. The only peace of mind they got was knowing that she would be united with them at dusk. Jack came to a halt just as the guards cut her last tie, and barely caught her as she slumped to the ground. Her moan was weak, and sounded pitiful to his ears, but at least it reassured him that she was alive. The guards gestured impatiently, and the two lifted her gently to return to their cell.

Teal'c helped Jack lay Sam gently onto her stomach as Daniel joined the rest of his team.

"Jack,....is she?"

"She's alive Daniel, but she's hurt. Did you manage to get any water."

"Yeah, actually, they don't want us with the rest of the prisoners. We are to be fed here, and the slave that does the serving whispered that he would bring extra for Sam."

"Good, let's hope he does," Jack murmured as he began to assess her condition.

Jack was relieved when the water actually arrived, and was very thankful that part of it was in a bowl with a cloth for washing. The cloth didn't look too clean, no more than a rag really, but it would be useful for helping to cool Sam. Jack had been dismayed to see the number the whip had done on her back, worse than his he was sure. Between the cuts, the sunburn, and the number of hours she had been hanging she was sure to feel awful when she woke.

*****

Jack knelt by Sam and began to gently clean the blood from her back, using the water to help cool her overheated body. Her skin was hot and dry, and he knew she bordered on heat stroke. When she woke they would need to work diligently to get water in her in small enough amounts as to not make her sick, but replenish her fluids. He wished that Sam had not used all the first-aid supplies on him as he was worried about infection in the wounds to her back, and the pain she was sure to feel.

Jack turned from the still unconscious form of his 2IC to regard the rest of his team, they were in trouble and he wasn't sure how long it would be until help arrived.

"Alright campers, what do we know now that we didn't know yesterday?"

"Tomorrow is the sacred day, no one works. The slaves will be held in their cells until day after tomorrrow to allow for prayer and meditation on the part of our captors. Water will be brought to us early, and we will be required to fast, as does the rest of the population."

"How did you learn all that Daniel?"

"I helped an older slave in the field today, he was willing to talk more freely."

"Did you get anything else?"

"Yes, well a little. It seems that the penal system on this planet was created out of fear. They fear that they will once more be forced into servitude of the gods. They rule anyone that they do not trust, or any strangers, with an iron hand so as to promote fear and disguise their own. A large number of these men are here simply because of curiosity about what lay beyond. The planet rulers would rather remain ignorant of anything they do not understand rather than learn to defend themselves. We embody all that they fear, thus they consider us safest as prisoners. If we become too much trouble they will simply kill us."

"Gee, nice people we have met here. They did that to Sam because they fear us, looks more like they hate us."

"Jack, we both know that some of the worst atrocities on earth were committed out of fear."

"Yea, your right Daniel, but knowing that isn't gonna help us much. The only thing that it tells us is if pushed, they are liable to become even more dangerous."

"The knowledge alone is power O'Neill. Know thine enemy."

"Gee, wonder where I've heard that before," he muttered sarcastically under his breath.

************************

Sam blinked slowly awake, pain being the first solid fact she could register. She could not bite back the moan that issued forth, and she wished solidly for blackness again.

"Sam, can you hear me," Jack asked as he leaned over her.

"Yea, keep it down, my head hurts," she muttered as she shut her eyes, and willed the darkness to take away the pain. She didn't want to embarrass herself and cry in front of her team-mates, but she didn't trust that she wouldn't as long as she felt like this.

"Sam, I know your hurting, but you need some water," Jack encouraged softly.

"Can't," she muttered, the very thought making her stomach roll.

Daniel, Teal'c and Jack sat surronding Sam as she lay on her mattress, not realizing the subconscious barrier they were erecting between their team-mate and the rest of the world. They were four against a planet, and they would look out for each other, and if any of their captors had seen them then, they would know there was much to fear.

******

Sam waited until the guys had moved to the other side of the cell to eat before reaching for her t-shirt. She didn't want to move, but she wasn't planning to lay stripped to the waist either. She struggled into the t-shirt, biting her lips against the pain, and trying to get her leaden arms to cooperate. She felt miserable, and humilitated, to have been stripped and beaten in front of her team-mates. This did nothing except to combine with her pain to make her feel even worse than she would have anyway. The pain rippled down her back in sharp waves, her arms felt as if they had twenty pound weights attached, and she was cold. It really didn't make sense considering how much heat radiated from her back, but that was the afteraffects of sunburn.

Sam wasn't aware of the groan of pain that slipped from her mouth as she reached for her jacket, at least not until Daniel got there.

"Sam, you okay," he asked. "Do you need something."

"NO! I'm fine, leave me alone," she muttered irritably as she slung her jacket on her shoulders. She hissed as just that much added weight settled, and that brought the Colonel over too.

"Sam, you okay. Can you drink some water?"

"I'm fine, you don't need to baby me, just leave me alone," she muttered, unable to bear the scrutiny of her team-mates.

"Wow, okay Sam. Don't bite, we'll give you space," O'Neill replied as he dragged Daniel to the otherside of the cell.

"Jack," Daniel protested, "she's hurt, she needs us."

"Yes Daniel, she is," Jack whispered,"but she needs some space right now. I think she's embarrassed."

