Login

God Is My Judge von LE McMurray

[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Author's Notes:- Thanks to Stonedtoad for betaing.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed I'm so glad you liked the first chapter.

*********************************************

"Cassie, will you please move," Jack yelled up the stairs at the teenager before turning back to her mother, "So Doc, looking forward to this conference?"

Janet rolled her eyes at him, "Like I look forward to having to give you your yearly medical evaluation."

Jack laughed, "Bad. Well if you want you could blow it off, join me and Cassie on our road trip?"

"It's tempting," Janet told him, "But unfortunately I'm speaking so I have to be there."

Jack patted her on the shoulder before checking his watch again, "Cassie," he yelled once more up the stairs, "I want to miss rush hour not get caught in it."

"Geez Jack," Cassie appeared rolling her eyes, "I was just making sure I had everything."

"So where exactly are you going?" Janet asked Jack.

"I'm thinking of going to visit one of Sara's nephews," Jack replied, "I haven't seen him in a while and we were pretty close. He used to be a resident of Sunnydale."

"The place in California that `disappeared'?" Janet asked surprised.

"That's the one," Jack grinned.

"Maybe he'll be able to shed some light on it," Janet laughed before turning to her daughter, "Listen to him, and make sure you both eat properly. And have fun."

-

Jack glanced over to where Cassie sat engrossed in a book. When this leave had come Jack decided he needed to get away from everything for a while. The letter he'd received from his...well Sara's nephew was the excuse he needed to get out of Colorado for a while. When Janet had told him she was heading for a conference he'd decided to bring Cassie along for company as well as he hadn't been able to spend much time with her lately.

After the complete destruction of Abydos several months ago Jack had fallen into a depression. He'd not only lost Skaara but it looked like Daniel was gone for good this time and Jack wasn't sure he could accept that.

"Hungry?" Jack asked his companion.

Cassie glanced up at him and grinned, "Only if you're buying."

Jack laughed, "This time kid."

------------------------------------------------------------

"I hate snake-demons," Buffy grimaced as they walked the streets trying to find their target, "Why is this thing here again?"

Daniel shrugged, "From what information I found Rathz comes out of hibernation to feed every twenty years. He seeks a Queen," Daniel paused grimacing as he remembered the information he'd discovered.

"A Queen?" Buffy asked.

"Okay," Xander interrupted, "I just know this is going to be icky."

"Icky?" Sha're asked confused from Xander's side.

"Extremely disgusting," Willow translated.

"This Queen is impregnated and..." Daniel wrinkled his nose in disgust, "Rathz eats the children before eating his Queen and returning to his hibernation for another twenty years."

"Very icky," Sha're agreed with Xander who laughed.

"Xander, could you refrain from completely corrupting Sha're," Willow frowned at her friend.

"I am merely introducing her to the colourful idiosyncrasies that fills our language," Xander grinned, especially at the looks he was being given by the girls.

"It's the eye patch," Buffy rolled her eyes, "Lets in all sorts of strange things."

"Guys," Daniel interrupted them, "I think we found it."

-

Sha're hefted her axe as Rathz turned to her after it had tossed the others aside.

"Yesssss," he hissed his eyes roaming her body, "You would be perfect to be my Queen-ssssssssssssssss."

Sha're froze at those words the axe dropping uselessly from her hands as the demon bore down on her.

"Sha're!!" Daniel yelled trying to get up as she didn't move.

"My Queen," Rathz moved even closer, "You are perfect-ssssssss."

Sha're started to scream but still didn't move. Daniel ran grabbing her away as Buffy started to fight Rathz.

"Shh," Daniel whispered as Sha're started to cry in his arms, "You're safe," he rocked her as her arms locked around his neck holding onto him like a lifeline.

When Buffy finally managed to kill the demon the others moved to check on Sha're who was completely inconsolable. Willow joined Daniel and placed her hand on Sha're's forehead sending the woman into a deep sleep. Daniel gently lifted Sha're and carried her to the car but as he tried to put her down she held onto him.

"Looks like she won't let you go," Xander commented.

Daniel sighed and managed to manoeuvre himself into the backseat with Sha're while Willow took the seat beside him and Buffy rode up front with Xander.

"I don't understand what happened," Buffy said, "Sha're's gone up against demons before. She split the head open of the first one she met."

"I don't think it was the demon," Daniel replied as he gently stroked Sha're's face when she started to whimper in her sleep, "I think it was what it said to her. Remember she had that snake-like parasite in her when she arrived."

"But she doesn't remember that," Xander frowned.

"Her sub-conscious does," Willow told them, "Daniel, I've got a feeling you'll have to stay close to her for the next while."

