Family by Jessie Carter-ONeill
Summary: Jack and Sam find something that was lost.
Categories: Jack/Sam Characters: None
Episode Related: None
Genres: Future Story, Romance
Holiday: None
Season: Any Season
Warnings: kidnapping, minor language
Crossovers: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 7610 Read: 2306 Published: 2004.10.31 Updated: 2004.10.31
Family by Jessie Carter-ONeill
Family

Family

by Jessie Carter-ONeill

Summary: Jack and Sam find something that was lost.
Category: Future Story, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing(s): Jack/Sam
Rating: 13+
Content: kidnapping, minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/31/04

"Family"

Sam's POV

The two of us were sitting in O'Malley's waiting on our order. Janet, Daniel and Teal'c were waiting for us at my house for our weekly team night. We thought we had lost Janet during the TV thing. But, the Nox came through once again. Back on the subject of tonight though. Jack - General O'Neill - was acting very...very strangely tonight. I'm not sure what possessed me to volunteer to go with him to pick up our food. I just wanted to be alone with him for a while. I hadn't mentioned to him that I'd broken up with Pete a little over a week ago. I gave back the ring and took back my `yes'. After all, I couldn't marry one man when I was in love...deeply in love...with another.

"Did we order everything on Daniel's list?" asked Jack.

"Seven double cheeseburgers with everything and four extra large fries?"

"Yep."

"Yes sir. We ordered everything on the list."

"Carter, how many times do I have to tell you when we're off duty, it's `Jack'. Not `General'. Not `sir'. `Jack'...just `Jack'." He actually sounded exasperated.

I had to laugh. "I'll call you `Jack' when you start calling me `Sam'."

That's when our eyes met across the table...blue staring into brown. This time, neither one of us broke the contact. Even after everything we'd done to each other - after every way we'd hurt each other - we still loved each other. We both still cared about each other "a lot more than we were supposed too". I sighed deeply. But, the regulations were still in place. But, at this point, I couldn't care less. I wanted to be with the man I loved. I wanted...no I needed to be with Jack O'Neill.

"Sam?" he said softly.

"Jack?" I asked equally softly.

"Are you ok?"

"Fine...I'm fine." I looked away first.

"Sam..." he began. I knew he could sense the change.

"Is Kerry coming tonight, sir?" What on earth possessed me to ask that?

He flinched slightly. "Uh...no. We went our separate ways."

"I'm sorry Jack" I said, putting my hand on his arm.

His breath caught in his throat as he stared at my hand on his arm. He shrugged. "She wasn't who I wanted to..." he trailed off and moved his arm out from under my hand.

I looked in his eyes again, but I didn't let my disappointment show. He didn't want me to touch him. That hurt...that really hurt.

"How's Pete?"

I looked away, not wanting him to see the pain in my eyes from his rejection. "Sam?"

"I wouldn't know" I said looking back at him. I took a deep breath. "I gave back the ring and told him I couldn't marry him."

I saw a flash of satisfaction in his eyes before his face slipped into that cool mask he'd perfected over the years. I looked away again. "Why Sam?" he asked softly. "I thought you were happy together?"

I took a deep breath. "I was content...not happy. I...I couldn't be happy with Pete. There's only one man I could be happy with."

We stared at each other for several minutes. Finally, he reached over and caressed my cheek with his hand. I saw the love burning in his eyes. His eyes drifted from my eyes to my lips and then back, as if he were asking for permission. I nodded slightly. He leaned closer and my eyes fluttered shut. As his lips met mine, eight years of love and understanding came fluttering to the surface. His lips parted and he lightly bit my bottom lip. I willingly parted my lips to him and he deepened the kiss.

Unfortunately, at that time, the waitress chose to bring us our order. I'm not sure which one of us groaned when we had to part. Most likely it came from the both of us. Jack placed a quick kiss on my lips and got up from the table to pay for the order. I watched him walk away, enjoying the shape of his ass in his tight fitting jeans. A delicious shiver ran down my spine when he turned around, caught me looking, and winked.

He walked back over and kissed me gently again. "Baby, I'm gonna go warm up the truck. Stay here and keep warm."

Baby? Sweet.

"Ok" I said, giving him one more kiss. Now, that I've tasted the forbidden fruit, so to speak, I couldn't get enough...and God help me, I wanted more...much more.

I stood and walked with him to the door. We were parked by the alley; it was the only place to park on a Friday night.

"Stay inside. I'll be right back." He started to walk away.

"Jack?"

"Hmmm?" He turned back to me.

"I love you" I stated softly, worried about his reaction.