Daniel just looked between the two before muttering, "I'll never understand the military mind."

"Daniel, I think it has just as much to do with being a woman," Jack whispered softly enough that Sam wouldn't hear.

*****************

Sam was never aware of having fallen back asleep, but she knew she must have. All was quiet in the cell when she awoke, and she decided to try and drink some more water. She was relieved that with everyone asleep there would be no one to watch her hands shake because of the muscle strain of hanging from them all day. She made her way slowly to the water bucket, exhausted all ready, before trying to lift the cup to her mouth.

Sam wanted to cry as she watched the water soak into her pant leg, none of it having reached her mouth. Her arms were simply too fatigued, and she couldn't hold the cup steady. This seemed to be the final straw, and it was everything she could do to bite back the sobs, and stop the silent tears. She had to have water, and she would have to ask for help, to not would be irresponsible, and a waste of resources.

Jack lay on his pallett, unsure as to how to approach his 2IC, and feeling decidedly guilty. He wished he had ordered her to save their resources after he was beat, at least then they would have something he could have used to try and make her feel better. As it was he watched her stuggle, having no idea how to get her to accept help, without adding to her misery. She needed water, and watching her spill it was his last straw, he could not allow her to suffer, she would never allow it for the rest of her team. Thus Jack rose and held the cup for her in a very matter of fact manner. He watched as she lowered her eyes, but proceeded to drink.

"Being hog-tied is the pitts huh," he muttered softly.

"Yeah," she replied, "But I'm not sure that is considered hog-tying."

"Doesn't matter, still the pitts. Got tied for that long once myself," Jack said, almost coversationally. "Thought I'd never use my arms again. Hadda have a buddy help dress me or I'da been sittin there naked ya know. Come ta think of it, that might not a been a bad idea, could have scared the enemy away."

"I don't think so sir," she replied in a monotone.

"Oh well..,"

"Sir, if you don't mind, I'm tired," she interrupted before he could say what was on his mind.

"Yea, Sam, get some rest. Oh, if it helps, we aren't working tomorrow, the native equivalent to Sunday or something," he said to her retreating back.

Jack watched Sam worriedly as she tried to find a comfortable position on her mattress. She was definately embarrassed, and he hoped she would find some peace with herself by morning, because her current mood, understandable as it was, was a liability. Team work suffered this way, and if she didn't snap out of it, he would have to make her angry enough to shove it out of the way to be dealt with later.

*******

Jack woke sometime during the night to the sound of a very quiet moan. It didn't take him long to identify the source as Sam as he looked around the cell. Daniel was sleeping soundly, and Teal'c was meditating in the corner. Sam, however, lay awake and hunched into herself on her mattress. He could see her shivering in the damp air, and knew that it did nothing but add to her pain. He was also beginning to worry about shock from being injured and essentially untreated. It was time that Sam accepted what little help her team-mates could offer, whether she liked it or not.

"Sam, you okay," Jack whispered as he lay a hand on her forehead.

"Yea, I'm okay."

"Liar," he responded as he moved his hand to her throat to check her pulse. "Your pulse is fast, let's get you warmed up and get you some more water. Whadda ya say?"

"Okay. I am cold,and thirsty."

"I know," Jack responded as he wrapped his jacket around her and went to get her some water.

"Thanks," she whispered after drinking the water. "I'm sorry I was such a bear earlier."

"Understandable Sam, but next time---- remember we're the good guys, okay."

"Okay," she grinned as another shiver wracked her frame.

"Still cold?"

"Not as bad, just tired."

"Try to sleep Sam," Jack whispered as he watched her curl up and lay back down.

*******************

Sam woke the next morning dismayed to discover that she felt almost worse than she had the evening before. She had hoped that a decent nights rest would help her knock the worst edge off the pain, but it had done nothing but cause her to stiffen. She sat up slowly, still wrapped in both jackets, and looked around the small cell. The rest of the team sat on the otherside of the small cell talking in hushed voices, obviously trying not to wake her with their conversation.

"Hi guys. Did I miss anything?"

"Not unless you have a thing for the guy that serves the meals," Daniel responded playfully.

"Nah, you can have him, but I'll take breakfast. I don't remember eating last night."

"You didn't eat," Jack responded, "but I'm afraid they aren't feeding us today. We do have some more water."

"Sure, okay," Sam replied, determined to continue smiling no matter what. She felt bad that she had growled so much at the guys the day before, but she hated for them to see her this way. Sam smiled at Daniel as she reached with a shaky hand for the water he held out to her. She was sure that her shakes had just as much to do with her injuries as the fact she hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours, at least that is what she would tell herself.

The day passed uneventfully as the team-mates discussed and dismissed multiple escape attempts. They simply did not have enough man power to make it work, which meant they would indeed have to wait for rescue from the SGC. Sam spent most of the day laying down and listening, or so she liked to think. In reality she slept most of the day, and Jack was becoming worried. It was near what the team assumed to be evening when Jack first noted the beads of sweat on her forehead and her restless tossing. Reaching out he brushed the hair off her forehead, and was dismayed to feel the heat that radiated off her skin in waves.