"I can do that," Daniel murmured not removing his gaze from the woman he was holding.

Daniel carried Sha're up to her room toeing his shoes off getting his jacket off with some help from Xander while the girls pulled back the covers. Daniel placed Sha're on the bed lying beside her and giving the others a wry smile.

"Just turn the light out," he told them, "And I'll see you in the morning."

The three scoobies nodded and after Willow covered the couple they left them alone. Daniel lay watching her in the small light coming from the street lamps. Every so often in her sleep Sha're whimpered and he gathered her even closer.

"Shh," he soothed, "I'm here Sha're, you're completely safe I promise. Just rest and I'll stay with you. Shh."

Sha're settled at his voice and Daniel just lay holding her until he fell asleep himself.

-

Sha're woke up with a start finding her face buried against someone's chest. Moving back slightly she realised it was Daniel and felt her heart beat a little faster. Reaching out she very gently brushed her fingertips to his cheek smiling as he murmured something in his sleep.

It was right then she knew, she knew she was meant to be with Daniel. No matter what she remembered about being betrothed to Raya she knew without a doubt that Daniel was the man she was supposed to be with.

"Hey," Daniel's sleepy murmur made her turn to look into his crystalline blue eyes, "Are you okay?"

Sha're smiled at him, "I am now. I am unsure what it was that..."

"Shh," he whispered, "Its okay."

"It is," Sha're told him moving closer and very gently brushed her lips to his.

Daniel closed his eyes his hand resting on her cheek before he stared at her as she moved away from him, "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes," Sha're whispered, "I know we are meant to be together. Willow's spell was to bring back your life; it stands to reason I am a part of your life since I arrived here because of it."

Daniel couldn't help but smile, "You've thought this out."

"Dan'iel, it is also very unlikely I am ever returning to Abydos," Sha're continued, "And I want to make a life here, with you."

Sha're kissed him again. Daniel allowed the fleeting thought that maybe he had a wife and family somewhere into his mind before he surrendered to Sha're's gentle kiss and wrapped his arms around her returning the kiss with equal fervour.

-

Early the next morning Xander gently opened the door to Sha're's room to check on them. When Willow had checked before she went to bed late last night they'd both been fast asleep but Xander was sure not the same way he'd found them.

It looked like something had obviously happened between them.

"Is she okay?" Willow asked.

"I'd say yes," Xander grinned, "We should just leave them a note."

Willow frowned confused as she followed her friend down to where Buffy was getting ready to leave for work.

"Ladies," Xander said as he was about to leave, "You both owe me twenty bucks."

---------------------------------------------------------

Jack drew up to the house and smiled as his nephew appeared at the door.

"Hey Jack," Oz smiled, "You look good."

Jack climbed out of the car and grabbed Oz's hand in a firm handshake, "You too. Oz meet Cassie."

"Hi," Oz nodded.

"Nice to meet you," Cassie grinned back, "Jack's told me a lot about you."

Oz glanced at Jack questioningly who shook his head slightly.

"Well come in," Oz moved out of the way, "I won't guarantee my cooking is any good but I haven't died yet."

Jack grabbed their bags and followed Oz and Cassie into the house listening as Cassie asked Oz questions. Jack smiled at how healthy and happy his nephew seemed after the last few times they'd talked. Oz seemed to have become very comfortable with himself something Jack had worried would never happen.

-

"Any idea what actually happened to Sunnydale?" Jack asked later that night when Cassie had bade them goodnight.

"What I was told was big, bad evil," Oz explained, "Then some sort of mystical medallion and major explosion."

"Did all your friends get out?" Jack asked.

Oz shook his head, "Anya was killed. I keep thinking I should go see them but it's hard."

"Your ex," Jack said knowingly.

"I can't control myself when I'm around her," Oz explained, "Not like that," he frowned at Jack's amused look, "When I realised she and Tara were coming together I lost it and any control I had disappeared. It wasn't even night and I went wolf."

"So, even though this Tara is gone," Jack started.

"I can't risk it," Oz shrugged.

"You know," Jack closed his eyes leaning back, "When Sara and I divorced I thought that I should stay away from her, let her get on with her life. Instead I more than likely blew my chance of ever getting back the person I love."

"I wouldn't say that," Oz told him as he stood up, "Night Jack."

"Night," Jack nodded returning to his own musing.

-

Oz glanced at the pictures that sat on the table in his room, pictures from his school days where he'd made friends, found someone he loved more than anything and became something dangerous.

When he'd left he never realised how he much he would miss them. He had managed to keep in touch with Xander over the years and he knew where they were but something had always stopped him from re-contacting them. Maybe Jack was right, maybe he should say hi.