He turned and smiled beautifully at me. "I love you too." With that, he turned and walked to the truck, balancing the food. I stood there for a few minutes, watching him until he passed out of sight.

A few minutes later he came back. "Miss me?" he joked, pulling me out the door and into his arms. It was cold outside...very cold. Probably around 20.

"Every second you were away" I said seriously, wrapping my arms around his neck and pulling his lips down to mine.

He eagerly deepened the kiss when I parted my lips. We drew apart when we needed to breathe. He buried his head in the crook of my neck.

"God, I love you so much," he said breathing heavily. "I just never realized how much until I thought I'd lost you forever to Pete."

"I know Jack. I just never thought we'd get to this point. I'd all but given up hope."

"I know baby. But, we're here now...and what we do when we're alone is our business...nobody else's."

I shivered as he caressed my back. "Cold?"

"A little," I said as he drew me closer into his embrace.

"Let's go. The truck's running and it's warm inside."

He pressed one last kiss to my lips and released me, but slid his hand down my arm and weaved his fingers with mine.

We were almost to the truck when I heard something in the alley. It sounded like crying. I stopped walking.

"Sam? What's wrong baby?"

"I thought I heard something," At that moment, we both heard it...crying, sobbing.

He let go of my hand and went to the truck to get his nine-mil. When he returned, he motioned for me to get behind him as he was the one who was armed. There was no telling what was waiting for us in that alley and Jack was going to protect me. It made me feel good.

We walked all the way to the end of the alley and then turned around. I saw the bundle first. Something was under a pile of newspapers. I put my hand on Jack's arm, motioning for him to stop walking. He looked at me expectantly.

"Sam?" he whispered.

"Newspapers," I mouthed, pointing to the bundle.

A sob came from under the papers and they moved. It sounded like a child. He put up the nine-mil.

"Hello?" I said softly.

"It's ok. We won't hurt you," said Jack.

We both gasped as the tear-stained face of a blonde-haired little girl poked itself out from under the papers. She couldn't have been more than five or six years old. I took a step towards her. She whimpered and backed up against the dumpster.

Jack motioned for me to kneel on the newspapers. "It's ok little one. We're not gonna hurt you."

He moved to kneel beside me and she whimpered again. "What's your name sweetheart?" I asked.

She only stared, tears still streaming down her face.

"I'm Sam Carter. This is Jack O'Neill" I said.

"And you are?" asked Jack softly.

She took a shuddering breath. "Jenny" she whispered.

"Jenny. That's a pretty name" I said.

"Jenny, whatcha doin?" asked Jack. "Sleeping" she said.

I looked at Jack with horror on my face, the same look on his. "Wouldn't you be more comfortable at home?" I asked.

"Don't got one" she said sadly.

"Where are your parents?" asked Jack.

"Don't got any" she said softly.

"Jenny, how old are you?" I asked.

"Five."

"Where do you live?"

"Here...nowhere" she whispered.

I looked again at Jack. He was struggling with something, eyes shut. His eyes opened and looked at me. Apparently, he'd made some sort of decision. He stood up and held his hand out for me. I took it and he helped me to stand.

"Bye Sam...bye Jack" she said sadly, laying back down and covering herself with the newspapers. We heard her begin to cry again.

I looked at Jack and was surprised at the depth of emotion on his face. "We're taking her with us," he said softly.

I nodded with relief evident on my face. I turned back to her. "Jenny?"

"Huh?" she asked, not moving.

"Come on. You're coming with us."

She poked her head out again. "What?"

I held my hand out to her. "You're coming home with us."

"Really?'

"Yeah baby," said Jack.

She stood and that's when we both realized she was wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt...in 20 weather!

She must've been freezing. "Stay with her. I'm gonna get a blanket out of the truck" he said moving towards the truck again.

She stood there shivering uncontrollably. "Come on Jack," I whispered urgently.

As if on cue, he appeared with the blanket. "Here. Wrap it around her. It's not much, but it will keep her a little warmer than she is."

I took the blanket from him and walked toward her. She tensed as though she would run at any minute. "Easy baby girl," I whispered. "I'm not gonna hurt you." She stood stiff and still while I wrapped the blanket around her. I picked her up and she whimpered slightly.

Jack held the door open while I climbed inside with her in my arms. Even with the heater running full blast, her skin was like ice. She didn't say another word. She'd actually fallen asleep. That's when I realized we weren't going to my house.

"Jack?"

"Hmmm?"

"I thought we were going to my house."

"Mine's bigger...and...this way, I can get Daniel to stop by Wal-Mart and get her some warm clothes. Can you see what size she wears?"