"Damn," he bit out harshly. "Daniel will you bring the water bowl and cloth, we've got to cool her down."

"What's the matter Jack," Daniel asked as he retrieved the requested items.

"Fever, and it feels pretty high."

Jack spent a few minutes using the water to cool her fever before turning her to check her back. He was dismayed to see that infection had already set in to the wounds on her back.

"This is just great. Now we're really gonna be split up tomorrow, I doubt she'll be able to work this way," Jack mumbled.

"She will have to O"Neill. These people are much like Jaffa, if she doesn't work they will execute her, and consider her a waste of resources."

******

Jack sat beside Sam as he continued to try and cool the fever that raged. She had not woken up at all since he had first noticed the fever, and this simply added one more item to his list of worries. His options were limited, and becoming more so by the hour. SG-1 had no hope of mounting their own assault and winning, and he was unsure when to expect rescue, or how they would make contact. He could only focus on one thing at a time now, and that one thing was Sam. He had to keep her alive, and if that meant forcing her to her feet in the morning, than that is what would have to be done. Jack knew that Sam was strong, and that she would do her best to carry on tomorrow. It would be up to the rest of them to cover for her where they could, and keep her upright until help arrived.

"How is she," Daniel asked as he poured more water into the bowl Jack had been using.

"Still asleep, but her fever has gone down some."

"Will she be okay tomorrow?"

"She has to Daniel. There is no other choice, and I'm not gonna lose her," Jack bit out, his tone leaving no room for argument.

Daniel nodded at Jack and made his way back to his mattress, there was nothing he could say that wouldn't strike as empty words. Daniel Jackson had no doubt as to how much Jack loved Sam, even if he couldn't admit that to himself, and he hated to see his friends hurting as they were now.

"Jack, you'll need to get some sleep tonight, so wake me in a little while and I'll take over."

"Sure Daniel," he responded distractedly, both knowing it was unlikely that he would follow his friends advice.

*********************************

Sam woke the next morning with a moan as the pain in her back registered before her eyes could even open. She felt lousy, her back ached, her head hurt, and she felt chilled in the damp air, but it all took a backseat to the urgency she heard in the Colonel's voice.

"Major Carter," he whispered tersely, "wake up!"

"Hmm, whaa," she mumbled, trying to force words past the cotton in her mouth, she was so thirsty.

"The guards are making their way down the hall. You've got to get up now Major."

It was the repeated use of her title, and the tone, that finally got Sam's full attention, and she pulled herself painfully to a sitting position.

"Work day," she asked, swallowing thickly to bring moisture to her dry mouth.

"Yes, I don't think we can call in sick Sam," he joked as he gave her what little bit of water they had remaining. Jack felt his guilt soar again as he watched her drink greedily from the near empty scoop. "Sorry Sam, we don't have any more, but we'll get you more at breakfast. Do you think you can stand?"

"Yes sir. I'll make it," she answered forcefully, as much to convince herself as to convince the Colonel.

Sam pulled herself to her feet with considerable effort, and the support of Daniel and the Colonel. She swallowed against a sudden wave of nausea as she stood swaying between the two.

"You gonna make it Sam," Daniel asked worriedly as he watched his friend sway.

"Yea," she responded before the door opened revealing the guards, and the serving slave.

"You have 15 minutes to eat before you are taken to the fields," the guard ordered as the food was placed on the floor by the door.

Sam sat back down slowly as she attempted to eat some of what she was given, but concentrating mainly on the water. She knew the fever that she was running, combined with her injuries, and sun exposure had finally fully dehydrated her. This left her feeling even worse than the pain and fever alone would have caused, and left her with little in the way of reserves. Sam did not need to voice the freverent hope they all shared, the hope that help would arrive soon, before they were in even worse shape.

The teams 15 minutes passed rapidly and the four soon found themselves hustled to the fields, and their work. Jack made it a point to stick very close to Sam's side that day, and by late afternoon he found himself catching her more than once as she nearly succumbed to exhaustion and illness. They were fortunate that the guards had yet to notice, but Jack knew that it was merely a matter of time.

"Hang in there Sam. I'm sure the SGC has already sent reinforcements, they simply have to get to us now."

"Yes sir. I'm fine sir," she lied, again as much to herself as him.

Sam was never so glad to be lead into a dismal cell as she was that night. It wasn't home, but at least she would be allowed to lay down, before she fell down and disgraced herself in front of the men. Sam knew that she had done fairly well at faking a level of health she was far from feeling. She knew her team-mates were aware that she was ill, but she also knew that even they didn't realize how bad she really felt, how scared she was beginning to become. That fear was not something she could allow herself to admit to, not to them or anyone else in this man's military. Oh, she knew that men became frightened, that wasn't the problem, they would just never admit to the fear.

Jack watched as Sam Carter curled up on the mattress, once again amazed at her strength. He knew she was dangerously ill, but anyone watching her today would never have guessed. Hell she almost had him fooled, and he had sat up with her during the night. Jack grinned briefly, an expression that looked out of place, as he reflected on the look of shock that had covered the guards faces that morning in the field. They had obviously underestimated one Major Samantha Carter USAF, and he had enjoyed watching the surprise roll across their faces. Now if only support would arrive before the pleasure belonged to their captors.