--------------------------------------------------------

Daniel frowned staring at the computer screen rubbing his eyes slightly. They were sore and things kept getting blurry.

"What's wrong?" Willow asked seeing his discomfort.

"Just my eyes," Daniel sighed, "They've been getting worse lately."

Willow tilted his head slightly, "We should probably get your eyes checked. You may need glasses."

"Oh God," Xander cried as he stood in the doorway, "Another Giles."

Willow frowned at her friend, "Look, I'll make an appointment."

Daniel nodded his headache was steadily getting worse.

Willow squeezed his shoulder, "Go lie down and rest your eyes for a bit. Okay?"

"Yes ma'am," Daniel smiled at her before he left the room.

-

Daniel stumbled to the room he was now sharing with Sha're. She'd made the decision that they would share about two days after their first night together.

"Dan'iel," Sha're smiled as he entered the room, "Are you alright?"

"Just a headache," Daniel sighed as he dropped onto the bed massaging the bridge of his nose.

"Turn over," Sha're told him sliding onto his back and gently starting to massage his neck, "Does that feel better?"

"Amazingly so," Daniel groaned, "Where did you learn to do this?"

"At home," Sha're replied placing a gentle kiss on his neck, "It is something that I was taught so I could relax my husband," slight bitterness crept into her voice, "So I could serve."

Daniel turned and caught her hands in his looking up at her, "You don't serve me."

"No," Sha're agreed resting against his shoulder, "I love you."

Daniel's arms slipped around her waist as he rested his head against hers, "I love you too."

----------------------------------------------------------

"We'll come and get you guys after we've finished," Xander told Daniel and Willow, "I've got my phone on if you're not going to be here."

"Xander," Willow rolled her eyes, "You told us. Now go."

Xander grinned frowning as Sha're decided to Daniel kiss once more, "Sha're, he'll be safe with Willow for a few hours."

Sha're laughed and returned to the car waving slightly as Xander pulled away before leaning back and watching the world, so different from her own, fly by. It was the weekly ritual of gathering their food supplies for the coming week and Sha're always enjoyed it. Xander was her companion every week through this and he made her laugh as he brought the ways of her new world to her. He was so like her brother, so sharp witted, so willing to find the humour in every situation and loved to tease her.

As they entered the large food store, Sha're smiled as she and Xander moved through the aisles.

"Xander," she said interrupting his rendition of an advertisement jingle, "It is your birthday soon."

"You had to remind me," he rolled his eye.

Sha're gave a soft laugh, "I was wondering if there was anything special you wished me to make for you."

"Really?"

"Of course," she smiled, "It is a special day and should be celebrated. If you tell me what you want I can try and learn to make it."

Xander smiled at her touched by her sweet gesture, "Give me time to think about it."

-

Daniel gave Willow a grimace, "You know I'm a big boy. I could have come myself."

"Daniel, I need to be here," Willow reminded him, "I need to manipulate this a little because you have no ID anywhere."

"Thanks for the reminder," Daniel told her, "So why don't I get some?"

"Because then we would have a little too much interest in us," Willow said, "Which is what we don't want."

"Alright," he laughed, "I remember now."

"There was another reason I wanted to talk to you alone," Willow said, "You know its Xander's birthday soon?"

"Oh was that what his song and dance was about last night?" Daniel asked mockingly.

"Anyway I have the perfect present for him," Willow said, "And I need your help."

"My help?" Daniel tilted his head thoughtfully, "What are you getting him."

"His eye," Willow replied.

"I'm not donating am I?" Daniel asked.

Willow shook her head in frustration, "It's a spell, a very complex one and I need your skills for languages and to borrow your time out of your studying to research it for me."

"No problem," Daniel nodded.

"Your turn," Willow nodded towards the now opening door.

------------------------------------------------------

Giles smiled as Sha're opened the door to him, from his very brief meeting with her and Daniel several weeks ago he had like the others taken both into the circle of people he called his family.

"Hello again," the young woman smiled back at him, "They are all in the dining room waiting for you."

"I take it Dawn is here?" Giles asked as he entered the house.

"She arrived earlier," Sha're told him, "They are looking forward to seeing you again."

Giles followed her in allowing himself a moment as he looked in on the original three members of his family, his gaze was then drawn to Dawn who was laughing as she gave Xander his present, the girl who had gone through so much including finding out she had been created by a group of monks. Sha're slipped past him and into the room, Giles smiled as he saw her trail her hand affectionately across Daniel's neck who smiled at her before she disappeared into the kitchen. Daniel looked up and nodded hello to Giles just before he was engulfed by Willow and Buffy hugging him.