"Yeah," I said, positioning her to look at the size on her t-shirt. "Shirt size is `extra small." I moved her again and she whimpered. I could feel her ribs through the blanket. I could make out slight bruises on her legs as I checked her shorts' size. "Shorts or panties should be extra small too."

He picked up his cell phone and dialed my number. "Janet...it's Jack. Do me a favor. Sam and I are on our way to my house. I need you too meet us there, but there's something you need to do first." He paused and listened for a second. "Yeah. Go by Wal-Mart and pick up some clothes for a little girl...pajamas, socks, panties, jeans, and sweaters...all size extra small" He turned to me. "What size shoe?"

I looked down. "I don't know. She's not wearing any."

He swore softly before returning to the conversation with Janet. "Get some baby shampoo and soap too." He stopped talking and listened to Janet as he looked at me holding this little girl and smiled. "She's five. Hey...pick up one of those Carebear thingies too ok?" He listened again. "Janet, please...just do it. I'll pay you for everything when you get to my place. I'll explain everything, just do it ok? Thanks."

"Well?"

"She said they'd be there in about twenty minutes. That's about what it'll take for us to get there."

"That'll work."

We got to Jack's house at the same time as Janet, Daniel and Teal'c. Jenny was still asleep as Jack took her out of my arms and carried her into the house. All three of them stared with wide eyes as he laid her on the couch. She woke up, saw the three of them standing there staring at her, and began to cry.

Jack and I were immediately by her side. "Easy baby girl. You're ok," I said taking her into my arms. Jack stroked her hair as I stroked her back, trying to calm her down.

"You're ok little one," said Jack softly.

She cried for a few minutes more, then the tears gradually stopped...but she continued to tremble. "Jack can you go start a bath for her? Her skin is like ice."

"Sure," he said taking the bags from Daniel and going into the bathroom.

Janet, Daniel and Teal'c continued to stare. "Ummm...Sam, what's going on? Who's this?" asked Daniel.

"Her name is Jenny," I said, shuffling her to where she could see them. "Jenny...this is Janet Fraiser, Daniel Jackson, and Teal'c. They're friends." "Hi," she said shyly, hiccupping through her tears. I was kind of worried that she'd be afraid of Teal'c. But, while her eyes lingered on Teal'c, she gave him a shy smile. Teal'c smiled back.

"I am pleased to meet you Jenny," said Teal'c in his deep voice.

"Sam? Her bath is ready," called Jack from the hallway.

"You ready?" I asked her.

She nodded slightly. I carried her into the bathroom and tried to undress her, but she held tight to the blanket. Jack was standing there trying to help, but she refused to let go of the blanket.

"I can do it. Turn around," she said to both of us...no...pleading with us.

We did as she asked and when we turned back around, she was in the tub, bubbles up to her chin.

Jack kissed me lightly on the lips. "If you need me, I'll be out there trying to explain this."

"Jack, can you put her clothes on to wash? They might irritate her if they're not washed."

"Sure thing," He kissed me again and left the room.

I turned back to Jenny. She was splashing in the water...thoroughly enjoying her bubble bath. "Having fun?" I asked with a laugh.

"Yes" she said with a beautiful smile.

I walked over to her and picked up the baby shampoo. "Want me to wash your hair?"

"Can I play for a little bit?" she said, smiling again, but this time it didn't reach her eyes.

"No problem sweetheart," I said stroking her cheek. "I think Janet picked up some bath toys too." I dug through the bag and found some Carebear toys for the bath. I put them in with her and watched in amazement as the shy, terrified little girl from earlier played with wild abandon.

About twenty minutes later, I looked up to see Jack standing in the doorway smiling. He brought in the clothes that he'd washed for her. "Whatcha doin?"

I smiled at him. "Playing with her."

"Hi Jack," she said. She smiled up at Jack and his entire face lit up. Yep. Told you she had a beautiful smile.

"Having fun little one?" he asked.

"Yep. Sam's playing Carebears with me."

"You ready to get out?"

"Sam said she had to wash my hair."

"I'll leave you two to it then," he said with a wink and a smile before turning around and leaving.

"You ready for me to wash your hair?" I asked her.

"Ok." I poured some water on her hair using the cup on the sink. I poured the shampoo in my palm and massaged it into her hair. She flinched when I touched a spot on the back of her head. Once I rinsed her hair, parted it looking for the spot that had caused her to flinch. She had a knot on her head that was slightly bloody.

"Jenny what happened to your head?"

"I fell," she said in a monotonous voice.

I let it go for now. She'd washed the front part of her body, but couldn't reach her back. "Stand up and I'll wash your back."

She hesitated. "Sam?"