*****

Jack was immensely worried as he and the rest of SG-1 were hustled to the fields the morning of the ninth day. Help would have to arrive that day or Sam would be in imminent danger, even now he wasn't sure how she was remaining upright, and the guards had begun to notice. Sam had spent much of the night throwing up because of the infection that raged nearly out of control, and she was dehydrated and feverish. She followed her team into the fields on automatic rather than conscious thought, and soon her strength would fail completely.

Sam wasn't aware that she was the center of anyone's thoughts at that moment, in fact, she wasn't aware of much. The simplest of movements seemed to require monumental effort and thought, and she wanted nothing more than to curl up and rest. It was for these reasons that she was unable to process the sudden commotion that occured nearby, and was surprised at the Colonel's sudden shout of triumph. She was vaguely aware of being spoken to before she found herself hoisted rather unceremoniously over the Colonel's shoulder as he took off at a rapid run.

"Hang on Sam," he called out in what he hoped would be a reassuring tone," it won't be long now."

The only answer Jack recieved came in the form of a moan and the retching sounds of her now dry heaves. He knew that once the SG teams got to a safety point that they could make her more comfortable for the trip back to the Stargate, but his heart still bled over her misery.

It took them nearly two hours to cover the ground to relative safety, and Jack O'Neill could feel the events of the past week beginning to catch up with him. Major Scott of SG-4 had offered to take Sam, but he had been unwilling to hand her over until they were ready to let her complete the trip on a litter. He tried to tell himself it was his responsibility to deliver his team, but somewhere inside he knew that it was more than that. The four SG teams finally came to a stop in a defensible clearing, SG-3 and 9 guarding the perimeter while members of SG-4 pulled out a litter and a medical field bag.

"Her back is in terrible shape," Jack said in way of explanation as he lay her gentley on her stomach upon the litter, "and she's dehydrated and feverish. Her back is terribly infected, we need to get her to Dr. Frasier as soon as possible."

"We will Colonel O'Neill," Major Scott replied, "but first let us get an IV going so we can at least give her some fluids. The rest will be up to the Doc, and we'll travel straight through if you guy's are up to it."

"Damn straight we're up to it. Sam got the worst of this one, and none of us will stand between her and the infirmary."



*******************************

Jack O'Neill woke suddenly and was slightly reassured by the familiar sounds of the infirmary. He lay quietly for a moment, processing the events of the last 36 hours. Rescue had come, and he remembered his surprise to learn they were a days travel from the Stargate. They had all pushed hard to cover the ground and get Sam back to the infirmary as her condition continued to deteriorate. Jack had recalled hearing the words 'septic shock' before everything caught up with him, and he remembered being pushed towards a bed by one of the nurses. Events after that were a blur, and Jack realized that he had lost his battle against fatigue before he knew what had happened to Sam.

"Ah your awake," Janet Frasier remarked as she approached his bedside to check on him. "How are you feeling."

"Fine, fine," he responded impatiently. " How's Sam, she's the one that was sick."

"She's resting, and you were sick too. Don't give me that surprised look, you had to have known those whip cuts on your back were infected."

"Not bad, now how is Sam?"

"She'll be okay. She was in severe septic shock when you got her here. It was close for awhile, but she'll make a full recovery. She will need time, as you all will, but we'll discuss that later. She isn't awake yet so I suggest you get some more sleep so you don't scare her when she wakes up. Before you ask, no, you can't see her until she wakes up."

Jack closed the lips that had opened prepared to ask that last question, and humphed to himself before muttering, "You're getting to good at that."

"Nah, you've just spent so much time in here you're becoming predictable. Now rest, I'll need help with Sam when she wakes up, and I have a feeling you'll be the person to give it to me."

"Help," he muttered.

"This one was hard on her Jack," she replied softly, "and it won't be without repurcussions."

Jack nodded as once again the picture of that horrible beating popped unbidden to mind. This one had been hard on them all, most especially Sam, and he knew that he would stop at nothing to give her back that sense of safety.

*******

Sam woke quickly, confusion clouding her awareness and causing her panic. She could not place her location or what had happened to her. The last thing she remembered was being thrown over a shoulder, she had thought it was Jack's, but if so, where was he. Nothing made sense to her, and she was overcome by the desire to hide. Pulling at the various attachments Sam struggled her way off the bed, but only made it a few steps before dizziness sent her crashing to the ground.

Janet was on her way out of a back room when she heard a thud from the direction of the infirmary beds. She made her way in that direction quickly only to find Sam on the floor several feet from her bed, blood oozing from the wounds on her back and her IV site.

"Damn," Janet cursed as she hit the call button on Sam's bed before kneeling by her friend. "Sam, can you hear me. It's Janet."

"Please let me go," Sam moaned as she began to struggle. "Please don't hurt me."

"Sam, shhh, it's alright. Listen to me, your back at the SGC. Sam it's Janet, I'm not going to hurt you."

"Janet," she whispered softly.

"Yes, Janet."