-

"Okay," Willow said turning to Xander after dinner, "I know I haven't given you my present yet. I needed everyone here to give you it."

"Will, what are you up to?" Xander asked worriedly.

"Do you trust me?" Willow asked her friend.

"Of course," Xander answered without hesitation.

Willow grinned and turned to where Daniel had re-entered the room, he gave her a quick nod.

"Come on," she took his hand and led him to where Daniel had set up everything for her.

"Willow?" Xander asked before turning to the others, "Do you guys know what's going on?"

"Only Dan'iel knows," Sha're replied, "And he would not tell me."

"So what's the point of you sleeping with him?" Xander cried in frustration.

"I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons," Buffy grinned making Sha're blush furiously.

Xander stopped seeing the symbols on the floor, "No."

"Xander come on," Willow said, "I promise this will be fine."

"Trust us," Daniel weighed in.

"Okay, okay," Xander sighed stepping into the middle of the circle; he caught Willow's hand as she moved to remove his eye patch, "No."

"Trust me," his best friend whispered and he allowed her to remove it.

Willow stepped back from the circle and started her spell, she saw Buffy, Dawn and Giles standing at one side watching in interest while Daniel stood at the other holding Sha're against him his arms wrapped around her waist.

Light started to fill the circle surrounding Xander as Willow's hair turned pure white before it faded suddenly. Giles caught Willow as she drooped while Buffy and Dawn stared at Xander.

"Xander..." Buffy started in amazement.

Xander shook himself, "What happened?"

Silently Dawn handed him a mirror.

"What?" he asked before looking down and seeing himself, "Will," he gasped as he slowly reached up and gently touched around his new eye, "Oh Will, thank you."

Willow moved to him and hugged her best friend tightly, "Happy birthday. I'm afraid you can't take it back."

Xander started to laugh slightly giddy, "How do I explain this away at work?"

------------------------------------------------------

Jack noticed Oz's hesitancy as Cassie was tossing the last of the bags in the car, "You know you don't have to go."

"I want to though," Oz replied, "Just need to work my way into it."

"We're going through Cleveland anyway," Jack reminded him, "We can stop or keep going, make the choice when we get there."

Oz nodded, "Right."

"Come on guys," Cassie called, "Can we get going before lunch?"

"Shouldn't have taught her how to answer back," Jack muttered under his breath as he and Oz jumped in.

"Ready?" Jack asked.

Oz gave a small smile, "Follow the yellow brick road."

-

Buffy dropped her bag and grimaced, "It's getting bad out there."

"I'm not surprised," Giles said from his chair where he had a book open on his knee, "It's one of the signs."

"Of what?" Buffy demanded.

"The end of the world," Giles teased making Buffy glare at him as he started laughing, "I'm sorry Buffy but I couldn't resist."

"Well, I've got something for you to look into," she tossed him a ring, "Mean anything to you or is it just a really bad fashion accessory?"

"Hm," Giles turned the ring around with a frown, "I'll ask Daniel to look into it."

Buffy looked at him in surprise, "You actually trust him enough for that?"

Giles smiled at his slayer, "Daniel has proven himself more than once as part of this team. And although I still have no idea who he really is I do trust him."

Buffy smiled as she picked the bag up and tossed it in the cupboard under the stairs.

"I'm leaving in a few days," Giles said suddenly.

"Back to work," Buffy said sadly.

"We've still got to locate a lot of slayers and rebuild the council," Giles reminded her, "And I've left Andrew alone for far too long. I'll probably return to find him training new watchers using Dungeons and Dragons."

"I hate that you have to leave," Buffy sighed, "But things had to change."

"I'm always at the other end of the phone," Giles reminded her, "And now Dawn has taught me the email."

Buffy laughed and hugged her mentor, "I have to go get ready for work."

"I'll see you later Buffy," Giles smiled as he picked up his book once more.

-

Daniel turned the ring over and looked at the inscription before glancing over at Sha're who was laying on her stomach on the bed reading a new book, her head at the bottom while she absently kicked the pillow.

He knew he was meant to be looking up everything he could find on the inscription but his lover was distracting him a lot. He did still wish occasionally that he could remember who he was but he was so happy here and now in this place with these people.

"You are supposed to be working," Sha're said without looking up from her book.

Daniel smiled, "It's kind of hard with you there."

"Am I distracting you?" Sha're dropped her book and turned onto her side smiling at him.

"A little," Daniel left the computer and sat on the side of the bed leaning over to kiss her.

Sha're's arms wrapped around his neck pulling him down.

"Want to go out for a while?" Daniel asked softly.