"Yeah baby?"

"If I do, will you promise me that you won't tell anyone?" she said softly.

"Tell anyone what?"

"Promise me...please," she begged.

I didn't know what was going on. "I promise," I said.

She stood up and I washed the backside of her body. When I rinsed her off, I saw the bruises...many of them....all over her small body. I slowly and gently turned her around. She had bruises on her chest and abdomen too.

"Jenny, who did this to you?"

"I can't tell you."

"Jenny...I don't want to break my promise, but Jack and Janet need to see this too."

"Why?" she started crying. I put my arms around her, not caring if I got wet or not.

"Janet's a doctor. She can help you. And Jack? Well, he should know."

She looked defeated. "I'm scared."

I put my hand on her cheek. "I know baby, but remember what Jack said? We won't hurt you."

"Ok," she said softly.

I helped her out of the tub and gently dried her off before putting her panties on her. I think every thing Janet bought had Carebears on them. I wrapped the towel around her. "Stay here...I'm gonna go get Jack and Janet, ok?"

She looked so sad. When she nodded, I kissed her on the forehead and walked out of the bathroom. "Where's she at?" asked Jack.

"Jack...you and Janet need to come with me" I said in a trembling voice.

Jack stepped towards me and took me in his arms. "What's wrong Sam?"

"Please Jack...just come with me." He let me go and took my hand in his.

They all started towards me, but I held up my hand. "Just Jack and Janet, guys...for now. She might not want you to see this."

"Sam?" asked Jack.

"Please Jack...just trust me."

He nodded and I led them into the bathroom. Jenny had her back to us. I let go of Jack's hand and walked around her. She was still trembling.

"It's ok baby girl. Jack's here and so is Janet," I said kneeling in front of her and pulling her into my arms. "I have to take the towel off ok?" I whispered as she laid her head on my shoulder.

"Ok," she whimpered into my shoulder.

I motioned for them to come closer. When Jack was kneeling behind her, I pulled off the towel. He gasped at the sight of the bruises marring her small body. Janet knelt behind her, pushing Jack out of the way.

"Jenny how did this happen?" Janet asked.

"I fell," she said in that same monotonous voice from earlier. I felt her tears soaking into my shirt.

"Jenny...you didn't get these from falling," Jack whispered.

"He..."

"He what?"

"He hurt me."

"Who hurt you?" asked Jack with barely controlled anger.

"I can't tell you," she whispered.

"From what I can tell, nothing is broken, but I need to examine her more thoroughly," said Janet.

Jenny shivered and I held her tighter. Jack let me hold her for a few minutes and then he put his hands on her shoulders and gently turned her around. He gasped again when he saw the bruises on her chest and abdomen. She wouldn't look at him.

"Sam, give me that pj top," he said softly.

I handed it to him as he knelt in front of her and tilted her head to look at him. She was still crying. "Hold your arms up baby," he said. She did and he slid the shirt on her. "Pants" he said. I handed those to him and he helped her into them. He sat her down on the toilet. "Socks." He put those on her too.

When she was dressed, he stood and held his arms out for her. She stood there looking up at him with tears and sadness in her eyes. "It's ok little one. I won't hurt you."

She let him pick her up and I heard him whisper "No one will ever hurt you again."

He carried her into the living room and, when I sat down on the couch, he sat her on my lap. She wouldn't look at anyone.

"You hungry Jenny?" I asked.

"Yes," she whispered.

Janet spoke up. "Hey guys, we picked her up a cheeseburger Happy Meal."

I carried her into the kitchen and sat her on Jack's lap. Teal'c and Daniel dug into their burgers with gusto. I'd lost my appetite and from what I could tell, so had Jack and Janet.

Jack motioned for me to lean close to him. "Go fix up the guest room for her. The Carebear's on the bed," he whispered.

"And where am I supposed to sleep?" I whispered back.

"With me of course," he whispered with a grin.

I kissed him gently to hoots and hollers from Daniel and Janet, before leaving to fix up the room. The only thing needed doing was I had to turn back the bed. As I walked back into the kitchen, Jenny jumped off Jack's lap and ran over to the trash can. Leaning over it, she threw up violently. I ran to her side and held her hair out of her way.

When she finished, she was collapsed against me with weakness and fear.

"Damn it! I should've known better than to give you a full meal like that. Your stomach isn't ready for that," exclaimed Jack.

He was right. I could feel and see every one of her ribs poking through her frail body. She trembled and sobbed violently as I put her back on Jack's lap.

"Jack do you have any beef broth?" asked Janet.

"In the cupboard above the sink" he said.