"Oh God. I didn't know where I was, nobody was around. Janet please help me, I hurt," Sam whimpered. Janet knew that she still wasn't fully coherent or she would never dream of asking for help, or admitting to pain. It broke her heart to see her best friend in so much pain, both physically and emotionally, and she knew that her medical science would only treat part of the problem, it would be up to all of SG-1 to help with the rest.

Janet suddenly sensed a prescence other than the orderlies that were hurriedly trying to change the bed, and looked up to find Teal'c kneeling by his team-mate.

"Allow me Dr. Frasier," he said solemnly, before lifting Sam gently in his arms.

******************

Janet Frasier leaned back and rubbed her eyes wearily. It had taken some time to fix Sam up after her fall in the infirmary, and even more time to ream the nurse who had disobeyed orders and left her unattended. Janet had been afraid she would wake confused, and had wanted someone with her at all times, a job that had now been taken over by Daniel and Teal'c. There was simply no way that the rest of SG-1 would leave her alone after what had happened, and no way that Janet could make them.

Jack had replaced Daniel at Sam's bedside when next she woke, a fact that did not please Frasier, but Jack really didn't care.

"Sam," Jack said immediately upon seeing her eyes open, "you're safe, you're at the SGC."

"Colonel," she whispered, "What happened?"

"The calvary came riding in, do you remember?"

"Not really. I guess I really blew this one huh."

"What do you mean? Nothing that happened on that planet was anyones fault. You did a remarkable job."

"A remarkable job of what," she muttered, "getting carried. I didn't even get rescued under my own steam."

"Major, you were beaten and sick. What do you expect?"

"So were you Colonel, but you never let on. Look sir, I'm sorry, but I'm really tired if you don't mind."

"Sure Sam, get some sleep."

***********************************

Two weeks past quickly and SG-1 found themselves returned to active duty. Sam was glad to work, and take her mind off of things. Sg-1 had been around so much when she went home, bringing her food and movies, and it had taken some convincing on her part to get time alone. Alone, it was the way she felt the most comfortable these days, no one to let down. Sam was convinced that the Colonel saw her as a liability now, and nothing anyone said could change that fact in her mind.

Sam knew that they beat her because she was a woman, that made her an achilles heel for the team. The Colonel didn't tend to like to repeat mistakes, and she was sure that he now saw her as one. She wouldn't have gotten so sick if she wasn't the 'weakest' of the group, afterall the Colonel didn't, and he was beaten. It never seemed to register to her that her wounds went untreated while his did not, or that the team had shown her nothing but support. These facts when unnoticed in her worry, and ultimately led to the confusion that might seperate SG-1, forever.

******

Col. Jack O'Neill slammed the folder closed with a violent growl of frustration. This was the last thing that SG-1 needed right now, and he didn't have the option of refusing the assignment. Jack had really been hoping for a good mission that he and the team could sink their teeth into, without getting killed or maimed. They needed that time, not only to get back in the swing of things, but to show Sam in actions that she was a valued member of the team. He hated to see her this way, and hated that so called modern society still forced active women into this stance. Sam should be able to function without always being on guard, all women should, but they weren't. The average women in a predominately male field still believed they had something to prove, and still believed that illness and injury showed them as weak. It hadn't helped that Jack had spent time in the infrimary also, or that she had been treated much worse than he had. Sam could only see that she had succumbed while Jack had not, and that they had beat her because she was female. She now believed she was a liability, a fact that she would only see as confirmed when he reguested she be left off this next mission.

The reports from SG-11 had been clear, this planet saw women as property, and bartered with them accordingly. SG-1 was being sent to secure mining rights, and they could not afford for the planets populace to assume Carter was the payment. No, she would have to be left behind, and he only hoped Sam's logic would overrule an emotional response.

**********************

Sam sat on her bunk with her knees pulled to her chest, and her chin resting comfortably there. She didn't have long before she would need to head for the briefing room, but she wanted just a few more minutes of silence. She knew her thoughts were beginning to clear, and for the first time she was allowing herself to believe things would be alright. Deep down she was sure that she had more than earned her teams respect, and that it would take more than these past events to destroy that respect. In the still and quiet moments when she could think, verses feel and react, she could see the logic, she just hoped this next mission would help her feel it again.

***********************

It was nothing short of disastrous timing that had Sam approach the briefing room in time to hear the General's final words, words that hung alone and out of context in the sudden silence of her shattered world.

"I agree Colonel that Major Carter could be a liabiltiy to the missions goal, I'll have her temporarily reassigned to SG-9."

Sam never heard any other words as she forced herself to enter the room and hear her orders. Orders that placed her with a team of strangers that departed within the hour, just enough time to be briefed by the team commander Colonel Clark. Major Sam Carter carried herself with dignity as she exited the room, never allowing anyone to guess at the pain within, she really had failed.

Jack had wanted time to explain, but now hoped that the explanation, when it came, would not be to late.

************************

SG-1 gated back to the SGC several days later secure in the knowledge that they had achieved their goal. Mining rights were finalized, and there had been no problems, none on their end anyway. Obviously that wasn't the case here, as the gateroom looked as if it held the remants of a warzone, and indeed it did.

"Welcome Home SG-1," the General said in way of greeting.