Sha're smiled and nodded, "A little fresh air and then you can get some more work done."

"Only if you're not here," he replied jumping away as she swatted his arm.

-

"You okay Oz?" Jack asked as they pulled up in front of what Jack thought was a pretty nice house.

"Fine," Oz answered with a nod.

"We can go book into a hotel then do this," Jack offered.

"No, I'd rather you were here so I have a way out if things..."

"Don't go the way you hope," Cassie finished for him.

Oz nodded with a small smile before he exited the car and with Jack and Cassie he walked slowly to the door and after a few seconds he knocked.

"Don't worry I'll get it," Giles' voice came from behind the door before it opened and the Watcher stared at their visitor, "Oz?"

"Hi Giles," Oz smiled slightly.

"Giles," Buffy called, "Who is....Oz!!!!!"

Oz smiled as the Slayer grabbed him in a tight hug before she let him go and punched him on the shoulder, "Why haven't you called?"

"Ow," Oz murmured rubbing his arm, "I didn't know if I'd be welcome."

"Looks like you are," Jack said from the door.

"And you are?" Giles asked keeping his voice light but Oz recognised the threat.

"This is Jack O'Neill," Oz introduced, "My uncle and that's Cassie. This is Rupert Giles and Buffy."

"Oz has told me all about you," Jack said as he and Giles shook hands, "It's good to finally meet you."

"You too," Giles said, "Come in. Willow and Xander aren't here but they're due home soon."

As they entered the lounge a squeal of excitement greeted them.

"Oz!!" Dawn threw herself into his arms hugging him.

"You look really grown up," Oz told her.

Dawn smiled before turning to Jack and Cassie, "Hi."

Oz did another round of introductions quickly before he was cornered by Buffy for a rundown on what he'd been doing lately.

"Are you staying nearby?" Giles asked as he sat down.

"We've not booked in anywhere yet," Jack replied taking a seat across from him, "Oz wanted to come here first."

"Well we have room for three more," Buffy said looking up from her conversation, "If you don't mind sharing with Dawn Cassie."

Cassie shook her head, in the few minutes they'd been talking she and Dawn had become great friends.

"Come on I'll show you," Dawn smiled at Oz once more before leading Cassie upstairs.

-

Giles turned back to Oz's uncle, there was something about this man Giles just wasn't too sure about.

"So what do you do Mr O'Neill?"

"It's Colonel," Jack answered with a smile, "Air Force."

"Ah," Giles recognised where he'd felt the tension from, "I never even knew Oz had family. He never talked about them."

"Kid's a quiet one but when you have to deal with the rest of our family it's no wonder," Jack laughed, "He learned to watch silently and knows all the secrets. And he's actually my ex-wife's nephew but we were always kinda close."

"And Cassie?"

"She's a friend's daughter," Jack explained, "But we're close too so since I was making the trip I thought I'd let them meet. I'm not a bad guy in any way."

"I didn't..."

"You look out for your kids," Jack smiled slightly; "I know the feeling."

-

Dawn helped Cassie with her bag and together they sorted out the guest bed Dawn had in her room.

"Where is it you live?" Dawn asked.

"Colorado," Cassie replied, "My Mom works at the same base as Jack, which reminds me I'd better call her and let her know we're alive, Jack's not letting me do whatever I like and he's not getting into any trouble."

"Are they..."

Cassie started to laugh, "No. They're friends. Mom's the base's doctor and loves teasing him about how often he ends up in the infirmary. What about you? Where's your Mom?"

"My Mom died," Dawn sighed.

"Sorry," Cassie whispered, "My real Mom died too."

"My sister is my guardian until I turn eighteen and my Dad is somewhere," Dawn explained, "But Giles is like my Dad sometimes. Then Xander and Willow are like my brother and sister. Then Daniel and Sha're have sort of become that too."

Cassie stared at her; the name Daniel wasn't uncommon but Sha're was.

"What was that?" Cassie asked slowly, "Did you say Sha're?"

"Yeah," Dawn smiled not noticing her new friend's reaction, "It's a gorgeous name isn't it and it really suits her too."

"Are they here?" Cassie asked.

"They went out for a walk about an hour ago," Dawn shrugged, "Dinner won't be until they get back, Sha're runs the kitchen and no one crosses her."

"I need to talk to Jack," Cassie said quickly, "I'll be right back."

Cassie ran down the stairs to find Jack sitting talking to Giles about general things.

"Jack," she called, "I need to talk to you."

"Sure Cass," Jack frowned a little worried by her intensity but before they could move the front door opened.

"Oh," Buffy said, "This is our two newest members."

Jack stared at the man who walked in first, it couldn't be, "Daniel?"