She fixed a cup of it while Jack and I tried to calm Jenny down. She'd quit crying, but she was shaking so badly. She was so weak. She coughed slightly.

"Jenny, how long have you been living at O'Malley's?" asked Teal'c.

"I dunno...a while."

"Where did you live before?" asked Daniel.

She shook her head. "I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

She closed her eyes and a single tear escaped her blue eyes. I reached out without thinking and brushed it away from her cheek. "It's ok baby. You're safe now."

"Why can't you tell us where you live?" asked Daniel. He hadn't seen what we had seen.

"Daniel, back off and leave her alone!" said Jack angrily.

"Here, Jack. See if you can get her to drink this" said Janet, handing a cup of beef broth to Jack.

He tasted it before he held it out to her. I guess he was testing to see if it was too hot for her. "Here little one. Drink this."

"I don't wanna get sick again," she hiccupped.

"You won't. I promise. This is what we should've given you to begin with. Your stomach just needs to get used to food," said Jack.

She looked so helpless at him that I thought he was going to cry...hell, I thought I was going to cry. But, no. He held the broth for her as she sipped it. We both decided to eat our burgers while she was drinking her broth. That way, we would have enough energy to keep up with a five year old. Then I got her a glass of water and Jack made her drink that also.

After we ate, we made our way back into the living room. Jack sat her on my lap and I wrapped my arms around her. He sat behind me with his arms around both of us. We started watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Teal'c loved those movies. Jenny seemed to like the movie. I'd gotten the books for Cassie and was kind of concerned that this movie would be too dark for a five year old. But, she seemed to enjoy it.

When the credits rolled, I shifted her to ask how she liked the movie. She was unresponsive. "Jenny?"

I shook her a little, just to make sure she was ok. She moaned. "Leave me alone...sleepy," she mumbled.

I laughed, not realizing that I was getting frantic about this child that I'd just met. "Jack."

"Yeah babe?" He was slipping easily into terms of endearment.

I grinned at the looks on Janet and Daniel's face. "She's asleep."

He moved to where he could see her. "She's so cute."

"She sure is. Hey! Let's get a picture of the three of you together," said Janet.

I looked at Jack who just grinned at me. "Sure...why not," he said.

Daniel got his camera out and snapped a picture of the three of us...Jack with his arms around me and me with my arms around a sleeping Jenny. He got a strange look on his face.

"Something wrong Daniel?" asked Jack.

"No...just thinking."

"In that case, we're gonna go lay this little one down," said Jack standing and holding his hands out to take her.

I let him and she immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and snuggled closely to him. He grinned widely and held her closer. We all smiled at that. Brigadier General Jack O'Neill brought to his knees by a five year old girl. I followed them into the guest bedroom and watched as he lay her down on the bed and covered her up. He put the Carebear beside her and she automatically wrapped her small arm around it.

He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. "Sleep well little one," he whispered.

I smiled as he turned around and pulled me into his arms. But, even though I was happier than I had been in years, there was something nagging me in the back of my mind. As much as I enjoyed finally being in the arms of the man that I loved, I had to voice something.

"Jack?"

"Hmmm?" he said, burying his face in my neck. I'd always known he was a neck man. "Do you notice something about Jenny?"

He backed up a little and said "Like what?"

"She seems familiar to me...like I should know her," I said.

I saw the look of shock on his face. "Me too," said Jack hesitantly. At least it wasn't just me. "Sam?"

"Hmmm?" I said stepping back into his embrace.

"Do you realize who she looks like?"

"Yeah."

"How can that be though? How can she look so much like you?"

"What!" I exclaimed. "I don't think so!" I backed away from him.

"But, you just agreed!"

"I thought you were going to say she looks like..."I trailed off, not wanting to say the name of his dead son.

"Like who?"

I shook my head. He pulled me back into his arms and kissed me gently. "Like who Sam?" he asked before burying his head in my neck again.

I took a deep breath. "Like Charlie. I thought you were going to say she looks like Charlie," I said softly.

His head jerked away from my neck and he stared at me in shock. He dropped his arms from around me and just stared at me open-mouthed.

"Jack?" I reached for him.

He jerked away and turned back to stare at the little girl on the bed. Long agonizing minutes passed before he spoke.

"Oh God! She does look like Charlie!" he said with a sob.

I pulled him into my arms and held him as he cried softly, not wanting to wake Jenny. A few minutes later, he stepped out of my embrace and wiped his tears away. "I'm sorry," he said shakily.

"For what Jack? For letting me see you cry?" I asked hesitantly.

"No. For slobbering all over your shirt," he said with a slight grin.

"I love you Jack," I said wiping away a stray tear sliding down his face.