"Thank You sir. Ah, sir, what happened," Jack asked as he surveyed the tatters of bloody uniforms on the floor.

"SG-10 ran into some problems, SG teams 9,8,and 3 went to help out. There were thankfully no casualties, but a hell of a lot of injuries. We just finished clearing the gateroom, and Frasier assured she would report as soon as possible. Let us take this to the briefing room. We will debrief while we wait for the Doctor."

"Yes sir," Jack responded automatically before another thought intruded. "Sir, was Sam?"

"Major Carter was with team 9, I don't know how severely she was injured."

"God Sam, not again," Daniel said as he sank into a chair beside Jack.

It was several hours before Frasier entered the briefing room with her report. SG-1 had been long finished with the debriefing, but all remained waiting for a report from the infirmary.

"Well Dr.," Hammond demanded as she sank wearily into a chair.

"Everyone will make it General, but I'm afraid I may have to transfer several to the base hospital. There are too many injured for my staff to keep up with on base."

"I don't like doing that Dr. It is much too big a security risk. Are there any other options?"

"There are some that could be allowed home if there are people able to take care of them. I knew you would ask so I had Dr. Vaught make a list, I went back and have crossed out those that don't have family that can care for them."

"So these are all minor injuries?" Hammond asked.

"No sir, the only minor injury was Ritter, and he has already been discharged. These are all those that could go home on bedrest, I.V. antibiotics and close care, things that can be done outpatient with motivated care givers. It isn't the best option, but civilian hospitals do it all the time. I will assign one nurse to do home visits."

"Well than Dr., let's go with that plan. I prefer not to transfer," Hammond ordered as he passed the list to Jack.

"Doc," Jack called out. "Sam was on this list, but you marked her out."

"Sam doesn't have family here," Frasier responded.

"Yes she does, we are her family," O'Neill responded, Daniel and Teal'c nodding enthusiastically behind him. "And it is time we proved it to her."

"Well Dr., looks like you have one more on the home-bound list," Hammond said softly as he watched SG-1 file out of the room. "Is this going to help or hurt?" Hammond asked, not blind to the problems his premier team had had after their last disastrous mission.

"I hope it helps sir, but only time will tell."

********

Sam was forced awake by the near constant activity of the infirmary. She grimaced as she shifted uncomfortably and wished, not for the first time, for some relief from the pain. Sam understood she was not as ill as many of the others, but it did not help the pain as it radiated up her left side and her ribs on the right. Sam grit her teeth as she tried again to find a comfortable position, she knew Janet would check on her soon, she could wait til then. She tried to distract herself by scanning the room for Ritter. She wanted to know that he was alright, he had been so close to stepping on that mine before she had tackled him. She just wasn't sure she had gotten him far enough away, that she had had the strength to launch him to safety. Perhaps that was another reason she was a liability to Colonel O'Neill, she wasn't physically stong enough to function like a man. Sam forced those thoughts aside as she noticed Janet approach through the mirad of injured.

"Sam your awake, how do you feel," Janet asked as she began to check her friends vitals.

"It hurts alot Janet. What's the list, and how is Ritter?"

"Ritter is fine," her friend reassured. "He walked away with some minor scratches, which is more than I can say for you."

"How bad?"

"Bad enough to hurt like heck. You broke three ribs on the right when you landed. Your left thigh, hip, and side caught the brunt of the flying debris. I've got you on antibiotics, the last thing you need is another infection. There was some damage to the muscles in your thigh and hip, but it will heal with time. All in all you were one of the lucky ones. We have alot of injured people in here."

"Will you be transferring to the base hospital?"

"You know how the general feels about that. No, we are going to send as many home with friends and family as we can. I'm going to assign a couple of nurses to home duty for the duration. We are starting teaching and discharging already."

"Oh," Sam said a hollow emptiness echoing in her voice. She hated being confined, but her lack of family almost assured she would be. " I guess that makes sense."

"Sam, don't sound so upset. The rest of SG-1 are getting the discharge instructions now."

"What," Sam asked confused. "I'm not on SG-1 anymore. Why would they take me home."

"Sam, you have always been on SG-1, that hasn't changed."

"That's right Major," Jack O'Neill said from the foot of her bed. "I just couldn't risk that last planet full of people thinking you were a mining payment."

"Huh?" Sam muttered, confused at the Colonel's words.

"I'll explain when you feel better. I heard about what you did for Ritter, outstanding job as always Carter. Now as soon as the Doc gets back with your pain meds lets get you out of here."

The next several hours passed in a whirlwind of activity, and not just a little pain for Sam. The trip to O'Neill's jeep, and the ride home had been painful, but it had been touching also. Daniel had put down the back seat, and built a bed that bordered on being a nest so that Sam could lie down comfortably on the way to Jacks. They had chosen the Colonel's house due to it's size and proximity to base, and Sam soon found herself being carried to bed by the man himself.