"I love you too Sam," he said reciprocating by wiping a lonely tear from my face.

"What are we going to do Jack?"

"I don't know baby," he said pulling me back into his arms.

He held me for a few minutes and then turned and kissed Jenny again on the cheek. This time, I followed his lead and kissed her gently on the forehead. She coughed again. We turned and he took me by the hand and led me from the room.

We entered the living room just in time to hear Daniel ask "If she's theirs what are we gonna do?"

"If she's ours, the first thing we're gonna do is contact the Asgard," said Jack.

They all jerked around in shock. "Jack...we were just..." stammered Daniel.

"I know Daniel. We were thinking the same thing. I think she looks like Sam and we both think she looks like Charlie," said Jack quietly.

"Janet, can you do a DNA test?" I asked.

"Yes, but I would need a sample of her blood or hair."

"Here," I said pulling a small blonde hair off Jack's shirt and handed it to Janet.

"Your DNA is on file at the SGC so that shouldn't be a problem."

"Thanks Janet," I said.

"No problem. Hey if you want a ride back to your place, we're fixing to leave."

I blushed and turned to look at Jack. "Nah. I'm gonna stay here tonight. I want to be close to Jenny tonight."

Jack grinned and Daniel tried to smother his own grin.

"Uh sure. Ok. We'll see you guys tomorrow."

We said our `goodbyes' and watched as they left, only to have Janet return with a bag that she handed me.

"What's this?"

"Thought you might need a change of clothes," she said with a big grin.

I know I blushed hotly. Jack laughed out loud. "Damn," I said watching Janet leave again.

"Well, Ms. Carter...whaddya wanna do now?"

I sat the bag down and wrapped my arms around Jack's neck. "Hmmm...I can think of a few things I'd like to do," I said kissing him gently.

"Oh really," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist. He led me, backwards, to his bedroom. "Like what?"

"Like this," I said and proceeded to give him the most erotic kiss of his life, breaking only when we both required oxygen.

"God Sam!"

I smiled and placed my hand on his cheek. He turned his face into my palm and kissed it gently. "Make love to me Jack."

--------------------------------------------

We made love many times that night and fell asleep in each others' arms. I felt safe in his arms. I felt loved in his arms. Above all, I was happy.

Around 0330 we both woke up to someone coughing. It took us a moment to realize it was Jenny. We quickly threw clothes on and ran into the guest room. She was thrashing on the bed, coughing uncontrollably. Jack reached her first.

"Jenny? Wake up little one," he said pushing her damp hair out of her eyes. "Damn! She's burning up!"

I ran to get the rest of my clothes on. I grabbed my cell phone and called Janet while I was waiting for Jack to finish dressing. We were taking her to the SGC infirmary. If she was ours, we didn't want anyone from the local hospital seeing the bruises on her body. Jack was wrapping her in a blanket for the trip as I made the call.

"Fraiser," she mumbled.

"Janet, it's Sam. Look, I'm sorry to wake you and Daniel, but something's wrong with Jenny. We need you to meet us at the infirmary," I said hurriedly, trying to catch up with Jack.

"What's wrong with her?"

"She can't stop coughing and she's running a high fever. Please Janet. Can you meet us there?"

"We'll be there in fifteen minutes," she said before hanging up.

I got in the truck and Jack sat Jenny on my lap. She'd woken up and was crying. "Shhh baby. It's ok."

"Mommy my chest hurts," she gasped before harsh coughs wracked her body. I was almost as if she couldn't get enough air in her lungs.

Mommy. What if it's true? How can it be true though?

I tried to keep her calm...hell, I tried to keep myself and Jack calm, on the way to the hospital. He parked the truck in front of the SGC entrance and jumped out. Running over to my side, he threw open the door and took Jenny from me. I followed closely as he ran inside.

"You can't park there, General" said an Airman.

We ignored him, not really caring that we were parked in a no-parking zone. All we cared about was the sick little girl in Jack's arms.

"Jack!" I saw that Janet and Daniel had beaten us to the SGC.

"Daniel, go move Jack's truck. The keys are in it," I said, rushing past him, still following Jack.

Daniel ran outside to move the truck as Jack, Jenny, Janet, and myself rode the elevator down to the infirmary. Once there, Janet took over and wouldn't let us near Jenny as they ran some tests. Jack and I both paced back and forth outside the infirmary. Daniel joined us about twenty minutes later.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"We woke up and she was coughing and burning up," I said shakily. Jack pulled me into his arms and held me closely.

"She's gonna be alright baby. I know she is," he said.

Janet walked out. "Janet, how is she?"

"She's sleeping. She has double pneumonia and a severe case of strep throat. I've given her antibiotics to fight the infection and the fever."

"How high was her fever?" asked Daniel.

"105," said Janet.

"Damn!"

"We were able to bring it down to 102, but can't get it down any further."

"Is she going to be ok doc?" asked Jack.

"I think so. I'm not sure how long she'd been in this weather. It's bad, General. I'm not going to lie to you. She's so malnourished and weak that she may not come out of it for a while." She stopped talking at looked at both of us funny. "I thought you might want to know, she's got the same blood type as you and Sam."

"One obstacle down. When can you do the DNA?"

"I've started on that. It's going to take a while though."

"Janet, can we see her?" I asked.

"Yes. I've put another bed in the room for the two of you and took out the security cameras," she said with a grin.

"Thanks doc," said Jack, taking my hand and leading me into the infirmary.

I broke down when I saw her lying on that bed. She looked so small and fragile. They were giving her oxygen and trying to clear her lungs. She had an i.v. in one arm administering antibiotics and an i.v. in the other arm administering nutrients.

We crawled into the other bed and Jack wrapped his arms around me, comforting me. "I love you Sam."

"I love you too Jack," I said yawning. We fell asleep in each others' arms facing Jenny.

------------------------------------

Three days later

Jack's POV

George Hammond had come in for a few days to take control while Sam and I were with Jenny. Sam and I had just finished breakfast when Janet called us back to the infirmary. Jenny was waking up. She'd been coming out of her drug induced sleep for about twenty minutes when we got there. Once there, the phone rang. "Fraiser." She listened for a few seconds. "General, it's for you. It's the President."

I looked at Sam with a grin. She was standing by Jenny's bed stroking her hair and trying to remain calm. I kissed her gently on the forehead. "It's ok baby. I'll explain everything to him."

"I'm not worried."

"Good," I said, kissing her again.

Janet cleared her throat. "Jack? The President."

Sam laughed. "Go answer the phone flyboy."

"O'Neill," I said into the phone.

"General, it's good to hear your voice."

"Uh, yours too Mr. President. How's the wife and kids?"

"They're good, Jack. And yours? Sam and Jenny right?"

My world came crashing down and I know I paled. "What?" I whispered.

"Sam and Jenny. Your wife and daughter. How are they?"

I dropped the phone. "Jack?" said George, picking up the phone.

"Oh my God!" I whispered, walking unsteadily towards Sam and Jenny.

"Jack? What's wrong?" asked Sam.

I put my hands on her face. "He said...he said..." I couldn't go any further. The tears starting falling.

"What did he say Jack?" she asked quietly, putting her hands on top of mine and looked into my eyes.

"He said that we're married and Jenny is our daughter."

As I said it, the memories came flooding back. The President had given General Hammond leeway over some of the regulations...one of those being the frat regs.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~

I took Sam up to the top of the mountain, away from prying eyes and ears. We'd both just been given the new fraternization regulations and we had much to discuss. I knew that even after the Zatarc incident, my feelings for her had never changed. I'd tried to distance myself, but found it damn near impossible. I loved her with all my heart, mind, and soul. But, I didn't know where she stood.

"Colonel, what are we doing up here?" she asked quietly, not facing me.

"Sam, three years ago, we were forced to tell how we felt about each other."

"I remember."

"We agreed to leave it in that room, remember?"

"Yes sir."

"Sam?"

"Sir?"

"Don't call me `sir' right now."

"Jack."

"That's better."

"Why are we up here Jack?"

"You read the new rules."

"Yes."

"I was wondering if anything that we said back then still held true."

She turned to look at me. The sun was setting behind the mountain, creating a beautiful backdrop for Samantha Carter. The blue in her eyes was a sight to behold. I'm not a romantic man, but I loved her so much. I held my breath waiting for her answer.

"I can honestly say that I still love you Jack."