Jack settled Sam gently on the bed in his spare bedroom. She was only half awake and Jack knew, if he was gentle enough, the pain meds she had been given would send her back to sleep for awhile longer. He tucked her in securely before lifting the I.V. and hanging it from a hook in the wall. Once settled Jack left the room to organize the supplies Janet had sent. The bags of I.V. antibiotics were put safely in the refrigerator, and most of the rest were stored in the bathroom nearest the spare bedroom. Once all was said and done Jack was left with time to think, and that was something he didn't want. Jack hoped Daniel and Teal'c would get back from the store soon so they could decide how to best deal with Sam.

It was inconcievable to Jack that a woman, err soldier, of Sam's caliber could think herself a liability. He was determined that during her recooperation she learn how much they respected her, and relied on her, how vital she was to SG-1. It was Jack's personal hope to show her just how much she meant to Jack the man, not Jack the Colonel, and show her he would.

*******

Sam woke slowly and blinked into focus the surrondings of Colonel O'Neill's guest room. There was a little light spilling in from the hall, but mostly the room stood in shadows and cast the mood for her dismal thoughts. The past month had been a nightmare for her, and she longed for the rising sun to banish the darkness of those days. She had accomplished one thing as a soldier in the past 30 days and the rest of the time had been spent ill or injured. Sam knew she was bordering on breaking Daniel's record for time spent on medical stand-down, another sign to her that she had lost control.

Sam humphed to herself as she shifted stiffly on the bed, pain flairing up immediately. She wasn't sure what time it was, or how much time it had been since she had had something for pain, but that need took a backseat to finding the bathroom. Setting her teeth against the pain, Sam forced herself into a sitting position. She wasn't very confidant of her ability to get there, let alone back, but she wasn't sure how to summon help. There was no call-bell on this bed, and no bodies slumped nearby as in the infirmary, so she would go it alone. Alone, trapped inside her self made prison, and no longer sure how to get out. Alone, and no longer sure she wouldn't stay that way.

Alone

**********

Sam stood leaning against the wall as she waited for the room to settle down around her, and then slowly reached for her I.V. bag as she inched herself along the wall. Pain radiated outward from her injuries and seemed to take over her body, as she stood panting just outside the bathroom door. She was amazed that she had made it this far, and wished the bedroom didn't suddenly seem so far away. The hall was beginning to tilt and Sam felt herself sink to the floor. Her weight settled on her left hip and the pain exploded out of control. She felt the sweat pop out on her forehead as she fought the sudden rise of nausea, and she wanted to call for help, but was afraid to open her mouth.

Jack entered the house in a huff, followed by Daniel and Teal'c. He couldn't believe the events of the last two hours, and frankly didn't want to believe them. Daniel and Teal'c had been followed home from the store by two police officers, who suspected them of a robbery recently committed, and it had taken the men forever to convince the officers of their innocence. Jack suspected part of the stubborness was born out of suspicion since Teal'c had been unable to remove his hat. Apparently one of the suspects had a tattoo on the back of his head. Finally Jack's military I.D had convinced the officers they were on the up and up and the three had been allowed to finish unloading the groceries.

"I'd better check on Sam," Jack called out, "I hope we didn't leave her alone too long."

Jack entered the back hall and gasped when he saw Sam on the floor, she was covered with perspiration and fighting to stay conscious.

"Daniel, I need some help," Jack called as he slowly started to pick Sam up out of the floor.

"Ohh, It hurts sir."

"I know Sam, I'm sorry I got held up outside, I won't leave you alone again," he crooned as he lay her gently on the bed.

"I'll get her something for pain," Daniel said as he took in the scene before him.

"Sam, I need to check your dressing," Jack said softly.

Sam nodded once, not trusting herself to speak, as Jack began to check the dressing.

"Oh Sam," He moaned to himself, causing her eyes to flutter open. "This dressing doesn't look so hot. It's going to need to be changed. Janet needs to see this and make sure you haven't hurt yourself further."

"Sir, I don't feel like going back to the mountain. It hurts too much."

"I'll get Janet to come here," he soothed, knowing how much an admission like that cost her. "It's gonna' be okay Sam. Here is Daniel with your medicine, and he'll stay with you while I call Janet."

Jack returned quickly to see that Sam was tossing fitfully despite Daniel's presence.

"Daniel, I'll take over. Will you help Teal'c and watch for Janet, she's on her way?"

"Sure, Jack. Shout if you need us."

Jack sat in the chair beside her bed and reached to smooth the hair out of her eyes, somewhat dismayed that she felt warm to the touch. Shaking his head he went to wet a washcloth and used it to sooth the hot brow, this helped to settle her, and soon she drifted to sleep. Jack never moved, choosing instead to remain by her side, where he held her hand and continued to smooth the hair from her forehead. It broke his heart to see her so ill, and he made a vow to himself as he stroked her forehead. The next chance they got at some down-time, when they weren't in the infirmary, he wanted to see her laugh and smile. He wanted to call her Sam, and have her call him Jack. He wanted to bend the regulations, twist them just enough.

"Soon Sam," he promised them both, "soon, but first we'll fix SG-1, the rest will come naturally."

"Soon what Jack," Sam slurred sleepily, the pain meds fully in control as she smiled at him. He never had a chance to answer as Janet Frasier swept into the room.

Soon, he promised himself as he shut the door gently behind him as he left the Dr. to her job. Soon!