I held my arms out to her and she didn't hesitate. I wrapped my arms around her and buried my head in her neck, kissing her gently. "I love you too Sam."

~~~~~~~~~~~ End Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~

On top of that memory, came another one.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends." "I, Jonathan O'Neill, take you, Samantha Carter, to be my wife. To have and to hold you from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health. I promise to love you and cherish you, and be faithful to you until the end of time...and longer." "I, Samantha Carter, take you, Jonathan O'Neill, to be my husband. To have and to hold you from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, or for poorer, in sickness and in health. I promise to love you and cherish you, and be faithful to you until the end of time...and longer." "By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride Jack."

I leaned in and kissed Sam, dipping her as I did that day during the time loop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ End Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~

And another.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on baby. You can do this."

"I can't do this Jack!"

"You're strong, Sam. You can do this. Just focus and push."

"Ahhhhhhh!!!!!" screamed Sam, giving one final push.

Within moments, our child had entered the world. "Janet?"

"Congratulations you two. It's a girl!"

"A girl! I have a daughter!"

"Let me get her cleaned up and I'll be right back with her."

I leaned over and kissed Sam on the forehead. "Hi mom."

She smiled weakly. "Hi dad."

"Thank you Sam," I whispered.

"For what?"

"For giving me my life back. For giving me a second chance at being a father. For loving me."

"You don't have to thank me for that Jack," she said softly.

"Here you go mom and dad," said Janet, placing our daughter in Sam's arms.

She opened her eyes and I realized she had Sam's eyes. That's all I wanted. I held my pinky our and let her grasp it.

"Hey little one. I'm your daddy," I said with tears in my eyes.

"And I'm your mommy," said Sam, leading the small mouth to her breast for her first meal.

"She's beautiful Sam. Just like her mommy."

"Have you two thought of a name?" asked Janet.

"Yes," said Sam. "Jennifer Catherine O'Neill."

"I'm gonna call her `Jenny'," I said, earning a mock-stern look from Sam. "But, for now, I'll call her perfect."

~~~~~~~~~~~~ End Flashback ~~~~~~~~~~~~

They wouldn't stop. The memories came flooding back like a tidal wave. Her first steps. Her first word, which was "daddy". She loved it when Sam gave her a bath. She loved Carebears even when she was an infant. The final memory to return was that of the day she was taken. The pain of that day returned in full force.

Sam gasped and I knew then the memories were coming back to her too. "God Jack! How...how could we have forgotten?" she cried out. I took her in my arms and held her tightly as we both cried.

"Jack, what's going on?" asked Daniel.

George spoke up. "Jack, Sam. I now remember everything too."

We looked up. "Asgard. It has to be," I said tearfully.

"What has to be Jack?" asked Daniel.

George answered for me, his voice full of emotion. "Jack and Sam have been married for seven years. Jenny is their daughter."

Everyone in the infirmary heard this and the memories returned with a vengeance. Gasps were heard all around the infirmary. Teal'c ran out of the room only to quickly return with the Asgard communication device.

I took it, never letting go of Sam and activated it. Thor immediately appeared. "O'Neill. Is there a problem?"

"Yeah I'd say there was a problem. I want to know where in the hell the memories of the last seven years of my life have gone?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've been married to Sam for seven years. We have a five year old daughter. But, for some reason, none of us remembered this until about five minutes ago. And then, the memories stop when she was three years old...when she was taken from us by the Asgard."

"We did not do this O'Neill."

I let go of Sam. "Bullshit! I know it was the Asgard. I remember the night my daughter was taken! It was an Asgard beam!"

"Loki."

"What?"

"It had to have been Loki."

"Isn't that the one who created mini-me?" I asked.

"Yes."

"I want him Thor...and I want him now."

Just then, Loki appeared. "Loki, what have you done?" asked Thor.

Loki spotted Jenny. "I have been looking for this child for three months. Give her back to me."

"Thor! Keep him away from her!" I yelled, reaching behind me for Jenny.

Jenny chose that moment to wake up. As with the rest of us, she remembered everything. "Mommy? Daddy?" she said sleepily.

We both reached for her and Sam picked her up and held her on her lap. "Mommy's here baby."

She saw Loki and panicked. "No!!! No Loki!!!" she screamed and huddled against Sam.

"Loki what have you done?" repeated Thor.

"This is the child that while save the Asgard race. I took her two years ago to run some experiments," said Loki. "She escaped from me three months ago and I have been searching for her. Give her to me."

"Thor, either you get him out of here or I will kill him," I said angrily.

Loki disappeared. "I apologize for this General O'Neill...Colonel Carter. I will make sure that Loki will harm no one else." With that he too disappeared.

I turned and took Jenny from my Sam and held her tightly. "My baby girl. My sweet baby girl!" I sobbed.

"Daddy? Where was you and mommy? I cried for you but you never came," she said crying too.

"I know baby. We didn't know where you were."

"He hurt me daddy."

I tightened my grip on her. "I know baby. But, he'll never hurt you again. I promise."

With those two words, I took my wife by the hand and together, we carried our daughter out of the SGC. No one tried to stop us. No one dared to try. We had two years of her life to catch up on. With, or without the permission of the Air Force, we were going to be a family.

1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Jessie Carter-ONeill
This story archived at http://sg1-heliopolis.com/adult/viewstory.php?sid=229