******

Jack moved softly beside Sam's bedside, his special ops silence training coming in handy while he practiced nursing. He hated to wake Sam now that she slept soundly, she hadn't had a very good night. Janet had come yesterday evening and cleaned the wound and changed the dressing. She had been worried about early signs of infection, but felt the antibiotics should take care of things. There had been debate about moving Sam back to the infirmary due to the amount of pain and potential for infection, but Jack argued firmly against that move. In the end he had won, and he was glad. He wanted her close so that he could see for himself that she was okay, and begin to heal the rift in SG-1. He hung the antibiotic bag up, and began to follow Janet's instructions on hooking it up, when he noticed Sam's eyes on him.

"Why are you doing this sir?"

"Docs orders Sam."

"Not that," she said softly. "This," she mumbled her hand sweeping to cover the room.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I guess, I mean I thought....."

"You thought I wanted you off SG-1. Major, ahh Sam, nothing could be further from the truth. You are one of the best I have ever served with, certainly the smartest, and you are my friend. Why would I want to change that," he asked as he sat down beside her.

"I .... But you had the...," her voice died away again.

"You thought I was having you reassigned due to the last mission?"

Sam nodded and glanced down to where her hands twisted the blanket.

"Ah, for crying out loud Carter, that wasn't it at all. We where negotiating on your favorite kind of planet. You know the ones, women are proberty and we'll take the blond-haired, blue-eyed Major as payment. I wasn't going to risk you like that."

"Oh," she said, her voive small and high.

"Yes oh! Sam you must know by know how valuable a member of SG-1 you are. There is nothing about the past month that changes that. We all have gotten hurt, and we all have our moments, but we look after each other. Yes, they singled you out because you are a woman. They could have just as easily singled out geeks, and Daniel would be in the hot seat. It doesn't change your ability to do your job. I do believe you pointed that out the first time we meet. Yes, you got sicker than I did, but we really don't need to talk about that again. We've been there, just know how proud we all are that you had the strength to hang in there. It took courage and strength, we know it if you don't."

"Jack's right Sam," Daniel spoke from the doorway, Teal'c nodding his agreement from behind Daniel's shoulder.

"Thanks guys," she responded softly, "I guess I really needed to hear that."

"You'd have heard it sooner Sam if you hadn't started to avoid us all," Daniel said good naturedly.

Sam had the grace to look embarrassed as she looked down and began to smooth the blanket she had been twisting. "I think I scared myself," she began softly. "I grew up a military brat, which is nothing you didn't know, and I always watched dad and Mark being so tough. Never let them see you hurt. When Mom died, I think we all hid from our own feelings with the excuse of being tough. I guess I still do."

Jack knew that the team was well on the way to getting back to normal, and now was time to lighten the mood.

"Well now that all that's settled what say we have an SG-1 movie day. Sam we can get you settled comfortably on the couch while Daniel and Teal'c rent every movie they can find."

"Would not every movie take us more than a day to watch O'Neill," Teal'c asked seriously.

"Well not every movie Teal'c," Jack responded as Sam giggled in the background. "Ah,ah,ah, Major. What have I said about giggling," he asked, the smile giving him away.

"C'mon Teal'c, we'd better get a move on, " Daniel said as he steered his friend from the room.

"Don't forget the chick flicks Daniel," Sam called after him. Daniel couldn't help but smile as he heard Jacks "For crying out loud" follow him down the hall.

***********************

Sam had never felt so special as Jack set about preparing the couch, taking extra pains to make sure she had enough pillows to positon her comfortably. When he was satisfied that the couch was ready he returned to lift her ever so gently in his arms.

"Thank you sir," Sam said softly as he headed towards the den.

"Jack."

"What," she asked confused.

"I would like it if you called me Jack when we aren't on base," he responded matter of factly as he settled her comfortably on the couch. They didn't exchange another word as he worked to help her get comfortable, and erase the grimace of pain that crossed her face as he had released her.

"I think I would like that.....Jack," she said softly when she was comfortable again.

"Good," he said as he reached to brush the hair from her forehead, the movement more of a caress than anything. "I would feel funny asking to kiss you if you you're still calling me sir."

"Would you," she asked softly.

"Feel funny about that, yea!"

"No, would you kiss me?"

"If you'll let me."

Sam nodded mutely as Jack leaned forward to seal their lips in a kiss. It was soft and gentle, and told her more about his feelings than words alone ever could.

"Sam, we have alot to talk about, this could affect alot. I know we'll need to take it slow, but I just want you to know, I hope we'll get to a point where neither one of us are ever alone again. Can we work on it?"

"Oh yes Jack," she said softly. "I hate being alone."

Sam and Jack both knew that the words meant more than they said, and the next gentle kiss confimed it for them both. Jack knew he wanted to say and do more, but it would have to wait. Sam needed to recover, and Daniel and Teal'c were pulling in the driveway. Sam looked disappointed as Jack pulled away before deepening the kiss.

"We'll have time Sam. I promise. 'Never alone' Sam, it means everything we need it to."

"Jack, I ..."

"Soon, Sam, soon, it will be worth the wait."



If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Wendy Gilliatt